Now that most of our teams are finalized, picking the correct Vice-Captain and Captain has never been more important.
It’ll be the difference between seeing red and green arrows once SuperCoach opens each Tuesday afternoon. Let’s not forget that picking the right seventeen players is also as crucial although the captaincy selection can be more influential towards your final score.
My ‘safe’ captain choice last week was Surgess (66 points) but I was also giving consideration to other safe options in Merrin (84) and Fifita (103). It’s not every day that your lowest scoring forwards are Cameron Smith (47) and Jesse Bromwich (56)! The difference between these players can easily cost you a couple of hundred spots in the rankings.
Let’s take a look at some Vice-Captain and Captain options for this weekend. Coaches should be wary that Craig Bellamy is expecting to rest Cameron Smith at some point between now and the end of the season, so make sure you check the final team list to confirm whether he’s a late exclusion.
As a general rule, we should be giving strong consideration to the high performing backs that are up against the Knights or Rabbitohs. These two teams are leaking a tonne of points which has resulted in a number of outside backs scoring huge points. I’ll be throwing the Big C on Cameron Munster at home against the Bunnies this weekend. The Storm could potentially put thirty or forty points on the underwhelming Rabbitohs and hopefully Munster will play a big part in that. Benny Barba will probably get my Vice-Captain choice due to his epic form and high involvement, although we all know how well the Raiders are travelling at this point.
COACHKINGS: ONE win in ONE contest at ONE Venue and you’re into the finals. Click here to find your closest Venue
Round 22 Relevant SuperCoach Points
- Johnathan Thurston has not been named this week once again and it’s unlikely that he’ll be a late inclusion. The Cowboys will play another AWAY game the following week but will return to Townsville for their Round 24 fixture against the Warriors. Could the Cowboys be without JT until Round 24?
- Andrew Fifita has been named this week despite all the rumours that he ended up in hospital after his Monday night game against the Titans. Coaches should check the final team lists to ensure he will play. James Maloney has also been named but could miss two to three weeks due for the dangerous contact on Hurrell.
- Nathan Peats returns from injury and has been named in the Titans side to take on the Warriors Sunday afternoon.
- Man Ma’u returns to the second-row for the Eels. They’re up against the Manly Sea Eagles who have named Matt Parcell on an extended bench.
- Jesse Bromwich (FRF $347k) is producing a three round average of 55 PPG which doesn’t represent the stats of a keeper. He has made an appearance in my “Top 5 Most Traded Out Players” list which shows that a number of coaches aren’t keen to keep him for the final five rounds. It could be a good time to bite the bullet and make a switch from Bromwich to Gallen or Parker, assuming you already have the other FRF top performers in Merrin, Surgess or Fifita.
- Tom Trbojevic (CTW/FB $421k) scored an even tonne last week and will play against the out-of-form Eels this weekend. There’s no denying that Tommy Turbo has looked sensational in recent times although coaches should be wary of the Sea Eagles’ draw for the run home. They’ll be up against four teams that should finish in the top eight and have all shown defensive brilliance in recent times (Rd 23 Bulldogs, Rd 24 Storm, Rd 25 Raiders, Rd 26 Panthers).
- Paul Gallen (FRF/2RF $395k) is now available for under $400k and is producing a five round average of almost 70 PPG. We’d have to assume that Gallen will be one of the most traded in players this week and it’s hard to find a reason to ignore his attractive attributes. If Fifita is ruled out of this weekend’s game then we can expect to see Gallen score his average at the very least.
- Corey Parker (2RF/FRF $388k) is the other attractive forward option available. He is very similar to Gallen with his recent average, DPP status and price dropping below $400k. The Broncos are up against the Dragons on Thursday so that could mean we’ll see another ten to twenty points added to Parker’s score with his kicking duties. Give both Gallen and Parker serious thought this week.
Personally, it’s giving me a headache seeing all these attractive buys when I used my final trade last week. It’s the big downfall to my favourite SC tactic of keeping all the slots productive throughout the season. Anyway, take advantage of what’s on offer and give the final five rounds your best shot!
Who will be your Vice-Captain and Captain this week?
Current “Invite a Mate” referral leader board;
3 – Chris Connors (Hamilton Station Hotel)
3- Justin Altus (Mail Exchange Hotel)
2 – Sarah James, Broderick Jenkins, Danny Thomas, Robert Rossi
Remember: $500 1st, $200 2nd, $100 3rd, $50 4th-7th
45 players have had a mate come and play – all in the draw for $1000 CoachKings Cup supporter package.