MARSH SERIES REPORT: North Melbourne v Western Bulldogs

Published by Barron Von Crow on

The Bulldogs kept this one out of the Roos reach after half-time, but there was still a lot of heat in this game, particularly in the first half. The Roos had a few chances, but only managed 3 goals to the Bulldogs 8 in the 2nd half as the game slowly fizzled out to end with a 101-57 victory to the Bulldogs.

NORTH MELBOURNE

Tarryn Thomas – $339,900 – FWD – Kicked a brilliant goal in the first, but struggled to stay involved across all 4 quarters. Finished with 16 disposals, 5 tackled and a goal.

Jack Mahony – $117,300 – MID/FWD – Can’t say I noticed him out there and he finished with just 6 disposals from 69% ToG.

Todd Goldstein – $609,400 – RUC – Will likely be the POD ruck option, he did spend a bit of time up forward with Xerri in the team, but that won’t happen in the real stuff.

Looked to be moving well, we know how good Goldy can be, so that’s what you want to see from someone like him in the preseason.

Aiden Bonar – $202,800 – MID/FWD – Started slow, but built into the game well. Had 15 disposals, 4 clearances and 8 tackles with 62% ToG. Promising, especially at his price.

Sam Durdin – $285,600 – DEF – Has struggled for consistency since being drafted in the first round in 2014. Solid first half and a bit more quiet in the second to finish with 11 touches. May be competing with Josh Walker for a spot with Robbie Tarrant also coming back, so value doesn’t look to be there.

Curtis Taylor – $123,900 – FWD – Took a cracking mark in the 3rd quarter.

Not Supercoach relevant, but still impressive. Played less than half a game and kicked a goal with 8 disposals and 4 marks.

Tristan Xerri – $123,900 – RUC/FWD – Spent a lot of time up forward and did a bit of everything, kicking 2 goals, along with 24 hitouts. Doubt he starts, but looks to have potential as a backup.

Jy Simpkin – $383,000 – MID/FWD – Had plenty of midfield time, and finished with 19 disposals, 4 clearances and 6 tackles . Only question is how much mid time he gets when a player like Shaun Higgins returns.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Alex Keath – $413,000 – DEF – Took more than a few intercept marks and had 16 disposals and 9 marks. Intercept possessions are enticing, question will be if he will get enough of it.

Caleb Daniel – $537,900 – DEF – Does what he does, finds the ball across half back and almost always takes the right option and uses it well. Had 20 disposals, but the ball was played in the Bulldogs half for most of the 2nd half of the game.

Marcus Bontempelli – $623,000 – MID – Belonged at Burning Man because he was ON FIRE in the first half.

Currently has ownership percentage of 11%, which is well behind the 15.3% of Dunkley and 31.4% of MacRae. Look for the Bonts ownership to rise after this performance. Kicked 2 goals with 37 disposals, 8 tackles, 10 clearances, 11 inside 50’s and 13 score involvements. Huge game with 195 SCPoints, let’s hope he plays that well again in a real game!

Jordon Sweet – $123,900 – RUC – Was outplayed in the ruck against some excellent opposition, but given his experience level that wasn’t a massive surprise. 25 hitouts with 13 disposals, much like Xerri, he’s backup material currently.

Jack Macrae – $668,900 – MID – Next best midfielder for the Bulldogs with 31 disposals, 9 tackles, 9 clearances and 10 score involvements.

Josh Dunkley – $632,400 – MID – Looked to receive slightly less midfield time than Bontempelli and MacRae, but still had 23 disposals, 10 tackles and 7 clearances.

That’s it from me, but what did the JR Community think of this game?

Russty_ · 21/02/2020 at 22:25

Thanks for this Barron, wasn't too keen on Bonar but sounds like he did ok, them's some ok stats, gonna go watch the game now, cheers…p.s welcome Bont LOL

SC_Kev7 · 22/02/2020 at 09:49

Hopefully we’ll see a full strength North midfield next time they play but they need a big body on the inside and Bonar is that.

Report on Hawks v Saints is up. Check the main page

COREYSC · 21/02/2020 at 22:40

Jordan Sweet a rookie option? 123K looked promising on the stats sheet!

Astro · 21/02/2020 at 23:16

Think Bevo will opt for English with Trengove as a backup. Sweet had some solid VFL performances last year but he'd probably need an injury to English to get a look in.

That being said, there aren't too many rookie ruckmen who are in the mix, so he may well be our best shot at game time.

COREYSC · 21/02/2020 at 23:31

Yeah righto, just with Naughton out getting surgery on his knee I thought there may have been a spot potentially

Russty_ · 22/02/2020 at 16:19

Thought Bont or Dunkley might've spent a bit more time forward with Naughton out but that Young kid did pretty well as a stand in.

COREYSC · 22/02/2020 at 19:23

Yeah three snags was a great performance

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 21/02/2020 at 23:14

Dammitt bont you weren't meant to play that well out of the gate!

Now How r u gonna be a pod?

Holty01 · 21/02/2020 at 23:31

He was alwqys a bye target for me Trigga. Has Deboer in rounds 3 and 13 which is almost guaranteed. But after tonight, probably won’t be that big a deal if he gets a few 60s against him.

Russty_ · 21/02/2020 at 23:47

Hopefully when Macrae and Dunks get 150 next week and Bont gets 100…things will return back to normal πŸ˜‰

Vinnymac · 22/02/2020 at 00:17

Expecting most teams to target Bont to curb his influence, and he'll end up floating forward a bit more. Dunkley will likely take on that inside role in that case and so at this point in time I'm sticking with him and Macrae over the Bont!

Holty01 · 22/02/2020 at 21:02

He is a option after the byes for me Trigga. Has Deboer round 3 & 13. Although if he scores like this, won’t matter if he gets a few 60s

Russty_ · 21/02/2020 at 23:48

Does Xerri go straight in if Goldy goes down or Comben?

JohnDJ59 · 22/02/2020 at 00:18

After the past few games, I have gone Dunkley to Titch and Danger to Bont, so I can afford to go Young to Hill. I might even go Gawn to Marshall, since $1,000 left in the bank isn't a lot.

Russty_ · 22/02/2020 at 16:18

Hey mate, I'm keeping my eye out for hopefully a look at Starcevich and Brander before the season starts,and any other defensive cheaper priced rookies, not sure if either will play but I wouldn't mind saving the money by not having Young or Hill in there if possible.

JohnDJ59 · 23/02/2020 at 23:30

I was hoping Rivers would get a run, now I'm not sure he will be there round one, McLennan didn't do much by the look of it, my defensive rookies are looking thin.

AuroraBorealis?! · 22/02/2020 at 00:58

I wonder what happened to sc_wow?

Haven't heard from him in so long :'(

Russty_ · 22/02/2020 at 16:16

Him, her, them, it?…I suspect the entity isn't too far away mate, not many negative vibes around but when they do appear, they always seem to have a familiarity about them.

BundyBear · 22/02/2020 at 02:19

Hi everyone. Hope this isnt the wrong place. But if anyone wants to join a league for this year the code number is 367607. No Im not an expert but enjoy the game a lot. Have been doing Supercoach for about 7 years now. Feel free to join

SC_2020 · 22/02/2020 at 07:55

I'm in Bear.. cheers

Rabbits16 · 22/02/2020 at 08:27

im in too

Captain_Risky · 22/02/2020 at 08:52

same, thanks

Tibor · 22/02/2020 at 16:39

Count me in thanks

Rabbits16 · 22/02/2020 at 08:29

337917 for another league

SC_2020 · 22/02/2020 at 08:52

I'm in Rabbits, cheers

KeenButClueless · 22/02/2020 at 16:06

That’s one of those moves that can break your season early. If he performs, you are playing catch up all season. If you are right and he doesn’t perform, those that start with him will still be able to trade down without losing too many points. I don’t think you grab a huge advantage by not starting him.

In short, big disadvantage if you are wrong and don’t start him, but only small advantage if you are right. What’s your risk appetite?

Russty_ · 22/02/2020 at 16:21

Yeah agree with Keen Max, leave Grundy out at your peril!…he's the best in the business and one down performance in a scratchy doesn't mean much.

Therealsharkmove · 22/02/2020 at 16:45

I actually think you would gain alot from not starting him (assuming you spent the leftover money wisely) but it's such a high risk move.

But the player that stood out more to me in your post is De Koning. If he lines up Round 1 (which I think he will) gonna really make a hard decision at r3 vs non playing loophole.

Russty_ · 22/02/2020 at 17:15

Could maybe take Dekoning as a moneymaking backup and put Bennell into the midfield as the loopholer

Derek · 22/02/2020 at 16:50

Go have another look at his weekly scores from last year, you will make the right decision.

Therealsharkmove · 22/02/2020 at 18:15

I'm definitely starting Grundy, but I'm not starting Gawn. Why, you ask? Because of Reilly O'Brien. Not Reilly O'Brien 2020, I mean Reilly O'Brien 2019.
Quite possibly the best rookie we've seen since Barlow but most people either didn't have him or couldn't get him on the field. Reason being? Because set & forget rucks is the only way to go apparently.

In 2020 I see alot of potential on the 123k price range for rucks. Sweet, De Koning, Draper, Meek, Xerri, the WCE fella. We are one injury away from seeing any of these guys become number one ruckmen for their clubs, just like Sam Jacobs

Therealsharkmove · 22/02/2020 at 20:19

Yes that's him NDD, I think he is actually a DEF in SC too so doesn't help us at r3…..probably more value to us a DEF anyway, pretty grim there as far as rookies go

COREYSC · 22/02/2020 at 19:23

Good Lord Pertracca 38 disposals and 3 goals, don’t tempt me……..

Tibor · 22/02/2020 at 19:52

I think he might have just fallen short of the 200 points……..disappointing again…

dontblushbaby · 22/02/2020 at 20:17

Breakout imo, he reminds me a bit like Dusty early on , no tank then got fit

TOPHAWK1 · 22/02/2020 at 19:28

Aaron Vandenberg folks! 100 SC today. He is getting me excited for that F4 position. Its Cam Rayner over to you now. Show TH what you got.

Tibor · 22/02/2020 at 19:51

Love Vandenberg Tophawk but his injury history is a horror show. Beautiful price but a big risk. I pick Petracca every year because surely a player that bloody good becomes a superstar eventually. He never really delivers though, certainly not disappointing just a bit underwhelming.

Maybe this year.

Make sure you watch today’s game NDD and then tell me to keep the lid on anyway

Tibor · 22/02/2020 at 20:04

You always were. A T Mac fan, Vander always in if fit he just adds the hard edge that counts against strong opposition. I have always been a wrap for Petracca surely this must be the year he delivers on all his ability, finally actually looks properly fit and prepared.

TOPHAWK1 · 22/02/2020 at 20:48

I have always rated Vandenberg and still do. His injury history like Tibor said is the big issue/risk. He is is 27 years old so age is still on his side physically. If he gets through the next game unscathed, and backs it up, he will a likely starter at F4 in my side. Still a fair bit of water to flow under the bridge. Petracca is tantalising, but not sold just yet. Will watch him. T Mac when confident, is a gun. On my watchlist as well. Cheers NDD.
    TH

dontblushbaby · 22/02/2020 at 21:35

T.Lynch & T Mac are a similar price if we are going to pick a key forward ? who has a higher ceiling?

Shake n bake · 22/02/2020 at 22:24

Hey Hawk, tried to enter guns and rookies but it was full. Let me know if you can open a spot. Cheers. Neil I’ve had Tracks in my side for a couple of weeks now. And now he pulls this out!