After launching the phantom menace last week, I thought I would have another go at a new team based on total points scored in 2019.
Let’s face it this game really comes down to one thing – the supercoach team that scores the most points for the home and away season wins. If you miss out, you can still have a happy ending, but I digress. To score the most points in the home and away season would mean that the players in this team would also have to be durable buggers because if you don’t play you don’t score. These guys are the warriors that played every game last year and went on a point scoring bonanza.
So pretty simple this one.
As this team is based on most points scored in each position then it is a pure Guns and Rookies team as the point scorers from last year are expensive.
So, I have selected a team based on the most points scored in 2019 by position. I have gone with the following structure on field:
Defence – 3 plus rooks
Midfield – 5 plus rooks
Rucks – 2
Forwards – 3 plus rooks
So, based on this structure the following team is formed.
As you can see the 13 players selected chews up just under $8M of your salary cap but you have 13 keepers right there.
The table below shows the total points scored by each player last year – 31,496 from 13 players!
The winner last year scored 53,679 and I’m sure would have most of these players as part of their team at some stage. If you included the above 13 in your starting squad in 2020 and they produced a similar result that is 60% of the winning score sitting in your team from round 1!
Now there is something to think about.
I don’t know about you, but I would be pretty damn happy to take that!
So, let’s see what we have got here, dive a bit deeper and have a good look.
- Lloyd no real surprise there he just keeps racking them up.
- Stewart – now there is a surprise. I wouldn’t have picked that one – value there.
- Laird – value there as well, under-priced.
- How much is that doggie in the window? Ans: a pretty penny but big point scorers especially at Marvel. And the dogs play 12 games at Marvel including 4 of their first 5! Imagine having 3 of the highest scorers playing on their home deck early – off to a flyer comes to mind.
Now I know there are those amongst us who say you can’t have 3 players from the same club playing in the same position. What about the byes? Well what about the byes?
The doggies have the Rd 14 bye and share that bye with Adelaide, Gold coast, GWS, Hawthorn and the Kangaroos.
Except for GWS do you really see your team having a host of players from the other 4 clubs? Sicily, laird maybe then ??? You may have a few from these teams early on but in all honesty will have upgraded to someone who has had their bye by the time Rd 14 rolls around. Also, it means you can power through Rd 12,13 with 3 guns on ground in the midfield while other teams have a rest. “😊”
- Neale well that is a given he would be there – never misses and a point scoring goliath.
- BBQ’s Treloar welcome to the side – must have cleaned up that disposal efficiency – always knew you had in you. I think I read somewhere he had the most disposals last year.
- Grawndy – Is anyone surprised at this one? They scored close to 200 more points that the next best ruck Goldy last year.
- Walters there is a surprise. I would have thought Sonny would have missed games through injury or suspension last year. But nope he has got his body right and got rid of that silliness in his game – played the full 22 last year.
- Heeney – I’m sure he was injured or at least playing hurt last year, wasn’t he? Nope – again played all 22.
- Ablett – surely, they are having a lend now? He missed games right due to injury or the general? Yes, he did – 1 only! So, played 21 and pumped out a huge 167 in his final game of the home and away season.
- Note: Dusty scored 9 points less that Yablett so if you don’t want the pod in Yablett can sub in Dusty though he is $30k more.
So, the rest is just a matter of filling in the gaps with rookies who you believe will play round 1 or early on.
So, based on what I have read or heard around the traps or just gut feel this what I have come up with to use the remaining $2.1M and fill 13 spots.
Team is complete with $5.3k remaining!
Not a bad looking side eh?
I think the forward and backlines may struggle with rookie selection so I have included two of the dearer rookies in Young and Cockatoo who by all reports should pull the jumper on round 1 rather than put in two cheaper rookies who won’t play.
Hibberd out for 6 so probably won’t play round 1 though you could always stash him on your bench until he is fit and ready for selection.
Bear in mind though the rookies could change drastically by Rd 1 and we haven’t even bounced a ball in the pre season yet!
But this side is all about the point scorers – they are locked in you just need to tinker with the rookies to complete the team.
The team is pure GnR with the G scoring a massive 31,496 last year.
Can you think of a reason of why they won’t produce a similar result in 2020? I can’t.
So, load the GUN if you are game.
Gone to my happy place be back in a few ……