NAB ANALYSIS: Geelong v Collingwood

Published by Patch on

Supercoach 2016 midpriced defendersPhwoar!

To channel my inner Brian Taylor, boy oh boy wow-weee.

What a game we had for us tonight. High-scoring, free flowing, skilful and a seesawing lead gave us the first footy spectacle of 2016.

And, even better, it was choc a block full of fantasy relevance. Neither side left many quality players on the sidelines, and the match quality showed it. Both sides will massively improve on disappointing 2015 campaigns, and I fully expect both to give top sides like Freo and Sydney a run for their money.

Absent Best 22:

Collingwood – Pendlebury, Treloar, Cloke, Elliot, Moore – Phillips a notable absentee, too.

Geelong – Joel Selwood, Jimmy Bartel, Mitch Clark, Scott Selwood

Injuries:

Sam Menegola – looked like a hamstring, commentators discussed a PCL – we’ll know more over the next few days

Josh Smith – the rookie played a brilliant first half before a nasty knee knock ended his night.

But enough of that, I hear you say! Where oh where did James Aish play?

COLLINGWOOD:

James Aish was possibly the most fantasy relevant Pie heading into tonight’s game, and he didn’t have a huge impact. 15 disposals, 9 by hand, 66% DE… the jury is still very much out on James Aish. He got plenty of midfield time and will improve the more games he plays, but don’t lock him away yet! He only ended with 55 points and is still not in my side – which you’ll see on Tuesday!

You’d be forgiven for thinking Scott Pendlebury was running around tonight, as his protégé Jordan De Goey gave Collingwood fans everything Pendles does and more through the guts – poise, precision, and collecting a lot of the pill. He kept lining up in the centre square and ended the night with 24 disposals, 17 of them kicks, 11 contested possessions, 4 tackles and 7 inside 50’s. At 318K as a FWD/MID, he has rocketed up my radar with his score of 95.

American import Mason Cox locked himself into many R3 positions tonight. The big lad had 7 disposals, 4 marks and 2 very composed goals for 68, and I reckon he’ll see game time this year. However, with Cloke and Moore still to return, he won’t be a walk-up starter.

Taylor Adams ran through the guts in the first half, collecting 7 disposals in the first quarter, but wasn’t sighted in the second half. I couldn’t figure out if he’d been benched but if he wasn’t, he might as well have been. 43 points.

Alex Fasolo had a night out, kicking 5 sausage rolls and 138 points, flaunting around the forward line like no-one’s business. He won’t do this every night, and at 407K I won’t touch him in longer formats, but jeez he’ll set some Coach Kings games alight this season.

I was very impressed with Jarrod Witts’ game, as he went after the ball on the ground, did well in the forward line and collected 8 disposals and a goal to go with his 32 hitouts for 99 supercoach points.

Corey Gault played well when he came on in the second half, Brent MacAffer survived half a game in the midfield, picking up 9 very nice disposals in his first game back from last year’s ACL complications. At 190K in the midfield, he’s one to keep an eye on. Rookie Josh Smith also impressed with 8 touches before coming off injured. Jesse White reaffirmed his position as Collingwood’s spud, and is last in the line of the big men down at the Pies.

GEELONG:

Patrick Dangerfield is a star. He was going through the motions tonight, yet picked up 28 disposals, 3 goals and 133 points. We’ll all need him by the end of the year.

Geelong’s rookies played blinders tonight, with Lincoln McCarthy collected 86 points running through the midfield and into the forward line, bagging 11 disposals and a goal, but looked much more dangerous than that.

Naika Cockatoo will be a very good footballer, and put on a lot of pressure to go with his 13 disposals and 1.2 for 65 points, while Sam Menegola looked very good through the middle before doing his knee.

Mitch Duncan stood up in the Joel-Selwood-sized hole tonight, with 22 disposals and 117 points running through the middle. Many people have their eye on him as a breakout candidate, but I’m not sold on him. He does enough to remain on the radar tonight, but that’s about it.

Geelong’s new ruck stocks looked very, very good tonight as Zac Smith and Rhys Stanley (112 and 50 points respectively) showed off their athleticism and talent. I feel both will pinch too many points off each other for a consistent Supercoach season, but Smith looks to have the #1 slot down.

Smith kicked a Supergoal and had 15 hitouts and 13 disposals. Stanley had 8 disposals and 10 hitouts and appeared forward often. Mark Blicavs (55) played exclusively as a midfielder who went 3rd man up often, while Nathan Vardy played deep forward.

Jackson Thurlow looked very composed off a half back flank, providing a lot of run in the second quarter when the cats were on a roll. He dropped off in the second half, finishing with 16 disposals and only 71 points.

Daniel Menzel looked very comfortable, very good and leapt for lots of high marks. He ended with 100 points and at 260K is looking very tasty in the forward line.

A lot of relevance here tonight community, what are you thoughts? De Goey and Menzel valid forward cheapies? Locking Cox in? And what about THE DANGER?

Tom · 26/02/2016 at 23:05

Anyone else considering a sneaky Cox and Grimley at R2 and R3?

Phil · 26/02/2016 at 23:13

No Tom, please don't do that. R3 & F8 might work though

Derek · 26/02/2016 at 23:22

Cox will be my R2 in 2017

Tom · 26/02/2016 at 23:28

whats your thinking behind that

judd0 · 26/02/2016 at 23:16

No Tom I am definitely not considering that.
    I actually want to be able to sleep at night.

Tom · 26/02/2016 at 23:17

Hahaha imagine what you could do in your other lines though

fox · 26/02/2016 at 23:17

One of them at r3 maybe

Dan · 26/02/2016 at 23:35

No but thinking cox r3, grimley f7/8.

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:58

I had to have a cold shower after reading that comment. You'd have to have balls of steels to pull that move. Breaks every known rule of Fantasy Football Ruck Rules. I am absolutely in the Set and Forget camp, so I'm not touching a rookie ruck. Also – as discussed below – Cox probably won't get a regular run at it.

Grahame Lebroy · 27/02/2016 at 07:33

No just No

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 09:45

Your have the biggest plums on this planet if you select them at r2 and r3, I however urge you not to.

Ren · 26/02/2016 at 23:08

Dangerfield a lock?

judd0 · 26/02/2016 at 23:18

Everyone at that price range is a lock if you can afford them. If you don't start with him you will more than likely have to get him in at some stage.

Holty · 27/02/2016 at 00:49

would you select him b4 Fyfe Pendlebury and Ablett?

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:38

At this stage GAJ is the best value of those 4, so I've locked him away, but beyond that who knows? There is no wrong answer at this stage.

Deccas · 26/02/2016 at 23:09

Great job Patch Dangerfield a lock I think

3. votes · 26/02/2016 at 23:10

Mitch Duncan or Luke parker? leaning towards Duncan as he is more of a POD? also good forward / defence rookies? cockatoo or corey ellis

@SC_Centre · 26/02/2016 at 23:49

parker

The Ranger · 27/02/2016 at 09:44

Most would say Parker but I like Duncan.
      He's had big scores in the past (check Ockers spreadsheet) it just remains to be seen if he can do it consistently.

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:39

Parker. I'm not sold on Duncan at all. He's a good player but Parker can go 110. Duncan can't I feel.

I reckon Corey Ellis will be more consistent – Cockatoo will have 120+ games, but Ellis will give you close to 70 or 80 each week.

Leeds17 · 27/02/2016 at 10:07

Parker is the safe bet, but Duncan has a ridiculously high ceiling, I think had he been fit last season he would of broke out like Hannerbury did, very similar players, the addition of Danger doesn't hurt him.

Eric_the_Red · 26/02/2016 at 23:11

Menzel is a star. Will be a beast this season. Awkwardly priced, and yes there is the injury concern, but he'll score well enough to make some money early. Mightn't be a 'lock', but he's far from a bad choice. Am starting to consider a 3 premium forward line with De Goey, Menzel and a rookie starting on field. What's everyone else's thoughts?

Hawks · 26/02/2016 at 23:18

One of the first picked in my team. Surely he has had all of his injuries already.

tophawk · 26/02/2016 at 23:22

Just gonna sit back and see how these boys perform in NAB Round 2 and Rd 3.

Fatboyfat7 · 26/02/2016 at 23:26

You mean De Goey, Menzel and Kerridhe surely? 🙂

Dan · 26/02/2016 at 23:37

I'll be happy for him if his knees hold up but I'm not touching him.

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:41

He was in my first draft and was in and out until NAB started. He's now drifting very much back in. He was in the guts at centre bounces often in the last quarter and I'm warming back up to him.

bailey · 26/02/2016 at 23:13

I'm seeing a lot of teams very similar, same structures, lots of common players. So what separates the top 1000 from the rest??

Hawks · 26/02/2016 at 23:20

Patience, no rage trades, sticking to structures and plans.

Picking a team to start with, where you keep 12-14 players all season.

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:42

What happens during the season is what makes you or breaks you. You can have the best team in the world, but if you pick the wrong upgrades at the wrong times it all comes crashing down.

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 09:47

People will not make the same trades throughout the season. Many teams start off similar but coaches trade at different times to different players. Some will cut cash cows early while some will hold them too long.

@Waltrow · 27/02/2016 at 19:04

Agreed. It's not just about picking the right time to offload the cash cows either. You need to try and find an under-priced premium. Just as the rookie prices start maturing you've got the bye rounds to think about as well. It's pretty-much impossible to achieve perfection.

DuckingTigers · 27/02/2016 at 13:17

The choice of captain throughout the year and the choice of rookies on the ground in the early months can have a huge impact on a team's score. Whether it's luck or good judgement the bragging gurus of May go quiet as the season unfolds.

Breen · 26/02/2016 at 23:14

Thoughts on my team? cheers

Def- K. Kolodjasni, Birchall, B.Smith, J. Aish, M brown, Mhartley ( K. Collins, Broad
mid- Fyfe, Pendles, Ablett, Rockliff, M duncan, Libba, C. Mills, J Jensen ( R Clarke, R mathesion, Cunningham)
ruck- Blicavs, Nic nat ( M. Cox
forwards- Dusty, Wingard, Barlow, De goey, Menzel, C. Ellis ( Kerridge, petrecca)

Thoughts?

Canny the Manny · 27/02/2016 at 04:56

If B. Crouch is named round 1, I'd be inclined to go Duncan down to him and with the cash saved, I strengthen your backline stocks or go Blicavs up to Goldy. I've had Blicavs in all year, but after last nights game, I'm worried both Zac Smith and Rhys Stanley along with midfielders like Jelwood, Duncan and of course Dangerfield will really affect his chances of midfield time and furthermore, point scoring. Even if he plays on the wing I'm still not sure on him anymore.

But otherwise it's pretty good. I like your forward line. I've been going with a 4:2 ratio of guns to rookies for most of the preseason but I think your structure allows for a more evenly balanced side.

Leeds17 · 27/02/2016 at 10:02

Blicavs knocked up 55scpts from 36% game time,

randomcliche · 28/02/2016 at 01:00

Where do you get this gold from?

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 09:48

Do you plan on getting Goldy? Also you have gone expensive fwd line with Menzel and Ellis and F5 and F6.

Gaveday · 26/02/2016 at 23:16

Nice work. Cox won't play, only IF Witts or Grundy go down, then he's a chance. But the real deal might be a bridge too far this season. Stupid Jesse White probably still gets the guersney. (I wouldn't pick him!)
Moore and Cloke definitely walk back in.
Too much in the way for a 2nd year EVER playing AFL player.

Grimley gets the nod at r3. Or Trent west if you got the coin. !!!!!!!! 8)

Kev · 26/02/2016 at 23:34

Reckon we'll see Cox this year. Been at the Pies a while now, he's ready.

magpie4ver · 26/02/2016 at 23:41

Hmmm I kind of disagree……Cox is as what I think Jock or lekdog said ……and I cant remember who actually said it in one of their articles that Cox is one injury away from being in the game?? I thought Cox looked good …..but hes a good loophole and at his price a great R3. I like Grimly as well but the Bombers signed a top up ruck which kinda worries me but I think Grimly and Cox are both good R3 IMO. Just depends on ur coin and structure?

Cheers!

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:43

He's not too far off, as shown tonight. If one of Moore or Cloke goes down, and Brodie Grundy loses form for example, we could see Mason play a few games. Can't see him playing more than 5 or 6, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a game.

Gaveday · 27/02/2016 at 08:43

If Grundy loses form. Witts rucks. Grundy won't though. I have a feeling that Jesse White is his main stumbling block.
        Grimley might be a more secure option for game time. Rd1 as always will tell us more.
        I'm leaning towards Trent west personally because I feel he'll get more game time. Everyone is concerned about rucks this year and I can't fathom why you'd consider a donut on the bench. If you've gone say Goldy and Martin why not downgrade one Goldy to a Nic nat or something and use the extra $ on a more likely to play option on the bench??.

I've never won SuperCoach… So I maybe flawed. Very flawed!

Rod · 29/02/2016 at 17:02

As a Pies fanatic, if Cox hasn't pushed past White by approximately four billion miles, I need to start looking for another team! If Pies are prepared to go with three talls down forward I reckon Cox's biggest threat is Corey Gault with White fifth in line.

Ren · 26/02/2016 at 23:20

Wingard and Shiel/Parker

OR

Franklin and Dangerfield

hedeski · 26/02/2016 at 23:37

I'd tryin squeeze in Danger and Wingard Ren. Have danger wing and parker atm

magpie4ver · 27/02/2016 at 00:30

Danger, Shiel and Parker if you can do it???

Daniel · 26/02/2016 at 23:20

Sad to see Jaensch retire at the age of 26, does this change brodie smiths position/role in the 22 now and make him an absolute lock or the complete opposite? Or is he still an "on the fence" pick?

Hawks · 26/02/2016 at 23:26

Smith Is still a watch and evaluate. His not a lock, but a 60% chance to be in my round 1 team. Job is his to lose.

magpie4ver · 27/02/2016 at 00:52

Agree Hawks !!!!!

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:45

It is mate, but I'm constantly amazed at the ability of AFL footballers to keep going. Surprised more don't drop off.

Re Supercoach, I think it cements Smith's role across half back, and we could see Seedsman or Hampton come into the frame. But I won't touch either of the last two until we're certain of their roles.

Tickles · 27/02/2016 at 08:53

Smith is a bona fide ridgy didge 100% Burn man trap. Check him out last year. Disgraceful scores. 2 months he went on a run that sunk many a good man. I wouldn't touch him with gloves on. He's gonna cost a lot of you many a sleepless night this year. I've been there with Brodie Smith, and I swore at the end of last season no matter how cheap he was, I wasn't coming back for another season of 'maybe this is his week to come back'. It never was. Who cares if he plays off half back, he still sucks. Fools rush in…

LuskinStar · 26/02/2016 at 23:21

Great job Patch. The surprise for me was McCarthey. Wasnt on my radar until now. Also why wait for Danger? Lock him now.

Northernsoul74 · 26/02/2016 at 23:30

Easy to say lock Danger in but you'd say the same for Fyfe, Ablett, Pendles. Unlikely you can afford all three. One or two have to be an upgrade target.

magpie4ver · 27/02/2016 at 00:57

Agree North……. think Danger is a wait and see IMO?? New club and now Selwood is a no go for RD1……he is going to get the tag for sure……Danger is a marked man til Selwood gets up and running?? Just my option?? Danger is an upgrade later compared to Fye Pendels and Ablett. I want to stick Danger in my team but I just cant???

Cheers!!!

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 09:51

I think Danger is more than capable of breaking a tag. Selwood also said he is a chance to play round 1.

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:47

Same mate – had to double and triple check who he was. He looked the goods tonight and is now well and truly on my watchlist. I don't have a huge amount of space in my midfield – with current structures I've got GAJ and one of Fyfe/Danger. I keep flip flopping between the two, but Danger's historically slow starts (despite Cats' draw) has me leaning Fyfe. But I'll be tossing and turning to round 1!

@emhoy · 27/02/2016 at 09:22

Agree about Danger I have him locked in and also have Pendles, Gaz,Fyfe, Rockcliff. I am going cheap down back with Lonegeran currently at D3 instead of Smith along with Birchall and Bartel.

Tony · 26/02/2016 at 23:22

Do you don't think that Reid, Goldsack, Howe, Langdon & Williams are in our best 22

Tony

West · 26/02/2016 at 23:24

Definitely

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:47

I knew there were more I was missing. Langdon and Williams might not be, but the others are. You're right, mate, good pick up.

Stirlsy · 27/02/2016 at 02:53

Patch im a Pies man and ill tell you now both Langdon and Williams will be there in Rnd 1 if fit!!!

Shake n bake · 26/02/2016 at 23:25

I've said all along degoey is a star in the making was in nearly all centre bounces just wish he didn't play that well 🙁

Kev · 26/02/2016 at 23:37

Will he have the same influence on games once Pendles and Treloar return?

throttlefinger · 27/02/2016 at 00:12

Agree Kev. Need to be sold with the big boys back in. Had a great game, no doubt. Regardless, DG has an awkward price so probably a pass.

Shocking that Taylor A disappeared. Sure his ownership took a dip.

magpie4ver · 27/02/2016 at 00:24

Agree Throttle!!!

throttlefinger · 27/02/2016 at 00:31

Hey Magie4ver! Leaning towards Wells as my F4 but if DG sparks it up with the big boys in, may have to make room.

Can't judge them by one game…Adams included.

Although that was a very un-NAB-like game. Intensity and play was FAR beyond anything we've seen so far.

magpie4ver · 27/02/2016 at 00:40

Hey Throttle!!!

I need to see Wells but he's on my Radar!!!!! Yes DG was impressive tonight and raise me eyebrows a bit as the game went on I told Me mate Graham he looks good!!! Yes Adams as well ……………he's on my radar as well! NAB stinks it kills me I have top 3 in back line top5 in mids and top 3 in FWD line that i want and set and forget rucks……NAB is based on the rest!

Hope all is well!!!!

throttlefinger · 27/02/2016 at 03:43

Many on the radar. Hope that list shrinks by the end of NAB 3, my man!

Stirlsy · 27/02/2016 at 03:01

Adams 36% game time either rested or took an inj.

throttlefinger · 27/02/2016 at 03:42

45% DE not encouraging either. 1 game. See what the next game holds.

Gaveday · 27/02/2016 at 08:47

Adams butchers the ball – despite some of his big scores last year – I still remember kicks missing targets and howlers in general.

I've got my doubts over his consistency.

Pass.

DuckingTigers · 27/02/2016 at 13:43

His kicking has improved dramatically from when he crossed from GWS.

Leeds17 · 27/02/2016 at 10:21

Adams only played 36%, pretty good cameo really.

Pete · 26/02/2016 at 23:47

absolutely agree. Did my research last night on him and watched a replay of the pies and geelong last year and he had 10 clearances. He will break out this year for sure with his role in the midfield locked away with swanny in the forward line.
    Now every bloke and his dog will have him. Shit!!

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:49

He will be a very, very good player. Need to see him with Pendlebury and Treloar in the side, but I reckon he has enough class and skill to hold his own in there. Agree with Throttle on the Taylor Adams front, was surprised he dropped off. He'd been in and out but will likely stay out for now.

Stirlsy · 27/02/2016 at 03:11

Adams only had 36% game time Patch, easy to go missing when yr arse is stuck on the pine, of more concern was his DE of 45%

Leeds17 · 27/02/2016 at 10:24

His disposal worries me, could get 30 touches & only knock out 80sc pts it's that bad at times, someone mentioned the Geelong game last season, 25 touches 10 clearances and 7 tackles for only 90 Sc pts… a worry. Kid finds it well though to be fair.

Derek · 27/02/2016 at 13:19

Awkward price considering you can get Polec, Crouch, Hartung (mids) for same price

Antoine · 26/02/2016 at 23:25

you don't think that Reid,Goldsack,Howe,Langdon & Williams are in our best 22

Fatboyfat7 · 26/02/2016 at 23:36

I see it said often but seriously, great review Patch. Was gutted to see Menegola go down, had him locked away early. Will be interesting to see how long he's out, hope he's up and about sooner than later

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:50

That Fatboy, means a lot mate! So was I, he was on the top of my watch list and was looking good! We'll keep our eyes peeled, but worst case scenario is he could be a mid-season downgrade!

Tom · 26/02/2016 at 23:45

would it be smart to go into the season with a rookie who wont play early but might get a game later on so you can use the donut as a loophole for the best possible score of your rookies?

hedeski · 27/02/2016 at 00:07

I used krak for that last year usually good to use r3 but depends on where you want to make $ tom

Derek · 27/02/2016 at 13:51

I had Godard last year that helped me loophole Oxley and mcintosh

Tom · 27/02/2016 at 13:54

Did it limit your cash potential Derek? Thinking of doing it in my mids this year with MacPherson. With all the suns midfielders being made of glass surely he will get a run at some stage

Derek · 27/02/2016 at 14:38

I thought he would play sooner than he did

I did start with kracker as well, gave me a mid/fed loop as well

Sam · 27/02/2016 at 00:11

Pies were also missing goldsack, reid, howe, williams, langdon, Sharenberg…

hedeski · 27/02/2016 at 00:36

All 2nd stringers

Sam · 27/02/2016 at 00:44

I think your dreaming buddy

magpie4ver · 27/02/2016 at 01:09

I 2nd that!!!!

Sam · 27/02/2016 at 12:19

Yeah, hedeski just seems to be a bit emotional over his cats losing last night. The Pies were clearly missing alot more important players than the cats yet we still managed to beat them

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:51

I knew I'd missed a few. Not sure Williams and Langdon are best 22, but there were more names missing than I put up. Thanks for the pickup!

HOLLA · 27/02/2016 at 04:49

Cant believe you just said that patch. Langdon has played 41 games in his first 2 seasons. Williams has played 35 since round 7 2014, including 20 last year. Cmon maaayn.

Sam · 27/02/2016 at 12:14

Patch i loved your article, however this comment is entirely wrong. Both Williams and Langdon are clearly locked in our back 6. Which they finished 6 + 7 in our BnF last year

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 09:55

It's more about the sc relevant players who PLAYED, not about those who didn't.

Aaron · 27/02/2016 at 01:08

Is anyone else tempted to drop Pendles for Danger?

magpie4ver · 27/02/2016 at 01:20

I'm just tempted to smoke what you are smoking!!!!! NO!!! lol

Cheers Mate!

Grahame Lebroy · 27/02/2016 at 07:43

Already have , I think Danger outscores Pendles this year . He could be ready to let loose this year and have his best season.

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 09:54

I've just made that switch as well. Danger looked sooo good.

Derek · 27/02/2016 at 13:14

I've got Fyfe, Ablett, Danger and Pendles.

Plus Rocky. JPK misses out

Holty · 27/02/2016 at 13:38

Not in a million years.

Jambo · 27/02/2016 at 01:12

I'm very tempted to start the year with Pendlebury and Mundy as my lead midfielders and without Ablett or Fyfe. Why not start with Mundy?? He's uber consistent and named captain of a gun midfield. My gut tells me that Ablett could be heading into phase 3 of his career whereupon he needs to carefully manage his workload. Fyfe could be a 585k pickup mid-season, who knows, who cares (haha). I may be wrong. We shall see…

Duncan has locked himself into my midfield with that performance. My arousal curve leapt up a notch at the possibilities he offers.

magpie4ver · 27/02/2016 at 01:44

sigh

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 01:56

GAJ is starting for me – he's priced to average 115 or so and for him that's a bargain. I love David Mundy – he's a gun midfielder and could go next level with the captaincy. He's also a HUGE point of difference as I haven't seen him mentioned yet. However, he – and to a smaller extent Pendles – doesn't have the ceiling Fyfe, GAJ and Danger do.

Like that you're thinking outside the box though Jambo! Would be a potent combination, but feel you need one of the other three to grab a huge captaincy score (or Goldstein for that matter).

mick944 · 27/02/2016 at 02:03

Great review mate.

Any thoughts on Pendles and Martin or Fyfe and Mumford? Doing my head in….

Kev · 27/02/2016 at 09:29

Option 1 only because question marks over Mummy's durability.

Mumford maybe a sneaky POD though, seems a lot of teams are going set and forget (Goldy, Martin, Jacobs, Nic Nat, Gawn) or going the mid priced route with Lobbe. If he's fit and firing, he can definitely match it with Goldy and co. I do think you need forward line cover though, Tippett was solid enough last week (10 touches, 27 hit outs, 86sc). Hopefully we'll see more of him next week

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 12:30

Thanks Mick! Think Stefan Martin will have a massive year this year, but also have Mumford in and out of my side. Have a look at Mummy if he plays NAB and we'll see. At this stage option 1 though.

BarronVonCrow · 27/02/2016 at 02:59

SC Scores for all you fine folk,

GEELONG

Nathan J. Brown 31

Josh Smith 31

Jesse White 31

Jack Frost 25

Brayden Maynard -1.

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 12:23

Ripper Barron, thanks mate.

@RainmanDT · 27/02/2016 at 06:43

No mention of Sidey? Thought he was great and his role won't change with Pendles or Trevor back in. Sitting comfortable at M5 for me

Northernsoul74 · 27/02/2016 at 08:45

Nice POD.

Brianballs · 27/02/2016 at 08:46

had an incident with his thumb before half time, played awesomely after it though so nothing wrong with that.

Booma · 27/02/2016 at 09:08

My thoughts exactly Rainman.. Have had him tucked away at M4 instead of Pendles. Hoping on a big year from the sidebum..

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 09:53

You aren't concerned with the like of Pendles, Swan, Treloar, Adams, Aish, De Goey, Greenwood, Crisp going through there that he might get less points?

@RainmanDT · 27/02/2016 at 10:01

Not at all.. he gets a lot of his points floating through the back half and link up across the wing. Elite tank, runs everywhere

Kev · 27/02/2016 at 11:10

I was surprised at his numbers, Rainman. Like you, I always had him pegged as an outside player, but recorded 8 clearances and 15 contested possies last night.

Had a look at his stats and he goes at roughly 1:2 contested: uncontested touches throughout his career. Didn't come close to 8 clearances per game last year. Has his role changed? Or is that a direct effect of Collingwood lacking a few midfield personnel? I wasn't really interested before looking at his numbers, but I love blokes who go and get their own footy. Will watch and see if he has the same kind of numbers next week

DuckingTigers · 27/02/2016 at 13:59

Steele has been a winger who occasionally attends centre bounces over the past few seasons. In each NAB he has attended more centre bounces than he does in the season proper.

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 12:25

Sidey played a really good game, but I'm not sure he will stand out enough over the course of the season. Interesting CK pick, but I don't see him as someone who will push big numbers consistently in the longer form of the game.

I wasn't able to write everyone up, otherwise it would have been a few thousand words long!

Iamme · 27/02/2016 at 09:38

Being a Collingwood man I love Sidey, he has the ability to go big…but also can be inconsistent…..so wont be picking him.

Big Azz · 27/02/2016 at 09:41

any thoughts about this team lads??

DEF – McVeigh, Bartel. Yeo, Rosa, Bomber Brown, Tucker (broad, hibberd)
MID – Pendles, Ablett, Rockliff, Parker, Wines, Libba, B Crouch, Petracca (Cunningham, Mathieson, Beech)
RUCK – Martin, Lobbe (wyatt)
FWD – Martin, Bennell, Barlow, DeGoey, Wells, Kerridge (grimley, sumner)

any tips or concerns??

Cheers

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 10:09

Watch McVeigh to see if he gets a gig round 1. Like the Bennel selection, not in many teams on here.

Kev · 27/02/2016 at 10:56

Not sure how Bennell is going with his calf issues, Beast. There are news reports from last month saying that he was training away from the main group. Would like to get a look at him in the nab before I consider him

Leeds17 · 27/02/2016 at 10:29

A little too mid price for me, not interested in Fyfe or Danger or Goldy?

Big Azz · 27/02/2016 at 11:17

SC_ beast & Kev…. bennell training with main group now…. and set for NAB3… he is my POD. silky smooth at training and running free!

Leeds… wanted danger or fyfe … but should be able to grab them cheaper soon as my mid price value picks make some cash. so much value in a fit wells imo… as well as libba and crouch – those 2 are 100 average mids and so cheap this year due to their injuries last year and de goey should ave 90+ i expect.

im gambling on no repeat injuries! haha

Jambo · 27/02/2016 at 16:26

I reckon downgrade DeGoey to a rookie and upgrade Crouch to maybe Cripps.
    I like your selections of Rosa and Stef Martin.

Big Azz · 27/02/2016 at 16:33

Jambo…. I took the advice of prob one to many mid pricers, and also needing another super premo so I downgraded de goey to a rookie and upgraded Parker to danger. Pretty happy with it now. I expect b crouch to crush it if he isn't injured now that danger has left. And his brother m crouch might also be a smokie.

TheMont · 27/02/2016 at 09:47

Thoughts on maybe passing pendles and getting sidey? They will both play similar roles running through the guts and having rests on half back, so is it worth paying the extra 60k?

Big Azz · 27/02/2016 at 09:50

pendles just way more consistent imo. set and forget him for the season. i dont think sidey will be in top 8 mids by end of season.

TheMont · 27/02/2016 at 10:06

yeh truee man thanks

Iamme · 27/02/2016 at 09:49

i'm a bit up in the air with McVeigh and will Bartel play enough games?…Maybe you could do with another super premo mid?… but other than that looks pretty solid to me.

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 10:09

McVeigh is very consistent and doesn't miss many games. Bartel needs to play 17 games to get him to 300. So I don't think these 2 will miss many games IMO

Shake n bake · 27/02/2016 at 09:55

Macaffer 53 pts in half a game! If he stays away from any inj he'll be there round 1. M8 in my side atm.

tophawk · 27/02/2016 at 10:19

Macaffer at 174 K has got be seriously looked at after last night. Will watch in next few games. Very tempting to put straight into my m7 pozzie.

Leeds17 · 27/02/2016 at 10:27

Unlikely to average over 60pts, pass for me.

tophawk · 27/02/2016 at 10:47

Yep. Agreed. Just checked Macaffer's averages in previous seasons. Gone off him. Could be a huge trap. Will not make my team.

Average Joe · 27/02/2016 at 11:06

In previous seasons, he was used mainly as a tagger, and before that as a forward. He's not expected to play as a tagger much, if at all. I reckon he will average around 75

Derek · 27/02/2016 at 12:44

Shhhhhh. I was hoping no one would notice him or that he was now in the Collingwood leadership group

SCaddict · 27/02/2016 at 11:05

He looks in fantastic nick too and appears to have more freedom to accumulate touches if tonight's game was any indication, could be different in the real stuff of course.

Totally in the mix for one of our precious mid spots if he keeps this up though it will be tough to fit him in especially for coaches who plan on going in with Mills and/or Parish and/or Crowley and/or Crouch etc.

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 12:26

He'll be released from his tagging role this year, but he will be playing forward according to Bucks. Needs to show he can get mid minutes in a full strength side before I fork out for him.

Holty · 27/02/2016 at 13:23

he will be in my side on the bases he is in their best 22. still not 100% certain he has lost his tagging role as i dont think they have anyone else to do the job well. if he does smash out a few 80s early in the season, he will then start but he will simply be sitting on the pine and used as backup for injuries in my side.

Shake n bake · 27/02/2016 at 13:30

Crisp & Greenwood both at times had run with roles last year.

pup · 27/02/2016 at 10:12

just created a 10 man private league code is 853059 so get in if you love sc

SCaddict · 27/02/2016 at 11:10

Such a ripping practice game last night with fantasy relevance galore as you said Patch. It makes me almost forget that last weekend even happened. 🙂

Footy is BACK BABY!

tophawk · 27/02/2016 at 11:15

After yesterday's bombshell with the shock retirement of Mathew Jeansch, the case to have Brodie Smith in the backline has strengthened markedly. Should get even more of the footy now. At 415K he has got be seriously looked at.

Average Joe · 27/02/2016 at 11:29

Think he already was being seriously looked at. According to Herald Sun he is 23rd most picked player, and the 4th most popular defender. Reckon he's a lock, getting 144 and 117 before taking a few knocks and concussions throughout last year, which he should hopefully return to.

Big Azz · 27/02/2016 at 11:23

Here is an 18 team league if you want to join in!
380677

Average Joe · 27/02/2016 at 11:23

Parker or Wines?

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 11:35

Can't go wrong with either my friend.

FootyFanatic · 27/02/2016 at 11:51

Roll of the dice for me they are both guns. If you can't decide, pick the player from the team that you think will have a better year

Derek · 27/02/2016 at 12:40

I'd go wines. Port have a great run of first 10 games. Need someone from Port

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 11:51

What's the communities thoughts around Lincoln McCarthy?

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 12:27

He's annoying me at the moment. Played very, very well, but we won't get a chance to see how he plays with both Selwoods in the side until round 1, and a role change in r1 is the last thing we want. However, he is firmly on the watchlist.

Michael · 27/02/2016 at 11:55

Every year I end up going template and pretty much have the same team as everyone this year thinking outside the square is it completely stupid to go real
Low in the ruck department for example Currie and cox (if he plays) of lobbe and Currie for example. That way splashing all the cash around the midfield and look to upgrade rucks by round 10-11 ?
Stupidity or brilliance

Patch · 27/02/2016 at 12:29

It could be brilliance mate, but if you're going to muck around in one area of the ground I wouldn't do it in the rucks. Set the line and forget it in my book and take risks elsewhere – I played a 2 premo 6 rook forward line last year and am tempted to do a similar thing again this year. Those are the 'outside the box' plays I'd rather take, but if you've got the balls of steel required, you back yourself mate.

Michael · 27/02/2016 at 13:37

The only reason I think the rucks is because by having a big name midfield early the amount of points gained will be more then having rucks and then rookies in midfield

Sam · 27/02/2016 at 12:42

at this stage its currently stupid as im not sure if currie or cox will be playing enough games to make them reliable enough. however if it works out well then it quite a good idea then.

West · 27/02/2016 at 12:46

I remember that John Bruyn, the winner in 2013 went into the season with Blicavs and Currie at R2 and R3.

I like the idea even though youd have to have some really big balls to pull it off

Michael · 27/02/2016 at 13:36

Yea not them exactly just that price range 🙂 I'm really tempted to give it a go but I gotta see round one teams and see who's playing even grimley from Essendon if he gets some games

Ethan017 · 27/02/2016 at 13:44

for me it's just too risky but if I was to go with a format similar to this maybe a premo and Grimley or maybe even Lobbe and Grimley

good luck mate

Tom · 27/02/2016 at 12:35

Is there a reason no one is considering Matt Boyd?

Been an absolute gun his whole career and think he can back it up again this year

thoughts?

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 12:46

Tooth Length

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/02/2016 at 13:27

Agree. Every time I look at my Def I think he needs to be added. See how he goes in the nab but if does his usual thing think he will find his way into my team.

Westy · 27/02/2016 at 13:22

This may have impacted on my ruck / fwd POD. Had Grimley at R3 and Stanley at F5. Not sure on Stanley at 50pts. Will have to revisit.

FootyFanatic · 27/02/2016 at 13:44

I personally wouldn't choose Stanley, there are much better options around that price. So you still have a ruck-foward swing though, I'd recommend having grimly at F7-8 and Cox as your R3.

Westy · 27/02/2016 at 17:00

Yeah, I was impressed with his scoring last year when Stanley and Blitz were tag teaming in the ruck, but Smith appears to be changing that.

Ethan017 · 27/02/2016 at 13:36

Simpkin or D. Menzel

tophawk · 27/02/2016 at 14:15

Right now its Menzel. He was excellent last night. But that can change.Will have a look at Simpkin tomorrow against the blues.

Vinny · 27/02/2016 at 15:49

wells for me

Ethan017 · 27/02/2016 at 13:40

Rate my team if you could
KK, Docherty, Yeo, Aish, Dea Broad (Bonner Brown (Ess.)
Midfield
Danger, Ablett, Parker, Rockliff, Wines, Libba, B.Crouch, Mills (Keays, Freeman, Mathieson)
Forward line
Dusty, Barlow, Greene, Conca, D.Menzel (50-50 on him or simpkin), Kerridge (Petracca, Kommer
Rucks
Goldstein, Lobbe (Grimley)

Ren · 27/02/2016 at 13:45

A lot of risk in that backline. All three of KK, Doc and Yeo could fail this year

apart from that it looks pretty good. Similar to many other teams

Vinny · 27/02/2016 at 13:58

Hey fellas, now i know Dusty Martin is probably the best pick of the forwards, and will be all year round most likely, but do we expect his price to fall much? if so what do everyone think we could possible get him at? Thanks 🙂

magpie4ver · 27/02/2016 at 15:16

Lock him up and save the trade IMO.

Vinny · 27/02/2016 at 15:49

Thanks, will do then.

SC_Beast · 27/02/2016 at 14:05

Wait and see how Simpkin goes.

Tom · 27/02/2016 at 14:07

Do we think De Goey can be a keeper?

magpie4ver · 27/02/2016 at 15:11

Gawd I dont know? Have to see how he goes in the next 2 NAB games but he caught my attention!

xav · 27/02/2016 at 15:17

need rookies got parish mills locked away but need 3 or 4 on each line please help

FootyFanatic · 27/02/2016 at 16:20

If your not sure about rookies, wait for the next version of Jock's cheat sheet and it'll help you with choosing the right ones

bill not ted · 27/02/2016 at 15:18

macaffer?

Saundo · 27/02/2016 at 18:04

Swan and Shiel or Rocky and Parker?

Womando · 27/02/2016 at 23:55