SuperCoach Significance Report: GWS v WCE
Mr X smashed his debut out of the park last night, spraying his significant SuperCoach intel all over the community.
It’s a must read in my book. Today we’re at the Narrandera Sports Ground (?) for the next match of the JLT Community series (??), henceforth to be known as the WCC (Who Cares Cup) for the next few hours.
GWS played a bunch of rookies and blokes that I have genuinely never heard of today against the Eagles. They were missing Mumford, Ward, Coniglio, Greene, Scully, Shiel, and Griff from their first choice midfield. Smith, Stevie J and Mr Paper Calves himself, Brett Deledio, from half forward. Heater also had the afternoon off.
West Coast didn’t exactly show up either. Leaving JJK, Priddis, Shuey, Gaff, LeCras and Darling home. Along with new recruits Smitch and Petrie. Which is just about every SC-relevant player West Coast have on their list.
A few of the kids stood out, Setterfield and Taranto in particular, but will they play early and often enough to make us cash?
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
ZAC WILLIAMS | GWS | $480,100 | DEF
You could look at his stats and say he had a bad game, but honestly he didn’t have a whole lot to do. That said, didn’t do himself a whole lot of favours to force his way into teams. 85% TOG
JOSH KELLY | GWS | $473,800 | MID
Looked a class above out there. 13 contested disposals in his haul of 29 @76%. Throw in 9 tackles, 7 marks, and 7 clearances it was a pretty fair day at the office. Pity he doesn’t have DPP.
LOBB | GWS | $406,100 | FWD
Went virtually unsighted in the first half but was better as the match wore on. Played mostly forward while ruck duties were shared between Simpson and Downie. Avoid.
JONO PATTON | GWS | $349,000 | FWD
This man is a beast and will tear the comp a new one one day. Didn’t really get out 2nd gear but when you’ve got a rig like that why would you bother in a preseason game? 5 of his 7 marks were contested to go with 3 sausage rolls.
TENDAI M’ZUNGU | GWS | $245,800 | MID
Will have a great year in the twos
I’m reluctant to get too excited about GWS rookies today. A LOT were missing for the Giants. Nevertheless…
- Will Setterfield ($193,800 MID) looked fantastic playing predominately on the ball, then drifted forward in the second half. 11 touches in the first half and finished with 16.
- Tim Taranto ($207,300 MID/FWD) is a smoky for an early chance if injuries go his way, but he needs to work on his efficiency. 10 contested touches and 81% TOG were positives that he can run out games.
- LachlanTiziani ($117,300) was BOG for 5 minutes in the opening quarter.. Kicked the first goal for the Giants but then disappeared.
- I was told to look out for Isaac Cumming ($126,300 DEF). He didn’t really stand up today. Bit of performance anxiety maybe? Granted even the best have struggles to stand up and perform when it matters sometimes.
DOM SHEED | WCE |$267,400 | MID
Sheed continues to tease. One of those awkwardly priced midfielders that might get a look in if he had DPP. At that price though you’ll need some significant, ball-tearing form out of him and I don’t trust him to deliver week-in week-out.
ELLIOT YEO | WCE | $409,200 | MID/FWD
Sucked as all in in 2016. Made good use of the ball when he had it. Please don’t fall for him again though.
JACK REDDEN | WCE | $348,600 | MID
What the hell happened to this guy? I really rated him at the Lions. Had 9 tackles today but doesn’t get enough of the pill.
SHARROD WELLINGHAM | WCE | $344,000 | DEF
BOG for the Eagles. Was taking kick outs and played most of the game. Again, terrible price puts me off. Do you really want a guy called Sharrod in your team anyway?
MARK HUTCHINGS | WCE | $386,600 | MID
You could throw a blanket over these awkwardly priced mids at West Coast. 24 touches but butchered it a bit. Won’t get much of a chance to shine when the big boys are back in the team.
I was excited to get a look at…
- Luke Partington ($123,900 MID) today, the blokes signed a contract extension before even playing a game a footy. Didn’t really fire a shot though.
- Son of legend Chris, Jake Waterman ($117,300 FWD) didn’t really get amongst it either. Only the 5 touches from 73% game time.
- Francis Watson ($102,400 DEF) was probably the pick of the West Coast kids today. Alas, he is rookie listed and is probably towards the bottom of potential SuperCoach rookies even if he does get upgraded.