Barron Rookie SpreadsheetTime for an updated Jock Reynolds 2017 AFL Rookie Priced Watchlist!

You can use this spreadsheet to see what each rookie priced player scored, how much time they spent on ground and how their price might rise (or fall) to if they score the same when the real stuff comes around.

The average on a full game is only an estimate, using a bit of Peter Higginbotham style footy maths.

Dual position players are only listed once in their first listed position. Eg MID/FWD will be found in MIDS.

Look out for an updated sheet after JLT3!

Now, unless you’re just coming out of your off season SuperCoach hibernation I’m assuming you already have what most are calling the “greatest piece of SuperCoach literature every created” in the hand? If not, you’re missing out BIG time.. make sure you get your copy of the Jock Reynolds 2017 Fantasy Footy Magazine by ordering here!

DOWNLOAD MY JLT2 ROOKIE ANALYSIS SPREADSHEET HERE

Barron Von Crow

@BarronVonCrow
Note: You will need to have Microsoft excel on a desktop or laptop to use this spreadsheet!

KEEN TO WORK WITH UNCLE JOCK? FIND OUT MORE HERE

The Ranger · 27/02/2017 at 10:20

Nice one Barron, thanks mate.
Be interested to hear your take on Hampton? Will he get enough game time in the mids?

BarronVonCrow · 27/02/2017 at 11:22

He should, though I get the feeling he might take over Dougie's role as that high half forward with stints in the middle. Should still be enough to generate some decent points and cash at his starting price.

The Ranger · 27/02/2017 at 12:22

Thanks Barron.
      He was a mid/fwd as a kid before he went to GWS I think so that half forward role would make sense.
      If he's named he's a lock for mine.

Dice · 27/02/2017 at 11:04

Hampton or Otten – who's gonna get more game time?

BarronVonCrow · 27/02/2017 at 11:23

Hampton at this stage, though Otten could easily get a gig if Lever and/or Cheney have a setback prior to Round 1.

Tim · 27/02/2017 at 11:18

The other Adelaide relevant question is whether Wigg is actually going to get a game? He looked great, but may not find a place in their Round 1 team.

BarronVonCrow · 27/02/2017 at 11:26

Might be a tough squeeze for him. Milera looked really good also and I think they may get him a gig ahead due to his speed and tackling ability.

They've talked about playing Mackay across half back, haven't been a fan of his for a long time, so Wigg could slot into that sort of role easy enough. Crows have been pretty conservative in the past about bringing in too much youth at once, but I have heard that was heavily a David Noble led thing, who is up in Brisbane now.

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 14:20

Knight might be ahead of him as well

BarronVonCrow · 27/02/2017 at 11:21

Oh, just a note everyone. I rijigged the spreadsheet between week 1 and 2 a bit just to make a full game set at 80% rather than 85%. So if you notice and projections have gone between 1 and 2 without an extra game played that's why.

Seb · 27/02/2017 at 11:30

GRUNDY OR GOLDY????

And also I currently have JOM and swallow at M7 and M8. Should I only have one? My point in that was to trade swallow around Round 9 to upgrade himbefore his round 9 bye. And upgrade jaeger before his bye.

Thoughts??

Valens_FC · 27/02/2017 at 13:22

Grundy for me… lone wolf and fit. This big prick Preuss looking good to take some ruck time from Goldy.

Depends on how much other risk in your team. If you also have Sandi, Fyfe and Roughy that's a fair bit of risk for guys coming off injuries and serious illness.

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 14:22

I posted about this last week, the return of clubs to Two ruckman. I'm seeing it happening.

Lone Wolf rucks are gold.

INPieman · 27/02/2017 at 15:02

Goldy looked like a bloke without much of a preseason yesterday. If Preuss gets picked for round 1 I won't be picking Goldy

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 15:42

Preuss might be a good R3 option if you do go in with goldy. I still think they will play Daw ahead of Preuss, but if Goldy get injured…..

UncleSwaggy · 27/02/2017 at 20:36

was thinking the same thing, will make great goldy insurance, can also be used as a (expensive) loophole option as north have 8 sunday games

Shake n bake · 27/02/2017 at 11:57

Awesome Barron love the ownership % on your spreadsheet. Great to see the % of ownership from week 1 to week 2!
Interesting.

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 02:01

Bloody Grouse BARRON, As usual.
    Ownership percentage even with Rookies can mean something to many. Like Shake says that is a great guide as to who is picking who.
    The best guide would obviously be who does their own research into teams and the possibility of Rookies gaining a position in the team that could possibly make the best 22. Not necessarily the sheep move though.

Ruck is turning out to be a real conundrum this year with cheap viable options for upgrading before byes when we have a much better idea of what is going on. There is no doubt in my mind that Gun Rucks will lose money early. Unless they can improve their average by 6 points from 2016.
    Teams may well go in with 2 Rucks this year which obviously affect Goldy and Grundy.
    I am not a fan of Ryder, he has had many chances to prove himself and has NEVER been a consideration for my team.
    I will run with Gawn and Sandi at this stage but I WILL NOT waste a forward position for Ryder. He is not a keeper and there is too much value in the FWD line to dismiss. Even in the RF Position for cover. Even Preuss with no D/P is RISKY. (Unless you go D/P Second RUCK)

Swans2012 · 28/02/2017 at 07:34

Agree re Ryder ock, just can't see him anywhere near top 10 forwards at this stage, and if sandi goes down I'm tipping it won't be for one week, it'll be a trade out scenario not a r/f insurance cover scenario. Was rolling with Ryder but now firmly no, gawn and sandi for me with any of the rookie rucks that get named to r3. Would much rather a roughy/wingard/Heeney than Ryder

Damien · 27/02/2017 at 12:06

Sam Fisher full game projection of 106.7 is something to get excited about, but will he get a game? Ditto for Lachlan Tiziani, Daniel Lloyd and Zach Guthrie.

Love your work Barron.

Bes · 27/02/2017 at 12:48

Thought on team? Not sure about having o'meara and swallow at M7 and M8 but hard to choose between them so have gone with both for now. Also cant decided whether goldy or grundy will be better, your thoughts on that would be great.

DEF: shaw, laird, mills, Hampton, vickers Willis, Newman (Ryan, Stewart)

MID: danger, hanners, treloar, Bont, titch, JOM, swallow (Sam PP, wiggs, hibberd)

RUC: Gawn, grundy (strindica)

FWD: Dahl, Heeney, Roughead, picket, miles, black ( smith, eddy

Any thoughts or opinions?

Holty · 27/02/2017 at 13:10

I assume the mid missing is fyfe?

Bes · 27/02/2017 at 13:17

Yes Fyfe is missing mid

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 15:43

the 5 rookies on forward line is a worry.

Bes · 27/02/2017 at 15:53

Who do you suggest as a player to fill one of their positions?

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 16:30

You would need to re-structure to do that. Replace TMitch with Pickett in guts and bring in McCrae in forward line.

mcCrae is certain Top 6 forward, TMitch is top 15 mid at best, will save you a future trade.

Leeds17 · 27/02/2017 at 22:27

I don't see much improvement in Macrae, you'd want to be happy with 95 odd for your investment, the way Bevo rotates them going to be hard for him to hit 30 touches &/or high tackles consistently and he needs that to push 100sc, by know means a bad pick in fact I think he's close to certainty to be a top 6 points overall point scorer in the forward line but average i'm not so convinced of.

Loo · 27/02/2017 at 13:19

Def – Simpson, laird, JJ, EVW, Newman, J.Smith (Guthrie, Watson)
Mid- Danger, Treloar, Pendles, Hanners, Priddus, Gray, Wigg, Hibberd (NM) (Brodie, Lloyd, poholke)
Ruck – Gawn, goldy (Cameron)
Fwd – maccrae, Greene, Petracca, nankervis, Taranto, Houston (eddy, Pickett)

61k left atm

Loo · 27/02/2017 at 13:20

Oops, Dahl not maccrae

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 15:52

why do you have Nankervis?

Kev · 27/02/2017 at 16:38

Yeah, don't bother with Nank, Ryder etc unless you're rolling with Sandi in the ruck

Tim · 01/03/2017 at 13:47

Ryder is a 90+ player as a ruckman.

JustAmug · 27/02/2017 at 23:17

Finally see someone going Greene as Fwd, think he's a great POD

Touk tuk · 27/02/2017 at 14:20

Hows dawson simpson as R2 community?

Swans2012 · 28/02/2017 at 07:36

Is there a punchline?

INPieman · 27/02/2017 at 14:30

Outstanding work as always BVC. Really fantastic spread sheet. I'm still not enthusiastic about the Mid rookies. Hopefully a few pop up in the remaining weekends!

jockreynolds · 27/02/2017 at 14:41

We. Are. STRUGGLING for MID rooks!

Nateo · 27/02/2017 at 14:49

sure are Jock, i'm thinking using m11 as a loophole and keep R3 for Preuss

INPieman · 27/02/2017 at 14:58

Thinking the same Nateo. Look for a bloke that is likely to get a game at some point with as many late games as possible. Possibly Harley Balic for Freo

Northernsoul74 · 27/02/2017 at 15:19

Might just stick Berry on the pine for the early rounds as comfortable he'll get games once he's up and running.

The Ranger · 27/02/2017 at 15:24

I might even keep Myers on the bench.

INPieman · 27/02/2017 at 15:35

Berry or Myers are options

Keenbutclueless · 27/02/2017 at 15:37

Luke Ryan is another

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 15:45

when are they likely to play. Round 3-5ish?

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/02/2017 at 16:00

Geez pie don't give away all the tricks. .

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 02:14

What is this community for TRIGGER?
            Love your work mate on the Risk Analysis.
            Lets get together and work on something for next year to make the Ultimate Workbook.
            I am very willing if you are mate, Just give me a yell. I can work with colors but the figures themselves are the TRUTH.

Randomcliche2 · 28/02/2017 at 21:00

If you drop me an email at 005342 at gmail dot com and happy to help out with some automation and making it community friendly. Cheers

Damien · 27/02/2017 at 16:19

Josh Deluca-Cardillo likely to be upgraded at some point to add firepower to Freo's small forward division after the retirement of Yarran. Watch for him.

Sabsy · 27/02/2017 at 18:37

He's my starting donut this season, his DPP provides flexibility should he need to be moved at some point to facilitate a trade.

Keenbutclueless · 27/02/2017 at 20:14

Having another look at this, I think Guthrie from Geelong is perfect. Cats have 4 Sunday plus Easter Monday in first 6 rounds. Their other game is a twilight Saturday. Even Rounds 7&8 are Saturday night games.

The big advantage for me of having a defender is that most will be playing 2 or 3 rookies in Defence. Therefore not only a Capt loophole but a rookie loophole as well. If you play Serious Prick as R3 it's only a Capt loophole. If you play hyphen from Freo as M11, but playing Swallow and JOM at M7 and M8, then you won't be loopholing rookies in the mids anyway.

He may get a game along the way. He was good in JLT1. And Geelong seem to play their rookies. DPP would make him perfect, but he does seem a good fit.

Sabsy · 27/02/2017 at 23:40

It's a risky approach (as one injury and suddenly you have no bench cover) but can pay dividends, especially when you have rookies whose scoring is inconsistent, giving you an edge that other coaches won't have.

I may park JDC on my forward bench (with a mid/fwd DPP on my mid bench as a swingset) to give me a loophole option in a line where scoring tends to have a wide S/D. Having said that, even in the mids there is no certainty about rookie scoring, and the apparent dirth of genuine options in 2017 exacerbates this even further!

The TL;DR version: having a donut with DPP gives you greater flexibility around loopholes.

Keenbutclueless · 28/02/2017 at 02:09

Good advice. Thanks. Made me rethink it. Both have their advantage, but overall your suggestion makes more sense. Much appreciated

Scouser · 28/02/2017 at 08:19

Spot on here Sabsy I had Declan hamilton play this role for me last season (based on advice from Trigger I think?), worked wonders and won me a few games.

Scouser · 28/02/2017 at 08:25

Further to this, its an optoon that works better for those focussed on league success as oppossed to overall challengers as wastes an appreciating rookie spot for cash generation.

Sabsy · 28/02/2017 at 20:08

That's me, my main focus is league wins, I'm not in it to win the big prize. Wouldn't turn it down though. 😉

If you make good rookie choices then you can afford to have a few bench donuts not appreciating as we only need so many rookies (8-10) for downgrades. Having said that, if you want to reach full premo ASAP (as is usually the case) then having too many donuts can inhibit your progress. Use with care!

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 02:47

Zac Guthrie impressed Danger and Coach, BIG talk he will be upgraded before season start.

Sabsy · 28/02/2017 at 20:11

Hooooooo baby, that is tasty news, tasty indeed.

GreggasGuns · 28/02/2017 at 06:36

Same

Seb · 27/02/2017 at 15:17

Because of the minimal mid rookies I've gone with JOM and swallow at M7 and M8, risky but see it paying off.

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 15:49

i think that is where they should be. I had swallow at M6 before Myers was injured and it just didn't look right. Since Myers is out, gone with extra premium and swallow looks right at M7. I'm still happy with SPP at M8, so maybe have to choose between swallow and JOM.

Seb · 27/02/2017 at 15:52

So hard to choose though and I don't know where else to put a mid pricer,

I'd rather swallow at M8 rather than a mid pricer in the forward or backline like marchbank or mcclugage

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 15:57

i have a fairly black and white approach. Players are either keepers (best possible 22) or they are cash cows.

the job of a cash cow is to make cash, as soon as possible.

The more expensive rookies will make cash slower!

Seb · 27/02/2017 at 16:00

so do you reckon Brodie is a better option at M8 than either swallow or JOM?

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 16:14

depends on what you can do with an extra $100k. If that cash can get you from a Heeney to a Dalhaus you will save a future trade.

the best rookies for cash generation are the bargin ones, all they need is 1 really good score and it rockets their price for 3 weeks, but you will have sleepless nights if you have them starting on your field (IE Menapoo).

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 02:52

I have reduced to JOM only because Eade has said that he will treat Swallow as a rookie.
          Eade, Lyin and Dimma are all starting to fit in the same basket for mine.
          I currently have JOM and Swallow as M7 AND 8
          I am making contingency plans after JLT 3

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 15:51

i didn't see the Suns play, Brodie went ok i heard.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/02/2017 at 15:56

This from Rocket on Brodie yesterday.

"He's certainly put himself in frame for round 1 there is no doubt about that". "If he does miss out he is not far away".

Be a very nice M8 – mate.

One more good performance could see him in.

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 16:03

i read an article some time ago that said he was close to being #1 pick, however had an injury at the combine testing.

it said that he loves contested ball more than life itself (think JPK)

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/02/2017 at 16:08

I have big wraps on the kid – JPK clone
            Granted there were some guns missing from the Suns yesterday but he smashed it. First game had an influence as well with a few more mids around him.
            With ablett still yet to play a game wouldn't be surprised if his mid time was managed and young will played on the ball from the first bounce where he belongs.

Whitey · 27/02/2017 at 16:17

I think Ablett might play a bit more forward this year so you might be right Trigger.

Liam · 27/02/2017 at 20:38

What do you see Brodie averaging ?
          Not sure to go Brodie and Vince or Gray and Newman (all on field).

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 02:55

JLT Might tell the story, Mids are very problematical and not considered locks by any means.

BeaglieBoy · 27/02/2017 at 18:59

I have never understood the concept of deliberately picking a guy with no chance of playing a game for the year and effectively playing with 29 players…..I can't imagine a team after the first round or two that dent have at least one player who is injured/dropped/suspended who can be used for that weeks loophole….and by the later rounds half our bench spots I filled with this invalids/idiots….why deliberately pick another one?

Holty · 27/02/2017 at 19:18

The rolling donut is simple. Pick someone who isnt going to play but has most his games late in the round for that captain loophole. You are right that most rounds in the season someone will be sitting out but you cant do much with them if their playing early in the round or worse Friday night. Its a personal choice, no right or wrong answer but you will be kicking yourself if your vc scores 150+ and you have noone left to loophole his score.

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 03:02

I have fallen for this many times and doughnut has always been ruck rookie but this year I think will be different.
          Even if you think you are going SET AND FORGET in rucks. (You need some cover even if by rookies with a chance to play)
          You must have some sort of swing set in rucks which rules out Preuss for mine.
          I will take someone that should at least get a game later in the year with a MID/ FWD OR BACK SWING.

Whitey · 27/02/2017 at 16:15

Probably falling for the pre-season form trap but….

Would people rather:
1, Gawn/ Vince combo or

2, Grundy/Simpson combo.

Thanks in advance

Supercoach Spud · 27/02/2017 at 18:36

gawn vince

Shake n bake · 27/02/2017 at 16:45

Im tinkering with having Rocky & Beams im my mid?? Beams M6 l have swallow M7 for now with an eye on JOM.

Burnmen · 27/02/2017 at 19:55

I wouldn't have all 4 of them…………

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 03:04

Disaster waiting to happen.

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 00:31

Get in the queue SnB! JOM, Swallow and Rocky all look in fantastic shape so unless they physically falter in the next fortnight they are all locked in my side.

Beams is the only one now who still needs to show us that his body is in good nick, so let's see how he goes this Thursday. But assuming he is fit and firing I see all 4 of these blokes lining up in Team Addicts. Just way too much value to pass up for the coin especially with the lack of decent mid rookies this season.

The Ranger · 28/02/2017 at 07:43

It's tempting to run an LTI based midfield isn't it?!
      Ablett, Fyfe, Rocky, Beams, JOM, Swallow.
      You could have four of the top eight midfielders and two value picks right there!

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 08:46

Very tempting ranger. The lack of mid rooks is making the temptation even worse. If I was looking at my current side at the end of last season I'd punch myself in the face

Swans2012 · 28/02/2017 at 09:15

I agree, unless something untoward happens I'll be rolling with swallow, jom, rocky. Beams if he turns in a performance will also be a serious consideration. It's all about the value for me….as we all like to say, gotta risk it for the biscuit

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 09:22

It's a risk vs reward business

The Ranger · 28/02/2017 at 12:08

I can't bring myself to do it despite the temptation.
              Fyfe is the only lock out of those at the moment.

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 13:39

The miraculous healing power of the human body hey. As I said about 6 months ago here all these pricks were probably going to be in heaps of sides – like it or not. Just too much value if healthy.

And it seems there are going to be a lot of similar looking midfields rolling out Rd1 which probably isn't the greatest thing but just the mathematical reality of the fantasy caper if you want to keep up with the Jones's.

Kev · 27/02/2017 at 16:45

Fantastic tool this, BvC. Appreciate it. Will be very handy once the JLT games are done with.

For the Mac users among us, the document opens with google docs. Download the file, google "google docs" and click on the folder on the right hand side. Click and drag the downloaded file into the upload tab and voilà! Supercoach gold

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 03:05

Onya KEV.

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 16:50

i think i've finished with my TMitch experiment. had him at M6 on the basis that Hawks had a good early run and there was plenty of opportunity in the new look hawks midfield.

I watched him yesterday and i know it is only early, but the cold hard fact is that he just doesn't look like a top 8 elite SC midfielder.

JOM looked classy and the whole Hawthorn midfield "machine" looked the same old, everyone playing their role and getting the ball forward. TMitch will do well, and as a big Hawks fan very happy to see him there, but he 'aint top 8.

seriously thinking of Swallow to Brodie (M7) & TMitch to Pendlebury.

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 16:59

if Pendles come in, might dip into the warchest and upgrade Adams to Shaw (D1), something not quite right about 3 collingwood midfielders. and i won't have to worry about Adams next injury.

what do you reckon fellas, thanks fellas.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/02/2017 at 17:05

I'm leaving my team as is until the end of the JLT series then I'll make a decision.

Possible change as it stands find some cash to bring JOM into the mids as he has looked bloody good first two games had a big impact, but will to pull the trigger, see what rooks put up their hands for selection.

Shake n bake · 27/02/2017 at 17:41

Thats why l posted about Rocky & beams just hard to have 2 lions in the mids only have danger no Selwood only treolor no pendals, hanners no jpk. Might find some more coin to take out beams.

Top Hawk · 27/02/2017 at 19:49

I have the same philosopy. I dont like having two mids from the same team in my midfield. I am going Treloar over Pendles, Dangerfield over Jelwood, Fyfe over Neale, Hannebery over JPK, but perhaps one only exception is Titch and JOM together at the start. (Not 100% decided on that yet) Add, D Swallow and SPP which would form my current playing midfield. I have avoided the likes of Pendlebury, JPK, Rocky, and Jelwood as they are getting just a bit older and like to back the next up and coming super premos. I am watching Coniglio very closely as he could have a huge break out season. Cheers SNB.

Keenbutclueless · 27/02/2017 at 20:24

The big sway towards Jelwood this time around is bye structure. I really need another mid with a round 12 bye. Really the only choices are Jelwood, Martin and Priddis. Priddis is 32, sliding slightly and no NicNat. Martin looks like he will have more time forward. He does still look the best choice of those three.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 08:50

i have got Danger and Selwood. Selwood is still in the best 8 imo

Shake n bake · 27/02/2017 at 21:27

My mids stands as this Danger Treloar Bont Hanners Rocky Fyfe Beams Swallow the reason why l have beams is l know if stays on the park will avg at least around 100 only avg 78 last year so should increase at least 100k-120k could be a great stepping stone!

SCaddict · 27/02/2017 at 22:56

That's the thing about Titch, he doesn't have the silky class of some of our super elite mids but he is massive accumulator of the footy in the Rocky mould. So he was still be an elite scorer even if it doesn't look like it out there on the field.

The same thing happened at Sydney. He just goes about his business without much fuss or fanfare and then you check the SC scores at the end of the game and he has 140 alongside his name!

Although I'm not picking him in SC, as I have a few other ultra premos I prefer a little more, I saw nothing yesterday to dissuade me from picking him in DT. And I reckon Clarko may actually LIKE him unlike Horse so he won't be doing any of that tagging rubbish at the Hawks. So it's going to be bitter sweet to see him running around in the brown and gold as a Swannies supporter.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/02/2017 at 23:05

Buddy to swans, titch to hawks

In a few years time be interesting to see who the winners are
        JPK massive win for the swans

SCaddict · 27/02/2017 at 23:33

Ha ha Trigg yeah I'm certainly not complaining. The Swans have done more than ok on the free agency market in recent years.

But it still doesn't take away my feeling that he was under-appreciated at the Swans and will now likely shine even further at the Hawks … so good for him no doubt.

Burnmen · 27/02/2017 at 19:56

You're spot on, he ain't no top 8 elite.

Holty · 27/02/2017 at 21:00

Fair points derek and we all should take on board. He will be starting in my team. Its the unknown that interests me. Averaging 104 last season and averaging 10% less tog than most elite midfielders. He will now be the main man in that hawthorn midfield as oppose to being a backup at Sydney. He may choke with the added pressure now or he could do what Neale did last year when he became the main man when Fyfe went down and dominated. I think there is just too much upside with Titch for me to ignore. The good news for the ones that aren't starting with him is if he is averaging elite output by the bye rounds, he may only cost a extra 40k to get him in so no big loss.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/02/2017 at 21:43

100% agree with everything you said Holty.
      Titch avg 104 last year despite spending 10-15% less TOG than the other Sydney mids.
      He could quite easily bump that average up to 115 based on extra tackles alone, extra time actually on the ground and we all know he loves to collect the pill being the number 1 mid can only add to that.
      Sure we don't know how he goes with a tag but most teams don't have a designated tagger and prefer to back their player to win the one on one and only apply a half tag.
      besides jom not much in there to take points off him, also like hawks early draw
      I do love 50 shades but really warming to titch
      120 in his first JLT game pretty impressive.

The Ranger · 27/02/2017 at 22:51

He's been in and out of my line up thru all of this preseason.
        Still not bloody sure.
        I keep thinking that if I'm gonna have Fyfe, JOM and possibly even Swallow then perhaps I have to make sure the rest of my mids are absolute rolled gold season long keepers who will play all games and be top ten.
        Titch could maybe do that but he hasn't got the runs on the board yet.

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 02:32

The real experiment that needs to end is the Cyril one.

I can hear it already ….. TWANG! 😉

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 08:46

He is still there based on i think he will be top 6 forward. i was hoping to see him get more midfield, but with JOM looking good i don't think that will happen. I don't blame them, when you have one of the best small forwards in the game, play him forward.

if i was to replace him, Gunston is looking good.

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 11:29

I couldn't fault a Gunston selection. Although not currently in my side he does seem to offer value.

However it looks like I could roll with one of your ex's I believe in The Chad at F2/F3. Never actually been a Wingard owner but if he continues to rack up decent midfield minutes in the JLT as had been the word all preseason he may just be too hard to pass up $100K cheaper than he was last season.

Was a top 6 forward playing purely in the front half of the ground in 2013 and 2015 and if this midfield thing is in fact true it's hard to see how it won't be the case in 2017. So will be keeping an eye on what happens in JLT2 and 3.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 16:59

don't put ideas in my head….Chad would look good at F4……

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 03:37

Derek, I see you have 13 replies to this comment and I am not going to read one of them until I have written My Opinion.
    Firstly it is TMitch first game in JLT. (Experiment) Unfortunately I do not have provision to watch these games and am very surprised at you opinion after one JLT game.
    JLT Games are purely for assessing ROOKIES IMO.
    JOM Played his second game and obviously caught attention of many. Can you tell me why TMitch did not play JLT 1? (probably giving rookies a go)
    Listening on the radio never gives me a true reflection of the game maybe but he obviously did enough from a SC point of view.
    Is there something in particular you did not like about his game apart from his kicking skills?
    Especially from being in a new club and being his first JLT game with them?

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 08:42

Thanks for your comments OldOcker, your thoughts are always appreciated.

My blueprint for picking a starting team is to select my best 22 (as if money was not a problem) and then look through those 22 for the ones that give me the best value, just saving a few bucks where i can, however i usually pay the price and have at least the top 2 best players no matter their price for the Captain/VC. The rest of the players are cash cows.

Originally TMitch wasn't in my best 22, he wasn't even in the next bracket of maybes. As discussion raged this preseason, i threw him into the team at M6 to save a few bucks and he has been there for a few weeks now.

On the weekend, it wasn't how he played or anything like that, it was just the realization, of looking at him in a footy jumper that he really wasn't, and shouldn't have ever been in my best 22.

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 09:38

Derek, I completely agree with you that the first thing EVERYBODY should concentrate on is who their best 22 need to be.
        I always do the same and reverse engineer that team and work out how I am going to reach that goal.
        Picking the most expensive players sometimes is necessary, but maybe the true ART is in the trading and understanding that the Most Expensive players will fall in price if they do not average 6 points above last years average just to maintain this years price.
        Stacking the midfield ATM seems very logical considering the lack of rookies in the mids.
        We seem to have plenty DEF and FWD atm.
        Much research has gone into my starting selections based on my Hopeful finishing 22 but that can also reveal surprises along the way.
        TMitch scored 119 SC POINTS with 77% Game Time and his average last year was 104?
        Like I said I don't get to watch but there is NO WAY I would be dropping him on his first JLT Game.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 09:44

Is TMitch in your best 22?

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 09:58

Yes he is, I think he will be top ten and more than likely top 8 with his move to Hawthorn.

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 10:02

Ocker's first invitation to a podcast.
              Fantasy best and fairest. https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/the-draft-doc

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 17:01

interesting…. i have at least 14 ahead of him.

however he does look very durable, so he jumps ahead of a few.

Maybe its my bias…still smarting from SMitch leaving

John · 27/02/2017 at 17:10

Adams or Vince

Thomas · 28/02/2017 at 11:30

Adams

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 12:36

Vince

Samboy · 02/03/2017 at 08:48

Both

Browncow · 27/02/2017 at 17:25

Like the Goldi / Grundy dilemma one will prob average more points per game and the other more for the season. I am punting on Adams health holding up this year.

GNR · 27/02/2017 at 18:17

That spread sheet makes things a whole lot easier, great work!

thoughts on my current team?

B: DOCH, ADAMS, LAIRD, TUOHY, HAMPTON, VICKERS (RYAN, GUTHRIE)

M: DANGER, PENDLES, HANNA, FYFE, NEALE, OMEARA, BRODIE, SPP (MEYERS (loophole) MOUNTFORD, HIBBERD)

R: GAWN, GRUNDY (PREUSS)

F: DAHL, HEENEY, ROUGH, BLACK, BUTLER, MILES, (BEGLEY, EDDY)

light in the fwd line and not sure about tuohy, will see his second JLT match but don't like any mid pricers up fwd and want to see who may become a new top 6 fwd to pounce on during season.

Derek · 27/02/2017 at 18:32

I think we are ok with defender rookies, should load up on rookies in defence. Get extra keeper in forward line. McCrae obvious choice

GNR · 27/02/2017 at 19:04

true, will save me a trade on touhy if he spuds it up. sticks true to my name a lot more too…..

Burnmen · 27/02/2017 at 19:58

What happens if Omeara is rested for a game early? You'd really want to make sure you have enough mid players and you've chosen a loophole player in myers you could end up with a donut/and or poor scores on that line.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 08:59

you hit the nail there burnman. For a bloke who wasn't going to play until round 4, and last night the hawks were saying that JOM is 'on track'. i'd be worried about him missing a few.

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 12:36

Rookies might play a few rounds, get rested for one-two and come back. We don't know how they will be managed. Same with O'meara.

SPP isn't guaranteed to be playing every game is he? I think people are under the assumption that job security is not an issue with him.

O'meara as M6 (and possibly Swallow as M7) is possible but you would want a lot of job security in your rookie picks and probably DPP to move around for when players are managed.

The Ranger · 27/02/2017 at 23:06

Very similar to my team GNR but like Derek says, get one more gun fwd.

Neverweaken · 27/02/2017 at 18:53

Going very different this year.
Def:Simpson, Laird, Murphy, Hampton, Otten, Guthrie: Vickers V, J Smith
Mid: Fyfe, Heppel, Vince, Watson, Beams, OMeara, Swallow, Oliver: P Pepper, Miles, Hibberd
Ruck: Goldstein, Sandilands: Cameron
Fwd: Dahlhouse, Petracca, Wingard, Ryder, Roughead, Parfitt: Ridley, Butler.
522k in the bank.
Can't follow everybody else. Took some risks. Ok lots of risks

Northernsoul74 · 27/02/2017 at 19:07

Way too much cash in the bank.

Top Hawk · 27/02/2017 at 19:23

I think you need to spend all your cash for a start. I like some of your risks, but a few of them are just to radical for mine. I dont mind Jobe Watso and Heppell to a lesser extent. My gut tells me they are going to play well this year. (especially Watson) Both have a huge desire/incentive to make a big statement after the last few years of dramas. Having both Petracca and Wingard? No way. I could not stomach that. Good luck in any case!

Burnmen · 27/02/2017 at 20:00

Good luck with that.

wombatsfc · 27/02/2017 at 20:13

I don't like the strategy of starting a fwd or def in the midfield with the intention of moving them out at a later stage. Why not just start them fwd or def instead of the rookie at D6/M6 and then have a mid rookie? Mid rookies tend to escalate in price faster that others.
    In this team you have 2 actual rookies (ineligible for real games until upgraded) and two guys fighting for the same spot in the same team in your backline based on this you get a donut in defense round 1. I'd move Vince back and drop one of your actual rookies.

Neverweaken · 28/02/2017 at 09:44

Not that many mid rookies. Let my def rookies make the cash. I think Vince is a keeper.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 09:01

a few years ago i tried a similar thing, you WILL run out of trades.

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 12:31

Simpson and Murphy are long in the tooth, but the least of your worries.
    Heppel, Watson, Beams, Omeara, Swallow are all slightly risky.
    Petracca, Wingard, Ryder could all stagnate.

There's just too many maybes and this team is so unlikely to work out well.

Neverweaken · 27/02/2017 at 19:44

Did a similar though not quite as radical thing last year and cracked the 10k for the first time. Like having the cash to take advantage of any trends that show. Vince will end up in defence. Rucks are a worry. Grundy, Nankervis, Martin are in the mix. Seems to be lots of resting in fwd line and sharing duties.
So few forward DPP so it's a challenge. Riewoldt and JJ Kennedy in the mix there. Thinking Docherty as well but loaded up on Def rookies as they show promise.

Damien · 27/02/2017 at 19:48

I'm hearing so many people talk about Swallow at M7 but I can't seem to facilitate it, I'm guessing these people are also going with Sandilands/Ryder/Nankervis at R2.

Burnmen · 27/02/2017 at 20:02

Probably yes, or loading up rookies on other lines. There seem to be a lot of options in defense and forward lines.

Jib_Jib · 27/02/2017 at 22:38

I'm currently going Sandilands but no Nankervis or Ryders at R2/F3/4. Despite fiddling with it all pre-season I've decided I don't want to spend that kind of money on a player for ruck cover who, at the end of the day let's face it, they are both pretty shitty picks. Given there appears to be rookie options for ruck cover this year I will be waiting to see if any of them get named round one and I will jump on. Failing that I might just roll the dice on Sandi without cover. What's it everyone's been saying about him? That we only need 6 weeks….

Burnmen · 27/02/2017 at 23:48

Agree going Sandi with no back up, I'm not compromising my team and am actually keeping some bankroll in case he fails.

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 03:53

Jib, definitely not a Ryder supporter here, I am going with Gawn and Sandi. BUT I will try and have some sort of cover through the swing of Strnadica and Darcy Cameron.
      Ryder will never be a top ten FWD this year and will need trading out anyway. There is NO UPSIDE VALUE in him.
      We have too many FWD rookie options this year to make money. I am very willing to take that risk in the ruck department.

Jib_Jib · 28/02/2017 at 10:29

G'day Old Ocker. I have the exact same ruck setup and cover mate – that's what I was referring too when I was talking about rookie options. Here's hoping Cameron gets a birth come round 1 otherwise I'll just fly solo on Sandi.
        My team works so much better without a Ryder or Nankervis or Boyd stinking up my forward line. I think they negate any advantage you might gain from starting Sandi. Glad to see I'm not the only one going this way!

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 10:44

I believe many would be thinking this way. I have had Boyd from season opening BUT we are now presented with cheaper options than Ryder. Nankervis MUST remain on the radar too. My idea of going with Sandi is to upgrade him to best ruck to go with Gawn.
          Sandi could well stay longer than most people anticipate as his injury was nowhere near as bad as first thought,
          For the last 3 years I have been set and forget which has worked for me but always loses money. but have had 200 or more point average from rucks.
          2017 different kettle of fish this year I feel as most popular rucks are over priced.
          Too much value in forward line for mine and I will not waste position on ground if I can help it.
          Bench FWD/RUCK swing with possible players. Risk V Reward.
          Just make sure you have a plan to replace Sandi in case of Injury.

Jib_Jib · 28/02/2017 at 10:53

If he goes down pre-bubble replacing him will be a real issue. This is the riskiest part of the plan. I won't have enough $$$ early to upgrade Sandi to a keeper, so whatever I do it'll be a waste of a trade as R2 will still need to be upgraded later. This is the risk v reward thing.

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 11:10

Fail to Plan and you Plan to fail. Must have a backup plan using this structure.
              Spend some time thinking about how you are going to do it and you can be a winner.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 13:00

i will be starting sandi plus some cash in the bank. the longer he plays the less cash i'll need to upgrade, its like earning interest on my cash 😉

Jib_Jib · 28/02/2017 at 14:19

This is very true Ock, but we also can't control everything.

A lot (for me anyway) will depend on mid rookies – If I don't have to take swallow as M7 then I should start rd 1 with 180k in reserve – that puts Martin in play as an upgrade should Sandi go down pre-bubble, or if Darcey Cameron isn't getting picked I'll have to chuck him in R2. Failing that those two options it'll just be fingers crossed. Just got to wait to see how the cards fall with the mid rooks.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 09:04

Swallow has been in and out of my team more than any other player. I take him out and i have these thoughts, "what if he kills it…."

but then i do the maths again and work out that a cheap rookie can make the same cash in half the time swallow will and i take him out again, but look around for the cheap rookies in the midfield….. and put swallow back in again.

Wenurpizzarollsdone · 28/02/2017 at 09:07

That's what has been happening with my team Derek, see my team below

Shake n bake · 28/02/2017 at 09:53

Yes they could make the cash in half the time but sometimes paying that bit extra on once a proven scorer being at 280k with 100% job security. Remember if he is able to get to those heights again will give you valuable pts and a great stepping stone.

Jib_Jib · 28/02/2017 at 10:33

Same. I currently have him due to lack of viable mid rookies, would much rather a cheap reliable mid rookie (wouldn't we all). I seriously doubt he's going to average much better than 80 but if that's the best I can do for M7 come rd 1 then I will start him. Just got to wait and see which rookies get names rd 1.

Jason · 27/02/2017 at 19:52

You wont have enough Trades or cash generation rookes to become full premo

Damon · 27/02/2017 at 19:56

I see so many teams with scharenberg who would you pick between him and thurlow. and what would there highest position be D4. and then if you had to pick one of them and or Hampton? what is the highest position for Hampton D4? thanks

Holty · 27/02/2017 at 20:36

He is my D4. But even considering using him at D3 since we are spoilt for defensive rookies this year. All depends if Brodie is named round 1 though. If not named, ill use swallow at m8 as im not confident with many mid rookies at present

Jib_Jib · 28/02/2017 at 14:54

Personally prefer Hampton out of the three, more upside than Thurlow IMO and I won't be going near Scharenberg.
    I Wouldn't have more than 1 of them due to abundance of cheaper def rooks and I wouldn't play any of them higher than D4.

The BONT · 27/02/2017 at 20:18

CAN I HAVE SOME FEEDBACK ON HOW IT'S LOOKING

B: DOCH, ADAMS, LAIRD, BERRY, STUART , VICKERS (RYAN, NEWMAN)

M: DANGER, KENNEDY, SELWOOD, TRELOAR, FYFE, GRAY, PICKET, SPP ( GRAHAM, MILES, HIBBERD)

R: GAWN, GSANDI (STRNDICA)

F: DAHL, MCRAE, RYDER, ROUGH, BLACK, GALLUCCI, (SMITH, EDDY)

$35,770 LEFT OVER

The Ranger · 27/02/2017 at 23:00

Looks good Bont.
    Keep an eye on Ryder, he was pretty ordinary in the JLT.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 09:08

i like the Berry pick. He will play early (just not round 1) use him as a defense/midfield loophole until then.

Luke · 28/02/2017 at 09:22

Similar structure to mine, so I hope it looks good. Berry unlikely for R1, upgrade to Hampson?

Seb · 27/02/2017 at 21:19

Thoughts on franklin as a POD?

Top Hawk · 27/02/2017 at 21:46

Yes he could be a good "POD", but if his time at Sydney is anything to go by, he could continue to be a "POS". Your call…… and good luck.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/02/2017 at 21:51

394942 if you wanna join my league
      Be great to have you on board.

Top Hawk · 27/02/2017 at 22:14

I am in. Top Hawks are back, and ready for a BIG 2017 season.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/02/2017 at 21:52

Hawk 394942 if you wanna join my league

gator59 · 27/02/2017 at 22:02

Already in thanks Trigger.. Looks a strong League

AuroraBorealis?! · 27/02/2017 at 23:47

I also joined if you dont mind, team name is Scorpions FC

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/02/2017 at 21:49

Enjoy the rollercoaster. Hope you have a strong stomach.

The BONT · 27/02/2017 at 21:19

What is so spicial about Mills I need to know what the hype is about

Top Hawk · 27/02/2017 at 21:55

Nothing "spicial" about Mills.

But perhaps there is something special here! The I and the E are way apart on the keyboard by the way…………No excuses…… 😉

Mills is on my watchlist in a big way. Not a starter in my side however.

Cheers mate.

Burnmen · 27/02/2017 at 22:14

Probably from NZ.

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 04:03

The BONT, There is great anticipation as to who will play midfield this year and Mills is probably the most likely suspect after JLT 1, Heeney was supposed to be the man but as usual Sydney will share duties.
    Mills is more likely to run through the mid from a defensive position IMO.
    Heeney is more important as a FWD to them but could will drop back to mid too but not as much as Mills coming forward.
    Just an Old Farts Opinion.

BigGregga · 28/02/2017 at 07:19

Totally agree Ocker, I liked what i saw with Millsy and i think that he is ready to Breakout.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 09:22

Mills is a midfielder. Walks like a midfielder, talks like a midfielder. he was born to be in the guts.

My son played with him in the swans academy and he was so far better than anyone it wasn't funny. he stood out more than henney did the year ahead.

Most people don't realise how big he is, must be at least 6'3'

last year he played in defence because there was no room in the swans midfield, he did very well, maybe too well.

TMitch is gone, there is room in the midfield now. I can see the swans trying a few others there, but by the end of the year Mills will be 100% midfielder.

Jib_Jib · 28/02/2017 at 14:56

Top 6 defender this year?

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 15:56

I reckon top 10

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 16:37

easy top 10.

I'd say by the end of the year he will be considered top 6. My only concerns are the second year blues and how much midfield time he will get if someone like McVeigh gets injured

Jib_Jib · 28/02/2017 at 17:05

I'll keep him on the watchlist, could be worth a sneaky downgrade if Adams goes kaput early

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 15:56

Bit under 6"2 according to Sydney website (188cm)

I was hesitant about Mills myself but have since locked him in my backline and thrown away the key. Not going with Heeney up forward though.

The BONT · 27/02/2017 at 22:03

Hey TRIGGER JUST JOINED IM READY TO COACH

The BONT · 27/02/2017 at 22:04

My team Is a bit further up if you want to have a look

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/02/2017 at 22:19

Like your team I should mine is a carbon copy
    Exactly the same except for mccrae and caddy and a couple of rooks

The BONT · 27/02/2017 at 22:18

I dougt that you will get the $50,000 without taking any risks

RISK VS REWARD

NEXT TIME YOU MAKE A TRADE THINK DO YOU WANT THE $50,00

Top Hawk · 27/02/2017 at 22:20

While we are discussing leagues, the "Guns and Rookies" league is open for 2017. Only SC Guns will be considered.

858228

Cheers,

Top Hawk

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/02/2017 at 22:28

Just joined hawk
    Cant see you in mine try again.

gator59 · 27/02/2017 at 22:52

I have jumped in Top Hawk,, Hope you don't mind

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 04:04

Shit that counts me out.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 09:26

what is the mid-pricer limit 😉 i have 3

James · 27/02/2017 at 22:20

Def: Shaw, Adams, Laird, Tuohy, Hampton, Stewart (Newman, Vickers-Wills)

Mid: Dangerfield, Pendlebury, JPK, Fyfe, Beams, O'Meara, McCluggage, Powell-Pepper (Bolten, Pickett, Hibberd)

Rucks: Martin, Sandilands (Cameron)

Fwd: Kennedy, Dahlhaus, Heeney, Roughead, Hoskin-Elliot, Black (Daicos, Eddy)

Thoughts will be awesome.

Andy · 27/02/2017 at 22:37

Can't really fault it mate! Looks good, well done.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 09:32

i just don't like teams with beams in them. especially at M5

bobby · 27/02/2017 at 22:26

whats the situation with beams? sharenberg injuries?

James · 27/02/2017 at 22:27

I've heard Beams is good to go in Brisbanes last JLT match. Haven't heard much about Sharenberg..

Top Hawk · 27/02/2017 at 22:26

Jordan · 27/02/2017 at 22:59

I currently have less than 5k salary is that a good thing or a bad thing

Burnmen · 27/02/2017 at 23:41

The salary is there to be spent on players.

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 00:05

Although I agree with Burnmen in principle I still think a little bank is good for some wriggle room to make rookie corrections (if need be) in the opening rounds.

Some coaches who are advocating banks over $200K just because last year's winner did may be a little misguided in my view. That's about 40pts per week you are giving up to your league opponents and will likely hurt your early rankings too. Anything between say $30-100K is a reasonable sweet spot for mine.

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 09:19

We know addicts never have any cash

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 11:33

Thought that might provoke a response ha ha. Shame I can't post GIFs here. 🙂

The Ranger · 28/02/2017 at 11:59

You absolutely have to get the right rookies at the start Jordan and unless you're a genius or bloody lucky you won't have all of them from Rd1 so you need to have cash to enable you to do some corrective trading over the first few rounds before the rookies prices jump up.
    There's nothing more frustrating than being short 5 or 10K and missing out on a rookie that goes on to earn loads of cash.
    I aim to have 20-50K spare.

gator59 · 27/02/2017 at 23:29

Have one spot left to fill my league,, code 909246.. Should be very competitve

JustAmug · 27/02/2017 at 23:58

2 things bothering me this year:

– Most people I know think GWS will be the top side. They are young, fit and hungry….. why do so few teams have their players? Surely the likes of Ward, Coniglio, Z Edwards…. are on the rise and will not miss games.
– With the wide bye rounds, why are we so worried about 2 players from one team on a line rather than players with the same bye? I'm keen on 2 dogs up FWD and 2 swans MID.

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 00:31

Don't worry too much about what everyone else is doing.

There's no problem with having two midfielders from one team, last year is clearly evidence of that Examples Swans JPK/Hanna/Parker and Collingwood Pendle/Treloar I could go on but won't bother.

GWS players are great picks.

These things you say are bothering you really shouldn't, as your GWS players will be PODs etc.

JustAmug · 28/02/2017 at 07:20

Agree Burnmen, cheers.

OldOcker · 28/02/2017 at 04:15

IN my ten mid positions I do not have one GWS player.
    This is not by design but more a case of Absolute Guns and other selections.
    I have 6 (SIX) MID players in the round 12 bye 3 of them are KEEPERS and unfortunately GWS do not meet the criteria.
    Ward was a little disappointing last year for mine, Coniglio is the one I see as being able to make the grade this year but I am PROVEN GUN in that bye round.
    Not sure why you think 2 players from one team on a line is a problem. Negotiating the byes is the problem.

JustAmug · 28/02/2017 at 07:22

Thanks Ocker.
      For sure, negotiating the byes will be the test for us all.
      My comment about the players from the same team is based on what I keep reading from others, doesn't concern me at all.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 09:37

hawks won 3 flags, very few of their players were SC friendly

JustAmug · 28/02/2017 at 20:17

Very true Derek

reff · 28/02/2017 at 06:45

you might want to mention Microsoft 2010 is not compatible with this spread sheet , don't know how many will waste $ just to read your views on rookies

Keenbutclueless · 28/02/2017 at 10:18

It's free, Reff, so not sure what you mean by wasting $. Personally, I feel very honoured to have such wonderful data given to me gratis. It's invaluable for researching rookies, in my opinion. If they asked me to pay, I would pay. I just don't understand your churlish attitude towards valuable free information.

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 10:51

Agree with Keen. It's 2017 not 2010 reff. Get a better operating platform & an attitude readjustment

gator59 · 28/02/2017 at 13:11

just download Apache, It's free and easy to use

Wenurpizzredone · 28/02/2017 at 08:28

had a play around with team last night and somehow fit 12 premos into my side but this has made so I have to on field mid rookies so I'm not sure about this move, any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated

DEF: Shaw, laird, mills, vickers Willis, Newman, Stewart (Ryan,Guthrie)

MID: danger, hanners, treloar, bont, Fyfe, coniglio, Powell pepper, wiggs (going to try and make him Brodie if he's named round 1) ( balic, hibberd,picket)

RUC: Gawn, grundy (strindica)

FWD: Dahl, McRae, heeney, roughie, black, miles (smith, eddy

Any thoughts would be great thanks

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 09:41

that is the risk with a GnR team. some rookies will need to be on field. You have 7 on field, that is about right for a GnR team. the problem this year is finding the 7

Seb(wenurprollsdone · 28/02/2017 at 10:02

I just changed a few things

Heeney to galluci

Balic to swallow

Pickett to Brodie

I feel there is less risk in swallow than heeney because my purpose in swallow is to trade him and my Prilosec for heeney was for him to break out and maybe a top fwd.

Heeney · 28/02/2017 at 08:46

Who's a better pick heeeney or swallow?

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 12:45

Why are you comparing those two? One is only a FWD one is only a MID?

Heeney · 28/02/2017 at 12:53

Yeah but I can still choose between the two

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 15:27

Their prices are 140K different so wouldn't it also affect some other positions/choices?

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 15:54

What I'm trying to say is…..

Is it Heeney + X player of lower value.

VS

Swallow and X player of larger value.

Harvey · 02/03/2017 at 10:17

Heeney

Dice · 28/02/2017 at 09:24

Any comments much appreciated….

Backs: T. Adams, R. Laird, J. Johannison, A.Otten/C. Hampton, E. VW, T. Stewart (N. Newman, Z. Guthrie)
Mids: Pendlebury, D. Hannebery, T. Rockliff, M. Priddis, P. Cripps, N. Fyfe, J. O'Meara, S. PP (H. Wigg, M. Hibberd, J Graham)
Rucks: M. Gawn, A. Sandilands (D. Cameron)
Fwds: L. Dahlhaus, C. Wingard, T. Miller, J. Roughead, W. Hoskin-Elliot, D. Butler (L. Tiziani, B. Eddy)

Love Robbie Gray and want to get him in somehow, don't wanna wait for the bye, he starts seasons brilliantly. If Beams looks good, he's in for J. Graham and will swap T. Miller for a rookie…..although good pod. Otten and Hampton depending on who plays, really like Otten – 9 1%ers on the weekend.

Tips for the year – Sydney for flag
I keep hearing of predictions Melbourne making finals this year – last game for points GEE 155 MELB 44 ahhhh don't think so

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 17:56

No Danger is a risk but even without him the midfeild is so packed of premiums

Dice · 01/03/2017 at 16:52

Thanks Bont

Shake n bake · 28/02/2017 at 11:30

Beams capt of Bris!!!

TRIGGER HAPPY · 28/02/2017 at 11:44

Who is the vice?
    They are likely to spend a lot of time marshalling the troops on game day as beams sits in the recovery group

Kev · 28/02/2017 at 12:24

Rocky

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 13:03

So he will be default captain again once Beams gets himself injured again. 🙂

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 11:45

Sounds like they expect Beamer to play some footy this season hey!

Probably a good thing for Rocky's game too. Not sure the captain mantle sat too well with him, especially with the team struggling on and off the field. He can just focus on footy now.

Shake n bake · 28/02/2017 at 12:00

Or do you think Rocky will crack the sads a tad since he did stay with the club Caddict??

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 12:07

It should sting no doubt, at least in the first few weeks but could act as an additional source of motivation. If he cracks the sads as you put it then it probably only reinforces the fact that the Lions made the right decision as he's not mature enough to handle the captaincy. So I guess we'll see.

If Beams is over his fitness issues then he's who I would pick as the Lions C albeit from over here on the other side of the nullarbor ha!

Seems to have a very level head on his shoulders and being in and under at every contest should earn the respect of the troops. Same for JPK at the Swans.

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 12:25

He only stayed with the club because no one wanted him

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 17:53

Couldn't care less

Nifty · 28/02/2017 at 11:38

WOW..

This is priceless information that you've provided us coaches with Barron.

Thanks Champ..

Doc · 28/02/2017 at 11:55

Any comments appreciated:

Shaw, Laird, T.mcdonald, Hampton, vickers Willis, Newman (STEWART, Guthrie)

Danger, hanners, coniglio, Rockliff, bont, Fyfe, JOM, swallow, (Pp, wigg, Brodie)

Gawn, sandi (strandica)

Dahl, McCrae, roughy, black, Pickett, begley, (CAMERON, eddy).

20k left

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 17:53

I can tell you know your shit that team is looking solid AF

Seb · 28/02/2017 at 12:08

Greene or McRae?

Jib_Jib · 28/02/2017 at 14:48

McRae – Slightly less consistent but higher ceiling, historically better averages, DPP.

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 17:52

Couldn't agree more

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 12:37

Beams rewarded with Brisbane captaincy for being the only inbound go home factor player

SCaddict · 28/02/2017 at 12:51

Yep family is family so should see out his playing career there you would think.

TheGreatBozza · 28/02/2017 at 12:52

The Tex Factor (Team Revision 999)

DEF: Adams, Laird, Mills, Hampton, Vickers-Willis, Newman (Ryan, Stewart)
MID: Danger, Hanners, Treloar, Rocky/Bont (undecided), Coniglio, Fyfe, JOM/Swallow (decision to be made at end of JLT), Powell-Pepper (Wigg, Miles, Hibberd)
R: Gawn, Grundy/Sandi (decision to be made at end of JLT) (Cameron – pending selection, if not i'll save the cash and let Strndica rot on the pine)
FWD: Dahl, JJK, Roughy, Black, Eddy, Pickett (Smith, Long)

I'm fairly set on my DEF structure and MID structure. Only changes will be either Treloar > Pendles and picking between Bont/Rocky/Selwood.

I'm still considering Sandi and using that money to go another 400-450K FWD but nobody in that bracket jumps out at me. Sandi selection may depend on whether Cameron or Preuss gets a game as ruck cover, as I'm not sold on Nank or Ryder up FWD. The other consideration is going JJK to Macrae but I'll see how the JLT plays out.

I'd love everyone's thoughts on my team.

Seb · 28/02/2017 at 12:55

My team is almost identical to that

TheGreatBozza · 28/02/2017 at 16:04

Great minds think alike

mikeg · 28/02/2017 at 13:13

If we had capped pre round 1 changes we'd all be screwed. I just can't stop changing my team. Rev 999 is remotely realistic 🙂

I like your team, pretty similar to mine. I've gone cheap in the rucks though. Still a wait and see for JLT 2/3 but the rest of my team looks much better with cheap arse rucks! ( Nank and Sandi ATM- yes god help me). If I go for a premium it'd be Gawn only I think.

Not sure how many rookies everyone will be able to get on the field. I'm swinging between 4 and 5 only based on performance so far. Obviously that means a few too many mid pricers… C'mon rookies! Fire up!

TheGreatBozza · 28/02/2017 at 16:06

I think Gawn and a cheaper option is starting to look very appealing. For me there is no clear cut no.2 ruck as Stef Martin and Grundy may have to share their duty and Goldy has injury concerns. In saying that I think Grundy will end up as number 2 purely because he is that much better around the ground than Cox & Keefe at Collingwood

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 17:51

Im almost looking into a mirror with my team but coniglio and hanners we are not seeing much of. Overall solid team

Jason · 28/02/2017 at 13:16

DEF Adams,laird,Burgoyne scharenberg,Keefe,Hampton
Evw,newman

MID danger,jpk,hanners,fyfe,tmitch,JOM,swallow,spp
Freeman,McGrath,wigg

Ruck fawn,martin rookie

Fwd dahlhaus mcrae,roughy,schoenmakers,Pickett eddy
Turner,black
$50k left
Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 16:52

Turner has been high on my radar all pre-season. hope to see a bit more in the JLT. What did you think of his efforts?

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 17:49

I saw Tmitch play on the weekend and he didn't light the world on fire. An upgrade to Selwood would be beneficial

THE NANK · 28/02/2017 at 15:30

top ten mids?
thouhgts:
1. Danger
2. pendles
3. Nat Fyfe
4. JPK
5. Selwood
6. Hannebery
7. Rocky
8. Parker
9. Sloane
10. The Bont
Maybe Cripps could fit into this list as could Gazza if he plays midfield minutes and as can Tmitch

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 15:39

I'd throw Jack Steven, Treloar, Priddis, Coniglio, Ward and Robbie Gray into those possibilities too.

Derek · 28/02/2017 at 16:34

my top 8 mids are:

Fyfe, Dangerfield, Pendles, Hanners, JPK, Selwood, Treloar………….. (Ablett, Rocky, Cripps, Parker – all injury concerns but possible top 8), (Sloane, Priddis, Gray, Bont, SMitch, TMitch……. – in the bunch just below the top)

Randomcliche2 · 01/03/2017 at 15:55

Thoughts on Jobe? I rate over Smitchell…

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 16:26

Jobe is a gun. Won a brownlow so he can play!

the problem with Jobe (and SMitchell a bit) is the game has changed from when they were at their best. Neither have the running ability that the top 8 elite midfielders have now.

Kevan · 28/02/2017 at 16:52

Agree with Derek. Not much more to say on top mids really, just plan to have them in for the end game.

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 17:46

Not sure about Parker and Sloane but the rest are good

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 16:30

didn't Parker come second in 2016 Brownlow and Sloane 4th?

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 16:39

Can be top 10 easily. Top 15 is almost guaranteed looking at last year.

neil demonsdelight · 28/02/2017 at 17:55

Dereks nailed it though not hard top 7 pick themselves no 8 any one of 6 plus injured players who I have doubts on but I will take FYFE Not sure about smitch being there Derek bit of hawk loyalty maybe

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 18:18

HAWTHORN FREEKICK NEIL NOT ANY MORE FOR SMITCH

Burnmen · 28/02/2017 at 19:02

You never know if he has an injury free season

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 16:41

Top 10. Danger Pendles Fyfe Selwood Hanners Rocky JPK Treloar Cripps Bont

neil demonsdelight · 28/02/2017 at 18:15

2 swans 2 pies 2 cats and I agree Fyfe Bont round off top eight maybe neale next for what its worth Cheers Pieman

The Ranger · 28/02/2017 at 18:37

No room for the Son of God Pieman? And Parker is the other one I've been wondering about.
    How does he go with no Titch? Does he get more mid time?
    I think this year is harder than ever to pick the top 10, that's why I'm struggling with the idea of picking six from the start and really hoping some more mid rooks pop up so I can only go in with five keepers in the guts.
    That way I can wait to see who gets injured and who steps up and pick them off when the picture is clearer.

INPieman · 28/02/2017 at 18:51

I hope Gary has 1 last Gary season left in him. But the forward time has me concerned. Parkers disposal bothers me. Won't get more mid time as there as many others to fill the void. The reason Pendles is in the top 2 SC players year in year out is his DE is the best in the business. He's rarely under pressure because he can escape to space & has time to asses & deliver. The 78% overlooking him are mad. It's definately a tough top 10 to pick Ranger. There will be some surprises

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 17:44

How is this for a trade YES or NO

Selwood, Sandi, Ryder
OR
O'meara, Grundy, J J Kennedy

I don't have to worry about injury with Sandi but I will with O'meara

neil demonsdelight · 28/02/2017 at 18:10

All winners mate just got rid of Ryder myself .Just not in top 6 waste of a trade later.Included JOM too Value for him and Swallow just too good Stuck with Sandy for time being but Grundy well on radar . Big Maxy said grundy his hardest opponent . JJK A GOOD POD.Wouldnt get rid of Selwood regardless of what I have read here I will go with both danger and jelwood and both pendles and treloar as well as two swans Just don't go with forum experts Cheers Neil

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 17:59

Is there too muck risk with O'meara and if he get injured early I have no cash leftover

CoachDamo · 28/02/2017 at 22:08

If his form continues it's difficult not to pick him. The injury risk is there, but he's still very appealing at that price. If he gets injured early you could downgrade to a rookie you missed out on before they start making too much cash.

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 16:22

i don't think it is the injury you need to think about. it is the games he will be rested for.

Big "if" plays round 1

Randomcliche2 · 01/03/2017 at 16:00

Straight down to a rookie on the bubble. I've never had a problem spending 200k on an upgrade 🙂

The Ranger · 01/03/2017 at 21:51

Trades are gold Bont.
    And because JOM comes with some risk attached he has to be regarded as a gamble that could result in you having to use a trade. It depends on how much risk you're taking on your other lines I guess.

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 18:05

There are few going with Gallucci and he hasn't even played a JLT game yet

Randomcliche2 · 01/03/2017 at 16:01

Yep floating donut with potential to make cash later…real smart play imo

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 16:38

Until another 2 of your rookies become donuts by round 3

Seb · 28/02/2017 at 18:09

At this stage I think sandi is the best ruck option because it's hard to tell who's going to be better between goldy and grundy and etc. he's a great stepping stone and if he performs like previous years he could end up as a keeper.

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 16:21

100% agree

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 18:14

So true but if he gets injured Round 1 there is a problem you . don't want

The BONT · 28/02/2017 at 18:20

J Lewis and S Mitch left hawthorn I dougt they will do well this year with no freekicks going there way

John · 28/02/2017 at 18:33

If you actually watched the games, you'd realise Mitchell doesn't need free kicks to accumulate the sherrin.

Randomcliche2 · 01/03/2017 at 16:05

I was thinking Lewis would enjoy Gawn hitting it down his throat rather than having to go collect the pill the hard way!

neil demonsdelight · 28/02/2017 at 19:24

Rucks really causing concerns out Ryder in Cameron enables me to get a top 6 fwd. JOM and Swallow just locks as is Mills If Sandy flops at least I have a bank now. 11 keepers 5 midpricers sounds good

The Ranger · 28/02/2017 at 19:51

5 midpricers scares me a bit Neil.
    13 keepers, 3 midpricers is what I'm aiming for and a lot of fingers crossed on the rookie front!

neil demonsdelight · 28/02/2017 at 21:10

I cant see that happening Ranger without seeing ur team but would imagine you have a lot of cheap rooks that wont play My 5 mid pricers are Mills JOM Swallow Sandy and Roughy who all go well given all are stepping stones Mills could be the exception could be a D 5 /6 with more mid time Also Range I think we need a good bank thoughts Cheers Neil

Keenbutclueless · 28/02/2017 at 19:58

I am at 11 premium and 6 mid pricers, plus 5 rooks on field (3 in def, 2 in fwd). Even then I am only barely happy with the onfield rookies in the forwards. Currently Miles and Cunico, with Cameron and Eddy on the bench. I think Black is a bench rookie only. Cunico might be Parfitt, or Butler if he gets upgraded. If Black is still the best option, I will be nervous

neil demonsdelight · 28/02/2017 at 21:18

None of those jump out Keen I think we need to definitely go F4 . I too have Cameron and Eddy on the pine with Black and Begley 3def rooks OK as is mid ONE BUT like you forwards a problem nightmare isn't it cheers Neil

THE NANK · 28/02/2017 at 20:54

Thoughts community
Changes galore, Goldy IS in R2
Def: Doc, Adams, Laird, Hampton, Newman, Ryan (Stewart, Guthrie)

Mid: Danger, Pendles, Selwood, Cripps, Fyfe, Mitchell, Brodie, SPP (Wigg, Miles, Bolton)

Ruck: Gawn, Goldy (Strndica)

Forward: Dalhaus, Gunston, Ryder, Black, Pickett, Smith (Cameron, Eddy)

Randomcliche2 · 01/03/2017 at 16:14

Orange Roughie over Rideher similar points more cash generation. Spend the extra cash on brodie to a popular mid pricer like omera swallow sselwood more points same cash generation…Cheers Oh use your injury trades in the ruck if required. Consider the floating donut in the mids/fwd/def rather than the ruck if prouss plays round1.

neil demonsdelight · 28/02/2017 at 23:45

This years midpricers are totally different to 2016 Last year we had UNRELIABLE players who constantly disappointed..Yeo Rich Smith Hall Greene and two who were brilliant cash cow stepping stones or good bench players LIBBA and WELLS .This year we have Kelly Jom Swallow Sandy all quite capable of doing a wells / Libba and two at the BOOKENDS who could well and truly be our F 6 AND D6 They being Roughy and Mills/ Of course we have the Richs raising their heads too Caddy Heeney Greene again are traps to be avoided like Rich last year. I think this year more than any some Mid pricers are of great value particularly with the slow emergence of good rookies and it wouldn't surprise to see up to 6 or 7 used successfully cheers NEIL

Burnmen · 01/03/2017 at 12:56

Jake Kelly? What makes you think his role is going to change?

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 16:18

it seems there are 3 types of Mid-pricers.

1. The true fallen premium (Sandilands, Roughie, maybe Wingard))
    2. The never-was, never will be a premium (too many to name, but Rich, BSmith, Higgins etc are high on the list)
    3. potential breakout young gun (Heeney, Mills, Caddy)

Patch's words are still reverberating around the community…….. he did say that 2-3 mid-pricers are ok.

I've got Mills, Sandi & Roughie. none from category 2, tried them and failed.

Rabbito · 01/03/2017 at 09:34

Hi Neil.
I do not think that Heeney will be a trap because he showed late last year, including finals that he will score well in SC particularly now that he will get more mid time.
Cam McCarthy is tempting at $203 because he looks like replacing Pav so will get games. I will be happy if he gains $150K when the round 9 bye starts.
What do you think Neil and community?

neil demonsdelight · 01/03/2017 at 12:20

Hi Rabbito is that from NRL Being a long term eels member one of many in Victoria rabbito sends a shiver thru me but no doubt Heeneys the pick of them and the more likely to succeed but not in supercoach will play forward .Looked at Cam and indeed tempting at that price nearly there will check him out Cheers NEIL

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 16:11

i don't think Heeney is a trap. Will he be a top 6 forward? at the moment he has a few ahead of him. will he be a cash cow, not really.

poloko48 · 01/03/2017 at 14:28

Thoughts on team #20 community, so hard to pick the right structure atm!

DEF: Doc, Heater, Silk, McGrath (MID), Hampton, Hibberd (MID) (Newman, Stewart)
MID: Danger, Pendles, JPK, TeenWolf, Prestia, JOM, McCluggage (FWD), SPP (Brodie, Wigg, Allison (FWD))
RUC: Gawn, Witts (Strnadica(FWD))
FWD: Dahl, Buddy, Macrae (MID), Roughy, Bowes (MID), Pickett (MID) (Begley, Eddy)

Cheers!

Derek · 01/03/2017 at 16:09

from what i've heard, Brodie has been killing it, where i'm not sure Bowes will get a start round 1. Put McCluggage in forward line instead of Bowes and Brodie on field in guts. Put Hibberd in Mids for swing set and Vicker-Wills in defence.

not sure about Witts. Sandi is looking the best cheap option

james · 01/03/2017 at 22:18

S.Docherty H. Shaw R. Laird J. Berry N. Newman T. Stewart E. Vickers Z. Guthrie

P. Danger J. Kennedy T. Rockcliff S.Coniglio N. Fyfe T. Mitch J. O'Mera S. PP W. Brodie H. Wigg N. Freeman

M. Gawn A. Sandilands L.Strnadica