Happy New Year coaches! I’ve been a bit focused on Test cricket, Summer ales, and holidaying with the family over the last few months, but Supercoach (and you all) have never been far from my mind.

I’ve been working on some data tools for you, a refresh of my Team Picker which I developed last year, and a database of AFL / Supercoach stats for 2015-2019. I didn’t want to overwhelm you with much more data than that.

The Team Picker should be pretty self explanatory, and I think the PLayer list is up-to-date. Type the player’s full name in the Name column. The rest of it will fill itself out. Or use the Drop down list.

The database is just a dump of 5 years’ data in Excel form. No macros, no bells or whistles. If you’re an Excel Novice, there are simple filters at the top of each column which will help you sort out data pretty easily. If you’re a bit more experienced, you probably don’t need my help.

I’ll be lurking in the comments, and am keen to help anyone out and make changes to the files as needed. Feel free to make suggestions, and I may be able to incorporate them pretty quickly.

Also, I will produce a Marsh Cup data set each week as the games finish. That will be in a separate file.

Categories: Supercoach

NDD · 11/02/2020 at 11:19

kudos Matty better than other similar databases easier to follow and usefull. Thanks heaps. NDD

Statty Matty · 11/02/2020 at 11:32

No problems, NDD.

For my personal use I have filters and buttons, charts, pivot tables, macros and "stuff" but for the most part, people just want raw data. Especially when the AFL has shut down data on the site for the moment.

I'm happy to provide more data (historical data, not more stats) to people if they want, but it's not as useful as more current data. Not as many 'advanced stats'. But interesting for basic stats like kicks, goals etc. over history.

Lekdog · 12/02/2020 at 09:45

Can you provide sleeve based stats?

Statty Matty · 12/02/2020 at 09:58

Sorry, that might be a question for Swamp Thing. I only track relevant stats.

Buddy Ballers · 11/02/2020 at 16:02

Great downloadable content guys!! LOVE IT. If anyone is interested in putting this data to good use I’m running a $100 or a massive $500 cash league, email me! We have 9 so far for $500, trying to see if I can push it to 18 next week or two but otherwise likely only one spot left.
Email [email protected] and l’ll add you to group

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 11/02/2020 at 17:01

Nice work Matty.

There are some serious stats there!

Do you think you can do a season avg sheet with games played for the home and away season only for the last 4 years?

Ta.

Statty Matty · 12/02/2020 at 09:57

There should be that exact tab in there, Trigga, called "SeasonAvgs". Or are you just after Home and Away averages?

Let me know and I can customise and re-upload it. 🙂

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 12/02/2020 at 17:53

Just home and away

Then can have a go at the risk matrix. 👍

frogger · 12/02/2020 at 15:20

Hi Mattyy,
Fantastic work, is there a way to donate?
Had been putting data togwther myself but manually (couldn't get the scraping up and running)
Makes it super-easy to prepare the data for Spotfire etc.

Lekdog · 13/02/2020 at 19:22

Thanks for donating legend

The_Blacksheep · 13/02/2020 at 18:09

Nice work Matty! Would love to use it but I cant work out why '#NAME?' comes up when i enter a name. I am one of those excel novices although that's a nice way of putting it….

Statty Matty · 13/02/2020 at 19:37

Hey Blacksheep, did you use the drop down list or did you type the name in? If you type it in, you need to get the spelling exact (not the case, just the letters.)

Does it do this for all players, or just a specific one?

EDIT: I know what it is. I did this same dumb thing last year. I'm fixing it up and I'll repost to the same link.
    It should be fixed now. Download it again and see if that fixes it.

Sorry about that. 🙂