SUPERCOACH 2017 CRUNCH TIME APPROACHES

We’ve covered each line over the past four weeks.
This week the time has come to take some serious stock of where we’re at with team structure.
There is an important issue that underpins much of our discussion this week our friends. A clear and present danger – the threat posed to us by the lack of bankable midfield rookies.
How should we adjust our team structures to cope? Which strategies can we deploy to counter this chilling reality?

This is one you can’t afford to miss!

Important notes;

Order you copy of the magazine here – you’ll have her in 3 business days!

CoachKings play-at-home is cranking again this weekend.. FREE to play and $500 up for grabs every Thursday and Sunday of the JLT CoachKings play-at-home series. Head straight to www.coachkings.com.auΒ and adjust your strides.

We’re hiring CoachKings Venue Hosts! Click here for full details, or if you’re just gagging to get CoachKings to a venue near you click here.

Thanks to our play-at-home sponsors Fantasy Insider for their sensation support. Check em out here – and go absolutely NUTS on the LineUp Cruncher below to help you get your CoachKings team together.

Now. Sit back, suck in a few deep ones & enjoy the show!

Declan · 28/02/2017 at 17:12

Love the work lads. Keep it up

Harvey · 28/02/2017 at 17:18

Bloody legends.

Jiggs · 28/02/2017 at 17:23

Love it lads, Jock what's your team line up at this stage

mason · 28/02/2017 at 17:25

Can you provide captions or a transcript with your podcasts please?

I cannot understand a single word because I am deaf πŸ™

Valens_FC · 28/02/2017 at 21:46

Hope they can sort something out for you mate…… although some of the language used might be a bit difficult to caption!

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 18:11

As soon rd 1 teams come out all of my rookies will be changed

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 18:12

Does anyone know if O'Meara will play r1

Jib_Jib · 28/02/2017 at 18:23

Clarko

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 18:24

I doubt it. I thought round 4 would be around the time the Hawks would risk him. Give him a few VFL games.

Northernsoul74 · 28/02/2017 at 18:50

That doesn't make any sense to me.

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 19:54

I reckon that round 4 plan back in early January was thrown out the window once he starred in their intra-club weeks ago. He only looked the Hawks best player on Sunday.

Using that logic I guess Swallow should be eased back in the NEAFL too. He hasn't played any footy in two years either. πŸ™‚

So I'm sorry if it upsets the precious structures that everyone has carefully crafted without him but I'd be stunned if JOM doesn't play Rd1, unless he has a significant fitness issue between now and then.

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 20:44

Agreed SCA. On that logic the banned bombers Roughy Fyfe Beams & others should think about match payments later in the year

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 20:28

Just as likely to be injured in VFL anyway I guess.

Krups · 28/02/2017 at 19:27

Um ok lol. Play in the JLT but na leave him till round 4. Ross Lyon isnt coaching him is he?

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 19:54

Ummmm there is a fair step up from JLT to play for points AFL. I saw one decent tackle all weekend.

Hawks will not risk this guy.

Essendon round 1, they won't need him. Maybe a chance for round 2 at home to the crowd….. maybe if he is ahead of schedule. They won't take him to the Gold Coast, leaves round 4 vs Cats……. hmmm just like the hawks said a month ago.

Krups · 28/02/2017 at 20:10

Hahaha he will play round one. Essendon at $2.50 to roll the Hawks and don't be surprised of an upset. Round one never goes to an and usually have a few surprises.

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 20:52

The only way I can watch a Hawks game is to bet against them. Ultimate boring. I'll have a piece of the 2fiddy & cheer on the Bombers

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 20:21

Hawthorn Assistant coach Cameron Bruce said he believes O'meara will line up in round one?

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 20:25

That is significant!

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 20:27

"Hawthorn assistant coach Cameron Bruce said it was his gut feel O’Meara would line-up in Round 1 against Essendon after a carefully-managed preseason."

Herald sun article.

Liam · 28/02/2017 at 18:40

Why would the play him in the JLT if they weren't going to play him round 1.

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 19:04

he's now played two JLT games, I'd assume they are planning to play him round one. Their midfield needs him.

Clock Management · 28/02/2017 at 19:43

Derek is on the money. Won't play Rd 1 look for a round 3-4 debut for hawks. JLT is like VFL, that's why he would play in JLT and not first 2 red in AFL.

Clock Management · 28/02/2017 at 19:43

Rounds not red lol

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 20:11

Well if he's not named round one I'll ditch him and grab him on the bubble. JOM>Beams

Glorin · 01/03/2017 at 01:15

He was at every centre bounce in the first half at the weekend. Was pushed hard for a half and eased in the second.
          Said himself that if he pulled up ok he would use the 2 weeks to recover then push harder again jlt3.
          If he has no new set backs he will play rd 1.

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 10:12

as a hawks fan, pretty happy with that. still won't pick him in my SC team

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 18:12

Mills or Adams

Jib_Jib · 28/02/2017 at 18:24

Madams

Krups · 28/02/2017 at 19:30

Neither

ado · 02/03/2017 at 09:24

jj or matt boyd are both solid options. Shane biggs is also a roughy

Patch · 28/02/2017 at 18:16

Jock mate, if a 2-0-6 structure scares you, make sure you have an industrial strength diaper for my team reveal old mate…

Eric_the_Red · 28/02/2017 at 18:20

Looking forward to it Patch. Keen to see something out of the ordinary!

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 19:41

I have heard of a few at 1-0-7 Patch. What have you got for us!!! At my vantage point the best rookies have Def status so no Def structure is ludricrous

Clock Management · 28/02/2017 at 19:49

Correct Pieman, your wise man bud. Especially with the lack of rookies in other lines particularly midfield.

RobDog · 28/02/2017 at 20:18

All true, but 2-0-4 still means very low point generation from your 4 rookies. Def is the lowest point generating line and depending on rookies will hurt. That is on top of Crouching's/Jock's point about being landed with a surprise donut. Can see a Scharenberg/Hampton type being best 22 but the others are all speculation. No free startup team/Essendon glut of rookies, love this game. Starting teams so important this year.

The Ranger · 01/03/2017 at 13:33

Could Patch be the first man ever to go in with a 0-0-8!

demon_spud · 28/02/2017 at 18:41

Crouching good comment on Nanky…..while his stats looked good, Jacobs was running around holding his back…no real competition.

Sean S · 28/02/2017 at 18:55

Zach Touhy is my pod.

Thought

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 19:03

Never been a top defender.

Sean S · 28/02/2017 at 19:21

New role for the cats, taking over Corey Enright. 130 jlt

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 20:13

At 450K I can afford to see if he's worth getting later on in the season without missing out on much. At 350-400K I'd probably be locking him in.

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 19:36

Nice. Save a trade for him

Sean S · 28/02/2017 at 19:52

What are you saying here INPieman?

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 20:13

You will need to get rid of him when you realise he's a liability. Best year Av is 81.5. Asking him to increase that by 15 points per game to be a good pick has low odds of sucsess. It's a game of beating the odds. That's not a punt I'd consider

Valens_FC · 28/02/2017 at 20:25

Doc was an 87 average before last season. Just sayin'.

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 20:32

Yeah and Doc is only 23 years old.

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 20:42

He does look the obvious Enright replacement and seems to have the appropriate skill set for the role. He also has a handy Rd12 bye so there's that too.

But we still need a sample size greater than just JLT1 before you'd start locking him in. One to keep an eye on in JLT2/3 no doubt.

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 20:31

That's the thing, he's unproven and not at a price where it's a no brainer to pick him up new role or not. I can get him after byes for probably 500K-ish even if he goes well.

He ain't getting 130 every week like the JLT game.

Sean s · 28/02/2017 at 20:46

Haha love it valens. Doc is/was only 23 years old. Tuohy is changing his role and team, not asking for a 15 point boost with the same team same role. 130 jlt could be a lone wolf stat but I can't see him losing any more than 30-40 of those points come round 1 whether there is more attention attracted to him or not. I think there is a lot of risk involved but for 443 I'm taking it and putting that 100k somewhere else.

Valens_FC · 28/02/2017 at 20:52

Fair points. Just remember Enright was top 5 last season and no one really noticed him – low ownership all the way. That's the role Tuhoy has come in to fill so it is a role in the Cats structure and there's no way he's a lock down defender with Lonregan, Henderson and now Stewart maybe taking Taylor's role. At Carlton he was more lock down with Doc and Simpson the go to guys.

No guarantees Tuhoy will emulate Enright (super coach wise) but that is unquestionably what he is there to do. Agree though can be an upgrade target.

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 20:57

I'm sure I'll be reconsidering if he scores tons in the next two games. Can trade Vince out πŸ˜‰

Holty · 28/02/2017 at 21:22

Hi sean. I think you seem pretty sold on him already. Its like me with Titch. You can ask the question to the community for their thoughts but you already know no matter what they say you are still going to select him. Ill try and help though with my thoughts on Touhy
    Pros: potential breakout candidate with role in backline.
    Enright leaving could mean Touhy gets some of his role.
    Cons: never been elite
    Will he actually have the rebounding defender role come season proper?
    Good luck

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 21:37

It's called a priority pick. By the time you've realised you've picked a turd you've got other priorities & your stuck with him. Been down that path plenty of times. Pass

Holty · 28/02/2017 at 21:53

I agree pieman. I wont be touching him. We are all giving our thoughts. Up to the people concerned if they still want to go with him.

ado · 02/03/2017 at 09:24

trash pod. biggs will be better. expect big things

moyleos · 28/02/2017 at 19:28

WHats the big deal around Marchbank?

Clock Management · 28/02/2017 at 19:53

That he has a clock in his bedroom

wombatsfc · 28/02/2017 at 20:46

He takes a lot of marks and uses the ball fairly well and is part of a defense that will see more play than any other backline in the comp. Plus he's less than 250k and guaranteed to play every game if fit.

gawdk · 28/02/2017 at 19:33

Look, if I play sandy at r2 I'm not wasting my f3 or f4 with someone I don't want (Ryder) just as back up. You pick sandy that's the risk your taking odds aren't that high he's gonna get injured, be like me and Have a good fwd line and sandiballs.

Eric_the_Red · 28/02/2017 at 19:46

I actually think I agree with you. Take the risk and see what happens. Better than having someone sitting at F3 or 4 'just because'. Good luck with it.

Clock Nanagement · 28/02/2017 at 19:46

I actually agree with you, Ryder or Nank won't be valid selections.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 19:58

Have a bit of cash, just in case

RobDog · 28/02/2017 at 20:21

Is 2 trades to rectify, that's why. He goes down and you need to burn two to replace him. Keeping a warchest in case means you go lighter on the other lines. If Pruess gets named might solve the issue.

Holty · 28/02/2017 at 23:17

Hi clock. Any reason you think ryder wont be a valid selection?

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 21:02

Very logical thinking but if he does get injured you in a lot of shit overall worth the risk

Coolibar to Riv · 28/02/2017 at 21:56

Thank-you good man. Trouser adjustment required over your in-sight. Agree 100%

Tommo09 · 28/02/2017 at 19:47

My team is pretty risky I know but if could pay off.

Def: Doch, Shaw, Laird, Scharenberg, Newman, J.Smith (Ryan, Stewart)
Mid: Danger, Gaz, Bont, Fyfe, T.Mitchell, O'Meara, Swallow, SPP (Hibberd, Freeman, Graham)
Ruc: Gawn, Sandi (Cameron)
Fwd: Dahl, Lynch, Heeney, Rough, McCluggage, Bowes (Pickett, Eddy)

Not sure about:
Mitchell – can he be top 10 but will be in the mid lots without S.Mitchell and Lewis
O'Meara – injury-prone but looked very good
Swallow – also injury-prone but I like him this year
Gaz – could be a great POD
Sandi – could be very good or very bad

Any advice is more than welcome community

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 20:01

Gaz will spend a lot of time forward this season. Especially early season

JOM is this years BCrouch

Omeara · 28/02/2017 at 20:18

Disagree with you here Derek, JOM much better footy player than crouch

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 20:34

I think he is saying it for the fact that anything could happen with his body, which is probably true considering he hasn't played for years.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 21:01

Thsts what I meant. Almost the same price as well

Adam · 01/03/2017 at 07:47

Too early

Coolibar to Riv · 28/02/2017 at 21:59

Sorry Derek disagree. JOM fit looks like Gary Jnr. Will become Michael Jordan of AFL. Watch his highlights reel…..beyond comparison.

RobDog · 28/02/2017 at 20:30

I'd hold off on Gaz until Rd9 and avoid losing a premo that round. Like Titch's chances of top ten with new hawks lineup too. Omeara looks the goods, not as confident with Swallow.

Also, not counting rookies, you lose 3 in Rd9 (where all 22 score), and 8 in Rd 13.

Would use the Higginator and balance the byes out a bit.

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 20:59

You need ryder if you are going with Sandi

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 21:31

Disagree.

Coolibar to Riv · 28/02/2017 at 21:59

Sean · 01/03/2017 at 21:48

People need to forget about gaz as hard as it is I know just a waste of trades doesn't want to be there injury prone has god on his brain Gold Coast bottom 3 resting forward just a simple no

ado · 02/03/2017 at 09:25

get shane biggs in the def. he's a jet

Clock Management · 28/02/2017 at 19:52

Not sure what this has to do with the podcast but it's good looking team. Forward line would have me nervous though, particularly Heeney, do you believe he will be a top 6-8 fed this year? Cause I don't

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 21:45

I agree with you Clock. There are signs. But nothing proven. At his price your picking him as a keeper. Dangerous territory. Huge talent but we've seen this type of pick fail countless times. I'll sit back & watch

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 20:14

The JLT is in full swing and the mid-price madness has hit.

I'm seeing Tuohy, Nankervis, JOM, Roughie, Vince, Wingard… even Petracca in a few teams.

Sure these guys had good games, but have a look who they were up against? There have been a lot of quality players rested or told to take it easy.

Don't get fooled by the JLT and think it is serious.

Just use The JLT to find out rookies.

Dukes · 28/02/2017 at 20:29

Half those players you named are fallen premiums which i consider valid selections. Its the other half you mentioned the breakout players that people need to not get too carried away with

RobDog · 28/02/2017 at 20:41

Agree Dukes, Vince has been very consistent and with a stronger Demons lineup should do well, JLT just confirming he is in form. Rough is a gun, if fit at that price is a lock, could well stay all year. JOM too, with added responsibility at a weakened Hawks could be a keeper even if it's M9 etc. Wingegard less certainty, always been inconsistent. Nank & Tuohy need more evidence yet.

Gawn · 28/02/2017 at 20:53

Vince is a no for me if people are wanting him as a keeper, highest ever average 98, don't see him making top 8 defenders.

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 21:30

Still a solid D6. Unlikely to deviate, should bring in 80-120's consistently.

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 20:37

Vince is a consistent performer, he shouldn't have made your list. Averaged 92-98 the past 3 years. Barely missed a game the last 4 years.

JOM natural football talent, as is Roughy. Worth taking a risk.

The rest are unproven or inconsistent even if their body is right.

Kev · 28/02/2017 at 20:43

Harsh call on Rough, Derek. Averaged 95-103 five years running. Doesn't look troubled by his knee, moving all around the ground from what we've seen so far

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 20:56

I think you are right. There is a place for fallen premium mid pricers.

They must have been a true premium. JOM and Swallow never were.

Roughie and wingard, maybe were.

Beams and Murphy were.

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 21:01

Yeah if guys returning from injury/illness are having great preseasons then I think the risk is only moderate to low that something will go wrong. It's the guys who don't play any preseason games and are then are wheeled out in Rd1 like Gaz and B.Crouch last year that you have to really worry about.

But Roughy, JOM and Swallow have been flying in the JLT so wouldn't overly stress picking those guys if you ask me.

Coolibar to Riv · 28/02/2017 at 22:02

Great insight here^^^^^^

Valens_FC · 28/02/2017 at 20:44

Agree with Dukes – the definition of mid pricer needs to be tightened. Best value player last season was Wells. Last season he was a unique proposition but this season there's more guys that qualify as fallen premos.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 20:51

Wells is the only mid pricer in last two years that I've had that has done well. Out of 11.

Valens_FC · 28/02/2017 at 20:54

So proves you just have to pick the right one πŸ™‚

neil demonsdelight · 01/03/2017 at 12:36

LIBBA

Derek · 02/03/2017 at 08:50

Did Libba do ok?

Top Hawk · 28/02/2017 at 21:10

Yep, and Dazza (Derek) said that Wells was a "trap" during last season's NAB cup. Go figure…..

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 22:45

actually, Wells was rookie priced last year, not even a mid pricer, pure cash cow, low risk. He was in my team purely to make cash.

Where there were other mid pricer I thought could have become keepers. I was wrong 10 out of 10.

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 20:58

I think JOM and Roughie arn't over the top but the rest are

Top Hawk · 28/02/2017 at 21:07

That's a rough call on Roughie Derek! Trust me, the guy can still play football even after a year out with life threatening medical issues. If anything, he will be a better player now he is on the road to recovery. Your "mid price madness" post is fake news! As a Hawthorn supporter, (Like you?) I have a duty to stick up for Roughie. What a legend.

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 21:10

Cancer isn't a physical injury that will keep coming back like a string or something like that he should play the whole year

Top Hawk · 28/02/2017 at 21:18

Exactly BONT. Physically he should be cherry ripe after his one year lay off. At 367K you would be a mug not to start him.

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 21:33

I threw away the key weeks ago.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 22:47

I think he is awkward priced. Unless you think he will be a keeper, might make $130k, not enough

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 01:02

Roughy is a 500K+ player every day of the week and a keeper. Happy to pay 360K for him this year and I know he hasn't been crippled by a limb or joint injury so there is minimal risk.

If it was someone else coming back from an actual footy injury I'd be hesitant but this is a special case and in my mind a no brainer.

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 10:14

i'm starting to think he is a good option.

Keenbutclueless · 01/03/2017 at 10:43

He is coming back from injury. He did his posterior cruciate ligament.

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 17:05

Wasn't aware of that thanks. Seems to be good physically though so still a big lock for me.

neil demonsdelight · 01/03/2017 at 12:39

THATS THE POINT DEREK HE IS A KEEPER

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 13:17

borderline keeper.

The Ranger · 01/03/2017 at 13:25

I wouldn't say he's a definite keeper but at that price you have to define him as a keeper or a stepping stone 'cos he's not going to earn fast cash.
                He's never been in my team before but this year with so few mids getting the DPP he has become relevant as he should score reasonably well and slowly gain in value.
                He's in my team and I'm hoping he'll be a keeper but if he's not going so well and the opportunity to trade up comes along then he may get the flick.

Moustachio · 01/03/2017 at 20:38

Gauging fitness of JOM/Roughie is valid, I agree with the rest

Derek · 02/03/2017 at 08:51

I'm starting to think Roughie is a very good F4, maybe even F3

Rivo · 28/02/2017 at 20:50

Just brilliant again Jock, Higgo & Crouching. Especially liked the Priddis joke.

Like many, not sold on Ryder as F3 and Hibberd (Melb) at D4. So if go for JOM at M6 & Swallow M7, then I'm thinking Hibberd (Melb) to Hampton at D4, then Ryder to possibly Lycet or Nank. Thoughts Community? My head hurts…

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 21:07

J J Kennedy has been the most inconsistend shit last year one week he would get 170 but the next is 40 Is it worth getting him

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 21:28

You answered your own question. If you don't like inconsistency then go for Mccrae/Dahl/Caddy type.

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 21:51

already got Dahl and maccrea and i don't like the look of caddy

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 21:54

Lynch (GCS)
      N.Reiwoldt
      Roughy

Rick Grimes · 02/03/2017 at 07:55

I'm looking at either him or Lynch. I think they could be great loophole options. If you get the 170, sweet, if you don't, can chuck it on Danger or Gawn. Rank is my primary goal, so as long as he's top 5 at year end i am happy.

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 21:14

Gray or Selwood

Top Hawk · 28/02/2017 at 21:26

Selwood. (Not Scott……) Robbie Gray you grab after the round 9 bye after cashing in SPP and B.Eddy!

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 21:34

True.

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 21:28

Which one you think will have the better season?

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 21:44

It's a close call but Jelwood for me. You just don't know what you are going to get from Port week in week out although I'm sure Gray will still be a good pick as he's a dead set superstar.

Jelwood does have that useful Rd12 bye and Cats have a fairly decent early draw which makes him a slightly more attractive option to me.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 22:52

Selwood. Think about Gray round 10

Seb · 28/02/2017 at 22:25

What are people's back ups for sandi?

Clock Management · 28/02/2017 at 22:44

Tyrone Leonardis looks like a good r3 option so does Caleb Daniel, 50/50

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 22:51

I'm liking preuss at R3

Northernsoul74 · 01/03/2017 at 07:39

You can't swing Preuss forward though.

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 10:15

thanks. he looked ok, if i was starting with Goldy, i would have him at R3

HaloumiMan · 28/02/2017 at 23:06

Injury to Mason Wood does open up a KPF role for Preuss at North, he's my R3 atm. Wouldn't use up a Fwd slot in Supercoach team to cover Sandi beyond that. You've got problems when Ryder is your most reliable option. Just hope Sandi makes it to bye rounds, even if he goes down about round 6-7 he'll hopefully have made enough coin to sideways trade to another premo. If he goes down before that you may have to burn two trades. Best mitigation measure with Sandi is to limit your risks taken on other lines.

Holty · 28/02/2017 at 23:23

Why are so many bagging Ryder? He wont be sharing the ruck with lobbe this year.

HaloumiMan · 28/02/2017 at 23:37

Not criticising his scoring potential, more his durability. From 2012-2015 he missed an average of 4.5 games per season (18 in total). Too much risk in tandem with Sandi for mine. Ryder is also a risky keeper selection so there's a good chance you'd have to upgrade both of them, not just Sandi.

Holty · 01/03/2017 at 00:05

I see your reasoning and fair point. First real explanation ive read on here as to why someone wont select him. I see him as a risk worth taking. He is a fallen premium in my eyes.
          Cheers Haloumi

Keenbutclueless · 01/03/2017 at 00:51

Haloumi nailed it. I would add one more thing for you to consider- Brendan Lade, Port's ruck coach said he thought the Lobbe Ryder combination could work. Let's say they try that for a few rounds before they realise it's shit. Ryder's price could conceivably drop or remain stagnant during that time. If you catch him a couple of weeks after his scoring starts to improve, best case coincides with his bye, then he could be a good trade in option. If Lobbe is picked Round 1, might be the perfect signal not to pick him.
            Certainly if you are basing your team around him now and you see Lobbe picked Round 1, you would be nervous. Best to have a contingency plan if that happens

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 00:51

He shared ruck duties in the JLT game?

Do you have a source for your info?

Keenbutclueless · 01/03/2017 at 01:26

It was an interview with Brendan Lade that appeared on the AFL website. Will see if I can find a link.

Keenbutclueless · 01/03/2017 at 01:30

It appeared in the Geelong Advertiser on 20 Jan. AFL website must have lifted it.

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 10:16

because it is doubtful he will be top 8 forward. expensive backup plan

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 00:58

Preuss + 250K

hedski · 01/03/2017 at 11:15

Don't start him or have some nice strong rope.

Dave2008 · 28/02/2017 at 23:20

Latest draft to fit Omeara and D Swallow in:

D Shaw Adams Laird Vickers-Willis Ryan Stewart Hewitt Long
M Danger Treloar T Mitchell Fyfe J Steven Omeara D Swallow SPP Pickett Hibberd Bolton
R Gawn Goldy
F McRae DAL Heeney Roughy Black Dear Rioli Eddy

D Swallow Omeara H Shaw J Steven B Long Vickers-Willis Heeney
or

Greenwood Drew Doc JPK Scharenberg Keefe N Roo plus 93K

Thoughts anyone?

Kev · 01/03/2017 at 10:25

Keep tinkering, Dave. TMitch not M3 material

THE NANK · 28/02/2017 at 23:43

Thoughts community
Changes galore, Goldy IS in R2
Def: Doc, Adams, Laird, Hampton, Newman, Ryan (Stewart, Guthrie)

Mid: Danger, Pendles, Selwood, Cripps, Fyfe, Mitchell, Brodie, SPP (Wigg, Miles, Bolton)

Ruck: Gawn, Goldy (Strndica)

Forward: Dalhaus, Gunston, Ryder, Black, Pickett, Smith (Cameron, Eddy)

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 10:19

Goldy is $280k more than sandilands.

think about what you could do with all that cash and won't lose that many points.

Upgrade sandi to Goldy in a few weeks when Goldy has reduced in price a bit. Use one extra trade, seems worth it.

Holty · 28/02/2017 at 23:51

Hi community. I'm very curious to find out why so many have ridden off Ryder. So many saying he is a waste of space, not a keeper etc but no reason behind it. I look at a bloke who averaged 84 in 2015 sharing the ruck with Lobbe. Doubtful this will happen this year as Lobbe is rubbish and wont get a game.
The 3 years before that he averaged 101, 90 and 105.
I think he is a great back up for the ruck and a great chance at being a keeper in the forward line considering only Riewoldt averaged 100+ last season.
Would love to hear the communities opinion

SCaddict · 01/03/2017 at 00:47

He underwhelmed in JLT1, played forward plenty sharing the ruck with Lobbe and Trengove which was a major turn off and to top it off he has burnt plenty of coaches in the past. Plus now Nankervis and Preuss both seem to be shaping up as cheaper legit ruck cover options. Oh and let's not forget his problematic Rd9 bye.

But I agree with you it's probably too early to write him off after just one poor JLT game after missing over a year of footy. Let's see what happens in JLT2 and 3 first.

Btw have you still written off JOM? As I mentioned to you a fortnight ago it was going to be Jaegermania around here. πŸ™‚

Holty · 01/03/2017 at 00:59

Lol very true about the JOM. He has been extremely impressive and having a look his % of ownership has skyrocketed. Still not in my side but another impressive jlt game and he will be very hard to refuse.
      I think Trengove will help Ryder in the ruck but thats where Ryder will spend most his time. Lobbe wiil play SANFL. Had his opportunity last year and was terrible. Ryder did spend plenty time up forward but when in ruck looked impressive. Hopefully we will see him more in the ruck next few jlt games to give us a better idea. As it is, i have set and forget rucks (changes everyday though) with ryder at f3 hoping he will be that keeper

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 00:57

Lobbe scored better than Ryder in the JLT game with less time on ground.

Lobbe is a pure Ruck.

Ryder is a much better forward and kick at goal, so that's where he'll mainly be if Lobbe is also playing.

There's no clear evidence that Lobbe will not get a game, he also averaged 100 in 2014 so is not rubbish when his body is right etc.

Holty · 01/03/2017 at 01:11

Cheers Burnmen. Its good to get all these opinions. The Ryder selection is obviously pending on Lobbe but id be very surprised if Lobbe plays.

Benchwarmers · 01/03/2017 at 17:55

Also food for thought re the whole Ryder/Lobbe issue is that in the Adelaide Advertiser a little while ago, an article from Port's ruck coach, Brendan Lade threw up the suggestion to Kenny Hinkley that Charlie Dixon should be considered in the ruck as well – may never happen but it's being discussed.

Abalone Sheen · 01/03/2017 at 00:33

Know it's not the place but just looking for some feedback to help adjust the team. Thoughts on going Roughead at F3 or Grundy at R1 to upgrade Galluci to O'Meara

DEF: H.Shaw, T.Adams, R.Laird, B.Vince, C.Hampton, T.Stewart (BENCH) L.Ryan, E.Vicker-Willis

MID: P.Dangerfield, D.Hanneberry, A.Treloar, M.Priddis, N.Fyfe, D.Swallow, J.Galluci, S.Powel-Pepper (BENCH) T.Miles, H.Wigg, J.Graham

RUC: M.Gawn, T.Nankervis (BENCH) L.Strndica

FWD: L.Dalhaus, J.Macrae, D.Smith, H.McCluggage, J.Bowes, D.Butler (BENCH) T.Smith, B.Eddy

20 K leftover

Keenbutclueless · 01/03/2017 at 01:00

If you drop a defender you would be able to upgrade McCluggage to Roughy and Galluci to O'Meara.
    It depends on how you feel about having 3 defensive rookies on field. It does seem the most popular structure (doesn't mean it's right or wrong, but you are on site that has a pretty well informed opinion) personally I think EVW can move on field. I also think Newman is a good chance to get games.

Abalone Sheen · 01/03/2017 at 21:21

Cheers for the advice, will definitely look through a few scenarios with a 3-0-3 Def now

Thomas · 01/03/2017 at 09:21

Caddy or Heeney?

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 10:23

I like the idea of Caddy. A genuine midfielder with Fwd status. That should equal good consistent SC points. I don't have either, but i have thought about caddy as an option

Valens_FC · 01/03/2017 at 13:32

I agree with Derek. I didn't have him in until the past couple of days – the podcast tipped me over the edge and now he's in after Crouching say he look fit!

Caddy more or less has to do what he's done in the past, but with more midfield time certain at Richmond, should be able to lift to a 95-100 average. With N Reiwoldt the only FWD eligible player who average over 100 last year, 95 may be enough to be top 6 this year. DPP an extra bonus for a keeper who has a good chance of being top 6 at season's end. Round 12 bye also significant.

THE NANK · 01/03/2017 at 09:42

Thoughts community

option 1:
Def: Doc, Adams, Laird, Hampton, Newman, Ryan (Stewart, Guthrie)

Ruck: Gawn, Goldy (Strndica)

Forward: Dalhaus, Gunston, Ryder, Black, Pickett, Smith (Cameron, Eddy)

option 2

Def: Doc, Laird, Adams, Hampton, Ryan, Vickers-Willis (Stewart, Guthrie)

Mid: Danger, Pendles, Selwood, Bont, Fyfe, M.Crouch, David Swallow, SPP (Wigg, Miles, Bolton)

Ruck: Gawn, Sandi (Strndica)

Forward: Dalhaus, Caddy, Ryder, Roughie, Black, Pickett (Eddy, Smith)

Kev · 01/03/2017 at 10:15

I prefer option 2

Matze · 01/03/2017 at 09:56

Tuohy, JOM, roughy, swallow and menegola too much in the same team?

Kev · 01/03/2017 at 10:13

Yeah, Matze. Menegola, JOM, Swallow all in your mids. None are keepers or have potential to be imo

Matze · 01/03/2017 at 10:41

Yea I figured as much. Think I got sucked in by menegola 99 avg hahaha

mikeg · 01/03/2017 at 13:53

I'm slightly tempted but unlikely . priced to avg 89, so should make that easy enough. looked good in the first game.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 01/03/2017 at 11:38

Mate back your gut usually best indicator.
    They might not be keepers but these guys have obviously allowed you to pump up some other lines.
    With aggressive trading might work.

Don't be a sheep be a wolf.

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 22:36

Menegola has played 7 career games and he is almost $500,000. He doesn't have too much experience with AFL but if he does will this year consider him next year

Marco_Polo94 · 01/03/2017 at 10:26

Matty Crouch is doing my bloody head in, everything screams breakout but not sure I want him over a proven premium.

Thomas · 01/03/2017 at 10:56

Yeah not for me, for the extra 50-100k you can get a proven scorer who isn't anywhere near as risky.

hedski · 01/03/2017 at 11:20

Same here Marco, he's sitting at M6 atm but just keep staring at him, doesn't look quite right.

mikeg · 01/03/2017 at 13:54

Monitor game time over the next couple of pre-season games. needs to build up to more minutes on the field, still only 70 odd last week.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 01/03/2017 at 11:35

Haven't had a listen yet fellas but sure it will be top shelf as usual. That is what wed lunch in the park is for. Pod 101.

Some interesting tidbits last couple of days.
Crows mids sloanedog, crouch, tommo, struggling to be ready Rd 1. Brings rooks wigg and Riley right into calculations. Cey injured opens up a permanent spot.

Port due to suspension and injury fwd line looks a bit bare brings eddy right to the front of the queue, the chad and 50 shades to also help out fwd

Ablett to be eased back in starting fwd opens up a mid spot rocket has likes brodies JLT so far not far off Rd 1 gig.

Roughie to play all 3 JLT almost certain starter Rd 1.

Some big names to make their debut this week.
Lots to think about.

Not changing my team if at all until end of JLT when I have all the information I need to make a informed decision. Ie silly to take Ryder out now after one bad pre season.game. hasn't played for 12 months. See how he goes next two matches then make the call if not lone wolf will have to be replaced.

No need to be so Trigger Happy well at least not yet.

star shel · 01/03/2017 at 11:51

Who do i get for Dustin Martin i have $603,000

Supercoach Spud · 01/03/2017 at 11:53

Have a look At Matt Prisdas

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 22:33

Nar settle for someone with better disposal efficiency the supercoach gods hate him. if you get 30 disposals and don't get over 100 points that retarded

Kevan · 01/03/2017 at 11:59

I have this horrible vision of Viney going through Fyfe in Rd4. Can't get it out of my head.

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 12:31

My V3 team.

has changed a fair bit from V.2

Out: Scharenberg, berry, Priddis, McCluggage, Myers
IN: Hampton, Vickers, TMitch, Roughie, Brodie

Swallow has been in and out more times than i dare to count.

Adams, Laird, Mills, Hampton, Vickers, Newman (Ryan, Stewart)
Dangerfield, Fyfe, Hanners, Selwood, Treloar, TMitch, Brodie, SPP (Hibberd, Bolton, Wigg)
Gawn, Sandi (Strd)
Dalhaus, McCrae, Cyril, Roughie, Knight, Pickett (Miles, Eddy)

I'm stacking up on crows midfields (Laird, Hampton, Wigg, Knight) with the opportunities there.
OldOcker convinced me TMitch is worthy of a top 8 midfield spot and along with Roughie looking good and Cyril as my big POD, i'm looking to cash in on the hawks good early draw. Miles may become Shoenmakers.
Mills is locked at D3. Docherty, Simpson & Shaw are just way to expensive to start, will look at upgrading them later, but can see Mills holding onto a D6 spot for the run home, will be 100% midfield by year end.
I'm staying away from anymore mid-pricers (JOM, Swallow, Wingard, Ryder have all been considered) i have 3 already, two fallen premium midpricers (roughie & sandi) and only 1 breakout midpricer. that is enough to worry over.
Brodie could become McGrath or Berry (love their DPP) or any other midfield rookie who steps up.

thats all fellas, what do you reckon fellas, thanks fellas….

Marco_Polo94 · 01/03/2017 at 12:54

Looks good, ballsy going with Mills at D3, and I hope for your sake Cyril stays on the park. Thoughts on Gunston this season? Reckon roughy will help or harm his SC output? I love the stacked midfield, this really seems like the season to do so considering how few mid rookies are on offer.

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 13:41

I had another look at the hawks vs north game last night. main reason was to look at TMitch, when i finished i locked him in and threw away the key and went looking for the odds of TMitch winning the Hawks B&F. thanks OldOcker for your words of wisdom on the podcast you did.

Roughie and Gunston were everywhere. that might change when all the players are back, especially ISmith. But it looked like Gunston was on the wing leaving Tyrone and Shoenmakers to be the tall targets in the forward 50. Gunston will be top 8 forward this year.

Shoenmakers is a lock for round 1. Sicilly is now a defender, O'Brien won't be considered. if Miles doesn't get named, i'll be looking at Shoenmakers at F6.

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 16:45

Plenty of defensive rookies Mills is my F3 as well at the moment.

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 16:49

D3*

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 21:19

McVeigh injured and will miss start of season. I can see Mills having to stay in defence and play that sweeping role that McVeigh would have played

Keenbutclueless · 01/03/2017 at 13:41

Very close to my side, Derek. We have identical backlines and rucks and the same top 6 mids. I have JOM and Swallow at M7 and M8. In the forward line I have Caddy instead of Rioli and Hrovat instead of Macrae. Given the closeness of their starting price, the choice between Rioli and Caddy is just a personal choice, not a structural decision. I have taken the value of JOM and Swallow over Macrae because I don't think Macrae will burn me early and I can get him after his bye. I also have little to no faith in any of the mid rookies as onfield options. I took Hrovat basically because I had money left over. It could have been a rookie, but I went up to Hrovat because I could afford him. If Knight shows me something I might go down to him and keep the cash.

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 14:22

i don't think Knight has played in JLT yet. looking forward to seeing him this weekend.

Valens_FC · 01/03/2017 at 13:50

Really well constructed and thought out team Derek. Slightly surprised at the inclusion of Mills after previous comments re mid price madness. Could say the same for Cyril, but you are a Hawthorn fan and have been saying he's your POD all pre-season.

The only thing going that deep in midfield from the start is that you only have 2 spots to fit in other proven premos or any emerging beast as this season's top 8 takes shape. JOM, Swallow or another rookie surely carries risk, but also gives flexibility in case there's a mistake in those first 6 you have picked….. many threats to top 8 from last season: Titch, Cripps, Zerret, Zorko, Dusty, Gray, Bont, etc. Neale came through last season for example to finish with 6th best average.

So wonder whether the right play might be to not have Titch at M6 and get a premo like Simpson in your DEF from the start. Never misses a game and not much variation in points output (low ceiling, high floor). Set and forget, almost no risk of not being top 6 and history says low injury risk. Can be at expense of Mills or in addition to if you are willing to go another rookie in MID. Titch may well end up top 8 and you may have to pay a bit more later, but he's in a new team whose midfield has just lost its two best players. Probably worth a look and pay an extra $40k later if needs be.

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 14:18

Thanks Valens. Mills has been in team for a while now. there might be some cognitive bias happening as my son played footy with him and i know how good he will be.

My other two spots in midfield are reserved for JPK and Pendles. I think of my best 8 midfield, they seem to start the slowest. there are other emerging talent, but these blokes won't be far off the pace. For me it is all about staying on the field, TMitch looks robust which i like. i had Rocky and BCrouch in my starting team last year.

I really like Simmo, and had him at D1 instead of Adams for a period. he has same bye as Mills. Willing to pick Simmo, shaw and Docherty up at cheaper prices later to fill my defence.

neil demonsdelight · 01/03/2017 at 14:32

looks good Derek I prefer Kelly the pops kind to adams he worries me and McGrath in mids With your swingset cant see Mills at D3 a problem Cyril real gutsy there mate picket s the other concern hasn't shown much prefer Black but jurys out How your teams changed from M7 CHEERS NEIL

Top Hawk · 01/03/2017 at 21:15

A very good side in my humble opinion πŸ˜‰

Quite a few similarities to my side at this stage. Great to see you are backing Roughie! Worried about Rioli with those suspect hammies of his mind you. I am not sure about your choice not to have either D Swallow nor JOM. Perhaps you need to pick at least one of these two blokes to hedge your bets. I have picked both. I have kept Myers as a loophole donkey. I expect him to play around round 6. Preserve that cash generation trade.

Other than that, good side. And I love the Mills pick by the way. I am going to see if I can find a way to squeeze him into the Tophawks structure.

cheers

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 21:26

Thanks TH.
      Swallow has been in and out many times.

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to go from Brodie to Swallow.

I'm more likely to go Brodie to a cheaper rookie if I can find one. Just don't see either Swallow of JOM earning enough cash fast enough. This year I'm going to cull earlier and get to full premium sooner, those boys not in my plan.

I see Berry only 1-2 weeks away. Very interest in him.

Top Hawk · 01/03/2017 at 23:27

Fair call Derek.

However, SC is just not about fast cash generation. It is also about fast SC points generation.

Here lies my argument- You pick Swallow and JOM and you get premo SC point output at a discounted price. Both will still generate cash whilst onfield. Period

If one or both get injured, or under perform, then that is bad luck. This is why we have season trades. If I have to trade these guys out, they will not drop a lot in price, and can still replace them/him with a player(s) on "the bubble".

Points win Supercoach. Only points! (The rest is a negotiation)

Derek · 02/03/2017 at 00:10

Fair enough. Taking the high injury risk of picking Swallow or JOM away for a moment, lets say they average 90 each. When do you get rid of them? I would say you need to keep them until the byes to reach full potential.

The great thing about cheapies is they have one big score and Bam for 3 weeks massive price rise. For the expensive rookies it doesn't have the same effect, in fact as the big score rolls out, and you are not ready to cull, you may in fact have a price drop.

In the meantime, the cheap rookie who might have just been averaging 70 has long been culled and the next bubble boy is also about ready to upgrade to a premium coming off their bye. The cash made on the first cheapies was used to get a premium who scores better than JOM and Swallow.

So come the byes, you will have less cash, less premiums and probably less points plus two almost sideways trades to make to premiums.

Look at last years winner. The biggest take away was he culled rookies quickly and got to full premium very soon.

The bottom line is JS.

We want players who will Play. Not even considering the injury risks with Swallow and JOM.

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 22:24

Alot for thourght has gorn into this team. No Docerty is a concern even to start the season with one permo defender is worring. I haven't herd much about hanners but i don't see why he carn't produce another good season. Sandi with no backup makes sense just a downgrade to upgrade . I can tell you go for Hawthorn with Cyril in there. Im not so sure what is spical about L.Ryan even though i have him he hasn't played any JLT so people are seeing something spicial in him.

Derek · 02/03/2017 at 00:16

You can't have them all.

Laird is a lock. Will get plenty of midfield and good value.

Adams is a genuine midfielder with Defence status. SC gold. Good value as well. Injury risk though.

Paying the big bucks for Docherty Shaw and Simmo doesn't fit with my structure. If they average 10 pts more, I'm not far behind because I could afford a premium M6.

Shake n bake · 02/03/2017 at 09:21

I see you have stuck with Cyril, well I've had a few go there as my F3 and l have after thought went with Higgins.
        Could be a huge risk, inj, will he be a top 8 fwd. Well l think he can, some of it is a gut feel but just think again if
        he stays fit he will be my pod.

Derek · 02/03/2017 at 11:11

I think north offer heap of value this year. Simpkin looks really good, Turner will be solid, Hrovat is good value at $300k, vickers, hibberd, durdin, pluess…….

Higgins is in same price bracket as Heeney, Ryder, Roughie, Miller, Billings, Wingard

Shake n bake · 02/03/2017 at 11:49

True, just think hell avg more than all of them. How much coin do you left in the kitty?

Derek · 02/03/2017 at 13:36

Only $60k.

neil demonsdelight · 02/03/2017 at 13:52

Higgins is a mighty risk shake Roughy much less of a risk and good Js . The 2 doggies Nick Lynch Buddy and Roughy are my 6 Lynch is bargain priced at 507 finished the year well and is a must have .Understand 3 kpp is risky but dpp are rare. HIGGINS too injury prone for mine CHEERS neil

Powerspussies · 01/03/2017 at 12:51

Great side Derek. I am punting on Heeney rather than Mills.
How do the round 11 and 13 bye rounds sit with your team?
Also, I may take a risk with Cam McCathy (Freo [email protected] $204K). He had a good first half of 2015 before he lost interest and he is a strong chance to take Pav's spot.
What do you think.

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 13:25

1 drawback with Mills is his round 11 bye.

i have 5 keepers out round 11, i think most will have that number.

Have not considered Cam. I like to have as many midfielders as possible. But someone has to kick the goals at fremantle, it might be him.

I liked the look of Simpkin (north $162k) on the weekend. There is also, hrovate $300k, Turner $171k and Durbin $123k from north who could be good options.

Powerspussies · 01/03/2017 at 14:44

I have 4 keepers out in round 11 and 6 out in round 13 but by astute? trading I expect to have an ok team from then on.
      A couple of your options are sound but at this stage I will risk McCarthy.
      Thanks Derek.

Jordan · 01/03/2017 at 13:05

Sloane and SPP or
Swallow and omeara

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 16:43

All 4.

Sloane might not play round one, So Swallow O'meara and SPP.

neil demonsdelight · 01/03/2017 at 13:07

jom swallow roughy sandi mills just too much value there .I will be selecting all 5 hoping for bookend keepers mills and roughy and wells last year type results from the other 3. this appears the best structure particularly forward where I cant see much value in rookies

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 16:43

Possible forward cash cows D.Cameron, D.Butler, A.Black, T.MIles, Pickett, Eddy.

Shake n bake · 02/03/2017 at 10:03

Neil do you want to join my league would like you in there l can open a spot? Let me know I'll give you the code.

neil demonsdelight · 02/03/2017 at 12:49

no problems shake pleasure neil demons delight

Shake n bake · 02/03/2017 at 16:27

Ill give you the code in the morning neil at work atm glad u could join.

Shake n bake · 03/03/2017 at 11:31

code no neil is 770101 just made a spot for you.

Jimmy · 01/03/2017 at 13:25

Why is no one selecting Parker this year??

mikeg · 01/03/2017 at 13:50

Coming back from surgery in the off season- limited training and prep I suspect.

hedski · 01/03/2017 at 17:20

If he plays jlt3 and named round 1 he's in for me Jimmy, starts like a madman (Brownlow smokey).
    Hopefully can play 22 this year, have Hannas there atm.

John · 01/03/2017 at 13:31

Libberatore and Riewoldt or Sloane and either Isaac smith or caddy

Dukes · 01/03/2017 at 15:01

Sloane likely to miss rd1

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 16:41

None of those options.

wolfman1226 · 01/03/2017 at 13:37

BACKS : Docherty, Shaw, Johannisen, Hampton, Newman, Vickers-Willis (Stewart, Smith)

MIDS: Danger, Pendlebury ,Hannebery, Treloar, Fyfe, Swallow, Brodie, Powell-Pepper (Hibberd, Freeman, Miles)

RUCKS: Gawn, Goldstein (Strnadica)

FWDS: Riewoldt, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Black, Pickett, Butler, (Cameron, Eddy)

this is what i am currently sitting on
any advice lads

Dave · 01/03/2017 at 14:05

Bernie Vince or Zac Williams ? Leaning towards Vince for DPP

Seeker · 01/03/2017 at 16:29

Vince is likely to play that Doc, Shaw defensive sweeper role, His DE % might rise as he's hitting up targets. He'll get less time in the middle because of the Dee's midfield development but there will be still be some time in there. He also enjoys contested possession.

Zac is very good but I worry he needs more time in the middle to get his scores up enough to be a top 10 defence keeper and with GWS's midfield just don't see it happening. He also seemed to run out of steam last year post the bye

INPieman · 01/03/2017 at 16:34

Vince for me. But I wouldn't be surprised if Zac stepped up to premo

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 22:13

Both very qualtie players but vince for me

neil demonsdelight · 02/03/2017 at 20:42

vince

liam · 01/03/2017 at 16:33

petracca yes or no

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 16:40

Risky.

hedski · 01/03/2017 at 16:44

Na

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 22:12

He looked like an absolute superstar in the JLT the other day but NO for me

Tibor · 11/03/2017 at 08:43

Will have some big scores but some real shockers to balance. Not enough midfield and too much fwd flank. Brayshaw as dpp or even Oliver might be better

Doc · 01/03/2017 at 17:08

H.shaw/Rockliff/Gawn/Pickett

Or

T.adams/Titch/Ryder/caddy

Northernsoul74 · 01/03/2017 at 20:03

Option 1.

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 20:15

Yep easy

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 22:11

T adams/ Titch / Gawn/ Pickett

neil demonsdelight · 02/03/2017 at 20:42

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 17:32

It seems like there are 3 types of Mid-pricers.

1. Fallen true premium (Sandilands, Beams, Maybe Roughie & Wingard)
2. The "never was and never will be" (there are too many to name…Rich, BSmith, Higgins types)
3. Young up and coming breakout (Petracca, Heeney, Mills, JOM, Swallow)

Category 1 is where we need to look to get most of our mid-pricers from. the trick is to look at why they have fallen and weigh the risks associated with that. Does this problem still exist?

Category 2 you get a big RED pen and start crossing out names. (last two years i have failed with 9 out of my 9 selections. Two selections from category 1 were Wells last year and Cloke the year before, 1 out of 2)

Category 3 is for the bragging rights. Bit like poker machine addicts, only brag about the times they won and forget to mention the losses. Will be hit and miss, mostly miss. I had a look at some old Jock Mid-price cheat sheets of years gone by….wow there were some bad one in there that were considered valid at the time

Patch's article on Mid-pricers…. for those who have not read this magnificent piece… read it NOW http://www.jockreynolds.com.au/2017/01/19/superco

neil demonsdelight · 01/03/2017 at 18:46

A few years back Gawn was a broken down wannabe. As your premiums retire they are replaced by your big maxys The trick is to find them. With Maxy I was well aware of his progress but all the others such as Neale it comes down to research.My research suggests the next uber premium to be Mills and Josh Kelly but out of ten I would get 2 right.When Rich was drafted to Brisbane I was kicking myself that the Dees let him go for Nic Nac or Watts who we got at 1 BOY was I wrong and so were you last year DEREK SHOULD HAVE GOT YOUR BIG RED PEN OUT LAST YEAR Your team looks better now and I am having thoughts but Mills and Roughy will be there and Sandy though a risk should be a good stepping stone for one of the gees.Jurys out for Swallow and JOM Don't know more to it CHEERS Neil

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 19:02

cheers neil, love your thoughts.

just quietly………I have seen Josh Kelly's name get mentioned a few times now by some of the elite supercoaches. not much spoken publicly though. seems like mum's the word on the boy πŸ˜‰

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 22:09

With Josh Kelly getting that 150 in the JLT i can see why people are talking about him

SCaddict · 01/03/2017 at 19:24

I'd say by JOM and Swallow are closer to the fallen premium category than the breakout contender. Both have produced premium output for an entire season before. In Swallow's case it was just over a ton per game and JOM just under.

So you're not hoping for them to "break out" as such but rather return to or slightly exceed the premium output they have already delivered in the past.

neil demonsdelight · 01/03/2017 at 20:09

agree to disagree SC . Swallow close to premium JOM next rung down matter of opinion.Their value will be in JS compared to your rookies.but will they make coin quickly points yes coin no

SCaddict · 01/03/2017 at 21:07

The Traders crew on the AFL website have coined the term "Roses" to describe these sorts of value players that aren't rookies. So they are advocating a 'Guns n Roses' strategy this season ha ha.

SnakeWu · 01/03/2017 at 18:03

Def: Docherty, Montagna, Adams, Laird, Hampton, Vickers (Stewart, Ryan)

Mid: Danger, Pendles, Rocky, Fyfe, O'Meara, Swallow, Brodie, SPP ( Barrett, Wigg, Hibberd)

Ruck: Goldy Grundy (Sterndick)

Fwd: Dahl, Macrae, Caddy, Mclug, Gallucci, Black (Cunico, Eddy)

Thoughts appreciated community!

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 21:35

Back: 4 permos in the back and looking good

Mids: Fyfe at M4 is a very light middle

Rucks: Same as mine

FWD : I don't like the look of Caddy and it does't like he will set the world on fire

Jason · 01/03/2017 at 18:07

Gaz for 2018 FORWARD ELIGIBILITY LOCK

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 21:32

Hope so

caddyshack · 02/03/2017 at 20:41

looks like it

Supercoach Spud · 01/03/2017 at 19:46

Who should take out of my back 3 for Vince ,,, Doch,Adams or Laird

Seb · 01/03/2017 at 20:01

Vince isn't better than any of these in my opinion I'd stay with those three, but if you really want him I'd take out Adams for him

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 20:13

Why are you changing to Vince?

Supercoach Spud · 01/03/2017 at 20:27

Have a good feeling about him

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 20:48

Could trade out Doch if you think his price will go down by the bye period.

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 21:31

if it was any it would be Adams

Bruce paperclips · 02/03/2017 at 00:46

Adams- Other two are proven. Adams still has a question on his durability IMO. In saying that I think Adams has a better upside than Vince. Go with your gut Bro!

gator59 · 01/03/2017 at 20:44

Currently have 13 keepers, but am i going in to hard with Fyfe at M7

Seb · 01/03/2017 at 21:05

sounds like you've stacked the mid a bit to much

Northernsoul74 · 01/03/2017 at 21:22

Fyfe is my M6.

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 21:25

Iv got thirteen and Fyfe at m6 AS WELL

Top Hawk · 01/03/2017 at 21:53

WTF? That strategy is retarded. WELCOME!

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 22:14

I find it funny as soom a Brodie does well in the JLT (Vs Essendon) everyone gets him in

Derek · 02/03/2017 at 08:58

That's what JLT is all about

Burnmen · 02/03/2017 at 12:21

If he plays round one then why not?

Rick Grimes · 02/03/2017 at 12:35

He also looked good v Brisbane. He's a rookie, what else to do judge him on?

The BONT · 01/03/2017 at 22:31

It the most unique stratergy I have seen by anyone yet but if it works you are a genius

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 22:55

You have far too much time on your hands

Woody · 02/03/2017 at 08:05

Bloody brilliant podcast fellas – arousing, hilarious material. Keep it up!

Here is my 100th version & counting…:)

Doc, laird, adams, hampton, ottens, whatcha talkin about willis, hibbo, stewart
Danger, ablett, zerrett, rocky, fyfe, jaegerbomb, swallow, spp, myers, barrett, wigg
Gawn, sandi, preuuuusssss
Dahl, macrae, gunston, rough, black, pickett, T. Smith, eddy

My team is quite similar to a lot of you good people, with some subtle changes.

Still bit unsure with the big investment in doc. Ppl give me reassurance.
Gone ablett great pod now. Yes he is a risk, but reward outweighs that. Won't succeed if you don't take some risks. He is fit now (all i care about & has done most preseason) & im not worried about fwd time – he will be playing in the guts if suns are serious in wanting to win, especially if a game is tight. 1 worry is the round 9 bye, but im comfortable i will have plenty of cover by then.
Zerrett: might be biased being a dons man, but this kid is an absolute gun & another great pod. I dont know if any player in the game in their 3rd yr has polled top 10 in brownlow playing in a team that got the spoon & getting smashed almost every wk? Confident he will only improve this yr.
JOM: why bloody why have you smashed the jlt so far… now every bandwagon person is getting on you. Hasnt left my team since day 1. Welcome majority.
Keeping myers atm as a loophole option in mids & to save a trade for later. If a great rook in mids pops up i will replace him. He will be back around round 4.
Havent gone the jpk, pendles, hanners, treloar etc types as will pick them up later. Don't like 2 uber premos from 1 team, hence not going any of these to start with. See who the best value out of these is later in season & snap them up then as they will drop in value.
Liking preuss with every day goes by as a reasonable backup for sandiballs. I believe he will play & the article yesty re Goldy is giving me more confidence that will happen.
Still unsure with macrae in my fwd line. Only got him in last week replacing billings. Might swap him back with a breakout contender (billings, heeney).
Gunston love, despite being a hawk! Let me just say get jocks mag!

Please provide feedback you beautiful community, criticism not welcome… nah jokes fire away only way to improve. Good luck to you all!

Supercoach Spud · 02/03/2017 at 08:08

Like the team get rid of gunston i reckon because with Rough back he wont score as much

Thomas · 02/03/2017 at 08:56

Recent history has shown he actually scores better with rough in the team, because Rough takes the best defender.

Woody · 02/03/2017 at 10:16

Yep & I also liked the role he played on the wkd drifting up to the wing – could be a sign of things to come…

Derek · 02/03/2017 at 10:36

i think Clarkos plan is to play Tyrone and McEvoy in ruck, resting in goal square. Shoenmakers as the other tall forward (Scilly will play in defence). Roughie will be centre half and crashing through the midfield. Gunston will be roaming the wings (no Hill) and doing whatever he needs.

Gunston should do well

Burnmen · 02/03/2017 at 12:20

Agree Gunston will do fine.

Derek · 02/03/2017 at 10:40

I believe Myers has been put on long term injury list. I thought that meant 8 weeks.

Woody · 02/03/2017 at 11:18

Yes he has, but 2 wks has already past, another 3 wks before season starts leaving round 4 where he is due back.

neil demonsdelight · 02/03/2017 at 12:51

ist rookie downgrade

Supercoach Spud · 02/03/2017 at 08:06

Backs=Doch,,Laird,Vince,Hamton ,Newman,Ryan,Vickers-Wills,Stewart,
Mids=Danger,JPK,Pendles,Gray,Shuey,Fyfe,SPP,Picket,Jarman,Graham,Freeman,
Rucks=Gawn,Toby Nak,Strnadica,
Fwds=Josh Kennedy,Dalhouse,Ryder,Roughead,Black,Eddy,Smith,Camreeon,

help with any part of team and $8,111 in bank

Need to look at Andy Otten he was good till he started getting injured

Seb · 02/03/2017 at 09:04

Will Deledio be fit round 1 or any JLT?

THE NANK · 02/03/2017 at 09:46

Seb · 02/03/2017 at 12:03

Thoughts on the team?

Shaw, laird, mills, Hampton, vickers Willis, Newman (Stewart, Guthrie)

Danger, Pendles, hanners, Fyfe, Mitchell, JOM, swallow, PP ( Myers, wiggs, hibberd

Gawn, sandi (preuss)

Riewoldt, Dahl, caddy, roughy, black, miles ( smith, eddy)

I have 146k left so I can upgrade Mills or keep him not sure,

Any opinions, feedback or criticism would be great.

Burnmen · 02/03/2017 at 12:16

Looks solid to me, although that cash will have to be sorted out as it's not enough to upgrade Sandi to Grundy if he goes down, but it's enough to upgrade someone like Mills as you say.

I think your midfield is a little lean but you might get away with it.

Personally I'd be tempted to go one leaner in the forwards and drop maybe Reiwoldt/Caddy, but that's just me and could be risky.

Seb · 02/03/2017 at 12:41

I agree with the midflied I might drop swallow and make him a premo and make marchbank instead of mills

Seb · 02/03/2017 at 12:43

And not many rookie options fwd so think I'll stay with fwd one but I would prefer make the backline 2-0-6 structure because of all the backline rookies, rather than a forward line 2-1-5

neil demonsdelight · 02/03/2017 at 13:08

Hi SEB most of those expensive def will drop and quickly if they .have a poor round maybe thru injury but they will .drop.same as Pendles TRELOAR CHEAPER.relying heavily on JOM AND SWALLOW and Myers is out till r4.Forwards are good and this is where you need them good move roughy F4 need the 4 good forwards.Def can be lighter but not forwards even yours and mine for that matter rookies are risky. My first upgrade will be forward don't like Caddy maybe swap with MacCrae plenty of coin.PREUSS IS INTERESTING do you think he will play in front of Majak we need a bigger sample of him cheers Seb and good luck NEIL

Seb · 02/03/2017 at 13:18

Cheers Neil, saw an article saying that goldy would like the preuss,goldy and daw combo, and plenty of opportunity at north with injuries so I think he will get a few games

neil demonsdelight · 02/03/2017 at 13:57

maybe we don't want him to play with Gawn cracking out big captains scores.however might be needed if Sandi goes down logical thinking

Derek · 02/03/2017 at 13:41

McVeigh to miss start of season again. Mills to fill that sweeping role, maybe less midfield for him

Burnmen · 02/03/2017 at 13:58

Either way should rack up possessions and rebound 50's?

Northernsoul74 · 02/03/2017 at 14:25

And conversely more for Heeney?

Burnmen · 02/03/2017 at 15:36

Tis a good point. Would hate to see him moved up to a pocket though when McVeigh comes back?

Derek · 02/03/2017 at 17:18

It might mean time in midfield for Heeney. Suck everyone in, McVeigh comes back, Heeney to forward pocket. Grumpy supercoachers.

neil demonsdelight · 02/03/2017 at 14:03

Shake n Bake MY reply to your league request probably got mixed up in the middle of the forum It would be a pleasure to join Cheers Neil

Shake n bake · 02/03/2017 at 17:27

Ill give you the code tomorrow Neil working atm glad you coild join.

Shake n bake · 03/03/2017 at 11:32

Neil the league no is 770101 just made a spot for you.

neil demons delight · 03/03/2017 at 17:03

thx

Zee888 · 02/03/2017 at 14:16

Main reasons behind Libba's fall in SC average last year? Could he bounce back?

Steeeve · 03/03/2017 at 12:23

First year back from an ACL. Could bounce back, showed a lot toward the end of last year. But that midfield is a lot deeper and more polished than it was when he pumped out a 110 average as the top Dog

Seb · 02/03/2017 at 14:22

Caddy or McRae???

Kev · 02/03/2017 at 18:36

McRae

Jason · 02/03/2017 at 19:00

Caddy

Steven Jurica · 03/03/2017 at 09:09

McCaddy

Zee888 · 06/03/2017 at 09:40

mcrae

neil demonsdelight · 02/03/2017 at 19:24

Notice a lot of teams on this forum are almost identical. Demons Delights is 6 different to two prominent JOCK Reynolds community members. I will not change my squad because trading and Bye research will separate us. PODS could also separate us .Derek has Cyril and Shake N Bake Higgins neither of whom I will have so I am looking for my own POD. I came up with three low ownership pods Kelly Stevens and Mitchell the HAWK ONE. LEANING TOWARD STEVENS any others CHEERS NEIL

neil demonsdelight · 02/03/2017 at 19:29

need more research STEVENS IS STKILDAS STEVEN

Seb · 02/03/2017 at 20:40

I'm considering coniglio as my POD

Danners · 02/03/2017 at 21:20

Another great podcast Jock and crew! Been a bit busy, but found time to listen. I reckon I will go in with Beams and not O'Meara and trade into him if something happens to Beams. Remember community, O'Meara missed TWO full AFL seasons of football, surely has to go wrong.

Seb · 02/03/2017 at 21:22

Good point danners, might do the same the way beams is performing in the current game

Steven Jurica · 03/03/2017 at 09:08

Remember Danners, Hawthorn are that far ahead of the curve when it comes to the treatment of management of sports injuries. They could have fixed Lee Walker's knee's I reckon. Shaun Burgoyne was supposed to have degenerative knee issues and he hasn't missed a game since Adam was a boy. Cyril was supposed to have cronic hamstring issues but hasnt missed a beat in the last couple of seasons and they even changed his running style.

Bonniedooners · 03/03/2017 at 09:25

Steven, you are so correct.
The team off the field is more important than the team on the field and as an Essendon supporter I am in awe of The Hawks. Their admin is first class with few if any rumbles and their recruiting, fitness and medical teams are first class therefore O'Meara is in my team.

Big G · 03/03/2017 at 10:00

Joey or Rance? Should I re-think Rocky now that Beams looks like he is back?

Bathwater · 03/03/2017 at 10:07

Both good but Rance for mine.
If you go Rocky and Beams, means two out of round 11 bye round. Plenty of other options up until then. Perhaps Rocky after the bye round.
Good luck Big G

Big G · 03/03/2017 at 10:55

cheers bathwater. I was going with Rocky because he can rack up stats and go big like no other, but as some people alluded to, when Beams plays apparently his numbers go down a bit. Beams looked good last night. I wonder if rocky owners are likewise concerned or he still such a good player it doesn't matter?

Pirate · 03/03/2017 at 15:04

G'day Commmunidy.

Any thought on my version86 team appreciated.

Looking to go with premium / rookie structure (been burnt too many times trying to pick mid pricers).

DEF: Rance, Adams, Laird, Keefe, Hampton, V-W, (Ryan, Stewart)

MID: Danger, Selwood, Treloar, Fyfe, Mitchell, Watson, Pow-Pep, Hibberd (Wigg, Pickett, Miles)

RUCK: Gawn, Goldy, (Strnadica)

FWD: Reiwoldt, Dahl, Franklin, Thomas, Black, Begley (Eddy, Smith)

Watson is only mid pricer, is a gun, has a point to prove and has history to be 105+, can't pass him up at that price.
Rookies to be decided in the 11th hour before lockout.

Thoughts appreciated?

Thoughts?

One's Bowler · 04/03/2017 at 03:36

Black at F5 and Keefe at D4? I think with the limited mid rookies everyone needs to risk with 3 or 4 midpricers? Sandi and Roughie? Do think it is a great team if your bottom quarrter play?

One's Bowler · 04/03/2017 at 03:23

Seen a lot of teams? Granted I barrack for the Hawks but at $160k am I the only going for Shoenmakers?

Tibor · 04/03/2017 at 08:09

How can that be such a bad idea at this price. Options are only rookie Forwards and rookie forwards are SuperCoach poison imo. At least you know what your getting as long as he gets a game. Is it true that Schoenmakers is a German word that means clanger?.

Pirate · 04/03/2017 at 08:19

At 155k he is a known quantity. His scoring ability is limited and I'm not sure about his job security. If he plays early doors he could be worth 150k in price generation….not the worst pick Imo

Derek · 04/03/2017 at 12:46

I think he is a good chance to play round 1. Gunston more on wing. Roughie in guts and half forward, Tyrone in ruck. I can see role for him as tall forward.

Problem is he just isn't SC friendly

Tibor · 04/03/2017 at 08:35

Could it be a year where some mid price madness pays off. Those rookie prices have just crept a bit too high for my liking and so many of the best rookie options find themselves at clubs where they will struggle to play a lot of top level footy straight away,

BACKS. Adams. JMartin. Salem. Hunt. Marchbank Vickers Willis. Often. J Smith

MID. JPK. Fyfe. Dahl house Vince. JOM. Jobe. DSwallow. Fiorini. SPP. Hibberd Allison

RUCK. Gawn. Nankervis. Preuss