Jock Reynolds Supercoach PodcastThe towering MONOLITHS of our great game.

This week we’re getting you first use out of the SuperCoach guts with some crisp audio based hitout to advantage.
Underpinning this robust discussion is the issue which has split the SuperCoach 2017 community right down the guts – RUCK STRUCTURE.
Half of us are keen on locking away two robust selections at R1 & R2. The other half are looking for some value, often in the form of Aaron Sandilands.

As discussed in the show;

Order you copy of the magazine here – you’ll have her in 3 business days!

CoachKings play-at-home is cranking again this weekend.. FREE to play and $500 up for grabs every Thursday and Sunday of the JLT CoachKings play-at-home series. Head straight to www.coachkings.com.au and adjust your strides.

We’re hiring CoachKings Venue Hosts! Click here for full details, or if you’re just gagging to get CoachKings to a venue near you click here.

Thanks to our play-at-home sponsors Fantasy Insider for their sensation support. Check em out here – and go absolutely NUTS on the LineUp Cruncher below to help you get your CoachKings team together.

Now, find yourself a comfortable chair, kick back & enjoy the show!

Clock Management · 21/02/2017 at 17:18

Can't wait to listen to this. But Jock the real question is

Where all the mid rookies at.

The Clock is not impressed with Davis Myers and his hand!

I N Pieman · 21/02/2017 at 17:26

Too much swiping on Tinder is my diagnosis

Shake n bake · 21/02/2017 at 17:40

Might have to make swallow M7!!

fatboyfat7 · 21/02/2017 at 17:48

Yep, I'm with you there, already been considering going from D3 to D2 to facilitate…

Winter · 21/02/2017 at 18:36

He's my M7 atm but I have 3 fwd rooks on field… cause had to find cash

neil Demons Delight · 23/02/2017 at 14:00

done already with dees delights .Rucks a terror.

Jib_Jib · 21/02/2017 at 17:48

Gawn, Sandi (Str) with Ryder at F3/F4.

Only way this changes is if Sandi doesn't make it for rd 1, or Gawn/Ryder gets injured.

T-Mitch · 21/02/2017 at 17:51

Gawn and goldy, no messing around

Seeker · 24/02/2017 at 15:43

I'm budgeting for this myself and it means with Swallow at M7 I got 3 Def rooks 3 Fwd rooks and Roughie.

Lachie · 24/02/2017 at 19:35

Isn't Goldy under injury cloud?

fatboyfat7 · 21/02/2017 at 17:55

Really starting to lean towards starting Ryder as my R2 with Cameron on my forwards bench and Strnadice at R3. Think he can average 90-95 and although thats not enough to keep him at R2, it is enough to place him well inside T10 forwards this year. It also allows the opportunity to see how the other rucks start and may save a potential trade by swinging Ryder up front.

Winter · 21/02/2017 at 18:31

Yeah I'm also doing this strategy, seems like a win-win for me

Holty · 21/02/2017 at 19:13

Ive considered this but only thing stopping me is the rd9 bye for Ryder. You happy to take the donut? Or will you be trying to trade another ruck in?

Patch · 21/02/2017 at 20:16

This is the problem keeping me up at night – I've decided to go this strat as well. At the moment the hope is we can identify who the next ruckman is by round 6 or 7 and he becomes my first upgraded. If it's Stef or Hickey hopefully I should be able to get there. If it's Goldy, I'm probably rooted…

EDIT: however, if Sandi is named round 1, he's in. I'm going on the provision he's not at this stage though

fatboyfat7 · 21/02/2017 at 21:40

I'll be aiming to have my new R2 locked away prior to Ryder's bye and he can sit on the pine up front for one game. Thats the plan anyway. As Patch says below, big Sandiballs may have a part to play in all this yet….

Krups · 21/02/2017 at 17:58

Gawn and Sandi (if fit ) with Strnadice at R3
Ryder in FWD line to cover

CHEFS ARSE · 21/02/2017 at 18:10

Gawn and Grundy for me. GGITYGGITYGGOO!

OldOcker · 21/02/2017 at 18:21

I am still undecided on Ruck.
Thinking I must stick to my usual plan and Set and Forget with Gawn and Goldy. I still have concerns over Goldy's fitness.
Strnadica as R3.
D Cameron as F7/8
IF SANDI is fit enough to get in a few rounds i will probably take the risk on him.

IF THE COMMUNITY are thinking of using Strnadica as a DOUGHNUT keep an eye on his rookie status. If Sandi is doubtful I have heard a RUMOR that he will be elevated and could possibly play. Source was someone supposedly in the know on Twitter from Fremantle.

Bruce paperclips · 21/02/2017 at 22:50

Hey Ocker i agree keep an eye on rookie status for sure if using for loophole, personally I can't see Ross going for the rookie early in the season if Sandi doesnt get up…Griffen is no match winner but has been there and done a job for him in the past… early in the season i think he will stick with what he knows, if it goes pear shaped again he might give the kid a crack…. Darcy and Griffen rucked in intra club lastweek.

bruderboy · 22/02/2017 at 10:52

Gawn/Sandi (if fit, fingers crossed) seems the way to go really. Ryder at F3/4 and Cameron as the R3 swingman who will hopefully get some early game time too.
    BUT we're a long way out and all the good ideas may turn to polished turds yet!

Gregory Simpson · 22/02/2017 at 17:41

My rumour mill tells me Sean Darcy is ahead of Strnadica in the pecking order at the moment, although Strnadica may still be elevated if Sandi goes down as OldOcker has stated…buyer beware.

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 18:41

i've heard the boy can actually play, bit to learn but has some talent

Seeker · 24/02/2017 at 15:45

What happens now that Zac Clarke is out for several months. Seems like Strnadica or someone else is that much closer to a rookie elevation

OldOcker · 21/02/2017 at 18:25

Bloody grouse evaluation of the Rucking department lads,
You three majestic men have done it again. (that rhymes i might become a songwriter ha ha)

Derek · 21/02/2017 at 22:06

Where's Wayno?

Bells E Bubb · 22/02/2017 at 12:31

Jail would be my bet.

Billingsbreakoutyear · 21/02/2017 at 18:27

Jock! I had dinner with the stkilda assistant ruck coach on Friday night and as I had hickey locked into R2 I asked him how he was going and he told me he honestly thinks longer is going to keep hickey out! Boy oh boy wowee talk about raising your pant. Longer is R3 for me now

Clock Management · 21/02/2017 at 18:39

Where did you have dinner? Was it good?

I N Pieman · 21/02/2017 at 18:56

Did he also say Billings break out year?

Bilingsbreakoutyear · 21/02/2017 at 20:18

Jack Steven actually said he reckons billings will have a Brownlow year, he said he is dominating pre season

Billingsbreakoutyear · 21/02/2017 at 20:19

They came to Wonthaggi, had a parmy. It was put ontop of the chips and that's not real flash.

Hazey · 21/02/2017 at 20:53

Hate that!

Kev · 21/02/2017 at 19:33

Did he mention Acres?

Billingsbreakoutyear · 21/02/2017 at 20:20

Nope

Holty · 21/02/2017 at 19:34

Gee not sure your so called mate would like you leaking that sort of info to the community (although we are happy you have). I know my mate ( who so happened to be a ruck coach) would be fuming if i did the same. And considering he is 6'7 and built like a brick s..thouse, id be running.

Billingsbreakoutyear · 21/02/2017 at 20:16

Was just a club night they held, I asked for SC reasons and he told me…. I'm just forwarding the info because I'm a good lad haha.

Holty · 21/02/2017 at 20:21

As i said, the community is happy. Im sure we will keep it in house.

Moustachio · 22/02/2017 at 23:37

Got me all excited… the kid costs more than bloody Witts!

Seeker · 24/02/2017 at 15:47

Watching the game last night and Longer definitely looked better in the Ruck for the Saints, so BillingsBY, you might be on the money there

HallyMate · 21/02/2017 at 18:28

Is there a high chance of Tim English getting a few early games with the news of Jordan Roughead's hammy? Suddenly looking pretty good at R3

Clock Management · 21/02/2017 at 18:36

Can't see it happening with Tom Campbell and Boyd

Holty · 21/02/2017 at 19:36

True

Moustachio · 22/02/2017 at 23:37

Zero, is string bean.

motty4 · 21/02/2017 at 18:34

"The sandi man can" lol

Winter · 21/02/2017 at 18:41

Downgrade Sandi to Darcy Cameron in fwd
Switch Ryder to R2
Upgrade Myers to Swallow

Rivo · 21/02/2017 at 18:51

Another podcast gem from the gang and a weekly highlight while we wait for the real stuff to start.

I'm sticking with Gawn, Sandi (Strnadica).Ryder at F3, adding in D. Cameron at F6. Multi insurance policy for Sandi and donut loop for big Max. Watchlist on Nankervis too

Kev · 21/02/2017 at 19:47

Same on my end, Rivo. Could very well chuck Sandi on the pine if he's not there round 1. Injuries and value decimating R2 options

I N Pieman · 21/02/2017 at 19:03

Ripping pod gents as always. If sandi roles out round 1 he's my R2. But there will be multiple contingency plans if it fails. I think you need to have bailout options

BlueBalls · 21/02/2017 at 19:08

Thinking about the Big Boy for R2. Probably doing most of it himself since Ceglar is out for the year…

Is it a bigger risk than Sandi/Ryder insurance?

I N Pieman · 21/02/2017 at 19:41

Big boys Av has declined every year since 2012 from 104 to 66 last year. Could be some value in his price but he's not a keeper. You could to end up with your name Blue Ball but far from the worst idea I've seen

ruckmansYEAR · 21/02/2017 at 19:59

if you think he'll get the nod over roughy and Vickers then yeah I've thought about him for a steady 90 points aswell, he's about as safe as picking matty kreuzer or Nankervis or lycett, big balls call if you pick him chief!

BlueBalls · 21/02/2017 at 20:55

Too bad they're blue and not big. Maybe Sandi + Cash is the way to go in case it goes pear shaped.

Ryder isn't top 6 Fwd or top 2 Ruc material. Round 9 bye smells too.

Derek · 21/02/2017 at 23:02

i think I'll go Sandi + cash, but how much cash? The longer Sandi plays the less cash I'll need.

Must say Higgins wasn't a big fan of the idea.

I do really like the idea of having cash available in case Sandi goes down, and if he lasts a few weeks, means I have cash to spend elsewhere.

BlueBalls · 22/02/2017 at 11:13

I'm thinking just enough to go McEvoy if Sandi doesn't line up for R1.

It's a risk, but no worse than any other non-premo ruck choice in my opinion.

Then as you said, I'd only need less cash the longer he plays.

If I need to jump off at some point in the season, at least I'll have some data from the others to work with in making my choice.

Derek · 21/02/2017 at 22:22

I posted that idea earlier. McEvoy is an option.

He averaged 101 and 104 when he was Lone Wolf at Saint Kilda.

Since he has been st Hawthorn, he has always had to share ruck duties. In fact there were times he was third choice.

Hawks used 3rd man up a lot, so will benefit.

Hawks main focus over summer is improving contest ball, especially at clearances (good for HO to advantage)

Ceglar out for year and Tyrone will play more as a pinch hitter, leaving McEvoy as clear #1.

Hawthorn have great early draw

McEvoy will improve at least to around 85 ave, adding at least $125k, perfect stepping stone to up grade to Goldy around Byes.

Jason · 21/02/2017 at 19:26

This isnt Ruck Related but is DAVID MYERS OUT FOR 4 TO 6 WEEKS!!!!

Holty · 21/02/2017 at 19:37

6-8.

Damian Durran · 22/02/2017 at 17:22

why?

ruckmansYEAR · 21/02/2017 at 19:43

JACOBS and SANDILANDS get the nod… sandles is sandles and Jacobs lost hitouts to advantage when danger left. Now thanks to jock mag and the 3rd man up rule change, Matt Crouch and Brad Crouch are both set to become the next beasts..maybe.. and Sloane is a gun already, throw in Thomo and the fact that they're a top 8 side i'm risking it and backing him in..

Holty · 21/02/2017 at 20:09

Risky with jacobs. Only value right now with that midfield you mentioned is m crouch. B crouch injured, unlikely rd1 and will most likely be eased into it through sanfl. Sloane will be underdone and 1 more knock to the face for a long break and Thommo is rumoured to spend time in the backline. They will be a top 8 side again this year but Sydney proved in the finals they are far from a top midfield. I just dont see Jacobs as being a valid pick. If you do select him, I hope i am proved wrong. Good luck

jockreynolds · 21/02/2017 at 20:34

Jacobs BAFFLES me. Reasonable on the HTA for years then PFFT. I reckon there's something more to it than the departure of Danger. Must be. He didn't answer my calls all year last season, any Adelaide folk have some clues?

OldOcker · 21/02/2017 at 20:55

Jacobs is having a foot problem and will probably be underdone.
        Not a good sign for a big Ruckman. BVC mentioned in a tweet a few weeks back.
        Came off my list immediately.

Holty · 21/02/2017 at 21:25

Cheers ocker. Did barron mention he had the problem last year? It would explain a lot.

BarronVonCrow · 21/02/2017 at 22:10

Not that i'm aware of, other than an injury to his ankle against Essendon in Round 19.

Talk was he had some foot tendinitis or something like that this pre-season, but I don't think it's something that's stopped him from training yet. I'm heading down to training on Thursday, so i'll take a gander then to see how he's moving.

OldOcker · 21/02/2017 at 22:14

From memory I think he was having an ankle problem but I don't think he is capable of getting anywhere near the top rucks even if fully fit.

Holty · 21/02/2017 at 21:10

Lol mr reynolds. Amazing that 2 years ago he was one of the best. Danger leaving being one of the best at clearances would hurt but as you suggested, surely not that much. Hard to put a finger on it but Jacobs does not have the best midfield around him. Maybe that hurts him. He should go to sydney. That midfield would help boost his points imo.

Kenny · 21/02/2017 at 21:45

Too slow for the modern game maybe. He simply doesn't do enough around the ground, no big numbers in the mark department, doesn't really tackle and rarely scores goals. The numbers are down with his main SC point scoring option (stoppages, boundary throw-ins) and will be down even more this year with the implementation of tougher deliberate rules. All this says Big Sauce is risky.

ruckmansYEAR · 22/02/2017 at 11:24

Cheers to the feed back fella. Still ??marks there will watch remainder of jlt with plenty of interest.

KingBlue14 · 21/02/2017 at 19:45

Hey guys!

I know this isn't really the place but can I get peoples thoughts/opinions on Heeney and Wingard

Heeney looks set to play mid in the pre season comp but Swans midfield is so strong I'm not sure how much of that time will translate into the proper season especially the way Swans play their football, just players playing their role with no much ever changing

Wingard is much the same story, will probably play a lot of mid pre season but not sure how that will translate into the season, Hinkley needs to rejuvenate his team so I'm actually more confident on Chad than Heeney

Luskin Star · 21/02/2017 at 20:39

I agree with your logic. Chads a maybe for me and Heeney a no

Kenny · 21/02/2017 at 21:51

Wingard had major interruptions to his pre-season last year and didn't play a game until Rd 1 (Port had 5 players doing this .. no wonder they were shitty!!). Radio reports are that he has been training for more mid time. Should be a big chance of returning to 2015 style scoring this season. Got nothin' on Heeney.

Derek · 21/02/2017 at 22:25

I can't believe I paid $525k to start with Chad last year.

Big G · 22/02/2017 at 14:56

Ditto. Round 1 I was laughing. By round 3 I was crying.

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 18:38

round 1, 125 points in the bank and i was struttin', even Lobbe managed a decent 82sc. by round 4 my season was over.

Patch · 22/02/2017 at 00:51

Wingard needs to get a new first name. I'm not picking a bloke named Chad unless there are two blokes lift in the world and the other one's called Sharrod. Don't care how much midfield time he gets – he's burnt me once and I've sworn off him. Also he's got a terrible flock of seagulls haircut.

Heeney seems likely to get a run in the guts. If he didn't have the DPP, we'd ignore him, but this year he might be worth a shot. I haven't got him at this stage but if he holds this form I might have to start him. He will have shocking games though.

Scott · 22/02/2017 at 02:15

It looks like Heeney lost the DPP. I still have him in the Fwd line on the basis he will run through the middle. Hope I am right and that he'll end up a top 5 fwd.

Harry · 21/02/2017 at 19:54

Thoughts on my team? Comments much appreciated!

Docherty, Adams, Laird, Scharenberg, Vickers Willis, Newman (Ryan, Stewart)

Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Hannebery, Trealoar, Fyfe, Swallow, Gallucci, SPP ( Myers, Hibbered, Bolton)

Gawn, Sandilands (Stranadica)

Riewoldt, Dahlhaus, Caddy, Ryder, McCluggage, Black (Pickett, Smith)

Holty · 21/02/2017 at 21:27

Solid team Harry. I like it.

Luskin Star · 21/02/2017 at 20:08

Interseted to here that one of the previuos win ers started a rookie ar R2. Cameron anyone?

I N Pieman · 21/02/2017 at 20:24

Big balls Luskin. As much job security as a Telstra employee that coud have their job sent to India. Forward line perhaps. Liked the look of him. Think he will get a go at some point

Luskin Star · 21/02/2017 at 20:37

Rucks have me totally spun out. Have had many combos, all ballsy, but have now settled on Gawn at r1 and no idea for r2. At the moment have cameron on the pine in fwds

Holty · 21/02/2017 at 21:55

Who is this No Idea fella? Most have him at R2. Anyone have any info on him? Cant seem to find any.

BarronVonCrow · 21/02/2017 at 20:21

I've had Gawn and Grundy locked in all pre-season, and I don't think I'll be changing it.

I understand the thinking on Sauce, but I worry, especially early, if Sloane, Thompson and Brad Crouch are out that there's not gonna be enough guys there to win the ball on the ground from the contests. Matty Crouch is awesome at his inside work, but there's only so much work one man can do.

jockreynolds · 21/02/2017 at 20:35

Whacking nails on the head as always Bazzlington. What's the go with Sauce? MUST be more to it that the departure of Dangerfield.. was he fully fit last year son?

BarronVonCrow · 21/02/2017 at 21:57

I'm not sure, but his actual ruck work wasn't great to start the year (Eg 41 hitouts in Round 2 against Port, only 8 HTA, which is just 19%), but he did start to get better as the year improved. Round 11-17 he averaged 105, but he buggered his ankle against Essendon in Round 19 and came in obviously underdone and got smashed by Lobbe and Giles in the next two games.

His actual hitout numbers didn't nosedive (nor did his around the ground numbers), but his hitouts to advantage fell below 30% for the first time since his debut year at the Crows. But not only did he lose Danger in 2016, he also had Thommo going massively downhill too. The pair of them have been the sledgehammer of the Crows midfield since 2012, basically bashing their way through everything. The replacements are OK, but both Sloane and Brad Crouch are more your well rounded types, rather than just inside bulls and Matt Crouch certainly isn't at the level that Thommo or Danger achieved (yet).

The talk around town has been Pyke focusing on them winning the ball in tight, which may go towards Jacobs having a better year, but I do have genuine worries that Brad is gonna spend all year on the pine again, Thommo will be trotted out every week even though his ability to impact a game of footy is diminishing and then it's left again to Sloane and Matt Crouch to try and salvage the rest.

ruckmansYEAR · 22/02/2017 at 11:35

My other th8nking on sauce is he has no challengers. No one will take his place.. if you can settle for a 90 plus early and use some cash on a def 100 plus somewhere else then that's where i like him. He has upside being he clearly wasn't 100%last year with his numbers well below what he's done previously done. So maybe not but i reckon worst case 90 plus with potential upside and a guaranteed 100 plus elsewhere saving me cash on what the gawn combo's i've been looking at can provide.

Holty · 21/02/2017 at 21:17

Agree with all barron. I was never sold on the gawn grundy combination but as we speak, they are somehow my r1 and r2. And it looks alright.

Dbag · 21/02/2017 at 21:12

Why are people taking donuts with Strnadica. Understand captain loophole but I can't recall having 30 blokes playing in rounds 5-13 that often in past few years

Gawn, Sandi, Cameron if Sandi picked round 1. Nankervis/Witts/Stef Martin if sole ruck picked/Grundy all on the table if Sandi isn't ready to go

Moustachio · 23/02/2017 at 09:06

I went through the 2016 fixture the other day and picked the VC/C that I reckon I would have picked without foreknowledge of scores. I was only about 50 pts better off than just Danger perma C. So I think if there is a ruck rookie with JS, I take it. Witts also possible R3 but a lot of cash to leave on the pine until he moos.

The BONT · 21/02/2017 at 21:41

Hey Community how does everyone thik them team is looking
after MYERS got injured

DEF: Doc, Adams, Laird, Scharenberg, Newman, Vicker-willis ( Stuart & Ryan)
MIDS: Danger, Pendles, JPK, Selwood, Treloar, Fyfe, SPP, Miles, (Freeman, Graham, Hibberd)
RUCK: Gawn, Sandi (Strnadica)
FWD: Dahlhaus, Caddy, Ryder, Roughy, Pickett, Bolton (Smith & Eddy

Hawks · 21/02/2017 at 22:29

Solid, like it.

Like the selections of Doc, Selwood & Treloar.

Holty · 21/02/2017 at 22:32

Not much will change for me. I believe myers will play early so will start on my bench

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 09:13

don't start him if he isn't playing. if he had DPP maybe think about it.

he will be picked up on the bubble when he comes back. Say he plays round 3, you can get him before round 6 when he is on the bubble

Holty · 22/02/2017 at 12:37

True derek but as it stands, he is sitting on my bench as we are limited in our midfield rookies. If some put their hands up and look the goods, myers will be replaced but i wont replace him with a midfielder who i feel wont score well. Just seems a wasted trade. But we still have a few more rounds of jlt so hopefully the midfield rookie stocks will turn around.

The Ranger · 22/02/2017 at 14:34

I'm doing the same Holty, unless another good option appears he can be my Petracca for this year – a bench player you can loophole for a while knowing he'll play at some point.

Burnmen · 22/02/2017 at 15:41

Complete waste of time, if not playing till round 3 that is just dumb.

The Ranger · 22/02/2017 at 16:30

Care to expand on that at all Burnmen?
            In previous years I have found that being able to loophole my rookies to get the highest scoring option was fairly useful.

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 21:19

Petracca was DPP.

Unless they have DPP wasting a bench place.

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 09:19

team is starting to look pretty good. How much cash you have left?

2 pies (plus Adams in Def) and 2 cats in the guts. i'm willing to wait on Pendles and see where he is playing. Pendles down to Sloane or Priddis will free up $50k to your "Sandi injury plan"

The BONT · 22/02/2017 at 19:21

i got $21,800

Sean · 21/02/2017 at 21:49

Gawn Tippett Cameron if tippo gets injured Cameron big chance to fill in

Hawks · 21/02/2017 at 22:27

Better options than Tippett IMO, also can't loophole as much with 2 rucks from the same team.

Borko · 21/02/2017 at 22:15

I am interested in the community's thoughts on Patrick Ryder. I have him at F4 and will use him for early points and possibly cover for Sandilands. Hoping he will be a top 6-8 fwd but, if not, will keep him as my F7/R3. Barring injury, feels like a reasonably low risk move. Also have Hartlett at D4 using the same approach … hope he is a keeper but, if not, will become D7/M9. Have 11 genuine premos in starting line up, running a pretty tight guns and rookies structure. Am I on the right track here?

Hawks · 21/02/2017 at 22:25

I'm not sold on Ryder. I think he will miss matches, and won't be at this best.

It's going to be tough coming back from a year off.

Luskin Star · 21/02/2017 at 22:49

I think you are with Ryder. If he is No1 ruck at Port as we expect then he will finish top 6 fwds, no doubt in my mind.

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 09:11

it is that round 9 bye that is annoying

mick tymms · 23/02/2017 at 10:22

round 9 bye no worries i think it helps having 2 maybe 3 goldcoast/port ryder hartlett wingard ablett hall swallow ryder back up 4 rucks hartlett D6/D7keeper wingard maybe if he plays more mid Ablett remember what he can/maybe score Hall always starts well then upgrade to fallen ultra premo swallow to cheap to ignore only my thoughts all the best

SCaddict · 21/02/2017 at 22:59

I think it's advisable to have some sort of ruck cover whether it be either Ryder or potentially Nankervis if he can win the Tiges No.1 ruck spot. So we will just have to monitor their form, fitness and function (i.e time spent in the ruck) over the next 3-4 weeks and hopefully we will be a little wiser by Rd1.

We got off very lightly last season with a lot of the popular rucks playing 21 plus games. I doubt we will be so lucky this time around. Maybe even Witts or Cameron will work out as R3 backup although both have question marks right now.

For those who brazenly ignore any sort of cover are probably only living in a fool's paradise.

lewy · 21/02/2017 at 22:16

can someone give me an opinion on my squad
DEF – montagna, Adams, laird, migrate, vickers willis, newman, ryan, stewart
MID – danger, pendles, Bont, Fyfe, tom Mitchell, jaegar, foote, SPP, Myers, hibberd, graham
RUC – Gawn, grundy, cameron
FWD – dahla, t j Lynch, ryder, roughy, Pickett, eddy, bolton, Kirby

Hawks · 21/02/2017 at 22:23

Believe Myers is out for 6 weeks, so need to swap him out.

Like the Tom Mitchell selection, he will have a huge role this season.

Solid team, with Cameron at R3, I won't pick Ryder unless I thought he could be top 8 forwards for the season.

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 09:20

i read this morning that Montagna hurt his calf at training and will miss the rest of the JLT, watch.

FotherMucker · 21/02/2017 at 22:19

Grundy testicles and Cox ! Classic.

Derek · 21/02/2017 at 22:32

If you are thinking of starting Goldy, maybe have Preuss at R3

Canny the Manny · 21/02/2017 at 23:13

With Sandilands at R2, even if he doesn't get injured at some stage, is he still a risk of being rested occasionally throughout the season? At 34 years of age, a history of break-downs and a coach that likes to shit on fantasy footy, will he play enough footy to generate enough points and cash and overcome the risk of selecting him?

Dawson Simpson from GWS priced at 155k scored a very nice 96 supercoach points on the weekend from 69% TOG. Despite this I expect his relevancy to be pretty low with Shane Mumford solid at R1 who will probably just swap with Lobb in the forwardline, but nevertheless, he's one to keep an eye on at that price.

Cromagnon · 22/02/2017 at 09:26

Freo's fixture has them playing @ Home, Adelaide, Home, MCG, Home, Home, Home. I think that Sandi, if fit, would not be rested for any of those games. IMO that's about all we need from Sandi, approx 7 games to reach true SC value (if he scores consistently). If you really wanted to hang on to Sandi Freo play @ Gabba round 12, would be a chance to be rested for that game IMO. I'll be trading him out well before then if all goes to plan

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 10:11

Agree, 7 games is good enough to have a look at the other options

@t_woof · 21/02/2017 at 23:39

Will ruckmen score negative points for sharked hitouts again this season?

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 14:14

HO to advantage +5

HO = zero

HO to opponent = -1

@t_woof · 22/02/2017 at 19:20

Champion Derek! Thanks heaps.

Been trying to get this one answered for weeks. It's a rort how this is missing from the official scoring table on the SC website.

The Ranger · 21/02/2017 at 23:53

Gawn and Grundy for mine. I expect Gawn to be the No1 ruck and Grundy to be top 4 and maybe better.
Got Ryder in my fwd line as that's the line I'm struggling to find absolutel, definite keepers that also fit my bye structure and aren't KPF's.
Roughead being the exception.
Hoping Ryder can be top 8 fwd but not convinced so he might become a stepping stone around his bye when the options are clearer.
Meanwhile he gives me cover and a swing with whatever ruck/fwd I get as R3 if needed.

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 21:16

Grundy top 4? Is that good enough for $520k

BDC · 22/02/2017 at 08:40

Community,
Tarquin Bishop said the community sucks
Never let him comment

One Touch Wonder · 22/02/2017 at 12:01

There are too many people swimming with the Shoal. Cookie Cutter teams everywhere. If you are serious about your rank you need to take some early Risks and pick POD players who have high ceilings and easy games.

My SHARK MOVE is to start with players who have high ceilings and can bust out a massive score

Docherty. Shaw. Hodge. Hampton. Vickers. Newman (Ryan. Stewart)
Dangerfield. Ablett. Cripps. Rockliff. Fyfe. JOM. Swallow. SPP. (Rookies)
Gawn. Goldstein
Kennedy. Dahlhaus. Cameron. Hoskin-Elliott. Knight. Pickett. (Eddy. Smith)

Tony · 22/02/2017 at 13:19

The "take early risks" idea is sound in theory but hard to implement. Of your Shark team, sure, some will bust out massive scores, but most won't and you're in danger of falling behind the pack pretty quickly.

I'm not advocating cookie cutter, though, but rather be a bit more judicious on the risks / PODs. I'm taking Goldy instead of Gawn because I think injury / third man up hampered Goldy last year and he was the king the year before. He will play the rest of the JLT series, too. Coniglio is my mid premo POD and I'm very bullish about him – a prolific midfielder in the best team. Shiel is a more damaging player, but not a SC beast. And Nankervis over Ryder as the FWD ruck cover. Just because I like Toby and don't trust Paddy.

None of these if ridiculous, but each is a relatively unpopular pick that means my team has a chance to grab a handful of extra points and stay near the top end of the rankings early until trading starts, and that's a whole new game.

I N Pieman · 22/02/2017 at 14:18

Assume that's Jeremy Cameron. For every great score you will get a turd. That's how key forwards operate

Burnmen · 22/02/2017 at 15:37

Isn't there a new scoring change in 2017 that rewards marks on the lead? This will help Kennedy and Cameron will it not?

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 16:44

+5 for a mark on a lead. nice

Contested marks +6

Uncontested mark +2

Tjd · 22/02/2017 at 21:16

What was the case last year Derek? Is this a change?

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 22:09

All scoring is the same this year as 2016

Holty · 22/02/2017 at 22:20

Wow did not know this. Have contested marks always been +6? Lynch will be very prominent if this has changed

Derek · 23/02/2017 at 10:25

always been 6 points.

intercept mark is 9 points

mick tymms · 23/02/2017 at 10:27

i had jeremy as a cheapie last year he was shithouse and thats being nice

Burnmen · 23/02/2017 at 23:09

For some reason I confused Lynch with Cameron. Lynch = Yes, Cameron = No

Burnmen · 22/02/2017 at 15:39

Goldies legs are a risk, Nankervis risky that he will just stagnate. There's nothing less risky from the players you have picked compared to one touch's, except of course their midfield but that is obvious.

I don't see their team falling behind the pack unless they get injuries, they are all proven.

Tony · 22/02/2017 at 16:23

You're right, of course. But that's because everyone you pick is a risk, because injuries can happen to anyone.

FWIW, Goldy has played 20 or more games the last 7 seasons in a row. His legs are no more risky than any others, including Gawn's.

The Ranger · 22/02/2017 at 14:41

Jeez One Touch, that's a risky midfield! From Ablett to Swallow they all have an injury cloud over them!

Burnmen · 22/02/2017 at 15:36

Other than the risky midfield I think it's a great team. Drop Ablett maybe for a pendlebury/trloar.

Moustachio · 23/02/2017 at 09:10

What did you end up ranking last year with these moves old mate? They are always fun to entertain.

AuroraBorealis?! · 22/02/2017 at 12:22

Are there any high ranking leagues open this year? I finshed at rank 2,395 last season and I'm looking for some competitive fun.

(proof) https://gyazo.com/48720402d0f044dcbc4694f91721414

BDC · 22/02/2017 at 13:47

thoughts community

Def: Doc, Adams, larid, Keefe, Ryan, Stewart (Guthrie, Smith)

Mid: Danger, Pendles, JPK, Jelwood, Priddis, Fyfe, SPP, Barrett (Miles, Berry, Bolton)

Ruck: Gawn, Sandi (sterndica)

Forward: Dalhaus, macrae, Ryder, Roughie, Black, Cameron (Smith, Eddy)

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 14:10

Good team

What is story with Barrett? Is he still on rookie list?

Also how is Berry going, will he be ok to get early games?

CoachDamo · 22/02/2017 at 19:22

Wait and see on the rookies – who's playing Round 1, rookie upgrades, etc. The rest of the team looks solid – I think there'll be a lot of coaches running similar lineups.

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 14:14

HO to advantage +5

HO = zero

HO to opponent = -1

INPieman · 22/02/2017 at 16:05

If Wells plays that makes Grundy more relevant. But it's a big if

hedski · 22/02/2017 at 17:09

Sick if being a victim of identity theft finally Pieman? Ha ha.

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 16:34

Sandilands likely to play in JLT.

"He's probably not as bad as we thought with his (calf) injury" defensive coach Michael Prior told 6PR's sportsday.

"I think he will do a bit of training next week and push for a bit of game time – if its not JLT 2 it will be for the third one"

Jib Jib · 22/02/2017 at 17:06

Great news

CoachDamo · 22/02/2017 at 19:20

Good to hear…Definitely like to see a reasonable performance in the JLT before I lock him in at R2.

Top Hawk · 22/02/2017 at 19:58

I saw Aaron Sandilands in a cafe in Bicton (near Fremantle) last week and overheard him talking to the barista when ordering his coffee and lunch. Sandy told him that he was feeling good and ready to go for the 2017 season. Take that as you may. I am starting him at R2.

First time I saw him up close. Man that guy is a monster. Reckon it snows on top of his head. LOL

Dee · 22/02/2017 at 17:30

is D. Myers really out for 6-8 weeks?

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 18:36

at least 6 the sounds of it

Mayniac · 22/02/2017 at 18:21

Looking at port's bye and then looking at tom boyd and wondering how roughie missing will affect scoring potential and ruck backup sitting at F5 – or am I just crazy?

Pitch 72 · 22/02/2017 at 18:50

No, not crazy at all Mayniac, the monkey is finally of his back and will outscore his 280k pricetag easily, and make some useful dosh in the process. reckon an average of 80 – 90 is not out of the question.

Mayniac · 22/02/2017 at 18:57

Yeah – frees up some dosh from ryder, no bloody port bye and job security ruck cover sitting in my f5 spot – something to ponder

CoachDamo · 22/02/2017 at 19:19

It's an interesting idea – Tom Boyd has been sitting in my 'Maybe' column for a while. My concern is consistency but could be worth a punt at that price.

Seeker · 24/02/2017 at 15:55

Just be aware Boys is coming off major shoulder surgery after the premiership. If not a total reconstruction, it wasn't far off. Having said that he played JLT 1…

Top Hawk · 22/02/2017 at 19:51

What is the community's thought on Dom Sheed over Andrew Swallow? At 267K he could be a little gem. No doubt about the kid's talent and can seriously tear it up. Cheers

Top Hawk · 22/02/2017 at 19:52

Correction; David Swallow

mick tymms · 23/02/2017 at 10:30

your mad swallows done it before and the weagles have priddis mitchell shuey all massive scorers id say no

Derek · 22/02/2017 at 20:35

Nice. Will watchlist him

Eagle · 22/02/2017 at 20:38

Gawn Sandy Witts
Ryder F2 Cameron F8
Welkum

Top Hawk · 22/02/2017 at 21:09

HMMM…. I reckon you are being a bit disconnected and ruck "centric" with those selections.
    Imagine………….Sandy gets injured in round 1. No dramas! I will flick Witts to the forward line and Ryder to R2. No worries.

EEEEEEEEEE Wrong answer! Witts, nor Sandi nor Gawn have DPP status. Back to the drawing board.

Welcome!! (Not welkum)

Moustachio · 23/02/2017 at 09:19

Huh? He would just play Witts. If Gawn injured too, trade Sandi to a fwd rookie via Ryder to ruck. Then when someone in fwd moos you can turn them into your more permanent R2 (Ryder back to fwd). Downgrade Witts to Strnadica as needed.

Not saying I would go this way but strat makes sense.

mick tymms · 23/02/2017 at 10:36

gawn and witts/cameron with either ryder,nankervis or even grand final hero t boyd with no roughhead maybe one of ryder/nankervis and boyd lone rucks will score just as much as up and down fwds

Northernsoul74 · 23/02/2017 at 10:52

Sounds like Nankervis is really impressing at the Tigers.

ruckmansYEAR · 23/02/2017 at 19:05

is Jon Griffen primed for a replacement of sandi?
named this Saturday, watch this space…

Russ in W.A · 26/02/2017 at 02:29

Anyone considering Nankervis rather than old Sandiballs?, I am, he looked good the other day and Maric didn't really look much chop.
Won't the first ruckman Sandi goes up against just be trying to re-break his old ribs again?..whereas Nankervis could thrive as number one Ruck and have a good scoring year…maybe, he did show some good signs the other day.