Jock Reynolds Supercoach Podcast

Those pearly electronic gates have opened.

Today we welcome many to the podcast for the first time this season. We’re in for a hell of a season and we’re rapt you’re getting stuck back in for 2017.

This week we complete our team-by-team analysis by having a real close look at West Coast & Western Bulldogs for SuperCoach 2017 relevance. Remember to catch up on the rest of the series here, or subscribe here on iTunes.

Hold onto your hats – you’re in for the preseason of your life.

Remember lock your copy of the 2017 Jock Reynolds Magazine in as quick as you can – going into the season without this thing will put you behind the pack

ORDER YOUR 2017 JOCK REYNOLDS SUPERCOACH MAGAZINE HERE

Look forward to the chat in the comments below community!

Skindog · 24/01/2017 at 18:18

Great show as always, I've refreshing since 12:00am this morning, finally opened and just crossed over my side from the team picker, looks a better side now that it's in the real format,, rucks are my problem child at the moment,,,, just don't trust Sandiballs,,,,thoughts on this spastic line boys???

Derek · 25/01/2017 at 11:07

People worried about Sandi. What is his injury?

Shake n bake · 25/01/2017 at 17:52

Grundy & gawn for me for now!!

Tiny Hammer · 25/01/2017 at 23:59

With you Shaker. Set and forget 220+ then focus on the confused forward lines we all have

Jim · 24/01/2017 at 18:44

Here is my first draft.

Defence: Adams, Laird, Johannisen, Vince, McGrath, Long, Ryan, Steward

Midfield: Danger, Pendles, JPK, J. Selwood, Fyfe, D. Beams, Powell-Power, Myers, Freeman, Bolton, Graham

Ruck: Gawn, Sandi, Strnadica

Forward: Dahlhaus, Heeney, Ryder, McCluggage, Black, J. Pickett, T. Smith, Eddy

Rivo · 24/01/2017 at 20:43

Solid starting line-up Jim. JJ and Vince look at bit risky in defence. Ryder at F3 leaves the forward line exposed a touch too. Pre-season will tell us more. Best of luck.

Dan · 24/01/2017 at 23:50

Bit top heavy in mids for mine and a bit weak in fwds. Could maybe lose one of pendles/jpk/selwood and turn a fwd and a def into a premo.

OldOcker · 24/01/2017 at 18:56

Another great podcast lads, I am very excited about the articles written in this years "Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Magazine" especially when you mention by who some of the articles are written by, and I cannot wait to receive my copy. Last years was truly magnificent. One article in particular by an unnamed person caused me to buy extra boxes of tissues in this weeks shopping list. Mabel, Cynthia, Ethel, Beryl and NOW Doris can't wait to have a read. Unfortunately we will all have to try and read the one copy at the same time. This could be awkward. Maybe I could use it as a bedtime story.
I will certainly read it many times and I strongly encourage everybody to get a copy before she runs out.
Get it now and don't be sorry you missed out. http://www.jockreynolds.com.au/2016/12/06/preorde
May I suggest a change of Centerfold for next year?
Cheers.

matt · 24/01/2017 at 19:05

Hey guys, I'm looking to create some outstanding community leagues over the next few weeks. If you're an elite player and interested in being the #1 league, join up now! League code – 348969

Derek · 25/01/2017 at 11:09

Is that anything like Elite Singles?

Tommo09 · 24/01/2017 at 19:09

Watson or Beams?

Canny the Manny · 24/01/2017 at 19:58

Beams > Watson. Watson won't retain Supercoach relevance for the rest of his career. The answer is simple, if Beams is on the park, select him. If he isn't, take a close look at Marc Murphy at a similar price. A couple of years ago, both Beams and Murphy were at almost identical prices to what they're at now due to injury the previous year, and they both had terrific seasons (I wanna say 2014?). We study history to learn from it, this could be a good time to take note.

Lachie · 26/01/2017 at 17:17

Watson > beams

Jib Jib · 24/01/2017 at 22:17

Go Watson, Beams is made of crate paper.

But personally I'd avoid both.

Dools · 24/01/2017 at 19:24

AT fu#£ing last …we are back …whoop whoop

OldOcker · 25/01/2017 at 00:55

Dools, Great to see your name grace this great site again mate, have a bloody great year.

throttlefinger · 25/01/2017 at 03:07

Dooooooooools!

jockreynolds · 25/01/2017 at 12:15

Dools you magnificent bastard!! Welcome back son!

The Ranger · 24/01/2017 at 19:27

Bloody hell boys! I've been a way for a bit and I'm only just starting my preseason this week.
What a bloody lot to get thru!
Big shout out to all those who have been posting and contributing in the off season.
Can't wait to get into it!

Jonathan Camac · 24/01/2017 at 19:29

Thoughts on Harley Bennell everybody? Sitting at a juicy $387,000, is DPP at FWD/MID, and has averaged above 95 since 2012 (excepting injury which kept him out all of last year).IS he worth the risk?

Jonathan Camac · 24/01/2017 at 19:46

Appreciate it lads. Great stuff

TRIGGER HAPPY · 24/01/2017 at 20:37

No worries mate.
    Over the pre season this magnificent community have reviewed over 90 individual players.
    So if u have a query on a player chances r there has been an article written on them.
    You can find the list under 2017 player index.
    Just click on the players name.

OldOcker · 24/01/2017 at 19:48

A tweet recently put out by the Old fart.

"How beautiful it is to log in to Super Coach and see a team of AFL players that you can play with and manipulate into your own masterpiece."

Tommo09 · 24/01/2017 at 19:52

Thoughts on O.Florent?

Kev · 25/01/2017 at 09:38

Like him, Tom. Unlikely to make round 1 though

Tommo09 · 25/01/2017 at 09:45

I thought he may play round 1 like Heeney and Mills have in years before

Bells E Bubb · 26/01/2017 at 11:16

I can't see it myself Tommo. With Papley, Heeney and Mills you had players with the bods to stand up to it from round one. Not many skinny players in our team lately. Ask Brandon Jack. Florent will need a year imho – but I guess we'll all be watching the preseason – he must of been a high pick for a reason.

Rivo · 24/01/2017 at 20:32

Rapt SC is finally back up. Plenty of selection headaches. Have decided to replace O'Mera with Swallow at M6 & add Roughy in at F4. Got a feeling Swallow and Roughy will go alright. Can't wait for preseason.

gator59 · 24/01/2017 at 20:41

So what does this JLT mean…. Is it Jocks Long Trunk !!!

OldOcker · 24/01/2017 at 21:10

gator59, I only deal in Stats and Facts and that is quite clearly a hypothetical. (Unless you know the truth) Juniors Little Tiddler.
    I think it is a series of practice games that more likely refers to "Joke League Time"

Iridium 192 · 24/01/2017 at 22:24

League code 180491. No ghost ships please, all others welcome

hedski · 24/01/2017 at 22:48

Ha ha. So is Jack Reddan a turtle head?

Banga · 24/01/2017 at 23:16

Hey guys, I am in the process of making my name and i need some help as to key rookies i should be picking? Unfortunately, i don't have the knowledge required.

Joeyyy · 25/01/2017 at 00:20

First Draft Boyssss, Arousal levels are through the fookin roof!!!

Def :
Sdoch – Laird – Tmac
Mcgrath(Ess) – Scharenberg – Luke Ryan(Freo) —- Bench : TBA

Mid :
JPK – SloanRanger
Bont – CWard – FyfeIsLYF
WBrodie(GCS) – SPP – Myers —- Bench : TBA

Ruck :
Gawn – Brundy —- Bench : Strncock

Fwd :
Rooey – Dahlhaus – Gunston
PRyder – Black(Gee) – BEddy(Pta) —- Bench : TBA

throttlefinger · 25/01/2017 at 01:09

Stellar podcast as always, gents! Lots to consider. Redden, notwithstanding. And cheeks have gone full scarlet at that shoutout. Was a pure honor and great pleasure to work on the magazine. Sure the community will love every page.

OldOcker · 25/01/2017 at 02:15

I personally cannot wait for it to arrive in the postage.
    It is a pleasure to know that you have, and also deserve to have contributed to this great magazine.
    Being the great journalist you are and the intelligence and knowledge that you bring to this website it is no surprise to me that you have made a contribution and cannot wait to read.
    We all strive to make things better for the SC Community and by adding your contributions have obviously taken it to another level which I am sure will happen every year.

throttlefinger · 25/01/2017 at 02:42

Well, thanks Double O.

But credit where credit is due…I only helped shape the look and did some very light editing. The brilliance inside is really due to the writers and Seldon the designer/illustrator. They have really lifted it to a height much greater than the first JR mag. When they say it was made for the elite SC player, they aren't kidding. I've read most articles 5-6 times…but that's because I'm a bit thick in the head.

Again, thanks for the very kind words, Ocker. Means a lot.

OldOcker · 25/01/2017 at 03:05

I believe you buddy but bugger me dead you should never accuse yourself of being thick in the head. I will have to read the bloody thing at least ten times for it to sink in to this old pensioners head mate.

New Strategy this year to remind me of the mistakes of the past.
        My team currently consists of 30 rookies. (I do have a couple of dollars for upgrades) ha ha
        They will be slowly replaced by guns as I start to look at my own statistics.
        The only player ATM I am considering is Dangerfield as a perma captain. (not yet conclusive)

This obviously requires patience for most.
        But I do have the advantage of my other programs like the "Ocker Team Selector" (The Tool that really takes things to another level)
        Everybody else should be using the "Higginator" Until round 1.

throttlefinger · 25/01/2017 at 03:09

30 rookies! HAHA.

I'm considering going Jelwood over Danger from the start. Get him in later. Use that coin to build a stronger backline. Not 100%. Risky but this game ain't no fun if you don't take risks.

OldOcker · 25/01/2017 at 03:23

I do not consider that to be a risk, You could quite easily end up with both. Why do you think I said in brackets not yet conclusive mate. Consideration of mine and have been thinking both but I need to take some time to get into my own stats. Have always been a BIG fan of Jelwood but I ALSO need a perma captain for my team.
            Many days to go but all of a sudden they go rather quickly.

throttlefinger · 25/01/2017 at 03:31

Very true that.

The_Black_Mamba · 25/01/2017 at 01:13

Excellent podcast fellas, had me laughing once again when Jock suggested that Cloke play in the eagles midfield. Keep it up!

Kevdog · 25/01/2017 at 08:46

Here's the first draft of my team
DEF: Docherty, Shaw, Johannisen, Scharenberg , Berry, Ryan (Stewart, Long)
MID: Danger, JPK , Fyfe, Titchell, Viney, Beams , SPP , Myers (Barrett, Freeman, Graham)
Ruc: Gawn, Sandilands (Strndica)
FWD: N.RIewoldt, Macrae , Caddy, J.Roughead, Bowes, Bolton (T.Smith, Eddy)

Thoughts on my team ? Is it worth starting with Danger ?
Thoughts greatly appreciated

John · 25/01/2017 at 12:19

better options than viney out there

Tommo09 · 25/01/2017 at 09:25

My team so far

DEF: Docherty, Rance, Laird, McGrath, Scharenberg, Stewart (Ryan, Long)
MID: Danger, Gaz, Bont, Fyfe, Beams/Watson, Swallow, Florent, Myers (SPP, Freeman, Graham)
RUC: Gawn, Sandi (Strnadica)
FWD: Dahl, Lynch, Heaney, Bennel, McCluggage, Bowes (Pickett, Eddy)

Problems: Defence is a bit thin
Midfield is injury prone
Don't trust Sandi in the ruck
Forwards have only one consistent scorer in Dahl

Thoughts? I am open to any suggestions on how to improve my team?

Johnny Bee · 25/01/2017 at 09:44

A big thank you to everyone in the JR community for all the write ups this pre-season. Been a big help and had some good laughs. Purchased the magazine a couple days ago and can't wait to get stuck in. Good luck!

jockreynolds · 25/01/2017 at 12:18

Thanks on behalf of the incredible humans from all parts of this magnificent land – and beyond – who have made this preseason our best by a mile. That proud it's just not funny.

Seth · 25/01/2017 at 10:40

Can beams and murthy be in the same team. Also is Sandilands a good option. Thanks jock love ya work.

I N Pieman · 25/01/2017 at 11:12

I think you can have them all. But you need a solid contingency plan if they fail

Westy · 27/01/2017 at 16:09

They're priced at paint the fence = premo + low mid priced.

Macco · 25/01/2017 at 11:23

Whos is the better option out of jack steven and jack viney?

Seth · 25/01/2017 at 14:35

I'd go Viney, but there are other options out their instead of having either.

SupercoachNerd · 26/01/2017 at 09:21

Steven can score very big but isn't as consistent, not sure if viney will be affected by Jordan Lewis coming in to the team

Derek · 25/01/2017 at 11:29

Everyone talking about Sandi being an injury risk. What injury are we talking about?

Last year he got a NicNat knee to his ribs, all reports that is 100%.

He came back for the last few games and round 23 last year, 15 disposals, 43 hit outs, Fremantle beat Dogs, welcome back.

2014 plays 21 games 108 ave. 2015 plays 21 games 108 ave.

is there a new injury?

Rick Grimes · 25/01/2017 at 12:01

Maybe it's a length of the tooth thing? I'm picking him (for now). I'm hoping he can go 100 average til byes. At that price you can go deeper elsewhere.

I N Pieman · 25/01/2017 at 12:30

Agreed Rick. If Sandi is fit for round 1 he's a must have. But expect to offload him at some point & have a cover player

Derek · 25/01/2017 at 12:46

Is there any doubt over his fitness. Can't find any news good or bad

I N Pieman · 25/01/2017 at 13:49

Neither can I. No news is good news

SupercoachNerd · 25/01/2017 at 14:18

My only worry is that in the past cheap rucks like bellchambers and lobbe haven't work

Derek · 25/01/2017 at 14:55

You had to mention the war.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 25/01/2017 at 20:41

But Sandi did. Repeat of 2014? I'll have some of that.

Holty · 25/01/2017 at 22:54

No bad news on Sandi. Only thing ive heard is they are nursing him through the pre season which could mean he wont be completely match fit for round 1. But being 7 foot, he will still get his 40+ hitouts.

Derek · 25/01/2017 at 12:34

this season, especially at the beginning, will see the umpires crack down on the deliberate rushed behind. They will be all over it.

Has anyone had a think about how this might affect SC scoring?

My 2 cents is it could help the small forward. The defenders won't want to rush it and will hold onto the ball longer, keeping play in the forward line instead of a kick out to the wing. Cyril is licking his lips.

Also, less kick ins, do they get a SC point for that? Even so, Shaw etc who kick to themselves, will no doubt lose a few points.

Anyone else have ideas.

Mitch · 25/01/2017 at 12:48

My team at the moment but will change when I get there jock magizine
Def. Docherty, T.Adams, Laird, Johanaseen, McGrath, Sharenberg, ( Ryan, Stewart )
Mids. Dangerfield, Pendles, Fyfe, Heppell, Beams, Swallow, Powel-Pepper, Myers, ( Freeman, Bolton, Graham )
Rucks. Gawn, Sandi ( Strnadica )
For. Dalhouse, Macrae, Heeney, Roughead, McCluggage, Picket, ( Smith, Eddy )

Keenbutclueless · 25/01/2017 at 16:11

Your mids looks way too light. Really need one more premo in there. Heppell is M5 at best. Probably more a M6.

Mitch · 25/01/2017 at 20:50

Ok thanks mate what would you recommend me to do to change it around ?

Keenbutclueless · 25/01/2017 at 22:00

Personally, I would give up Docherty and turn him into a premo mid. Pieman is an excellent judge of rookies and he has felt that you could play Stewart or Ryan onfield. I also feel Docherty can be bought cheaper during the year. He has only had one season at that level. I think Bont at the same price is more value.

Derek · 25/01/2017 at 22:43

I think that applies to most of the defence premiums

Keenbutclueless · 25/01/2017 at 22:52

You are absolutely correct Derek. I was just trying to get Heppell to M5 without reconstructing Mitch's team too much

Mitch · 25/01/2017 at 23:29

Alright thanks boys well what about this if went docherty to hodge, Pendles to treloar, d swallow to l. Hunter ?

Bells E Bubb · 26/01/2017 at 13:04

I don't mind the midfield depth. You need to make money and the mids is where to do it imo.
    Bit of a risk having Fyfe, Beams and Swallow due to history of injuries – but see how they go preseason. To generate cash during the year you could ditch one of those fallen premos and go another rookie who is going to play most games.

SupercoachNerd · 25/01/2017 at 14:16

How many people are starting with zach merrett?

Seth · 25/01/2017 at 14:36

He's not on his own anymore, a bit of risk and reward with Heppell and Watwon and all that back

Keenbutclueless · 25/01/2017 at 16:07

The other problem is his bye being round 13. Fyfe, Neale, Treloar, Sloane, Titchell and Coniglio all have byes. I have 3 of these, so couldn't afford a 4th. Round 12 seems a bit easier to cover, so having a good look at Jelwood, Priddis or Martin.

Keenbutclueless · 25/01/2017 at 16:08

And Pendlebury

SupercoachNerd · 25/01/2017 at 16:19

Thanks guys

Lachie · 27/01/2017 at 18:58

Merrett will probably move behind Heppell this season, with Watson being the scrapyard dog with the hard balls.

Dean · 26/01/2017 at 10:14

My 1st draft for 2017.
Def. H.Shaw, A. Rance, R. Laird, Micheal Hibberd, A McGrath, L. Ryan (B. Long, T. Steward)
Mids. Danger, R Sloane, Bont, Fyfe, D Heppell, J Bowes, S Pepper Powell, D Myers (J Berry, S Bolton, J Graham)
Rucks. Nic nat, P Ryder ( Strnadica)
Fwds. Buddy, J Macrae, I Heeney, Roughead, C McCarthy, H McCluggage ( J Pickett, J Ridley)
Any thoughts would be much appreciated? thanks community!

Keenbutclueless · 26/01/2017 at 10:21

Nicnat is out for the year

Tombstone · 26/01/2017 at 11:28

Hamish Hartlett
Touk Miller
Zac Tuohy

few smokies of mine. thoughts?

Lachie · 27/01/2017 at 18:59

Used to play footy with Touk back in the day, he's an absolute gun. He'll probably be playing more time in the FWD line since last season GC were riddled with injuries which allowed him a heap of time around mid.

Tombstone · 26/01/2017 at 11:32

Not many people starting with Deledio – any reasons for this?

Derek · 26/01/2017 at 13:30

New team and his role is uncertain. He could be top 6 forward this year. I'm watching very close