After launching the phantom menace last week, I thought I would have another go at a new team based on total points scored in 2019.

Let’s face it this game really comes down to one thing – the supercoach team that scores the most points for the home and away season wins. If you miss out, you can still have a happy ending, but I digress. To score the most points in the home and away season would mean that the players in this team would also have to be durable buggers because if you don’t play you don’t score.  These guys are the warriors that played every game last year and went on a point scoring bonanza.

So pretty simple this one.

As this team is based on most points scored in each position then it is a pure Guns and Rookies team as the point scorers from last year are expensive.

So, I have selected a team based on the most points scored in 2019 by position. I have gone with the following structure on field:

Defence – 3 plus rooks

Midfield – 5 plus rooks

Rucks – 2

Forwards – 3 plus rooks

So, based on this structure the following team is formed.

As you can see the 13 players selected chews up just under $8M of your salary cap but you have 13 keepers right there.

The table below shows the total points scored by each player last year – 31,496 from 13 players!

The winner last year scored 53,679 and I’m sure would have most of these players as part of their team at some stage. If you included the above 13 in your starting squad in 2020 and they produced a similar result that is 60% of the winning score sitting in your team from round 1!

Now there is something to think about.

I don’t know about you, but I would be pretty damn happy to take that!

So, let’s see what we have got here, dive a bit deeper and have a good look.

Defence:

• Lloyd no real surprise there he just keeps racking them up.
  • Stewart – now there is a surprise. I wouldn’t have picked that one – value there.
  • Laird – value there as well, under-priced.

Midfield

• How much is that doggie in the window? Ans:  a pretty penny but big point scorers especially at Marvel. And the dogs play 12 games at Marvel including 4 of their first 5! Imagine having 3 of the highest scorers playing on their home deck early – off to a flyer comes to mind.

Now I know there are those amongst us who say you can’t have 3 players from the same club playing in the same position. What about the byes? Well what about the byes?

The doggies have the Rd 14 bye and share that bye with Adelaide, Gold coast, GWS, Hawthorn and the Kangaroos.

Except for GWS do you really see your team having a host of players from the other 4 clubs? Sicily, laird maybe then ??? You may have a few from these teams early on but in all honesty will have upgraded to someone who has had their bye by the time Rd 14 rolls around. Also, it means you can power through Rd 12,13 with 3 guns on ground in the midfield while other teams have a rest. “😊”

• Neale well that is a given he would be there – never misses and a point scoring goliath.
  • BBQ’s Treloar welcome to the side – must have cleaned up that disposal efficiency – always knew you had in you. I think I read somewhere he had the most disposals last year.

Rucks

•  Grawndy – Is anyone surprised at this one? They scored close to 200 more points that the next best ruck Goldy last year.

Forwards

• Walters there is a surprise. I would have thought Sonny would have missed games through injury or suspension last year. But nope he has got his body right and got rid of that silliness in his game – played the full 22 last year.
  • Heeney – I’m sure he was injured or at least playing hurt last year, wasn’t he? Nope – again played all 22.
  • Ablett – surely, they are having a lend now? He missed games right due to injury or the general? Yes, he did – 1 only! So, played 21 and pumped out a huge 167 in his final game of the home and away season.
  • Note: Dusty scored 9 points less that Yablett so if you don’t want the pod in Yablett can sub in Dusty though he is $30k more.

So, the rest is just a matter of filling in the gaps with rookies who you believe will play round 1 or early on.

So, based on what I have read or heard around the traps or just gut feel this what I have come up with to use the remaining $2.1M and fill 13 spots.

Voila!

Team is complete with $5.3k remaining!

Not a bad looking side eh?

I think the forward and backlines may struggle with rookie selection so I have included two of the dearer rookies in Young and Cockatoo who by all reports should pull the jumper on round 1 rather than put in two cheaper rookies who won’t play.

Hibberd out for 6 so probably won’t play round 1 though you could always stash him on your bench until he is fit and ready for selection.

Bear in mind though the rookies could change drastically by Rd 1 and we haven’t even bounced a ball in the pre season yet!

But this side is all about the point scorers – they are locked in you just need to tinker with the rookies to complete the team.

The team is pure GnR with the G scoring a massive 31,496 last year.

Can you think of a reason of why they won’t produce a similar result in 2020? I can’t.

So, load the GUN if you are game.

Gone to my happy place be back in a few ……

Russty_ · 30/01/2020 at 20:27

This is great stuff Trigger, thanks for the effort mate, my team's not too far away from that formula, but just goes to show how important reliability is in a player, the ability to play most or all games in a season.
Stewart I'm happy to say I called his improvement before last season started.
Noice work bud.

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 31/01/2020 at 15:37

cant score it you aren't on the park – get on the warriors

BrownlowBoy · 31/01/2020 at 10:08

TH I posted the league code in one of the leagues for you to join!

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 31/01/2020 at 15:48

Thanks BB

just jumped in

COREYSC · 31/01/2020 at 13:59

Great to back to for SC 2020
Are we running Docherty at D2 or D3 this season?

Russty_ · 31/01/2020 at 17:23

3 for me Corey,I wanted to have 3 solid options across the top line, hoping Doch can get somewhere near back to his best again.

COREYSC · 01/02/2020 at 18:23

Fair enough mate some interesting mid price options in Doedee and Roberton too

Russty_ · 01/02/2020 at 18:59

For sure…I'm going probably with Dodee as well I think, I hate trying to fix the backline.

COREYSC · 02/02/2020 at 22:44

I like Doedee I also like Roberton and S.Hill but pre-season will paint a better picture on who will be safe selections but I had all three with Gould, Docherty and Daniel as the rest onfield in my backline

Derek · 31/01/2020 at 15:17

Great work Trigger

This year I’m definitely going to stick with durable players only

I say it every year

My best ever finish in 2015 was purely on the back of no injuries to premium players. JPK, Cotchin, Pendles, Priddis etc weren’t fancy compared to Rocky, Crouch, Fyfe, Gaz, Swann, Treloar etc but they hardly missed games

It’s even worse when they miss games in the bye rounds and you rely on Sun rookies to replace premiums….. oh dear the pain.

Dunkley is getting closer to being in my team, ? With Fyfe, Cripps, Coniglio, even Whitfield?

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 31/01/2020 at 15:44

ideally they need to play every week

Perhaps I should roll out the ol risk matrix again?

though it did need a lot of data from previous years which was provided by ol Ocker.

Shake n bake · 31/01/2020 at 18:09

Hey Derek have a strong league again in up there cazaly, l have left a spot open just for you. Missed you last year! You up for it this year?? If yes just reply I’ll give u the code straight away. Cheers buddy.

Derek · 31/01/2020 at 23:37

Thanks Shake. Don’t know how I missed out last year

Shake n bake · 01/02/2020 at 08:03

Beautiful, code is 145829. Let me know when ur in. 🤗

BrownlowBoy · 01/02/2020 at 08:58

Derek you should have received an email to join Elite of the Elite earlier this week. Jump in.

Derek · 01/02/2020 at 11:50

Thanks BB. Will jump in

KeenButClueless · 31/01/2020 at 17:27

Great work Trig.

I have taken your concept, and added one factor – when the player is missing, you get a bench rookie score. I have taken 45 for forwards, 50 for defenders and 55 for midfield.

For defenders, Houli comes in at 2000+150=2150. This edges out Laird. Williams would have also edged out Laird, but not Houli.

For the mids, Fyfe 2400+110=2510 edges out Treloar. Danger would also have edged out Treloar, but not Fyfe.

For the forwards Martin 2000+90=2090 edges out Ablett. Whitfield still not in top bracket 1780+270=2050.

So, what does it mean?

For me, it probably means that the extra cash takes away your ability to grab some of the more expensive rookies.

It also highlights Derek’s point on durability. For example, if both Walters and Whitfield duplicate their 2019 seasons, you would spend 50k less on Walters and get 167 more points across the season. I think it’s worth just doing a realistic prediction of games played and average, then assess total points, before selecting someone. My cognitive bias says Whitfield is a lock, my numbers are making me waver!

JohnDJ59 · 01/02/2020 at 23:11

Most teams have Whitfield as a lock, as do I and is one reason to have him, in case he does really well from the start, like he did last year, but there is a lot of value on the fwd line, it is very tempting to go with a few of the mid priced players. Brayshaw, Steven, D.Smith, C.Jones are the ones that interest me. Two of them will probably end up at F3 and F4 in my team.

Shake n bake · 31/01/2020 at 18:00

Is Max Gawn??!!

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 31/01/2020 at 18:06

Done his knee maybe? 😬

Shake n bake · 31/01/2020 at 18:23

Hope it’s not the case, but could you imagine!

Shake n bake · 31/01/2020 at 18:46

Saying maybe 3 weeks Trigga.

Russty_ · 31/01/2020 at 19:49

A grade 2 medial ligament strain…get well soon big fella!

Jess · 31/01/2020 at 22:18

4 weeks max (gawn) for that injury. Its simple, if he plays rd 1 he is in

Philly · 01/02/2020 at 13:43

If I don't see him in the pre season he is out for me, regardless if playing Round 1…..Can't be spending 700k on a player under done.

Jess · 01/02/2020 at 20:11

This is gawn we are talking about. He will most likely score better than any midfielder this year, or at least come close.

If he plays round one he is a certain lock for me. If he isnt playing round when thats when to have a back up plan to get gawn in later.

CuriousGeorge · 01/02/2020 at 20:34

Gawn only averaged 9pts p/week more than goldy last season I reckon thats a wise move philly

Jess · 02/02/2020 at 15:30

You will lose 20 p.

Adam · 31/01/2020 at 20:04

1st Go Fa 2020

Williams. Doc. Sicily. Hill.( Young. Gould. Rivers. Pepper )
Fyfe. Kelly. Cripps. Kelly. Coniglio. Rowell. Valente. Pickett
(Simpson. Mead. Hibberd )
Grundy. NicNat. Comben
Martin. Greene. Heeney. Steven. Smith. ( Rankine. Cockatoo. Cameron )

dontblushbaby · 31/01/2020 at 23:08

Like Nic Nat, had him before Gawn went down today, huge value but yes a risk

NDD · 01/02/2020 at 11:57

Great enjoyable read Trig Who's the young fella looks like schomo as a boy? Some quality stuff coming out of the site,,this by far the best NDD

JohnDJ59 · 01/02/2020 at 18:17

Star Wars.

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 01/02/2020 at 18:21

BBL or the movie? 🤣

NDD · 01/02/2020 at 18:22

knew i had seen him ,thanks john bye the way am i missing something with Gawn 7 weeks to the start and a 3 week injury and he is in ripping shape so wont need much gametime He plays round 1 no problems

JohnDJ59 · 01/02/2020 at 23:14

Gawn is still in my team.

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 01/02/2020 at 18:30

Cheers NDD

Appreciate the feedback 👍

Ross The Boss · 01/02/2020 at 21:20

Hi everyone it’s your favourite coach here Ross the Boss Lyons, Just want to the thank the Supercoach community for all the love and support over the AFL seasons.I guess F.U.R.L stands for favourite uncle Rossy Lion right.I am starting a team and looking for other great coaches to get on board and help me to get that Grand Final win I deserve, So if you half as good as my boy Zaccy Dawson get on board and join league code 427070.

Cobema Wolf · 12/02/2020 at 17:03

Wow !! If only most of society operated like this and owned their actions and were big enough to swallow pride and apologise, as a whole the world would be a better place! Well done OOOP_s
and TRIGGA_HAPPY for being showing 1) how to own ur sh$t and apologise and 2) being mature enough in ur response knowing that sometimes people are just having a bad day ! Much respect to both of u !