POLL: $450K+ Defence selections

Published by Higgo on

Supercoach Defenders 2016

Our proud community,

Many of you will have listened to our audio podcast re: 2016 Defence selection options in season 2016.

It is now time to conduct a poll to determine who the wider Jock Reynolds Community consider to be the best quality $450K + selections in the Supercoach format of the game.

As discussed in the aforementioned podcast – this season we anticipate HIGH variation in starting backlines this season. I feel that the successful identification of VALUE defenders holds the KEY to success this year.

You may select up to four options in the list below.

Best of luck. I encourage you to justify your selections in the commenting subsystem below. I look forward to taking part in what I anticipate to be a robust discussion.

Peter Higginbotham.

Which of these $450K+ DEF options will you select this season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Ranger · 05/02/2016 at 14:23

Love ya work Higgo.
Structurally I'm looking for 3 x keepers, 1 x midprice gamble and 4 x rookies in defence so at the moment I've got McV, Bartel and KK.
Aish is in place as my mid proce gamble as the kid can definitely play and he has the DPP.
I think Bartel and KK are locks, McV may get the boot at that price.

Then again nothing is set in stone yet, not even that structure.

The Dreamers · 05/02/2016 at 15:10

you need shaw buddy!

The Ranger · 05/02/2016 at 15:24

I'm sure he'll be top six by the end of the season but he's just too pricey for me to put him in from the start, I can't bring myself to spend 600K on a defender.
      I'll be aiming to upgrade to him at some point, hopefully for 50 – 100k less!

holty · 05/02/2016 at 17:37

im with dreamers. Shaw is a must. yes he will drop in price but he is like goldy in his position. They are by far the best in their position and you know if you pick them, they are keepers who will reward you all season long.

kkk · 05/02/2016 at 21:48

if your getting goldstein you are high

SCaddict · 05/02/2016 at 18:25

Yes I'll be Shawless to start the season too so you won't be the lone Ranger there ha ha.

LuskinStar · 06/02/2016 at 20:39

If you want to gamble i wouldnt pick Aish. I think he will be in most teams so there isnt a lot of upside. I started out with the same approachbut in the end decided on an extra rookie on field a POD i like.

The Ranger · 09/02/2016 at 16:23

I mean gamble as in he's not def going to score well

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 14:28

Gday higgo looking at same structure as the ranger I have shaw gibbo kk and smith atm

Kahly · 05/02/2016 at 14:30

Excellent discussion here Peter, I am inclined to agree a little with Lekdog here and suggest that Bartel offers some value at $470k. Interrupted season last year and i believe he more than Selwood could get off the chain with the arrival of Danger this season. I think he can average 95 – 100 and at 470k i'm willing to slot him in as D2 next to either Shaw, Boyd or McVeigh with a very watchful eye of B Smith and Yeo. I might even slot him into D1….interested in peoples thoughts here, i think defence is where we'll sort out the men from the boys this year

@chris_troppo · 05/02/2016 at 14:39

to much money and value to be made this year, in my opinion shaw, mcVeigh and boyd are to expensive already, lock bartel in as D1 and produce lots of cash

Pete · 05/02/2016 at 14:54

Wont be touching Bartel, I am shiat scared that he will be rested this year due to the Rotation cap and no sub meaning they are playing more.

Stirlsy · 05/02/2016 at 15:39

Bartel is a lock for me, not to worried about him getting rested that's what yr bench is for… Shaw is overs but I keep coming back to him he will be D1 or D2 at seasons end so ill be paying the overs and set and forget him, look at it this way the most I see Shaw dropping to is 540k early in the season but will you have the cash to snap him up around Rnd 5 or 6 for that??? After that he will start to rise again to 560 580k and be sitting there or higher for rest of season. I'd prefer to fix the Mids up first to get a keeper in there after the first lot of cows are fat, hopefully iv got 3 keepers in the back six with a small step to 4 and 5 around the byes iv spent plenty on my backline and hope it pays off.

Derek · 05/02/2016 at 17:51

there is actually 4 on the bench this year, not three.

Stirlsy · 05/02/2016 at 15:48

Something I haven't heard or seen mentioned so far is the byes are later this year, How will this effect the Fantasy game this year?

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 16:01

Honestly haven’t looked yet just setting structures up, should be able to swing a few players around a week or 2 before round 1 when I know where they sit. Missing a few teams atm eagles port freo roos. Will come clearer after nab?

@chris_troppo · 05/02/2016 at 14:37

DEFENCE
K. Kolodjashnij – 482,200
E. Yeo – $443,300
D. Rich – $436,100
B. Smith – $415,500
M. Dea -$183,600
M. Brown – $117,300

C. Hanley – $117,300
R. Bonner – $117,300

obviously my rookies will change come the NAB Cup, however i think in the backline there is to much value to be made this year! so in my opinion i'm not starting with the very top backmen to ensure i have a pointscoring midfield and backline to produce lots of cash.

The Ranger · 05/02/2016 at 15:37

I hear ya Chris but that's a whopping great pile of risk you've got there…all of KK, Yeo, Rich and Smith could not perform as we would hope and that's ya backline up the proverbial creek.
    Other than Rich back in 2012 not one of them has managed to crack an av. of 90 yet.

Value vs Risk. It's a hard nut to crack eh?!

Stirlsy · 05/02/2016 at 16:24

How many keepers do you think you have in that lot Troppo?
    I say 1 at best KK if he can avg an extra 5 pts a game may end up a D3 or 4… Smith if he can return to 2014 form about the same at best, Yeo has ??? all around him but could improve but still a D4 at best and Rich who just really hasn't shone out in SC best avg is 90.8 back in 2012 … I don't want to put you off it but think you need at least 1 player you would be certain to be a topD1 to D3 IMO.
    Best of luck.

vkvkvk · 06/02/2016 at 15:39

I reckon the mid-pricer backline approch has huge merit this year.

How many of last seasons top 10, were top 10 in 2014? Seems to change around a lot year-on-year, so surely some of the likes of KK, Yeo, Rich, B Smith are a good chance to break into top 10 this year.

How certain are you that Shaw (can he repeat lasy year?), Boyd (getting on), McVeigh (injury interrupted pre-season), Rance & McDonald (had a purple patch last year), Enright (long teeth), Laird, Simpson, Murphy will be locks in top 10 again this year?

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't really pick any of these players with confidence in beeing top 10/keepers this year.

Gaveday · 05/02/2016 at 17:45

Get rid of bonner! (Broken record I am)

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 17:48

Heard he’s very highly rated and a chance to play. Is he injured or just crap/not ready?

Seaford Scouse · 05/02/2016 at 21:27

Unlikely to be ready first up hedski played 1 sanfl game last year and a bit in their reserves and u18s, worth watching in nab but plenty of others ahead of him at the moment for the bench

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 22:04

Cheers for the heads up seascouse

Gold Rush · 05/02/2016 at 14:44

Higgo, I just don't get it how you can't pull a chick – fair dinkum I've got mates that have heads like turtles and they do OK.

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 14:53

Ha ha

Pete · 05/02/2016 at 14:55

lmfao here at "heads like turtles"

Loggerhead · 05/02/2016 at 16:02

You're not the prettiest dress in the shop either princess.

Peter · 05/02/2016 at 15:04

How is anyone considering McVeigh? Knee surgery in the off season, only started training a week ago, is 30 years old and priced at 540k? Insane risk of going full malceski. If you're going to have a crack at an older fella its gotta be Bartel.

BKW · 05/02/2016 at 17:27

Agree

“Full Malceski” – like it

Pete · 05/02/2016 at 22:33

Pete, mate, son! My exact thoughts if they want to ruin their backline go right ahead. He has had no pre season and injured and old as dogs balls. No chance at all

MC · 06/02/2016 at 11:04

has averaged over 93 for 8 years. That sort of consistency in a defender is extremely rare. Wouldn't have thought a solid preseason in a player like McVeigh is as crucial as it would be for a younger player.

Hawker_08 · 06/02/2016 at 17:19

Malceski ave 75 in 2012, 90 in 2013 and then went 105 in 2014, then dropped back to 71. McVeigh has ave 93+ since 2008 and has only missed 8 games in those 8 years. He is a lock if he plays NAB and lines up round 1 as he will ave 102-103 and won't miss a game. You have to have a gut who will be consistent in there, I see bartel going 100 if he stays on the park but even he is risky. KK could ave anywhere from 80-100 with the gun mids back and smith could be the same. I have no idea who will finish top 10 in def this year but mark my words, McVeigh will.

Peter · 07/02/2016 at 19:45

Yeah look hes not the worst pick in the world but hes at his max price. Good chance of him getting off to a slow start dropping in price and being a prime upgrade target.

Grahame Lebroy · 05/02/2016 at 15:15

I can't confidently name 1 player who will be in the top 6 defenders at the end of the year. Shaw, Bartel maybe but then its a raffle.

@Seekersupacoach · 05/02/2016 at 18:43

Totally agree, the currently favoured names Bartel, KK, Yeo etc could have ripper seasons OR they could all spud it up. It's a a crapshoot and the right selection could make or break a coaches season

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:22

Shaw for sure

West · 05/02/2016 at 15:24

Malceski is tempting me. Apparently flying through pre-season. Is he too risky at D3?

Kev · 05/02/2016 at 16:28

D4 is the highest I'd go. Fielding 3 rookies in defence is pretty risky

Stirlsy · 05/02/2016 at 17:29

Took him think he has a season left in him, last year he just was never really right he finished with a 108 and a 120 in last 2 games that's telling me he has still got it in him, and having a trouble free preseason this year.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 05/02/2016 at 15:31

Gone lighter in Def loaded up fwd at the moment. One over $450k. Laird. With two exceptions, shaw who is believe is top $ and kk all the rest in my imo are either to inconsistent or getting old so may be rested or injured during the year.

Seaford Scouse · 05/02/2016 at 21:32

Reckon this is the way to go at the moment TH. I'm hoping nab makes things a bit clearer for us down back in regards to the likes of Yeo etc… Too much risk and so much value elsewhere it seems mad to pump a stack of precious cash down there.

Tom · 05/02/2016 at 15:45

KK, Bartel, Rich, Malceski, Hartley, Bonner (brown, broad)

OR

Shaw, KK, Bartel, Dea, Hartley, Bonner (Brown, broad)

Thoughts on which defensive line is better?

Boydo · 05/02/2016 at 15:49

The bottom one for me a couple there you can be confident will be keepers come season end

Optimistic Goat · 05/02/2016 at 16:27

I'm favouring the bottom one by a mile.

phil · 05/02/2016 at 16:45

Dea might not play. Alot of these bomber top ups are fools gold because i think there first priority will be to develop their own list.
    Malceski outscored Shaw 12 months ago and Rich has the potential to average 90 (although more likely in the 80’s) so id say the top one just.

Seaford Scouse · 05/02/2016 at 21:39

Surely they have to be seen to make an effort from the get-go though phil otherwise who's going to go and watch 'em. Come the final third when it's all over yeah sure they'll look to develop there own more but at the start? Can't see it myself, they've blighted our fine game enough already, can't see them wanting to draw any more attention to themselves for the wrong reasons.

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:21

Bottom one for sure. I'm watching rich but would have to improve on early work.

Mac · 05/02/2016 at 16:44

I'm going 4 deep in my midfield, is that 1 short?

Shaw, KK, Bartel, Yeo, Brown, Hipwood, Hibberd, Skinner
Ablett, Pendles, Gray, Rockliff, Libba, O'Meara, Parish, Hopper, Gresham, Keays, Mathieson
Goldstein, Lobbe, Wyatt
Martin, Dahlhaus, Barlow, Petracca, Kerridge, Kennedy, Sumner, Brown

104k in the bank

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 17:21

Was thinking along same lines mac with libba m5 also but im starting to get cold feet on jom and crouch as m6

Kev · 05/02/2016 at 18:55

Imo yes. Watch out for the high priced rookie trap as well, no idea how they’ll go at afl level until you’ve seen them play.

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:19

Watch for Omeara. May not play early maybe swap for Crouch.

Seaford Scouse · 05/02/2016 at 21:43

Can't see Hipwood getting much of a go this year Mac, there's more meat on a serve of chicken feet at Crouchings favourite restaurant!

TJM · 05/02/2016 at 16:46

Apparently Fyfe is playing half this season in the forward line according to Ross Lyon

Stirlsy · 05/02/2016 at 17:34

He lies

West · 05/02/2016 at 17:39

I reckon I might stay away from fyfe this season. 50/50 MID-FWD ross reckons plus the back injury.

Seaford Scouse · 05/02/2016 at 21:47

Agreed! Too many question marks to start with him this year, plenty of other premo options and I'm still getting over having the faith in Baby Jesus at the start of last season, definite no from me unless he tears it up at nab.

Sean's Mob · 05/02/2016 at 16:58

At the moment my defence consists of:

J. Bartel, E. Yeo, D. Rich, B. Smith, N. Malceski, C. Byrne ( M. Brown, M. Brown)

I agree with some of the earlier posts that trying to pick consistent, high scoring defenders is almost impossible. Shaw is a definate upgrade target once his price drops. This frees up cash for Mids/Fwds. Think the scoring averages for defenders will be much lower this year than usual.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 05/02/2016 at 22:08

Yeah typically your mid/fwd is where u get your points and were u make the most from the cows. Most top def except maybe shaw will finish around 90-95 avg so not gonna really spike in price like other lines.

Patch · 05/02/2016 at 17:01

I feel – and I know Lek does as well – that anything over 500K is too much to ask for in defence. So Heath Shaw is definitely out for mine, and the blokes above 500 are all too long in the tooth for me. I'm still waiting for rookies to see how many premiums will be picked, but Bartel and KK are locked in at this point. Beyond that it is still a mystery.

West · 05/02/2016 at 17:18

Same here Patch. KK and Bartel locked in for me. Not sure on Shaw but think he might be worth it. I reckon he just adds a bit of stability in that backline

West · 05/02/2016 at 17:25

What do you think of Malceski?

Patch · 05/02/2016 at 18:58

Not for me at this stage. If I go a mid-pricer back there it will likely be Seedsman, but I'm not sure this early

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:17

Shaw is always set and forget

@t_woof · 05/02/2016 at 22:30

Always? Prior to 2015, Shaw hadn't played a full season since 2007….. Far from a set and forget.

I can't pay 607K for him.

SCaddict · 05/02/2016 at 18:20

Yes $500K is usually my arbitrary cutoff for defence starters as well. Very reluctant to exceed that threshold in all but the most exceptional of circumstances.

Seaford Scouse · 05/02/2016 at 21:54

Same for me Patch although I'm very wary of Bartel at this stage also who's a no for me at moment. Can't wait for nab to come along and show us something, looking at Seedsman also should be either centre wing or half-back which offers points plus value at his price. Defence generally back to being crap again this year, made worse by some of the old warhorses getting incredibly toothy. Enright looks like he could go round again though.

Swans2012 · 05/02/2016 at 22:12

agree although I’ve got laird in as a placeholder pending his performance in nab

Patch · 05/02/2016 at 23:54

The crows are one to watch structurally; Laird, Yaensch, Smith, Seedsman, Hampton could all leap into contention off the half-back/wing role. I'm keeping my options open on them.

ThatDamnRascal · 06/02/2016 at 12:42

I understand the logic behind not spending over 500k on one player in defence but if Shaw is going to, at the very least, be a top 6 defender are you better off saving the trade and not having to scramble to get him in???

Also there's something very Newnesy about KK or is that just me??

NAB will heavily influence a lot of defensive structures with guys like Aish, Rich, Seedsman and Docherty all at that pass or play price.

Cozza · 05/02/2016 at 17:03

This Essendon saga may throw another spanner in the works. If they appeal the decision (which now seems likely after the news today), it seems that they would have the right to seek an injunction on their sentences so they can play this year.

Personally I'm sick of the saga and wish they would just suck it up, but its not my life involved! Don't think I'll be putting too much effort into the top up players until I know for sure that the main list are not playing.

Anyone else know more about whether the main group will play if the decision is appealed?

Stirlsy · 05/02/2016 at 17:41

They would be crazy to play, From what iv been reading appeal's rarely succeed with this mob and if they get an injunction and play then lose, it will stuff up next year as well… But we are talking Essendon so who knows what they will do.

Jimi · 05/02/2016 at 19:37

They're not getting an injunction.

But what if it's halfway through the season and they win…?

Jambo · 05/02/2016 at 22:20

I ain’t a Bomber fan but in my modest opinion, the 34 players should appeal. The judgement, unless I’m mistaken, was dogmatic. The players deserve closure otherwise this issue may ruin their futures.

Shirlock · 06/02/2016 at 07:57

I no bombers fan either but of course they should appeal . That whole process lacked logical sense

fatboyfat7 · 05/02/2016 at 17:03

I'm thinking rolling the dice and going VERY light in by backline.

KK, Yeo, Aish, Collins,Brown, Byrne, Bonner, Hartley….

I know its risky but the freed up cash has allowed me to start a very strong midfield and forward line, areas where traditionally more points are scored. Personally I think there's a bit of value in the forwards this year, notably Franklin, Barlow and Greene (if he gets mid time) and I'm happy to get my value there and upgrade my backs a I go.

I reckon KK and Yeo will increase their output from last year and both be solid T10 by the end of the year. I would like Bartel in there though but willing to take the chance…. for now!

Derek · 05/02/2016 at 18:09

the Bartel selection question has alot of similarities with Luke Hodge last year.

Hodge started the year at $492k after averaging 92Sc in 2014.

He missed a few games last year, had a few below average scores to start with, belted Swallow, missed some more games….but by the second half of the year he was a must have in everyone's team.

Take away Bartel's 5SC in round 3 last year, he averaged 95SC. Starts the year priced at $470k.

Patch · 05/02/2016 at 19:00

You'd need to be very bloody confident in those rookies mate, but I like it.

King of harts · 05/02/2016 at 17:42

717876

Very competitive last year lads fill it up again

The nutcrackers FL is open for entry with 12 spots left

I thibk yeo is a trap, very competitive midfield at wc see him floating around in the Web

Bartel tooth length will be ruling up the turf beware

King of harts · 05/02/2016 at 17:47

Ripping up the turf*

Also laird and Tom Mcdonald on my radar

Derek · 05/02/2016 at 18:14

Everyone knows the secret of good SC scores is to be playing in the mid-field.

We must be looking at defenders who will get genuine mid-field time. I believe Yeo will get some midfild time to start with (S Selwood has gone), and it will be up to his abily if he makes the most of it. If he does he will be great SC selection

King of harts · 06/02/2016 at 09:36

Juat think he will be squeezed out by redden and the likely hood of Duggan getting more games
      Potential is there but I’ll be giving him a mias

Super hart’s have been renamed Derek I think we were right in thick of it together last season

Derek · 05/02/2016 at 17:47

Is the Poll selection for our Starting team?

or is it for who we Will Select this season?

I'm not starting with Shaw, but he will be in my team at some stage of the season!

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 18:08

I voted for shaw cos he’s in my squad now but closer to kick off he can be trimmed for spare $ while sorting final starters if necessary (plan to start him)

Derek · 05/02/2016 at 18:27

All my earlier teams had Shaw. Taking him out has definitely made the task of picking my team easier.

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 18:41

Im fairly happy with him there

Shaw Gibbo KK
      Smith Brown (ess) (rook x 3)

Danger Gaz Rocky
      Parker Adams Libba (rook x 5)

Stef Lobbe (r)

Chops Dahl Toby
      Bird Simpkin (r x 3)

Should be plenty of rookie love and can play around drop heater for $.

Will change as we get closer.
      Cheers

SCaddict · 05/02/2016 at 18:14

Definitely starting selections we're talking about here.

As Higgo said he'll be looking for value options in defence, as will I.

gator59 · 05/02/2016 at 17:57

Thinking of going with this

Shaw KK Bartel B.Reid M.Brown Hartley…M.Brown Bonner

Fyfe Pendles GAJ Rocky Libba B.Crouch Francis Freeman …Ahern Hibberd Greenwood

Tonto Goldstein Mummy Wyatt

Chopsticks Dahl Barlow Bird Kerridge Petracca…. Skinner Tipungwuti

Would like comments please..

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 18:11

Solid. Reid?

gator59 · 05/02/2016 at 18:15

I know he's coming back from injury but worth a try.. I'm willing to give him a go.

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 18:46

I’d whack in seedsman mayes maynard gleeson L.mcdonald aish hampton or z.jones in before reid for that price. He’ll be out again injured in first 4 rounds.

Derek · 05/02/2016 at 18:28

Injury and position worry for Fyfe to start the season, plus you have Barlow. I think you go with only 1 of the Freo boys.

gator59 · 05/02/2016 at 18:38

Downgraded Fyfe to JPK…… Thanks Derek for the heads up

Big G · 05/02/2016 at 18:59

This is the Brownlow medallist we are talking about. Last year not picking him from day one cost me big time.

TJM · 05/02/2016 at 19:08

Yes but last year he wasn't injured before the season started and wasn't priced that high!

Derek · 05/02/2016 at 19:18

he should make it into my team at some stage, along with Priddis, Selwood, Zac Dawson. But looking at a bit of a price drop as a bonus

Derek · 05/02/2016 at 19:21

same as Goldy, Shaw and Delidio. All on radar and whoever drops will be upgraded etc.

wombatsfc · 05/02/2016 at 21:10

I'm curious as to whom everybody will be upgrading into Shaw, Goldy, Danger etc.
                For shaw if it's the D3,4,5 that are dominating here you'll need to add at least 200K of your own cash, same with Goldy if Lobbe bursts a sook valve. Maybe crouch can be turned into Danger but it will take until the byes for those guys to increase enough to make the upgrade without adding 100k cash.
                Paint the fence I hear someone say and that's a good option if we get a mid season debut or you don't care about having a non-playing numpty on the bench.

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 21:18

Lobbe t goldy mate if he busts its a shitta alright

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 20:06

Fyfe def number 3 target after dawson and goldy

TRIGGER HAPPY · 05/02/2016 at 22:12

Careful of the browlowitis, remember abblett last year?

gator59 · 06/02/2016 at 11:13

yeh and priddis had a good year

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:13

Get rid of Reid and it looks strong

gator59 · 05/02/2016 at 22:57

have gone back to my original team………… got rid of reid and will put either L.Mcdonald or Aish in..

Bob · 05/02/2016 at 18:22

Is Parish a must?

Big G · 05/02/2016 at 18:57

No, as a rookie he will average 50-70. You can easily find someone that will average that for $60,000 less. He could be a good pick as someone that is guaranteed to play regular games, which is always a worry for rookies.

Kev · 05/02/2016 at 19:03

I’ve never been keen on high priced rookies. Big investment for a teenager that hasn’t played afl before

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:11

Have him at this stage but will watch the NAB cup for a cheaper option. Very pricey for a kid

TJM · 05/02/2016 at 18:32

I know this is the defence forum, but what's the communities thoughts on Taylor Adams?

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 18:51

Just thrown him in instead of crouch / jom for a gander. Looks goood and finished last year well.

Patch · 05/02/2016 at 19:02

I'm really liking the look of him. I might have 4 blokes at 550K in my initial squad and he'd be one of them.

TJM · 05/02/2016 at 19:08

Hey Patch! Whats your team looking like mate! I'm always interested to see the boys teams!

HOLLA · 05/02/2016 at 19:58

In my team. I think he will explode this year. He s ready to take that next step.

Exotic Limo · 05/02/2016 at 22:37

Will Treloar have anything to say about this though?

shezza · 05/02/2016 at 20:27

Lock.

Jimi · 05/02/2016 at 21:38

Tossing up between Taylor, Wines and possibly Cripps for M5

Seaford Scouse · 05/02/2016 at 22:17

Great pod but lining up alongside peddles, treloar, side bum and even greenwood (who might be relieved of the run with role with macaffer back) has me waiting till nab to make a call, high on the watch list though.

@Seekersupacoach · 05/02/2016 at 19:16

Anyone looking at Rampe or E Wood? On my radar but just not sure

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:08

Ramps on the Radar. Price is pretty good and no Shaw

Kev · 06/02/2016 at 09:47

Both a bit too risky at their current price. Wood's average of 85 last year was the first time he's averaged over 68 in 7 years in the system.

Rampe is Into his 4th year and his average is tracking up. 59 in his debut year, 76 in his second, 84 last year. But his scores are very up and down. 11 scores under that 84 average.

Rampe if you absolutely must. But I wouldn't be confident in getting consistent scores from him

Jimmy · 05/02/2016 at 19:27

lads im looking for that point of difference down back, and got my sights set on matty jaensch, 407k and when firing can bloody do damage, i do understand coming off an acl might be tough, but would love to hear what u fellas reckon

TJM · 05/02/2016 at 19:34

No from me, injury affected and along with Laird, Smith, Seedsman and even Hampton fighting for spots and playing in similar positions, I just don't think he will score as well IMO.

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:07

Agree with TJM not for me.

Derek · 05/02/2016 at 21:53

zac Dawson

PreviouslyOnLost · 05/02/2016 at 19:48

Houli / KK / Yeo

The rest will be rookies. If there is one thing I've learned over the years its that money is best spent in places other than defence.

WormBurner · 05/02/2016 at 19:49

KK is an up and commer I have faith in improving, Rance all Australian defender, 3 pete this year, Macmillan improved his ave. and I like him running off half back, same with Marley Williams, Bucks loves the ball in his hands and should also improve.

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 20:13

Rance an upgrade target for me love him……. not in a stalkerish way mind you.
    I was cleared…ha

HOLLA · 05/02/2016 at 19:55

At this stage Im going:

laird kk roberton docherty dea brown

Thoughts please.

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:05

For me Shaw is a lock and leave. Too many mid prices usually end in no trades

HOLLA · 05/02/2016 at 21:13

Youre saying that d1-d4 wont be top ten defenders then?

coachdamo · 06/02/2016 at 13:52

They could be or they could all miss the top 10! Laird and KK are more likely keepers than Roberton and Docherty.

Shaneo · 05/02/2016 at 20:07

Thoughts on suckling at d4 or 5?

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:03

Choice between Suckling and Seedsman for me. I have Seedsman at this stage but will have a close eye on NAB Cup

Kev · 06/02/2016 at 09:33

I'd go Suckling. TJM pointed out above blokes like Laird, Smith, Hampton are all fighting for the same spots as Seedsman

Dan · 05/02/2016 at 20:13

Shaw is a lock. Those looking to bring him in risk losing their chance, as you never know when a spate of injuries will hit. Best to set and forget.

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 20:14

Missed him last year still kicken myself

wombatsfc · 05/02/2016 at 21:02

Wise words Dan, who cares if he drops 50k over 5 weeks he'll still be scoring 10-20 higher each week than the next best.
    So by starting with him you not only save a trade (worth more than 50k in September) you also get the points advantage.

Derek · 05/02/2016 at 22:11

That logic doesn’t work because with the extra cash saved by not going with Shaw you can easily make up the points elsewhere.

Would let you have Crouch instead of a rookie

TRIGGER HAPPY · 05/02/2016 at 22:17

Spot on. Crouch is currently out but if looks good in the nab will find room for him.

Grahame Lebroy · 05/02/2016 at 22:38

If Shaw is the only 1 u think will finish top 6 in Def scoring surely u pick him for his extra points and take out a little risk back there.

Derek · 05/02/2016 at 23:20

Yes, but later, when I can afford him. He won’t go higher and prob come down. Meanwhile my cash cows fatten

wombatsfc · 05/02/2016 at 23:58

My mistake I didn't know the rule about not starting with crouch at M8 and Shaw at D1

HOLLA · 05/02/2016 at 20:20

Can someone please tell me how to work out what a player is priced to average

HOLLA · 05/02/2016 at 21:24

Any one?

CroMagnon Man · 06/02/2016 at 17:41

roughly = divide price by 5397

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 20:24

Shaw, Houli, Bartel, Seedsman, McGrath, Brown (Ess), Byrne, Hibberd.

Any thoughts??

HOLLA · 05/02/2016 at 21:16

Is houli bartel seedsman going better than kk doc and roberton?

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:36

Not sure about KK but I think Bartel and Houli could be locks at the end of the year. If seedsman is given a change he can gain massive meters and could be a way to score week and make money at the same time. KK could also be a lock but Doc and roberton I don't see consistent good scores.

HOLLA · 05/02/2016 at 22:39

I have to disagree.

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:06

Had Yeo last year but not sure at the price. Mid field of the Eagles is quite deep.

Mikey · 05/02/2016 at 21:28

I mentioned Birchall the other day, and I think he is seriously worth considering. Lake gone means Gibson will likely play more of defensive role. Suckling gone so they may turn to Birch more for attacks. And Mitchell and Hodge may spend more time in defence which perhaps means more midfield time for Birch??
Anyway..that's my thinking.

Bramigan · 05/02/2016 at 21:37

Love Birchall but struggled when the manned him up.

CarlaShiley · 05/02/2016 at 22:06

My defence so far….

? ? ? ? ? ? Bench ? ?

Any advice ?

wombatsfc · 06/02/2016 at 00:00

Don't stress Carla that's just about the most intelligent defence I've seen for this stage of the season

Jackwatt$ · 06/02/2016 at 10:16

Probably the best defence I've seen so far with no glaring weakness. I like how you haven't fallen into the "hype" trap by selecting Shaw or KK who might end up being 2016 versions of Griffen and Newnes. My advice would be to slot Brown instead of the 5th ?, he should be a goer.

Mac · 06/02/2016 at 11:47

Newnes was good last season, so not too sure why your trying to pay him out

Jackwatt$ · 06/02/2016 at 15:40

Starting very slow, so would have been a better upgrading than the 99% that started with. Still wouldn't say he was good, just solid or OK……Also you've replied to someone's thread who's asked for advice and you haven't given her any, just saying….

CarlaShirley · 05/02/2016 at 22:19

Can't see many avg 100+ with this group of defenders maybe 2-3 of them max next 2-3 high 90's then carnage I reckon.
Problem this year is Shaw best by far but over 600k and potentially going to avg less this year
Bartel and McVeigh are just not going to perform the way we want. Think on it guys we are looking for these two blokes for comfort rather than relevance. Both will avg well though 93-98 maybe but will miss more than 3 games each I reckon. Plus the high chance of injury, pulling up stiff in a game.
Then there are the guys with no history to formulate a reason other than us saying potential breakout season. Yeah sure we'll get the right ones……..low chance I reckon.

Grahame Lebroy · 05/02/2016 at 22:55

Totally agree, hopefully the fog clears and pre season tells us something . Whoever nails the right combo back there …….. happy days

Fast Hands · 05/02/2016 at 22:20

I think bench is on the rookie list will need to be upgraded to get off the pine

Tom · 05/02/2016 at 22:37

Danger and Dea

or

O'Meara and Malceski

Dea/Malceski would be my D4
Also have Gaz, pendles, shiel, rockliff and libba in midfield

@t_woof · 05/02/2016 at 22:54

Brad Crouch and Malceski.

hedski · 05/02/2016 at 23:11

Lock danger in

Bruthaboy · 06/02/2016 at 04:59

Any tips or suggestions would be handy lads!

DEF: YEO, KK, RICH, SMITH, DEA, BONNER /// COLLINS, HARTLEY
MID: GRAY, ROCKLIFF, PARKER, GIBBS, LIBBA, OMEARA, CROUCH KERRIGE/// FREEMAN, JANSEN, KEAYS.
RUCK: GOLDY MARTIN /// COX
DEF: MARTIN, GREENE, ZORKO, HIGGINS, C. CURNOW, BROWN,//// AHERN, PETRECCA

$56, 200 left in the vault,

'Don't Blush Babby' · 06/02/2016 at 09:07

No Gablett ? also I believe Higgins might not average 95 to maintain his price,so I suggest Barlow as he will more will get more time in middle with Fyfe playing more forward – all my opinion Bruthaboy , good luck

CoachDamo · 06/02/2016 at 14:06

Looks good overall – you've gone heavy in the midfield, just keep in mind that midfield rookies are usually the ones generating the most cash through the season.

Keep an eye on your defenders during the NAB Challenge – Yeo, KK, Rich and Smith could all explode this year or they could average 75 points and then you're in trouble. It might depend whether they're getting midfield time, playing loose across half back and defending a man. If anything, I'd consider going from Rich up to someone more reliable.

TJM · 06/02/2016 at 09:54

Would you class KK, Bartel, Smith and Yeo as all keepers?

Kev · 06/02/2016 at 12:19

In a perfect world, TJM! The SC Gods are fickle beasts. Probably only Bartel in my mind, he's got experience and history on his side to rarely put in two bad games in a row. The other 3 are all prone to mini slumps that could see a rage trade or two Sunday nights

Shirlock · 06/02/2016 at 12:42

Not at this stage , like kev Bartel seems best bet. My only worry with him is missing games with injury or rest and not being as high for total points scored

Mac · 06/02/2016 at 09:55

Thoughts on Gunston and Jack Martin?

Kev · 06/02/2016 at 12:10

Not a fan of picking key forwards but you could do worse than Gunston, he's just a bit to up and down for my liking. At 521k I'd rather a mid/fwd. I can't wait to see Martin live up to his hype but until I see some consistent scores from him he's a too risky to select this year

Derek · 06/02/2016 at 13:43

Without Roughie, Gunston will get the key defender.

Rioli will kick more goals without Roughie there.

Derek · 06/02/2016 at 13:55

I’m trying to decide who out of Wingard, Barlow, Zorko or Rioli I have at F2 & F3.

Pick 2?

I’m leaning towards Zorko & Rioli.

Seaford Scouse · 06/02/2016 at 20:50

zorko for sure I recon Derek, toss up me would be between the Chad and Rioli. Freo looking likely to rotate more through the mids this year which could impact Barlows score (potentially Fyfes also) I'm steering clear of the lot until I see structures in nab, even then Ross will through a curve ball in r1.

Stiffy · 06/02/2016 at 11:19

Thoughts on my team please and feedback is much appreciated.

Shaw, KK, Bartel, Yeo, Skinner, Rice, Hartley, Broad
Ablett, Pendles, JPK, Rockliff, Wines, Liberatore, Hopper, Gresham, Keays, Mathieson, Hibberd
Goldstein, Lobbe, Wyatt
Martin, Dahlhaus, Barlow, Petracca, Kennedy, Kerridge, Brown, Sumner

$43k left

Kev · 06/02/2016 at 12:12

Like it Stiffy, looks solid on all lines. That said it looks a cookie cutter team imo, do a bit of research and try to identify a POD or two

MOC · 06/02/2016 at 12:47

Jack Riewoldt as a POD?

Sunny · 06/02/2016 at 12:49

If u could only pick 1 of Teenwolf, Danger or Pendles who would it be?

Derek · 06/02/2016 at 13:51

You need at least 2 at the start and get the other asap.

I locked Pendlebury in and I’m tossing up over which of Fyfe or Danger I start with.

ThatDamnRascal · 06/02/2016 at 14:05

All 3 plus Ablett and Rocky the rest of the side can sort itself out

Tom · 06/02/2016 at 13:55

Is Bartel a lock? Dont think he gets much mid time this year with dangefield playing so not sure. Tooth length too long?

CoachDamo · 06/02/2016 at 18:36

Definitely not a LOCK, but he is in my draft team at the moment. If he doesn't impress in the NAB Challenge or is less than 100% leading up to round one then I might look elsewhere. Wait and see how he's used during the NAB challenge…

Dan · 07/02/2016 at 12:44

Hasn't played much mid for years and still bangs out good scores.

CoachDamo · 06/02/2016 at 14:00

Risky. Too much inconsistency for my liking. Check out his past couple of seasons – he has some great games then throws in 40s, 50s or 60s which is not what you need in a tight league match-up.

@emhoy · 06/02/2016 at 17:17

I got burned last year with my defence and the 450K players looking to go really thin as long as Hampton and Weitering are in best 22 and if they can score me 60-75 points then I would take that and put more money into mids and rucks.
H. Shaw, J. Bartel, C. Hampton, J. Weitering, M. Dea M. Hartley (rookie, rookie)

Dave K · 06/02/2016 at 18:24

The Collins Class Subs?? Quick question for the watch list – which Collins is rated for consideration.
The Samuel Collins(FRE)[DEF) docked at Freo or the Kieran Collins(WBD)[DEF] of the West.

yurkins · 07/02/2016 at 19:48

it appears they both are rated so NAB may be our best guide

LuskinStar · 06/02/2016 at 20:33

At this stage going with Thumper, Bartel and Yeo plus 3 on field rookies. Saving money on the line that produces fewesr points.