This won’t be the sexiest team reveal on the site this week. It’s a fairly “safe” team, in which I’ve picked exposed AFL form over JLT only form, which has removed the prospect of picking a lot of the more tempting $250K-$300K mid-priced options that came up during the pre-season games. This has resulted in picking more expensive options, but there are still a few “growth” players in here, which are slightly cheaper that ultra premo selections that I feel will improve upon some very promising scores they produced in 2018 and move up to the top 15% of their line.

This is my team. I hope you like it.

Defence

Pretty standard stuff here. Rory Laird is a gun, Kade Simpson is a gun and despite the lack of long sleeves he displayed during the JLT series I’m still backing him in to have a quality year. Harris Andrews displayed some excellent form last year, his Round 4-12 average sat at 106.6 SCPoints, unfortunately he was hurt in Round 14 and took a few weeks to get back up and running again, but ended the year with 3 scores of 91, 96 and 91. Any average of 95+ has you on track for a top 5 finish in defence, taking out his injury game in Round 14 where he scored 22 puts his average for 2018 @ 92.3. I think that presents quality value for his price. It isn’t going to take a huge leap from him to become a top scoring defender for 2019. Andrews is an example of a growth player I talked about in the intro.

The rest are rookies and like all rookies are dependent on Round 1 selection. Jack Scrimshaw and Jordan Clark looked really good during the JLT, as did Xavier Duursma at times, so I’m feeling OK with their selections to round out my back 6.

Midfield

Jack Macrae and Patrick Cripps will be in most every side, which is understandable. Nathan Fyfe is life, he didn’t play JLT, I don’t care, he’s one of the best in the league and can still produce despite that. Only in 22% of teams at the moment, which is way under owned for his talent level, hopefully that works in my favour early in the year. Angus Brayshaw looked really good in the 2nd half of last year, if he can produce what he did over the last third of 2018 over the entire year he’s a very good chance to be a top 10 midfielder for 2019.

Brad Crouch is under-priced for what he can produce, I know everyone will throw in the injuries, which is a legit concern, but the Crows brought in Steve Saunders this year who any North Melbourne fan knows is excellent at injury prevention, so the hope is his work + the groin surgery last year along with all the work he’s done over the pre-season gets him in career best shape. If it wasn’t for Saunders coming aboard I’m not sure I’d be making this selection and would probably go with Matt Crouch instead, but I have some real (some will say biased and/or hopeful) confidence in him this year. Picking a slightly cheaper Crouch also allows me to pump a bit more cash into my ruck line for a certain selection.

I wasn’t super gung-ho on Sam Walsh due to his price, so he’s in dependent on the Round 1 rookies being named, but on the small sample size of the JLT games he looks to be the best of the bunch available. Zak Butters was fantastic in the JLT, as was Charlie Constable, Bailey Scott and Tom Atkins, so they’re all in for now. I really liked Jackson Hately in the SANFL last year, he played senior football, got into the guts with the grown-ups and handled it well, but also pushed into the forward pocket and spent some time there, which I think helps his AFL chances a bit more since he isn’t likely to be a full-time mid at AFL level yet.

Ruck

Brodie Grundy and Max Gawn. It’s a HUGE investment initially, but you’re paying for the best of the best. They’re both a clear tier above the likes of Goldstein and Martin, so I think they’re worth the cash. Reilly O’Brien is likely to get games at some point in the year, so I’ve selected him here in the hopes of some cash generation. Having Grundy, Gawn, Danger, Fyfe, Cripps and Macrae gives me enough Captain options that I’m willing to go without the loophole option here.

Forward

Can’t go past Patrick Dangerfield and I think Isaac Heeney is going to take his game up another notch in 2019.  As much as I hate to admit it, Robbie Gray is one of my favourite players to watch and his ability to go into the midfield and rack up stats as well as kick goals up forward makes him one of the best options for the forward line. Will Setterfield, Willem Drew and Jack Petruccelle looked like the best forward line options to come through the JLT. Chris Burgess is going to be a total rollercoaster of a selection and Noah Balta is still a question mark at this stage as I’m not sure if he gets up for Round 1.

So that’s my team. I’m pretty happy with how it’s turned out and don’t think it’ll be tinkered with at all between now and Round 1, apart from my rookie selections of course.

Categories: Supercoach

Ryan · 18/03/2019 at 12:34

What’s your reason for not having Zac Williams, everyone has talked him up to be a lock and I love how you went against the grain

BarronVonCrow · 18/03/2019 at 12:43

Couldn't afford him at D4 and am too in love with my other 3 selections!

I haven't completely ruled him out yet, if the worst comes to the worst and someone like Scrimshaw isn't named then to free up cash for an upgrade (to like Ridley or Moore) I can downgrade Simpson to Williams. Not my preferred choice, but the option that is there for me.

Bossarello14 · 18/03/2019 at 16:07

No Smith either?

Hardy · 21/03/2019 at 22:22

join 182223

Northerner · 18/03/2019 at 12:35

I like the Andrews selection. I also am a fan of Hately who has not been shown much love from coaches to this point. It’s between Andrews and Gibbons v Mills and Hately as my final decision. I’m leaning toward the latter if Mills is named on ball on team sheet.

BarronVonCrow · 18/03/2019 at 12:46

Hately is like all rookies and we need to see them named, but seeing him in the SANFL last year sold him for me.

I'm not huge on Gibbons potential this year, so any scenario where you don't pick him would be my preference.

Micky Donovan · 18/03/2019 at 13:20

I liked Andrews as well until his coach mentioned he might be playing both forward and back. C ya Andrews

Vinny · 18/03/2019 at 12:38

Hey fellas!
Love your team Barron, especially the Robbie Gray pick. I think being in only 9% of team atm is a huge POD.

Need some advice on a quick change.

Goldstein and B. Crouch
OR
Grundy and Libba

I originally had the first option as i am not sold on Libba and would rather the enormous potential that I believe the older crouch brother has. Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

BarronVonCrow · 18/03/2019 at 12:47

Cheers Vinny

If you think Grundy can duplicate his 2018 season I think you need to go for him. Always take a sacrifice to nab a player at his cost unfortunately.

League · 18/03/2019 at 12:40

Hi,

I have a few spots left in my league, it was a top 100 league last year and looking to do that again this year. League code: 834957

Questy · 18/03/2019 at 12:48

Mills willams and b Crouch or collins lloyd and matt crouch

BarronVonCrow · 18/03/2019 at 13:21

If you think the first 3 are keepers then that's your go. 3 vs 2.

Vinnie · 18/03/2019 at 12:52

Might be an insignificant pick, but you could get more chances of cash generation with Zack Clarke from Essendon on the bench. With big Joey still down, I can see him getting games rucking and drifting forward as a big target. I also don't think Bellchambers has played a full season at Essendon throughout his career. In predicting Clarke will generate $150K. Food for thought anyway

Hibbo · 18/03/2019 at 13:06

Baron. I haven’t heard much out of the Suns camp about Anthony Miles. Terribly stiff not to be able to break into the Tigers lineup on the reg the last 2 years and he’s a contested ball machine with excellent efficiency. Is no one considering him?

BarronVonCrow · 18/03/2019 at 13:21

He didn't exactly set the world on-fire during the JLT matches, outside the stoppages he doesn't look like the type to impact a game. He averaged 6.5 clearances for the two games, but only 17.5 disposals. Will need bigger disposal numbers than that to be worth a selection and with Libba a cheaper option or Crouch slightly more it's not a huge surprise they're more popular options.

TRIGGA_HAPPY · 18/03/2019 at 13:39

Nice one BVC.
Being a crow man how much did it pain you to pump up the tyres of gray and the two port rooks?

At the moment my team has a distinctive crow flavour with both crouches and smith getting a gig.

Is Smith back in town this year?

Ballsy going 3 rook deep in the fwd line.
I had a look but appeared two skinny for thid little black duck.

So going with a bitza team this year of premos and bargains. 🤣

BarronVonCrow · 18/03/2019 at 14:54

I can pump up Gray OK, except when he's playing the Crows or course!

Smith just doesn't have the history for me to pick him and I'm not sold on the rule changes being worth an extra 20-25 points a game. I could be wrong there, but people at least do have a reason for grabbing him, so I can't fault it even if I disagree.

Krups · 18/03/2019 at 14:19

Collins from the suns in the backline no good? Not seeing him picked.

BarronVonCrow · 18/03/2019 at 14:52

Probably due to mid 60's scores and being slightly more expensive than other options. Still not the worst pick around

Lazza · 19/03/2019 at 20:58

Mid 60s gives you a $160+k return @ $189k

PizzaSafety · 18/03/2019 at 14:26

Nice team Barron.

I think your defence is a little bit too expensive and I’d personally go Simpson to Williams to free up some cash. Simpson could be a great pick again but age is becoming more of an issue.

Can’t fault any of the midfield or forward picks but I feel like you could free up cash for one more player?

BarronVonCrow · 18/03/2019 at 14:51

That's a fair assesment and still a possibility given Scrimshaw looks iffy at the moment. If I am required to downgrade then Simpson to Williams is the obvious target.

Dingo · 18/03/2019 at 14:50

Really can't settle on my F3. Menagola Smith, TKelly or Mundy? Any advice. At the moment I have settled on TKelly

Also my M5 Fyfe, JKelly or Yeo. I am favouring Yeo for price, durability and POD.

Northerner · 18/03/2019 at 16:56

I’m a big fan of Yeo. Last year was his first year as a full time midfielder other than the 27 he dropped in the early rounds when he went back on a lock down role for that game. He’s only going to get better and has a high ceiling. I can’t fit him in as I’ve chosen Neale who I just think has less players around him to share points with.

Defying_Madness · 18/03/2019 at 15:03

Hey community,
A very late return to me for Supercoach and I have a lot to catch up on in the next couple days, just wondering if any of the leagues I was in last year are running again and if they have any spots for me open. Appreciate any other invites to highly competitive leagues as well.
Cheers community I guess I am going to go get started on my team. Great to be back

Derek · 18/03/2019 at 15:27

good to see you back DM.

i noticed the Tophawks Guns and Rookies league only has 17 teams.

Defying_Madness · 19/03/2019 at 02:43

Cheers Derek, it's great to be back for another year of supercoach. Any way I could contact Tophawk to possibly get the league code?

Patch · 18/03/2019 at 15:24

When I saw the Brisbame colours at D3 I was prepared for the worst, but you haven't let me down. Rock solid, my man.God I wish I could be confident in an F3. Will Robbie not spend stints forward this year?

COREYSC · 18/03/2019 at 16:27

I’ve never considered him by now with Ollie Wines Out he could be an option but when Ollie Wines returns I assume he’ll return to the fowardline

PizzaSafety · 18/03/2019 at 18:01

Seems to me like Boak is going to play more mid time and they have a couple of younger players who could see more time there this year. He'll still get mid time but not enough for him to go 100+, still a solid option as he averaged 90 after being moved forward last year without the injury affected game and there's always the chance he sees more mid time, meaning he will go 90-100

Clarky · 18/03/2019 at 15:26

1. Hurn, Neale and Moore

or

2. Smith, Macrae and Greene

Northerner · 18/03/2019 at 16:57

First group easily for mine. 2 keepers.

ChunguS · 18/03/2019 at 22:01

Smith Neale and Moore! 😉

TommyC99 · 18/03/2019 at 15:28

Nice team BVC. The andrews pick is interesting and was on my radar before he said in an interview he will spend a bit of time forward.

I like Gray a lot but feel like he will inevitably throw in a spud score and will be able to get him real cheap

BarronVonCrow · 19/03/2019 at 19:26

They say that, but I don't always believe it. Will have to wait and see though!

Bobby · 18/03/2019 at 15:48

Damn Barron, I didn’t even consider Brayshaw as a pick up until now. I’m not conflicted as to wether to go M Crouch or Brayshaw… Keep in mind that I already have taranto currently at M5 and that Crouch or Brayshaw would be my M4

Bobby · 18/03/2019 at 15:49

^now conflicted

BarronVonCrow · 19/03/2019 at 19:27

I don't think you can go wrong really. At the very least with Crouch you have a ceiling you know he can reach which makes mim a good pick.

COREYSC · 18/03/2019 at 15:50

Is Collins worth the extra price tag or opting for a Burgess 123k type a more wise selection

oldmategav · 18/03/2019 at 18:11

I like the flexibility of Burgess, especially if you have Darcy Moore down the other end

Will · 18/03/2019 at 16:18

Who averages more this year?
Grundy or Macrae ?

oldmategav · 18/03/2019 at 18:10

this is tough, im going Grundy just but i really hope macrae as hes more unique!

KSinny · 18/03/2019 at 16:35

Thoughts on my team everyone? Not sure about Moore at f4 .

DEF: Whitfield, Williams, Smith, Collins, Scrimshaw, Clark (Burgess, Hore)

MID: Macrae, Cripps, Cogs, Dusty, M. Crouch, Libba, Walsh,Duursma (Constable, Scott, Atkins)

RUC: Grundy, Gawn (Schlensog)

FWD: Danger, Heeney, Kelly , Moore, Setterfield, Drew (Petruccelle, Parker)

Fisherdann · 18/03/2019 at 16:37

Nice team Barron. Thoughts on my team please community?

R. Laird, Z. Williams, B. Smith ( C. Burgess )
S. Collins, J. Clark ,X. Duursma ( M. Hore )

J. Macrae, P. Cripps, C. Oliver ( B. Scott )
L. Neale, M. Crouch, T. Liberatore ( T. Atkins )
S. Walsh, Z. Butters ( M. Gibbons )

B. Grundy, Gawn ( P. Bines )

P. Dangerfield, I. Heeney, T. Greene ( W. Drew )
D. Moore, W. Setterfield, J. Petruccelle ( M. Parker )

Surferboi · 19/03/2019 at 08:00

Looks like you’ve filtered for highest % owned and started hitting the add button

BarronVonCrow · 19/03/2019 at 19:28

All looks good to me!

SC League · 18/03/2019 at 17:21

Hi,

I have a few spots left in my league, it was a top 50 league last year and looking to do that again this year. League code: 642215

Valens_FC · 18/03/2019 at 21:13

Hi mate have joined if that’s ok. Finished inside 1500 last year so hopefully won’t drag league down.

Daz · 18/03/2019 at 17:38

goldstein, green and cousins vs grundy, moore, and butters.

Tiger · 18/03/2019 at 20:28

Grundy, Moore, butters

oldmategav · 18/03/2019 at 18:08

Rate the Kade simpson pick! Will have a hell of year the kick out rule is only going to boost his scores.

BarronVonCrow · 19/03/2019 at 19:28

Fingers crossed! Though whether he's there by tomorrow or not remains to be seen.

Flaccid Jaff · 18/03/2019 at 19:34

Anyone keen on filling the last spot in our draft league? 1 left.
But it starts at 8pm tonight.
Code is 311172

GOAT___23 · 18/03/2019 at 20:28

Witherden, Oliver, Walsh, Goldstein OR Scrimshaw, Macrae, Libba, Gawn

oldmategav · 18/03/2019 at 21:24

option 2 for sure!

Tiger · 18/03/2019 at 20:36

Just food for thought. The number of teams I’m seeing now with Grundy-Gawn combination. It’s a lot of coin to spend with no backup ruckman.

Stephen · 18/03/2019 at 20:54

Someone please convince me that I should select Grundy over Goldstein.

Goldstein Averaged 111 last year from round 9 onwards, according to MattyBs team picker he had one of the best SC to TOG(85%) ratios with 160.4 and Goldy has played 20+ games in 8 of his last 9 seasons.

Grundy is one of the best, if not the best ruckman in the comp, but the interrupted preseason has me scared. I took Kreuzer last year (Cox curse) and that ultimately ruined me for the rest of the season.

Saving 170k could be crutial.

Thoughts community?

silkyboy · 18/03/2019 at 21:07

i rate goldstein and the extra 170k which can be used somewhere else

oldmategav · 19/03/2019 at 19:13

set and forget the rucks, grundy and gawn!!!!

Blueth · 20/03/2019 at 13:21

So many people have Grundy and a player at the price has to perform from the get go to maintain his price.
    He has a soft draw for the first 6 rounds but he didnt look 100% to me in the PS.
    If you've got other C options i reckon wait til he's price drops

sicily=King · 18/03/2019 at 21:06

could someone please give me some advice on my overall team.

unsure on Gray and i may be going a little thin in the backline. cheers brothers x

DEF: Lloyd, Williams, Smith, Scrimshaw, Clark, Duursma [hore, burgess]

MID: Cripps, Oliver, Neale, Coniglio, M Crouch, Walsh, COnstable, Scott [Hind, Atkins, Gibbons]

RUC: Gawn, Grundy [Bines]

FWD: Danger, Heeney, Gray, T Kelly, Setterfield, Petrecelle [Drew, Parker]

Northerner · 18/03/2019 at 21:26

Nice team. Your risk is Smith coupled with your reliance on your defensive rookies. Although you do have some outs there with Moore and Ridley if Smith goes down and a D rookie gets dropped – so at worst cost of 2 trades. Solid mids and a very strong forward line. I’d wish you luck, but Sicily, really?!

Nick · 18/03/2019 at 22:00

Am l crazy not to start with Heeney? Danger Kelly Billings Morre Settlefiled and Drew

oldmategav · 19/03/2019 at 19:12

im in the same boat, at this stage leaving heeney out

Nick · 18/03/2019 at 22:36

Hi community,
If you had to pick which one would you go for
1. Lloyd laird Ridley
2. Whitfield Simpson Smith

Sharkmove_King · 18/03/2019 at 22:44

2 definitely

DavidC · 20/03/2019 at 07:58

1 for me. Not falling for the Smith hype.

Jeffrey · 18/03/2019 at 23:07

Balta to S. Parker and your done

Jeffrey · 18/03/2019 at 23:09

M. Parker

COREYSC · 18/03/2019 at 23:11

OPTION 1
Hold Hurn and keeping Fowardline Danger, Heeney, T.Kelly leaving 16K in the bank

Or

OPTION 2
Downgrade Hurn to Burgess (D4 Clark) upgrading Balta to Greene (F4) leaving 175K in the bank

Spifflicator · 19/03/2019 at 10:56

Option 1 – As a Giants fan i'm not sure how much game time Greene will get early after the last 16 months of injury and rehab, and in fact I think he will be carefully managed throughout the year.

DavidC · 20/03/2019 at 07:57

Greene is not worth the risk.

Dylan · 19/03/2019 at 13:05

DEF: Laird, Williams, Smith, Collins, Clark, Duursma (Scrimshaw, Hore)
MID: Cripps, Fyfe, Oliver, Neale, Dusty, Walsh, Butters, Constable (Drew, Atkins, Scott)
RUC: Gawn, Goldy (Bines)
FWD: Dangerfield, Heeney, Gray, Greene, Moore, Setterfield (Parker, Burgess)

$100 in the bank, stacking the forward line as I don't feel safe investing in multiple starting rookies. Any advice as to how I can improve this team or if I have missed a good rookie?

Blueth · 20/03/2019 at 13:19

Whats the reasoning behind no Gibbons BVC?

Barron Von Crow · 20/03/2019 at 19:44

Only gonna score in the low 40's/50's, so don't want the headache of minimal cash generation

Dylan · 20/03/2019 at 20:17

Playing for league wins rather than overall, who is the best choice out of Robbie Gray, Toby McLean, Justin Westhoff or Sam Menegola?

WinnerRGrinners · 20/03/2019 at 23:10

OK Barron and Community
Please comment I have spent every £ team value £10,000,000

DEF : R.Laird, Z.Williams, B.Smith, S.Collins, JScrimshaw, J.Clarke ( Duursma Hore)
MID Macrae, Cripps, Oliver, Cogiglio, M,Crouch, Walsh, Hately, Constable ( Cousins, Butters, Gibbons)
RUC Grundy , Gawn ( Z Clarke)
FOR Danger, Heeney, T.McLean Setterfield , Burgess Petruccelle ( Balta MParker)

Well what do you think???????
I am having second thoughts on F3- McLean R3- Clarke F7 -Balta

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Good luck this year everbody!!

WinnerRGrinners · 20/03/2019 at 23:11

Oh Just to mension ,i am living in the UK , so dont worry about the £££ sign , I meant $$$

Nathan · 21/03/2019 at 01:59

DEF: Whitfield, Andrews, Mills, Smith, Clark, Duursma (Scrimshaw, Hore)
MID: Treloar, Coniglio, Yeo, Parker, M.Crouch, Walsh, Constable, Butters (Hately, Bewley, Scott)
RUC: Goldstein, Witts (Z.Clarke)
FWD: D.Smith, Dunkley, Walters, Higgins, Burgess, Petrucelle (Settlefield, Parker)

Wanted to go with something different. Cheap team that can perform also. $320k in the bank to start.