NRL Supercoach Fantasy CowboyWith the closing rounds and head to head finals approaching it’s time to take a look at some point of differences.

Many coaches will be fielding a similar seventeen and we’ll need one or two unique players that’ll either nudge you up the rankings or get you get you that head to head win.

There’s no need to go overboard with PODs for your run home team, ideally you’ll still want a minimum of seventeen guns in your side. The most beneficial PODs for your team will be backs of any description (halves, centre/wings and fullbacks) as they’re capable of those monster scores when playing a defensively weak opponent. Forwards PODs will usually sit on your NPR list as a depth player and may be used when they have their best chance to jag an attacking stat. Let’s take a look at some options.

COACHKINGS: ONE win in ONE contest at ONE Venue and you’re into the finals. Click here to find your closest Venue

Hookers

Issac Luke $ HOK $ (8.7% O/Ship)

Luke is the only viable first choice hooker alternative to Cameron Smith. He’s in great form with his form average hovering around 70 PPG and comes with a cheaper price tag than the Australian captain. He also has the kicking duties for the Warriors although we have to expect that SJ will get those back any week now. Although I’d recommend Cameron Smith as your primary hooker, Luke is a solid choice for those who need to save a few dollars.

Josh Hodgson HOK $ (12.3% O/Ship)

Josh Hodgson shouldn’t be considered as a first choice hooker but he could be beneficial sitting on your bench. It’s unlikely that he’ll be an AE nightmare for the run home and the Raiders have a favourable run home besides the round 22 and 23 games against the Sharks and Storm. 12% ownership isn’t usually in POD territory although most coaches will be running with Smith or Luke.

Forwards

Gavin Cooper 2RF $ (7.4$ O/Ship)

Cooper is a high-risk POD option for your forwards, especially after his woeful 24 point game last weekend. His season average is hovering around 60 PPG and we’re all familiar with his capability of breaking the line off a JT pass. He isn’t consistent enough to put into your seventeen although he’d be a nice addition to your bench/NPR list to provide coverage. He doesn’t come with a huge price tag either so give a look for your run home side.

Wade Graham 2RF $ (5% O/Ship)

Like Cooper, Graham isn’t scoring well enough to make your seventeen but he is a good back up if you need some coverage in the forwards. I wouldn’t recommend him as an option to trade in, although if you’re one of the 5% of coaches that still own him there’s no rush to get him out of your team. If you’re one of the many coaches that still own Ma’u and/or Taukieaho from the Origin period, it’s best not to consider Cooper or Graham as a replacement as it’s too sideways.

Halves

James Maloney HB/FE $ (7.1% O/Ship)

James Maloney should be on everyone’s radar if he’s named to play this weekend. He missed last week’s match through injury but is expected to take the field in the Sharks’ round 21 match against the Titans. You’re probably looking at his 35 point form average and thinking, “Why on earth would I consider this dud?” Well, consider this. He’s the goal kicker for a team that keeps producing great performances each week and their run home draw is quite good. He has a habit of finishing seasons off strongly and he comes with a ridiculously cheap price tag of around $280k. Jimmy would have to be my favourite POD choice for the run home.

Jack Bird FB/FE $ (4.5& O/Ship)

Bird is an extremely debatable POD choice but he can’t be ignored as one to consider. He may not be a stand out performer as far as the full season is concerned, but we’re talking about getting him for a mere six rounds against mostly weak opponents. We would have to expect the Sharks to win most of the final games of the season and almost none of those teams are defensively strong. It goes without saying that Bird could be an AE nightmare although he’d be in your seventeen each week unless you decide to switch him to a NPR against the Storm in round 26.

Centre/Wings

Konrad Hurrell CTW $ (7.8% O/Ship)

Coaches are currently jumping all over Koni for the run home and he may even jump to over 10% ownership. His season stats look horrible but that’s due to playing the opening games of the season from the bench at the Warriors. He is now in full swing at the Titans and has produced 57 and 104 point games since cementing that centre position. It goes without saying that he has the potential to be an AE nightmare when you’re leaving him out of your seventeen but that shouldn’t be enough to deter you from getting him into your side.

Euan Aitken CTW $ (7% O/Ship)

Aitken was a great pickup for the Origin period and has continued to perform very well. He’s averaging anywhere between 65 and 75 PPG in recent times and he doesn’t even need attacking stats to score well. Unfortunately you’ll be forking out quite a bit to get him into your side now, especially since he was under $300k when the bye period began. With the lack of consistent CTWs available he’s definitely one to consider for the run home.

Fullbacks

Matthew Moylan FB/FE $ (4.4% O/Ship)

I’m a big fan of getting Moylan in as a POD fullback for the run home. There are four fullbacks that coaches are currently favouring – James Tedesco, Cameron Munster, Ben Barba and Tom Trbojevic, but it looks to be a good idea to use Tommy Turbo and Munster in your CTWs. The Panthers have a very good run home, probably the best in the comp, and I can see a fullback partnership of Tedesco and Moylan being capable of producing some epic scores for your team.

Jack Wighton CTW/FB $ (7.3% O/Ship)

Wighton has been producing some absolutely huge scores lately which has resulted in his price jumping quite high. The two big concerns with the Raiders’ fullback is his scoring potential against the Storm and Sharks in rounds 22 and 23 along with his PPD (points per dollar) figure with his price being so high. He may not be a favourable option when looking at who to trade in, although there’s no rush getting him out of your team if you’re one of the 7% of coaches that own him.

Which Point of Difference players are you looking at for the run home?

Refer a CoachKings Mate

INVITE A MATE TO PLAY COACHKINGS AND WIN BIG!

TheBeard · 27/07/2016 at 13:17

I'm stuck with something I didn't think I'd ever ask myself in supercoach.

Barba or Gallen for my last bench gun 😐

Don't Blush Baby · 27/07/2016 at 19:30

I have both but worried about Gallens minutes and might bench him,I'd go Barba ad he's in great form

Coach_Cowboy · 27/07/2016 at 21:00

Yeah I'd go Barba mate, he's in such epic form

TheBeard · 28/07/2016 at 14:13

Yeh. Think might hold a week and toss up with Barba/Parker/Gallen

Coach_Cowboy · 28/07/2016 at 17:54

Haha you're spoiled for choice there Beard

Marvin · 27/07/2016 at 17:23

Great words of wisdom fellas. Good to see some common sense and caution applied to the pod discussion which can lead to some people getting a bit carried away "ummm I was going to bring in Jonathan thurston but I'm 9000 points behind the leader and I need to throw caution to the wind so il bring in Jeff Robson. He's only owned by 0.1%"

Konis ownership won't be low for long

Coach_Cowboy · 27/07/2016 at 21:02

Hahahaha yeah good old Robson will fix that problem haha.

Thanks mate, really appreciate the feedback.

I'm expecting Koni to shoot up over 10% this week. Won't be too much of a POD for long!

Don't Blush Baby · 27/07/2016 at 19:10

My Team;
Smith – Nuff
Merrin,Fifita – Graham & Bromhich
Cartwright,Gallen,Mannering – Nuff & Nuff
Thurston,Johnson – Milford,Cleary
Croker,Munster,Trbojevich,Mansour – Aitken (R),Harris(R),Bowen
Tedesco – Barba (R)

I have 5 trades and no cash, and will trading in Leilua (R) via Cleary and Bowen.

Thoughts ? Going for a high scoring backline ,understand that Thursto may not play

Don't Blush Baby · 27/07/2016 at 19:16

Soz,also have Cordner with my nuffies in the 2nd row

Casper. · 27/07/2016 at 20:10

Only dilemma (and it is a dilemma) is you have too many players who wont make your 17 and you will go mad trying to pick your team each week! Add Leilua to your squad that will be 4 guns each week that wont be getting a game! If I were you I would be cutting either (or Both) graham and Bromwich (has steadily become a bit of a dud) or at least get Burgess in for one of them. Apart from that not much else to do, you have everyone else.

Don't Blush Baby · 27/07/2016 at 20:26

Yeah thanks, I'm hearing ya, was mad last week when subs scored better than what I had on the field

Coach_Cowboy · 27/07/2016 at 21:08

Haha being spoilt for choice can give you headaches for sure

Coach_Cowboy · 27/07/2016 at 21:03

Mate that's a great run home team and I really like the BJ addition to it all. Big fan of loading the backs with high ceilings too. You're sitting pretty!

Westy · 27/07/2016 at 19:43

Vunivalu is the lowest average scorer in my 17 with an average of 58. Have Thurston 69, Barnett 61, Afoa 62, Naiqama 56, Bowen 55 on the bench from position 18 to 22. Is that sufficient bench cover?

I could swap Vunivalu for Tedesco by moving Munster to the CTW. Would leave me with about $900 in the kitty. Worth doing?

Casper. · 27/07/2016 at 20:11

Blood oath it is, though I would be looking at offload or upgrading afoa when Thompson returns.

Coach_Cowboy · 27/07/2016 at 21:07

Haha that's more than sufficient Westy! I'm with Casper on trading Bunty to Bodene when he returns.

Your "Vunivalu for Tedesco by moving Munster to the CTW" is perfect. Not sure what happened with Teddy last week but he seemed less involved with no assists, offloads and minimal attacking stats. Surely that trend won't continue. Bowen and Naiqama are your only AE nightmares if you use the loophole

Don't Blush Baby · 27/07/2016 at 21:17

Ah the NRL Loophole, I was only successful once this year getting max points out of a round

The AFL loophole is a lot easier to manipulate but NRL makes it more difficult as you rely on the AE to score well

Westy · 27/07/2016 at 22:03

I contemplated getting Luke or C Smith, but Friend and Hodgson are better value for money at the moment for not many less points a week.

Coach_Cowboy · 28/07/2016 at 18:02

Don't let their price tags scare you off mate. I'd be so nervous running with Friend or Hodgson as my main hooker. Too many ups and downs but I guess they could give ya some consistency through the run home.

If you compare all four 5 round averages, Smith is averaging about 30 points per game more than Friend and Hodgson (Smith 78, Luke 62, both Friend and Hodgson 49).

Westy · 29/07/2016 at 06:15

Taking Friend's 93 points – breathing sigh of relief.
            Trading out Milford this week in favour of Moylan – priceless! 22 points? You gotta be kidding me. (Now just wait for Moylan to get 18 to destroy my hubris.)

Westy · 29/07/2016 at 06:33

I also was too short on cash to get Smith.

Coach_Cowboy · 01/08/2016 at 17:54

Mate, so far so good on the cheaper hooker options. Definitely the better value so far! Great gamble Westy

Coach_Cowboy · 28/07/2016 at 17:55

I used the loop once at it totally backfired. Remember the week JT got all those assists taken off him? That;s my 2016 loophole experience 😛

Don't Blush Baby · 28/07/2016 at 19:25

Putting VC on Milf tonight , just have a gut feeling he might score 2 tries tonight

Westy · 29/07/2016 at 06:29

You don't have to blush, but he might. 22 points. Bad Milf. 🙁

Don't Blush Baby · 29/07/2016 at 16:22

I'll still keep him next week but he wont be starting, enough is enough when I have other subs to use.

Don't Blush Baby · 29/07/2016 at 16:23

JT might be a late in tomorrow night,trained well and is keen to play

Pauly Walnuts · 31/07/2016 at 08:53

BJ,Turbo,Gallen or Fifita with the C ? too many decisions

Coach_Cowboy · 31/07/2016 at 16:17

Who did you go with Pauly?

Pauly Walnuts · 31/07/2016 at 21:14

Turbo, he had 180 at 1/2 time without a try and ended up 198,I thought he was going to break a record.

I'm sitting on 1168 with Barba ,Fifita & Gallen to come

Coach_Cowboy · 01/08/2016 at 17:55

What a let down in the second half although he has a bad habit doing that. Can't complain with the 100+ after updates though! My Surgess captain only scored 66 😛

Don't Blush Baby · 01/08/2016 at 22:06

Finished with 1418 points,very happy with that but could have been more with some players having good scores at 1/2 time but didn't go on with it.

Still have 3 trades & 286k