MARSH COMMUNITY SERIES | West Coast v Fremantle

Published by Barron Von Crow on

Once is fun, but twice is extra nice. Yes, I’m back again with another game review today, but don’t worry, we won’t make this a third time for this evening, I swear. It’s the WA Derby for this pre-season game, which as you may have guessed means West Coast is playing Fremantle.

It was a low scoring first half with just 6 goals scored and the Eagles taking a 25-22 lead at half time. For the most part it was like watching a boring game of marks up since the ball just went bouncing from end to end without a lot of scoring. The Eagles got out to a 24 point lead in the 4th, but then 4 goals in 5 minutes from the Dockers brought it level at 48 apiece and ended up pulling off a great 55-54 win over the Eagles

West Coast

Liam Duggan – Busy, busy, busy in the first half with 22 disposals. Finished with 32 for the game with 27 uncontested and 12 marks.

Elliot Yeo – Almost as busy as Duggan with 18 disposals and 5 tackled at half time with a massive 522 metres gained (the next best on ground was Fyfe with 333). Finished with a game high 33 disposals, with 7 tackles, 8 clearances and 689 metres gained. 128 SCPoints is a big tick.

Shannon Hurn – 15 touches and 7 marks to halftime, ended with 22 and 10. Reliable performer. 92 SCPoints is solid.

Jack Redden – A bit of a forgotten man with the recruitment of Tim Kelly, but he was plenty busy here with 31 disposals and 7 marks, but just 95 SCPoints.

Tim Kelly – 11 disposals at the half, added another 10 in the 3rd quarter and finished with 29. Only 9 contested possessions and 1 clearance in there, but had 107 SCPoints.

Andrew Gaff – Had 32 disposals, 7 marks, 5 tackles and 4 clearances and a game high 133 SCPoints.

Jarrod Brander – 8 touches at the half, finished with 17 with 5 marks and 75 SCPoints. We’ll take that at his price every day of the week.

Fremantle

Andrew Brayshaw – Had a team high 25 disposals, with 7 marks, 8 tackles and 5 clearance and 102 SCPoints. Looks the goods.

Nat Fyfe – Or Nat Dude as autocorrect tried to chance his name to. Spent some time at half-forward and had 23 disposals, 7 marks and 4 clearances. Still got a team high 114 SCPoints.

Cam McCarthy – On the wing which is an intriguing Supercoach move. 11 disposals and 4 marks at halftime and 17 for the game for 69 SCPoints.

Sean Darcy – Taken over as the ruck for the Dockers, had 14 disposals and 23 hitouts, but just 67 SCPoints.

Caleb Serong – Came on in the 4tb quarter and had 3 disposals.

And that will definitely be it for me tonight, but I wanna hear what you all thought of the Eagles and the Dockers. Anyone catch your eye? Or anyone crossed off your list?

Jorg Ancrath · 07/03/2020 at 22:17

Damo will be all barred up after that Brayshaw effort. Particularly last qtr, was everywhere. Tempting.

Shultz surely gets a start. $200k seems worth it. Brander also very solid. Even Bewley looked ok, though that elevated price is awkward.

Maverick_ · 07/03/2020 at 22:18

NicNat in 58% of TOG tonned up… anychance he ever gets up too 75-85% TOG? how big are ya plums fellas!

Gaff been at M5 for me for weeks he's uber consistent has a decent ceiling and I think Telly coming in will help Gaff push for top 8-10 mids after tonight he's still there and hopefully for R1 also..

Is Brayshaw going to burn 8% of SCers or could he be a genuine F3 option?he's fighting for that F3 in my side along with Dev, Macpherson, greenwood, lipinski, parish, dawson and 10 other blokes…

Brander is a Lock.. serong, bewley & cerra all disappointed tonight and will be no longer considerations. tobe watson a maybe at 123k

Tim Kelly hard too consider now after only tonning up just in both games.. Cogs a better option at similar price especially with taranto out

Russty_ · 07/03/2020 at 23:00

Hey Mav, I think Brayshaw is veeeery tempting now after that performance, 17 kicks and 7 handballs, 7 marks and 8 tackles…noice!
    I think my whole fwd line will be midpricers lol, Brander's a lock for sure, for me, he takes Hill's place, where was he today?…hardly sighted even though he played 56%..and why 56%?..is he still not right?..oh I just saw, he has some Quad "awareness"..off you go matey

Maverick_ · 07/03/2020 at 23:15

Hey russty post game Longmuir said hill had an issue with his quad I think it was.. tightness or something along those lines, what a disaster if he isn’t right for the season opener He’s already got an injury history with soft tissue too…
      Brayshaw was good tonight but something just doesn’t sit right with me picking him… like Petracca previous years I feel he may be a trap come the H&A. Watch me pick Dawson now and brayshaw go bananas haha

Russty_ · 07/03/2020 at 23:28

I hear ya…pick him and he ends up averaging 70 again and you're pulling your hair out but I think midpricers are justified this year, there's stuff all good rookies and they keep dropping!..when I dropped Hill I thought I may as well drop Rowell too LOL
        Good news about Hill is…Brander takes his place.

Maverick_ · 07/03/2020 at 23:39

Yeah rookies are bleak…
          currently running bonar, hill (probably drop him now), Rowell, T.Green and Ash.. all high priced rooks but better JS than all those 123k. Even the locks in Gould & greaves look to be no good now. D.Cameron playing VFL this week.
          Rookies always show up but there leaving it late this year.. going to make for an interesting year in SC it’ll all come down too who nails there midpricers from the get go

Russty_ · 07/03/2020 at 23:44

Yeah disappointing about Gould and Grieves, I was hoping to have another look at Grieves and Gould looked good with his body size, maybe he's not fit enough yet cause of his weight.

TOPHAWK1 · 08/03/2020 at 10:53

FML. Is Gould a non starter for round one as well now? Geez, this rookie drought is getting worse!

Russty_ · 08/03/2020 at 13:09

Hey TH, looks like he's not named in the next Sydney match on the bench, that's on afl.com.au team lineups, foxsports on the other hand have him and Dylan "Stephenson" named on a bench of 12…I'm confused, or they are.

Russty_ · 07/03/2020 at 23:41

P.S Mav, in regards to your NicNat question, think I'm going English over him, NicNat is a freakishly talented athlete who dominates when he's on, 9 hitouts to advantage I think?..it's just his durability for me, if he goes down again, it'd be a disaster.
    Whether his tog increases, not sure…maybe not ever, I guess it'll depend on the state of the game and if coach thinks they can win with Vardy or Hickey on.
    I reckon they should give that Williams bloke a crack when he's not injured, he looked a lively type unlike Hickey and Vardy who look like Frankenstein and his pet Zombie.

Maverick_ · 07/03/2020 at 23:55

Yeah I’ve had 3 blokes on my R2 shortlist and in the past 36 hours I’ve put a line through 2. but Gawn looked terrific in limited TOG

ROB- was very ordinary and rumours that tex will be giving him a chop out in the fwd half. Yeah no thanks, pass!

Lycett- Achilles are never short term injuries especially for ruckman and not cheap.. pass

English- didn’t watch the match but probably would have liked to have seen more considering he didn’t ruck against a decent opponent for a half and got beat in the last qtr when it mattered, a year early? Still a chance though for me

Sauce could be a Smokey if he tons up tomorrow He could tempt me especially with that midfield an a point to prove after losing his spot to ROB. The saving could be huge if rookies don’t show up for Rd1 and it allows me to pick up a Docherty instead of a base price rookie

Lekdog · 08/03/2020 at 18:01

They've talked about managing how many games Nic Nat plays already which unfortunately rules him out for me

TOPHAWK1 · 08/03/2020 at 10:45

I reckon Andrew Brayshaw is the real deal. He dominated last night. The bloke works really hard, and loves a tackle. Now that Blake Acres and Mundy are out, Brayshaw will need to shoulder a fair amount of responsibility in that Freo midfield. LOCK.

Shake n bake · 08/03/2020 at 14:26

Hey Hawk, just wondering if you would open a spot in your guns and Rookies league tried to jump in after l got the email but was already full. Was in last year. Let us know cheers.

TOPHAWK1 · 08/03/2020 at 14:49

Hi Shake. Going to open up a slot for you now. Let me know if you are in. Cheers mate.

Shake n bake · 08/03/2020 at 15:00

Definitely can u shot me thru the code again?

TOPHAWK1 · 08/03/2020 at 15:03

OK. It's 785719

Shake n bake · 08/03/2020 at 15:09

👌

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 08/03/2020 at 11:15

Thanks for the double shift BVC.
Took one for the team.

With Hill going down yesterday might have to abandon/re think GnR strategy.

Besides king, budarick, cameron, brandner and one of the 3 north boys which except for king aren't locks for round 1 I can't see any other cheap fwd line rooks play in rd 1.

As king is the only certainty dont want him on ground.

So lloyd, gawn or dusty will have to make way to bring in a mid priced fwd to cover lack of rooks up fwd.

NDD · 08/03/2020 at 11:56

going exactly that way Trigg From 12 prems. and 1 midpricer now 11 /4. Was thinking to cull one of the same three Trigg. Like them all but it came to LLOYD The 4 midpricers now are Smith Roberton darcy mac. and Doc all of who I don't like. thems the breaks 11/4. NDD

Derek · 08/03/2020 at 16:29

My strategy this year was to go with 13 Uber premiums. Other years I’ve tried to squeeze 14 keepers into starting team, but that meant Merrett, Crouch, Mundy types. Boy did I miss not having Neale and Lloyd at start of last year.

2, 5, 2, 2 with the 12th keeper depending on rookies. Most likely defence or forward than going 6 deep in guts.

Originally it was between Sicily and Heeney as my 12th, but Houston has jumped ahead.

With the need for expensive rookies, I was looking at either Docherty or Petracca as the 12th premium. Or A number of other midprice options.

I may end up like you with just the 11. I’m really happy with my 11 and anything less is going back to last year. Lloyd, Laird, Macrae, Neale, Cripps, Titch, Oliver, Grundy, Gawn, Whitfield and Dusty.

Houston, Sicily, Heeney and Coniglio are all in consideration for the 12th spot.

Let us see what Rookies we are given.

Derek · 08/03/2020 at 16:30

I meant to say, 12 Uber premiums…..

NDD · 08/03/2020 at 17:08

Sicily Coniglio and Houston are priced too good to refuse Derek. particularly when we are gonna need all we can get. Coniglio and Sicily for Bont and LLOYD gains almost 150k and both are in good form

Russty_ · 08/03/2020 at 17:10

Looks like a solid starting base for a team Derek, much more sensible than my dog's breakfast lol

Steve · 08/03/2020 at 11:28

Going to keep a close eye on Dan Butler today at $234.600

TOPHAWK1 · 08/03/2020 at 15:09

I might be buying back into the curse, but after today, Coniglio will be back in my side. That bloke is a bloody star!!

Russty_ · 08/03/2020 at 15:26

Reckon he's nice value too TH, extra responsibility with the captaincy too, as well s the Bont..could see them both have their best years yet

Derek · 08/03/2020 at 17:04

Why did he miss so many games last year?

Russty_ · 08/03/2020 at 17:09

He tore the cartilage in his knee and needed surgery, not an ACL but still 3 months recovery.

Russty_ · 08/03/2020 at 16:06

Jeez Roberton's looking good early, 5 kicks 4 marks, lockity lock lock in my side…interested in what Noble does today too.
Didn't really translate into SC points in that 1st quarter, have to see what happens I guess.

Russty_ · 08/03/2020 at 17:17

Going by Ratten's before game interview, Rowan Marshall isn't really a viable Supercoach pick this year, he said him and Ryder will be pretty much 50-50 rucking and forward, to preserve Marshall's longevity and to prevent burnout…good for the side, bad for Supercoach.

Lekdog · 08/03/2020 at 18:01