Brett Deledio CoachKings Supercoach 2016

Didn’t like the boy.

Didn’t think he was cut from the right cloth. Bit too interested in his own appearance. Too much time down Chapel Street. Not hard enough.

That was a few years after he came on the scene at Richmond. And I’m not afraid to admit to you here today that I was wrong about Brett Deledio. Very bloody wrong.

A lot of you don’t realise Brett rocked up to Caulfield Grammar School after he was drafted by Richmond but only lasted a few days. Instead he studied at the club alongside Richard Tambling. Whether it was drinking from the same cup of wisdom as Richard, or strength drawn from some other higher power we’ll never know – but Brett has certainly established himself as solid citizen in today’s game. And a solid citizen of our proud country.

Let’s assess his fantasy credentials as we move deeper into the 2016 preseason:

2016 Prices: 609K SC, $530K AF, $9.6K CoachKings
2016 Position: FWD
Games last season: 17
Average last season: 112 SC, 95 AF, 120 CK
100+ SC Games last season: 13
Sub 80 SC games last season: 2
SCPrice range last season: $408K – $557K
Missed games last season: 6 – Most early games with an achilles

The case for:

• No doubt in my mind he’ll end up in the top 4 scoring forwards in 2016 in all forms. You’d be paying a premium, but you are absolutely locking in a set and forget proven point scoring monolith.
  • His goal scoring ability will help his CoachKings scoring capacity. Based on the scoring algorithm Higgo is putting together he would have averaged 120 CoachKings points during 2015. That’s significant.

The case against:

• In CoachKings terms, $9.6K is a big spend. And in Richmond games you’d be weighing him up against the likes of Chopsticks Martin up forward ($8.8K with a 110 CoachKings average in 2015). Tough call.
  • Are you paying overs? In Supercoach he’s only spent 8% of his career since 2010 at over the $600K mark. There is a solid argument here for looking at him as an upgrade target when his price drops.. which it will.
  • Looking back over the last 10 years or so he’s been pretty durable. But the last couple of years injury has set in. He’s missed a handful of games in both 2014 and 2015. Tooth length starting to impede him?
  • With Yarran adding to the Richmond mix around the guts and across half back you’d think Deledio will spend the vast majority of his time up forward again this year. That works for Richmond. He’s damaging there. Gets taken out of the game too often when he’s on the ball. While he has proven he can hit the fantasy scoreboard up there, there is some concern of any negative impact that might come from him becoming a more permanent forward.

The verdict:

• Difficult one. We have less DPP FWD/MIDS to play with this year so a solid premium like Deledio looks tempting.
  • However – never a fan of paying overs. Unlikely to start in my long form team – and also might be looking for more value with Chopsticks or other FWDs with my 2 forward selections in CoachKings.

Over to you community – will you cough up the big coin for Deledio this year?

@wheels_1987 · 28/01/2016 at 12:44

Is there room in your SC team for Martin, Lids AND Cotchin?
You shouldn't have more than 2 in your team. Lids tooth length is growing, so i would side with chopsticks.

Is anyone considering Cotchin? could last years elim final burn a fire in his belly that would see him return to his best?

im saying yes and thinking of him as a POD premo

Derek · 28/01/2016 at 12:58

talking about Tiger players….what do you think about Conca $284k DPP. How is he training and is he in the Tigers best 22?

@wheels_1987 · 28/01/2016 at 13:02

Conca is confident that he’s now overcome his injury issues and can produce his best football in 2016.

“I feel in really good nick physically, so I’m pretty sure that all my injuries should be behind me from here on in,” he said.

“I’m looking forward to a massive pre-season and a big season next year.”

thats the latest i could find but if he lines up round 1 i would take him and pay the extra rather than take one of the top 4 draft picks

Bc · 28/01/2016 at 15:40

I’ve got my eyes on cotch averaged 99 last year and can easily get an average over 110 if he bounces back to his best which I expect he will

Derek · 28/01/2016 at 12:48

Nice work Jock.

he would have been one of the first in my team, but i hesitated when i saw his price tag.

last year i kept waiting for his price to drop, but it didn't.

won't be starting with him this year, but a hopeful upgrade

Mallee Boy · 28/01/2016 at 12:53

Locked as F1!

TJM · 28/01/2016 at 13:00

I think him and Martin will score similarly, so for me, I'm starting with Dusty and will look at Deledio as an upgrade target.

Pinidu · 28/01/2016 at 13:06

Jock, in your impeccable views, what is the best team structure in SuperCoach this year? I'm thinking about two Premos in the ruck position so I can set and forget, so how should the rest of my team be structured?

Community, I'd love your thoughts at well.

Thanks

Pinidu · 28/01/2016 at 13:07

* as well

Kev · 28/01/2016 at 13:28

Have a play around with your team mate, don’t lock blokes in at this stage. I’ve been making teams I’m happy with, screenshotting it, then starting again.

As for structures, try guns and rooks over each line, or just with one. Same goes for mid pricers. Mix and match both strategies. There is no correct answer unfortunately

TJM · 28/01/2016 at 13:27

I've gone Goldy and Stefan Martin. Set and Forget. No mid pricers who may get injured or jump pump out average scores. You pay big dollars for good reason.

Grant Lewis · 30/01/2016 at 20:53

Same bye round

Stirlsy · 28/01/2016 at 13:46

Structure is a bit different this year with so many mid priced players that can score around, but you have to be mindful some of them wont come up to scratch after injury so its a risky thing puting to many in.
    Starting with 2 premo rucks has a proven history but Goldy at close to 700k gee its a big ticket.

Derek · 28/01/2016 at 17:19

Last year i started with 5 mid-pricers: Griffen, Sam Mitchell, Bellchambers, Cloke, KK. (rest was Guns & Rookies)

Sammy was a Star, KK was ok, and the other 3 spuds. 1.5 out of 5 is about what you will get with mid-pricers. For every 1 success there are at least 2 spuds.

CroMagnon Man · 28/01/2016 at 14:07

Get on Lobbe at R2. Very rare we've been given a genuine safe mid price option at RUCK;
    – He's not injured.
    – Has undisputed job security.
    – Solo ruck duties.
    – Durable
    – 2014 average of 100.71 from 21 games.

Derek · 28/01/2016 at 17:13

$300k cheaper than Goldy. I you can do alot with the change.

Jimi · 30/01/2016 at 11:58

Unless Port get Jamar

Grant Lewis · 30/01/2016 at 20:54

Absolute lock R2 for me.

Bobby Singh · 28/01/2016 at 14:24

It can vary mate. It won't be as simple as last year where you could put in three pretty solid rookies into your midfield sparing money for premo's as this year, mid-pricers are catching on. Set and Forget is probably the best option especially after last year's heated debated with Bellchambers, who sadly, let us down big time. I'm thinking two premo's in defense, about 4 in the mid, set and forget rucks and 2 in the fwd line (fitting in a third would be very handy). Hope this gave you a broad idea of a reliable team structure.

magpie4ver · 28/01/2016 at 13:08

I'm not touching him to pricey!!!!

MOC · 28/01/2016 at 13:14

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Tony Greene this year?

@wheels_1987 · 28/01/2016 at 13:24

i was watching toby last year with interest. He is a gun, but just not fully loaded. Will be an interesting choice as a POD

MOC · 28/01/2016 at 13:39

I think he’ll improve on last year now treloar is gone and should get more midfield time coz of the new interchange rule

@wheels_1987 · 28/01/2016 at 13:46

good point!!!!

Sarah · 28/01/2016 at 14:15

I'm looking at Devon Smith as well, could be a nice POD and as you say, there is more midfield time up for grabs with Treloar gone.

fatboyfat7 · 28/01/2016 at 16:36

I'm with you Sarah, taking a good hard look at Devon Smith. He's improved each year and now that GWS are coming around he could be an excellent POD.

Sarah · 29/01/2016 at 07:26

Thanks Fatboyfat. I've been having a good look at him, and apart from 6 scores of around 50, the rest of his scoring is pretty good! If he can improve his worst games then he'll jump up the forward rankings. Just had a look at Luke Parkers scores prior to his breakout year, they were very similar with about the same number of poor scores. No guarantees obvioulsy that he'll improve like Parker, but also, why not?! I like him and think this year might be the year he cracks into the top 10 forwards.You gotta take a risk somewhere!

Pete · 28/01/2016 at 20:15

I had Devon last year Sarah and its a brave call as he went in and out of matches alot and had some shockingly low scores. His standard deviation scares me. Just wanted to wary you

Sarah · 29/01/2016 at 07:27

Hi Pete, thanks for the word of caution. Check out my response to Fatboyfat above… you gotta take some risks somewhere to win and D Smith might just be one of mine.

throttlefinger · 28/01/2016 at 21:34

Had Devon last year and he went missing a lot. Mostly due to injuries. Think with the inclusion of Stevie J, he'll be playing more in the mids.

Right now a toss of between he and Toby Greene. The latter has the better scoring potential yet can mentally be taken out the game at times. The former could be a big boon if he's helping out Ward and the boys.

magpie4ver · 28/01/2016 at 23:28

Ive considered Greene but not sure yet???

LEKD0G · 28/01/2016 at 13:46

I've been looking at him very closely

TRIGGER HAPPY · 28/01/2016 at 14:07

Will get more disposals now with treloar gone but that is not his problem has always got enough of the pill but his disposal efficiency is terrible he butchers the ball hence his low scores despite a 23 Avg possessions last year. Clean that up and definitely worth a look. Let’s hope Toby has made this his top priority this pre season

THE SALTSHAKERS · 31/01/2016 at 16:14

yeah thats it Trigga….I wanted him last year as his 2014 came back from susp I think and went nutso, his numbers were sensational, leather poisoning in some games. Didnt quite work last year as Shiel took a major step up. That kid is so fit, and professional I think Shiel will be the dominant GWS mid and until last year I never would have said that. He plays like a robot, not a lot of flair just gets the job done. GWS must be thinking this is the window, most of their guns are all hitting around that 100 games mark now, this year and next will be GWS pay off from all that top talent. If Tony is fit and in on that and as you say cleans up his efficiency the bloke can seriously get some pill

THE SALTSHAKERS · 31/01/2016 at 16:15

*toby

Pinidu · 28/01/2016 at 14:23

He can go big occasionally but has too many quiet games. Discipline might also be an issue.

Danners · 28/01/2016 at 20:08

In my team at the moment, but will keep an eye on the NAB challenge to see where he plays

Kev · 28/01/2016 at 13:21

Bang on Jock, paying overs to start with him but I love the bloke! 7 out of those 13 100+ scores were 130+, when he goes big he goes BIG.

On alert for any achilles news.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 28/01/2016 at 13:27

Paying over $600k for lids is a gamble not one I am willing to take. He may have some big games but can go missing either in action or injury. Not for me I think I will have a stab at chopsticks. Might upgrade later for a fattened rook but fwd line is pretty set.

Pinidu · 28/01/2016 at 14:22

Which premiums have u got in the FWD line?

TRIGGER HAPPY · 28/01/2016 at 15:01

Usual suspects: dusty, Dahl, wingard, barlow and bennell at the moment. But reading bennell is being managed in pre season so will see how he goes but may need to go down to bird and upgrade in back line

Stirlsy · 28/01/2016 at 13:31

On the upgrade target page to start the season.

Cozza · 28/01/2016 at 13:45

Agreed that he is an upgrade target – picked him up last year when he returned and was super happy with his output. Too pricey to start with though.

LEKD0G · 28/01/2016 at 13:48

I feel like I'll play Chopsticks over Deledio in my starting side, Choppers is ready to explode if he can clean up that disposal.

Sarah · 28/01/2016 at 14:16

Agreed Lek. I'll be one of the ones waiting for Lid's price to drop.

MOC · 28/01/2016 at 14:58

Great player but too pricey. Pass until byes.

Dools · 28/01/2016 at 16:02

Brett Delidio, Brett, Brett, Brett.

In a word No. I see to much value in cheaper players, maybe an upgrade target but not for the KrakenKats at $610 K .

Hope he has a great year after I get him at the 525K mark so by round 7 may pick him up but I doubt it. LOL!

Wombatsfc · 28/01/2016 at 16:39

I agree Dools and I'm also keen to see what the new Tigers fwd gameplan does to both his and the nut jobs scores. They have to change something because its obvious that the plan from the last 5 years isn't going to get them past the first week of finals. Also where are they going to play Yarran & Townsend and what effect will this have? If either play fwd Jack will crack the sads as well as them taking points from Nut Job and Lids.
    I have NutJob in my team atmo but it's more just to reserve enough cash to see who fires in NAB.
    I think there's more points to be earned by playing one the many sub 200k fwds instead of martin and and spending the saving turning crouch into Pendle or Fyffe

Dools · 28/01/2016 at 16:57

My assesment also Wombats … Chop stick is also in my team as a cash reserve but may hold if no one sticks up their hand. But I doubt it!

West · 28/01/2016 at 18:16

when picking a mid as a keeper what should we be hoping they'll average for the year?
110 and above?

Phil · 28/01/2016 at 19:53

Yeah roughly speaking West, aim for 115+ though. It does matter what you initially pay for them though, you don't want them going backwards. For example 115 from Fyfe is not great, but from say Joel Selwood you'd be delighted.

TJM · 28/01/2016 at 18:20

I've been thinking, with Port set to rise this year, what's peoples thoughts on Boak as a POD?

Danners · 28/01/2016 at 20:11

Better midfielders around, can't handle the tag too well though

Sarah · 29/01/2016 at 07:35

I'd have Wines or Gray before Boak

John · 28/01/2016 at 19:09

when does supercoach open? Thanks

Kev · 28/01/2016 at 19:19

Tomorrow mate!

poloko48 · 28/01/2016 at 19:48

Hi Community, first crack for this year and have thrown up some curlies to start with – there will be changes (Bombers to add + rookies a bit of a mystery) but for the moment here's my thinking:

DEF: Heater, Laird, McVeigh (MID), Hipwood, Keefe, Byrne, Lee, MBrown (FWD)
MID: Danger, Treloar, Lewis, JPK, Jaeger, Libba, Trengove, Parish, Francis (DEF), Freeman, Sumner (FWD)
RUC: Sauce, Lobbe, Naismith (FWD)
FWD: Dahl (MID), Chad, Roo, KTip (RUC), CCurnow, Menadue (MID), Kerridge (MID), Petracca (MID)

All thoughts, criticisms and plaudits welcome.

TJM · 28/01/2016 at 20:37

Get Ablett and Rockliff in there. They are must haves

poloko48 · 28/01/2016 at 20:48

Not completely sold on these two straight away, I still have injury concerns – like most others I used 4 trades on these two last year and still burnt.

Sarah · 29/01/2016 at 07:39

Ablett to start last year was always a risk, but broken ribs for Rocky was extremely unlucky, as was Ablett injuring his knee. There injury concerns like Selwood who's on a modified pre-season program, and then there's fallen premiums who are cheap because of injuries suffered the year before. You shouldn't let your experience last year put you off two players who are highly likely to finish top 10 in the mids this year. What happened to Rocky and Ablett could just as easily happen to Treloar and Lewis this year (touch wood)!! You haven't let the injury troubles influence you regarding Libba, Jaeger and Trengove! All of whom I'd rate a much bigger risk of re-injuring themselves than Ablett and Rocky.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Scotto · 28/01/2016 at 21:37

McVeigh has only started running this pre-season, so might start slow. Also, apparently JPK didn't play the scratch match last week so watch carefully – Tom Mitchell or Hannebery instead? JPK tends to start slow, comes home strong

I N Pieman · 28/01/2016 at 19:56

No DPP & bloody expensive. He’s Like a one armed man with a knife & folk. So that makes chopsticks a much better option

magpie4ver · 28/01/2016 at 23:37

I N Pieman I agree with you 100%! DPP I would probably lock???

throttlefinger · 29/01/2016 at 00:42

With Dusty you get the same minus the knife. Just a dull fork that works some of the time.

Danners · 28/01/2016 at 20:10

I would like to have Deledio in my team, but he should be available for cheaper when we need to upgrade to a premo. If you have the money, a good starting forward though

Tom · 28/01/2016 at 20:37

Thoughts on Dylan Shiel? Looks ready to become the next uber premium

Bob · 28/01/2016 at 20:38

Any ideas for team names? Players/Commentator names/puns in particular. Have a short list already:

Circle of Fyfe
The farmer wants a Fyfe
50 tattoos of Swan
Spit or Andrew
Sippin Fine Wines
Just Adcock
2 Boyds 1 Cup
Real Steele
Thug Fyfe
Menzel Washignton

poloko48 · 28/01/2016 at 20:46

I Fought Treloar and Treloar Won?

poloko48 · 28/01/2016 at 21:07

Danger Zone
    I Wanna Rockliff You

@randomcliche · 28/01/2016 at 21:54

2 Boyds 1 Cup ROLF!!!!!!

poloko48 · 28/01/2016 at 21:29

Balance wise, what's everyone thinking this year? I've currently got a split of 9 premo / 6 mid pricers (Bartel, Libba, Jaeger, Lobbe, Roo, KTip) / 15 rookies.
Means I'll need minimum 13 trades to full on field premo – with everything going right.
More likely need another 4-5 as I can't see me getting 7 rookies straight swapping to premo lol!
Add another 5-6 for LTI's and that means around 22-24 trades used.
Am I on track with that reasoning?
I'm assuming of course all my initial picks bear fruit!

TRIGGER HAPPY · 28/01/2016 at 21:55

Optimistic with 5-6 LTI’S. I think I had 5-6 in the first 6 rounds! Surely the super coach gods will be kinder this year. 🙂

poloko48 · 28/01/2016 at 23:06

That's what I'm hoping for TH!

throttlefinger · 28/01/2016 at 21:32

If Lids is playing half forward, he is a lock. Consistent and can pick up his game while the rest of the Tigers are adding gel to their locks. Top 5 forward in the end. DPP is a cherry but losing it won't make the sundae any less sweet. Dusty is cheaper but there's a reason for that. With his talent he should be the #1 forward…easily. Just isn't as safe a bet.

The best insurance requires a higher premium. Not going cheap on the F1. Other slots are for that.

magpie4ver · 28/01/2016 at 23:24

Well I think you are crazy!!!!! He is priced way to high……if he had DPP they hes a lock!!!! : )

magpie4ver · 28/01/2016 at 23:26

*then

Take chopsticks over Lids save coin and use it elswhwere

chandanrajdb · 29/01/2016 at 09:29

Guys,

Could someone tell me who is "Chopsticks" that everyone here are talking about……please….

Cheers,
        Raj

magpie4ver · 29/01/2016 at 09:36

Dustin Martin…..chopsticks incident

throttlefinger · 29/01/2016 at 00:01

Don't think so. Those who take Dusty are the nutty ones. Has never averaged over 110. Lids has twice. Far more dependable.

If Lids is playing half forward, will be in the top 5 for sure. Top 3 probably.

If he was a mid without DPP, yes, he wouldn't be worth it. But as a FWD? I mean, do you not have any other DPP options? I do. Think peeps are getting way too focused on DPP. If you have 2 or more in your line, you should be fine.

Glad so many are against Lids and for Dusty. Stats and history are not on your side.

LuskinStar · 28/01/2016 at 22:51

Imo he is likely to average pretty close to what he did last year which means he will finish on a price not to far from his starting price so while i expect a drop at some stage it wont be for long so you are banking on being in a position to grab him at the right time. He might drop at the sametime as Fyfe and Goldy. With players that i definately want i ignore the price. He is one of them.

Westy · 29/01/2016 at 07:20

League set up (995625 "Bring it on")

Grant Lewis · 30/01/2016 at 21:01

Please join up to 130885 – The Cattery.

WithAllDueRespect has re joined your league Bring it On.

Avzmo · 29/01/2016 at 08:41

Probably not the thread for it, but here's my first draft.

J Bartel, B Smith, M Jaensch, N Malceski, M Brown, Z Cordy (M Brown, C Adamson)
S Pendlebury, G Ablett, J Selwood, T Rockliff, T Liberatore, J O'Meara, B Crouch, D Wells (S Kerridge, A Morabito, N Freeman)
T Goldstein, M Lobbe (D Currie)
M Barlow, K Tippett, L Franklin, C Bird, D Menzel, J Anderson (B Kennedy, C Petracca)

I know there's a fair few mid pricer's and the risk associated with taking fallen premos, but I still feel I've minimized the risk with them as much as possible. Thoughts?

Derek · 29/01/2016 at 09:56

there is alot of mid-pricers in your team, maybe too many! the good part is you only have 3 on-field rookies but it leaves you with only 9 or 10 keepers. meaning you will have to use many trades to get to a full premium team. I would be looking at least minimum 11 or 12 season-long keepers to start with.

problem with mid-pricers is that they might not score that well and actually drop in value (or at least not go up). where rookies will almost certainly go up if they play. every year there always seems to be a few gun rookies who score near as well as premiums (at least in the first part of the year before they get tired), i would be jumping on the gun rookies as they emerge, usually in the midfield instead of the mid-pricers you have.

rookies is the best way to build team value.

Minny · 29/01/2016 at 09:30

Hey guys, do you guys know if you can change your name on supercoach?

Mac · 29/01/2016 at 09:39

Supercoach looks so bad this year

Derek · 29/01/2016 at 10:10

What do people think of this strategy, Big spend in Defence to set and forget.

Shaw, McVeigh, Kolodjashnij, Bartel, BSmith, Hibberd (MBrown, Rice)

Fyfe, Pendlebury, Ablett, Rockliff, Liberatore, Petracca, Freeman, Keays (Mathieson, Menegola, Clarke)

NicNat, Lobbe (Wyatt)

DMartin, Wingard, Barlow, Bird, Simpkin, Kerridge (Phillips, Sumner)

Danners · 29/01/2016 at 10:31

Solid team, the rookies I would suppose would change depending on NAB challenge form

TRIGGER HAPPY · 29/01/2016 at 14:06

Hi Derek nice structure. I have a similar but different game plan in that I have gone set and forget in fwd line rather than Def. If Bennell plays Rd 1 like mcveigh for u. Long time to get ready for Rd 1 for those two. Rooks wait and see.

Grant Lewis · 30/01/2016 at 21:03

Derek – Grant here owner of WithAllDueRespect – join my league The Cattery – 130885.

Dean · 29/01/2016 at 21:51

Wb Derek good luck m8. not a bad side however I think you are going in way to heavy in defence. I would spend less in defence, however I think McVeigh will hit his best this year, im strongly thinking of putting him in my midfield.

My first draft is this.

DEF: SIMPSON, SMITH, MALCESKI, B REID, FRANCIS or WHITECROSS, BONNER (COUGHLAN, TIPUNGWUTI)
MID: FYFE, GAJ, SLOAN, ROCKLIFF, McVEIGH, LIBBA, O’MEARA, GRESHAM (KERRIDGE, JANSEN, PETRACCA)
RUCK: GOLDY, NAITANUI (NYUON)
FORWARD: DAHLHAUS, BARLOW, MOTLOP, ANDERSON, COCKATOO, BROWN (AHEM, KOMMER