Now this is the story all about how

My team got flipped, turned upside down…

Like most of you, I’ve been tinkering with my team ever since the Higginator dropped on the 11th December, 2016. I was straight down the line of a guns and rookies (GNR) setup. 15 premiums, 15 rookies. McGrath, McCluggage, Bowes. ZERO risk.

I was done with midpricers, every bloody year they would disappoint and I’d curse the SuperCoach Gods for dishing up temptation and myself for falling for it every damn year.

SuperCoach BOSS

Me waiting for the $50K to roll in

Then it happened – I got my mitts on on Jock Reynolds SuperCoach magazine and I was floored. Completely blown sway. I realised it wasn’t the curse of the SuperCoach Gods mucking me up every year, it was me. I wasn’t picking the right blokes that will lead me to glory. I deleted my team and started again. This is what I have as we head into the preseason games.

DEFENCE

DEFENCE_KEV

BANG. BANG. BANG

Kade Simpson hasn’t averaged below 92.5 since 2009 and has missed only 5 games in his past 176 – he’s switched almost daily with Docherty. I read somewhere that Shaw was on the decline. That’s bollocks. He is coming off his statistically best year. He’s been a must have defender for two years now and I don’t see that changing. Tags are a worry though. Laird rotating through the guts will help his game. Only 3 scores under 80 last year.

Scharenberg could turn Keefe, Hampton, or Berry after JLT. If this guy explodes Itchy Nuts Pieman will never let us hear the end of it. My rookie choices are nothing too ground-breaking

I will have 2-3 on field rookies here. I will need to NAIL these selections.

YOU NEED THIS! THE JOCK REYNOLDS SUPERCOACH MAGAZINE – #1 REFERENCE FOR THE ELITE SUPERCOACH

MIDFIELD

BANG. BANG. BANG. BANG. BANG.

MIDFIELD_KEV SuperCoach

I’m hoping I don’t need to justify M1-3 to you. Between them they have averaged 116 and missed 4 games over the past 3 seasons. They are stars of our game and above 600k for a reason.

The stars have aligned for Sloane this year. He averages 117.8 across his career at Adelaide Oval and 119.8 in 2016 (11 games). In 2017 Adelaide play Port, Essendon, Tigers, Dees, Freo and the Saints at home before the bye – all non-finalists from 2016. Fyfe is an injury concern but far too cheap to ignore for a guy that can bust out scores of 140+

Matt Crouch is my pick for the next SuperCoach beast. He’s statistically killing it for his age. I did a writeup on Matt during the preseason and, for mine, only needs an increase in time on ground for his average to soar. I’m weak in the face of my man crush, Patrick ‘Cornboy’ Cripps, if he arouses me during the preseason I might just slot him in.

After much debate, David Swallow is not a keeper in my eyes and, as such, is far too expensive for what is traditionally a rookie spot. Peppa Pig/Myers round out my mids. Both will play early and fatten up nicely. North love Hibberd, he may get a gig off half back this year. Graham, by all reports, has been very impressive at Tigerland. He has had some hamstring troubles but should be ready to go round 1. Ronke has been talked up for getting some early gametime. Maybe, maybe not. Easily swapped if he’s not in the team round 1.

RUCKS

*pauses while you go and comment about what a stupid move having Sandiballs is*

RUCKS SC

Welcome back. Hear me out community, I need 6 weeks out Aaron Sandilands. SIX. I’ve used the mathematical formula/wizardry in the Jock Reynolds SuperCoach magazine/bible (I’m not being paid for these plugs, I swear, I just really love it) and calculated his price to be 460k if he can average 105 over the first 6 rounds. At which point I’ll fold, pack up my blood sacrifice to the SuperCoach Gods and look to trade him in. This is a YUGEEEEEEEE risk community. He’s old. He has a calf niggle. He could snap in half round one. I’m backing myself in.

I’ve got no qualms about paying top dollar for a bloke that smashed out 7 140+ scores in 2016. Welcome O’ Great Bearded One. Strnadica is there as a floating donut.

KEV WAS A MONOLITH OF THE COMMUNITY SERIES – ALMOST 100 SUPERCOACH 2017 OPTIONS ANALYSED HERE

FORWARDS

SuperCoach FORWARDS

Take out the 29 Luke Dahlhaus scored against Port he averaged 99.6 last year with only two scores under 80. Gunston is in a battle with Tom J Lynch for F2, he gets the nod for now due to crossing 120 4 times in 2015 when Roughead was in the team. I’m not 100% on Caddy yet, should get plenty of chances to impress at Richmond. If he looks average in JLT he could become Touk or Heeney. Roughead didn’t average below 90 from 2011-2015 and is way unders if he’s fit and on the park in round 1.

I’ve opted for Darcy Cameron as my ruck/forward swing. As I don’t plan on keeping Sandiballs for the long haul, justifying Boyd/Ryder/Nankervis seemed a waste of cash as I don’t see them being in the top 10 forwards. If Sandi does miss a week, Cameron is in line for early games and can be used as a patch up. Bolton, Rioli, and Eddy are popular rookie selections.

SOME FINAL THOUGHTS

• If you have a league game against me in round 13 I am absolutely STUFFED. Thirteen out, including 4 of my premium mids. I am deadset hopeless at managing my team through the byes. My strategy is to throw that week and be sort of strong for the others.
  • This team will change. Intra clubs are happening, JLT series is a week away. Injuries and bolters are frequent.
  • Best of luck to all coaches in 2017. Let’s do our Father proud and bring home the SuperCoach Premiership Cup for 2017.

* if my Sandiballs punt fails you can find me being salty on Twitter at @SC_Kev7, or at your local sitting alone in the shadows of the darkest corner, a black cowl covering my face, pretending to smoke and nursing a beer. Artists depiction;

Kev Artists Depiction

KEV

_BC_ · 09/02/2017 at 14:15

Something needs to give if the 180k+ rookies are called upon.
Nice team

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 14:25

I'm keen on Foote, Bowes, and Galluci, BC. Rough will be the one to make way if any of them light it up preseason games.

I N Pieman · 09/02/2017 at 14:19

No bad at all Kev. Not sold on Matt Crouch, I'd prefer a proven. Personally I will not under any circumstances start without cover for Sandi. In fact I'm looking at multiple contingencies if I go down that path. Anyway you should send this to the so called "experts" at the Herald sun. Takes me days to stop laughing when Robbo & JC post their teams. I can't wait for Ralphy to post his team of nuff nuffs

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 14:30

I'm about 80/20 on him, Pie. Again, preseason games on risky picks will play a huge part. The Tiger in me wants the Meatball there, but he hasn't had a full preseason.

I'm gonna stick with my plan on Sandi. Six weeks. Come on Ross, don't bugger this up for me!

I N Pieman · 09/02/2017 at 14:51

Boy oh boy Kev what a nerve-racking 6 weeks that will be without cover. Sweating bullets. If he goes down still at 300k your going to be trading that position multiple times or compromising your team to raise funds & get out of jail. Admire your plumbs if you do sign off on it Kev

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 14:59

My old man and his old man both went bald at a young age. May as well help it along a bit haha

Northernsoul74 · 09/02/2017 at 14:22

I'm with you on running with Sandi if named round 1. Waiting to see how Lobbe fits in before I commit to the Ryder insurance. If the worst happens and Sandi goes down early I'll correct him to Witts and just pray.

Shake n bake · 09/02/2017 at 16:00

Lobbe wont get a look in with Ryder back i think. Hes still in my fwd line as a ruck fwd swing and think hes good value. And yes to spend $418k i think he can be a top 10 fwd.

jockreynolds · 09/02/2017 at 14:23

You have had an INCREDIBLE preseason Kev – hats well and truly off son. The Mag is absolutely changing the landscape of many team structures and I reckon you'll find yourself choppin and changing the lineup like a mad bugger for weeks before you nail her!

I LIKE:

Matt Crouch. You've seen the numbers mate, and you know all he needs is his fair share of TOG to deploy some serious SC significance. Ballsy, but I like it mate.

Forward structure which exposes only 2 onfield rookies early. Stacks are going in with Ryder at F3 with a risky R2 – dicing with death I reckon.

Your bravery in avoiding all midprice in the guts. I have Swallow as it stands – but respect your testicular fortifications in this regard.

I am worried about Sandiballs, especially with the light coverage in Cameron. Absolutely see the upside – if he reaches 6 games you're home and hosed. I just can't see him doing it is the thing

Again – hats off old mate. Brilliant stuff!

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 14:46

Thanks very much, Jock. You know you're committed when you're busting out articles on 35 degree days!

I've been bloody scorched by Ryder before, was never keen on the Sandi/Ryder backup combo. Nankervis excites, but there's not a lot of exposed form to go on.

I've had Beams, MMurphy, Jobe, Heppell, Swallow all at different tomes. I'm exposing a lot of rookies on field, if they fail, and any midpricers fail, well I just may as well pack up now and go home.

Sandi will make or break my season. Calves are a terrible injury, even worse when you're 200-odd centimetres. If I get word he's had a setback in recovery then he's out.

I actually can't read the magazine cover to cover. After a few articles my brain just can't comprehend the depth, breadth and width of all the statistical analysis haha

Kevan · 10/02/2017 at 11:32

For what it's worth Kev, I've gone the same way, no cover for Sandi, treat him like a rookie. Pray he gets 6>8 games and take the cash. This thinking has Swallow in my mids, he will generate the same cash as a rookie, but unlike a rookie, he will also generate the points. Much like the great gamble, Sandi. 6>8 weeks of extreme anxiety. I like the Cameron option.

BCHawks · 09/02/2017 at 14:36

It feels great to be back in Supercoach. I just started my preseason research so I am a bit behind.

Great team Kev, love the Sloane pick. I do however have to disagree with you regarding Swallow. I believe he will average 95+ so he is a lock in my team. Will make 150k+ and will be a solid scorer.

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 14:52

Awesome to see you back amongst the forums, BCHawks!

I haven't completely ruled Swallow out. I had him during his DPP days and I loved him, but jeez, those knees are a worry. If he was still defence eligible I'd roll the dice

BCHawks · 09/02/2017 at 20:46

That is true his knees are a worry. There are only so many injury risk players you can start the season with but that price is too hard to ignore for me. Currently at M7 for me.

jockreynolds · 09/02/2017 at 14:53

BC is BACK!! Welcome to season 2017 mate – she's shaping up as an absolute cracker

BCHawks · 09/02/2017 at 20:48

Thanks Jock. Yep it is going to be a cracker. I'm seeing lots of different teams this year compared to the last few years so it is going to be a lot of fun!!

Jib JIb · 09/02/2017 at 14:44

I like your structures Kev, and you've got nice looking team. I'm flip flopping all over the place with my R2 as well and although Sandi is in the mix, I just can feel my aggots shrinking every time I slot him in, but geez the cash he frees up creates some nice options on the other lines… decisions decisions.

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 14:56

Cheers, Jib. I've actually had Grundy R2 for a long time. Though every time I needed cash he'd be the first to go. It was a combination of the articles in the mag, looking at his stats and the age that rucks hit the big time made a tough choice a little easier and I decided to let him go.

Patch · 09/02/2017 at 15:00

Kev, this is very close to my own side, so I'm struggling to critique it. it's got JR mag written all over it, and I'm immensely proud of the lack of mid-priced selections within it.

Gunston an astute POD, but I'm concerned he may be the only true POD in there – Sandi a touch and go. But incredibly well thought out considering how far out from round 1 we are!

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 15:59

Really good point, Patch. I've gone with proven as much as I can so the rookies can fatten while my premiums do the heavy lifting early on.

Sloane has a wiff on POD about him. A victim of the midfield squeeze, Bont/Treloar are looking popular

Patch · 09/02/2017 at 17:04

They are, and you're doing well to avoid them – just concerned you won't be able to break ahead of the pack without seriously thrifty and asinine trading down the line. Not a bad problem to have, per se, but a thing to consider as we get closer to round one!

Boltons Blues · 09/02/2017 at 15:03

As a Carlton supporter, id suggest looking at McKay and Pickett in your FWD/MID rookie spots, on the rebuild, both should be getting game time this year, ofcourse watch out for preseason games.

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 15:50

I'm keen on Pickett, BB. Gotta love that price for a former #4 pick.

I N Pieman · 09/02/2017 at 16:34

Shame McKay lost his DPP. You going to give him an early run Mr Bolton?

Boltons Blues · 10/02/2017 at 08:33

We need a bloke who cries out for the ball and someone to take a mark, McKay is the man, will take time to develop but he will play up top and get games.

Solid spot on the bench, with Pickett sitting in my F5 spot

Liam · 09/02/2017 at 16:17

Great side Kev, very similar to mine (including Sandi with no cover).
I'm scared like you about Sandi but feel the upside is much higher than the risk. We just need 6 plus games Sandi !!!

I've also got a league if you are interested in joining 290886. Everyone in the community is welcome.
Best of luck for the year mate.

weg1968 · 09/02/2017 at 16:21

I would try to get one or two DPP's in the mids, rookies, otherwise really like your team

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 19:35

Good pickup, weg. Something I'll look into

Shake n bake · 09/02/2017 at 16:21

9 prem players out come rd 13 Kev!! Youll have to look at that?!

I N Pieman · 09/02/2017 at 16:46

It's ok if your going for league, but if your going for rank that will cause serious pain

Shake n bake · 09/02/2017 at 17:03

I try to play to see how hi l can get my rank. But making finals is my goal.

I N Pieman · 09/02/2017 at 17:21

I play for both. But rank primary focus

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 19:38

Might organise a mid season overseas trip that week. I'll be stuffed!

John · 09/02/2017 at 16:30

Derek and Pieman do you have twitter or something to invite you to a league?

I N Pieman · 09/02/2017 at 16:38

I only use twitter when I'm ratting someone out who's in the lead, but is running 3 teams. You can get my details from Jock on [email protected].com

John · 09/02/2017 at 16:53

248389 Pieman and Derek there is the league.

I N Pieman · 09/02/2017 at 17:06

Have joined John. Now that's going to be a tough league to win. Some very big guns in there

Shake n bake · 09/02/2017 at 17:26

Im in John this looks a real challenge! Just the way l like it!! Good luck.

John · 09/02/2017 at 17:30

Sorry Shake, accidentally kicked you join back.

Shake n bake · 09/02/2017 at 17:43

Im back!

Derek · 09/02/2017 at 20:26

If you make another one let me know

John · 09/02/2017 at 20:29

Derek jump in now mate.

John · 09/02/2017 at 20:35

I would appreciate if people stop joining the league and allow Derek to join.
            Thankyou.

Derek · 09/02/2017 at 21:24

Bunnies are in

Shake n bake · 09/02/2017 at 21:30

Welcome back bunnies!

hedski · 10/02/2017 at 08:06

Still got room shaker?

Shake n bake · 10/02/2017 at 09:18

Jump in hedski.

hedski · 10/02/2017 at 09:26

I'm in cheers bud

Shake n bake · 09/02/2017 at 16:46

I have re created my league from last year so please only regulars on this site welcome finished 109 last year and love the challenge. League no 770101.

Nifty · 14/02/2017 at 00:09

Hey Shake, was I in there?

Shake n bake · 14/02/2017 at 09:35

Would you like to be in? I could create a spot for you?

Thomas · 09/02/2017 at 17:00

which 2 out of Treloar, Sloane, Bont, Fyfe and Priddis?

Northernsoul74 · 09/02/2017 at 17:03

I've got Fyfe and Treloar but they're likely going to the most popular. I've read some comments compelling cases for Sloane.

Thomas · 09/02/2017 at 17:08

Yeah good point mate. Bare in mind i already have Danger, Pendles and JPK

Northernsoul74 · 09/02/2017 at 17:12

Exact same 5 as me.

Derek · 09/02/2017 at 20:29

Fyfe picks himself

Tommo09 · 09/02/2017 at 21:15

Bont and Fyfe

Booma · 10/02/2017 at 20:11

I've loaded up in the mids with Treloar, Sloan, Fyfe along side Danger, JPK, & Jelwood.. Bang Bang. Have had Priddis every year, but he will always drop in price & then finish strong, reckon you can start without him.

Wighty · 09/02/2017 at 17:10

A team of beautiful symetry….mind if I copy it Kev ?

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 19:39

Go nuts. I'll have someone to share the pain with if Sandi falls over early…

Nick Murphy · 09/02/2017 at 18:14

hay guys this is my team for know and jock let me know what u think

DEF H shaw. M hibberd. T adams. J Therlow C marchbank . M Scharenberg. bench nic newman L ryan

Mid P dangerfield T rockliff. R slone. R gray. M murphy. B florini H mcCluggage D myers. bench S powell Pepper. B parfitt C maynard

Rucks Gwan and martin bench T english
c
Fwds J Macare. J roughhead T Lynch suns. i heeney B long AND C MCcarthy bench B hardwick J daicos

what do u guys think rookies will change come rd 1

Kenny · 11/02/2017 at 11:45

a few potential POD's there Nick but some big risks with so many returning players .. Hibbers, Rocky & Roughy have all been good scorers in the past but all have had plenty of time on the sidelines. Most players returning from a long term injury or absence from the game generally take a full season to get their "match fitness" and body confidence back so I see those blokes as risky. Martin in the rucks may also be risky as Brissie were using Archie in the ruck a lot towards the end of last season. Good luck

Sam_01 · 09/02/2017 at 18:25

Kev mate solid team you got there!
Admire the bravery Going in with sandiballs without proper cover! But is Ryder even suitable cover, he is no proven gun standing next to the likes of king Max and Goldstein…. Ryder is a proven stinker if anything and I wouldn't put it past him to stink it up again.. think of the situation where sandy goes down and you swing Ryder in to cover and he stains it up every other week, it would be a nightmare trying to fix up the underpants stain thoes blokes could leave on your team… if history has taught us anything we shouldn't be mucking around with our ruck structures!
As far as the forward line goes mate it's looking sound, forward line is a stinker this year the only
Blokes I am 100% happy with up there are Dahl and Roo, I've gone pretty light upforward so far as I'm so unsure of a lot of the blokes we have going up there!
I'm not sold on matty crouch in the mids, love him as a selection but can you see him finishing in the top 8 mids, what's the point in having him if not and with such talent in the guts I can't see it happening so I can't justify the selection for mine.. I decided to roll the dice with swallow and used that extra cash to sort out my rucks! This game is about risk vs reward and how much points you're gonna get for your dollar… that said not a chance you take home the grand prize without a little risk here and there! Been thoroughly enjoying reading the community discussion and analysis, can't wait to see what the JLT brings god knows all our teams will be flipped upside down and back to front ten times over before we see round one! Looking forward to reading the further discussions best of luck ladies and gents!

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 20:03

Ryder at R2 gives me the chills! A fit Sandi at 300k is too tough to ignore. I mentioned above I will be monitoring his fitness super closely, Any whisperings he is struggling then he is out.

I did a writeup on Matt and discovered he averaged 100.8sc from 71% game time rounds 14-23. There's more info on him in the mag. If he can lift his time on ground to 80% he's a 110-115 player. Probably not a top 8 mid, but I'd be stoked with that from my M6

TOMAHAWK · 09/02/2017 at 20:21

What about Witts as your cover? Drop Crouch to M.Murphy and then u can have Witts for [IN CASE OF EMERGENCY BREAK GLASS] and pull Wittsy out. Word on the street is he's up for first ruck spot at GC so could be an option to consider…

Northernsoul74 · 09/02/2017 at 21:09

I've been considering Witts but he's expensive to have sat on the bench as R3. If you have Sandi and he goes down early Witts might the only way to turn by way of a trade. Shame he's not ruck/forward.
        Anyone got the balls to go Witts R2?

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 21:55

I can see where you're coming from, tomahawk. Is it the best use of the my funds though? I save 210k from going Sandi over Grundy, I'd then be using 140k of that to turn Strnadica into Witts – both of these guys I'll trade.

I'm coping Cameron plays early and can be called on for short term cover. If Sandi goes down with an LTI then my gamble hasn't paid off. I'll cut Rough to a rookie and use the cash on a reliable R2. Yes, it's a step back, but the forward line is looking like a pretty easy one to upgrade

Leeds17 · 09/02/2017 at 22:22

Tempted for sure, I love a rookie ruck

Keenbutclueless · 09/02/2017 at 18:37

I like it Kev. With a Sandi without cover team, I really. See a few options:
Go deep with a M6 and leave either D4 or F4 to be filled by a rookie, or
Use Swallow at M6 and have a strong D4 and F4.
With your team, it's really a question of whether Scharenburg can be D4. There are for and against, but Buckley's comments the other day about bringing him back via the VFL worried me. As does his status as a higher priced rookie.

The only other question for me is Matt Crouch. I have a similar version to you where Scharenburg plays D4, but I have Titchell at M6. I guess he's not quite full premo either, but it feels like it more justifies the risk of Scharenburg at D4 than Crouch.

I may end up with a Mills (or Hartlett) D4 and Swallow M6, rather than a Scharenburg/Titchell combo.

Good luck Kev. Have really valued your contributions this preseason. Fingers crossed on Sandi for 6 weeks.

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 20:09

Some super advice, keen. Cheers mate. See above my thoughts on Crouch.

Leave it to Nathan to stuff up the best laid plans. I'm not too bothered with Shaz's price. He has a tiny bit of experience at AFL level and, for mine, is a safer bet than an untested rookie.

SRivo · 09/02/2017 at 18:52

Wow Kev. Big kahuna's with Sandi. I have opted for Gawn/Goldy, with Ryder at F3. I like the Caddy & Crouch selections too. Interested why you didn't go for Adams as D3 & Sloane over Bont?

John · 09/02/2017 at 18:56

Look at Sloane's average at Adelaide Oval and look at the fixture. Easy to see why he has selected Sloane over the Bont.

SRivo · 09/02/2017 at 19:00

Makes sense. I might read up some more on Jocks magazine! Thanks John.

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 20:15

With a 3-0-5 setup in defence I want durable as possible. While I like Adams as a player he's missed 22 games over 3 games since joining the Pies. I put a line through him early.

Goldy doesn't worry you? Not in full training. Ankle trouble means he is not running. 588k underdone premium. Sandiballs is not without his own injury issues, at 280k cheaper though I'm prepared for the 6 weeks of risk

SRivo · 09/02/2017 at 20:38

Thanks Kev. My fallback pick on Goldy staying underdone/injured is Grundy. His ceiling is not as high but he looks safe with a busy Pies midfield. Like many I went in with Sandi too, but am very uncomfortable with the old man calf injuries. Will watch closely too. I like Laird too, but Adams DPP is very tempting. Great team overall though & best of luck!

Harry H · 09/02/2017 at 19:07

Kev I've loved your write ups all pre-season. Been reading every article. I love the justification of your team and found myself nodding my head in agreement with many of your comments. Many similarities to my team:
– I have the same defensive structure of 3 guns, 3 rookies on field. Have gone with Adams over Shaw as hopefully a midfielder this year
– I note a few people going Sloane based on a great early draw but is he a top 8 mid? If he's only in for the early draw, that could be a wasted sideways trade later if he can't keep it up all season. I would prefer Hanners, Neale, Jelwood or Rocky any day. I also can't pass up picking one of JOM or Swallow. Too good to miss both.
– I have exactly the same rucks and had exactly the same plan, although think I'm a little ambitious and was hoping for 10 rounds!
– I'm not sold on Caddy either and reckon Lynch over Gunston anyday. The kid is a star. Is J Elliott worth a shot?

Also do we have any update on D Beams? He's a gun but worried about the wounded knee. Not sure about both Swallow and Beams in the one midfield

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 20:22

Very good point re: Sloane, Harry. To be honest, he's not. In 2014 he averaged 114, other than that he's been between 104-108 for the past 5 years. Valuable knowledge to have. If he starts to sputter Rocky and Shuey have a history of coming home like a freight train.

I'll keep an eye on Elliot. Rough is not a lock at F4 and cash is always handy!

Tommo09 · 09/02/2017 at 19:18

My team is pretty similar to yours Kev

I have this at the moment
Def: Doch, Shaw, Laird, McGrath, scharengberg, Stewart (Ryan, Long)
Mid: Danger, Gaz, Bont, Fyfe, Beams, Swallow, Myers, Florent (SPP, Freeman, Graham)
Ruc: Gawn, Sandi (Strndica)
Fwd: Dahl, Lynch, Heeney, Bennell, Roughy, Bowes (Pickett, Eddy)

Lots of injury prone players and midpricers
I think I may need to fit mccluggage in somehow

22k left

Any suggestions are more than welcome
Thanks community

Northernsoul74 · 09/02/2017 at 19:23

Doesn't sound like Bennell will be considered round 1.

Liam · 09/02/2017 at 19:25

Bennell not ready for round 1 let alone JLT games.

Sam_01 · 09/02/2017 at 19:29

Very ballsy line up tommo
    Was just messing with my team and had a glance over at the midfield poll
    Hurts my eyes to see Garry Ablet not getting much of a look in, his glory days are behind him now I'd say and his body is getting a bit more fragile! I feel horrid inside not starting him as he has been our shining light and saviour for many a year! Swallow beams Bennell and sandi all in the one team is taking some massive risks! And I'm still not 100% sold on heeny just yet but there is stuff all else up forward anyway!

The Ranger · 09/02/2017 at 19:22

Nice looking team Kev. The Sandy/Grundy conundrum is the one giving me the most grief at the moment.
Thanks for all your efforts over the off/preseason.

Juz · 09/02/2017 at 19:32

Thoughts on jack Steven? Averaged 102 last season and with what looks like the saints on this rise could he be POD

Kev · 09/02/2017 at 21:43

Really like him, Juz. Very healthy TOG%. Type of player you wonder why don't have when you watch Saints on TV Needs to work on closing the gap between his best and worst. 7 scores under 80 in 2016

Loop · 10/02/2017 at 06:33

I bought him into my team during the byes last season. It was a disaster, very disappointing. I thought that he didnt handle a tag well but I'm not knowledgeable enough to be sure about that. I'd wait to see if he can become more consistent. I just looked at the footywire stats, seven of his post bye games were horrible.

I N Pieman · 09/02/2017 at 20:08

You Guys think i should go 6s guns in mid and 3 guns in defence or 4 guns in defence and 5 guns in mid
KEVO What u think

Liam · 09/02/2017 at 20:22

6 in mids, 3 in defence. The rookies in defence look good and the premos are overpriced so you can pick them up later a lot cheaper.

Derek · 09/02/2017 at 20:13

I've even been toying with the idea of starting Sandi at R2 with no cover, but having $210k in bank to start season. This way I can straight trade to Grundy if Sandi goes down.

Easy to do, just set up a team with Grundy at R2, then swap them.

You don't need to have that much cash, you might only want $110k so you can trade Sandi to Ryder (later on Ryder gets swung forward at a forward)

Derek · 09/02/2017 at 20:15

One thing last years winner did was always had a very healthy bank balance.

jockreynolds · 09/02/2017 at 20:56

KABOOM – you're impressing the pants off me Dezza. Literally mate, they're off right now. This is a bloody good option

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 09:02

I'm liking that idea.

Or just spending the $210k cash to upgrade McCluggage/Knight to Ryder in starting team if Ryder looks like he might score ok

I just don't want to commit to Grundy in case Goldy or Martin or Mummy or Lobbe become the real R2.

Rabbits16 · 12/02/2017 at 19:00

another option is to tacticly employ a mid price player in each line (like swallow beams b murphy roughhead) so they hold money for you and if they arent performing by end of round 2 you pounce onto an emerging rookie… this should free up the cash to keep in the kitty for upgrading sandilands ???? one of them is bound to make some nice cash so leave them be and if they dont…. well downtrade and put that money away for a rainy day

Ross · 09/02/2017 at 21:04

Simple yet brilliant

SCaddict · 09/02/2017 at 20:26

Not you too Derek!

Either way, whether you have bank or not, I still think cover is prudent especially if your starting rucks are expected to only miss a game or two. Save those precious trades. This season we seem to have at least one decent under-priced option in Ryder and maybe two if Nank can win the No. 1 ruck role at Tigerland. Maybe even Witts gets a solid gig at GC and could be a cover option at R3 as well.

After all you really only need Sandi to play the first 6 or 7 and then it shouldn't take much cash to upgrade him to an uber ruck should he fall apart.

Derek · 09/02/2017 at 20:53

Sandi will make good cash, but I still don't know who the R2 should be. It's hard to get both spot right from the start. Was hoping Sandi would buy me time to work out who the best R2 is…..

Just like my TBC and Lobbe plans of other years

SCaddict · 09/02/2017 at 21:03

With that track record you are well within your rights to be wary.

Shake n bake · 09/02/2017 at 21:51

Ryder do we think he can be a top 10 fwd? I do. No 3rd man up will definitely get his hands on the ball 1st more times than not. Im going to chuck him fwd, using my 3rd ruck as my swing. Only thing for myself is who will l start as R2.

Ryan · 09/02/2017 at 20:17

League is 306785 who ever wants to join

50_Shades · 09/02/2017 at 20:21

We'll slap my ass and call me Sally!
Supercoach is back and glistening like a vajazzled… well you know 😉

Loving the podcasts, the articles, the comments. Might be be time to buy this dirty magazine everyone is talking about. Purely for the articles of course. although I hear the centrefold might get me in a bit of trouble if I leave it lying around.

Ryan · 09/02/2017 at 20:25

Liam Who do i get rid of in the denfence out of Vince Laird Docherty Adams

HoleyFrijoles · 10/02/2017 at 11:00

vince

Ryan · 09/02/2017 at 20:28

Who do i get rid of in the denfence out of Vince Laird Docherty Adams

Northernsoul74 · 09/02/2017 at 20:47

Vince

jockreynolds · 09/02/2017 at 20:53

Yep I'd say Vincenzo as well

Liam · 10/02/2017 at 08:14

Vince, even though i'm not keen on starting with Doc.

Jordan · 09/02/2017 at 21:16

Any news on Mumford?? Is he fit…?

SCaddict · 09/02/2017 at 21:25

afl.com.au did an injury summary article yesterday in case you haven't seen it:

Saying Mummy is out for another 2-3 weeks with that bung elbow after minor surgery last week. So sounds like he may miss the first couple of JLT games.

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 12:43

Mummy has never once completed a full season. When he's been in my team my anxiety levels have been enormous.

Afr · 09/02/2017 at 21:46

My team community.

Def- T.Adams R.Laird J.Pittard A.Mcgrath M.Scharenberg L.Ryan – K.Collins B.Long

Mid- P.Dangerfield S.Pendlebury GARY D.Hannebery N.Fyfe T.Mitchell Powel-Pepper D.Myers – J.Berry N.Freeman J.Graham

Ruck- M.Gawn B.Grundy – Strndica

FWD- N.Riewoldt L.Dahlhaus J.Roughead J.Ridley J.Pickett B.Eddy – W.Rioli T.Smith

Yes my forward line is weak but this gives me a strengthened midfield and I like this as there are not many great forward selections this year. Currently trying to find a good POD that would replace Roughead (preferably that doesn't have the r13 bye)

Yes I have the one and only SuperCoach God.. Gary Ablett, big injury risk/ forward line risk but will watch closely in the JLT game/games that he plays to see if he gets through them okay and see if he's still running theough the mid. Like him as a POD selection and feel he can still average very high if fit. If he doesn't work out will swap to a JPK or Treloar.

Any other thoughts would be greatly aprecciated. Cheers

Afr · 09/02/2017 at 21:47

And also forward rookies will watch closely to pick off the best few.

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 10:15

Pittard i'm not keen on (rd 9 bye). I am very excited about Mills stepping into the midfield, could finish the season as a perm midfielder.

Roughie will start slow and get better as the year goes. i think there are better options

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 12:44

Are you still planning on playing Mills at D3?

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 13:25

he is still there, but i want to see plenty of midfield time over the NAB cup

CD96 · 09/02/2017 at 22:02

Thoughts on my team

DEF: Shaw, Montagna, Laird, McGrath, Scharenberg, Hibberd (Nth), (Ryan, Stewart)
MIDS: Danger, Pendles, Kennedy, Hannebery, Fyfe, Swallow, Powell-Pepper, Myers (Pickett, Graham, Freeman)
RUCKS: Gawn, Sandi, (strndica)
FWDS: Dahlhaus, Motlop, Wingard, Roughead, Bowes, Eddy, (Rioli, Bolton)

184k left over

Feedback much appreciated.

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 09:58

that is a really solid team.

I'm not sure if Swallow is a good pick or not, still debating if i have him, and if i do it will probably be at F7.

Same with Roughie, i think he will still be cheap enough to get around the byes (don't think he will do alot at the start of the year, his TOG will be low), will finish the season strong.

If you downgrade Roughie to a rookie you have the cash to upgrade Swallow to a premium in the guts.

CD96 · 11/02/2017 at 00:11

Thanks for the feedback appreciate it greatly.

I'm not 100% convinced on Swallow and roughie myself but they are the best picks in their price range for the positions respectively at this stage in my opinion.

Roughie is actually going to be a stepping stone only because I find rookies at this stage very underwhelming and having that extra money can allow me to upgrade the defence if need be.

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 13:19

Like the team CD.

I just want to share an observation I've made about about McGrath. I watched the first half of the Essendon intra-club game last night and he did not really get near it at all, I'd say 5 possies tops. That means he's either not ready or they're holding him back a bit. Given what Woosha said last week about easing him into it I'd say it's the latter. Some people in the community thought that maybe it was a bit of smoke and mirrors from Woosha but now I don't think it was at all. Watch him in the JLT by all means but on current form he's not going to burst out the come blocks in rd 1.

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 13:26

good info Jib

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 15:27

Cheers. Just watched the 3rd q – I didn't see him once, don't even think he was on the field.

CD96 · 11/02/2017 at 00:08

Very interesting thanks for the insight.

Rookies aren't nailed on at the moment so they will definitely chop and change.

Gold Rush · 09/02/2017 at 22:35

Folks, Here is my strategy for the Rucks, Gawn, Goldstein and Witts on the bench, reckon I can pull $150-200k+ out of Witts by Rnd 13, (if he stays on the park) trade him down to a loophole with fwd eligibility and the bring in the backup that way (2 trades). I reckon Ryder is not going to be the backup. Am I nuts, love to hear your thoughts!

Don't Blush Baby · 09/02/2017 at 23:28

Soz GR, NUTS mate

Russ in W.A · 10/02/2017 at 01:21

Dunno about spending all that extra on Witts for the bench, but I do reckon Ryder is inherently lazy, and don't like him for any position..pass on him for me.

I N Pieman · 10/02/2017 at 09:53

The first question that needs to be answered is is Witts number one ruck. Because if he isn't that wont work. If it is then perhaps there is some validity in your thoughts. You donut Fwd depends on the rookies. If the Fwd rookies look good then your probably better off taking one of those

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 10:09

if you are going to spend that money, you may as well get Boyd and stick him on the forward line bench. he will make same amount of cash as Witts, plus he can cover Rucks, Forward and Midfield lines.

Not that you would start him on your bench, but it has the same result as having Witts on your bench.

What will you do for captain Loophole?

Brown Cow · 10/02/2017 at 13:15

What do you think of Boyd Derek? I have him at F4 with a plan for F7 at seasons end. Can't justify the extra $$ for Ryder who I don't see as being 30 ppg better.

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 13:30

not keen on Boyd at all. although he is a better option being on the forward line than having Witts on the ruck bench.

not even sure if Boyd is a certainty to be in Dogs best 22

Brown Cow · 10/02/2017 at 13:50

Thanks. Could be right there with Crameri / Cloke return. Might look at Riley Knight or basement rookie and pray that Gawn / Grundy stay fit.

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 14:23

Maybe watch Nankervis' in the JLT.

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 12:49

Another thing to consider, what are you going to do for a Captain's loophole option for the first 13 rounds? You're either going to forgo a CL for half the season or miss out on a decent rook on another line. Much easier to make the required 150-200 with a decent non-ruck rookie I'd have thought.

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 12:50

Sorry Derek didn't see you'd also raised the CL question before commenting.

:)) · 09/02/2017 at 23:15

Huge fan of the team Kev, very similar structure to myself. I can't justify the Sandi pick as I don't think it's worth the risk if he goes down early given you'll have to burn 2 trades and cull and early cow.. but each to their own and that's why we all play this beautiful game.

Would also appreciate any thoughts on my side 1000.0
Def: Doch, Adams, Laird, Scharenberg, Hibberd, Newman (Ryan, Long)
Mid: Danger, Pendles, Hanners, Rocky, Fyfe, Swallow, Myers, Powell-Pepper (Picket, Freeman, Graham)
Ruck: Gawn, SMartin (Strnadica)
Fwd: Dahl, Lynch, Caddy, Roughy, Bowes, Bolton (Rioli, Eddy)
Cheers lads

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 09:57

that is a really solid team.

If you downgrade Roughie to a rookie you have the cash to upgrade Swallow to a premium in the guts, depends on what cash you have as well.

Kev · 10/02/2017 at 10:29

That's the risk mate, but certainly not without careful consideration. Higgo's analysis of Giant Killers (2016 winner) is amazing reading (if you missed it – http://www.jockreynolds.com.au/2016/09/08/the-gia… You can see from his trade break down his first rook was cashed in at round 5. I'll be adopting a similar aggressive trading pattern early, cutting a cow early is something I'll have to get used to.

Your team looks very very good. My knock on Adams at D2 is that he that he doesn't stay on the park to be considered anything close to reliable, and Long will miss the first 2 games with suspension

Unknown · 10/02/2017 at 21:44

If u take out the ) from the link it works thnx kev

Russ in W.A · 10/02/2017 at 01:04

Hey Jock, love your work mate, any chance of starting a general pleb's, 'Post your team' thread?

Saturn Tits · 10/02/2017 at 08:00

Agreed

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 09:48

we have had a V1 & V2 team thread already. they are probably a bit old now and buried away in the list of articles. A fresh one would be good once the NAB cup starts.

I had a look at my V1 team i posted and there are only 8 of the on-field players the same. made 14 changes. Mills & Cyril are both still there.

Russ in W.A · 11/02/2017 at 23:54

I know right?…it can be a massive headroot doing it this early…maybe best to leave it till the last 2 weeks or so lol

Russ in W.A · 10/02/2017 at 01:11

I believe Sandiballs is too much of a risk..so I went with Gawn and Grundy and worked around that, could bite me on the arse if Sandi stays fit though, I'll have missed a huge cash cow.

sharmanism · 10/02/2017 at 08:35

No risk no reward. I'm not sold on Sandi, Grundy, Goldie or Sauce at the moment, Hickey is seriously on my radar but at the moment I've put my balls on the line and gone with Witt as R2 and Ryder as cover in the forward line with a view to upgrading Witt around the byes.

The Sandi for six weeks will either make or break Kev's year – if it comes off it's a genius move.

Kev · 10/02/2017 at 09:31

R2 is turning out to be a really tough spot. Is Witts a better pick than Sandi? Head to head, both fit, I'd take Sandi every day of the week. Proven Goliath of our game. Both will be traded to a more reliable ruck.

Injury risk v The unknown

John James · 12/02/2017 at 17:36

I've gone the same way,set and forget,or lock and load,whatever saying you want to go with.

sharmanism · 10/02/2017 at 08:31

Nice team Kev, you've done some great preseason work (along with the rest of the team here).

I'd be a little worried about Crouch though, reports are he's nursing a hammy that won't be right for R1. Who's your backup plan for him?

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 09:03

Brad has the hammy problem I believe.

Kev · 10/02/2017 at 09:21

Hey sharmanism, yeah, Brad's the one that will miss round 1. Injury report released yesterday if you haven't already seen it

sharmanism · 10/02/2017 at 12:17

Damn these brothers and their same names! Carry on Kev!

tim · 10/02/2017 at 09:50

thoughts on my team would be great fellas

def: shaw, adams, laird, scharenberg, ryan, stewart (berry, long)

mid: danger, jpk, treloar, gray, fyfe, mcgrath, spp, myers (pickett, freeman, graham)

ruck: gawn, grundy (strnadica)

fwd: dahlhaus, macrae, caddy, roughy, mcCluggage, bowes (bolton, eddy)

cheers all

tim · 10/02/2017 at 09:50

great team by the way kev

Keenbutclueless · 10/02/2017 at 10:28

Classic GNR side. A smallish problem on Rd 13 bye with 7 of your 14 keepers out, including all 3 of your backline. Are you firmly committed to Shaw? If you made that Rance instead, you would even things up a bit. Might even allow you to take McGrath up to Swallow, if you are that way inclined. Berry is injured, so taking him down to a Hibberd or Newman might get you there.
    I think those of us looking to bring in Gray are planning to get him after his bye. Not so many starting him.
    Like Derek, I am preferring Knight and Turner over McCluggage and Bowes because of their edge in experience, but that will work itself out in JLT

Kev · 10/02/2017 at 10:33

Looks solid, tim. Long will miss first 2 games with suspension.

McGrath is a huge no for me. Coach has come out and said he'll be eased in to the action. McBags should see more action at the Lions, but can he do enough to justify that price tag? There's plenty of forward rookies that are much cheaper

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 10:04

i have studied all the rucks carefully and came to same conclusion. Collingwood's midfield could make Lobbe look good.

the only reason i'm not locking him in and throwing away the key is Goldy. On history Goldy is a deadset R2 lock, coming off an injury affect year in 2016, he should be the bargin of the year. Doubts over his knee, now his ankle, the Daw factor, the crap midfield, plenty of ??

I'm still thinking of Starting with Sandi (with either $cash cover or Ryder at F4) just to have a look at how Goldy is going before deciding between the two (or martin)

Bombers56 · 10/02/2017 at 10:40

Why is there no love for Martin?

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 12:35

if you compare Goldy against Martin at their best, Goldy is head and shoulders above.

Goldy kicks more goals, has twice as many hitouts (Martin has only ever gone over 40 HO on 3 occasions – Goldy does 40 on a bad day).

Goldy's ceiling is much higher than Martin. no comparison. sorry.

Bombers56 · 11/02/2017 at 09:50

This is all true. But I keep reading that Goldy has ankle problems and other little niggles, Sandi is not a 100%, I am just not sure as to take one of them as R2 or go for someone fit that's priced in between them.

HoleyFrijoles · 10/02/2017 at 11:02

I agree. Sandi is the way and see pick, is the best mid pricer on offer on any line (in terms of scoring ability versus price), and as Kev says, only has to get through 6-7 rounds befoer you switch to Goldy/Grundy. Makes the rest of the team look so much better.

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 12:28

getting the rucks correct is hard.

different that other lines where we are only starting with 3 or 4 keepers out of 6 or 8 places.

filling 2 out of 2 is tough.

HoleyFrijoles · 10/02/2017 at 13:57

I would set and forget Goldy if he hadn't had such an interrupted pre-season + poor end to 2016.

Still haven't seen anywhere enough info on what happened to Jacobs last year. If he just had a down year + no third man up, if could be the man.

Bill · 10/02/2017 at 10:19

So far I haven't change my team for a week and I would love the communities thoughts on my team?

BACKS : Docherty, Shaw, Laird, Scharenberg, Hibberd, Ryan (Stewart, Long)

MIDS: Danger, Pendlebury, Sloane, Bontempelli, Fyfe, Beams, Swallaw, Powell-Pepper (Myers,Picket, Graham)

RUCKS: Gawn, Grundy (Strnadica)

FWDS: Macrae, Heeney, Roughead, McCluggage, Bowes, Bolton (Rioli, Eddy)

Got $38 leftover

Holty · 10/02/2017 at 10:31

I like the team. Only thing id suggest is get both spp and myers on field and replace a mid for a premiun in another line. Spp and myers should score more then most rookies so seems a waste having 1 on the bench

hedski · 10/02/2017 at 11:41

On ya again Kev, solid team I'm still unsure on Sandiballs myself but if he rolls out round 1 will be hard to resist.
Current lineup is.

Monty Rance Laird (Hibberd)
Scharen Newman Ryan (Stewart)

Danger JPK Treloar (Myers)
Selwood Rocky Fyfe (Graham)
SPP SPS (Bolton)

Gawn Martin (Strndic)

Macrae Caddy Ryder (Eddy)
Knight Galluci Pickett (Smith)

Def and Fwd are a bit lean ATM but could downgrade a mid or throw Sandi in to beef them up.
Hoping to pick up the big boys in def on the cheap and let the fwds show themselves.

Northernsoul74 · 10/02/2017 at 12:31

Not many people talking about SPS and a bit exy for a roomie for me. If I was going to a more expensive rookie though he'd be who I'd look at.

hedski · 10/02/2017 at 13:06

Yeah I like the look of him, could downgrade him and throw in the Doch for Monty.

hedski · 10/02/2017 at 19:23

Does look better with Doch there, but I am a tight arse so dunno.

Youngster · 11/02/2017 at 21:17

My thinking is the same with Doch/Simo/Heater — all at massive starting prices so my plan is to pick 3 other keepers (with luck, they'd be top 6 – not likely I know) and then jump on these blokes when I can – picking up one of Doch/Simmo post their bye as I don't want them both in my team for their bye.

Like everything in this caper, every choice has it's pros and cons.

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 12:15

Kev that stat about Sloan's first 11 was enough to push him over the line for me. For what it's worth my current lineup:

Doch, Adams, Laird, Berger, the rookie Hibberd, Ryan (Collins, Stewart)
Danger, Pendles, Hanners, Zerrett, Sloan, Fyfe, SPP, Meyers (Newman, Brown, Graham)
Gawn, Hickey (Str)
Dahl, Lynch, Ryder, Stewart, Gucci, Black (Rioli, Eddy)

Cash: $2,700

I won't make any structural changes until I see the JLT, however I think my most likely structural changes before rd 1 will be:
1. Downgrade Zerrett to Swallow/rookie and upgrade any one or combo of F4/R2/D4; or
2. Downgrade R2 to Sandi to upgrade F4 and/or D4; or
3. Both 1 and 2.

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 13:32

i had priddis at M5 but wasn't really set on him. Slone sits there nice now

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 14:18

I don't know why but I look at him every year but I never ever pick Priddis. I reckon it's his silly haircut.

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 16:44

Priddis usually ends up in my team. Still have him in top 8

Jib_Jib · 10/02/2017 at 17:37

Looking at his stats post bye he often comes home like a freight train. West Coast have on OK run home this year so I'll keep him in mind as an upgrade target.

jockreynolds · 10/02/2017 at 12:38

Blokes and chicks – the commenting system has been a bit precious lately – if you have any dramas I'm checking the 'spam' folder every day to release any blocked comments. No rhyme or reason to why it blocks some – but I'll keep monitoring it! Derek & SC – just released some of yours. Bloody computers. Jock

SCaddict · 10/02/2017 at 13:33

Bloody Windows 3.1 huh Jock! I still remember the PC issues that plagued you on those awesome pre-round selection videos you did a few years back.

This site is a national treasure so hopefully it stops causing you grief shortly. Just happy to participate.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 10/02/2017 at 13:39

Nice one Kev.
Going after the next mid field beast good to see
I've got a similar setup to you except one more premo in the mids. Big $$ spent here.
You can check it out over the next couple of days.

Simmo6 · 10/02/2017 at 13:44

Hello community.. am loving the thread and reasons/thoughts behind some some selection or non selections..

Here is a team I've been settled on for a while..

DEF – Shaw, Adams, Laird, Scharenberg, Newman, Ryan (hibberd, K Collins)

MID – Dangerfield, Pendlebury, JPK, Sloane, Fyfe, Heppell, Myers, Powell Pepper (Freeman, Bolton, Graham)

RUCK – Gawn, Goldstein (Cameron)

FWD – Dahlhaus, Heeney, Roughead, Hoskin-Elliot, Knight, Eddy (Picket, Smith)

I'm confident I have picked the 2 or 3 highest scoring players on each line, including I think 6 of the top 10 (backing Heppell with the captaincy).

Would love some feedback!!

Kev · 11/02/2017 at 11:29

Looks fantastic, Simmo. Can't fault your def or mid lines.

Goldy needs to be monitored closely. When he struggled with injury last year he really did struggle.

Having both Hoskin-Elliot and Knight seems like overkill. I'd take one and move the other to Bolton.

Russ in W.A · 12/02/2017 at 00:00

Like your team Simmo…so do you think Bolton will start round 1 Kev?

Kev · 12/02/2017 at 14:01

I think he will, Russ. Was a bit deer in the headlights by the sounds of it in the intraclub. Continue to monitor for the JLT games

Mike Cassidy · 10/02/2017 at 13:55

Like the team Kev, have done a bit of pasting in to my own team 🙂
Just a thought about Sandi: by swapping Simpson for Montagna, and Danger for the 'now slimmer' Rocky, oh and Crouch for Murphy who looks like he might bounce back, you'd have $180k in the bank, to trade up to a Martin, Grundy or even Ryder type if Sandi broke early… Good idea no?

Kev · 11/02/2017 at 10:59

Nah, sorry Mike. Joey can't match Simmo when it comes to consistency. History is against Rocky staying one two legs before the bye hits. Murph is on his last legs (shoulder)

Martin, fit or not, struggled with Archie in the team. Don't mind Grundy, will watch his tap work early and if it's sound I'll target him. I'd sooner set myself on fire than rely on Ryder again

Danners · 10/02/2017 at 14:08

Nice Kev! I have a similar structure just being a bit stronger in defence. Surprised that more people are not going with Sloane, I believe he's more lockable than the Bont, Cripps, Treloar and co. Will burst out of the blocks. Can't see Crouch jumping his average up by about 10 points though. He will improve but not by a lot.

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 14:25

Sloan's problem is he's not a lock to average over 110, but that home stat + Adelaide's draw mean this could be the year.

Damien · 10/02/2017 at 14:17

I had to look twice because me and you have the exact same defence Kev!

Kev · 11/02/2017 at 10:51

Great minds, Damien!

Bill · 10/02/2017 at 14:24

I would love peoples thoughts on my team i don't know where I can improve.

BACKS : Docherty, Shaw, Laird, Scharenberg, Hibberd, Ryan (Stewart, Long)

MIDS: Danger, Pendlebury, J.P Kennedy ,Sloane, Bontempelli, Fyfe, Powell-Pepper, Myers (Picket, Freeman, Graham)

RUCKS: Gawn, Grundy (Strnadica)

FWDS: Macrae, Heeney, Roughead, McCluggage, Bowes, Bolton (Rioli, Eddy)

Got $38 leftover

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 15:01

Heeney at F2 is a bit light.

If you swap Pendles with Treloar, that will give you enough cash to upgrade Heeney to Dalhaus.

Pendles & Heeney OR
    Treloar & Dalhaus?

Bill · 10/02/2017 at 23:45

Sorry it was a miss type I only have $9,700 thanks for the advice anyway

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 14:28

I might be stupid but I just found the "past stats" tab in SC gold. Research just because x10 easier.

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 15:02

do you use Footywire much

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 15:29

Yeah heaps, but it find it a pain to find specific stats sometimes.

Jib JIb · 10/02/2017 at 14:28

*just became

MJ*23* · 10/02/2017 at 15:12

BACKS : S.Docherty, H.Shaw, T.Adams, R.Murphy, A.McGrath, G.Logue
(A.Witherden, J.Berry)

MIDS: T.Rockliff, R.Sloane, M.Bontempelli, N.Fyfe, D.Swallow, H.McCluggage, S.Petrevitski-Seton, Powell-Pepper
(B.Ainsworth, D.Myers, J.Pickett)

RUCKS: M.Gawn, B.Grundy
(T.English)

FWDS: (T.Lynch,GC), I.Heeney, J.Roughead, J.Elliot, C.McCarthy, J.Bowes,
(S.Bolton, W.Rioli)

$139 000 leftover

Sam_01 · 10/02/2017 at 15:44

Put danger in your side right now mate or you will regret it

Jib_Jib · 10/02/2017 at 17:33

Hi MJ. Here are my thoughts, feel free to take them on board, dismiss them entirely or go somewhere in between.

Bob Murphy, love him but won't be anywhere near my side unless he lights up the JLT. Same with McGrath. If you're set on playing a mid-pricer at D4 I'd suggest something like downgrading McGrath to a cheap rook, upgrade Murphy to someone like Mills and use the change for another line.

If you're going to start only 4 premo mids then I wouldn't be starting anyone with recent or questionable injury history. Personally I'd be starting with 3 pure $600k+ rolled gold premos and Fyfe. Also, Danger is non-negotiable for 2017.

Rucks are good but play Str at R3, perfect captain loophole player for 2017 and ruck/fwd. You may not be starting a ruck swing in your team but you should at least keep the option open for later in the season.

Forwards are the million dollar question this year. I'm not going suggest specific players, but I think structurally you at least need another premo.

Good luck!

John · 11/02/2017 at 12:03

Too many expensive rookies. Downgrade a few of them so you can upgrade for another premo mid and probably another premo fwd. McGrath, Logue, McCluggage, SPS, Elliot, McCathy, Bowes, Swallow all expensive and are cheaper options around.

Majick · 10/02/2017 at 16:55

BACKS: B6 and Rookies still up for grabs!

H.Shaw, T.Adams, R.Laird
K.Kolodjashnij, M.Scharenberg, C.Hampton, ( L.Ryan, N.Newman)

MIDS: M6 and Rookies up for grabs.
P.Dangerfield, D.Hannebery,
T.Rockliff, N.Fyfe, T.Mitchell
D.Swallow, S.Petrevski-Seton, D.Myers, (M.Hibberd, J.Graham, C.Hewett)

RUCKS:
M.Gawn, A.Sandilands, (L.Strnadica)

FORWARDS:F4 and Rookies up for grabs.
L.Dahlhaus, T.Greene, C.Wingard, N.Hrovat, B.Eddy, (J.Pickett, D.Cameron, T.Smith)

Happy with the Structure and Strategy..

Kev · 11/02/2017 at 11:24

Looks solid, Majick. Interesting to see how KK goes with Hanley in the team. Hampton could get squeezed out of the Crows best 22.

Mac · 10/02/2017 at 19:00

Hi everyone
Im a 3yr reader but first time poster

After 6 yrs. of SC and finishing top 1000 from 2013-15 i had a
reality check last year.
Coming into the byes was ranked 85k but managed to finish of with
a 15k ranking.

MIDPRICERS they were my undoing
S Gray , Vandenburg , Sheridan , T mackenzie were the main culprits

Which brings me to this year.
Am I falling into the same trap

Def Adams Hodge Hartlett Mills Ryan Stewart ( Newman Vickers-willis )

Mid Danger Treloar Rocky Priddis Fyfe Tmitch SPP Meyers ( Pickett,hibberd,graham )

Ruck Gawn Sandi ( Strnadica )

Fwd Dahl Lynch(gc) Ryder Roughy Black Bolton ( Smith Eddy )

I am seeing so many teams almost the same (probably not a bad thing because u guys are the best)
but i see the back line as a chance to be a little different)

I would really like Laird instead of Hodge but $1800 short.
Hartlett just has to be better than his starting price.
Mills with some mid. time should push his average up aswell.
With Long missing first 2 and Scharenberg,McGrath being eased into the season i dont see the rookie depth
we are all hoping for.
And as for Ryder ( I think he owes Port ) if R1 its now or never for him.
YES… I am a Port supporter.

Anyway what does everyone think.
Rip it to shreds if i like

Jib_Jib · 10/02/2017 at 21:04

The thing with mid pricers, as you've experienced, is that you live by the sword and you die by the sword. You've got quite a few in your team compared to others. It differentiates your team but it does so at a risk. You could be falling into the same trap or you could be a genius.

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 23:39

I started last year with 5 mid pricer players. Only one was good, Wells, but he was almost a fallen premium. The fallen premium midfielder is the way to go, as long as they have no injury risk

Jib_Jib · 11/02/2017 at 13:56

100% agree.

Derek · 11/02/2017 at 17:56

Rules out Heeney, Mills, KK types. Makes Murphy, Beams, swallow, Roughie, Hartlett, Ryder types the ones to look at.

My problem last year was BCrouch, Rich, BSmith, Lobbe were never premiums.

Mac · 11/02/2017 at 20:19

yer had Smith and Crouch aswell.
            back to the drawing board

Kev · 11/02/2017 at 10:47

G'day Mac. I'll concentrate on your defence mate and why you shouldn't pick them.

Adams – Missed 22 games in 3 years. Durable enough for D1?
    Hodge – Injury risk, suspension risk, averaged over 100 once past 5 seasons. D2 worthy?
    Hartlett – You justified his selection as he "just has to better". How will he go about it? Why did his average drop so much? Role change? What's his role now? Bit of research needed from his 2016 season and how he looks in JLT.
    Mills – Selection is because of mid time. How much will he get? It could change week to week. Hold for now and hopefully answers will come

JEL · 10/02/2017 at 21:44

Toying with the idea of Sauce at R2. Averaged great in 2014/2015 but fell in a hole last year.
Any thoughts?

Derek · 10/02/2017 at 23:41

He really rely on stoppages for his points, doesn't tackle much or kick goals.

Last year we had 21% less throw in because of the deliberate out of bounds rule. Hurt his score. Will be same this year

JEL · 11/02/2017 at 15:44

Thanks for the insight, so many factors to consider.

Bill · 10/02/2017 at 23:51

Can I get some advice for this years team cheers lads

BACKS : Docherty, Shaw, Laird, Scharenberg, Hibberd, Ryan (Stewart, Long)

RUCKS: Gawn, Grundy (Strnadica)

FWDS: Macrae, Heeney, Roughead, McCluggage, Bowes, Bolton (Rioli, Eddy)

I got $9,700

Derek · 11/02/2017 at 17:50

Good team

I would have Dalhaus ahead of McCrea.

capper60 · 11/02/2017 at 18:09

not a bad effort. a good team of premos and rookies. have a look at rd 13 bye you probably have too many that have a bye that week especially in the midfield.

Leeds17 · 10/02/2017 at 23:58

Maybe a bit harsh but I reckon Grundy is really overrated, decent in the ruck contest but soundly beaten by the best and good around the ground but doesn't use it that well, doesn't kick many goals, high for clangers and hasn't shown much of a ceiling.
Work in progress imo.

I've had Gawn & Goldy, Gawn & Sandi, Gawn & Hickey and have even had a little look at Hickey, Sandi & Ryder (F4).

Sam_01 · 11/02/2017 at 08:43

If swallow is fit and hitting the park hard, is he a must have? He is a bloke that can average 90 if not more so you will make roughly 200k on him once he evens out price wise, quite a lot less riskier than sandi as there will Be plenty of mid rookies running about that you could swap him in for if worst case scenario! Could look to swap him to the likes of Robbie gray after the r9 bye. And if he does escape injury there's no real need to trade him till the other structures have been fixed up, pretty keen on him but I have gone balls to the wall in my mid right now with Fyfe at m6, should probably look at spreading my cash more evenly. Thanks community

Derek · 11/02/2017 at 10:10

If swallow averages 90 he should make $200k by round 11. A bargin rookie only has to average 55 to make same cash

Jib_Jib · 11/02/2017 at 13:54

True, but Swallow would put you 495 points up on that rookie.

Sam_01 · 11/02/2017 at 14:45

I feel like he is to good value to be ignored, if he is preforming well in JLT he has to be a lock I'd say

Derek · 11/02/2017 at 17:46

If I got him he would be M7. Taking onfield place of either Myers or SPP. I would hope those two could go close to 80 and be culled in 5 or 6 weeks and upgraded to keeper. Swallow will take longer to fatten, the points gained would soon be gone.

Different story if you are going Swallow at M6. For point scoring you are losing points to Fyfe (my M6) so you need to make it up else where with the cash saved.

We are looking for another Wells. Why he was so good last year he was FWD.

Jib_Jib · 11/02/2017 at 18:05

That M6 v M7 distinction is a very valid one. If Swallow only was mid/fwd this would be a no-brainer.

Bill · 11/02/2017 at 09:30

Kennedy & Heeney
OR
Dahl & Heppell

Kev · 11/02/2017 at 10:31

Dahl and Heppell. Just…

Heeney and Heppell are ones to watch in JLT.

John · 11/02/2017 at 09:39

Mummy is injured as well. Both are injury prone, may as well take the punt on the cheaper of the 2?

Kev · 11/02/2017 at 10:28

Cheers, Booma. Yeah, Mummy is down with an elbow. Still doing the fitness stuff which puts him ahead of Goldy in my book.

Bill · 11/02/2017 at 11:18

Pendulbery or Treloar

Kev · 11/02/2017 at 11:20

Pendles

Derek · 11/02/2017 at 17:36

I don't think Pendles will outscore Trelor by more than 12 pts. I'm going Trelor to start. Pendlebury will be an upgrade

richard · 11/02/2017 at 14:32

Forget about rookies for the moment
DEF SHAW MONTAGNA HODGE
MID DANGER PENDLES ABLETT ROCKLIFF FYFE
RUC GAWN MUMFORD
FWD DAHL BUDDY ROUGHY(HAWK)

capper60 · 11/02/2017 at 15:40

Good work as usual Kev. NICE SIDE. Will be interesting to see Matt Crouch can convert all his possessions in to SC points as he does tend to spray the ball around, Good luck with that selection. Will be interesting with Roughy and Gunston with hawthorn losing some of their star studded midfield. Will it get down there as often with quality delivery? Will be keeping eye on JLT preseason games as sides will be changed multiple times between now and then especially rookies. Mid price rookies almost always lead to heartbreak if you need to have them have as little in your side as possible Anyone interested in joining a league code is 289870.

Don't Blush Baby · 11/02/2017 at 16:09

I'm in Mark if thats ok, interesting from todays Tigers Intra Club that T.Nankervis was mentioned as one the best with a quote of 'His Job To Lose' with Hampson running laps ,bring on the JLT and we'll see.

capper60 · 11/02/2017 at 16:23

No problems. welcome aboard. Would wait and see with Nankervis to see what he scores in JLT, though he is a midpricer and I am always hesitant with that but if he gets the bulk of ruck duties his average will improve. Problem with Hampson he hasn't had a full preseason, tread carefully with him.

Don't Blush Baby · 11/02/2017 at 18:50

Was never going with Megan Gales boyfriend ,currently have Gawn / Sandi with Ryder as cover, cheers

Kev · 12/02/2017 at 14:11

Hey capper, his de% was 72.6 last year. Compared to one of the best inside mids in JPK and his de% of 67.7, Crouch stacks up pretty well. It's his TOG that needs a lift

Like your point re: delivery. It's Hawthorn after all. Remember they WANTED to move on SMitch and Lewis to give their kids a shot. I would doubt very much that they're a bunch of duds

capper60 · 12/02/2017 at 17:09

kev , sorry should have researched d/e's before making Crouch comment his d/e seems to be ok. Had him early last year and didn't seem to dispose ball as well as he could have but in the midfield there is a lot of pressure hence JPK's stats. But after researching stats, OLLIE WINES 59% D/E that is very average for an AFL footballer.

Nifty · 13/02/2017 at 01:19

Hey Cap.. I jumped in, hope that's ok..

Steve1 · 11/02/2017 at 21:27

Hi Guys, I made a league for anyone who wants to join, I had my best year and ranked 828 overall last year, not sure if i can beat that but i will try. Anyways league code is 832422 all welcome.

The BONT · 11/02/2017 at 22:34

My fourth year of SC and a lot of research had gone into the team what does everyone think

BACKS : Docherty, Shaw, Laird, Scharenberg, Hibberd, Ryan (Stewart, Long)

MIDS: Danger, Pendlebury, J.P Kennedy , Bontempelli, Fyfe, Heppell Powell-Pepper, Myers (Picket, Freeman, Graham)

RUCKS: Gawn, Grundy (Strnadica)

FWDS: Dalhaus, Macrae, Roughead, McCluggage, Bowes, Bolton (Rioli, Eddy)

Got $100 left

The BONT · 11/02/2017 at 22:58

fourth year

YUP!!!

Russ in W.A · 12/02/2017 at 00:03

I like your starting team Bont, it's all about how you trade, who you trade and when you trade them, good place to start from.

MJ*23* · 11/02/2017 at 22:57

BACKS : S.Docherty, R.Laird, T.Adams, R.Murphy, J.Berry, A.Witherden,
(L.Ryan, Z.Guthrie)

MIDS: S.Pendlebury, T.Rockliff, R.Sloane, M.Bontempelli, N.Fyfe, D.Swallow, Powell-Pepper, D.Myers
(J.Pickett, S.Bolton, J.Graham)

RUCKS: M.Gawn, B.Grundy
(M.Eagles)

FWDS: (T.Lynch,GC), I.Heeney, J.Roughead, J.Elliot, C.McCarthy, H.McCluggage,
(J.Bowes, W.Rioli)

$14,500 left

Nice Gary · 12/02/2017 at 11:03

Id say one of the worst teams iv seen

Kev · 12/02/2017 at 13:59

You must be seeing some top notch teams, Gary! Wouldn't mind having a look at yours mate

Looks pretty solid, MJ. Murphy at his age coming back from aa knee reco is a no for mine. No Danger is a massive risk. Your forwards look to heavy with Elliot, McC, McBags, Bowes all pricy options, I'd be looking at getting some cheaper rookies in

Nice Gary · 12/02/2017 at 14:03

Kev i was just kidding

It is a pretty solid team it's just the foward

Nice Gary · 12/02/2017 at 14:11

Hey i i was just kidding i know MJ 23 and My team is under the name of The BONT

MJ*23* · 12/02/2017 at 15:14

BACKS : S.Docherty, R.Laird, T.Adams, R.Murphy, J.Berry, A.Witherden,
(L.Ryan, Z.Guthrie)

MIDS: S.Pendlebury, T.Rockliff, R.Sloane, D.Martin, M.Bontempelli, N.Fyfe, D.Swallow, Powell-Pepper,
(J.Pickett, D.Myers, J.Graham)

RUCKS: M.Gawn, B.Grundy
(M.Eagles)

FWDS: J.Macrae, J.Roughead, C.McCarthy, H.McCluggage, J.Bowes, A.Black
(J.Bowes, W.Rioli)

looking good now!

Don't Blush Baby · 12/02/2017 at 23:15

Thoughts on why no Danger ? Can only see 8 – 9 keepers ? You must have a lot of $ left over ?