TEAM REVEAL: Statty Matty

Published by Statty Matty on

So sharing my team at all is still a fair way out of my comfort zone, I’m trying to learn by osmosis from the other gusy here. But I figure the worst thing that can happen is I get lots of constructive criticism and fix my team.

A year or so ago, before I started contributing here, I was trying to distil supercoach advice down into manageable chunks. One of those chucks was trying to define the perfect starting set up. I can already hear many of you laughing. Yes, pretty soon I came to the understanding that you all have “there is no single, fixed structure for SC”. This is mostly R&G with a couple of mid-pricers in there.

I’m sure like many of you, I choose a few premium players across lines, a few rookies you’ve heard being pumped up, and then try and fit in the rest. It seems to work, but I’d love to hear if there’s a better way.

I am not going to discuss the rookies too much in their own right. I’ll be producing a Rookie Cheat Sheet in the next few days, but some of the rookies here are expected to play, some are just placeholders.

Anyway, with no more gilding the lillies, here’s my team “Zippedy Doedee”.

Defence

Lloyd and Laird speak for themselves, consistently top 6-8 in their position. Laird looked very good in the MCS. Docherty and Roberton also have much upside, injured but based on previous form potentially premium output for a reduced price. Noble impressed me last week against GWS, a solid 5 games last year averaging 52 and I expect him to improve on that.

Midfield

In writing this article and looking at each line separately, I feel I may have gone a little light on premos through the midfield. But that is balanced by the mid rookines being relatively plentiful compared to other lines.
Neale, Cripps and Oliver are 3 players I expect to be top 8 at the end of the season. Nuff said.
I may have drunk a little of Damo’s bathwater over the last few weeks and can see Brayshaw having a breakout year. I banked on his brother for too long last year, and hope that he feels some family loyalty to repay me.

Rucks

Ok, in my most controversial move, I’ve selected Jacobs at R2. I’ve always had a soft spot for Sauce, and I think his body and mind are right. Also, new club so trying to impress. I see him as a short-ish term R2, until there’s some clarity around Gawn’s long-term fitness, or an heir apparent for the R2 role behind Grundy.

Forwards

Whitfield and Martin are no-brainers. I’ve decided to give up my “no dickhead” policy and bring in Green from the start. GWS have a lot to prove and I expect him to be a major part of that. I’m hoping that one more year older and wiser and he won’t get suspended this season.
MacPherson has had a good pre-season, and may be a late change before Thursday (I might have just ‘thought’ myself out of selecting him). Only averaged 82 last season. Can’t see him making me more than $100k, or being top 8. With Smith, he had a good MCS I’m hoping he can return to his 2018 form. The upside with his low price is appealing.

Anyway, as I mentioned at the beginning, I don’t usually put as much thought into my team as my nickname might suggest, but I feel like barring rookie changes and re-evaluating MacPherson, this is a pretty safe side.

Mike · 11/03/2020 at 17:48

Hey fellas would love some advice on the team forward is a bit weak
Def-Sicily,Crisp,Doc,BZT,Starch,Brander
Mids-Neale,Fyfe,Tmitch,Bont,Oliver,Walsh,Rowell,Pickett
Ruck-Grundy,Gawn
Fwds-Walters,Martin,DSmith,Rankine,Taylor,Budarick

Michael · 11/03/2020 at 18:06

Too light on rookies, pay up and get better ones

Russty_ · 11/03/2020 at 23:17

What better ones is he supposed to get?…he has most of the relevant ones.

Andy · 11/03/2020 at 18:06

Could be the worst team I have seen this season.

Jorg Ancrath · 11/03/2020 at 20:17

May we see yours?

Patch · 11/03/2020 at 22:15

Love some constructive criticism, Andy.

Lekdog · 11/03/2020 at 22:35

Don’t be a dickhead Andy πŸ™‚

Statty Matty · 11/03/2020 at 22:40

Don't leave me hanging Andy. I really want to know if it is the worst or just could be the worst.

Russty_ · 12/03/2020 at 00:52

He's waiting to see Lek and Patch's team first Matty before he makes his final decision lol

DavidV · 11/03/2020 at 23:02

Last comment got deleted as I dropped the c bomb about toby greene lol. Will try again

Strongly disagree with Andy. Like the solid proven guns in defence with Lloyd and Laird, I have them locked. Not sold on Docherty coming back from consecutive knee injuries with no play in between…… too risky for mine.

Reckon if you're going light on mid premos, you still need at least 4.

Sauce….. eh. Nah.

I feel greene has probably matured by now a bit so will have a more consistent year, if that's the case, great pick.

Dailybumming · 11/03/2020 at 18:11

Like the team have been considering going Greene and Whitfield. Going so light in the midfield is risky. Premo mids usually score more than forward or defence premos. Therefore I reckon safer to load up in the mids. Also takes the guessing out of your picks and you can upgrade to fwds and defs that are performing well.

FozDaddy · 11/03/2020 at 18:24

Gonna be running some ranked leagues this year, community. If you’d like to be involved, please reply here (or email me at [email protected] ) with your 2019 rank and email and I’ll send some league codes around!

Joel · 11/03/2020 at 18:25

Thoughts on this one.
Def: Laird, Houston, Doc, Noble, Zerk-Thatcher, Brander (B.J Williams, Gould)

Mid: Macrae, Neale, Fyfe, Cripps, Oliver, Rowell, Green, Pickett (T Brown, D
Robertson, Budarick)

Ruck: Gawndy (Conroy)

Forw: Whitfield, Martin, Smith, Bonar, Georgiades, Taylor ( King, Rankine)

TommyC99 · 11/03/2020 at 18:39

I like the idea of going real deep in the forwards but probs too light in the guts for mine. I'd like at least 4 rolled gold premos in there (i'm going 5). You could shift brayshaw to the fwds in Macphersons spot and bring in another mid premo, although you'd probs have to cull someone to get the funds.
I'd also try and get Pickett onfield. Reckon he will be a pretty decent scoring rookie so probs a waste at M9. Id downgrade one of Anderson/Stephens to a cheaper rookie (if one actually pops up) and use the funds elsewhere.

Lekdog · 11/03/2020 at 22:37

I don’t imagine rookie positions are that meaningful at this stage but fair point in Pickett.

Switch Brayshaw and Whitfield and no one is worrying about the midfield I reckon

Rob · 11/03/2020 at 18:53

I have been tossing up 3 premo mids only too. Glad I'm not alone!

Statty Matty · 11/03/2020 at 22:42

In all honesty Rob, I didn't go in with that plan. And I did think it might be light on in mids while writing the article, but someone somewhere said "swap Whitfield and Brayshaw and no one questions it".

fatboyfat7 · 11/03/2020 at 20:17

Well it certainly is a unique team Matty! Not sure on structure and inclined to feel you may be too light in the guts.

On another note, anybody got some league spots free? πŸ™‚

FozDaddy · 11/03/2020 at 21:10

329895 mate! Join and enjoy

fatboyfat7 · 11/03/2020 at 21:59

Done! Cheers mate!

Holty01 · 11/03/2020 at 20:18

πŸ€” not to sure about this team Matty but each to their own. Definitely can’t accuse you of having a cookie cutter side. I’d certainly look to at least strengthen that midfield of yours.

SC_2020 · 11/03/2020 at 20:36

I like back and forward line ups. Taking the punt on Jacobs is fine but I think you need something more solid in return. A .Brayshaw is a risky M4. Good luck.

Captain_Risky · 11/03/2020 at 20:58

I don't dislike it.. a bit different. Probably 1 to many fwds for my liking. I'd downgrade Anderson to Buderic, move Pickett onfield, then Mcasey to Brander/Williams and that probably gives you enough to upgrade Brayshaw to Coniglio, then it looks a lot better!

Jorg Ancrath · 11/03/2020 at 21:26

I'd personally lose Greene for a rookie and pump Anderson or Stephens up to a premium mid. I think you're short and its much harder to fill spots there as the best mids rarely fall in price. Def and Fwd prems will fluctuate greatly so you can snap up a bargain.

Statty Matty · 11/03/2020 at 22:43

That's a pretty fair point regarding 'fluctations in FWDs and DEFs'. Thanks Jorg.

Patch · 11/03/2020 at 22:17

I'm a bit taken aback by this side. That midfield leaves me terrified but I won't pretend to understand the numbers which have gone into this – if anyone knows how those cursed arabic symbols work it's you. Don't love the Anderson pick, mind you

Billioux · 12/03/2020 at 00:13

Ruck-wise i normally a set and forget guy. This year i am conflicted. Is it possible to start without either G or G? or both arggg.. I think not, however..

Russty_ · 12/03/2020 at 01:52

It's possible for sure, can get the lost points from the extra premo you can get, then just have to deal with the Gawn/Grundy envy throughout the year haha. I'm still torn on whether or not to go with English.
    P.S there's still a spot for you in my league Billi

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 12/03/2020 at 17:32

reckon I am gonna run with the big dog

putting him in and a couple of other minor tweaks in defence all of sudden Neale slots into the midfield with COGS at M6!

had to look twice but yep cogs at M6 – will depend on rooks mind you in def.

Russty_ · 12/03/2020 at 17:44

I was on English for so long mate…I really think this could be his breakout year, but how many times have we thought that about players in the past?
        He could just as easily average 80 again and I'd be stuffed trying to afford Gawn, so I don't have the stones to try it on, I'm playing it safe, just not in my forward line haha
        Cogs at M6 is great, hopefully your DEF rookies stand up and score for ya.

Dann · 12/03/2020 at 18:25

My issue with Tim Is he can have a breakout year & still not get within 25 points of the top two.

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 12/03/2020 at 18:41

Cogs v Pickett 50-60 pts. 😁

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 12/03/2020 at 18:31

Noble, zrk, ash, Williamson, starveich, brandner, gould. – 6 of them.

If fail to play will bring in another premo in def.

I think this is where the rooks are gonna play, midfield looks scarce not sure we will even get 6 as green and robbo no given.

Def looks alot more rookie rich but time will tell…

Watched big dog last week dominated lycett. He really is a big dog now not a scawny kid anymore.

And what a midfield to be tapping to!

Got Gawn in draft so time to roll the dice and have some fun πŸ™‰

Billioux · 12/03/2020 at 18:30

Thanks Russty. I am in now.

Jorg Ancrath · 12/03/2020 at 07:26

I've always gone cheap R2. It's never really worked. The year of SandiWitts is the exception, but that was before the G&G era. Last year I promised myself not to do it again as i had hardcore Grundy envy (yep, I didn't start him, haha). So G&G are lockef, tho it's a daily struggle not to stuff Naismith in there…

Have I gone mad · 12/03/2020 at 00:31

First year not going GnR and not set and forget rucks….

DEF
Laird, Houston, Doch, Noble, Zerk, Starcevich (Brander, Greaves)

MID (batting deep here)
Macrae, Neale, Cripps, Tmitch, Bont, Oliver, Rowell, Green (Pickett, Robertson, Budarick)

RUC
Grundy, Naismith (Xerri)

FWD (mid-price madness)
Dusty, Brayshaw, Steven, Devon, Rankine, Taylor (Geordiatitties, King)

Russty_ · 12/03/2020 at 01:48

If I just hold my right finger over the Naismith part…it looks like a really solid team πŸ˜‰
    Ballsy choice with Naismith, I hope it works out for you.

Therealsharkmove · 12/03/2020 at 09:58

Look, I like 90-95% of this team, but I'll only focus on the 5-10. But remember, like everyone else my opinion is just an opinion. At the end of the day, you have to be bold to win this thing and I'd rather have a lower rank with MY team rather than a higher one with everyone else's.

I don't mind Brayshaw, McPherson, Greene & Smith individually as picks, but I do believe at least one needs to go to enable another heavy hitter in the middle.
I agree that simply switching Whitfield and Brayshaw makes it look better, but only to a degree. I'd much rather see a non starting F/M in the midfield, like Budarick. I know you can just switch him with Whitfield, but if you do that I'd like to see a deep midfield.

For me, Stephens, Anderson and even McAsey haven't done enough for there elevated prices. If you were to lose them you could start Pickett and have some coin left over to get that heavy hitter.

Good luck! Be bold!

Russty_ · 12/03/2020 at 23:53

Good call sharkmove…Mcasey a large bodied key defender probably won't score well as won't King or Georgeadis, Stephens and Anderson don't scream…pick me!

kevwal · 12/03/2020 at 14:10

Thanks Matty for forcing me to get my thinking cap on and look outside the normal 3/5/2/3 structure. The abundance of FWD mid-pricers got me to come up with the following team. Thinking I may have fifteen(15) keepers here, or twelve(12), or nine(9).
Def; LLoyd, Docherty, Roberton, B-Zerk, T. Williamson, Brander, (B Williams, W.Gould).
Mid; Macrae, Neale, Mitchell, Dangerfield, Oliver, Dusty, Rowell, T.Green, (Pickett, D.Robertson, Budarick).
Ruck; Grundy, Naitanui, (Comben).
Fwd; Whitfield, Macpherson, Brayshaw, D. Smith, Rankine, C.Taylor, (D. Cameron, M. King).
$16,600 left.
Projected is reasonable at 1871.
One of my rules was not to have two keepers from the same team, just for fun.
What do you think community?

Russty_ · 12/03/2020 at 23:51

H Kev, NicNat will probably never play more than 60% game time, so you'd hope he could get a move on in the time he is on ground…if Williams gets the support job he could potentially steal some of Nic's points I think.
    For around that price I'd prefer English or Jacobs, Nicnat's a bit injury prone and he's huge and heavy.
    or maybe just ditch Dusty for a rookie and get Gawn?

kevwal · 13/03/2020 at 10:52

I prefer English as well Russty, but my one keeper per team rule comes in there (pre-byes of course) and I'm not letting go of Macrae. Nicnat will score well over 100pts per game, even with 60 to 70% on the ground, he is extremely good at getting around and getting the footy. I want to keep Dusty, just can't put him in my forward line. He fits OK in the mids for now and this allows me to have only seven rookies on the field. Have never trusted forward rookies for JS and points.

Dann · 12/03/2020 at 17:57

For me it just seems too light on to not have Gawn and only 4 premo mids, no real issue with your individual picks though.