Supercoach Cheat Sheet | Pre-round 8

Welcome back supercoaches. Hopefully you haven’t deleted your team in disgust after last week’s pitiful displays from many of out beloved premos. I barely scraped into the high 1900s myself after a double downgrade and holding Whitfield on the bench. But this week is different. This week we can start anew. In the words of the great poet, Ice Cube, “It’s on like Donkey Kong”.

There so many things we can do this week. A few good rookies, and lots of value in fallen premiums. The big question everyone is asking is “What do I do with Dangerfield”. With a medial ligament injury it could just be 1 week, it could be 4. Do you hold him, sideways trade for Boak or Daniel? It’s like my own “Sophie’s Choice”. (Narrator: It was nothing like “Sophie’s Choice”.)

With rucks being a really tough set of players to add to this cheat sheet each week, we’ve tried something new this edition. I’ve swapped out rucks for a few interesting PODs. PODs can be misunderstood as simply “someone different for the sake of it”. But a good POD, a POD who performs well when the popular players don’t, will catapult you up the rankings. The three I’ve suggested, JJ, Cunnington and Stephenson all have risks associated with them, but could provide that boost that other teams don’t have.

Lastly every trade from now needs to consider your plan for the byes. Look and any potential trade ins and trade outs and see if they can be ‘managed” over the byes to maximise your scores. Also think about how you can use 9 trades over 3 weeks to shift your team in a different direction if needed.

See ya in the comments,
Statty Matty.

1. Cock and balls says:

To many downgrades not enough trades

2. SC_Kev7 says:

God you're good, Statty! I don't want to put him there but Danger is starting to nudge his way onto my burn list. All the drama last year when he got injured preseason then played forward for ages. Geelong not lacking in the midfield so could this happen again? I paid for a midfielder, not a stay at home forward with one leg that handballs when he's 10m out. Arrghhhhh

• Statty Matty says:

I've been learning from the best, Kev. Never heard of the "Bruyn Manoeuver" until Patch and Lek mentioned it the last 2 weeks with Whitfield and Danger.

We all know Danger has Wolverine like recovery powers, and on the flipside could just sit in the goal square and kick 6 goals on 1 leg. Really depends on how long he's out. He's already dropped $40k ($70k prior to last week, so $110k total), and will probably only drop another $70-80k. If the player you trade in can make you another $70-80, are 2 trades worth $150k? That's the million dollar question.

• Noirlust says:

I think it becomes more on, can you have him there bringing sub par Dangerfield scores for the next few weeks, or even not playing at all.
        A medial is not a insignificant injury. We seen at the start of last year when he was underdone coming into the season and coping a light hammy early on. He dished out some terrible numbers for his standards.

Paddy to a Boak/Kelly if you don't have them yet is a good trade for mine.
        I personally will be going Boak, comes with Ollie out for a few more weeks and a better bye.

Its all well and good to talk about him kicking a bag up FF, that imo was Hawks not prepared for it. He hasn't remotely looked like doing it since, and that was 2 years ago.

The other factor that comes to play, how many trades have you made already, can you afford the trade, are there rookie trades you absolutely need to make this week?

3. Derek says:

Is Daniel playing in JJ’s role?

I noticed Daniel scoring well in the first few weeks (picked him off the free agent list in draft) but thought that won’t last when JJ comes back.

It’s been 3 weeks, doesn’t seem to have effected Daniel yet.

Will this change as JJ gets his fitness back, or do they have completely different positions?

Any bulldog fans can help.

• Russty_ says:

Hey Derek, from what I saw of his last few games, he's like a mini me backline general now, but also seems to get all over the ground gathering possessions and making tackles etc intercept marking, and kicking with accuracy.
      Much better than his small forward role used to be and very Supercoach friendly.

• Derek says:

So what does JJ do?

• Russty_ says:

Well he generally plays on the wing as a roaming runner, but Daniel does seem to do the same kind of thing, Daniel can't be a lockdown defender cause he's too short, Trengove's back now so he does that, and Wood etc.
          Can't see Daniel's role changing much cause it's working so well.

• Finnius says:

He stilled scored well when JJ is out.

• Derek says:

Has Daniel, JJ and Suckling all played together this year?

Is there room for all 3 doing the same thing.

4. Boak's Dad says:

I like seeing my bank account grow while having a shitty team. I hate my life.

5. Big G says:

Will setterfield ever come back?

6. Gainsy says:

12.1 value + 700k in bank. How are others fairing?

7. dontblushbaby says:

Hately buyers will have to reverse , thought that would happen

8. Dash says:

85 K – Seeking your best two trades this week. Double down or up and down

Laird, Whitfield, D Moore, Sicily, Duursma, Collins (Clark, Burgess)
    Macrae, Cripps, Fyfe, Neale, Libba, Walsh, Butters, Atkins, (Hayes, Scott, Gibbons)
    Gawn, Grundy, (Bines)
    Danger, Heeney, Boak, Drew, Petrucelle, Parker (Setterfield, Balta)

• redherringfc says:

Depends on your bank, but Burgess to Answerth is my first thought.

I don’t know BE’s but Petrucelle to Corbett would be my second choice, unless you can make 530k or so, then grab Cameron. Or Hawkins or Kelly for a touch over 500.

There’s quite a few rookies you could ditch, but Burgess isn’t playing, if he gets another game he might struggle to hit his BE and is generally crap for SC.

• redherringfc says:

Or instead of Petrucelle, you could look at trading out Clark and bringing in Williams if you can get 480k together.

Hold Butters this week, as he isn’t named, so won’t lose money.

9. Ryan says:

Not many rookie downgrade options coming soon, thinking I might double downgrade this week and save some cash for next week:

Petrucelle > Answerth
    Gibbons > Corbett

OR

Should I just downgrade to Answerth and upgrade another player. Thoughts?

• Tim Martin says:

Thinking the double downgrade to for the same reason, just not sure if I downgrade libba or a rookie, if not libba this week, then definitely next week unless he rips out a big score.

10. Lekdog says:

Twitch stream starting in 5, jump in here and let's talk #supercoach https://www.twitch.tv/lekdoggames

11. NoLanguage96 says:

Community, any wise heads wanna comment here would be forever grateful!

LDU > Answerth
    Petrucelle > Kelly

Leaves me with 19 trades/$50k and this team…

B – Sicily, Laird, Williams, Smith, Salem, Duursma (Ridley, Lockhart)
    M – Cripps, Neale, Macrae, Oliver, Crouch, Libba, STack, Atkins (Answerth, Hayes, Scott)
    R – Gawn, Goldy (Sweet)
    F – Danger, Heeney, Kelly, Marshall, Moore, Drew (Baker, Setterfield)

Any other options or should I wait to get Kelly and hold the trade if LDU is named?

• redherringfc says:

Go for it.

Although (and I’m serious about this unless you’re in a league with me) go Hawkins instead of Kelly. next 2 forward spots go to Boak and Cameron. Then Marshall to Kelly if the need arises.

• NoLanguage96 says:

Hawkins eh? Interesting, I normally shy away from KPPs but he's getting silver service could be a good idea

• Michael James says:

19 trades? R.I.P

• NoLanguage96 says:

Why? 7 upgrades to get to full premo (6 if Marshall is a keeper).
        As long as I've got 10 for correctives/injuries I don't really see how thats an issue..

• Russty_ says:

Stick to your gameplan mate, Team's pretty solid, you'll need to hold off on the trading though for some weeks and hopefully during that time, you're winning games and doing ok in rankings, depending on what you play for.

• NoLanguage96 says:

Thanks Rust. Yeah I'm only playing for leagues so not too fussed about using trades to get to where I need to be. Ranked about 14k atm so not ideal but it's a long season! How many trades you got in the kitty?

• Russty_ says:

About the same as you mate…hahah, I need to be careful too.

• JohnDJ59 says:

I used up six trades in R2-R4 on corrective trades to get my team to where it should have been at the start, since then I have been using them for replacing three injured players and downgrading rookies I didn't want, to ones on the bubble. I am now happy with where my team is at and will be sitting on my hands for at least three weeks as far as trading goes, after using two trades most weeks up to now.

• alex sabes says:

i'm still new so don't judge me I only have 17 left

12. Chris_Judd says:

Do I trade Libba to Macrae, Bont, J. Kelly or Treloar? Or perhaps a Gaff or Cunnington?

13. dontblushbaby says:

Anyone considering trading Danger for Boak if you don't have him ,then trading back in Danger at a reduced price ?

• JohnDJ59 says:

If you can't get him with rookie upgrades and still have over 20 trades left, then yes.

• KSinny says:

I did the same thing with Whitfield last week as I had a feeling he'd miss more than 1 week. So yeh go for it if u think Danger will miss more than a week.

14. Tommo09 says:

Is Corbett worth the trade? Or do I hold in case Hately is a late in? I will also get Answerth in

• nankthetank says:

Don't hold Hately thats just asking for trouble. If you have your heart set on him then you're much better off making a mid round trade with say constable if he's a late(ish) in. Otherwise you risk just wasting a trade

15. Antonio says:

Hey Community,

I’m a bit of a newbie here. It’s my first year joining a cash league and boy am I struggling. I’m actually 0-5. Is it still possible to make the Top 8? Anyways, I was wondering if you good people could give me some advice on my team. I’d truly appreciate it. I have a lot of rookies and some decent coin. But don’t really know where to start, or what to do next.

Defence: Hurn, Crisp, K.Simpson, Wilkie, Duursma, Clark (Joyce, Lockhart)

Mid: Cripps, Neale, Treleor, Macrae, Fyfe, Constable, Atkins, Ross (Gibbons, Hayes, Hind)

Rucks: Gawn, Grundy

Forward: Dangerfield, McLean, D.Smith, Drew, Petrucelle, Parker (Setterfield, Balta)

I also have $270,000 in my warchest. As you can see I still have Simpson…

Thanks again guys

• nankthetank says:

Good team but forward line is letting you down. I'd almost be trading McLean and Smith for Boak and Caleb Daniel (By my calculations you'll also have 4k to spare!)

• Maverick_ says:

Hi Antonio.
      I’d be going one up one down this week pick up answerth by trading gibbons or Clark you have Parker Petra Clarke gibbons Wilkie all coming to an end of cash generation nothing worse than having 6 cows ready to cull at once and missing fresh cows. Flick kade Simpson still a fortnight away yet so ya losing a premium score each week I’d grab laird whose exceptional value, Sicily or the rolls Royce Lloyd.

16. Jeff says:

Corbett, Moore or Larkey?

Choose in order 1,2,3

• redherringfc says:

Gee, would you like your turd sandwich on white, brown or whole grain?

Having said that, I’m going to bring in Corbett this week, because I need to cull rookies and my alternative to him is Westhoff.

I’d go Corbett, Larkey, Moore.

• RoyWetard says:

Moore #3 (R12 bye) I'm tossing between the other 2 myself. Corbett plays MEL, PTA, GEE, GWS, (NTH, STK in byes) and Larkey plays GEE, SYD, WB, RIC, (GC, GWS in byes.) So depends on which one of these runs you like better.

• Jeff says:

Going Corbett

Thanks for the input

The other trade is butters to Answerth

Next week will have enough cash for Macrae straight in at a nice discount

17. dontblushbaby says:

My take from the Geelong presser an hour ago with Chris Scott is if Danger doesn't play then Constable will, my opinion only

18. Braz says:

Worth going Libba to Fyfe this week or wait another?

19. Jid says:

j Cameron or daniel?

20. 69;0 says:

Thoughts on libba and butters out for fyfe and answerth?

21. KSinny says:

Thoughts on Butters > Answerth and Libba > Fyfe? Leaves me with 22 trades and $192k in the Bank.

22. No idea says:

I'm stunned that Hately, with Whitfield not selected, still isn't even on the extended bench. Don't they rate him internally?

Who do we think has the better security out of Corbett and D. Moore? I'm not convinced about either.

• Russty_ says:

I'm stunned too…with what he's done in his 2 games played, and then to be dropped again, it's enough to make the guy want out when his contract's up.
      So much for Coaches rewarding players for their efforts.

• JohnDJ59 says:

Not the way to treat a good young player, they need to be played in blocks of 3-4 games, not chopped and changed.

• Russty_ says:

Too right John…Coach is sending the wrong message to a young guy who's done everything right, he's not doing his credibility any favours.

• No idea says:

There's a spot in the midfield waiting for him at Hawthorn. We'll look after you young fella.

23. Lazza says:

Anyone else having trouble accessing the podcast thread… I’m getting the 403 msg – access forbidden, yet I can access all other threads

24. Trades says:

Goldstein and scrimshaw out, Laird and T.McDonald in. O’brien r2. Potential 2 keepers for the price of 1.
    Or
    Goldstein and Gibbons out, Neale and Corbett in.
    Or
    Scrimshaw to Laird Petrucelle to Corbett.

• Russty_ says:

I wouldn't bring T-Mac in under any circumstances…better off with Westhoff.
      Wouldn't trade out Goldy either…
      Maybe do nothing this week?…and see how Scrimshaw and Petrucelle go.

• Trades says:

Already have Westhoff, got him in last week. It’s just a shame having good scoring from o’brien Stuck on the bench when I could elevate a rookie to a premium while getting similar R2 score.

25. Adam says:

Thoughts Guys
    Traded Gibbons and Libba Out
    In cane Anseworth and Fyfe
    Now Mummy’s out do I keep trades as is
    Or re do
    Help !!!!

26. PocketDog says:

Is Rowan Marshall a legit fwd option? I’ve seen next to nothing of the saints this year and don’t want to be fooled by the 100 average at a low price!

27. SJ34 says:

At a loss what to do now especially with mummy out (opponent this week has him too). 22k in the bank. Double downgrade? Answerth for Clark?

Whitfield, Sicily, Smith, more, Hore, Duursma, Scrimshaw, Clark

Cripps, Mcrae, O’Meara, Rockliff, B Crouch, drew, Walsh, Butters, gibbons, setterfield, Hayes

Gawn, Mumford, fort

Boak, danger, Heeney, Kelly, worpel, Greene, Petrucelle, Balta

28. Hawks says:

Anyone else have there end game team selected? This being the team you want before the byes (full premo).

Mine is (CAPS are still to obtain through trades)

Lloyd, Hurn, Whitfield, Rich, Williams, LAIRD

Cripps, Neale, Fyfe, Coniglio, Bont, Walsh, MACRAE, J.KELLY

Grundy, Gawn

Dangerfield, Heeney, Laird, BOAK, BILLINGS, MUNDY

6 upgrades to do, Macrae will be my target next week.

Still got rookies that are making cash each week – Hore, Duursma, Joyce, Drew Ross, Hately, Answerth, Moore, Parker, Petro, Parker

Appreciate your thoughts.

29. Sam says:

Moore or Corbett?

Seems like Moore has a higher ceiling.

30. MAD MIKE says:

CRAZY OR GENIUS???

OUT ROZEE AND WILEM DREW

IN WESTHOFF AND DARLING

HIGH RISK, BUT SICK OF DOING THE MAINSTREAM MOVES THE REST OF THE PEANUT GALLERY DOES. THOUGHTS COMMUNITY???

31. FearTheBeard says:

Westhoff or Daniels? Or hold a week for a decision?

32. Daniel says:

Who should I loophole with Atkins out of will setterfield or will Hayes, both play at the exact same time so I need to choose one over the other?

• silversovereign says:

Setterfield had 24 touches in the 2s last week but he hasn’t shown good form in the afl for the blues yet. Maybe this is the week???

33. redgumwon says:

Hey Derek Ijust after your view. I started with Brayshaw but he just hasn't lived up to last year. Do you think it's time to trade him to Fyfe?

• Derek says:

Never been a big fan of Brayshaw, not enough to think he is top 8. he has been the most effected this year by Viney. Brayshaw is out on the wing screaming for it, but its just not getting to him, even when Viney was out last week, melbourne had Harmes in the guts instead of Brayshaw.

they do have Suns this week, but after that it is a tough run to the byes

at this time of the year you need to be only looking at getting rid of rookies, and the Brayshaws are the luxury upgrades during or after the byes, so i think he gets another week against the SUNS.

• redgumwon says:

Thanks Derek that's good food for thought. Looks like Welsh gets the boot for Fyfe

• redgumwon says:

Walsh

• Derek says:

i traded out Walsh last week. he has done well but he had to go. Carlton's run is looking tough and Walsh might run out of steam

• redgumwon says:

Agree Walsh looks like he may need a rest shortly but in saying that he's still been scoring well for a rookie. In fact better than some
              established player like Brayshaw

34. Fearthebeard says:

Daniels
    Or Mundy or hold for now?

• Derek says:

Daniels will have both Suckling and JJ in the team for the first time this year, will be interesting to see how they all work together.

Mundy will have Blakely in the team very soon, feel Mundy's TOG will drop when that happens.

• FearTheBeard says:

Thanks Derek.

I have Danger, Kelly, Marshall & Boak with Moore in the forward line. Who should I look at? Cameron? Daniels? Hawkins? Mundy? Heeney? Dunkley?

Dunkley & Heeney are scaring me with many spuds scores. Cameron & Hawkins can go big but can also stink it up?

Which is why I was looking at Daniels & Mundy?

35. shane says:

hey guys
    need some SC advice
    wanted to trade lycett for either reily o'obrien or the HOFF in a RUC position
    its saying jacobs is still sidelined for 2-3 weels
    will he automatically slot back into the side ,and will o'brien get dropped
    thoughts

• Derek says:

i don't think anyone knows the answer to that. ROB has been doing very well, but you would think jacobs would get a crack as well, maybe they go both. your guess is as good as mine.

• Russty_ says:

Depends on if ROB can play forward Shane…reckon if and when Jacobs is fit he comes straight back in, maybe after a few Sanfl games, could still be 5 weeks.
      Maybe by then you will have already moved ROB on to either Grundy or a premo fwd..if you get him, I'd get the Hoff, you've missed most of ROB's cash generation now.

36. FearTheBeard says:

Can't decide and in a real rush to head out for a mates event.

Daniels, Mundy, Heeney or HOLD of any for the week?

37. alex sabes says:

i don't know who to put in in my back and mid trade fyfe and williamson or lloyd or lockhart this is my team

back laird smith williams hore duursma ( simpson young)
    mid neale cripps macrea bont sloane walsh stack hayes ( gibbons scott hately)
    ruck grundy gawn (clark)
    forward danger dalhause lynch(rich) daniels drew setterfield ( parker balta)

please help