Unthinkable. Unfathomable. Completely lacking in logic. And no I’m not talking about the “Festival of Fantasy” currently sweeping the nation. I’m talking about our very own PatchtotheMax suddenly being Very Good at SuperCoach (??)

149th. One hundred and forty ninth. Madness. The same guy whose bio confesses that he is awful at SuperCoach is somehow ranked 149th in the land. The end is not in site to this god awful year until that ranking reaches six figures. Order will not be restored until the group chat whipping boy is once again Very Bad at SuperCoach. Have I used the entire intro to express my disbelief at Patch’s apparent goodness? Yes. But no pressure, Patchy ex oh.

Newz you can Uze

We’ve got confirmed teams and games that have already been played. It feels like my whole world has been turned upside down, black is east, up is white. Round 9 will finish Sunday night after Freo v Pies and round 10 will start the next day with Port v Dogs. Try to keep your trades sensible because team news will be drip fed to us throughout the week. But I’m getting ahead of myself, tonight…

Mitch McGovern has saved the axe falling on him by pinging his hamstring. Harry McKay is his replacement. Keegan Brooksby is one and done at the Hawks in one of four changes. Jarman Impey, Luke Breust, Jono Ceglar, and Tim O’Brien all return from various injuries and ailments. There’s a total of 10 changes between the Bombers and the Lions. BZT is back for the Dons and there’s a debut for Sam Draper. Dylan Shiel also returns from suspension. Mitch Hibberd is out though in a blow to our midfield bench and Conor McKenna is being managed. At the Lions, Archie Smith joins Stefan Martin on the sidelines, forgotten defender Alex Witherden is in for the injured Daniel Rich, and there’s a debut for Connor Ballenden after he’d made the extended squad for the last few rounds.

Teams for the remaining round nine matches will be released at 6.20pm AEST the day before they kick off

Breakeven Breakdown

The Breakeven section will get a rest for the next few weeks. Type “SuperCoach Breakevens footywire” into Google if you want to see who is due for a rise/fall over the coming frounds.

Smooth Kevy’s Lock of the Week

In 1% of teams and a 3-round average of 128 (114 for the season) Touk Miller is a tasty differential for your midfield. Still only 570k, Touk plays his next 3 games at Metricon Stadium, a venue he is averaging 117 at so far this year with a low of 98 snd a high of 140. He is ranked 9th in the comp for contested possessions, which pairs well with his overall disposal efficiency (71%), 4 clearances, and almost 5 tackles a game.

TelescopicCox · 31/07/2020 at 13:00

Made my trades relying on Doedee playing! Now I only have $20k in the bank for an upgrade. Best option for Doedee:

A) Doedee to Stewart
B) Doedee to Hurn (not a big fan of this due to the bye)
C) Hold Doedee. King to Watson. Swing Hill forward to loop Aarts

I bought Doedee at his starting price so I've made good money on him at least

TBone_23 · 31/07/2020 at 13:06

Yeah just read on AFL website he won’t be playing this week. I’d say if you were planning on getting Stewart at all just grab him this week. Otherwise don’t mind option 3 mate, means less points on field this week though

TBone_23 · 31/07/2020 at 13:04

Doedee not playing this week, just precautionary but should be 100% right to play Melbourne

Gibbs · 31/07/2020 at 13:11

Trade or hold Walters? Bye next week so will miss 2 weeks minimum do have cover in budarick. I’d likely trade Walters to Neale via dpp

TBone_23 · 31/07/2020 at 13:47

I’d be wanting to hold Walters personally as he’s definitely a top 6 fwd, but to get Neale in especially if you’re gonna throw the captaincy on him is a great move

derek · 31/07/2020 at 15:55

two weeks is a long time this year to have so much cash on bench. extra trades, this is what they are for.

nadonis · 31/07/2020 at 17:07

I do agree, though will personally be holding as unless you traded him to Petracca or an Essendon / Melbourne Mid yesterday any other player will still have a bye to come and will also miss.

As we still do not who exactly who is having byes when I almost like the certainty of knowing he has had his bye and will be fresh off a two week rest to hopefully continue tearing it up.

Using Aarts loop (75 is not 110 but I'll take it) helps this week.

derek · 31/07/2020 at 15:56

don't forget Hawks v Carlton game at 5.40pm TODAY.

dontblushbaby · 31/07/2020 at 17:42

Thoughts on Doedee trade to Brodie Smith ?- same price, named captain ,with Crouch out should get some time in the Mids ?

JohnDJ59 · 31/07/2020 at 18:40

I think I traded out the wrong blue, it should have been Doc instead of Williamson. Doc is a shadow of his former self, but Williamson had only played one good game until tonight.

Pman · 31/07/2020 at 19:00

Doc has turned into a complete and utter Spud since he scored 185 and hasn't passed 90 in the 5 weeks since.

JohnDJ59 · 31/07/2020 at 19:26

I keep thinking he has to turn it around soon and probably as soon as I decide to trade him out, so I am hanging on for now.

Russty_ · 31/07/2020 at 21:57

I'd hang on JDJ, surely you have bigger probs than trading a premo out.

JohnDJ59 · 31/07/2020 at 22:10

I sure do Russty, it's more frustration than anything, at least he scored 91 tonight, I will be happy if he can keep that up. He really only had two spud games R6 (49) and R9 (66), just need 90 plus games from him.

Russty_ · 31/07/2020 at 22:26

Smith out was a good trade now John :), I guess this year you could afford to trade out of formers for hot players but I'd still keep Doch cause he can go big.

JohnDJ59 · 31/07/2020 at 22:41

Yes with the extra trades and fewer rounds, I could afford to trade out D.Smith, any other year, would have had to stick with him, will be keeping Doc after tonight, but if it had been another spud game, he would have been on the trade table, not saying I would have though, just thought about.

JohnDJ59 · 31/07/2020 at 21:36

Doc finally passed 90, just.

TBone_23 · 31/07/2020 at 19:01

Have to field one of Budarick, Close or E. Taylor this week. Which one would you guys choose? Don’t love any of their match ups

JohnDJ59 · 31/07/2020 at 19:19

Budarick, but I have the E on Close and if he scores over 60 I will move Green onfield in place of Budarick. I also have Taylor on the fwd bench after having the E on Aarts.

TBone_23 · 31/07/2020 at 21:18

Cheers DJ, I wish I had a way to loophole them but I don’t so will go with Budarick. Bloody Dev Smith actually starting to play footy again the week I trade him out haha

JohnDJ59 · 31/07/2020 at 21:34

Same regarding Smith, he was my last trade this week, I guess in hindsight I should have held, but it was the only way I could afford to get Oliver in, if a rookie had been high enough in value I would have used them. Went Williamson (60) tonight to McPherson for the cash generation, McInerney to Close also for cash generation and D.Smith to Oliver for some extra points. It was always on the cards that once we traded Smith out he would come good.

Joe_T · 31/07/2020 at 19:05

Who's got the best JS out of Elijah Taylor, James Bell or Matt Ling? Any Swans supporters (or anyone) able to shed some light?

Holty01 · 31/07/2020 at 19:31

Now as a Cripp’s owner and a Carlton supporter, I love the bloke but when you cough up the ball twice in the second quarter (which should of resulted in goals) and the opposition score goals as a result of the mistakes, how does he score 26 points in the 2nd from only 3 touches?

Russty_ · 31/07/2020 at 22:31

I think it's because he's a good looking man Holty…lol
    Makes as much sense as the scoring system this year.

JugHead · 31/07/2020 at 20:33

Smith leading the Bombers scoring?
OK…… the SC gods are taking the p1ss now…..

Russty_ · 31/07/2020 at 20:39

Yeah Jugs what the effing F?…LOL, I'll take it though

Shake_n_bake · 31/07/2020 at 21:16

To be honest he’s probably been there best

Russty_ · 31/07/2020 at 22:30

McGrath's become a pretty good player, he just doesn't have enough support in that team.

Russty_ · 31/07/2020 at 22:25

Draper's had a decent game for a rook ruck, gave it a pretty good crack.

JohnDJ59 · 31/07/2020 at 22:42

R3 next week.

What_Bear · 31/07/2020 at 23:50

McInerney and Ballenden are hardly first class ruckmen. But still might be a worth wild R3

MagicGnome97 · 01/08/2020 at 00:44

God Dayum! All 5 of my 5 premos in my midfield going big! Dusty, Macrae, Cripps, Mitchell and Neale (thats captain Neale to you). Pickett getting over 100 as well.

Shame I am facing a 0 on field with Doedee out, hill and rivers on my defence bench and no trades left for this week. I'm on track for over 2500 minus whatever doedee may have scored. 1575 with 10 players to go.

ST1974 · 01/08/2020 at 09:46

Which two out of Rankine, Close, D Cameron, or Curtis Taylor should I put on the field in my forward line. At the moment I have Rankine and Cameron.

bomberknighta · 01/08/2020 at 12:00

Id go with that too.

ST1974 · 01/08/2020 at 12:27

Thanks bomberknighta, much appreciated.

Westy · 01/08/2020 at 13:35

Any love for Sam Menegola?

Russty_ · 02/08/2020 at 17:54

Looks in ripping form now Westy, could be a great pod.

Russty_ · 01/08/2020 at 15:31

WTF has happened to Simpkin the last 3 weeks?…what a spud he's turning into, a bloody liability…. so disappointing.

MagicGnome97 · 01/08/2020 at 15:47

Well he was literally injured 3 weeks ago, and last week he copped a hard Curnow tag and was maybe still not quite 100% yet. This week, no excuses, maybe the wind has been taken out of his sails a bit though. He'll turn it around and get back to how he was before, but…he'll drop low enough that everyone who didn't have him is now gonna get him so cheap ffs.

Russty_ · 01/08/2020 at 15:59

Cheers Magic…yeah and in the meantime we lose our good potential scores for crap ones lol, and lose league games, oh well, hoping he bounces back.

JohnDJ59 · 01/08/2020 at 17:15

I never got him in, still not sure I will, when is a bargain not a bargain.

Russty_ · 01/08/2020 at 18:31

When it goes from a high powered rifle to a cheap spud gun John 🙂

JohnDJ59 · 01/08/2020 at 20:09

Another great win by your Saints Russty.

Russty_ · 01/08/2020 at 20:44

Thanks mate, pretty happy with how they're going this season, Zac Jones has been good and Steele is probs our best now, don't really need broken down Hannebery, Maxy King is coming along nicely too.

MagicGnome97 · 01/08/2020 at 15:48

Sam Simpson or Close? Who to field?

Russty_ · 01/08/2020 at 16:05

Maybe Simpson cause Close might depend on goals for points

JohnDJ59 · 01/08/2020 at 23:31

You got that one right Russty, so I was going with Budarick as my rookie in the mids, had the E on Close (53), 60 is usually my cut off score, but Budarick has only gone over 53 in 3/8 games. Not sure what to do now, I didn't take Starcevich's 53, kept Noble on field. What do you think. I recommended Budarick over Close and Taylor for the on field spot to TBone, so would feel bad if I took him off in favour of the Close 53.

Russty_ · 02/08/2020 at 13:18

Give Budda a run mate I reckon, you gotta back up your advice, whether it be wrong or right, he could surprise you and get a 60 or so lol

JohnDJ59 · 02/08/2020 at 15:43

Going with Budarick on field, instead of taking the 53 from Close, I didn't take the 53 from Starcevich, kept Noble on field, neither made it to my cut off score, so have to stick by that. I just feel it could all go terribly wrong.

JohnDJ59 · 02/08/2020 at 17:19

I think I better drop my cut off score for rookies from 60 to 50 the way this season is going.

Russty_ · 02/08/2020 at 17:31

Hopefully he gets another 10-15 or so for ya mate in the last 10 mins.

JohnDJ59 · 02/08/2020 at 18:07

Budarick nearly got there for me, happy with his 50 in the end, after all that I will be dropping my cut off score to 50, the average for the rookies seems around the 50-60 points, so I'll just be moving it from the upper to the lower scale.

Russty_ · 02/08/2020 at 18:17

Hope you don't lose any leagues by 3 points John otherwise I'll feel like crap haha

JohnDJ59 · 02/08/2020 at 18:37

Only one close game this weekend, in the Elite of the Elite league 2 v 4 could go down to the wire. Of the other nine, not going so well, looking at two wins and seven loses.

Russty_ · 02/08/2020 at 18:51

Must be a down week for you John.. I remember you having more wins than losses most weeks so far, good week next week to improve our sides with some real bargains around.

JohnDJ59 · 02/08/2020 at 19:37

Yes 9/10 last week, about even for the season, had 4 good weeks and 4 bad weeks, up till this weekend, hopefully that means I'm due for a up week next week. I'll be getting Stewart and Draper in tonight. In the Elite of the Elite league game, it has come down to my Noble v Fyfe.