Top 5 2022 SuperCoach Locks
Hello JR team, I hope you’re all fit and firing and as PUMPED as I am for Round 1.
Today I’m going to take you through the top 5 players who I believe you need to absolutely lock into your starting Supercoach team in 2022.
I look forward to chewing the fat with you in the comments below, or over on twitter where you’ll find me talking Supercoach here.
Righto – let’s crack in;
5. Brodie Grundy (COLL – $627,100 – RUC)
I feel as if Grundy finishes the season as the #1 Supercoach ruckman.
Reportedly revitalized by Craig McRae’s fresh air, he’s trimmed down and is frothing at the chops to rip 2022 to shreds.
He managed to average 115 in 2021 despite having an underwhelming season by his standards and he has the potential to do something seriously special in 2022.
The thing that’s so appealing to me about selecting Grundy at R1 is his scoring profile. It really is unique for a ruckman and makes his scoring ceiling massive;
Grundy in a ‘mediocre’ 2021;
- 10.5 hitouts to advantage per game. Second only to Nic Nat.
- 4.4 tackles per game. Number 1 for ruckman playing over 5 games.
- 19.1 possessions per game. Number 1 for ruckman.
Not bad for a season where you could argue he was a bit off the boil.
Rewind to 2019 where he averaged 131SC per game, he was even better in all of those stats.
That’s where he’s headed with a new lease on life in 2022.
4. Tom Mitchell (HAW – $638,100 – MID)
Tom Mitchell averaged 129SC in 2018 to stamp himself as a true Supercoach Beast.
Then he busted his leg. That’s bad for footy playing people.
Then he started slowly getting back to Tom Mitchell levels in 2020..
Then he stuffed his shoulder, needed a reco and missed a big chunk of the 2021 preseason.
Then, having built his match fitness in the early part of 2021 he became Tom Mitchell again after the bye;
|2018 AVG||Post-bye 2021|
|Hard / Loose Ball Gets||9.8||8.3|
Then I locked him in as one of my first picked in 2022
3. Jake Lloyd (SYD – $586,600 – DEF)
If you haven’t yet listened to any of the JR preseason podcasts you need to do that quickly. Then devour them as soon as new ones are released – absolutely essential stuff-them-in-your-ears stuff listen to the latest here with Lek, Patch and Damo in awesome form.
Having said that – I can’t agree on Jake Lloyd not being a lock, Damo. Sorry.. I just can’t not have him in my 2022 starting team. Yes he’s a touch pricey, but this is a pricey I’m more than happy to pay.
He’s averaged 10 points more than any other 2022 DEF eligible player since the start of the 2019 season.
His scoring output was impacted slightly with Jordan Dawson waxing with him on his role and also those delicious kickouts in 2021. Dawson’s gone to Adelaide now so I reckon Lloyd will build his average close to 2020 levels in 2022.
He’s priced to average 109. Will he reach the 122+ we saw him average in 2020? That might be a bit of a stretch but he’s locked hard into my 2022 team.
2. Steven Coniglio (GWS – 261,300 – MID/FWD)
Cogs being awarded GWS Captaincy
I don’t really need to write words about this one do I?
He’s priced to average 49 Supercoach points. He’s FWD eligible. Pls.
Cogs should feel a little lighter on his feet in 2022 now sharing the captaincy role that has clearly weighed heavy on him.
He’s been almost pure MID in all preseason sims so far. He’s owned by 65% of us. I reckon the other 35% should jump on too.
1. Lachie Neale (BRL – 543,200 – MID)
Lachie Neale is priced to average 101 in Supercoach 2022.
That’s a lonnnnngg way off the 134SC he averaged in his Brownlow winning 2020 season.
So what happened in 2021?
A preseason calf niggle meant he was underdone to begin the season. He battled that niggle in the early rounds. He then stuffed his ankle badly in round 6 and took a long spell. He came back in round 12, showed glimpses of Lachie Neale – but battled in parts for much of the remainder of the season.
Fact – you can’t do Supercoach Midfield Beast things without a solid preseason, and certainly not with multiple injuries throughout the season.
Even so, Lachie gave us a glimpse of what was in store in 2022 in his last 3 games of the season which included finals. He averaged;
- 5 tackles
- A massive 12.3 hard / loose ball gets
- 34 disposals, 50% of them contested
- 7.3 clearances
Word is he is the fittest and hungriest he’s ever been.