It’s that time of the year again, Community. We can almost taste it. Fantasy footy is back for another season and isn’t it a magnificent thing.
My side has taken many different forms during the pre season and I have observed a number of interesting trends along the way:
- Never before have we seen such an absence of genuine midfield rookies. They appear to be as rare as a moment of intimacy between Higgo and Cathy. So teams must be structured accordingly. Some are going very heavy to compensate, others are breaking the unwritten rule of starting a FWD/MID player in the midfield.
- So many juicy mid-price options. Wells, the Crouch brothers, De Goey, Steele, Zac Smith, Simpkin, Graham, Sheridan, Lonergan and Seedsman just to name a few. It only seems feasible to pick two to three of these, max.
- We have a conundrum in the ruck. Plenty of great options, only two spots to fill. Goldy will be a juggernaut again but comes with a massive price tag. Stef Martin appears in great touch. Maxy Gawn, Nic Nat looking unders with great value. Sauce Jacobs rarely has a bad game, while the likes of the Mummy can go big. Then there are the cheaper options like Zac Smith. Big decisions to be made here, Community.
My bloody team has changed so much this pre season, and it will probably change again depending on who is named on Wednesday and Thursday night. But without further ado, here is Genghis Khan in its current form.
A couple of key points
- It makes me sick to the stomach I’m not selecting Scott Pendlebury. I’ve started with him every single season I’ve been involved in Supercoach and he has never let me down. I feel dirty. Like I’m cheating on him. I’m desperately searching for a way to sneak him back in before things kick off.
- No Dusty. Like Pendles, I’ve started him every season since I can remember. But I reckon with the strife his Dad is in, he might go off the rails a bit early in the piece this season. Hoping he has a quiet start. I’ll look to pick him up around the byes.
- The Goldstien Had him in my side all pre season, but went down to Nic Nat to pocket the 140K and get Crouch into the midfield. Concerned about starting without this behemoth, though. Very concerned.
- Of course, there are a couple of risks. Sheridan and Crouch being the main ones. Have the option of going Sheridan to a Lonergan or McKenzie if I get cold feet. Could go Crouch down to a rookie and go back up to Goldy. Some tough calls to be made.
All in all, I don’t mind the structure of this side, although I will probably make more tweaks before Round One.