What is CoachKings? Community Q&A

Published by Jock on

CoachKings In-Venue Daily Fantasy

My beloved community.

Something’s been bugging me this past year or so. Something’s been missing.

You see, the fantasy community in this wide brown land of ours is a beautiful thing. It brings folk from all walks of life together in fellowship. In mateship.

A hell of a lot of us have formed bonds of fellowship through the beauty and the majesty of fantasy footy. I’m bloody proud to have overseen an online community that has seen countless friendships form. Real friendships.

As I scroll through our communities electronic pages, through its tweets and its facebook pages it gives me a hell of a lot of satisfaction to see blokes who otherwise wouldn’t have known each other from a bar of soap share life together on the interwebs. But again. Something is missing.

We’re all sharing a journey together. And us blokes need each other. Blokes need to get together in person for a beer and to speak crap. It keeps us sane. Puts life’s troubles into perspective. We laugh with each other. We laugh at each other. Laugh at a world gone bloody mad. And we share in the burden of each other’s life journey. That’s fellowship folks. That’s community.

I’m here to tell you that a new dawn in fantasy footy breaks this season my friends. I’m here to tell you that the day has arrived for us to drink real beer together. Break real bread. With the power bestowenthed unto me from the gods of fantasy footy – I present to you a fantasy concept crafted from thine very own hands for my very own community.

I PRESENT TO YOU – COACHKINGS

In pubs across the entire width and breadth of this land we will compete against each other in the majestic surrounds of the local pub.

Those lucky few among you will rise from obscurity to take their place on the altar of fantasy stardom. You will rise as CoachKings of your pub. CoachKing of your local community.

And at the end of the 2016 season – one man will be crowned as the first inaugural CoachKing of Australia.

This is how it works:

• We will have a CoachKings contest in participating venues every night of the AFL & NRL season, and also on Sunday afternoons
  • Absolutely FREE entry into all contests
  • You select a team of 9 players from the pool of 44 playing the game featured at your venue on the day
  • This all happens on your own mobile device. You’ll register. You’ll join your venue’s contest when you rock up to the venue. You’ll keep track of how your team is performing. You’ll check where you’re sitting on your venue’s live CoachKings ladder all on your phone while enjoying your preferred publicans finest ale
  • In front in your venue at half time? The venue will have a prize for you. Jug of beer perhaps. Win the contest? Another magnificent prize from the venue. And here’s where it gets very arousing..
  • Win any contest at your venue and you qualify for the Venue Final to be held on Semi Final weekend. Win multiple contests (up to 5) and you’ll be able to enter multiple teams into your Venue Final
  • And if you do well enough in your Venue Final – you’ll qualify to contest the COACHKINGS CUP. $50,000 in prizemoney will be up for grabs in both AFL and NRL, and the title of Australia’s very first COACHKING

We’re talking an In-Venue Daily Fantasy Sport Revolution here. One contest per fixtured CoachKings contest. No season long commitment. In the pub. Drinking beer. With your mates.

I’m sure you’re stuffed full of questions community – let’s get the CoachKings conversation started in the comments below.

LIKE OUR COACHKINGS FACEBOOK PAGE HERE

RankinG · 08/02/2016 at 15:16

Jock and boys – I already have a group of 5 mates ready for the Richmond vs Carlton contest. Just need to find out which pub we can play at. We live our Pakenham way – will you have it out there? Sounds awesome!!

jockreynolds · 08/02/2016 at 15:35

G'day RankinG! At this stage we have locked in Trios Sports Bar in Cranbourne. We're about to hit up Castello's Cardina on the HWY and a few others near you – put in the good word for us mate and I'll shout you a pot. Cheers mate.

LEKD0G · 08/02/2016 at 16:11

Good to see people rallying behind coach kings!

Shane-o · 08/02/2016 at 15:43

Any venues in Queensland at this stage Jock?

jockreynolds · 08/02/2016 at 15:57

We've got a crew who have just started getting around to venues in QLD – most are after NRL. Shoot us through a venue wish list mate and we'll get these asap. Ripper Shane-o!

Shane-o · 09/02/2016 at 03:29

I've got a few in mind Jock old mate (Harrup Park Country Club, Mt Pleasant Tavern) but I live in Mackay (regional north qld) and i'm guessing you'll be focusing on the big cities first. Let me know if you need an agent in the Whitsundays region!!

Cozza · 09/02/2016 at 11:49

Hit up the Federal Hotel in Toowoomba!! They sponsor both local rugby and AFL clubs

Hugh · 08/02/2016 at 17:29

I assume there will be a cost to participate per game? Any in the western suburbs of Melbourne???

jockreynolds · 08/02/2016 at 17:30

Hugh old mate she is absoutely Free as a bird to enter. That's part of the beauty. You see, the pubs pay us to provide them with the game. They love it because they get bums on seats. I know Sanctuary Lakes in Point Cook is signed up – there will be plenty of others so stay tuned

Leighroy · 08/02/2016 at 23:44

Been there to play poker it’s a nice venue but about 40 min from home. Hope you get a venue out my way near Melbourne airport

OldOcker · 08/02/2016 at 18:25

Do you have any in Warrnambool yet Jock.
Lots of mates would be keen.

Will the online game be free to enter?

Cheers.

jockreynolds · 08/02/2016 at 18:47

Haven't got to Warrnambool yet Ock old mate but you name a venue … The Henty?? and we'll give it a crack. Better still – get in the publican's ear mate.

The online game will have a few free rolls but most game options will be a buy in … from $2 to ??

cheers mate.

OldOcker · 08/02/2016 at 18:57

Jock,
      Will do but I need to know what I am selling, The in and out of it so to speak. Advantages for the Publican etc. Bums on seats are hard to get these days.
      I will give it a crack for you mate just send me a Note.

Cheers.

hedski · 08/02/2016 at 23:00

Gday old ocker.. ha ha the henty…
    what about the horse??? Reckon they’d have a crack.. bool boy.

OldOcker · 09/02/2016 at 12:46

Reckon they would too mate, There are many that would have a go I reckon, Mac's. Rafferty's, The Warrny etc etc.

hedski · 09/02/2016 at 13:36

Yeah might drop in next day or so word monkey up

OldOcker · 09/02/2016 at 20:06

hedski,
          Honestly do not visit local pubs anymore as I am a disability pensioner and can't afford. I drink at home like many these days.
          Do not know any publican's personally and I could sell ice to the Eskimo's but wont sell anything to anyone that does not need it. I do not fully understand Coachkings well enough but I am very willing to help Jock get the foot in the door.

Thinking I know is not good enough for me, I need to know all the ins and outs of it before I can even mention it to a Publican. If I get asked questions without having a confident and responsive answer I just could not do it mate.

When you are down this way you are quite welcome to give me a call and meet up for a quiet one. Jock has my number.

Cheers.
          By the way I do not have Facebook so it is hard to know much about it from the aspect of info too.

OldOcker · 09/02/2016 at 20:10

OR PM me on Twitter.
            Cheers.

hedski · 09/02/2016 at 20:24

Gotta young family myself ocker and like you prefer t sip a few at home, but I’d mayb venture for a coupla pots watch a game for a few hours every week or two if ck was there. Not on Facebook ortwitter bud but im also no salesman will just mention it to venue cant do much more. Thanks for the invite mate always thirsty!

jockreynolds · 10/02/2016 at 14:44

Gday Hedski – best thing you can do as you say is rock up to the joint and ask the hotel manager about it. If you can get his/her details we can get one of the blokes to head out there and sign em up!

Basil · 08/02/2016 at 18:59

is there going to be an online version jocka?

jockreynolds · 08/02/2016 at 20:32

Gday there Basil! Sure is mate – team are going balls out to get her ready for round 1. Different concept though – with CoachKings we're talking free to play down the pub. The online version we're calling something different.. still up for debate. In the online version you'll pay to enter and take your share of the prize pool if you do well.

Would love your input on the name – we're giving away 2 free tickets to invite only CoachKings launch to whoever nails it! https://www.facebook.com/CoachKingsDFS/posts/2179

hedski · 08/02/2016 at 23:06

Jock mate is this a seperate entity from moneyball or same crew? Couldn’t give a shit had a crack last year was ok seems eerily similar.
      For what its worth I’d call it “GutzyCoachWooHoo” or something else stupid.

Anthony 'Braveheart' Cohen · 08/02/2016 at 19:31

Jock mate, any Melbourne CBD pubs signed up? Can’t think of anything better than a few cold beers after work & beating my mates in Fantasy Football.

CoachKings is an unbelievable idea mate!!

jockreynolds · 08/02/2016 at 20:34

Anthony you're a good egg mate. Expect more than a few pubs in Melbourne CBD to be CoachKing ready Round 1 – no drama's there!

Supercoach Central · 08/02/2016 at 21:40

Any in Richmond Jock?

jockreynolds · 08/02/2016 at 22:01

A few pubs in Richmond very keen already – Sporting Globe …. plenty of others – will go off like a cracker in these places in the season opener!

Sam · 08/02/2016 at 21:52

Planning on having any Geelong venues Jock?

jockreynolds · 08/02/2016 at 22:05

G'day Sam. Just hit a few pubs down there this week – will hit a few more in the next week or so.
    I might see you down there for that ripping Round 1 clash on the Monday – Cats v Hawks … a corker of a CoachKings clash!!
    Cheers mate

Zane · 09/02/2016 at 09:53

What places in Geelong you looking at jock anything I can do for you up this way?

Zane · 08/02/2016 at 22:05

Beat me to it was just about to ask about gtown hopefully sporting globe or grovedale pub

THE SALTSHAKER · 12/02/2016 at 11:17

yeah another from gtown jock, theres a sporting globe in geelong was 5m away from benny graham/cam mooney at superbowl…went there monday as was nephews bday. I said "go get a pic" he was gonna wait till 1/2 time but benny had to go to richmond sporting globe for second half….got a few lads could make a day of it. Also try The Peninsula & Buckleys, got a few lads i can rope in from the cricket club that frequent those venues

wombatsfc · 08/02/2016 at 22:35

Hi Jock, I love the Coachkings in venue concept mate and reckon it should be a success.
Please don't take the following as criticism it's a professional observation that could help you.
One of the greatest things about coachkings is the FREE element yet I don't see the word Free anywhere on the coachkings website.

As a non gambler I didn't register at coachkings because the page had the appearance of a gambling site trawling for my details with the promise of 'more information' as my reward, and possibly a lifetime of spam. I suspect that a lot of others did the same as me. Put the coachkings information that you've provided here on your web page, before you ask users to register, it's only courtesy.

Good luck with it mate I think the in venue should do exceptionally well in country vic.

jockreynolds · 08/02/2016 at 22:44

Great feedback Wombats! Thanks very much indeed. Interesting you bought that up, we had another question above about the free to play situation (and whether you need to pay to play). Will definitely have a look at making that one of the big clinchers – I think you're spot on

John · 08/02/2016 at 23:13

Any pubs on board down Mornington Peninsula way Jocko??

jockreynolds · 08/02/2016 at 23:20

Don't have my book with my but I know a few are about to sign … The Tanti & Dava should get on board. Waiting to hear from a few of the other big ones on Nepean HWY. Will be putting a list up pretty soon mate.

John · 08/02/2016 at 23:26

Thanks champ

Nicko · 08/02/2016 at 23:24

How about CouchKings for the online version?

Zane · 09/02/2016 at 09:42

jockreynolds · 09/02/2016 at 10:30

Mate – if you could put up a list of venues around Geelong that you think CoachKings will go off that would be great.

Just having a chat in here with the boys – working on a venue spotters incentive – any ideas??

What about if blokes like you approach a venue and if they sound keen, you pass on details, we follow up … if they get on board then you get yourself a night on the fizz with us fellas??

Thoughts community?

Zane · 09/02/2016 at 20:41

No need for incentive here, be happy to help out considering how much effort you guys put in for us. But still wouldn’t say no to knocking a few back with you legends.
      As far as what places in Geelong would work best I would say grovedale hotel on torquay rd, the sporting globe on ryrie str in town and the cremorne hotel on pakington str newton would be my top three the grovedale and cremorne both large establishments with tabs as well.
      I will do some do some more research and will send you a better list soon mate

jockreynolds · 10/02/2016 at 09:07

Superb Zane – we're hitting Geelong on Monday – Sporting Globe is looking good – with a bit of luck all those others will jump aboard the CoachKings train too. Thanks very much. At the very least I'll be shouting you a few beers when we cross paths my friend.

Johnny · 10/02/2016 at 09:55

Mate – if you guys could get this in to a place called the shell club in corio me and the boys would be all over it. Good footy crew down there jock mate. Come down and be me a beer ya legend!! Haha

Zane · 10/02/2016 at 21:02

The pleasure would be all mine hopefully on your wirl wind journey to the top our paths cross and a brew had, best of luck mate

Steeeve · 09/02/2016 at 11:25

Hi Jock, just wondering what the pubs will actually need to be able to host CoachKings? They pay to host it, and obviously need the game on the telly, but is there a screen installed with Coach Kings info on it etc? Or is it all just on the punters’ phones?

jockreynolds · 09/02/2016 at 11:30

Great question mate! The pub needs Foxtel for the games and ideally one spare screen during the games – we will be giving pubs a device to plug into a screen that will run a dedicated CoachKings venue webpage. On this screen there will be a live in-venue ladder feed. If a pub can't do this then the punters can do it all on their phones. Cheers!

Jimmy · 09/02/2016 at 14:45

Gday Jock, cant bloody wait for this coach kings to start booming! already told all me mates and they’re just as up and about as i am. im out northeast around eltham and wondering if you’ve signed up any pubs round that area, love your work mate, Cheers.

jockreynolds · 10/02/2016 at 14:35

Finding out for you Jimmy – good chance

jockreynolds · 10/02/2016 at 14:43

Gday there Jimmy – if you've got a preferred local the best thing to do is get down there, have a chat to the venue manager. Adam Schneider can then personally go down there and get them signed up for ya.. how's that sound?

Jimmy · 10/02/2016 at 16:32

beautiful mate, cheers

@thecowza · 09/02/2016 at 16:18

Any pubs out the Ringwood way jock?

jockreynolds · 10/02/2016 at 14:35

I'll find out for you cowz – the lads are signing them left right and centre so good chance

jockreynolds · 10/02/2016 at 14:41

Just had a chat to Adam Schneider, he's out on the road signing up pubs. Could you get down to your local and mention to the venue manager? If we can grab the venue manager's details Adam will personally go out and see him/her.

Jackson · 09/02/2016 at 19:52

Coachkings is going to go off Jock! Watch the other codes follow suit….
I recognise you in that video up the top, but tell me is that Lekdog on the right hand side. Or is it an actor sporting a mo very similar to the Lek?

jockreynolds · 10/02/2016 at 14:33

It's the great LekDog himself Jacko!

jimmydowland · 09/02/2016 at 21:13

jocky boy! 18 in a couple of months mate!!! any chance of the burvale hotel, blackburn hotel or the notting hill hotel aka the not?!

cheers mateee!

jockreynolds · 10/02/2016 at 09:05

G'day Jimmy! We have our own Jimmy going down to The Nott today …. bloody top pub that mate – have they still got chooks roaming the beer garden? Love it! Cheers mate.

jimmydowland · 10/02/2016 at 09:25

you bloody bewdy mate, music to my ears. catch up for a pot at the nott mate!!! grouse pub

Chicko · 11/02/2016 at 08:47

Jock old mate, I suspect you can see my arousal curve from Bonbeach. Have you guys hit up the McKinnon Hotel? I've got a few mates local in the area that I would love to invite out for a beer so I can beat the pants off them! Love your bloody work for this great community mate. You, Higgo and Crouching – just brilliant.

jockreynolds · 11/02/2016 at 16:38

I thought that was the elevator shaft down Highett way mate! My friend – the best thing you can possibly do is get your mates down the McKinnon chatting to the manager asking em if they're having CoachKings. We've got Adam Schneider – we've nicknamed him The Wolf – hunting down pubs and signing them with a fever we've never seen. Tell em Scneids can get down there and tell em more

Chicko · 12/02/2016 at 22:57

Jock old mate, then that is exactly what I shall do! The venue manager won’t have any ears left by the time I’m done.

Rich · 12/02/2016 at 11:41

Hey Jock,

Great concept.
Any pubs out Ringwood/Croydon way signing up to the concept?

Rich

Bucks · 15/02/2016 at 12:11

Just a thought here and I could be way of the mark with my assumption:

I assume your phone's location will determine what Pub you are at to allow you to participate in that Venue's coach kings comp that night. Given the sizable prizes on offer for the venue finals etc, what is to stop someone driving to many pubs, sitting in the car park and entering a different team in each pub's comp on a particular night, without even stepping foot in the venue ?

Paul · 15/02/2016 at 13:11

Any pubs in Ballarat Jock?