chad wingard supercoach

Could the Power high flyer rise back to premium status?

by Danners

Wingard, known for freakish skill in the air and on the ground comes in a bit cheaper in 2017 due to a lack lustre 2016.

If he got bonus points for some of the tricks around the goals (see below) Wingard probably would be one of the greatest Supercoach players going around.

Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Still only 23 though, Wingard has risen to become one of the best midfield/forwards in the AFL. Drafted with pick 6 in 2011, GWS passed on him with their first 5 picks of the draft and the Power didn’t take long to pounce on him. SA Under 18 coach Brenton Phillips even said he is the best player he has ever coached in his 10 years as the coach of the SA Under 18’s.

With Supercoach averages of 95+ in 2013 and 2015, is 2017 the year that Wingard returns to elite premium status?

PODCAST OF HUGE SIGNIFICANCE THIS WEEK. SUBSCRIBE ON THE iTUNES HERE

2017 Price: $439,800
2017 Position: FWD
Games last season: 18
Average last season: 80.8
100+ games last season: 6
Sub 80 games last season: 20
Price range last season:  $370k-$528k
Missed games last season:
  • Rounds 2, 22 and 23 with hamstring injury
  • Round 6 with concussion
Significant history:
  • Missed only 1 game between 2013 and 2015
  • Averaged 95+ in 2013, 2015
  • Averaged less than 85 in 2014, 2016.

Jock Reynolds Supercoach Magazine 2017

2016 was a disappointing year for Wingard. Expectations were high due to him getting into the All Australian team for the second time in 2015. He dropped in statistical averages in just about every category which impacted his Supercoach average. Some of the significant categories were

• 15.44 disposals a game (19.18 a game in 2015)
  • 2.89 marks a game (3.86 in 2015)
  • 2.17 tackles a game (3.05 in 2015)

Was he just spending too much time on getting mark of the year back? With Monfries out for the year, Wingard spent more time in the forward line. This could be the reason why Wingard dropped off in 2016 or he might of missed his mates.

RISK FACTOR

At $439k, you’d be hoping that Wingard can return to his form in 2013 and 2015. With the return of Monfries and Ryder, this could be the case, but that is not guaranteed. Other clubs may put the work into stopping Wingard who can be dangerous at times.

Another problem for Wingard is injuries. He missed 4 games in 2016 which is the same as he did between 2012 and 2015. He had hamstring troubles early and late into the season.

SELECTION PURPOSE

Would have to be for him to get back to premium status. There is not enough money to be made with Wingard to be a cash generating mid pricer. With the lack of forwards for Supercoach in 2017, an average of 90 would do well. Could also slip under the radar as a POD in our forward lines.

THE GOOD

• Young, still only 23 years old
  • Capable of averaging 90+ (did in 2013 and 2015)
  • Nearly $100k cheaper than last year
  • Only missed 8 games out of 110 that he could have played

THE BAD

• Monfries returning could mean different role
  • Hamstring troubles last season
  • Could get tagged
  • Tough first 4 games (Swans, Freo, Crows, GWS)

THE VERDICT

With the absence of 2016 top 6 forwards in 2017 Supercoach, it will be tough to get a good forward line together and other players will need to step up. It seems the return of Monfries and Ryder should get Wingard back up to an average of above 90+.

He is one of my first picked, but just to be on the safe side, it might be wise to keep an eye on his preseason.

YES, BUT WATCH PRESEASON

Is Wingard our saviour for our forward lines community?

Danners

Chew the fat with Danners in the comments below, or over on twitter: @Danners16

BROWSE OUR DAILY PLAYER REVIEWS HERE

Chad Wingard Community Poll:

Where are you at with Chad Wingard in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

jockreynolds · 07/12/2016 at 10:28

Great stuff Danners! So hard to believe that this bloke is still 23!? Nearly fell of my bloody chair. He needs to rotate through the guts to return to anything resembling relevance for me. Could happen. Could happen. Gets a bit of a relevance boost given the lack of set and forgets up FWD.. not for me this year. Ripping write up mate

Danners · 07/12/2016 at 22:45

Thanks Jock, only need to average about 90 for him to be a success this year with the lack of forwards

Tim Tam · 09/12/2016 at 10:25

Burn baby burn…. Wingard Inferno!

I N Pieman · 07/12/2016 at 10:57

Right at the pointy end of players that do my head in. Like jock I'd need to be convinced of more mid time. I suppose with the lack of fwds I'll consider him. Great work Danners

The Bont · 07/12/2016 at 11:00

If he rotates through the guts there is definitely some relevance there , according to some of ports coaches is great in the contest .
But never really got a look in this year , your right with the return of monfries this could change , but I just think port need him there because without Dixon firing they don't really have any other avenue to goal . Port also picked up Powell pepper who will probably take some midfield time , and Matty white who will end up on a wing . Just can't see the Chad getting much time through there as good as he will be .
I think the most important thing for the Chad is that port return to their successful ways and start giving him some chances to get a few sausage rolls . cheers Danners

Danners · 07/12/2016 at 22:47

Thanks Bont, forgot about White returning, could have an impact. Greene barely plays midfield an does well, so you never know with Wingard

Raging Bulls · 07/12/2016 at 11:04

Normally I would consider him but because of Port's early bye I am steering clear at this stage. Perhaps an upgrade target. Really good article Danners.

Danners · 07/12/2016 at 22:48

Yeah could be a great upgrade target seeing that he will will be playing the 3 main bye rounds.

MJS · 07/12/2016 at 12:08

Say what???

"Some of the significant categories were

44 disposals a game (19.18 a game in 2015)
89 marks a game (3.86 in 2015)
17 tackles a game (3.05 in 2015)"

jockreynolds · 07/12/2016 at 12:37

My mistake!! Just edited it mate:

15.44 disposals a game (19.18 a game in 2015)
    2.89 marks a game (3.86 in 2015)
    2.17 tackles a game (3.05 in 2015)

Kev · 07/12/2016 at 12:27

Some good and bad memories with Chadly Wingard, the burns still sting a little come winter time, and getting an awful sense of deja vu about how he "should" return to a 95 average.

I won't rule him out. They may have taken away a bunch of DPP forwards but that doesn't mean we won't get forwards-only in SC playing in the guts on the telly.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 07/12/2016 at 13:38

Ah the Chad. Loved having him the back end of 2015.
thought boy is he gonna deliver in 2016 so started him as a keeper and against my better judgement stayed in my team for the entire season.
I Kept Saying to myself he and port will come good hang in there you know what he can do..
Never happened was disappointing and for this reason I am a firm no at this stage.
Hope we see some chad magic in 2017.

I N Pieman · 07/12/2016 at 14:52

You look at his AV & get sucked in. I did in 2014 I think it was. Then you have him & watch him close & it gives ya the shits! If he played 50/50 Mid/Fwd he'd AV 120, but he doesn't. Not sure I could do it again Trig

Harry H · 07/12/2016 at 13:40

Had Wingard all last year and he was one of the most frustrating players. Just doesn't get enough mid time. I'll pass next year.

And he'll probably now average 105 🙂

Steeeve · 07/12/2016 at 14:11

Burned me last year. Needs to be in the guts more but the Power love him forward.

I will say this:
. There are fewer good forward options this year
. Last year he got injured early and had a shit run of it from there — even as a perma-forward he had some big games. Anyone who cops a head knock early will be shithouse for most of the year. Look at Luke Parker in 2015.

One to monitor for mine. Prefer Ryder at that price though.

Kev · 07/12/2016 at 16:30

Plenty of temptation up front to throw a few hail mary's, Steeeve. I reckon with all the fallen premiums in the mids you're better off taking a gamble on that line. Any failure of the mid price guys up forward you've got stuff all to trade them to

neil demons delight · 07/12/2016 at 18:32

great stuff Danners cant be a cash cow but lack of forwards could see him relevant. Burnt me badly last year had him to round 21 could get rid of him so for me so it will bea noand aside from buddy it will be rookies Cheers

TRIGGER HAPPY · 07/12/2016 at 18:58

Buddy could define your season next year.

Article coming out soon.

Danners · 07/12/2016 at 22:49

Thanks Neil, could be like an Aaron Hall of last season, maybe a bit better though

Rogan · 07/12/2016 at 19:56

A burn man for me. Never again. Never. Again.

Gaveday · 07/12/2016 at 21:08

If the power can get the ball up forward consistantly he'll score well. But if you believe the power will be rubbish – avoid.
He's got the silks though. And can go ballistic on his day.

Watching.

throttlefinger · 07/12/2016 at 21:13

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, the sight of your name makes my plums bang together like angry tribal drums, I lose my sense of taste and smell and turns my stool crimson (but that could be because I ate a bowl of beets last night). Solid work Danners but The Chad is getting the year off.

jockreynolds · 07/12/2016 at 22:39

You can beat an egg mate. But you can't beat a… better not Higgo will crack it at me.

throttlefinger · 07/12/2016 at 23:01

That level of restraint is why I admire you so, Jocko.

Danners · 07/12/2016 at 22:51

Good to see you back Throttle! With Monfries returning, The Chad might be getting the year on with me

throttlefinger · 07/12/2016 at 23:02

Understand the logic of that, Big D. But at this point with The Chad rather be wrong than right.

The Stiv · 08/12/2016 at 05:00

He's the kind of bloke who will slot 6 goals and still struggle to crack the tonne. Burnt me a few years back. He's been blacklisted from Stivlingtons ever since.

Derek · 08/12/2016 at 12:34

i had him from the start last year. week 1 he went bang……. the rest is a sad and frustrating season.

I'll probably get him again, good value.

neil DemonsDeligth · 08/12/2016 at 14:23

Good to see you again Derek yeah I agree he is well priced but will he do 2016 again could be another Greene or Hall but the cupboard is bare aside from a must have Buddy cheers

Derek · 08/12/2016 at 15:54

i agree, it is a bare cupboard in the forward line.

i'm considering starting with Dahlhaus, Franklin, Wingard, Ryder, T Boyd, McCarthy

TRIGGER HAPPY · 08/12/2016 at 19:55

Thinking Dahl, heeney, maybe Ryder, maybe mccrae, brodie or bowes and rooks.

Going light in fwd line loading up in mids and defence.

neil DemonsDelight · 09/12/2016 at 08:39

Heeney must be considered Trig not sure about Brodie or Bowes what do you have on them thats relevant

TRIGGER HAPPY · 09/12/2016 at 09:21

Both DPP.
            One or both likely starters Rd 1 as sun's loaded up on mids after jom and prestia left.
            Spot for them in the guts just have to take the opportunity.

neil Demons Delight · 09/12/2016 at 14:49

thx trig as you say theres definitely room if good enough watch preseason

TRIGGER HAPPY · 09/12/2016 at 15:31

I'm sure Jock will be all over them when the preseason starts!

neil DemonsDeligth · 08/12/2016 at 21:01

the first five are on m radar mcCarthy not sure desperate measures depends on preseason. and rookie dpps