AFL Trade Rumours

How did I become who I am today?

Is the innate ability to identify talent born? Or does the river of life polish the rock of a bloke’s genius slowly over time, turning it into a perfectly smooth and rounded pebble?

CLICK HERE FOR JOCK’S MOST RECENT TRADE TALK UPDATE

I don’t know all the answers. All I know for certain is that I’m just a regular man with an extraordinary gift. That’s all. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Another thing I can tell you for a fact: this time of season was a lot easier for Jock Reynolds back in the days when we had 12 clubs.

Consulting for 18 sets of list management teams, half of who don’t know their arse from their tit can take a lot of patience. Patience and time.

So, as I discussed with Dimma and Bucks over morning tea on Sunday, I’ll be streamlining things during the trade period this year.

For the first time I’ll be publishing my trade analysis and the state of play here every Monday in an open, honest and transparent manner for all clubs to use as a resource. I’m putting it all out there for discussion amongst our community.

PODCAST: JOCK, HIGGO & CROUCHING ON BREAKING TRADE RUMOURS

Tyrone Vickery

Big Ty was recruited 8th in the 2008 National Draft. In 2011 he played every game and kicked 35 goals. Things were looking up. Since then he’s been shit house. Not worth a cold half eaten souvlaki. Crap mop of hair. A laughing stock on the field.

Those are cold hard truths folks. You need to be ruthless in this caper. But list management is about more that what’s on the surface. Let’s unpack the plight of Big Ty in some more depth.

• He’s 26. As a big bloke, theoretically, he has his best footy ahead of him.
  • He’s been serviced by one of the most overrated and ordinary midfield brigades in recent memory. He’s had Cotchin with his pissy little dinky kicks chipping the thing around. And Dusty’s gone the next step, but he coughs the pill up more than any other prick out there.
  • Then there’s the Richmond game plan. What bloody game plan Damian? Ty Ty hasn’t known what day it is because he doesn’t know what’s happening up the field.
  • Richmond couldn’t develop talent if it smashed them in the face.

Dimma, if you were fair dinkum you’d keep him and focus on building something resembling an AFL standard midfield. He wants to get to Hawthorn which would be a bloody good fit for him.

Dion Prestia

Reminds me of a little wood chopper off his head on V cans. Drafted at #10 in 2010. Had his best season in 2014 where he averaged around 27 possessions and established himself as a solid citizen in the midfield.

Stuffed his knee early in 2015. Has been out again with a knee since Round 16 this year. He’s had enough of Rocket and the shambles up North and wants to piss off. Early word was he wanted to get to Carlton. They wouldn’t have enough coin for him so he’s set his sights on a bright future at the up and coming Richmond Football Club.

• Can play. Do doubts there. Tough little prick who can win the ball on the inside and add some real grunt to in the guts.
  • Richmond desperately need some talent through the midfield. Ready made talent would be ideal considering they are absolute rubbish at developing their own.
  • Established himself in a midfield full of stars next to GAJ, Swallow, Jaeger and the lads.

Hang on a minute though. This trade fills my nostrils with STINK. Absolute shit smelling STINK. Damian. Do not. Under any circumstances. Trade your #7 draft pick for Dion Prestia. Do not pay him what he’s asking.

This draft will be an absolute ripper. You need to rebuild from the ground up. You will not win a flag in Dion Prestia’s playing lifetime. You will pay overs for him. He has an injury history stretching right back into juniors that fills my nostrils with nothing but STINK.

For the sake of the Richmond Football Club I hope Dion finds his way to another club.

PODCAST: JOCK, HIGGO & CROUCHING ON BREAKING TRADE RUMOURS

Others on the table:

The situation with Travis Cloke will be made public within the next few weeks. The facts of the matter are that Travis is a 90’s footballer who’s not capable of adjusting to the modern game. There’s a bit of noise around that Bevo and the Western Bulldogs are keen. Perhaps they’re keen on a tilt at the 2017 VFL flag? I’d steer well clear.

Jaeger O’Meara is also looking to escape Rocket’s red & yellow house of rabble and Gold Coast are pissed off. Essendon are keen on him. St Kilda also circling. What’s he worth given his run with injury? That’s the key to the trade. If he stays on the park he could be one of the best in the competition. On the other end of the scale he’ll be worth stuff all if he can’t get his arse on the park.

Word is David Swallow is having a sook about Gold Coast’s treatment of Jaeger since he announced he’s leaving. It’s a harsh industry David. Let’s spend more time focussing on hitting the park and less time holding the conch please. He’ll stay.

Tom Mitchell’s contract talks are on hold till the end of the season. I like this boy. Needs to improve his disposal but a ball winner is always worth his weight in gold on the inside. Let’s see how he feels after winning a premiership this year. Unlikely to move clubs in my book. Plenty of talk about Hawthorn. They don’t have the cash for him.

Jack Steele will head to the Saints. Sit back and let more blood flow into that growing trouser of arousal Saints – the kid can play. Has had trouble busting into the GWS lineup. But have a look at that lineup.

Chris Mayne played his last game for Freo yesterday. Poor bastard. Chris Mayne has been Ross Lyon’ed. It’s that simple. Ross has a knack for squeezing the life marrow out of a human being and that’s what’s happened to Chris. He’s no match winner by any stretch but he can play forward or back. A real Jason Blake type. Salt of the earth. North his likely home given their recent cull. St Kilda, Richmond and Collingwood also possible.

Then there’s Tommy Rockliff. Seems there might be just a touch of flog about the boy..

There’s plenty more happening folks. Listen in to this week’s podcast.

Let’s discuss trade scenarios in the comments below.

@wheels_1987 · 29/08/2016 at 13:34

Good write up Jock

I am a tigers fan and i am very, very worried about my club.

Between a rock and a hard place!!!

Cant see any light at the end of the tunnel. We either rebuild (again) or we go the tried and true way and bring in recycled players and confirm mediocrity

🙁

jockreynolds · 29/08/2016 at 13:38

Wheels – feel for you mate. I'm concerned as well son. I think the only way to go i take a stiff bristled broom and clean the joint out. Trade for draft picks. Start again.

Chin up though, it's a funny old game

Boltons Blues · 29/08/2016 at 22:03

Trade for draft picks? Richmond have 0 currency after their 4 best players (rance, Cotchin, dusty, Riewoldt) the rest of the list in B grade to F grade players.
      Full rebuild means tough choices, trade one or 2 of those players.

LEKD0G · 29/08/2016 at 13:38

Lock it in that Vickery is gone. Looking at Hawks and met with Blues recently…probably wants to line up with Jones and Casboult.

C-Train · 29/08/2016 at 13:52

Want's to move to Carlton to play with Casboult and Jones? What, he wants to spread the shitness around?

jockreynolds · 29/08/2016 at 13:54

Wouldn't that be a Trident of forward domination!

jockreynolds · 29/08/2016 at 13:53

The more I think about Ty Ty the more I reckon there's some hope for him Lek. He'd look a bloody superstar next to Liam Jones.

LEKD0G · 29/08/2016 at 14:20

That's why we have blokes like Tutt and Jones, makes all our other recruits look like All Australian's

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 14:23

Is it possible that Casboult is an even worse kick for goal than Cloke?

Daniel · 30/08/2016 at 12:13

Wouldn't that be a dream forward line-up…
    Maybe bring Cloke as well, see if we can set a record for worst goal:behind ratio in the history of the game.

SCaddict · 29/08/2016 at 13:59

Agree with you on Titch Jock. I really hope my Swannies can keep him even though from a selfish fantasy POV there could be a case made for him leaving.

But hopefully he realises that sustained team success, as it appears Sydney will enjoy for the foreseeable future with their new crop of youngsters, is worth sacrificing some of his game and potential pay packet for. A perhaps under appreciated but nonetheless very valuable component of their midfield so hoping the club can at least meet him halfway on his remuneration desires.

The Man of Steele would indeed be a very nice pickup for your Sainters.

jockreynolds · 29/08/2016 at 14:04

Very keen on Jack Steele mate. I just hope we don't stuff around with our 6th draft pick, unless we do some footwork to trade it for an additional first round pick

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 14:11

Think treloars call was correct when he looked at the Tigers list. After Cotchin & Dusty it falls off a cliff

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 14:11

In the mids that is

pod · 29/08/2016 at 14:22

Absolutely, completely vindicated.

pod · 29/08/2016 at 14:24

Well done again Jock, how do you think the Cats will go vs the Hawks at the G?

jockreynolds · 29/08/2016 at 14:40

Cheers pod – on current form I think it will be an absolute drubbing. Lock in the Catters

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 14:50

Couldn't think of anything better than seeing the Hawks get a September flogging. 2 of them would be even better

jockreynolds · 29/08/2016 at 14:51

I'm with you Pie. They've had their time in the sun. They can piss off now haaa

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 15:07

The team that knocks them out the finals whenever that is each deserves the Victoria cross

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/08/2016 at 15:33

Geez they were lucky yesterday.
          Have been all year really.

How was that goal from fitzy?

Without that out of top 4 no double chance.

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 15:45

He was 10 metres inside the square. Massive roost. From memory that would be 4 wins inside of 3 points. Very lucky indeed. Let's pray they are demolished in straight sets

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/08/2016 at 15:57

Thought Treloar had got them over the line.

One of the best 3 qtrs I have seen from a bloke considering he was on donuts at qtr time.

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 16:12

He was majestic yesterday & proved why the ransom was so big. On a big fat donut at 1/4 time & finished on 150. Quite remarkable. He was in everything. I thought that was the goal that potted the Hawks from top 4. Not to be

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/08/2016 at 16:16

did you go?

would have been a cracking game to see live

pressure was intense.

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 16:39

No I didn't go actually. But I watched the game with my boys. Was a great game to watch. Liked the fact that we had our 3 late draft picks playing & some other quality kids stand up. They were all good. Some of Marley Williams turnovers were very costly. Cost us the game. He's a spud

Moustachio · 29/08/2016 at 17:34

How many set shots did Clokey miss tho =( Can't wait til they turf him. Megaspud.

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 18:12

Same old same old. Pot the bombs & miss the sodas. Been going on for a while. Vintage travis choke

Derek · 30/08/2016 at 00:46

As a Hawks fan I'm very worried.

I'm clinging to the hope that they have got somthing in their bag of tricks, I cunning plan or somthing……. Otherwise it's straight sets I'm afraid.

jockreynolds · 29/08/2016 at 15:03

VERY interesting Nathan. Interesting to see Big Jon pull his finger out just in time for trade week as well yesterday. Few sanga's short of a picnic I reckon is Big Jon.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/08/2016 at 15:31

Nice one Jock.

Was onto this last week just to spice it up.

Rocky – Blues pick 5.
More than a whisper …..

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 15:59

Think the blues need a Key Fwd more than Rocky. Can't see that one heppening

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/08/2016 at 16:01

only 1?

they need a ready made fwd not Ty! until the kids have developed.
      they wont take a KPP in the draft again.

be up to the old magician in SOS to pull some magic tricks.

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 16:15

Doesn't he just look through the GWS list & grab the leftovers. Whoever pulled off the Docherty heist should be given a medal. His season would have left Lions supporters in tears

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/08/2016 at 16:44

To quote black adder:

he has " a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!"

Recruited all of them, knows everything about the list
          come to blues knows GWS cant afford to keep all them on the list.
          thomilson will be the next Blue giant.

pod · 29/08/2016 at 16:19

The Blues should look at the Cats over-supply of mammoths, plenty to choose from.

Moustachio · 29/08/2016 at 17:36

If blues pick Rocky, I won't. If he can't play against them it'll knock 10 pts off his av!

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 19:33

Had an av of about 180 against them this season. Reasonable

pod · 29/08/2016 at 15:45

Who are your 2017 DPP nominees? I've come up with a few I'd like to see added to the swingers club!. I hope more Rucks become DPP's.

Buddy (Fwd-Mid)
Ryder (Rck-Fwd)
S Mitchell (Def-Mid)
Hodge (Def-Mid)
RGray (Fwd-Mid)
Gaz (Fwd-Mid)

Just with this list, how good would it get!?!

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/08/2016 at 15:55

can probably add:
    Not sure about Buddy or Gaz but others seems quite likely:

Can also add:

Parker (F/M)
    Montagna (M/D)
    Adams (M/D)
    Vince (M/D)

Even a couple of those Mid/Def get up gives us so much to shore up what can only be described as erratic defence.

pod · 29/08/2016 at 16:12

Exactly Trig, we need more variety to allow volatility in SC rankings . If you get the combinations right, and use to advantage in loophole plays, VC & C etc. would make it intense!!

Mac · 29/08/2016 at 15:54

Anymore news on Ballantyne? Surely he doesn't end up at the Cattery as Jay Clark reported. Unless its for Matthew Scarlett to finish some unfinished business? Any idea if anyone is still interested in Vardy/Kersten? Was reported Dogs and Dawks were interested in Vardy. Wouldn't mind him down at the kennel. Also think Will Minson will get another opportunity anywhere else?

pod · 29/08/2016 at 16:16

Ha you might be on to something re Scarlo and the pest.

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 16:20

The forgotten Skin Flute. Surely he's a Dog gone. Taking the bone elsewhere

Mac · 29/08/2016 at 16:43

G'day Pieman, yes I'm wondering where or if he will find a new home. Pieman could you check your messages on Supercoach?

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 17:19

Did so & replied

LuskinStar · 29/08/2016 at 16:36

Hope you are right about it being a strong draft this year. My Suns are goi g to have a lot of rd 1 picks

john · 29/08/2016 at 17:29

I thought this year was predicted to only be strong for the top 5 or so then fell away quickly?

john · 29/08/2016 at 17:26

As an Essendon fan I would love that but think it is highly unlikely.

Ethan · 29/08/2016 at 17:27

Richmond need to cull
Miles, Lambert, Maric, Lennon, Conca, Vickery, Hunt, Mcbean, Batchelor, McIntosh, Houli and Hardwick all need to go
Had enough of this shit house players and coaches representing our previously proud AFL jumper. Wake up Richmond and notice the problem that all of us see. The club is an absolute joke at the moment

Kev · 29/08/2016 at 17:40

Interesting list, Ethan. I'd hang onto Miles and Houli. Lennon and Conca may have some currency.

Wish they'd give McBean a bloody shot at it. Confidence player who isn't getting rewarded for firm in the twos

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 18:45

Agree Ethan they need a clean out. What they dished out on the weekend was a disgrace. Lucky the Swans put the queue in the rack or it could have been 200 points

Kev · 29/08/2016 at 17:42

Love a good trade whisper, Jock. With the Tigers facing another rebuild, is Deledio on the market?

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/08/2016 at 17:47

part of the prestia trade?

jockreynolds · 29/08/2016 at 19:10

Mate the only blokes I'd leave off the table are Rance and Dusty. Full clean out.

Kev · 30/08/2016 at 09:11

Brutal Jock! But jeez you can make a good case for that

Mac · 29/08/2016 at 18:06

Hamish Hartlett?

John · 29/08/2016 at 18:14

Who are we thinking are locks for next year? I know it's a day after the 2016 season but I'm already looking forward to next year.

Kev · 29/08/2016 at 18:33

Fallen premiums and players returning from LTI's aside, Doch, Danger, Gawn, and Zorko will be my first 4 picked

SCaddict · 29/08/2016 at 18:51

Yes Danger, Doc and Gawn should be fixtures in many if not most starting 2017 teams you would think. All youngish superstars who will only likely get better if anything.

Assuming Zorko retains his FWD eligibility he will be a very popular selection too. Not quite the lock the other 3 are for me just yet but certainly in the mix.

Westy · 29/08/2016 at 21:54

After this week's effort, Fiorini is out of the shadows and into the Suns. My pick for most picked rookie next year (unless SC put a premium on him after 2 games).

Westy · 29/08/2016 at 21:55

Menegola and Wills too (depending on price).

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 18:38

Danger & Gawn no brainers. Doch has played his way to D1. And Pendles because he never drops in price that makes him easy to get. And he's durable. Only rook priced so far are JOM & Scharenberg if they play round 1

Steeeve · 29/08/2016 at 20:05

I got Pendles for $580K. About as cheap as you could possibly pick him up I'd reckon.

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 20:24

Couple of years ago I knocked him back & he was killing me. Cost my best rookie (Polec) & 200k to stop the bleeding. Whilst he's in his hey day he's a must. Never gets cheap. Unless buckley decides to play him at full back. Don't rule that out

Derek · 30/08/2016 at 00:39

My locks will be Gawn & Goldy in rucks. I'm not stuffing about next year with Lobbes or TBC, or Blitz crap. Bang Bang.

pod · 30/08/2016 at 07:02

2017 potential line up, depending on DPP status.

Def.
    Doch, Shaw, Simpson, JHowe

Mids. from..
    Danger, Pendles, Hanners, Treloar, JPK, Rocky, Cripps, Neale

Ruck.
    Gawn / Goldy,Grundy

Fwd.
    Zorko, ZMerrett / RGray, Buddy, Parker

And, I'm including these little gems..

Tom Barrass $336K Def
    Sam Menegola $384K Mid
    Brayden Fiorini $135K Mid

Danners · 30/08/2016 at 09:44

Probably looking at locking Cripps, Gawn, Docherty, and Zorko (if he is a forward). Would like to have Dangerfield, but I should be able to get him cheaper than $720k

Liam · 30/08/2016 at 11:15

What about players like Heppell and Hurley if they get a nice discount ?
    Just another point- no ruckman has held onto his number status in SC in last 4 I belive, just something to think about with Gawn.

Mitch · 30/08/2016 at 11:33

Reckon I'm going to go with Gawn & Grundy in the ruck. Rating Danger, Doch, Zorko, Howe, Dahl, Treloar, Pendles & Coniglio at this stage as well. Looking like 2017 will be a fair bit like 2016 with a fair few quality LTI comebacks coming along fairly cheaply.

Moustachio · 30/08/2016 at 18:29

Due to the inflation they apply to prices each year, I will look to pick guys like Danger and Gawn up later if it allows me to start an extra premo compared with everyone else (and assuming preseason shows that Fyfe/Beams and say Pendles can be relied on for nice C scores).

Patch · 29/08/2016 at 18:25

Phwoar – that's be a coup and a half if true, Nathan! I'm not sure if I can contain my trouser-stretching at the thought

Stevo · 29/08/2016 at 19:04

Many years of shithess (thanks Jock) at Tigerland. Trade frenzy on the cards but I also prefer the draft option. The curse started with Helen Damico (streaker) in the 1982 Grand Final, from which no Tiger ever recovered. We need a sacrificial streaker to reverse the curse in Round 1. Nominations? Crouching? Higgo?

Don't Blush Baby · 29/08/2016 at 19:19

As a Tiger myself when I finally die I want the entire team to bury me so they can let me down again for one last time , so disappointing how we have missed in so many good players in the draft over past years.

Agree Stevo we also need an Exorcist performed on the Club to move the 'Draft Curse' that has been placed on our recruiters

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 19:49

Lets rewind to draft day 2004:

Pick 1: Lids justifiable
      Pick 2: Roughy gun justifiable
      Pick 3: Griffen meh over rated spud
      Pick 4: Tambling horrendous
      Pick 5: Buddy can play a bit
      Pick 6: Williams no good

The dogs stuffed that one up just as bad as the Tigers. But the difference is the dogs realised they stuffed up & got better at recruiting

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 20:07

Anyone that knows me from here will know my admiration for Caleb Daniel. One day during the season I read an article in the HS to my 2 little boys about why the Dogs recruited him, when no one else was interested. Now he's my boys hero. Hope he takes out he rising star. What they did in due diligence to work out if he could play at that level & play a role for the team was incredible. Read the article. Even at a time when the team had no coach. Bevo wasn't appointed yet. He's payed them back & then some. The Tigers don't do that. But they need to

Don't Blush Baby · 29/08/2016 at 20:28

And neither do Carlton INP , they went massively backwards due to their illegal activities and got Gibbs,Smurphy and Kruizer who was ran into the ground at an early age but now playing regularly but is just a player because he was burnt earlier.

Maybe Richmond should get Malthouse as coach and bring with him a crock like Thomas who is still living off his 2010 GF game and also recruit some rejects from the Bulldogs , every Club that hasn't delivered in the past years have issues but there an old saying about glass houses that we all need reminding of.

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 20:55

Derek Hine copped some flack when he picked daisy at pick 2. And some basketballer at pick 5 called Pendlebury. No one had Pendles on the radar that high & much less daisy. Daisy was amazing in the 2010 GFs. But realising he was stuffed they cashed him in. With some pick swaps with west coast they effectively traded him for Scharenberg. Genius on paper. But he's stuffed time & time again. In the same draft they also took freeman. Bust! Kruz needs back up. He's a gun. Over utilised as you say. The draft can be good & evil

Don't Blush Baby · 29/08/2016 at 21:03

Cheers mate, all good dialogue and may we please meet up in a league in 17

I N Pieman · 29/08/2016 at 21:27

Bring it on DBB

neil · 29/08/2016 at 19:52

tiges got Tambling instead of Buddy sorry fellas just makes me feel better after all my clubs crap 1st rd picks.Got it right now though and tiges can do the same but may have to trade someone like lids for early picks cheers

Boltons Blues · 29/08/2016 at 22:14

I have it on good merit and inside sources around the footy world, Nat Fyfe will end up at Collingwood next year, don't ask how, I've heard on pretty good advice (so good he picked Henderson to Geelong before round 1 and the buddy Franklin deal

What picks they are trading or how they can afford it, don't ask me

THE CASTLE · 29/08/2016 at 22:47

Tell him he's dreamin!

No draft picks and no salary cap room
    Maybe straight swap for pendles?
    C'MON?

Boltons Blues · 29/08/2016 at 22:58

Swan retired
      Cloke out the door as of 48 hours ago
      They have the room to pay him, what picks and players they offload we won't know

But this guy is good and knows his stuff, wouldn't put it passed him being right here

Hubba · 29/08/2016 at 23:16

I want to believe you, I really do … but it so won't happen. Surely freo can offer the kitchen sink to prevent him from going . Go pies.

I N Pieman · 30/08/2016 at 09:26

I don't think the Pies have the currency to satisfy Freo or even GC for O'meara. Despite having some cap space. They won't give up Darcy Moore in a million years. They don't have a first round pick. And they are not allowed to trade next years first round pick.

Clarky99 · 30/08/2016 at 10:46

He becomes a free agent at the end of 2017. And we do have the cap space, Swan took up a large chunk of our cap space, and if we get rid of Cloke, he is currently taking up 800k a year.

Clarky99 · 30/08/2016 at 10:29

Won't be next season as he is still signed on with them. I am hoping he comes to us in 2018. What a midfield we will have!

Derek · 30/08/2016 at 00:33

At the start of the season I listed my top 10 midfielders;

Fyfe, Gaz, Pendlebury, JPK, Dangerfield, Priddis, Gray, Sloane, Selwood, Rocky.

My final team included 7 of the above, except for Gaz & Fyfe (injury) & Sloane (suspension). Hanners was the one added.

Starting next season, I really can't see my top 10 changing very much. Neale, Bont, Cripps, Parker are all in consideration, but who do you leave out?

SCaddict · 30/08/2016 at 03:33

You could probably add a fit and healthy Beams to this group too. And given he will likely attract a huge discount as long as he plays OK in the preseason he'll be in every team so it's probably a moot point anyway.

I'm afraid I now for the first time side with the Gaz doubters and don't believe he will be in the top 10 mids for TOTAL points scored next season and thus I'll be very unlikely to start with him. In fact he wasn't even in the top 60 for pure mids for total points scored this season playing the 14 games. So that's one spot up for grabs in my view.

Westy · 30/08/2016 at 05:18

SC, is there any merit in
      (a) holding Ablett for 10-12 matches if he averages 130 and then gets injured, and then trade him for a slightly less premo (sideways to backwards trade) or
      (b) better to hold someone who goes at 110-115 all season.

Where (a) goes haywire is if his uninjured stints are 3 games long and his injured stints are similar throughout the year.

SCaddict · 30/08/2016 at 14:49

That's certainly one way to go about it Westy. Plenty of coaches will likely start with the great Gazza especially if he is up and about in the preseason and he could go on to have a brilliant year playing 20 plus games for all I know.

But for me I'm so fatigued sideways trading injury prone premos midseason and having no trades left in the finals that I doubt I will start with either Gaz or Rocky next season even though Rocky was excellent for me post byes this year.

The plan would therefore be not to start with these guys but instead bring them in as upgrades midseason or maybe not even until the SC finals once I'm more confident their bodies will hold together for a full season.

At least with someone like Beams we'll be getting a substantial discount to make the injury risk worth it in my eyes but guys like Rocky and Gaz will be full priced over $600K.

But if Gaz is flying in the NAB I guess I would be foolish to completely rule out starting with him so I guess we'll see.

Danners · 30/08/2016 at 09:39

Probably Gaz and Priddis go out for Hannebery and Treloar. There are a damn lot of names that can make that top 10 list though

I N Pieman · 30/08/2016 at 10:40

Agree Danners. There is a big bunch. You pick up Priddis after he has his down patch for 500. Happens every year

CaPtKaoS · 30/08/2016 at 11:09

Does Rocky stay in there? His best is fantastic. No question. But he hasn't played 20 games since 2013. If the mid premos you start the season with go down, it hurts big time. Rocky is starting to look like another one you pick up after his inevitable injury.

I N Pieman · 30/08/2016 at 13:12

Seems to miss a chunk of games but finish like a train. Might be best to pick him up later in the season as you say

Beast · 30/08/2016 at 14:09

Traded Josh Smith to Rocky Rd 12, $50k changeover.

Did I stutter? no need to phone a friend on that one.

Moustachio · 30/08/2016 at 18:37

Ignoring guys that won't play 20+ games:

Danger
    Pendles
    Neale = Hanners = JPK = Parker = Selwood

Of those I think Neale may improve further so is a lock, Pendles if not injured in nab is the same, the rest are not urgent as prices will fall due to inflation applied at start of year by CD.

I am going to make a BIG CALL and say that Zerrett will be a top 8 mid again. This kid has ridic talent and so young and weeny, so much more to improve. In a couple years he could be the next GAJ. I would lock him in but need to see how ESS treat him when players return, depends on nab I guess.

For the rest, you can bank on maybe 2 of Fyfe Beams GAJ Rockie playing enough games to be worthwhile. Fyfe and Beams at least we may all be forced into as they will be too cheap to ignore.

SCaddict · 30/08/2016 at 19:17

I got on Zerrett fairly early (about Rd4) and he was obviously one of my best trade ins of the season. I guess the only query is what happens with the Dons midfield dynamics once HepD and the others "bannees" return. But you could still be right about him ending up a top 8 mid next season as he's only going to get better from here.

Moustachio · 31/08/2016 at 01:07

Yes that is the only thing I am ummming and ahhhing about. If the ESS coaching staff are half competent they will give him every opportunity. I think that ESS will play "for reals" in the NAB since everyone is so rusty, so hoping that should give us a reasonable idea of whether he is their go-to midfielder.

I N Pieman · 30/08/2016 at 14:37

So Travis Cloke has requested a trade. I've been trying to shed a tear. But I just can't get it done. In fact I'm on my way to pick him up & take him to his club of choice

I N Pieman · 30/08/2016 at 15:29

Think it's 400k for next year. Still well overpriced by about 387k. Wonder if the pies would do the unthinkable & swap 6M man for Cloke & take over the wage. Huge risk because Boyd has been nothing short of a spud. But the talent can't be denied

SCaddict · 30/08/2016 at 15:56

It's still hard to assess who actually is doing better in that Giants Dogs blockbuster deal even now two years later. Your man Griffen has hardly set the world on fire up north whilst Boyd has been quite a source of frustration so far for the Dogs who are crying out for a forward to put up his hand with Stringer also having his issues. Don't think ya boy Clokey is the answer though.

The Giants also landed the Dogs no. 6 pick in the 2014 draft which they converted into Marchbank who has only played 2 games of senior footy since and had a shoulder reco last month after getting injured in the NEAFL.

Marchbank could even be traded now to continue this merry-go-round of player movement but to what end?

I N Pieman · 30/08/2016 at 16:08

That blockbuster trade has turned into turd for all involved. What's really interesting is GWS had 3 picks in the top 7 after that & 3 times they knocked back 2 metre Peter. I always thought they might regret that. Seems the winner from that trade was GC. I don't think Cloke would be a good fit for the dogs either. But I'm happy to get rid of him anywhere. Marchbank like any Giant is linked to the Blues

Moustachio · 30/08/2016 at 18:16

Well he's played in a premiership and was a top forward in multiple years, it's just he appears completely racked by self doubt. Good luck with that. Agree that he would fit well with the other old timers at Hawthorn! They could play canasta together.

Derek · 30/08/2016 at 22:47