add_filter('comment_flood_filter', '__return_false');

The Curious Case Of Caleb Daniel

Published by Lekdog on

Lekdog and Azza break down all of the chaos from Round 4 and look ahead to Round 5.

Are value selections Impey, Walker and Ziebell keepers?

What do we do with Caleb Daniel?

Who are the must-have bargain-buys?

All these questions and more are analysed in this week’s podcast, time codes below:

1:50 – Caleb Daniel’s 19 points and subsequent suspension
6:50 – Why won’t the AFL change the time for lineup announcements?
7:30 – Caleb Daniel/Shannon Hurn/Steven May replacements
14:10 – Zak Butters replacements
23:00 – Dyson Heppell chat
24:00 – Taylor Adams replacements/P.O.D’s for the value hunters
31:20 – Should we be worried about Brodie Grundy?
34:00 – Braeden Campbell is a HOLD
38:00 – Rookies on the bubble (Waterman/Parks/Robertson/Perkins/Phillips)

Azza – @AzzaJewell
Lekdog – @LekdogSC

Notify of
guest
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Greendale

I am tossing the dwarf. Jack Bowes welcome to the team.

Russty_

I think that’s politically insensitive or something….shouldn’t it be Midget or Munchkin? 😉

andyp7

Daniel to Bowes or Short?

Russty_

Bowes for the higher average, Short in a better team.

BC1234

Thoughts on Daniel to Ridley & Butters to Impey
Or Daniel to Jiath & Butters to Dunkley

john

Can’t lose with either of those trades IMO, Dunkley and Ridley could very well finish #1 in their positions and as for CJ & Impey I can’t see why they can’t finish top10 in their positions barring injury etc.

TommyC99

Unfortunately stuck with Adams and only 19k to replace him which isnt ideal/ Have also decided waterman will come in this week, but who i trade him out for will help determine who i bring in for adams.
Daniher/Campbell – Macrae
Bergman – Bowes/Greene/Jiath
Brockman/Jordon – Houston/Bowes

I like Houston or Bowes due to their bye, but macrae is looking very much like a top 2-3 mid. In saying that i have to give up a lot more to get him in. What would you guys do?

Russty_

Hi Tommy, Daniher to Macrae for me, I think Campbell might be worth hanging onto a bit longer, Daniher might have the odd big score but he’s hardly reliable.

Derek

how long is Adams out for?

Shake n bake

8-10

Russty_

Hi level MCL injury, about as bad as it gets.

Derek

Titch or Steele?

Russty_

I’m biased mate as I started the year with Steele, something still isn’t right about Titch yet for me, I think Steele has embraced the captaincy and will be a solid performer for at least another 5 years.

The Jinx

Steele for me Derek, he seem to be more comfortable now with Crouch along side him.

Titch has been racking the pills its scary, he’ll go huge one day once he’s polished his DE. I’d watch him closely.

Rick Grimes

I’m keeping the dwarf. A week off might be a blessing. At this stage might go Campbell to Waterman and Jordan to Impey. Waterman matching Jordan for output at this stage and Impey could be a keeper. Campbell’s 118 was a blue moon score I think.

JugHead

Similar here. Daniel had a mare last week in conditions that didn’t suit him. Bottom line is he is a premo who will bounce back and is only missing for one game. I’ve already traded Danger and Neale, thats enough premo rotations.
Lots of people are saying hold Campbell and Jordon, there are more big scores coming. They could be right. But I’m also wary of talented young kids who run out of gas early in their first year. Wouldn’t surprise me to see one or two of the gun rookies rested soon.
He has an ankle issue, but it only took 3 rounds before GWS decided Flynn needed a rest.

The Jinx

Out of all Swans Rookies, I only have Gulden. Didn’t mind missing others, though Warner is the one I’m regretting not bringing in.

In regards to your trades and views Waterman is a bargain at 102K just hope he kicks a goal or two each week to keep his spot and long enough to appreciate in price.

I’m keen on Impey myself, he may be keeper. I want to take this opportunity while he is still at reasonable price if he does turn out to be a keeper.

Campbell & Jordon who both I don’t have, I would go with my gut. But personally I think Campbell has reached his limit, on the other hand he might benefit from Heeney & Rampe going down. Jordon is gonna be a slow burn from here on, I would definitely swap him for a rookie who’s on the bubble who will make you cash $30-$50K each week for the next few weeks.

All in all, it’s a gamble and go with your gut with some research.

Goodluck with your decision

The Jinx

I’ve already burn 6 trades to date, potentially I can hold if Flynn plays this week. If he doesn’t I’m looking at these options;

Daniel & Meek for
Grundy & L.Jones(Port)
Steele & L.Jones(Port)
Or
Hickey & Impey

Steele I think is no brain a must have in the mid who will top3 by season end. VC/C option every week

Grundy priced at $648K is kinda hard to swallow. Specially how the Pies are playing at the moment, he’s being rested on the bench, no Adams & Trealor doing the roving might hurt his score.

L.Jones not sure with his JS at port, I have Kosi & Highmore on the bench. Don’t want another non playing Rookie in the backline.

At this point I am leaning on Hickey & Impey for value, both potential keepers. They fit nicely with my structure.

Last edited 6 months ago by The Jinx
Russty_

Hickey’s going pretty well, whether he can keep it up or not is the question…same with Impey.

The Jinx

Gut feeling he can, looks to have taken that no1 ruck spot. He’s on his prime with the right team and midfield support around him, has ability to play forward and kick goals is bonus. I think he’ll continue scoring well, may have some bad days like others do.

I think Impey will run out the season ok, even if he’s missed a chunk of last year due to his injury. I think the Hawks medical team has been doing a great job with their players rehabilitating them, Titch & O’Meara are an example.

I feel Hickey will be Top5 Ruck by season end. Which I think won’t be by much points difference between Top2-Top5 this year with the new rule.

Impey if he continues the way he’s going should be Top8 Fwd, Top10 at worse.

Last edited 6 months ago by The Jinx
Joe_T

In a pickle this week, 4 zeros in my defence (assuming Highmore and Kozi don’t return).

One of my trades is going to be Campbell to Waterman but which one for the 2nd trade? These will all give me 1 onfield 0:

1. Daniel to Ridley ($50k left)
2. Daniel to Mills ($120k left)
3. Daniel to CJ ($260k left)
4. Kozi to Parks ($235k left)
5. Kozi to Chapman ($130k left)

Russty_

Hey Joe, so if Kosi and Highmore don’t play you’re prepared to eat a donut in defence just so you can get Waterman in? Reckon I’d be fixing my backline first, Campbell could still be worth keeping. Waterman relies on goals and doesn’t accumulate many disposals.

Joe_T

Hey Russty, it wasn’t my preferred option but if I trade out Kozi + Daniel to get a full playing 22, my only options are:

1. Kozi to Parks + Daniel to CJ ($140k left)
  2. Kozi to Parks + Daniel to Mills ($3k left)

Could also do Kozi to Chapman but then I have to go with CJ as a replacement for Daniel.
None of those options looked entirely appealing long term which is why I looked at just copping the league loss this week and trying to fix myself up for the rest of the season. What do you reckon?

Russty_

Kozi to Chapman works shame you missed the price rise but he looks a good player, and Jiath is going pretty well, apparently Daniel was thrown fwd for awhile last week?…he was never much good as a fwd. I don’t have Jiath but I’m kinda wishing I did, he looks pretty good.

Joe_T

I didn’t watch the doggies game myself but apparently he was doing some sort of tagging role and because of the windy conditions he wasn’t used in his the typical pinpoint kicking role.

In your opinion if I did go the route of the onfield 0, should I hold Daniel or just trade him to Ridley?

I’d probably hold Joe, it’s only one week and he’s a proven 100 ave

Derek

Daniel should be ok.

last week in the wind both teams were just booting it long.

The Jinx

Hmmmmm would be good to post your backline for people in the community to have a bit of an idea where you’re at and how they can help you.

By going with your post you don’t have the likes of Laird, JClark, Sharp and A.Fyfe.

Last edited 6 months ago by The Jinx
Joe_T

Sorry Jinx, backline as of now is:
Lloyd, Laird, Stewart, Daniel, Butts, Highmore (Kozi, A.Fyfe)
Aside from Laird I don’t have any DEF/MID to swing around via DPP.

The Jinx

If you have Mid/Fwd swing in the midfield.
You can trade Campbell to Chapman via mid/fwd player in your mid and then swing Laird or A.Fyfe to mid. This will give you that def/mid swing with Laird and A.Fyfe

And Daniel to Bowes or Docherty

You backline should look like this after the trades

Lloyd, Laird, Stewart, Bowes, Butts, Chapman, (Highmore, Kozi)

A.Fyfe in the Mid bench.

Last edited 6 months ago by The Jinx
Joe_T

Ah didn’t think of that! I can also get Ridley or Mills this way by going Parks instead of Chapman, but Chapman does seem like a better rookie option.

If I’m trading Daniel out I’d want to try get a keeper and Bowes or Doch may not quite be there just yet.

The Jinx

If you can get Ridley is a no brainer Joe.
Glad I could help in someway.

Goodluck Mate

Last edited 6 months ago by The Jinx
Derek

I think Kosi will play this week.

Lewis got a week suspension and O’Brien is not good at football

Joe_T

Yeah I’ve heard this too, if Kozi does play it’s a much easier decision for me trade wise where I can double downgrade easily or even go Daniel to Ridley if I wish.

Think Jinx’s solution of using the DPP swing has opened up some good options for me though so I’ll play around with that in either case. Cheers Derek, Jinx and Russty!

Russty_

Kosi is also not very good at football, he’s good at pre-season 🙂

Derek

O’Brien makes Motlop look good at football

Kosi is ok. He had Tigers and Cats in a row, tough for a key forward

Russty_

Just needs some confidence probably, to kick a few goals.

Mudguts FC

In a bit of a pickle this week.
Currently have Sloane, Heeney, May and Daniel out.
Trying to think outside the box to plug the holes in my team and I am thinking May for Bowes and Sloane out for potentially B. Crouch. With Crouch guaranteed on ball minutes, obviously risky.
Appreciate any feedback!

Joe_T

Personally not a huge fan of bringing in Crouch given his injury history recently, how about Taranto or Cripps at similar prices to Sloane?

Mudguts FC

i already have crippa. Taranto is a solid option though especially with Cogs out

Joe_T

I suspect Crouch will have bigger scores than Taranto but you should get more consistent scoring with the latter, which is usually my preference in forced trades

Derek

That’s rough, I thought I had problems.

May needs to go, could be out for a while.

Russty_

He’s out for 4 weeks, looks like a truck hit his face.

Crazy John

So I have both Butters and Heeney (and Caleb Daniel yikes) and no cash ahaha I’m definitely going to get Waterman in and thinking about getting Ridley or Bowes in for the other. If I get Ridley I’m left with 230k leaving me a little short to pick up a 600k mid next week whereas Bowes gives me a lot more wriggle room. Any thoughts on which way to go would be appreciated!

Russty_

Ridley all the way, Bowes is going ok but don’t know if it lasts.

Derek

Bowes has been given the Lukosius role of last year while they try him on the wing. As a Lukosious owner in draft I would mind seeing the wing experiment stop

Russty_

There’s always a bunch more dudes to choose from mate, I think I replaced about half my team in the last week or 2 lol

Crazy John

Cheers!! I think its time I take a safe option for once :’)

Tophawk

Finlay Macrae to make his debut for Collingwood on Friday night. Hopefully this bloke can produce some decent output after some recent midfield rook flops. (Jordon, Sharp, etc)

The Ranger

Yeah, is it just me or is this years rookie crop particularly crap SC wise this year?

Russty_

It’s tough when they have a few good scores in a row and then dish up a shit sandwich for us all to eat, like Campbell and Jordon did, even Gulden doesn’t feel that special anymore.

Steeeve

The rookies are actually better (and more plentiful) than I’d expected. I know they’re not setting the world on fire apart from a few but we have several and they only need one or two good scores to make us good cash. Can’t complain considering a lot of them are kids who didn’t even get to have a proper kick last year.

JohnDJ59

Jordon has made 80k, so not too bad, I’ll be holding for now.

Shake n bake

I’m thinking Jordan and Scott might get a rest this weekend.

JohnDJ59

I can see that coming as well.

John Legend

I unfortunately own both daniel and butters, started with both so i appreciated butters massive 163. I’m leaning towards an upgrade/downgrade trade by bringing in Ridley to solidify my defence, which would only require me to upgade Clark to finish and then downgrading a daniel to alec waterman. 600k in the bank would be vital as some of these rookies have some question marks (i.e. Campbell, Jordon to name a few) and allow me to target some real juicy premo options
Am i crazy or does this sound like a viable trade?

JohnDJ59

First time in three rounds that I haven’t had to deal with an injury, so will be trying to do no trading this round. There are some that I would like to do, Brayshaw to Steele and Brockman/Scott to Waterman, but they aren’t really ones I need to do, so will be holding.

Derek

I’m starting to warm to having Steele

got to get rid of Adams and can go to anyone. TMitch, Steele or Dangerfield?

JohnDJ59

This week I would go Steele, Titch and Danger can wait two weeks.

Russty_

I’m a bit concerned about Titch getting 45 disposals every week for 100 points, are his skills getting worse..is his D/E bad because he’s still trying to get back to his best?
Steele is such a gun cause he’s a play-starter and finisher, gets all over the ground and is a tackling machine.

Russty_

That’s a bit of a relief for you John, I have to trade Adams unfortunately and he was scoring so well too, I love it when my 588k premos average 72.3
Surely Brayshaw has to turn it around? I want to trade him but need to do some serious abstaining or I’ll be way short by the end. I don’t feel Waterman is essential, Macrae might be a suitable replacement rookie option in a few weeks even if he’s one third as talented as his brother)

JohnDJ59

It does make a change Russty, not having to trade, only if I want to. Backing Brayshaw to do better, have to really, otherwise I’ll have no trades left by the time finals come along, not that it looks like I’ll be making any, but one can hope. Was thinking the same about Waterman and Macrae. Though if enough of my rookies get dropped and Scott and Fullarton are two of them, I might have to think about getting Waterman, just to have on the bench for cover.

Russty_

The rookies are pretty crappy this year so, I don’t think I even want Waterman, brought in Treacy last week and he was garbage, Fullarton averaging 40, Scott, Brockman etc scoring 20’s. Sharp played well in a practice match apparently, Highmore I’ll keep until he gets back in. I don’t mind having a donut in def and fwd as a loop.

JohnDJ59

That’s the thing Russty, people worry about trading out premiums, but are quick to trade out a rookie, we need to be just as careful with our rookies and try and only get the quality ones in. So far only Warner, Gulden and Flynn have been really good, Powell, Campbell, Jordon and Berry not bad, the rest terrible.

JohnDJ59

I forgot Chapman, who looks like a quality one, but he’s only played 3 games.

Russty_

Yeah He looks like a good one, I brought him in last week and enjoyed the score and the price rise, still hurts that Highmore was discarded after 2 games averaging 68.5.

Peter

Is it crazy to consider Brad Crouch this week. Value m8 @ 440k or is that madness

Russty_

Not crazy could be a decent cheap M8, also a bit more left field James Rowbottom?

Rick Grimes

Has ROB turned the corner? Need to prepare for a Flynn/Meek double no show. Have a feeling it’s coming.

The Jinx

101 & 135 on the weekend he may have Rick 70K cheaper his starting price now.

Meek will struggle with Treacy & Darcy playing, Flynn you can’t rely on to play each week with Mummy in the picture and Briggs is knocking door. Meek has to go for me this week, Flynn on the bench. Or both can bugger off.

Russty_

I think if Mummy takes Flynn’s spot again I’ll be going to Hickey.

Derek

I was planning Meek to Waterman via DPP and swing Fullerton to R3. But talk of Fullerton getting dropped as well

dontblushbaby

I’ve had Steele from the start, VC last week with a 150, and have the VC this week against my Tigers who don’t tag , an excellent Captain for the Saints who leads by example

Russty_

There’s that other bloke Geary who’s co-captain, he’ll be delisted as captain eventually when he’s left out of the team for the last time.
Steele is our best player by the power of 2.

Last edited 6 months ago by Russty_
The Jinx

That was my plan in the coming weeks, either Fullarton or Treacy at R3. Keeping a real close watch on Marshall’s fitness and the way the Saints are managing him.

My plan atm moment is get rid of Meek this week
Fullarton to Treacy(Bubble) next week, then wait a week or two Flynn to Marshall in my forward. Basically preparing my Ruck swing for injury and bye round.

Billioux

Test message

10 out of 10 🙂

Rick Grimes

One of the more coherent statements made on here.

SCwithGary

Hi JR community,
Thinking butters and may to ridley/bowes and atkins? Other option is to trade in ridley/bowes and waterman. What do you think is the best option going forward? Wanting to maintain highscores so leaning towards ridley and atkins as my cash generation will still be fine without waterman.
Let me know your thoughts

SCwithGary

Also, which is the safest pick out of steele/grundy/macrae for VC option?

dontblushbaby

I’m a Tiger supporter and I’m going Steele

Shake n bake

Funny how this weeks highest score didn’t start rd 1

The Jinx

Probably tried looking for the reset button with his first team account. Couldn’t reset, so he/she made a new one😁

Russty_

Some people start a team after they see who all the hot scoring players/rookies are while they’re still affordable with the sole purpose of winning the weekly prize, in these times of VPN’s god knows how many accounts they’re doing it under.

Shake n bake

Definitely

Teague Train

So ive got a couple options this week
Can do 1 of the following (currently have 300k in the bank)
Campbell + Jordan // Macrae + Waterman (15k left over)
Campbell + Meek // Grundy + Waterman (15k left over)
Jordan + Clark // Riddley + Waterman (80k left over)

I have Meek and Flynn, so ill be holding out as late as possible to make my decision incase 1 gets dropped

Steeeve

I can afford Caleb Daniel to Jordan Ridley. Would leave me with $5k and 25 trades.
Still not sure I should pull the trigger. Trades are precious and if Kosi is named I avoid a donut. Also my cash league match up this week is against a coach in the top 50 so very little chance making the Daniel move this week will win me a H2H.
What do you reckon?

Steeeve

One more consideration: My backline has 5 premos including Daniel.
Lloyd, Laird, Mills, Stewart, Daniel, Chapman.
If I keep Daniel, I will have a spot for only one of Ridley/Whitfield. Ridley seems a must have, so I’ll end up with Daniel over Whitfield.
This is the main reason I’m considering trading Daniel to Ridley. Think the Ridley/Whitfield combo could be much better in the long run. On the other hand, one of my defenders is bound to get injured so I’ll probably end up with Ridley AND Whitfield anyway.

Bob Butter

Im trading him out, on top of missing this game (I have Kosi and Highmore on Bench) he will also lose some decent coin the following couple of weeks. I have Adams too so I’m moving Laird to the mids and bringing in Ridley and Jaith. In my mind it’s a win win because either Jaith is the real deal and a keeper, or he’s not but still makes some more money and can be swapped back to Daniel in a month assuming Daniel shows that he’s back to his best. Was a bit worrying on the weekend seeing Daniel not taking the kick ins so it will be good to see if his role has changed in the meantime.

dontblushbaby

Heeney is list at 2 – 3 weeks, if it was 3 – 4 weeks I’d definitely trade , I believe he a top 8 FWD and don’t to trade him back in , dunno ?

David C

I held Danger for 3 weeks, his ownership was over 50% in round 1 and now its 13% and almost unique. I don’t have Heeney but I’ll be holding Daniel.

dontblushbaby

Thanks David, very good analogy , because it’s early in he season we can hold our must haves, however some will disagree , good luck

holty01

Lovely work lads

Russty_

Nice work from you the Holt, just quietly ranking in the top 600, well done Brad.

The Jinx

Interesting!!! Dusty and Steele owners be aware.

The Saints are thinking putting a hard tag on Dusty. And who is their best tagger and can win the ball himself. Yep! Steele, with Steele doing the tag, Crouch should be racking it up. Unless the Tigs puts a tag on Crouch, the Tigs hasn’t been tagging so far in the last 4 games.

Gonna be interesting who they’ll use to tag Dusty. Steele is only one I think of that will do a good Job.

Last edited 6 months ago by The Jinx
The Jinx

Oh! Forgot about Seb Ross might do the tagging.

Rick Grimes

I’m not too bothered if they try to tag Dusty easier said then done. They’ll just sit him forward where he’s likely to kick 5 goals.

The Jinx

Don’t know about that Rick, I think Saints would’ve watched the Tigs v Port last week. For owners sake he can shake the tag, for my sake he doesn’t😁gonna love his price drop in a few weeks.

Dusty, Marshall and Danger are in my watch list. Waiting for them to bottom out.

Russty_

Don’t think it’ll be Steele, not only is he too important to the squad now to waste shutting someone else down, he also didn’t tag all last year so that’s not his role anymore.
It’d be Ross I’d say, that’s what the article said anyway.
Ratten also said it might just be the whole team with their pressure limiting his influence.
Cheers mate

ST1974

Great work again gents and love the title of the podcast (very funny). I don’t have Daniel, however, I do have Butters and will need to trade him this week. I already have Martin and Ziebel so who else should I bring in out of Walker, Dunkley, Green or Impey. Walker is probably the obvious choice, Dunkley has the DPP status which could come in very handy during the byes, however, leaves me nothing in the bank for making another trade if I need to or for future trades.
I am also seriously thinking of rage trading out Brayshaw (Free) and bring in Ridley via Laird DPP since I found out he has been tagged the past two weeks. Should I pull the trigger or hold Brayshaw and hope he finds a way to shake off the tag.
My other option is to trade either Brockman or Jordon and bring in a rookie that is on the bubble this week, however, I am not sure who to bring in or even if the trade is necessary if both are named to play.
Any advice or thoughts much appreciated.

Hedski

Get Dunks in can’t go wrong

Rover

Interesting seeing Dawson getting the majority of kick outs for the swans. Still think Jake is top 6 but could have some more cash to loose

JugHead

Possibly, yes. But he would become a bargain pick-up for any that don’t have him.
Other years I’ve sometimes used him as a VC. It hasn’t even crossed my mind yet this year.

Westy

Current team
D – Lloyd, Laird, Ridley, Short, Stewart, Clark (Highmore, Kosi)
M – McRae, Merrett, Martin, Taranto, Drew, Gulden, Berry,, Campbell, (Powell, Sharp, Scott)
R – Gawn, Flynn (Fullarton)
F – Walker, Butters, Ziebell, Impey, Warner, Daniher (Bergman, Rowe)

A few definite issues.
Butters needs to go because of injury.
Bergman, Sharp, Flynn, Highmore and Kosi all didn’t play last week.
Rucks are really vulnerable at the moment.

Looking at potentially
Option 1 – Butters to Waterman and any of Kosi, Highmore or Sharp to Jiath by moving Clark to the mids – leaves 437k in the bank. That would square away the backline.
Option 2 – Butters to Waterman, Fullarton to Grundy, Flynn to R3 – 236k in bank
Option 3 – Butters to an outperformer like Cerra, and Highmore to Jiath – 45k in bank.
Option 4 – Butters to a premo like Dunkley, Fullarton to Hickey – 6k in bank

Isn’t it awesome to have choices!

Russty_

Option 4 for me Westy, doesn’t leave you with any moolah, but does give you 2 good scoring players.