COLLINGWOOD v BULLDOGS: Supercoach Match Report

Filed in Collingwood 2018, Supercoach 2018, Western Bulldogs 2018 by on 10/03/2018 • views: 15644

Patch Face

I’ll keep this short and sweet as I’ve got to cover the Port v Adelaide game as well, but WE HAVE A DEFENSIVE ROOKIE. Lock Sam Murray into your sides as soon as possible.

The Pies looked awful for a quarter and a half before the Dogs sort of fell asleep and let Collingwood run over the top of them in the second half.

Mason Cox also announced he could be not terrible at footy? Maybe? I dunno, he was on a second-gamer who also wasn’t a key position defender.

I dunno. This game provided more questions than answers for me, and I really don’t like that.

Collingwood 16.17.113 def Western Bulldogs 12.8.80

Notable absentees – Pies: T.Broomhead, C.Mayne, A.Oxley, F.Appleby, J.Daicos, J. Elliot, D. Wells

Notable absentees – Doggies: S.Biggs, C.Daniel, L.Picken, T. Boyd, T. English

Injuries: Jordan Roughead (groin), Scott Pendlebury (ankle)

COLLINGWOOD

Steele Sidebottom ($527,500 MID) – 124SC

Showed why he’s the reigning best and fairest winner down at Magpie land. Was the only Collingwood player who looked any good in the first quarter, and looked like he was a firsts player having a run around in the threes. Absolute class above the rest in terms of ball use. Snapped a very good goal late in the last.

Had a very good JLT1 as well… anyone braver than me willing to jump on?

Adam Treloar ($557,600 MID) – 110SC

Was incredibly busy early – not with possessions but with tackles. Had SIX in the first ten minutes and 10 at half time. Didn’t use the ball overly well but he got a lot of it. Was at the bottom of the pack and picked up a lot of contested possessions.

Will be a hell of a lot better than he was last year. Will that be good enough to start him in our sides? Not for me.

Scott Pendlebury ($586,500 MID) – 61SC.

Legend of the Supercoach Hall of Fame. Flew under the radar for much of today as he spent much of the game on the bench with only 50 per cent time on ground and was havinig a shower at the start of the fourth quarter. Look to just be going through the motions in today’s game. Had ice on his ankle but who doesn’t these days? You could do far worse than picking him.

Taylor Adams ($591,000 MID) – 71SC

He’s the most expensive player on Collingwood’s list from a Supercoach perspecticve. Didn’t do much to justify his starting price in a year when he’s in the same price bracket as Crouch, Merrett, Sloane and FYFE. Call me when you’re a DPP again, champ.

Sam Murray ($123,900 DEF) – 103SC

Looks to be locked into the Pies defence. Fox commentators were raving about how effective his disposal was – we didn’t see a huge amount of that today as he’s still workinig his way into the top level. However, what we did see was him getting into good areas, his hands on the ball and some of the accurate possessions he did have were very, very nice.

Looks to be a crucial part of the new Pies defence, and he’s going to be a crucial part of ours as well. Had 24 touches with 18 kicks and nine marks. Lock him into your backline.

Jeremy Howe ($517,600 DEF) – 88SC

Took two absolute hangers and several other impressive grabs in a normal day of the office for the man who was hilariously robbed of Mark of the Year in 2017 (#DANIHERRRRR). Carried on from exactly where he left off last year and I’d wager he’ll have a very similar season to the one he did last year as well.

I’ll be picking him up cheaper during the season but I can’t see why he wouldn’t be a top ten defender.

Jaidyn Stephenson ($180,300 FWD) – 52SC

Kicked a miracle bouncing tumbling goal from outside 50 after a Warne-esque leg break in the fourth. Looks like he’ll play, but as a forward rookie in a Collingwood team that will struggle at times he won’t make a huge amount of cash at his elevated price. We’ll likely have to start him anyway.

Brodie Grundy  ($527,500 RUC) – 66SC

Played reasonably well but was overshadowed in both a literal and metaphorical sense by Mason Cox. Was sharing the ruck load with the big Texan taking ruck contests forward of centre and that’s just one of the biggest no-nos when I’m hunting for a ruckman. If he’s not solo rucking – and based on today he won’t be – I’m not interested.

Also cleaned up Tory Dickson going for the ball. Not sure he gets suspended.

Mason Cox ($304,800 FWD/RUC) – 146SC

What? Had horrendous delivery early and ended up with four snags and a bunch of hitouts and contested marks. I love the guy’s attitude and enthusiasm but absolutely not in Supercoach. No.

Darcy Moore (338,000 FWD) – 50SC

Played as the loose man back today and looked a splitting image of his father, according to everyone who is old. As someone who isn’t old, I googled Peter Moore and yeah, I can see that. Will be a really important part of Collingwood’s backline this year. Will have big games but not enough to justify picking him.

Tom Langdon ($451,300 DEF) – 83SC

Heard his name mentioned quite a few times and had quite a decent game. Will have a solid year but don’t think he’ll breakout based on today’s performance. Will average about 85 for mine.

Callum Brown ($224,300 FWD) – 75SC

Looked good. Won’t look this good normally. No.

Brody Mihocek ($102,400 DEF) – 35SC

Is extremely cheap. Can’t imagine he’ll play round one, and if he does I wouldn’t expect him to rack up big numbers. Only seven touches in Moe.

A few other blokes on the fringe of watchlists scratched themselves off including Jack Crisp, Josh Thomas and Brayden Maynard, who did some nice things but not enough of them to grab my attention. Travis Varcoe looked good for 76SC but will be injured by the time this is posted.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Dominated the first quarter and then dropped off the face of the earth as the Pies ran over the top of them.

Jack Macrae ($587,800 MID) – 83SC

At the top of my watchlist after I did a preseason article on him as a sneaky point of difference. Had 113 in JLT1 but didn’t replicate it this week. Started in the middle, played through the middle but didn’t get a whole lot of points from his 27 touches. Only the one tackle is a worry. I’ll need to sleep on it, but I’m not liking the way he’s making me reconsider his selection.

Toby McLean ($470,200 FWD/MID) – 91SC

Hello there, my F2. Surprised he only finished with the 91. Had 26 touches at 84 per cent disposal efficiency. Reckon that score goes up during the season.

Tom Liberatore ($434,600 MID) – 125SC

Sandy Roberts said he looked ready to “eat a footy” early on in the piece and I’m not quite sure what he meant. I can’t imagine a man with Libba’s haircut using a knife and fork. Can you rip into a footy with your teeth? Do you pop it first? Do you cook it? Footy stew? The possibilities are endless.

What’s also endless are the questions around Libba in Supercoach. He looked goooooooooood. Like 2014 good. Like Vietnam good. In and under with a huge 16 contested possessions. If you’re considering Redden, consider this bloke instead.

The Bont ($577,800 MID) – 105SC

Gosh he’s good. Looks very good, especially when the Dogs are on song. I don’t know if he stays good all season or if he pushes forward (which he did at times today). Only the 20 touches to go with his three goals. Based on that I’d probably give him a miss – the 20 disposal games without goals will be a problem.

Luke Dahlhaus ($498,500 FWD/MID) – 90SC

Started forward and pushed up the ground as a higher forward flanker/winger. I’d scratched him off my list but he’s back on now. Had 20 possessions and seven of them were contested.

Aaron Naughton ($166,800 DEF) – 75SC

Played on Mason Cox and was given a bit of a towelling. However, when he was able to break free of the lumbering Texan he did some very nice things. Had 13 touches. I’d take him over Nick Coffield at basically the same price. Will make us some cash.

Billy Gowers ($117,300 FWD) – 29SC

Doesn’t get a game round one.

Jason Johanissen ($450,800 DEF) – 105SC

The 2016 Norm Smith medallist seemed to have the ball more often than his 21 possessions suggest, although that could just be his hair. Looked really, really nice early running off the half-forward line proving Lek and my assertion that every Dogs player is exactly the same. Still reckon he gets tagged.

Hayden Crozier ($341,400 FWD0 – 75SC

After Damo’s brilliant write-up I kept an eye on him. Was across the half back line and looked good at time. Had 21 touches with 10 of them contested. Currently in my side, but doubt his place to stay there. Wouldn’t expect huge numbers from him and probably prefer a rookie.

The Dogs have a whole bunch of players who are in a middling price range who put up middling scores. Lachie Hunter (59) Lin Jong (86) and Josh Dunkley (73 aren’t really worth looking at too closely. Hunter played on the wing but just didn’t have enough impact for mine. Jackson Trengove also looked very good for 103 points, but also had the whole game to ruck in place of Jordan Roughead who went off early. The Dogs won’t go with him solo so we shouldn’t touch him.

I’ve got to fly to Adelaide to watch the Showdown, what did you think of the game, community?

1. Ben says:

Coniglio or Libba?? Also what do people think about Armitage?

• the guru says:

armo didnt look very fit last match despite his decent score against carltank flip a cin with libba & conigs or get both!!

• Ben says:

you're a wanka mate.
        You didn't answer the question you just dribbled a load of verbal turd$

• Rick Grimes says:

Settle petal. He said he thinks Armo is underdone and l Iikes both others. Reading and comprehension is important.

• joe says:

He did answer the question. Computers should come with breathalysers.

2. hedski says:

Ha ha, notable absentees, "Chris Mayne", ha ha.
    McLean is getting very tempting, Murray probably the only pie to get excited about, got burnt by the Butcher Treloar last year won't be going back there.
    Cheers Patch.

• Patch says:

That's "Future Brownlow medallist Chris Mayne" thank you very much

• Shake_n_Bake_ says:

That is funny! Mayne is there but no Wells or Elliot 😂

• Patch says:

Was in a lot of a rush getting the 'Notable Absentees' up, thanks for the pick up mate!

• Tibor says:

Is Wells under done unfit , not ready and injured? I am truly shocked, Collingwood have been so desperately unlucky with this bloke. Who could have predicted this stuff based on his Kanga career

3. Rhys says:

Current lineup would appreciate some feed back
    Rookies are pretty much just there for now will all change
    Def
    Yeo, Laird, Houli (Mirra)
    Lloyd, O’shea, Doodee (Goddard

Mid
    Dangerfield, Zorko, Fyfe, Cripps
    Coniglio, Armitage, Dow, Davis-Uniacke

(Coffield, Garlett, Cerra)

Ruck
    Jacobs, Gawn
    (Olango)

Fwd
    Heeney, Billings, Smith (spargo)
    Rayner, Higgins, Fritsch (Ryan)

4. Patch says:

Scores are all unscaled as well – they may be off by a few points here or there. Will update them when I've finished the Crows v Port match

5. JohnDJ59 says:

Murray has been on my bench for a few weeks now,looks like he might even get on the playing field after today.My only worry now is who the hell to put in at F5&6.Any suggestions ?

6. Steve says:

Is it possible to have 2 Premos & 4 rookies on field in defence ie, Laird, Hibbard, Naughton, Doedee, S Murray, Finlayson with Mirra & L Murphy on the bench

• Eric_the_Red says:

Yep. I think so. I didn't think so yesterday. I do today. I may not think so tomorrow. Supercoach.

• Shake_n_Bake_ says:

I dont think Mirra will play rd 1.

• paul says:

I like Byrne too.I am waiting for the next game to see if he is consistent 76 first JLT but a very efficient user of the ball.

• Ben says:

yes. you are allowed 8 defenders. 6 on field and two on the bench. there are no restrictions on teams or dollar value. maybe read the rules before you clog up our site with stupid questions

• Rick Grimes says:

Time for bed, benno.

• Steve says:

I know the rules Benny Boy, l am loading up on all positions and running with rookies in defence, will see who wins in the end, good luck!

• Andy says:

I think Ben's medication might have been mixed up. Just let him vent as it keeps those close to him that little bit happier and more relaxed

• Carl says:

Read the comment before giving him a bashing for no reason Ben

• Canny says:

I love how you're thinking outside the box Steve, however I did the exact same thing last year when we thought we had a plethora of def rookies and it absolutely burnt me once we got to a few rounds in. I think you can only have a maximim of 3 on field rookies in your backline this year and even that's a bit of a risk. I'm going in with Kade Simpson at D4 following Hurley, Laird and Hibberd (perhaps over compensating for last years dramas).

Also – Rick Grimes, you've destroyed "Ben" twice in the same comment section tonight. As if you weren't already my hero.

7. Shake_n_Bake_ says:

146 Derek, tempting u more??

8. Nathan says:

How can you dismiss a guy who scored 145 and is only just over 300k plus ruck/fwd.. I’m not saying you pick him but I think it’s worth a conversation… could be a handy backup if a ruck gets a week or two

• Ben says:

It's ok Nathan the same bloke reckons Lycett is the gun ruck from west coast and is the obvious R2 selection. Nobody comes here for advice from the article writers the articles are facetious.

• Rick Grimes says:

You know you dont have to read them, or comment, or continue to breathe if you don't want to…

• Canny says:

Rick Grimes – you're work defending the honour of this thread is more than admirable. As Noop Noop from 'The Vindicators' episode of Rick and Morty season 3 would say:

"Oh Daaamn."

• sc tragic says:

Thinking of naming Rick Grimes D1 !!!

9. BrownlowBoy says:

Bailey Dale 32
    Tory Dickson 29
    Jordan Roughead 27
    Easton Wood 21
    Josh Schache 8

10. Johno says:

Def: Laird, Hibberd, Savage, Naughton, Doedee, Murray (O'Shea, Finlayson)

MId: Danger, Titch, Oliver, Fyfe, Cripps, Brayshaw, Dow, Banfield (Coffield, Kelly, Holman)

Ruck: Gawn, Lycett (Olango)

Fwd: Heeney, Billings, McLean, Smith, Sicily, Fritsch (Keeffe, Ryan)

$62.4K left in the bank.

Thoughts on my squad so far?? I'm still not sure about many of the rookie spots at this stage, especially in the fwd line. Also tossing up on my F5 spot for a guy like Christensen for some spare cash.

11. neil demons delight says:

That's a nice team J Defence is strong and good swing with Brayshaw Finlaysen and Coffield a lot of gonads with Brayshaw Personally I would downgrade either of Billings or Heeney to Petracca and pocket 70 odd k great team GO WELL

12. Finnius says:

Mclean and Crouch or kelly and Walters

• TommyC99 says:

Option 1 by a mile. Im worried Walters may get tagged

• Canny says:

I would actually go option 2. Kelly is uber consistent and is showing no sign of slowing down (neither is Crouch, you could argue – but I still prefer Kelly), and I personally think Walters has more upside.

13. Yoey says:

Thoughts on McLean? been in and out of my team. Out at the moment on the basis that the bulldogs are a team with a lot of even contributors in their side so not sure his scoring will be consistent enough.

• TommyC99 says:

Had a strong finish to last season when getting more midfield time, has slotted into my F3

• Jono says:

McLean is in my team as is Savage for the same reason. Very strong finish last year and has done well in his two game thus far. Hopefully not many pick these two up and and they may even be POD’s. Need to take a risk sometimes in SC like some of us did with Oliver did last year.
        I think McGrath will do ok running through the mid field occasionally. He looks to be a very accomplished player.

• Rick Grimes says:

He's in mine. Think he will improve to 95ave and be a keeper. No real standouts up front, to be fair.

14. TommyC99 says:

Thoughts on Pendles? Trying to convince myself to pick him but he isn't doing me any favours. As a pies man, would love to pick him but haven't got much to work with.
    If i dont go for him, other options include Crouch, Zorko, Merrett or Kelly

• Gopie says:

It's tough to take Tommy but look on the bright side at least you know how Bucks feels…

• Carl says:

Crouch and Kelly especially will outscore Pendles by 20points per game

15. SCdonkey says:

Kreuzer down, Cripps out of my team. Looks like Gawn/Lycett or Gawn/Nank Combo is looking good with Cox up forward for cover.

• GloryDays90 says:

Because Cox had one good game?

• SCdonkey says:

We don't have many options with Rooks up forward and not keen on any inflated rooks. Buckley is looking to have Grundy and Cox in the park this season.

I have gone mid price madness up forward 2 maybe 3 will be a keeper and only 1 rook on field.

• CheekyNandos7 says:

I reckon go Sauce instead mate very risky if Lycett gets hurt R1 as there is no one you can straight swap too but with Sauce there is

• hedski says:

Been at the beach Donks, what happened to Kreuzer?

• Russty_ says:

Hey Hed, he got his Ankle stuck between some dude's leg, not sure how bad it is but they stuck him in cotton wool straight away and took no further part.

• SCdonkey says:

Yeah what Rusty said above. Might not be bad, maybe they're taking percussion on that Ankle. We'll soon find out how bad it is.

• hedski says:

Cheers lads

• hedski says:

Wouldn't be turfing Cripps yet Donk, 111 pre scaling, plenty of contested pill.

16. Kyle says:

Have had grundy as ruck along side gawn all pre season but now i am getting worried. Cox is an absolute spud but destroys grundys scoring when he plays. Not going ryder cause of his bye. Any suggestions community? Between grundy, goldy, sauce or cruiser at this stage.

17. Luke says:

DEF: Laird, Hibberd, Savage, Naughton, Murray, Doedee (Finnalyson, Mirra)

MID: Danger, Titch, Kelly, M.Crouch, Fyfe, Cripps, Brodie, Banfield (Kelly, Barry, Holman

RUC: Gawn, Lycett (Cameron)

FWD: Heeney, Mclean, Sicily, Stephenson, Fritsch (Rioli, Garlett)

Any feedback would be appreciated

18. B-Mac says:

Irrespective of whether you personally would/n’t pick either – if it came down to it:

Libba or J Caddy?