Jock Reynolds Supercoach PodcastEvery fair dinkum premiership tilt starts with a solid back half.

It’s the same in SuperCoach.

We start our line-by-line analysis by having a good hard look at the SuperCoach backline in 2017. We look at selections. We unpack structure. We don’t agree on a great deal of what we discuss today, but thats what makes this SuperCoach caper tick folks!

Kick back and enjoy the show!

If you have a minute – subscribe here on iTunes and write us up a quick review if you can. We’d be aroused to read your thoughts on the pod, and it helps us get a leg up on the iTunes rankings which are now being flooded by the ‘big media’ mobs.

Remember lock your copy of the 2017 Jock Reynolds Magazine in as quick as you can – going into the season without this thing will put you behind the pack

ORDER YOUR 2017 JOCK REYNOLDS SUPERCOACH MAGAZINE HERE

Look forward to the chat in the comments below community!

Jambo · 31/01/2017 at 18:13

Hi Jock,
I look forward with unbridled anticipation and excitement to read the new Jock Reynolds Magazine. A quick suggestion, if you want the magazines to arrive sooner, it might be a good idea to start posting them early Wednesday morning.
#Jock

joshy · 31/01/2017 at 18:32

Hey fellas, love your work! what are your thoughts on hodgey in the backline. lewis and mitchell both gone. may end up through the midfield, i see him carrying the team alongside titch and roughie. averaged 108 in 2015. hes in my team currently would love to hear your thoughts

John · 31/01/2017 at 18:58

For what its worth I like him, just a question of durability/suspension. Also like Silk and Pieman said he would get the inside info from the man himself.

I N Pieman · 31/01/2017 at 19:46

I will see him over the next fortnight when our lads basketball team resumes the season. Having thought about it he may start as a mid but at his age I doubt he could do it all season. May rotate with hodge & a few others. He has only missed 4 games in the last 6 seasons which is extremely appealing. Silk is a gun & a lovely bloke. Must be considered

John · 31/01/2017 at 20:19

Yes also Langford, O'Rouke will be pushing for midfield spots

I N Pieman · 31/01/2017 at 20:37

O'Rourke needs to do something. He's been hideous. Langford has also dropped off. They will get opportunities

AMAC · 31/01/2017 at 21:44

Hodge has not played a full season in the last 9 years! The slightest niggle and be belts someone to get himself a rest. Despite the fact that I am an Essendon supporter I admire the man. He is a gun. In saying that though I could not pick him in Supercoach. Yes I think he will play more time in the middle and yes I think he will have a higher average. But, he will miss games. Probably more than a few, and he will not make the top 10 overall defenders. End of the day. No thanks.

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 17:44

he is the man (with Silk) to go into the guts this year. At $481k he is a teasing price.

JerseyforHawks · 15/02/2017 at 12:18

As a Hawks backer – I agree. Always gets niggles, and punches a lot – pass.

THE SALTSHAKERS · 04/02/2017 at 16:02

took him 2yrs ago was a great pick. Watch NAB cup, if he is attending a lot of centre clearances then its a lock for me at that price.

Lachie · 31/01/2017 at 18:39

Pretty solid team there. Bit of a risk with the amount of injury clouds that were previously over some of those mids. Last season proved that injuries ruin supercoachers.

Tommo09 · 31/01/2017 at 18:49

Thanks Lachie
    I am worried about my midfield injuries but I think that if they stay on the park, they could all do well

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 17:41

injuries stuffed my 2016. won't be letting that happen again

G Man · 31/01/2017 at 18:48

Expecting this will be a fantastic podcast as always fellas, haven't has time to listen in yet by am anticipating much of the usual greatness!

Anyway, here's my second draft of a team for 2017, pretty happy with the structure and selections but would welcome any thoughts or advice:

D: Adams, Laird, JJ, Berry, Hibberd, Ryan (Stewart, Long)
M: Danger, JPK, Bont, Fyfe, Beams, Swallow, Myers, SPP (Pickett, Brown, Graham)
R: Gawn, Sandi (Strnadica)
F: Dahl, Macrae, Caddy, Heeney, Harley, Rough (W Rioli, Eddy)

Cheers

Kev · 31/01/2017 at 19:27

Looking good, G. Few rookie forward options you could take advantage of, use the cash to upgrade Swallow. Beams at M6 would make for a very strong looking unit.

Not a fan of Adams. Good scorer but misses too often for mine.

G Man · 31/01/2017 at 19:52

Cheers for the advice Kev, have been contemplating a number of premo defence combinations so far and I'm sure I'll make a few changed after listening to the podcast. I'm not 100% sold on Adams either, and am contemplating whether or not to save some cash and go with McDonald/Tuohy/Hibberd or find some cash to go Doc/Shaw/Simpson. Initially I did want both Simpson and Docherty in my team but wanted to save cash to build around the forward line, looking back though I could probably ditch Bennell and maybe Rough (pending jlt form) for some of those cheaper rookies to improve my defence or as you say my midfield. Are you not a fan of Swallow? Or do you prefer him as a M7 instead?

Kev · 31/01/2017 at 21:08

D1 you want a good reliable defender. Doc/Simmo/Shaw fit the bill perfectly for that.

Swallow. Again, good player but not often enough. Seen plenty of teams going keeper premo to M6 with SPP at M7. Is Swallow worth the extra 150k? Probably not.

Jib JIb · 31/01/2017 at 23:32

The thing you have to ask with Swallow, or any mid priced/fallen premo player: "Is he going to be a top 8 or 10 is his position?" and "Is he going to go up $200k?". If the answer isn't a "yes" to either/both then pass.

Swallow is a no/maybe.

Keenbutclueless · 01/02/2017 at 01:58

You are exactly right in your logic. I am taking Swallow because I think he can average 90 and earn the 200k. He may even have an upside on this, given he has averaged more than 100 before.

Jib JIb · 01/02/2017 at 11:44

I think he'll have scores above 100, but I strongly doubt he'll average above 100 this year. Even if he did it only puts him in the top 30. If your getting him for cash generation you should consider the fact that a cheap rookie averaging 70 will make the same money way way faster, therefore is that extra 150k-160k your planning spending on Swallow (instead of a rookie) better spent upgrading another some other mid pricer to a premo?

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 18:10

all about the rookies. if plenty of rookies no problem, otherwise i can see Swallow taking M7

Kim · 01/02/2017 at 22:46

I agree in part swallow ah not av 100 across the season, however, a rookie may only av 70 if swallow averages 90 until his bye up will have earned 20'points per game more than having a rookie and easy upgrade to fallen premium. That's the reason I am picking swallow, not keeper, don't need him to be either. Just needs to average 90+ and get through to round 9 which I think he will on both accounts.

A guy · 31/01/2017 at 18:54

Simpson, Adams, laird, McGrath, Ryan, scharenberg, Stewart, long
Danger, pendles, hanners, Sloane, Fyfe, beams, SPP, Myers, berry, freeman, Pickett
Goldy, sandi, strndica
Dollhouse, macrae, Ryder, lobb, Bolton, Rioli, eddy, smith
All feedback appreciated
Thanks community

Bob · 31/01/2017 at 19:05

Good to see Jock is also a fan of the 4-0-4 for defence this year!

DEF: Doch, Heater, Laird, Tmac, Scharen, Ryan (Stewart, Long)
MID: Danger, Pendles, JPK, Jelwood, Zerrett, Fyfe, SPP, Myers (Freeman, Brown, Graham)
RUC: Gawn, Sandi (Strnadica)
FWD: Dahl, Roughy, Boyd, Black, Pickett, Rioli (Smith, Eddy)

90.5k left

Have at me

AMAC · 31/01/2017 at 22:09

Yes Bob, that is indeed the sort of backline structure Jock seems to be advocating. I wouldn't want you to leave your forward line structure so weak/risky though. Consider a midfield downgrade and a fwd upgrade.

Bob · 31/01/2017 at 23:17

Cheers AMAC but I'm pretty set with going balls out with this structure this year. Not many stand out forwards IMO so just going to sit back for a few rounds to see which players are the must haves. By starting more keepers in defence and midfield it should allow me to focus more intensive trading efforts up forward – that's the plan anyway!

Tombstone · 31/01/2017 at 19:06

Adams, Laird, Hartlett, Hibberd, rookies…

Hartlett deserves more talk and Hibberd hopefully gets back to his best

Don't think Shaw or Docherty are worth the dosh, and would rather spend it elsewhere

AMAC · 31/01/2017 at 22:42

I agree Tombstone: Hartlett. Clearly can find the football. On the chopping block though at port. why? Reportedly rejected by most clubs due to his price tag. Shoulders are bandaged up like mummys and yet he appeared to be fairly durable before 2016. Port just don't seem like a proud club atm. Appears to be some sort of disease there. The fall since 2014 is epic! Wingard I put in the same basket. Ryder worries me too. If Port can show me something in early 2017 then I am interested. Maybe if OW, RG, BDJ, JP and SPP prove to be as tough as we think they are then something will change. I have my doubts.

AMAC · 31/01/2017 at 22:44

Hibberd, the boy can play. Will get back to 90+ average this year. was completely worn down by wada. Fresh and firing this year! Not sure if he is top 6 though.

THE SALTSHAKERS · 04/02/2017 at 16:06

Heater tearing up training track, lock

Bob · 31/01/2017 at 19:23

Starting Gaz despite the orange hat? You're a braver man than me.

Luskin Star · 31/01/2017 at 23:13

Has he still got orange hat?

Bob · 31/01/2017 at 23:23

Last I heard

wombatsfc · 31/01/2017 at 23:44

I think everybody over 30 at suns wears an orange hat until preseason comp. if not maybe they're all injured

Matthew English · 31/01/2017 at 19:25

DEF: Docherty, Laird, Adams, McGrath, Scharenberg, Stewart. (Ryan, Long)
MID: Danger, Pendles, JPK, Treloar, Fyfe, Brodie, Gallucci, SPP. (Myers, Gore, Graham)
RUC: Gawn, Goldy. (English)
FWD: Dahlhaus, Macrae, Greene, McCluggage, Picket, W.Rioli. (Smith, Eddy)

Would love everyone's brutally honest opinion, and any feedback would be appreciated!

Keenbutclueless · 01/02/2017 at 01:24

Check out the magazine article on high price rookies versus Low price rookies. If you downgrade those 200k rookies, you may find another keeper. No mid pricers is good. You are a fraction lopsided on the byes. Round 11 in particular. Maybe Docherty for Rance or Macrae for Caddy to even that up. The Docherty suggestion is based on the premise that you can bring him in cheaper later. Like the podcast, that's a point of view that seems to divide the community a bit.

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 18:06

one of the best guns n rookie teams i've seen.

Greene is a nice POD, (i've got Cyril at F3 as my POD)

THE SALTSHAKERS · 04/02/2017 at 16:09

greene was excellent last year and he still only managed 94sc, a few of his larger scores were when he played mid early in year. Was effective fwd so theyll play him there again. No for me just based on more fwd than mid.

Elmeano · 31/01/2017 at 19:37

DEF : Montagna , Admas , Laird , McGrath , Scharenberg, Berry ( Ryan , Stewart )
MID : Dangers , Pendles , Treloar , FyFe , Heppell , Swallow , Beams , SPP ( Myers , Bolton , Graham )
RUC: Gawn, Sandi (Strnadica)
FWD : Dahlhaus , Caddy , Ryder , Hosk-elliot , Black ,Pickett ( Smith , Eddy )

Second season for afl fantasy and would love anyones input into team. Would love a heap of this community to join my league 180303 if interested as it would be a good experience to play against some more experienced players. Learnt a heap from going through everyones posts , cheers. 39.3k in the bank.

Jim · 05/02/2017 at 16:44

Pros:
    Midfield depth

Cons:
    Sandi yuk..
    Aaron Black in the best 22?

Mac is back jr · 31/01/2017 at 19:43

Defence is a real tough one many ways you can go to build up your team
At the moment I'm sitting on – Doc Adams Laird and vlastuin for a 3-1-4

Fat · 31/01/2017 at 21:30

Why vlaustin?

Mac is back jr · 31/01/2017 at 22:10

cos he will be getting more midfield time and a good upgrade after the byes when he has reached 450+k

S Rivo · 31/01/2017 at 19:55

Loving he Tuesday podcasts – gets me through the week Jock. Defence is always a tough starting structure. I have opted for 4 x premos with a couple of rookies.

Doc, Shaw, Rance, T. Adams, McGrath, Ryan (Stewart, Long).

Think Rance a steadier option to Laird & like the rookie picks for now.

Andrew G · 31/01/2017 at 20:00

Great podcast yet again fellas!!

Also a Big fan of Higgo's 3-0-5 defencive structure. We have solid defender premos this year and also many promising "potential" (Jock's fav word) cash-cows at this stage of pre-season. Good Balance of point-scoring and cash-generation capability imo. Durability is my main priority when picking Premo's. Particularly in DEF.

DEF: Shaw, Simpson, Rance, L.Ryan, Stewart, Hibbered, (K.Collins, McLarty)
MID: Danger, Pendles, Kennedy, Treloar, Fyfe, Heppell, SPP, Myers, (Grayam, S.Bolten, C.Brown)
RCK: Goldstein, Sandi (Strnadica)
FWD: Kennedy, Deledeo, Gunston, Roughy, Smith, Eddy (Pickett, Long)

Probably need one more 'breakout contender' in my team somewhere.

Thanks Community.

S Rivo · 31/01/2017 at 20:56

Maybe have a look at Dane Rampe?

Keenbutclueless · 01/02/2017 at 01:26

I had him last year as my breakout player. Was All Australian but underwhelming in SC. personally I won't be going near him this year

graham · 31/01/2017 at 20:37

roughy or bennel
priddis, rockliff, treloar or one of the sydney mids

SCaddict · 31/01/2017 at 20:57

Priddis does have the advantage of a rare Rd12 bye so that's one slight tick in his favour. Although how much he is hurt, if at all, by NicNat's absence remains to be seen.

JPK can be a slow starter, Parker is coming off knee surgery, and Rocky has been injury prone the last few years so they all have their pros and cons really. So maybe Treloar who has an ok Rd13 bye and has proven robust and still improving could be the one to choose.

One advantage of a Swans gun mid is that Sydney have a sh1te load of Friday games this season which is great for captain's loophole if you are short of options in a given weekend. Sydney play 7 Friday night games and 2 Thursdays!

Bells E Bubb · 05/02/2017 at 22:40

Consider Hanners. He is training the house down. Prob a nice POD at this stage.

JerseyforHawks · 15/02/2017 at 12:19

I like it, nice suggestion.

S Rivo · 31/01/2017 at 21:04

Pre season will tell. I am leaning to Roughy, more reliable form line and great value at $367k, Bennel higher ceiling though watch his early form. Perhaps start with Treloar and look at JPK after the byes.

Kev · 31/01/2017 at 21:09

Rough.
    JPK.

Andrew G · 31/01/2017 at 21:41

Roughy for me. More reliable form line as others have mentioned.
    For me I would pick Kennedy>Treloar>rockliff>priddis (who usually starts slow).
    Sydney has the better mid overall and will be there abouts again.

JerseyforHawks · 15/02/2017 at 12:23

sorry, gong with chalk – Roughie & Priddis. Think pairing Gunston & Sammie Mitchell as both will benefit also. Double down, mate.

richard · 31/01/2017 at 20:52

Brilliant podcast as usual.
Going with guns and rookies (which i have yet to decide) pre-season will make it all a bit clearer.
DEF Docherty Shaw Rance Byes 11,13,12
MID Danger Pendles Kennedy J.Selwood Treloar Byes 12,13,11,12,13
RUC Gawn Mumford Byes 11,13
FWD J.Kennedy Dalhaus Gunston Byes 12,11,13
Any comments welcome

Kev · 31/01/2017 at 22:07

Mumford to miss a month a with elbow injury

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 17:57

round 1 is over a month away

SCaddict · 01/02/2017 at 18:46

True but it's not great news to hear that a heavily injury prone player like the big Mummy has had a fairly significant setback.

So I would be looking at say Grundy for similar money or a cheap as chips Sandi for R2 instead.

Then again I've never been much of a Mummy advocate although I do have to give the big lug props for managing 21 games last season plus 2 finals.

Soothsayer · 02/02/2017 at 15:09

Is Maric really that bad? Can he come back?

T-Mitch · 31/01/2017 at 21:55

3-0-5 is how I go every year, I also briefly consider 2-0-6 but never go through with it

Jib Jib · 31/01/2017 at 23:22

6 rookies on one line is just too many. The risk of having one (or some) fall on their face pre-bubble is too high. Then you get a Kane Lambert shaped stain on on the underpant of your team for 10+ weeks.

AMAC · 31/01/2017 at 21:57

Another great POD fellas! Bit of agro!
Tend to agree with all of you off and on
Agree with Jock about Doc, Higgo there is no way the best backmen goes and plays touch and feel with some small forward. pfft. Onwards and Upwards!
May well be the year of the old Rooster Crouching!
Fwiw I'm not rating the back rookies yet. Proactively sticking with 3-1-4 at this point.

Jambo · 31/01/2017 at 23:41

Pros: Great bunch of premiums. I like your choices of rookies. I love your choice of Lynch.
Cons: Too many mid-pricers.

Lachie · 01/02/2017 at 00:10

In my opinion, Macrae is a little overrated at this point. Has huge competition in the bulldog outfit, priced at 520k, little room for cash generation. Many are starting with him. I think starting without him has better benefits.

Keenbutclueless · 01/02/2017 at 01:29

Agreed. But he does appeal as a bit of a set and forget option. Safe to say he will average around 95, based on his last few years. He's reasonably durable. In a good team, and has DPP. In a sea of speculative choices, he does offer something, even if he is priced close to his maximum

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 17:55

i think his best days are still to come.

Leeds17 · 02/02/2017 at 06:14

Pretty heavy mid rotation at the dogs but Macrae is a genuine ball magnet

Tommo · 01/02/2017 at 11:01

Alright guys here is my team as it sits, would really appreciate any feedback you can give 🙂

DEF: S.Docherty, H.Shaw, R,Laird, H.Hartlett, A.McGrath, M.Scharenberg (J.Berry, L.Ryan)

MID: Danger, DePendlebury, JPK, J.Selwood, N.Fyfe, D.Swallow, SPP, D.Myers (C.Brown, S.Bolton, B.Jarman)

RUCK: S.Martin A.Sandilands (L.Strndica)

FWD: J.Macrea, I.Heeney, P.Ryder, J.Roughead, H.McCluggage, J.Pickett (T.Smith, B.Eddy)

Any advice/thoughts you kinda ladies and gentleman are willing to share will be much appreciated 🙂

neil demons delight · 01/02/2017 at 12:49

Hi Tommo almost the same as mine so I have to say well done son.Differences being GAWN for MARTIN SLOAN for SELWOOD though I think youre right here DAHL 4 Heeney and I have tossed this one about and Neale 4 swallow confident about Neale You guys must know something about Eddy that I don't can you let me in also Ben Jarmans interesting

Kev · 01/02/2017 at 14:14

Jarman on the rookie list. Won't play early. Neale not doing full sessions at training

Tommo · 01/02/2017 at 16:04

I've chosen Martin over Gawn as I think Gawn should drop a bit early and I'm hoping Martin rises so I can just go a straight upgrade when Gawn is cheapest.
      I am actually considering going Selwood -> Sloan but I am also thinking of going Selwood -> Priddis after the bye rounds because Priddis usually drops to around $500k.

With the Eddy and Jarman choices Eddy was the SANFL's leading goal-kicker and has been drafted as a mature age recruit so I reckon he's a fairly good chance to play which should make him a pretty neat cash cow. Same reason for selecting Jarman – hopefully he gets me a bit of cash.

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 17:49

i'm worried about Archie

SupercoachNerd · 01/02/2017 at 13:39

I really like the jelwood pick

Tommo · 01/02/2017 at 15:55

Not sure if thats sarcasm or not because I've had heaps of people saying that its a silly pick since Danger might take a few of his points haha

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 17:48

he's in my team. locked

SupercoachNerd · 02/02/2017 at 12:51

Being serious he averaged 111 last year when he played with danger

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 17:54

i sorta don't mind the Hartlett selection at D4. He is a true midfielder playing with defence status, usually Gold. He has averaged near 100 in seasons gone by and he does look alot like Robbie Gray. He is also cheap and i can't see you losing any money. Not a bad risk considering the amount of overpriced premium defenders this year. While you see how the hartlett experiment works out, there will be at least one of the big gun defence keepers falling in value that you can jump over to without much cost.

SupercoachNerd · 02/02/2017 at 12:58

I don't mind him at all but I am not starting him

Shirl · 10/02/2017 at 19:00

Effvitceely well effectively investigate exactly what you include right here. This resembles an additional remarkable blog that a load of people become commenting on. Thank you just so much for the intelligent details as well as prudence, I signed upped to the comments in case another person wishes to come by and get a debate on this stuff

http://meinebestefinanzierung.info/kredit/kredit-für/kredit-ohne-kredit-von-privat-kredit-für-selb · 22/02/2017 at 19:37

I love commentluv because it reflect my recent post every time I am making a comment. Thanks for sharing the list, which is very useful to me. But I wonder if the free downloadable tool is applicable to Linux users? Anyway, thanks for sharing the insights about commentluv.

The Mont · 01/02/2017 at 13:31

Hey fellas, would love some feedback on my team

DEF: Shaw, Laird, Johannisen, Hibberd (ESS), Hibberd (NTH), Ryan (Steward, Long)
MID: Dangerfield, Pendles. JPK, Fyfe, Beams, Swallow, SPP, Myres (Berry, Maynard, Junker)
RUC: Gawn, Martin (Strnadica)
FWD: Dahl, Macrae, Caddy, Ryder, Pickett, Eddy (Rioli, Smith)

Cheers

SupercoachNerd · 01/02/2017 at 13:39

Hibberd now plays for Melbourne but I like your team

The Mont · 01/02/2017 at 13:59

SupercoachNerd, yeh sorry ahaha and thankyou

Kim · 02/02/2017 at 20:32

Gawn and Martin have same round 11 bye, not sure I would want both rucks out during round 11, not if going for the 50k

Lolly · 10/02/2017 at 21:27

It’s great to read something that’s both enjoyable and provides prmaagtisdc solutions.

Jib JIb · 01/02/2017 at 13:51

Hey on the bright side at least you were set for your VC loophole! 😉

Rabbits16 · 01/02/2017 at 14:00

lorly lairld hard tissue in trowser welcome hahaha

wombatsfc · 01/02/2017 at 14:25

We all need a new rookie to replace J Berry. Knee surgery 6-weeks out

Big G · 01/02/2017 at 15:19

Rookies going down more annoying than premiums – I knew something like that would happen. Thanks for the info.

Damien · 01/02/2017 at 15:25

Ed Vickers-Willis won't score as much as Berry but he's 123,900 and will play the loose man in defence for North this season, by all reports.

Tommo · 01/02/2017 at 16:08

Its minor surgery and he is expected to play late in the JLT community series. I'd go with Vickers-Willis and watch how Berry goes if he plays pre-season

Kev · 01/02/2017 at 17:35

Lions final preseason game is on the 11th. If Berry doesn't line up for that it would be a tough call to start him

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 17:47

heard an interview with Beams, says that McCluggage and Berry are the young boys most likely to get an early game at the Lions.

Pitch 72 · 01/02/2017 at 16:31

I'm calling it everyone. This season will be the rise of Jack Martin.

Ryan · 01/02/2017 at 16:35

Do i Go Docherty or hibberd and do i go sanderlands or wingard feedback plz

Kev · 01/02/2017 at 17:30

Doch/Hibbo

wombatsfc · 01/02/2017 at 16:54

I'm expecting a lot from Blues draftees this year including the blokes from last year so I went to a Princes park training session this week to see if I could scoop another POD rookie to go with Petrevski-seton.

I was watching the mids and fwds when I noticed on the other side of the ground a skinny little kid who looked to be about 17 working with the defenders. This kid was ripping it up, taking pack marks against the grownups, landing big tackles on grown men despite looking only 60kg and delivering the ball with pinpoint accuracy over 50 metres off either foot. I thought "you bloody ripper there's my POD defender rookie" and I raced around the ground to see who it was. I was devastated… it was Simmo

Damien · 01/02/2017 at 18:56

I've been told to keep an eye on Cameron Polson and Tom Williamson, both tearing it up. Blues like Williamson's run off half back, and Polson's been explosive in match simulations, Polson's also put on about 4kg since he's got there.

Northernsoul74 · 01/02/2017 at 19:38

Williamson is a good player. Very good pick up in the draft.

wombatsfc · 01/02/2017 at 21:54

Zac Fisher could bee a suprise up front before Pickett the way things are going to Damien. The way he hits a contest it's like a Chihuahua that thinks it's a Rottweiler. Wanting the ball more than the other blokes and having the guts to get it no matter what the obstacle is 90% of the game at this level and he's got that in buckets.

Jack · 01/02/2017 at 18:09

Good rookies for defence under 140?

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 18:16

heard an interview with Beams, says that McCluggage and Berry ($139k) are the young boys most likely to get an early game at the Lions.

leedy · 01/02/2017 at 18:22

How is Beams tracking. Did he say?

SCaddict · 01/02/2017 at 18:56

Quite well apparently. It was an excerpt from another fantasy podcast that I think Derek was referring to.

Beamsy is hoping/expecting to play the 2nd and 3rd JLT games and then line-up for Rd1 if things go to plan from here onwards.

leedy · 02/02/2017 at 13:26

<p dir=”ltr”>Thanks mate. Need to cut back from a premo to Beams for some coin, now that Sandi has done his calf. Cheers.

Redgumwon · 01/02/2017 at 18:38

Berry has had a knee op. There is a article at the AFL site. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-01/knee-blow-f

wombatsfc · 01/02/2017 at 22:02

Nobody knows until JLT Jack but if you look at the teams posted here http://www.jockreynolds.com.au/2017/01/23/superco… and the first cheat sheet for those who don't read the comments to discover the gold here http://www.jockreynolds.com.au/2017/01/16/rookie-
    you should get an idea of the general consensus

I N Pieman · 01/02/2017 at 18:50

Thoughts on Rucks and Forwards and Denfence ideas

Scop · 01/02/2017 at 18:52

Pieman have u lookedat doch and Adams in def

wombatsfc · 01/02/2017 at 20:06

Hahaha starting again mate?

DJFloorboy · 01/02/2017 at 19:19

Where is your cover if Sandi goes down??

Tommo09 · 01/02/2017 at 20:10

He is injured now but I am keeping him until the real season starts to see if he plays R1

jockreynolds · 01/02/2017 at 19:54

Just off the phone with Ross lads – Sandiballs has stuffed his calf. Whack a line straight through him.

Harvey · 01/02/2017 at 20:07

Massive blow to many SuperCoaches!

wombatsfc · 01/02/2017 at 20:08

Elliot to JThomas Sandi to stef I expected to have to do it before the byes anyway

Northernsoul74 · 01/02/2017 at 20:12

Minor calf,3-5 weeks. That's a major concern.

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 20:19

Stuff that!

Northernsoul74 · 01/02/2017 at 20:22

I'll still consider him if he makes the last JLT. Minor calf tightness but it does make cover really important if you go in with him.

wombatsfc · 01/02/2017 at 21:33

every below waist injury he gets turns into a toe problem though

SCaddict · 01/02/2017 at 20:29

Geez Mummy earlier today and now Sandiballs. They are dropping like flies already and we are still over two weeks to go before we even play preseason games. Ruck options drying up at an alarming rate. No NicNat either obviously.

So hopefully the three Gs (Goldy/Gawn/Grundy) don't run over any black cats between now and Rd1!

wombatsfc · 01/02/2017 at 21:36

Petrie looking better everyday. In 1st 6 weeks he could make as much as the pricey rooks and score as much as a struggling premo. Been doing very very well in ruck drills and training the house down, 1st game V Goldy should be a ripper

Dont Blush Baby · 01/02/2017 at 22:01

Neale & Bennell are also struggling to be fully fit

hedski · 01/02/2017 at 20:49

Fug just snuck him in ignore V3 above

Lucas · 01/02/2017 at 20:41

Shaun Burgoyne. Please discuss

wombatsfc · 01/02/2017 at 21:43

Not a very productive way to start a discussion Lucas, surely you know more about him than his name.
    I don't know him personally but those who do say that he is an absolute gentleman, an natural leader, is deep thinker and philosopher, has courage that makes soldiers weep in appreciation and he has never said a bad word about any living creature.
    Not sure about his family life or social life but that's none of our business.
    As an AFL footballer he's the best defender to never wear the navy blue jumper

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 23:06

Gun. Too expensive.

poloko48 · 02/02/2017 at 11:05

In my team as D3

wombatsfc · 01/02/2017 at 20:43

Need a sub 500k ruck to replace Sandi?
Who will benefit most from no 3rd man up ruck rule? My theory is that it will be the shorter rucks.
So, who is a shortarse ruck that has aved over 90? Stef Martin, Mummy, Ryder are all tiny rucks and are 2cm+ shorter than Levi Casboult, Ty Vickery, Westhoff, Kruezer, Lobbe, and same imperial height (6'5") as known midgets Jack Watts, Jono Freeman, Hawkins, Liam Jones.
Stef has a 3 year rolling ave of 104, mummy 106 and ryder 92.

hedski · 01/02/2017 at 20:51

Big Stef wombats, I'm slottin him straight back in

wombatsfc · 01/02/2017 at 20:52

Main reason shorter rucks will benefit is the Nicholls phenomena. named after 5'11" ruck legend Big John.
    How it works, Low centre of gravity with tree trunk stability hold off gangly buggas with a straight arm or body sheppard so they can't reach the ball. Teams have countered this in the past by using a 3rd man up. Could be best ever seasons for mummy stef etc

hedski · 01/02/2017 at 21:08

Yep 100% agree nil 3rd man up will benefit Stef, if he was a bit niggly last year should fire and be a bargain wit Gawn set/forget.
      On a side note is it any wonder Daniel Shit Rich with his short arms is a leper. (Re Derek's theory)

Derek · 01/02/2017 at 23:05

Apparently there is a ripper article in magazine about this. Plenty about the Saint Kilda boy.

Rich does have very short arms.

hedski · 01/02/2017 at 23:24

Am keenly awaiting my bible
          (With my long arms)

Harvey · 01/02/2017 at 23:04

everyone has forgooten about jacobs ahha he averaged a solid 105 1-2 year ago

Keenbutclueless · 01/02/2017 at 23:41

Injured and interrupted pre season. Could have been a sneaky upgrade target if starting with Sandi, but those plans are well and truly ditched

Patch · 01/02/2017 at 23:21

Waiting to see the magazine before calling a replacement, but I'm thinking it might be the taller rucks who can just reach over their opponents and clobber it away. Gawn, Sandi, Tippett and co, otherwise those ruckmen who are more mobile and can jump over opponents – a la Paddy Ryder or NicNat.

But it's all pure speculation on my behalf here

AMAC · 01/02/2017 at 22:42

Interesting theory, but in practice I could not agree less. Centre bounce must go straight up or recalled therefore the better jumper will win 99% of the time for circa 25 ball ups per game. A similar strategy will apply to ball ups in game (say 25 more and 99% to the taller/better jumper). The only time the Nicholls phenonema will hold is with boundary throw ins and that is where Stef has the advantage.

AMAC · 01/02/2017 at 22:51

The new rule suits Nic Nat the most, but he is obviously injured. I'm starting to think the rule will suit Paddy Ryder

Harvey · 01/02/2017 at 23:02

DEF :Laird, Adams, Tmac, Mcgrath, Scharenberg, Berry ( Ryan, Long)

MID: Danger, Ablett, JPK, Parker, Fyfe, Swallow, Pepper, Myers (Freeman, Grahman, Leonardis)

RUC: Gawn, Ryder (rookie)

FWD: Dalhaus, Macrae, Caddy, Heeny, Bowes, Pickett ( Black, Eddy)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated cheers!

poloko48 · 02/02/2017 at 11:03

My thoughts:
    – Ryder as R2 a bit risky IMHO but could pay off.
    – Could do with another fwd premo as Caddy a bit hit or miss potentially, even though at new club.
    – Have also gone cold on Heeney, awkward price and will he be top 10 fwd? I have a feeling Swans will drop this year (and I'm a Swans supporter)

Harvey · 02/02/2017 at 13:17

yeah very nice feedback cheers boss

Patch · 01/02/2017 at 23:07

Getting to this one late, but ripping stuff as always. Laird and Simpson locks in the backline for me. Doch's standard deviation is higher so will be easier to pick up later.

Not sold on Adams either, but simply due to his injury and suspension history.

I'm looking at only running two premiums in the backline, if the crop of rookies is strong enough to sustain us. A sneaky mid pricer might be floating in there, but I'm keeping him under my hat until I can confirm I'm not going insane.

OldOcker · 02/02/2017 at 05:47

Patch, Could be the same sneaky mid pricer as mine mate. Does he play for Ess?

Super BJ · 02/02/2017 at 07:11

Midfield question. I have rocky as a lock. I also have beams and marc murphy. Is it too risky to have both? Thinking of either upgrading 1 to shiel or downgrading 1 to d swallow

ado · 02/02/2017 at 09:30

g'day lads, just want to know your thoughts on my squad
docherty, johannisen, z. williams, hibberd, bob murphy, scharenberg (berry, ryan)
Dangerfield, jpk, Fyfe, beams, marc murphy, swallow, ash mcgrath, d myers ( galluci, powell-pepper, graham)
Grundy, ryder (eagles)
Dahlhaus, Macrae, Bennell, Roughead, McCluggage, Pickett ( t smith, B eddy)

$40,600 in the bank

Adam · 02/02/2017 at 09:56

Thoughts on going with a discounted backline of R Murphy, M Johnson, M Williams, L Dunn, M Scharenebrg and C Hampton. All have previously averaged over 80 for consecutive years except M Williams. Roughly a 70-80 average over the first 7 rounds would be needed for them to appreciate to around 400,000. It allows the midfield to be 7 deep with Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Kennedy, Hannebery, Selwood, Sloane and Fyfe, rucks of Goldy and Sandi and fwds of Riewoldt, Dahlhaus and Roughead. The plan would be for rookies such as C McCarthy, R Knight, N Freeman, N Newman, D Myers, S Powell-Pepper, etc to appreciate to roughly 300,000 whilst the 4 backline midpricers rise to around or over 400,000. That should allow 2 cash cows to be downgraded freeing up money to upgrade to 4 defenders such as Simpson, Montagna, Shaw and Docherty before the Port/GC bye. I wouldn't go through with the option but I thought I would throw it out there as an alternative.

SCaddict · 02/02/2017 at 11:58

I'd probably avoid Johnson. Has never been a top 8 defender and in fact never averaged aged over 90 in his career.

So little point starting with a guy with recent and significant injury history, now compounded by legal problems, who will probably only make you $50K-$100K that you'll likely have to trade at some point. So I believe you would be better served with a rookie for cash cow purposes, even a more expensive one like McGrath.

Overall you have a very lopsided structure for the taste of many coaches but until we know the actual playing rookie landscape I wouldn't get too attached to a particular structure, especially an extreme one like this.

Dukes · 02/02/2017 at 12:11

Ambitious

Derek · 02/02/2017 at 13:34

great in theory, but you will run out of trades.

Tjd · 02/02/2017 at 10:00

Depending on rookies available is a 4 0 4 defense line possible this year. I like the idea because the defence rookies aren't usually great. What are everyone's thoughts of wearing the forward line and jam packing the defence?

ethan · 02/02/2017 at 11:31

depends what ur forward line is like. There are a couple of risks in the forward line that could be worth taking (bennell, Roughead)

Leeds17 · 02/02/2017 at 22:35

You'd want to be super confident you are picking 4 of the top DEFs otherwise you could get left behind with FWDs generally scoring more.

poloko48 · 02/02/2017 at 11:23

poloko48 team v4:

DEF: Doc, Heater, Silk, Scharenberg, Collins, Ryan (Stewart, Long)
MID: Danger, Pendles, JPK, Fyfe, Prestia, DSwallow, Ainsworth, Myers (SPP, Pickett, Witherden)
RUC: Gawn, Witts (Strnadica)
FWD: Dahl, Buddy, Macrae, Roughy, White, Bowes (Gallucci, Eddy)

Changes from v3:
Freeman OUT, DSwallow IN
Sandy OUT, Witts IN
Heeney OUT, Dahl IN
Ryder OUT, Bowes IN

Leaves my structure with just 2 midpricers (DSwalllow – upgrade at bye, Roughy – keeper F6 at worst)
Haven't really looked at byes as most current rooks will be upgraded by then.
Witts is speculative atm so may change and still have $126K in the kitty if needed.

In terms of keepers bye structure as follows (currently have 13 keepers):
R11: 7
R12: 11
R13: 8

Thoughts?

BADUI BOURIZK · 02/02/2017 at 13:50

My try.
Thanks for all the helpful comments. Chopped and changed a bit after reading some suggestions from posters.

Derek · 02/02/2017 at 14:20

you are a brave man with that team. sleepless nights ahead.

Derek · 02/02/2017 at 14:32

Woosha said in a recent interview when asked if there are any other Draftees (besides McGrath) who were likely to get a game. his response was Jordan Ridley looks an exciting prospect.

This is significant as he has FWD/DEF DPP.

Dont Blush Baby · 05/02/2017 at 11:39

Yep, Ridley at one end and B.Long at other atm

Keenbutclueless · 02/02/2017 at 18:23

Starting to get jittery in Defence. Woosha today said that McGrath was no certainty for Round 1. He's done half the work of the senior squad and was likely to be eased into his AFL career. Buckley said that Scharenburg was likely to come back via VFL. Mitchell Hibberd at D4? Not sure I am that brave. Looks like Jock's 4-0-4 is perhaps the way to go. Shame. My team looked awesome at 3-0-5, 6-0-4, 2-0-0, 3-0-5. Now it's back to the drawing board

I N Pieman · 02/02/2017 at 22:50

McGrath is an absolute lock – mark my words!. Woosha is just talking rubbish.

Keenbutclueless · 02/02/2017 at 23:07

Gee I hope you are right. The team looked best at 3-0-5 and to take it to 4-0-4 I really have to take Docherty. Which goes against my better judgement because I think can get him cheaper later. Also meant dropping Titchell, which I really didn't want to do. A lot of things swinging on one rookie, but if it comes off, I will be very happy. Thanks Pieman. Your rookie write ups have really kept me on a straight path this pre season.

PJ8 · 03/02/2017 at 09:01

Still early, a few will rookies/cheapies will pop up and get early games.

ethan · 02/02/2017 at 19:32

thoughts community

DEF: Leigh, Adams, Laird, Scharenburg, Berry, Ryan (Stewart, Long)

Mid: Danger, JPK, Priddis, Sloane, Sidebottom, Fyfe, Dwallow, Myers (SPP, Bolton, Graham)

Ruck: Gawn, Sandi (Cameron)

Forward: Dalhaus, Macrae, Caddy, Bowes, Pickett, Smith (Black, Eddy)

Tjd · 02/02/2017 at 20:50

Scrap Sandy

Boomer · 10/02/2017 at 13:45

Your story was really invmeoatifr, thanks!

Willymack1234 · 02/02/2017 at 22:37

Selwood or jpk?

Carl · 02/02/2017 at 23:19

JPK by 5 points per game

MAC · 03/02/2017 at 09:09

Who's the better selection out of jack steven or jack viney?

John · 03/02/2017 at 09:10

i'd say j steven

Steven Jurica · 03/02/2017 at 11:50

Where is Brett Deledio in this conversation? Will be rejuvenated at GWS Stevie J style.

jockreynolds · 04/02/2017 at 13:42

Worth a discussion for sure Stevo in the FWD podcast – was a big fan of your on field stylings by the way son!

Steven Jurica · 06/02/2017 at 11:17

Thanks Jockstrapage, I tried to bring my own flair and fashion to the game given my very limited footballing skills.

Alex Ishenko · 03/02/2017 at 12:23

Would appreciate it if you could rate my team:

Def: Shaw, Laird, JJ, McGrath, Schara, Ryan
Mid: Danger, Pendles, Fyfe, Beams, JOM, Swallow, SPP, Myers
Ruc: Gawn, Goldy
Fwd: Dahl, Macrae, Heeney, Ryder, Rough, McClug
(all cheap rookies on bench, 44k in the bank)
Many Thanks!

Don't Blush Baby · 05/02/2017 at 20:49

Alex, my team was similar until I realised that Dahl,Macrae,Heeney,Luggage ,Gawn,Beams,JJ all had the first bye

Derek · 03/02/2017 at 15:43

Worried about Sandi now.

Goldy or Grundy?

Jib JIb · 04/02/2017 at 18:37

Read today Goldy has been on a restricted program since Christmas due to an ankle injury. This, plus the Daw factor, concerns me.

Jack · 05/02/2017 at 10:39

Def- Laird, JJ, Houli, Hibberd, Mcgrath,Ryan(Collins,Long)
MId-Danger, Treloar, Bont,Hepell, Beams,Swallow,Powell-pepper,Myers(Freeman,Bolton,Witherden)
Ruc-awn, Grundy(Starndica)
Fwd-Macrae,Smith,Heeney,D.Rioli,Mccuggage, Bowes(Pickett,Lamb)
Thoughts

Dont Blush Baby · 05/02/2017 at 11:44

Not sure about Houli, if cash is an issue I'd suggest Williams,Rampe or Lloyd who are similar in $

Nate · 06/02/2017 at 20:44

Hurley? Anyone taking the risk?

Big Norks · 08/02/2017 at 09:06

Hello community, left field idea based on natural progression during a season… the athletic behemoth that is Allir Allie up
At Sydney. Towards end of the season started to read the play well, and start to dominate the CHB position drifting back and taking big contested marks. As Jock would
Say "still at base of the mountain looking up at Montagna et al.), but has he physical attributes to scale up to the peak rapidly.

Jim_bob321 · 08/02/2017 at 22:08

What do u guys think of my team…… and possible improvements:
Def: Docherty, Shaw, Laird, Johannisen, Hampton, Scharenberg (M.Hibberd,L.Ryan)
Mid: Dangerfield, Sloane, Bontempelli, Fyfe, Beams, Powell-Pepper, Myers, Freeman (J.Pickett, J.Foote, J.Graham)
Rucks: Gawn, Sandilands (L.Strnadica)
Fowards: Dahlhaus, Macrae, Heeney, Roughead, McCluggage, Bowes (M.McCarthy, B.Eddy)

Thanks

Clarkey · 17/02/2017 at 20:53

Looks great I just think your midfield is lacking one more premium

Bamsko · 10/02/2017 at 08:26

Did Tom McDonald's role change during the 2016 season? He averaged 100+ after the bye.

Cooper Clarke · 17/02/2017 at 20:51

Has anyone thought about Trent McKenzie for GC in the backline, at only 238k I think he's a bargain and will definitely make me some cash and could possibly be a stepping stone for a fallen premium by the byes, that's if he stays on the park