Remember in “Ferris Bueller’s day off”..

..that scene where Cameron is having his own personal war over whether or not he’ll go over to Ferris’ house?

Ferris Bueller's SuperCoach Day Off

That’s me deciding on my team. When I found out Harley Bennell won’t be playing round 1, I was stomping on gravel in my driveway. When I read that Dayne Beams is also looking unlikely, I locked myself in my car, belted the horn and screamed as loud as I could.

When big Sandi did his calf, I kicked my Dad’s car bonnet in. Finally, when I realised that I was considering Nathan Hvorat as my M6, I tried to drown myself.

DEFENCE

GaveDay SuperCoach Defenders

As a pies fan I’m loathed to pick Taylor Adams, but as a mid/def he’s a must have. JJ is underpriced and the dogs will be oozing class this year, expect big returns from the Norm Smith medallist. Hurley, or “chunks” as someone once wrote, is my D3, check out my article on him for the reasons why.

My one mid pricer is Jackson Thurlow, near rookie priced he should produce a nice profit. Pies duo Keefe and Sharenberg are no brainers really, Bucks loves Keefe, I don’t, but it’s better the coach has your back than me. Vickers-Willis and Ryan round up my rooks, obviously that could change.

PERFECT TIME TO BUY YOUR COPY OF THIS YEAR’S SUPERCOACH BIBLE! SNAG ONE HERE

MIDFIELD

GaveDay SuperCoach Midfield

My top of the pops is Adam Treloar, super durable and in a midfield Champion Data says is ranked number 1 in the comp. No it wasn’t on April 1st either. Next it’s Rockliff who gets the nod for 2 reasons – Nice first 4 fixtures and Dayne Beams is a doubt. Nat Fyfe is THE must have of 2017 at 573k. Just do it. I was going to snag the Bont, but Dahl pips him with DPP status. New Bombres captain Dyson vacuum Heppell and Richmond’s Neon Dion Prestia round off my premos. I expect both to average at least 110. David Swallow is ludicrously priced as is David Myers. Sure it’s for a reason, but the SC gods are chucking us some bones here. Rookie wise Freeman and Dr. Hibberb are “locked in”, the latter gives me the swing set with Adams which could prove crucial. Pickett makes the cut for now.

GAVE IS ON THE HIGHWAY TO THE NO-DANGER ZONE! HEAR ALL ABOUT IT IN THIS WEEK’S PODCAST

RUCKS

Gaveday SuperCoach RucksFortune favours the brave….. Stef Martin is my R1. Injury and rotation ruined his 2016 and I’m backing a return to form under new coach Chris Fagan. Jarrod Witts is my R2 place holder, if he gets named as the Suns R1 he’s a steal at 217k. Strnadica is the obvious R3 considering Freo’s fixtures, he also creates a swing with Paddy Ryder, becoming trade saving ruck insurance.

FORWARDS

Gaveday SuperCoach FWDS

Jack Macrae is targeting more CP this year and with DPP he was my first forward selected. Similar story with Caddy, with a few DPP’s in the mid and lean forward options I look at these 2 as top forward point scorers who’ll save trades. Heeney will get DPP next year, but this year at 433k, with more time in the mid, he’s got to be in consideration. He’s got talent to spare.  Ryder, as mentioned earlier creates the ruck swing.  Roughie is another bargain who may well become a keeper.  Luggage and Bowes secure their spots for now, DPP rookies with plenty of TOG on the offing are enticing. While Port’s Eddy finishes it all off. Way too cheap to ignore, but I’m wary of SANFL mature age recruits. Remember that Butcher fellow?

So there you have it.

I should mention that Jackson Thurlow may get the boot and Sandi may find his way into my team if Witts isn’t given the nod. Into the season I’ll be looking to import JOM, Bennell and Beams on the cheap and I’m hoping none of them plays until round 3.  Lastly, I may hit “clear team” then “auto fill” and just let it ride. In case you didn’t know I haven’t won Supercoach before, so what makes me think I can do better than the machine?

Excuse me while I go sit in my car…….

Ferris-Bueller-SuperCoach-Day-Off

GAVEDAY

@GAVEDAY

Tommo09 · 15/02/2017 at 21:28

Interesting team but I like it?

No Danger, Gawn, Docherty or Shaw is ballsy but could work very well!

jockreynolds · 15/02/2017 at 21:29

I can't tell you how much I respect A) the bravery and B) the 'outside the box' approach to this lineup as well Tommo. At the very least – a real thought provoker!

Much respect to GaveDays testicular fortifications!

Whooshka!! · 15/02/2017 at 22:10

C'mon Jock…there's brave, there's courageous, there's outside the box…and then there's just the downright insane!!
      No Danger – thats just giving points away willy nilly
      Mid price Madness…more like Medical Madness – half of this bloody team is stuck together with sticky tape!!
      Witts as the R2 – well there's only room for one ****witt here
      Dahl in the midfield not the forward line – whats next Caleb Daniels in the Ruck?
      I urge you to have stern words with GaveDays my good friend…Save his bloody soul!!

jockreynolds · 15/02/2017 at 22:33

Gave's soul is as free and peaceful an entity as I have encountered. What he presents at the altar this day is a sacrifice of significance – a sacrifice for the good of the community. A refreshing zephyr of difference in a sometimes vanilla sky preseason landscape.

I bloody love this game.

Whooshka!! · 16/02/2017 at 09:04

Jock, you are truly a gift from a world beyond this one…your ability to find a glimmer of hope in the despairs of darkness is amazing…your capacity to look to the positive as us mere mortals crumble around you year after year is inspiring….and your passion for this beautiful game within a game within a game is akin to the ingeniousness of Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie Inception.
          I blood love how much you love this game!!

jockreynolds · 16/02/2017 at 13:58

Whooshka.. I bloody love. How you love. How I love. This incredible game. And let's not kid ourselves – its not a game. Its a majestic way of life. I love you mate.

Whooshka!! · 16/02/2017 at 14:23

Jock…I bloody concur my good friend…this love of the love for this marvellous Life of Supercoach is what its all about!! Valentines Day I scoff at you…you have nothing on the love and the bond between us Supercoachers! Jock we need to name a day on the Calendar in your honour mate! Keep up the great work
              #top1000thisyearisthegoal

hedski · 15/02/2017 at 21:32

JEEEE-ZUS Gave, please tell me I didn't give up my spot in Trigs happy place for that team?
Ha ha. Had most of them in my side but not all at once!!!
Quality mate this'll stir the pot.

jockreynolds · 15/02/2017 at 21:34

Gotta tell ya Hed – this team reveal excites the old romantic in me. Absolutely love being presented with a completely different canvas of left field possibility. Hows the beautiful spuds on the Gave man!

hedski · 15/02/2017 at 21:37

Massive spuds and possibly mashed Jock mate!

jockreynolds · 15/02/2017 at 21:51

haaaa – it's like a cold bucket of water chucked over the old face isn't it? Not for me – but respect to The Gave

hedski · 15/02/2017 at 21:35

P.S. How's the kitty after that Gav?

Gaveday · 15/02/2017 at 21:57

oh there's a spot now!?!?!? Didn't know. Must check the older threads.

Jakob · 15/02/2017 at 21:33

How do you sleep at night with Witts at R2?

jockreynolds · 15/02/2017 at 21:35

Not as crazy as it sounds I reckon.. esp when & if we look towards our MID rookies and find there's stuff all there.. I reckon it's fat chew worthy

T-Mitch · 15/02/2017 at 22:00

I hate myself for saying it, but witts at r2 if he gets the nod is not a bad choice, he's a high priced rookie and can upgrade to who ever is the best ruckman pre bye (goldy/Martin/grundy) but geezus I would not have him at r2 without Gawn at r1!!!!!

Jakob · 15/02/2017 at 22:09

Not necessarily a bad choice but certainly a risky one. I think I read below he's pairing him with Sandi now, incredible courage.

Holty · 15/02/2017 at 22:37

Honestly, i think if he is given the r1 spot at gold coast, wouldnt be surprised if plenty jump off sandi and go witts.

Jakob · 15/02/2017 at 22:50

I don't see what others see in him but I may be blinded by my conservatism when it comes to ruckmen.

Kev · 15/02/2017 at 22:59

With ya there, Jakob. Will he ruck solo until his bye? Unlikely. Nicholls will be challenging

Holty · 15/02/2017 at 23:02

Ive always been a set and forget person with rucks but have some uncertainty this year. Goldy mummy nic nat injured. Grundy only has had 1 good year and it wasnt great. Martin has come off a stinking year so slightly unsure. I guess going with sandi or witts will give you time to figure who will be your r2 by seasons end

BzBman8 · 17/02/2017 at 14:46

Don't forget Holty that Grundy isn't even 23 yet. Has improved dramatically over the last 2 years way faster than most big men do. Martin is 30 now and has only had 2 good years, of high quality for sure.
          Grundy averaged 107 in the last ten games of the season and looked like he was possessed most of the time.
          Kids got heart!

If the pies do push for top 8 with ruckman aided by no third man up i expect grundy to be a 105+ avg ruckman.
          Keep a close eye on him!

John · 15/02/2017 at 21:37

I'm not a fan of this team personally, but that is what makes Supercoach so great. Everyone has their own individual team, and there is no right or wrong way to go about selecting a team, only at seasons end will we know whether these selections were the right or wrong.

Question – Do you see Heppel and Presita as keepers come seasons end? I personally would prefer to select the premos who we know will definitely finish near the top 10.

*** Please at least put Danger in your team ***

Gaveday · 15/02/2017 at 21:51

They are risks no doubt – Heppel as captain should lift and if you see his last full season you just see triple figures everywhere. Prestia has the ability to go 130's. But I should tell you I've caved in on selecting him….. For now and I've gone Cripps instead.

But yes. I believe. Or want to believe.

Gaveday · 15/02/2017 at 21:38

Cheers boys. I'm "that" guy – the one who gets the absurd score in the week everyone flops.
But I also don't tend to win a lot of leagues…… It should be noted I've made 4 changes already and I've replaced Prestia with Cripps + thurlow with McGrath + Martin with Sandi and Pickett with JOM.

Yeah Sandi and Witts r1+r2…..

I've got 168k in the bank. And I must say, I'm a happier man with my newer line up.

jockreynolds · 15/02/2017 at 21:44

Never been prouder of you Gaveday. Never been prouder son. My old man had a saying..

"Don't plow North > South just because the prick in the next paddock does as well"

John said it bloody well above ".. this is what makes SuperCoach so great"

Gaveday · 15/02/2017 at 21:55

You're a great man Jock, the Community spirit on display here is nothing short of inspirational.
      Faith in humanity is restored.
      Y'know… Last season I traded aggressively early and managed to get 1 mill in the bank by round 12. I was all set to storm home and got savaged by injury. I snagged a week high rank of 77, which would've won by 150 points if I captained Rockliff againgst the blues.

hedski · 15/02/2017 at 21:55

I actually like Thurlow over McGrath Gav, but I'm a catta.

Luskin Star · 16/02/2017 at 01:24

Good move on cripps. His average over the last third of last year was 127. That my frjend was more than ANTBODY. One more change you must make. Get Dahl out of midfield. If you want him he has to be a fwd. If he averages 105 he will be top scoring fwd. Where do you think 105 would place hi as a mid?

Boris · 16/02/2017 at 14:40

Who is this gun known as ANTBODY? Is he related to ANTMAN? Maybe the lovechild of Tony ANTrobus and Elle "The Body" Mcpherson? Sounds like the ANTithesis of Steve Morris. Is he related to Bugg or Roach?

Luskin Star · 16/02/2017 at 21:12

Haha, Unfortunately Boris i am cursed with fat fingers and a small keyboard.

Billy · 15/02/2017 at 21:41

Wowee Gave your pills must be bursting out of your strides with the amount of risk thats gone into this side! Don't reckon there's much middle ground with here, you'll either be spectacuarly successful or fall on your face.. hope its the former for your sake old mate! Good luck

LEKD0G · 15/02/2017 at 21:45

I love you mate but I'm having heart palpitations thinking about this rollercoaster, I LOVE IT!

I however am playing more conservatively this season but trialing a 5 premo mid at present, no Gawn for me either.

jockreynolds · 15/02/2017 at 21:48

Gets the blood crankin through the old pipes doesn't it LDawg!!!

TRIGGER HAPPY · 15/02/2017 at 22:01

Lek would love for you to come join my league with all the regulars.
    I have reserved you a spot if u wanna jump in?
    394942

Gaveday · 15/02/2017 at 22:08

cheers LEK, I suppose someone had to do it. I've just traded out Roughie for Cam McCarthy.

Let the ride begin.

Nick Wealands · 15/02/2017 at 21:51

Ballsy formula this one Gav, I think however you are a bit thin in the midfield premo department. That's an area where you want season long keepers and I don't see a man like Prestia being that. However love the guts especially in that forward line

TRIGGER HAPPY · 15/02/2017 at 22:07

Hey Nick

Is your team name Sandilands FC?

Jakob · 15/02/2017 at 22:14

Are you the Nick Wealands I still owe a nudie run to?

SilverFox19 · 15/02/2017 at 21:51

How much cash do you have left Gavedsy?

TRIGGER HAPPY · 15/02/2017 at 21:52

To quote frank off everybody loves raymond "holy crap!"
That is one helluva lone wolf pod a plenty side.
I don't even know where to start – i'll have to read that team again …..

Still shaking my head i like the way you have limited the number of rooks on field
As henski said there is a spot for you in my league – 394942.
You gotta join be fascinating to see how you go.

I hope by mid year we aren't shaking the tin saying save gave, save gave.

I've said it before I'll say it again – DANGER – don't be a maverick or a goose just pick him.

Gaveday · 15/02/2017 at 22:05

I want danger but I'm operating on the theory he'll drop by 50k-80k by round 6. I'll end up with him. Also Treloar is a gun. Rocky can score 200+ and Fyfe will likely be top 3 mid. I'd love Bont – he's a top 5 mid in my book, but my book is worn, pages are missing, the print is smeared.

hedski · 16/02/2017 at 08:02

Sry for the confusion last night Trigger.
    The old beer goggles auto corrected that to "and hedski there's a spot there for ya", ha ha.
    Felt like a bit of a goose!
    Anyway can't wait to get crackin into CK tonight, FOOTYS BACK….

TRIGGER HAPPY · 16/02/2017 at 12:52

Can make a spot if u want one
      Thought it was way funny he's in, nah out, in ….
      Meanwhile gave is still not in.

hedski · 16/02/2017 at 12:56

Get him in first mate.

The Stiv · 15/02/2017 at 21:55

A lone wolf if I've ever seen one. Good to see a bit of variety. I can't explain in words just how sick looking at your team makes me feel but bloody hell, if it makes sense to you go for it.

MorrowSC · 15/02/2017 at 21:56

You'll be having many sleepless nights this year if you rock with that set up! A few selections may come through as top selections, but too many of them will flop. Hoping it's a stitch up!! 😉 all the best for the season anyway, might be a chance at winning the weekly prize with some luck.
I'll be "that guy" and throw in my updated V4 squad for some feedback/discussion, far more conservative than you Gaveday! Few sneaky pods and going deep in the mid looks good to me.

DEF:
Shaw, Rance, Laird, Scharernberg, Stewart, Ryan (Hibberd, Newman)

MID:
Danger, Haneberry, Selwood, Treloar, Sloane, Fyfe, Myers, Powell-Pepper (Freeman, Pickett, Graham)

RUCK:
Gawn, Sandi (Strnadica)

FORWARD:
Dahlahus, Lynch, Caddy, Bowes, Galluci, Bolton (Smith, Eddy).

– SANDI STRATEGY –
Running the risk of Sandi in the ruck, but I have $160k left in the kitty in case he goes down in the first three rounds,.. will have a corrective trade to Ryder being able to take place.. would essentially mean I run Ryder as R2 for a few weeks until I can build up a forward rookie to upgrade to the 2nd best ruck that looks the most enticing (and swing Ryder back into the forward line with the intent on finishing as F7 ruck/fwd cover + loophole).

MorrowSC · 15/02/2017 at 21:57

Also looking for competitive leagues to join with QUALITY coaches, finished top 1,500 and 800 last two years respectively. Aiming for top 200 this year so if you have any solid league codes let us know!

Phildev · 15/02/2017 at 23:57

Hi Morrow. Can join solid league at 497520. Half the league finished top 5000. Last year with all but 2 top 20000. Those 2 have now been omitted. Love to have you

MorrowSC · 16/02/2017 at 09:15

I'll sign up! Cheers mate.

Bombers56 · 16/02/2017 at 09:46

Just joined, finished 3,497 last year.
          Peter

Shaun · 15/02/2017 at 22:04

Looks like a team loaded with as many value options as possible. Worry about the balance… maybe a few too many risks but definitely a brave team

Gaveday · 15/02/2017 at 22:11

I love a bargain! Subsequently JOM is now in my team. Bennell and Beams would allow me to turn a thurlow type into a Docherty type. And I'm by no means finalised. I was put on the spot by jock, and I thought I'd just go with what I had at the time and try explain myself.

Ergo the self depreciating humour.

Dan · 15/02/2017 at 22:08

I'd like to know your reasoning behind putting Dahl in the mids?

Gaveday · 15/02/2017 at 22:31

Excellent question and one I should've addressed. I'll cash cow trade a DPP Fwd/mid like luggage and put Dahl in the fwd line mid year, hoping to convert luggage into a Cat or Swan.

Scouser · 17/02/2017 at 04:29

Dosen'r need to be DPP Gave, just trade a fwd.out, swing in and add a mid into his spot. I actually really like this as have been thinking the samenmyself but running Paddy as R2. Reasoning, fwd line is where I tjink we can take the most risks this year sonjaving someone you think with fwd dpp beefing up another line to start saves you a trade later on whilst giving you decent points generation. Cheers mate and great to see something completely different, testicular fortitude crown taken and owned!

Jordan · 15/02/2017 at 22:10

Do you think it is too risky starting with McRae Dalhousie and liber in the forward line

Danners · 15/02/2017 at 22:13

Interesting Gaveday, you must have a high testicular fortitude with some of those selections. Not really a lot of top end talent but a few good POD selections (Prestia, Hurley?, Stef). Just curious why you have Dahlhaus in your mids when you have Pickett already there? Otherwise solid POD filled team

Gaveday · 15/02/2017 at 22:32

Pocket was a filler, Dalh I like the swing set, swing him forward later in the year at the expense of a rookie whose ripened.

Gaveday · 15/02/2017 at 22:33

Pocket? Damn autocorrect.

grumpybum · 16/02/2017 at 20:21

needs a bit of craig bird….Bird, Bird, Bird…Bird is the word

Graham · 15/02/2017 at 22:19

Is it okay to start with 0 salary hahaha??

jockreynolds · 15/02/2017 at 22:26

Okay? Bloody genius if you ask me GrayGray

throttlefinger · 15/02/2017 at 22:25

Many have said and I will repeat. That is a BIG PLUMS SPECIAL. And what makes this game so great. Those a heap of risks but not without merit. Sure it will change a tad (like all of ours) yet let the POD-ness of the squad and your thinking. Best of luck, my man.

By the way Gaveday, have an extra spot in the Throttledome if interested.

Gaveday · 15/02/2017 at 22:35

Thanks TF. I've now got Sandi r1 and Witts r2. …..

Very much on board to join more leagues. Code?

TRIGGER HAPPY · 15/02/2017 at 22:37

R u in mine gave?

throttlefinger · 15/02/2017 at 22:50

And TH, you are more than welcome to join as well. Shoot me an email and I'll send you the code. (only a couple spots left…why the email and such)

Gaveday · 16/02/2017 at 08:01

The Alabama hot pockets is my team name! Though that might change

throttlefinger · 15/02/2017 at 22:45

Shoot me your email: [email protected]

John · 15/02/2017 at 22:35

I'm concerned with my team, I am currently starting with six rookies (only three mid pricers not sure how I squeezed it all in) panicking and there's 40 days left till kid comes off

John · 15/02/2017 at 22:36

Kick off*

jockreynolds · 15/02/2017 at 22:39

John – you're not alone mate. Not alone. Few deep breaths.. in through the schnozz, out through the gob. Just concentrate on that sensation of the air movin in & out of your facial orifice. Do that 20 times every half hour or so and I promise you mate – all will be unearthed by the SC Gods over the next few weeks.

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 09:06

I can only count 5 rookies who I can say will almost definitely possible round 1 starters. 6 if McGrath is added

jockreynolds · 16/02/2017 at 13:59

It's looking DIRE old mate. DIRE.

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 14:31

Freeman down. Hip this time

TRIGGER HAPPY · 15/02/2017 at 22:40

Jock i reckon you are up and about tonight you are on fire
Gave certainly got your juices flowing

Love this game

Jib_Jib · 15/02/2017 at 22:58

Gaveday mate if I don't win the 50k then I sure as hell hope it's you. What. A. Team. Breathtaking testicular fortitude!

It was Oscar Levant who said "their is a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased that line". Never have these words been more apt.

I N Pieman · 15/02/2017 at 23:00

Not quite enough risk for mine Gave. You need to replace Treloar with Gary

I N Pieman · 15/02/2017 at 23:15

Or consider the "A La Raj" manoeuvre. Have a couple of spare teams handy

Gaveday · 16/02/2017 at 08:04

Never do the more than one team thing, and if beams is fit ……. rocky out Beamer in.

Risk? What's that?

grumpybum · 16/02/2017 at 19:30

no…just no

jezzzahill · 15/02/2017 at 23:05

I commend your testicular fortitude Gaveday, but this team is not great one. Nine players coming back from long-term absences is just way too many – the chances of them all firing are pretty low.

Kev · 15/02/2017 at 23:11

Gave, mate, not my cuppa tea this squad. There's balls to the wall but this is through the wall, crossed the street, possibly taken out a mailbox or two and ended up in someones backyard pool. Could rattle off dozens of things I'd tweak

Is it a 'wrong' team though? Nah. I actually think you'll start off pretty strong with a lack of exposed rookies. If you watch breakevens and price drops very very closely, trade hard and have a bit of luck you could turn this team into a very strong unit quickly.

Gaveday · 16/02/2017 at 08:05

Cheers Kev. That's the plan!

Holty · 15/02/2017 at 23:33

Wow Gaveday. Havent yet decided if you are brave or just insane selecting this side. Either way, you have my respect thinking outside the box and not following the pack. Look forward to see how the team goes for the season. Good luck

SCaddict · 15/02/2017 at 23:57

To quote Iron Mike "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

And that could be Team Gaveday if Danger drops a 160 plus bomb on Freo on March 26th.

Gaveday · 16/02/2017 at 08:06

Rocky will drop a 160 too.

jimmy_raiders · 16/02/2017 at 00:08

There's Point of Difference players and then there's Point of Difference teams like this one. No guts no glory!

grumblebum · 16/02/2017 at 20:23

or…too much guts…no glory?

Skindog · 16/02/2017 at 00:14

This is insane. Ballsy picks or downright crazy, like Collingwood thinking the are going to be there in the next 10 years and we all know teyare nowhere near it, seriously this is a joke line Collingwood themselves, ?????

Skindog · 16/02/2017 at 00:18

Please tell me your not relying on rooks to make you money to get Danger and Gawn? And players of that ilk? Your chasing your own and another dog's tail,, not good for the community ,,,,,

Rick Grimes · 16/02/2017 at 06:47

All premos will drop in price at some stage, that is a fact. It only takes one sub par game for Danger to shed a truckload of $$$. Personally I'm going with him from the start, but you can't have them all.

Gaveday · 16/02/2017 at 08:07

Exactly – and Higgo has precident that the "no danger" concept is a winner.

BlueBalls · 16/02/2017 at 02:35

Hey guys. I don't know how dumb this question is, but is there a formula they use to calculate starting prices for players somewhere?

Tyruddanaut · 16/02/2017 at 06:43

At the start of the season it depends on the average for the previous season. But I don't know the rest

BlueBalls · 16/02/2017 at 09:37

Yeah that's all I'd worked out too. Thanks.

Gaveday · 16/02/2017 at 08:14

Ahhhh yes there is, and there's kinda of a total value pool that is loosely follwed I'm told. I noticed a lot of the top priced players dropped by about 50k – 80k by round 6.

BlueBalls · 16/02/2017 at 09:40

I'd been trying to work it out based on players averages for the previous season but some players didn't play a single game so I got stuck.

BlueBalls · 16/02/2017 at 09:42

Interesting team by the way. Had an identical forward set up in my most recent version!

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 08:59

Last year average x $5440

BlueBalls · 16/02/2017 at 09:45

Thanks Derek. I spent ages trying to find a list of last years averages compared to this years prices to make a graph in excel but I couldn't find one!

Do you know how they determin a price for players who haven't played a game the previous season (Banned Bombers/JOM/Roughead/etc)? Is it from the last year they have an average with discounts applied for whatever reason?

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 09:55

i belive so. last year they played average, then there is a series of discounts of either 30% or 10%

Tyruddanaut · 16/02/2017 at 06:43

Thoughts on JWitts at R2

grumpybum · 16/02/2017 at 19:32

nice…..early

Rick Grimes · 16/02/2017 at 06:45

I admire this team. The majority of us will go with a cookie cutter team to begin with. I'm not sure my balls are big enough to go quite this POD rich, but it's certainly a timely reminder that it's worth thinking outside the square. Cheers Gave.

BCHawks · 16/02/2017 at 07:31

Wow what a team. Lots of great pods! I'm also considering Martin in the rucks but with the emergence of Archie Smith ill watch over the JLT. Great team.

Rivo · 16/02/2017 at 08:01

Now this is a left field team. Massive plumbs Gaveday. Lone Wolf strategy indeed. Of all the picks, Heppell & Prestia are the most curious. They could both go large. Witts sounds crazy at first, but as a back up R2 to Sandi, it does allow you that cash for the extra mid premium. Best of luck! Will watch with interest.

Supercoach Spud · 16/02/2017 at 08:11

Backs=Doch,,Laird,Adams,Scharenburg,Berry,Ryan,Vickers-Wills,Stewart,
Mids=Danger,JPK,Pendles,Gray,Shuey,Fyfe,SPP,Myers,Hibberd,Graham,Freeman,
Rucks=Gawn,Sandi,Strnadica,
Fwds=JK,Dalhouse,Ryder,Roughead,Picket,Eddy,Smith,Camreeon,
Sloane or Pendles
and doch or simpson
help with any part of team and $1,111 in bank

grumblebum · 16/02/2017 at 19:35

JK out….buckets o cash

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 08:54

Hey Gave. The team isn't as bad as what everyone is saying. My first look I was surprised, but I've had another squiz and I don't mind.

The forward line is awesome. I know you are messing with us with the McCluggage/Dalh switch, but it can also read as Dalh at F1 and McCluggage in guts, then it is awesome.

The midfield only looks weak because of no Dangerfield, but at over $700k I see why you may hold off and get him later. I do smell a shake n bake fake though.

Defence is solid but lacks one of the big 3, it will depend on rookies, but you might look at downgrading thurlow and use cash to take JJ to a Simmo/Shaw/Docherty

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 08:57

Enough has been said about the rucks, but without Danger and Gawn it makes picking the C and VC every week an interesting process. Just stick it on Fyfe!

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 09:10

Smoke and mirrors. Dalh and McCluggage can do the swicharoo. Bammmm the forward line is Awesome!

David · 16/02/2017 at 09:50

With Mid-rookies not revealing themselves so far I have toyed (briefly) with this ruck set-up.

Sandilands Witts (Giles)

and Ryder as back-up in fwd line. If they can all play 6-8 games It would generate some of the cash that the mids are lacking…..Am I CRAZY?????

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 09:56

i read that Lycett should be close to ready for round 1

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 10:10

i know this is un-cool, but seeing you are looking at cheap rucks, have a look at Big Boy McEvoy. Will be #1 ruck at the hawks for the first time ever (Ceglar gone for year) $363k.

When he was at St Kilda as the lone Wolf he averaged 101, 104 & 93sc.

since he has been at the Hawks he has competed against Ceglar and Hale for a starting spot.

priced to average 66, could easy get back to mid 80's+

Kev · 16/02/2017 at 09:59

Are any rookies revealing themselves so far? That can only be answered when round 1 team sheets come in. Derek is right re: Giles. Nicholls will be fit (but lacking fitness) come round 1

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 10:34

Witts got the nod ahead of Grundy for round 1 last year…. he must do really good pre-seasons 😉

grumberbum · 16/02/2017 at 19:36

yes…you are crazy

Damien · 16/02/2017 at 10:39

Genuinely surprised by this team when I saw it last night.

Surprised, but I've considered every single one of these players at some point. You have a set on you to start this team and I respect you for it, mate.

Definitely have gone and stayed in left field. I like it though!

Tim Smith · 16/02/2017 at 11:11

worst team I've seen HAHAAH! do not take notes

Rick Grimes · 16/02/2017 at 12:00

Care to post your team champ?

Tim Smith · 16/02/2017 at 15:41

Def: Simpson,Shaw,Adams,Laird,Scharenberg, L.Ryan (Hibberd, Stewart)
      Mid: Dangerfield, Hannaberry, Treloar, Fyfe, Beams, Swallow, Powell-Pepper, Myers (Barrett, Freeman, Graham)
      Ruck: Gawn, Goldstein (Strnadica)
      Fwd: Dahlhaus, Caddy, Roughy, McCluggage, Picket, Bolton (Black, Eddy)

There you go mate

Jordan · 16/02/2017 at 16:17

No room for idiots like u mate

hedski · 16/02/2017 at 16:23

Stick yourself on the fwd bench Smithy, cheap as chips.

Tim Smith · 16/02/2017 at 16:50

isn't there Jordan?

like to see your teams…. LOL!

at least im playing footy mate…

hedski · 16/02/2017 at 16:57

Tim Smith Melbourne rookie.

Tim Smith · 16/02/2017 at 18:14

yes i know….

Burnmen · 19/02/2017 at 23:47

Checks supercoach dictionary for meaning of cookie cutter – finds this team.

grumblebum · 16/02/2017 at 19:38

what a Schitthouse team

dukes · 16/02/2017 at 11:13

I dont like how you have essientially picked your 6 premium forwards in your starting team. I expect there to be a few surprise packets in the forward line this yr ala zerret and you will have trouble fitting these players in once they expose themselves because you will have more pressing needs on your other lines to address to first

Gaveday · 16/02/2017 at 13:32

I real want Jaimie Elliott or Will Hoskin Elliott and Cam Mac.

Reckon I'll do 5 changes tho. Which have mostly been done. Prestia to Cripps is my main one.

Brown Cow · 16/02/2017 at 15:39

Saw a good stat on Prestia yesterday GD. Appently only one of seven players to average above 10 contested possessions and 400 metres gained per game. Others were Selwood, Steven and a few Brownlow medallists. Cripps will prob outscore him but can see your logic with Prestia and your other courageous calls.

Gaveday · 16/02/2017 at 18:15

Thanks BC. I keep tossing up between Prestia and Cripps. Still really unsure.

Glenn · 16/02/2017 at 11:25

And 24k left over

Kev · 16/02/2017 at 12:07

Welcome aboard, Glenn. Great example of a guns and rookies team.

You've gone a bit hard on expensive rookies up front, reckon a few cheaper options will poke their heads up in the coming weeks and you can pounce. Not really a fan of Ryder as backup for rucks or as a top forward

Glenn · 16/02/2017 at 12:56

Thanks Kev, yeah I'll be watching the preseason games for better rookie options, I thought it was better to go with the slightly more expensive ones and I can downgrade them rather than go with the cheap ones and have no room to upgrade them if need be, I don't really like having Ryder either but I just can't seem to ignore his price, priced to average 75 or so? I can see him averaging 85 to 95, that wouldn't be a disaster of a pick if he ends up at F6 I hope an emerging up and comer pops his head up during the JLT series, was looking at heeney but I don't think he will be getting quite as much mid time as has been advertised during the off season, with paply not playing I think he will spend 60-70 percent of his time at half fwd/fwd pocket, he will hit his tons but will give some 50s/60s as well

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 13:49

McGlynn gone as well. Heeney will play forward.

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 13:47

Top effort Glenn.

I'll be watching turner in the JLT. Could have a significant role to play if Atley goes into the middle

fatboyfat7 · 16/02/2017 at 11:48

What are you going to do with the R6 bye with Witts and Ryder both out? Plan to have him upgraded by then?

Gaveday · 16/02/2017 at 13:35

Yeah Probably Witts upgraded by then. He has to get named round 1 and stay in the side. If he doesn't I'm rijigging my team madly pre rd1 or I'm a 2 trade correction – likely sideways too. But that's the price I am willing to pay.

Troy · 16/02/2017 at 12:28

Funny you should mention Hrovat at M6…because he is exactly that in my team. Last year L. Hunter was my M6 POD gamble, this year Hrovat!

Patch · 16/02/2017 at 13:14

GAVEDAY – this is a very, very refreshing team. Seeing a lot of cookie cutters all over the joint and this one stands out.

The good:
POD midfield. Prestia tasty
POD backline. both in good ways

The bad: midpricers coming out the wazoo

The ugly: that ruckline is scaring the poo out of me at this stage of the season

But good lord you've gone balls deep on your team reveal and I LOVE that

Gaveday · 16/02/2017 at 13:39

Cheers Patch – I'm currently rockin a Sandi / Witts combo because I felt I was being too conservative. This has allowed me to swap Prestia for Cripps. And Pickett for JOM. I think Thurlow may turn into McGrath and Roughie- I think will get the arse. Bring in Cam Mac.

Patch · 16/02/2017 at 13:53

Not big on Cam Mac's scoring potential, and JOM likely to get a rest every month or two in my opinion. McGrath may struggle for game time – Kelly, Gleeson, Howlett and possibly Walla all a chance to run off the half back line.

But BY GUM is that ballsy.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 16/02/2017 at 14:26

Patch would love u join my league with the regulars

league code 394942 if u wanna jump in 🙂

grumpybum · 16/02/2017 at 19:53

ballsy or madness?

Big G · 16/02/2017 at 13:29

My team going to the JLT. Penny for your thoughts

Docherty, Rance, Laird, Newman, Vickers-Willis, Ryan, (Stewart, Long)
Danger, Pendels, JPK, Rocky, Gray, Fyfe, Myers, SPP, (Hibberd, Freeman, Graham),
Gawn, Grundy, (STANICA)
Dahl, Macrae, Caddy, Black, Pickett, Smith, (Bolton, Eddy).

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 13:55

That is about as Guns n Rookie as you can get. Any cash left over?

Big G · 16/02/2017 at 14:15

Guns and rookies the only way. I am about 5,000 over but will make minor adjustments to rookies. Like you, I am still undecided on Pendels

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 17:07

Pendles is the Rolls Royce of Supercoach. GUn!

We can't have everyone and he is expensive considering he might play less in the guts.

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 17:11

I'm reconsidering Sloane in my Midfield. Just don't think he is best 8.

Will change Sloane to Jelwood in my team.

Gray has that pesky round 9 bye.

Big G · 16/02/2017 at 17:30

The only real reason I was re-thinking Pendels (for selwood actually) was to start with someone 50 grand cheaper who can still average around 110 in order to turn one of my rookies who is not guaranteed early games into a stronger rookie (e.g turn black into turner). I think Pendels always averages around 10 per cent more than the bunch of midfielders that average around 108-112 as he always has a pulls out a few 150 +games per year. I think Selwood has a higher ceiling than Sloane, but pulls out the odd dud game.

Corvus · 16/02/2017 at 13:29

Hi Glenn

Welcome to join JR Community Cup: 914967

Just a new league I've created, but I want to fill it with coaches who are up with the wisdoms of Jock and this incredible community.

Glenn · 16/02/2017 at 14:22

Thanks Corvus, just joined your league, i go for north, north supporters rate turner pretty highly I had him in from the get go, will play half forward and pinch hit in the middle/wing I reckon, and most importantly brad scott rates him, he is about 22 years old I think, at a genuine rookie price!

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 14:29

I heard Zebiel talk turner up

Glenn · 16/02/2017 at 14:48

Yeah, zeibell talked him up at the kangas/hawks cricket match in tassie, he was getting regular games even when we had all of our veterans playing over the last couple of years (when he wasn't injured) he's had a good pre season will get games in this young team for sure I just hope he can hold an average over 70 for the first 8 or so rounds, he came to the club as light as a feather, looks more solid now

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 14:58

Scott even said today on AFL website interview that he expected Turner would play every game this year if not injured. $171k is a nice price

Glenn · 16/02/2017 at 15:25

Nice! Haven't seen that yet

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 13:45

Hi Glenn. Top people here. Always willing to help. Not like other sites where everyone keeps POD's and other info to themselves

grumpybum · 16/02/2017 at 20:15

hodgey a known get?

Shake n bake · 16/02/2017 at 14:29

I like the JJ selection down back but to many what ifs! Do you honestly think Hurley prestia heppell caddy heneey rough will be top 8 to 10 in there positions? Good luck a couple of them just might but to many ??? for me. Prestia caddy new clubs hurley heppell back from suspensions rough has had a long lay off (glad hes back!) & heneey maybe new role.

Northernsoul74 · 16/02/2017 at 14:32

Those of you running with the Bont might want to keep a close eye on him over the JLT. Rumour he's struggling with an Achilles issue and hasn't been training fully. Not in the Dogs squad for JLT 1.

Glenn · 16/02/2017 at 14:58

Some of the doggies will get a more attention withthis year, bont, jj ect…teams will take them much more seriously..at best they will hold their value, can't see them averaging more

Glenn · 16/02/2017 at 14:59

This year*

BlakeyP · 16/02/2017 at 14:43

Well how goes it my current team until I change it again.

Rance, Adams, Laird, 5 Rookies
Danger, Pendles, Hanner/JPK, Rocky, Fyfe, T Mitch, 4 Rookies
Gawn, Sandy, Rookie
Dalhs, Ryder, Roughy, 5 Rookies

Well I know my main risk os in the forward line. I believe this is currently the line that has the most unknowns so going lite here. I think you cant lose with Ryder and Rough picks himself at that price. If I do get scared I can drop one of my Mid Premos to Swallow and pick up an extra forward Premo.

Like to here people thoughs and thank you in advance for the advice.

Also have a league up 9 spots left code is 185765. Welcome

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 17:04

Roughie won't be top 6 forward, he might come home strong if you are going for league glory, but i see him as a slow starter. Even if he averages 85 over the first 10 weeks he will only make you $94,000. so he isn't a cash cow either. He is just a feel good story.

As a Hawks fan, i'm just happy see him play footy, the more times he can bring the ball to ground, the more times Cyril will get to work.

BlueBalls · 16/02/2017 at 17:34

Do you think he will help out in ruck or will Big Boy go solo this year?

grumbebum · 16/02/2017 at 20:33

the big boy could go huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 20:36

Roughie may play as the bash crash big centre at the occasional centre bounce but won't ruck, Tyrone Will do a bit.

I'm thinking Big Boy will look at being solo ruck. First time since his St Kilda days when he averaged over 100. Only $363k. If Sandi doesn't make round 1, I might be running McEvoy just quietly.

BlueBalls · 16/02/2017 at 23:26

Forgot about Vicks vaporub. I was thinking the same actually.

BlakeyP · 16/02/2017 at 18:34

Thanks for your input Derek. Taking that onboard i could drop Cripps to rookie and upgrade rookie and roughy in the Fwd line to Motlop and Gunston.

On Gunston. You being a Hawks supporter how do you see his output this year?

Thanks

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 20:33

Gunston is a top player. Never had him in my team, usually avoid hawks. Did you know that he has kicked at least a goal in 89 out of his last 100 games.

Doesn't get a lot of kicks but deadly accurate makes up for it.

Super consistent around the 90-95 average and will be there again. However in years gone by a 95 average wouldn't get you in top 6 forwards, maybe it will this year.

BlakeyP · 16/02/2017 at 21:05

Thanks for that Derek. What do you take of the take of him pushing up more and some time on the wing now that roughy os back and Tyrone has been added?

David · 16/02/2017 at 15:45

his my team so far changes will happen

Backs: S. Docherty, H.Shaw, M. Hibberd, M. Scharenberg J.berry, N. Newman

MID: P.Danger, J.Kennedy, A.Treloar N.Fye J.Lewis, D. Prestia, SPP, D. Myers

Rucks: M. Gawn, B. Grundy

FOR: J.Caddy, J Riewoldt, j Roughead, T.Cloke , J Bowes , J. Gallucci

thoughs and criticism are all welcome

Big G · 16/02/2017 at 15:49

Jordan Lewis more a fantasy high scorer than supercoach.

I N Pieman · 16/02/2017 at 17:22

T Cloke. Are you having a lend David?

hedski · 16/02/2017 at 17:52

Didn't even spot the ham sanga!!

grumpybum · 16/02/2017 at 19:48

Cloke could win you the cash

grumblebum · 16/02/2017 at 20:30

Get Fazzz

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 20:38

Oh my. I started with Cloke a couple of years back, it was embarrassing even then.

Jordan · 16/02/2017 at 16:40

Do u think Deledio will start round 1

I N Pieman · 16/02/2017 at 17:16

If he does have a trade ready for him in round 2

Shake n bake · 16/02/2017 at 17:29

Ok question time how much or will R Gray improve on his 108 av on last yr?? Just thinking Ryder to Gray and that rd 9 bye??

hedski · 16/02/2017 at 17:53

I'll be watching him closely Shaker, had him last year threw in some shockers but came home hard, upgrade target for mine.

Shake n bake · 16/02/2017 at 18:07

started well, finished well missed 3 games so up and down last year but still avg 108.
      also heard today might spend more time up fwd. thought he always has! Is aball winner
      so cant see his role changing to much.

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 20:39

Not interested until round 10

grumpybum · 16/02/2017 at 19:49

John · 16/02/2017 at 17:31

G'day community, would appreciate some feedback on my team as follows:

Shaw, Adams, Laird, Newman, Ryan, Vickers-Willis, Hibberd, Stewart
Danger, Treloar, Hanners, Jelwood, Fyfe, Swallow, SPP, Myers, Freeman, Graham, Bolton
Gawn, Grundy, Strnadica
Dahlhaus, Gunston, Caddy, Roughead, McCluggage, Bowes, Smith, Eddy

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 20:41

Good team.

I'd love to know your thought process on picking Shaw over Docherty and Simpson?

John · 16/02/2017 at 21:21

Just can't afford him! As simple as that. Only got a mere $800 in the bank. Have been toying with Sandilands at R2 but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to take the risk.

Big G · 16/02/2017 at 18:04

Like it, but don't like having 2 taller forwards in 1 team, even if they play up the ground a bit.

Derek · 16/02/2017 at 20:48

Who are the taggers we need to look out for this year?

North have one, anyone else?

Btw, have you had a look at Norths start to the season. could be some big name scalps!

John · 16/02/2017 at 21:19

Scooter Selwood, Coniglio, Shiels/Titch, Barlow, Robinson, Greenwood

Glenn · 17/02/2017 at 11:25

Even Bernie Vance plays a run with role at times

Glenn · 17/02/2017 at 11:25

Vince*

Jib_Jib · 16/02/2017 at 22:33

Random question: Where can we find SC scores for the JLT?

Kevan · 17/02/2017 at 12:54

The team structure is virtually set in stone, almost, I would love to hear from the community as to their thoughts, especially after the Ess/Pies scratch match.
Def; Docherty/Laird/McGovern/Hibberd/Vickers-Willis/Newman/Ryan/Stewart.
Mids; Danger/Hanners/Jelwood/Treloar/Fyfe/Dahlhaus/Galluci/SPP/Myers/Barret/Graham.
Rucks; Gawn/Grundya/Strnadica.
Fwds;JJK/Macrae/Greene/Knight/Balic/Pickett/Smith/Eddy.
Dahlhaus in the mids until after Rd11, balance with the byes. Current is 0/5/4/5 with cover expected to be in place for one of the Rd11 premos on one of the lines. If I need some more expensive rooks to meet Rd1, Dahlhaus becomes Swallow. This is as pure G&R as I could do. I don't like Greene, but he is only 24 and can play the game(when switched on) plus he meets the bye balance strategy I have. McGovern will break through the 95pt mark this season, he is only 25, played 21games last season and improving every game he plays. What do you think community?

Gaveday · 17/02/2017 at 18:03

J McGovern is a risky call but who am I to say! I'd get rid of Jelwood and bring in Cripps or Prestia.

Russ in W.A · 17/02/2017 at 20:20

'I like your lateral thinking and non cookie cutter approach Gaveday, no doubt your team will continue to evolve as the JLT series draws to a close. Whose to say if your choices are good or not?…as long as you enjoy the ride. I too have a similar radical risky type team, aaaand loving it! lol

gaveday · 19/02/2017 at 09:57

Cheers mate, I've already done about 4-5 changes. Keep bouncing between Cripps and Prestia for one.
    There's no fun in copying the Phantom's team either!

Finnius123 · 21/02/2017 at 11:16

How do I do a post like this?

Last year came top 3% and I am looking gun this year. I would love to help people and get some feedback for myself.

Coz311 · 22/02/2017 at 15:51

Bless you for giving me the guts to be ballsy and pick a wonderfully stupid team this year. No guts no glory.

gaveday · 06/03/2017 at 18:15

#NANKILANDS as R1 and R2. It's got my SC juices flowing.