SuperCoach 2017 Midfield Structure

The point scoring engine room of every SuperCoach team.

..and the glistening $500,000+ midfield warriors are the blokes who’ll push the point generation barrow of your SuperCoach team the hardest throughout the season.

So how many will you fit into your starting SuperCoach 2017 midfield

Will you be stuffing as many into the guts as you can, going lean on the bookends? Or will you be looking at balancing your starting salary cap spend across the lines?

It’s a critical decision.

Before we hit the poll booth – keep in mind John Bruyn started with 5 $500K+ mids when heΒ won the thing in 2013. So did Giant Killer last year. Well worth a read of the linked articles folks.

Right – let’s go to the polls:

How many $500K+ MIDS are in your lineup?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Which $500K+ MIDS are in your current lineup?

• Fyfe, Nat $573,500 (18%, 1,920 Votes)
  • Dangerfield, Patrick $716,900 (18%, 1,884 Votes)
  • Pendlebury, Scott $645,700 (10%, 1,083 Votes)
  • Bontempelli, Marcus $586,100 (7%, 709 Votes)
  • Treloar, Adam $605,400 (6%, 625 Votes)
  • Kennedy, Josh P. $617,100 (6%, 618 Votes)
  • Heppell, Dyson $513,300 (5%, 563 Votes)
  • Rockliff, Tom $603,900 (4%, 450 Votes)
  • Hannebery, Dan $616,800 (4%, 402 Votes)
  • Sloane, Rory $591,000 (3%, 323 Votes)
  • Mitchell, Tom $565,600 (3%, 291 Votes)
  • Ablett, Gary $620,600 (2%, 248 Votes)
  • Selwood, Joel $606,600 (1%, 150 Votes)
  • Cripps, Patrick $585,500 (1%, 143 Votes)
  • Gray, The, Robbie $588,200 (1%, 125 Votes)
  • Parker, Luke $608,900 (1%, 122 Votes)
  • Martin, Chopsticks, Dusty $588,300 (1%, 104 Votes)
  • Priddis, Matt $593,800 (1%, 98 Votes)
  • Coniglio, Stephen $575,900 (1%, 95 Votes)
  • Neale, Lachie $612,800 (1%, 88 Votes)
  • Viney, Jack $527,500 (1%, 53 Votes)
  • Merrett, Zach $606,400 (0%, 51 Votes)
  • Prestia, Dion $508,700 (0%, 45 Votes)
  • Steven, Jack $560,600 (0%, 40 Votes)
  • Shiel, Dylan $539,200 (0%, 35 Votes)
  • Ward, Callan $574,500 (0%, 34 Votes)
  • Barlow, Michael $533,200 (0%, 28 Votes)
  • Zorko, Dayne $593,000 (0%, 27 Votes)
  • Crouch, Matt $504,600 (0%, 23 Votes)
  • Mitchell, Sam $568,000 (0%, 23 Votes)
  • Shuey, Luke $574,500 (0%, 15 Votes)
  • Duncan, Mitch $502,000 (0%, 15 Votes)
  • Sidebottom, Steele $577,800 (0%, 14 Votes)
  • Shiel, Dylan $539,200 (0%, 10 Votes)
  • Lewis, Jordan $540,600 (0%, 10 Votes)
  • Cotchin, Trent $546,800 (0%, 10 Votes)
  • Mundy, David $507,200 (0%, 10 Votes)
  • Hunter, Lachie $515,400 (0%, 9 Votes)
  • Grigg, Shaun $504,100 (0%, 8 Votes)
  • Hall, Aaron $519,800 (0%, 7 Votes)
  • Ross, Sebastian $512,400 (0%, 7 Votes)
  • Scully, Tom $530,000 (0%, 5 Votes)
  • Gibbs, Bryce $577,200 (0%, 4 Votes)
  • Curnow, Ed $552,100 (0%, 4 Votes)
  • Ziebell, Jack $514,200 (0%, 4 Votes)
  • Wells, Daniel $547,400 (0%, 4 Votes)
  • Griffen, Ryan $511,000 (0%, 2 Votes)
  • Goddard, Brendon $532,100 (0%, 2 Votes)
  • Jones, Nathan $527,800 (0%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 2,365

Loading ... Loading ...

What are your midfield structure thoughts this season?

The Coach · 29/01/2017 at 16:20

Oh god…I have all the top 5 most popular. Whatever, POD comes later in the season, right guys?

jockreynolds · 29/01/2017 at 16:26

Early days in the poll Coacho! I read a quote the other day that made me think.. sometimes, the best POD is no POD at all. Went for a walk down the beach for an hour just to think about that. Check out the starting teams of past winners – often no PODs, trading your way to success the key.

Rabbits16 · 29/01/2017 at 16:57

"went for a walk down the beach in my budgie smugglers" it would read if this website had autocorrect πŸ˜€

I N Pieman · 29/01/2017 at 17:08

You pick your starting side based on what you think will give you the best return. If it doesn't have a pod it doesn't matter. They pop up during the season. My pod does not invole a player

rosy · 30/01/2017 at 14:31

Exactly Jock! I've been trying to explain this to the "POD Police" for yrs. We all need to have a real good think before using the term 'Cookiecutter' as a pejoritive, before a ball has even been bounced.

Ben · 29/01/2017 at 18:50

Know how you feel, I'm 3 from 3

MC · 29/01/2017 at 16:24

Midfield is the hardest line for me so far. There are SO many great options this year. afraid i might be going on too heavy

Rabbits16 · 29/01/2017 at 17:02

im so keen on barlow think he will go crackers

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/01/2017 at 16:28

Will wait and see what the excy rooks do in the JLT series. At the moment spending big in the guts going with rolled gold dependable/reliable options in:

Danger, dependleberry, JPK, Treloar, Jelwood and Fyfe who is discounted but at well unders and by all reports cherry ripe.

If a McGrath or mcbags tears up the pre season and named Rd 1 then might trade down dependles or Jelwood to Sloane or titch to free up the cash.

derek · 29/01/2017 at 21:45

two from pies and two from cats? interesting

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/01/2017 at 21:57

Yeah figure i got a few spots spare for rd 12 bye so taking danger and jelwood as should have plenty of cover for their bye and then they can help cover in rd 13

So bye friendly players the two cats and they r durable, reliable and have been known on the odd occasion or two to go huge.

Nathan · 29/01/2017 at 16:35

I've gone 6 Pendles jpk trelor slone Fyfe and Heppell
But not one high priced rookie

Danielle · 29/01/2017 at 16:45

me too….6….Danger Rocky Pendles, Hannasbery Fyfe Duckwood

Keenbutclueless · 30/01/2017 at 02:22

5 of those 6 have round 13 bye

Nathan · 30/01/2017 at 11:00

Yeah haven't looked at the byes
      But after you pointed it out I'll need to look into it

Kev · 29/01/2017 at 16:48

6 / 0 / 5 structure. Very heavy with Fyfe at M6.

UncleSwaggy · 30/01/2017 at 12:41

thats what ive gone with as well, the more i look at the mid price options this year the more i see injury prone concerns, beams being the only one id see as a keeper assuming health

The Whiz · 29/01/2017 at 16:48

This year my strategy will largely centre around an ultra stacked midfield full of reliable, dependable gun premiums. I haven't selected any of the mids coming off injuries (hannebery, fyfe, beams, murphy, bennell, swallow) as I want to have a look at them in action before committing one of my valuable midfield spots to them.

Here is my team as it currently stands:
D: Adams, Laird, McGrath, Scharenberg, Berry, Hibberd (Ryan, Stewart)
M: Danger, JPK, Zerrett, Treloar, Rocky, Sloane, Bont, Titch (SPP, Myers, Graham)
R: Gawn, Sandi (Stnr)
F: Heeney, Rough, McCarthy, McCluggage, Bowes, Pickett (Brown, Eddy)

I know the forward and defensive lines are very light on at the moment, but there is money to be made and saved in these areas which allows for the big spend in the guts where the big points are scored. I will most likely go in to the season with this team largely unchanged, and I will take heart in the fact that I will not be producing a team which looks identical to everyone else's.

Any thoughts from you gents would be greatly appreciated, and keep up the great work spitting out quality articles, you guys are true legends of the Supercoach world

bAps · 29/01/2017 at 17:28

Super strong midfield obviously, but you're banking on those mids to be the top 10 mids this year. If they're not, you're in for a lot of sideways trading.

The Whiz · 29/01/2017 at 19:38

I'm hoping they all produce, otherwise sideways trading mid premos isn't something you want to be doing. I reckon these 8 (along with fyfe, hanners, Cripps and pendles) will make the top 12 though

Bill · 30/01/2017 at 00:00

Priddis? Parker?

Kev · 29/01/2017 at 18:15

Good on you for throwing the cookie cutter out the window, Whiz, love it! It's a bold strategy. The problem is, traditionally, your midfield rookies will fatten up the quickest. You'll need to be very certain on your rookies because if you get stuck with a slow burn type it will make things hard

The Whiz · 29/01/2017 at 19:46

JLT form of rookies, def/fwd premos and the underpriced injury layoff mids may sway me to alter my plan before the start of the season, but at the end of the day I want to start with at least one strong line which is nearing completion, allowing me to focus my efforts on the other lines. Regarding your comments about the mid rookies, I have been toying with lineups involving only 2-3 gun mids with the fwd and def being nearly set and forget

Spears · 29/01/2017 at 18:58

Not only banking on those midfielders to be top 10 but banking on those midpricers, as a pies supporter I am excited by Adams but he hasn't produced a full season for us yet, Laird should be ok but does also tend to get hurt and not a huge ceiling, Sandi the dinosaur – how sure are you that he can string 6 games together? Especially without a ruck/forward swing. Heeney we are all excited about but still an unproven consistent scorer. Rough can go large but it's not the same Hawthorn anymore, where will he play? Zerret, had him last year and love the kid but how will the new dynamic at Essendon effect his scoring? Rocky, his last full season was 2 years ago, Bont I believe will be a main stayer premium midfielder for years to come but how hungry will he be at the start of the year?

The Whiz · 29/01/2017 at 19:48

Of the things you have mentioned, I have considered these all and the only one that I'm concerned about is the Sandi dilemma. I know he will get injured at some stage but I'm hoping by that time he is able to have made enough cash to be able to swap to a premo

Luke · 29/01/2017 at 21:36

Scharenberg is a HUGE RISK in my opinion

derek · 29/01/2017 at 21:47

yes he is, but he is only $160k

derek · 29/01/2017 at 21:46

you have picked Rocky ahead of Fyfe based on injury risk? I think Rocky is more injury prone than Fyfe.

Nick Wealands · 29/01/2017 at 17:02

Better to be over heavy in the mids than under, all about picking blokes who will play 20+ games and not present as much of a trade burden.
With beams though I'm guessing many coaches will go in with 4 +500k as he's so pricey

Chris · 29/01/2017 at 17:18

Adams or Laird, I still can't decide, here's my team so far:
DEF: Simpson, Montagna, Laird/Adams, McVeigh, Hodge, Ryan. Scharenberg and Stewart
MID: Martin, Fyfe Heppell, Gaff, Armitage, O'Meara, Swallow, Myers. SPP, SPS and Graham
RUCK: Martin, Sandilands. Strnadica
FWD: Kennedy, Franklin, Roughead, Elliot, Black, Pickett. Bolton and Eddy

Please leave other suggestions below.

I N Pieman · 29/01/2017 at 17:30

Neither Adams or Laird tick the durability box. So I've got both!

bAps · 29/01/2017 at 17:32

Awful midfield.
    How many of those do you expect to be top 10 mids come seasons end? Dusty and Fyfe, the rest won't come close.
    Get rid of McVeigh and Hodge for two rookies, use the cash to turn Gaff, Armo and maybe Heppell into $600k+ midfielders.

Lazza · 30/01/2017 at 10:33

Why would you have O'Meara in the team? He wont play the first 4 games which means you can sit on him up to R7 to see how he goes then cash in a rookie or two..

Chris · 30/01/2017 at 21:29

Guys I have fixed my team up a bit, fixed the midfield and got rid of Hodge and McVeigh in Defence.

Rabbits16 · 29/01/2017 at 17:19

Liking the look of this STARTING structure the more i tinker around:

Def – 2 Keepers……..1 breakout / fallen gun midprice…… 1 high priced rookie….. 2 rookies

Mid – 5 Keepers….. 1 breakout / fallen gun mid price…. 1 high priced rookie…. 1 rookie

Ruck – Gawn & Sandi

Forward – 2 Keepers…. 1 breakout / fallen gun midprice…. 1 high priced rookie….. 2 rookies

MaccA · 29/01/2017 at 19:15

whats ur definition of a breakout
    300-500k?

Rabbits16 · 30/01/2017 at 11:24

perhaps a heeney or caddy or j lloyd type

someone you think can really improve and get up into keeper category

Maccabees · 29/01/2017 at 17:34

I've got the top six in percentage
Is that unhealthy
Should I inject some titch as a light pod as I am keen on him

Mac · 29/01/2017 at 17:43

The reason they are popular is because they are good picks. Why go away from that?

Shake n bake · 29/01/2017 at 17:43

Wow really slim pickings l think up fwd. l can only really see probably 2 must haves. I dont like mid priced players but the only 1 l can really see step up is heeney. With titch out will he get more mid time they still have parker Hanners Kennedy & jack going throu there or do you think he still spends to much time up fwd?

derek · 29/01/2017 at 21:53

i can't see heeney at center bounces, too many other options, but look at him to be in and around the forward line stoppages. same will Mills down back, will be in and around the defenceive stoppages.

Heeney could be alot like Greene of last year, not quite top 6 forwards but close

Shake n bake · 29/01/2017 at 22:03

We have players like waite at no 9 ranked fwd! Fwd line a bit tuff!! Dahl and macrae look the 2 prem for me but im trying to find another fwd who will be top 7 come seasons end. Thought heeney might fit that bill, will wait till pre season to see how many min he gets in there! Ryder is hi on my rader to.

Bill · 30/01/2017 at 00:12

In the finals he was playing on a wing, so even if he isn't at centre bounces he should see mid time. Sydney got found out twice with a slow midfield in the finals, need Heeney and possibly Mills in there this year I reckon.

bAps · 29/01/2017 at 17:45

Not many people are liking Selwood, what's up with that?

I N Pieman · 29/01/2017 at 17:53

No free kicks for ducking anymore. It's play on. For me that makes him over priced

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/01/2017 at 18:31

Will be interesting to see how that rule change is interpreted and how it effects certain players.

Don't think.it would have that great of impact on Jelwood as he will break the tackle and play on or its a ball up. Now and then may get pinged.

BTW think the Afl on the right track on this one. The easiest way to interpret a fair tackle is where it starts not where it ends. If it starts around the waist fair tackle if you shrug it up onto your shoulders too bad. Fair tackle.
      If it starts above the shoulders free kick.

Black and white. How it should be.

Northerner · 29/01/2017 at 21:03

Great suggestion. Completely agree

Lachie · 30/01/2017 at 05:38

It means he will get punished for holding the ball more.

Wighty · 30/01/2017 at 15:07

I have Danger…..with byes, only one uber prem per club reduces need to trade

SCaddict · 29/01/2017 at 21:00

Well I'm seriously considering Scooter. That counts as a Selwood right?! πŸ˜‰

derek · 29/01/2017 at 21:55

i'm tossing up between S Selwood and Swallow at M7, what you think of them two? is there anyone else around that price to look at?

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/01/2017 at 22:39

You mentioned lovell getting mid time below.

Is he worth considering based on more mid time?
        Cheaper than swallow or scooter

Someone needs to get some of the hawk mid points.

SCaddict · 29/01/2017 at 23:30

I reckon they are perhaps the best two stepping stone prospects in terms of midpricers who could realistically earn us $150-200K depending on their role, form and health.

Of course we will need to get a good look at how they perform in the JLT but both seem to be having decent preseasons so far from what I can gather.

JOM could also be thrown into that mix although the prevailing mail seems to be he won't debut in the brown and gold in Rd1 as you would well know.

Bomber56 · 30/01/2017 at 05:28

I am going to go with swallow if he starts. Feel that if he is fit he will play every game.

derek · 29/01/2017 at 21:54

he is in my team. i think he might not like Danger taking all the spotlight and i see a big selfish year from him

Keenbutclueless · 29/01/2017 at 17:47

In past years I have gone with a midfield structure that had 2 600+, 2 550-580 types and M5 for an emerging premium or well priced fallen premium. Generally speaking, this hasn't worked. Had the odd success, but mostly underwhelming. Last year was Sidebottom and Ward. Ok, but not good enough. This year have two structures in mind, depending on which are the must have rookies.

If the cheap rookies are looking good, then it's
Danger, JPK, Treloar, Zerrett, Fyfe and Titchell

If I have to give up one for a better structure, then it would probably be Zerrett or Treloar because of the bye structure.

So, in terms of 500k+ mids, I would say you need to scratch a little deeper and almost say 600k mids. There is so much depth in the 600k category, that mids in the 560-590k are really more in the emerging category. That includes Bont, Cripps and Titchell. Really think you can only have one of them, and at no higher than M5.

derek · 29/01/2017 at 22:01

i had previously gone the same as you. Last year Rocky was a good price and slotted in at M5. unfortunately went BCrouch at M6. the year before it was SMitchell and Griffin at M5 & M6.

this year it is either 5 premiums or 6 (will depend on rookies etc). not considering anyone like Murphy, Beams, heppell. Ultra or nothing. I do like the look of a Swallow or SSelwood at M7 though

Shaneo · 29/01/2017 at 17:47

I have 5…… danger , pendles , Bont , t Mitch and fyfe

John · 29/01/2017 at 17:55

Can someone explain why so many are keen on Tom Mitchell?

Danners · 29/01/2017 at 18:05

Probably expecting him to fill the void of Lewis/S.Mitchell

Keenbutclueless · 29/01/2017 at 18:10

For me it's about nobody taking points off him in the Hawks midfield. I am hoping he is the Zerrett equivalent in 2017. If I am wrong, he has a handy round 13 bye, which makes him an upgrade target at that point. At worst he won't go backwards. Hawks have reasonable early draw, so will get a good feel early. If he does do well, then it might get harder to upgrade to him later.

John · 29/01/2017 at 18:16

I just don't think he is a great option. Can't hit a target and will have to carry the Hawthorn midfield on his back. Played behind Kennedy, Parker, Hanners and to some extent Jack at the Bloods and I just don't trust how he will go now when he is playing on the best opposition midfielders.

derek · 29/01/2017 at 22:15

I'm a Hawks fan, and to be honest i'm not excited about TMitch. I can see him being more like Lewis, doing the hard work, getting the ball forward, getting plenty of the footy but not really turning them into SC points.

I think Clarko will reinvent the Hawthorn midfield this year. Next to TMitchell there will be Shiels & Langford (both told to tackle anything that moves) and Stewart & Lovell inside like little terrier dogs fighting for the ball, they have both been brought into the team to improve their contested ball. Outside to hartung, Smith & JOM.

Obviously we will see Silk, Hodgey, Cyril, Bruest and even Roughie in the guts, but it is a changing of the guard at the Hawks.

Kev · 29/01/2017 at 18:21

Change of clubs. Will be expected to do a bulk of the clearance work. Clarko won't use him as a tagger.

Still a butcher though.

jockreynolds · 29/01/2017 at 19:10

This is worth a read John: http://www.jockreynolds.com.au/2016/11/11/tom-mit

MC · 30/01/2017 at 00:37

absolute ball magnet, will go from being number 4 or 5 midfielder at Sydney to being probably number 1 at Hawks. Plus, hoping that his 5th year should see some natural progression in terms of fitness, skill and therefore scores.

Danners · 29/01/2017 at 18:04

Gone 5 over $500k Danger, Pendles, Hannebery, Sloane, Fyfe. Projecting them to be in the top 10 mids at the years end.

I N Pieman · 29/01/2017 at 18:08

John, looking at the poll he is only in 11% of teams so I would say not many people r keen on Tom Mitchell.

John · 29/01/2017 at 18:14

Was just asking because 2 of the above have Titch in them. I personally don't think his output will improve at Hawthorn.

Mick · 29/01/2017 at 20:23

His output should be more consistent as he often was given run with roles at Sydney imo

Jojo · 29/01/2017 at 18:29

Hey guys looking for some feedback on my team
Shaw, Montagna, Adams, McGrath, Ryan, scharenberg, Stewart, long
Danger, pendles, hanners, Sloane, Fyfe, beams, SPP, Myers, berry, Pickett, freeman
Goldy, sandi, strndica
Daulhahaus, macrae, Ryder, lobb, mcclagage, Bolton, smith, eddy
I like lobb as a pod but I am not completely sold on him, I was also thinking about a Heeny as a f4

Ben · 29/01/2017 at 18:56

Pretty solid structure

Ben · 29/01/2017 at 18:55

Midfields structures are looking different this year mines got Danger Pendles and Fyfe before puttering off to D.Swallow at 6 but Ive seen a team with Murphy at 8 without looking too cheap on other lines. Shaping up for a very interesting year

Danielle · 29/01/2017 at 19:54

Robbie Gray or The Bont for my M% spot….I can't split them……..PS….why no Wines as an option in the poll?….Srely more people might be considering him than Grigg Griffen or Jones who are in the poll

Jib Jib · 29/01/2017 at 21:40

I'm super keen on Bont but given last year was his breakout I just want to see if he can back it up and take his game to the next level, also want to see how much the change to 3rd man up effects his scoring. Right now I've got him as an upgrade target rather than a starter.

Tom · 29/01/2017 at 19:55

Gee whiz 2% J.Steven honestly blows my mind a bit, nice POD. Top 3 look good.

Epidemick · 29/01/2017 at 20:34

Fyfe cherry ripe people are saying. He has only played 20 games in a season once in his career. Is anyone else worried about this?

SCaddict · 29/01/2017 at 21:08

Durability is an undeniable concern but probably worth the elevated risk for a lot of coaches given what he showed us in the first half of 2015 and his sub $600K pricing.

Has the capability to be the best player in the comp, if he can stay on the park, or at least be right there in the conversation. So it would require a decent set of stones to leave him out of your starting side especially if he looks up and about in the JLT.

Jib Jib · 29/01/2017 at 21:42

Worth the risk. One of the few players who can average 120+

derek · 29/01/2017 at 22:18

i've seen him play footy! he was my first player picked.

Lachie · 30/01/2017 at 05:41

?

Damien · 30/01/2017 at 12:37

His shoulder in 2014? and his Leg last season have been the only injury problems. Other games missed has been suspension or resting.

IntheNickofTime · 29/01/2017 at 20:55

Someone was telling me their midfield today has 5 premos – Neale, Treloar, E Curnow, Priddis and Viney. Honestly I'm not against it, but over the long run surely the cream of the crop will come out in top in 2017? Personally, I've gone with Danger, Pendles, JJK, Sloane and T Mitchell. With that being said that M5 has changed numerous time in the last few weeks.

Kev · 29/01/2017 at 21:36

Curnow and Viney aren't premiums…

Northerner · 29/01/2017 at 21:19

Has anyone heard what's happening with scoring and extra trades for the Rd 9 bye – GCS and PA? What about Rd 12 which only has the 4 bye teams rather than the 6 for Rds 11 and 13?

Kev · 29/01/2017 at 21:33

Round 9: No change. No best 18. Will be just like any other round

Normal bye rules for 11-13 (3 trades. Best 18)

Northerner · 29/01/2017 at 21:47

cheers

SCaddict · 29/01/2017 at 21:37

Yeah it all's there on the site rules under the Point Scoring subheading. Rd9 is just treated as another regular round with your full onfield 22 counting towards your score. Rds 11-13 will be the usual bye fantasy scoring convention of up to your best 18 scorers onfield and will have access to 3 trades during those rounds.

It's definitely something to factor into your planning when selecting GC and Port keepers. Doesn't mean we shouldn't start with premos from those two sides but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Jib Jib · 29/01/2017 at 21:48

Thanks for pointing that out. Personally I'd avoid all non rookie players from either club until after Rd 9.

derek · 29/01/2017 at 22:19

probably the reason i'm not starting with Ryder or Gray

Luke · 29/01/2017 at 21:47

As a tigers Fan i am hanging to see how Dusty goes this year. They should play him in the guts where he had his best season to date. They have plenty of options with Cotchin, Miles, Caddy, Prestia, B. Ellis, Grigg and the emerging C.Ellis. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Leppitsch stated that with the acquisitions of Caddy and Prestia that it would allow Martin to be in the FWD line more and should affect his scoring

Shake n bake · 29/01/2017 at 21:53

My mids atm Danger Fyfe Kennedy treloer Bont as im only thinking top 7 for those players barring inj. I have room for murph aswell im not yet sold on him but is tracking well and been up & running now for over 3 months. Will be watching closely @ 430k im very close to adding him to my side.

SCaddict · 29/01/2017 at 22:14

Realistically you'd think that the chance of Smurph finishing as a top 12 mid is fairly remote. To do that he would need to average 110 plus which he hasn't done since 2012.

So then he'd fall more into stepping stone territory. For that to be really worthwhile he'd need to make at least $150K which again would be a fairly tall ask I'd guess.

Shake n bake · 29/01/2017 at 22:36

He definitely is a risk, inj, form & can be easily tagged out of a game. alittle bit of me thinks he just might turn it around but would b a risk.

Brown Cow · 30/01/2017 at 00:00

There's the golden rules right there SCaddict. Top 12 or 150k+ or avoid.

AverageAdsy · 29/01/2017 at 22:20

3….. so far

Danger
Treloar
Viney

Luke · 29/01/2017 at 23:01

I was hoping some people can give me some feedback on my team thus far. It has chopped and changed but I am thinking a left field option this year. My gut has worked well over the years and I've always done quite well so im hoping this year is the same. Please freely Dissect my team anyone would love any feedback.

DEF: Docherty, Houli, J Lloyd, Hibberd, R Murphy, Berry (Ryan, T Stewart)
MID: Parker, Treloar, T Mitchell, K Jack, J Watson, Beams, Swallow, Myers (Powell-Pepper, Barrett, M Hibberd)
RUC: Gawn, Sandilands (Witts)
FWD: Heeney, Billings, Roughead, Elliot, McCluggage, J Thomas (W Rioli, Eddy)

Luke · 29/01/2017 at 23:10

$52,200 left over in kitty. Valid reasons for all Selections with Risks.
    Docherty and Gawn are a must. Couldn't squeeze in Danger and he should drop to $650k IMO.
    looking for good starts from Parker Treloar and Tmitch.
    Heeney, Billings, Elliot, Roughead, J Lloyd, Beams, D Swallow, Myers, J Thomas and Sandilands are all either breakout contenders/fallen proven scorers.
    McCluggage and Berry will slot straight into the Lions side. Witherden a chance. Even Mitchell Hinge as a Round 1 Smoky.
    Strong rookies on the bench with Witts, M Hibberd, Barrett,Powell-Pepper, Rioli, Eddy, Ryan and Stewart. I expect all to play and maybe all named round 1
    Witts on the bench I feel is a great option and good cover. I have a feeling he will take Nicholls spot at GC for the R1 spot

Spears · 29/01/2017 at 23:33

Too much reliance on hope in my opinion but if it come off – great. However, you are banking on some borderline premiums to lift, players with missed chunks of or whole seasons, aging stars coming back from injury as well as young stars but unproven to reach consistent premium output. What are the chances of all of it eventuating? Say every player that is a risk Who are going to be your captain options? You need a couple of proven monster scorers. Good luck!

Canny the Manny · 29/01/2017 at 23:48

Too many mid-pricers and unreliable premiums in my opinion. Check out Patch's article on midpricers if you haven't already. And I think players like Houli, Hibberd, K. Jack and Watson will let you down. I admire the originality however, haven't seen too many teams like yours so kudos xx

Lazza · 30/01/2017 at 10:55

Parker is coming off knee surgery (PCL) and is no certainty for R1.
    I'd say the biggest hole in your line-up is the lack of Captain options.
    Murphy is a wait and see …. age and injury not a good mix – likely to start slow.
    Kieren Jack has gone backwards every year since 2012 has lost an average $100k on his starting price in each of those years… no value there.

Luke · 30/01/2017 at 19:56

but with T Mitchell gone I think Kieren Jack steps up

Canny the Manny · 29/01/2017 at 23:30

Bit of tinkering lead me to this lineup of Willo's Wonders FC (Version: God knows what).

BACKS: Docherty, Shaw, Laird, Scharenberg, Hampton, Berry, (L. Ryan, T. Stewart)

MIDS: Danger, Pendles, Rockliff, Fyfe, T. Mitchell, D. Swallow, SPP. Myers, (Freeman, Witherden, Graham)

RUCKS: Gawn, Sandi, (Strnadica)

FORWARDS: J. Kennedy, Dahlhaus, Ryder, Roughead, McCluggage, Pickett, (Long, Eddy)

Here's the kicker; $153K STILL LEFT OVER in the kitty. I quite like this lineup. Ideally I would like a more premium forward like Mcrae at F3 but I'd like to have Ryder as backup for my ruck department and I think Roughead is capable of reaching premo status this year after being named skipper (only issue is health and fitness), he's also a steal at that price. Let me know what you think. <3 <3

Rabbits16 · 30/01/2017 at 11:29

like it!

Swans2012 · 30/01/2017 at 12:39

Agree, looks sharp, I've got swallow at m7 and a weaker back line but I reckon I'll end up down a similar path to you. I feel like we might Need those mid rookies on field rather than defensive or forward….

Randomcliche2 · 26/02/2017 at 02:07

what is the league code this year? I owe you a ganny smith now, not a pineapple…

Randomcliche2 · 26/02/2017 at 02:21

Oh, show me ya team. Fyi, here it is atm, version unknown

D: Hodgey, Touhy, Hartlett
      Hampton, Otten, Collins, (Ryan Guthrie)
      M: Danger, Pendles, Gaz, Rocky, Fyfe,
      Watson, Beams,
      SPP (Myers, Pickett, Graham)
      R: Boring, Gawn, Sandi, (strndica)
      F: N.Roo, Caddy, Ryder, Roughy
      Black, Rioli, (Smith Eddy)
      $129,600 so yeah, plenty left, perhaps strndica to witts?
      Thoughts?

Mac is back jr · 30/01/2017 at 22:48

hmm dunno id get rid of kennedy for macrea get rid of roughhead for rookie then upgrade swallow to a heppell
    but other than that i dont mind it, just not big on swallow thats all

Canny the Manny · 31/01/2017 at 19:45

I'm interested as to why you're not keen on Swallow. There's very little deterring me from him at all, if he's named round 1 he'll start in my team. I'm not sure about Heppell, or any of the returning suspended players. I doubt he'll finish in the top 8 Mids and I can't see really see him as a profitable stepping stone player.
      Kennedy is a bit of a spend, granted, but I'm confident he'll end up in the top 6 FWDS by the end of the season and with West Coast's nice early draw, I think there is little risk to starting with him. He also provides another C/VC option with his massive ceiling.
      Roughead is a proven performer. I know he's a mid-priced KPP, but his new role of captain gives me confidence that if he's named round 1, he's a risk worth taking.

Stirlsy · 29/01/2017 at 23:53

Taking in 6 Danger, Pendles, Rocky, Sloane, Fyfe, Titch at this stage, its a safe bet i stick with this 6 and juggle the rest of team around to suit

Keenbutclueless · 30/01/2017 at 01:18

The trouble is 4 of those 6 have the same bye. Reckon that's at least one too many.

Stirlsy · 30/01/2017 at 01:35

Yes the last one im aware of it…

Matthew · 30/01/2017 at 10:28

Jack viney, dustin martin or heppell?

Kev · 30/01/2017 at 11:33

Dusty

Lachie · 30/01/2017 at 15:42

Heppell

Tyson · 31/01/2017 at 09:46

Viney

Tommo09 · 30/01/2017 at 10:51

Thoughts on my midfield

Danger, Gaz, Bont, Fyfe, Beams, Swallow, Florent, Myers (SPP, Freeman, Graham)

Could change Gaz to another player but I like him this year
Florent is a question mark
Beams? Swallow? Injury prone?

Rabbits16 · 30/01/2017 at 11:31

jordan foote could be ahead of florent

"Despite the Sydney Swans’ midfield depth, Foote will draw confidence from another big pre-season and the fact Tom Mitchell’s exit opens the door for an inside midfielder like himself."

Tommo09 · 30/01/2017 at 13:02

I like foote actually but will have to tinker with my team to get him
      2k short

Kev · 30/01/2017 at 11:35

Few players coming off LTI's there, Tommo. Nothing wrong that, I just prefer a bit more reliability in the mids

Rabbits16 · 30/01/2017 at 11:36

i really wanna start with GAZ too but every yr im trading the guy out and said last yr i just wouldnt go there again…. the thing that really tempts me though are his numbers…

Tommo09 · 30/01/2017 at 13:05

I have started him last 2 years as well and have had to race him out but if he plays 20 his scoring will be nuts as you said
      He has averaged 135+ twice
      We were talking about Dangers 131, Gaz could be that this year if he stays fit

Northernsoul74 · 30/01/2017 at 12:41

I like Ablett as well but that round 9 has me concerned.

Leo · 30/01/2017 at 11:06

What About Luke shuey and Harley Bennell

Damien · 30/01/2017 at 11:22

6; Danger, Pendles, JPK, Gray, Coniglio and Fyfe

hedski · 30/01/2017 at 19:16

I have Sloane and Treloar for your Pendles/Cogs. Solid.

Adam · 30/01/2017 at 12:58

Currently these 7 locked into the midfield: P Dangerfield, S Pendlebury, J Kennedy, J Selwood, N Fyfe, D Swallow and D Myers.
Thoughts on which player out of R Sloane, S Selwood or H McCluggage should join them in the last spot. I really want Sloane due to his career avg at Adelaide Oval of 118.2 and 8 of his first 13 games played there but it means I have to forego Laird and will leave me with Goldy, Sandi, Montagna, Simpson, Hartlett, N Riewoldt, L Dahlhaus and J Roughead as the other premiums.

Tommo · 30/01/2017 at 13:06

Alright guys here is my team as it sits, would really appreciate any feedback you can give πŸ™‚

DEF: S.Docherty, H.Shaw, R,Laird, H.Hartlett, A.McGrath, M.Scharenberg (J.Berry, L.Ryan)

MID: Danger, De-Pendlebury, JPK, J.Selwood, N.Fyfe, D.Swallow, SPP, D.Myers (C.Brown, S.Bolton, B.Jarman)

RUCK: S.Martin A.Sandilands (L.Strndica)

FWD: J.Macrea, I.Heeney, P.Ryder, J.Roughead, H.McCluggage, J.Pickett (T.Smith, B.Eddy)

Lachie · 30/01/2017 at 15:41

Don't like Selwood much but obviously has a chance to score. You probably need to make room for Gawn though.

Tommo · 30/01/2017 at 21:12

Thinking of going Selwood -> Sloane because he is Adelaides main mid and Selwoods points will be going to Danger. Looking at Gawn as an upgrade target.

Steven · 30/01/2017 at 13:12

Hey guys I know this is about mids but I'm tossing up between Martin or Grundy in R1(got Sandi in R2), if you could let me know who I should get and why that would be great. Cheers

SupercoachNerd · 30/01/2017 at 14:58

Is there anyway that you can eat enough money to afford fawn because he is a lock monster scores last year

Steven · 30/01/2017 at 21:13

Thinking of using him as an upgrade target

Jib Jib · 31/01/2017 at 12:40

Best day of SC 2016 was when Nic Nat got injured so I could trade him out for Gawn. Up until that point I swear I'd lost dozen league matches because of his monster scores. Do yourself a favour and start with him.

Steven · 31/01/2017 at 13:05

The only way I could start with Gawn is if I didn't start with Danger

hedski · 30/01/2017 at 15:00

I'm pretty set on starting
Danger JPK Treloar Sloane Gray Fyfe.
Then its Scooter/Swallow.
Myers.

Lachie · 30/01/2017 at 15:40

Gray is a bit iffy imo. High risk high reward.

Jib Jib · 30/01/2017 at 16:43

Gray is guaranteed to be out in rd 9 (bye), but round nine will still play as a normal round, so personally I wouldn't go for him until after that.

hedski · 30/01/2017 at 16:55

Lots won't, that's why I'm thinking of starting him, hopefully upgrade Swallow/SPP then to cover

Jib Jib · 30/01/2017 at 20:37

Yeah that's one way of looking at it I suppose, you'd need him to come out of the blocks averaging 115+ to make it worth it though. The best he's averaged in the past 3 seasons prior to rd 9 is 104, he also missed early games with injury in 2014 and 2016. I've definitely got him in the "upgrade target" category.

hedski · 30/01/2017 at 21:22

Fair enough nice reasoning, still if he comes out firing…

rosy · 30/01/2017 at 16:21

Serious question regarding Trent Cotchin: It's clear that the past two years have been a massive strain for him, being largely left to do it all by himself in the guts. As a result his value and demand have gone down. With the inclusion of two very capable 'hardball' midfielders in Caddy and Prestia and a more midfield oriented Dusty, what do we think about Trent returning to his beast-like status of 3-4 years ago? Remembering that he is still only 26 years old and hasn't suffered any real major injury.

richard · 30/01/2017 at 17:19

If he can't get back to that 110+ avg of a few years back he never will with this revamped midfield.But still a big risk to start with him.Possible upgrade target or corrective trade.Surely his team mates have to get in and help him as i fear the tag will be on him

Leo · 30/01/2017 at 17:07

What About Luke shuey and Harley Bennell YES or NO

Scop · 30/01/2017 at 17:26

Do U think Sloane or Shuey for my staring line up

tyson · 30/01/2017 at 23:38

sloane

richard · 30/01/2017 at 17:27

How come Priddis not given any thought ?

Scop · 30/01/2017 at 17:28

I already have him he is mr consitant

richard · 30/01/2017 at 17:30

Agree not even an article written about him this year good POD

Scop · 30/01/2017 at 17:32

what do u think should i go with sloane or shuey

richard · 30/01/2017 at 17:34

Sloane for sure

Scop · 30/01/2017 at 17:34

cheers

Scop · 30/01/2017 at 17:35

would u rather Sloane or Priddis

richard · 30/01/2017 at 17:40

Priddis is the more consistent and higher 100 + scorer

Scop · 30/01/2017 at 17:41

thats what i thought he so consistent

richard · 30/01/2017 at 17:48

With Nic Nat and Lycet injured this might have swayed people away from him

Scop · 30/01/2017 at 17:52

true

richard · 30/01/2017 at 18:02

Nic Nat was out last year round 13-19 and Priddis still scored well in the 100+ so the guy can still score well

Winter · 30/01/2017 at 19:19

Priddis drops in price every year, most people look at him as an upgrade target just after byes

John · 30/01/2017 at 19:29

Maybe people believe the lack of ruckman at the Eagles will impact his scores?

Scop · 30/01/2017 at 17:47

Is Wingard good option in forward or do i go with deledio instead ???

richard · 30/01/2017 at 17:55

Frustrating thing about Wingard is Hinkley doesnt give enough midfield time but when he does he scores well and with Deledio he seems to be injury prone now.I'd be vary wary about picking either.

rosy · 31/01/2017 at 09:50

I just can't see Lids being the big point scorer he used to be as a Giant. He'll take on a more relaxed and removed role as a senior/mentor to the young guns. Same thing happened with Stevie-J, still a champ but not scoring 100's.

Winter · 30/01/2017 at 19:14

MID: P. Dangerfield, S. Pendlebury, M. Bontempelli, N. Fyfe, D. Beams, D. Swallow, S. Powell-Pepper, D. Myers (J. Pickett, N. Freeman, J. Graham)

Can't decide between Bont or JPK? Thoughts

hedski · 30/01/2017 at 19:20

Apparently Picket could be a late starter so watch. I reckon JPK with the captains responsibility.
    I'm very wary of Beams.

Danielle · 30/01/2017 at 22:39

My mid-field is a deep one this year……..Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Hannabery, Treloar, Rockliff, Fyfe, Myers, SPP…..Love it

tyson · 30/01/2017 at 23:36

what does everybody think about patty cripps

Moustachio · 31/01/2017 at 00:23

I think he had back surgery in the pre season :S

Tyson · 31/01/2017 at 09:34

Thanks I might spend 20000 and get him up to rocky

Blake · 31/01/2017 at 09:57

Who would you choose out of Heaney and Macrae?

Tommo · 31/01/2017 at 11:58

I've got both but would probably go with Macrae

Lachie · 31/01/2017 at 16:44

Heaney.. Macrae is overrated IMO. Had him last year at the start for a POD, but he literally gets no hardballs. Heaney musch cheaper.

Big G · 31/01/2017 at 10:09

Is anyone game on Buddy Franklin as F3. He averages 90+ every year?

Big Gregga · 06/02/2017 at 13:26

Locked in! Will definitely be a top 6 forward Imo

Tommo · 31/01/2017 at 12:03

Hey guys so my midfield as it sits is Danger, Pendles, JPK, Jelwood, Fyfe, D.Swallow, SPP and Myers. I was wondering if I should trade Jelwood to Sloane/Zorko or another premium. Would love to here everyones thoughts. Cheers

Davo · 31/01/2017 at 15:54

Need help with this decision….have changed these guys back and forth 20 times….Who should I have as my M5?

Selwood or Ablett?

Lachie · 31/01/2017 at 16:43

Neither

Derek · 31/01/2017 at 20:19

I have Selwood in my team

Ablett a big No

Champ · 31/01/2017 at 23:06

M5 !!!!! They are the third and eight most expensive midfielders.

Adap · 01/02/2017 at 03:06

Id trade down to gawn

Jock Reynolds Son · 04/02/2017 at 13:09

My Midfield has 5 over $500

Neale, Treloar, Gray, Priddis and Viney

Thoughts?

Garnz · 12/02/2017 at 21:57

What are the thoughts on Heppell this year????… maybe a good POD