Jimmy Bartel Daily Fantasy Verdict

I’m going to be honest with you community; I’ve gone through every piece of literature written about James Bartel and his impressive football career over the last week. I’ve read articles written by Jock from four years ago, I’ve read analysis from community members, I’ve read Dex Files, I’ve read my own articles, I’ve watched videos, hell I’ve even read articles about a house he sold once! The common element in all of these pieces of media is this; he’s a good bloke and an even better fantasy football selection.

Now I know that I always go for the old blokes when it comes to fantasy footy, but why wouldn’t I? Players like Corey Enright, Bob Murphy, Boomer Harvey and Nick Riewoldt have all been consistent performers over the years, guys that you can lock in and not really worry about again, they’re old but get the job done. Jimmy Bartel tops this list, he tops this list when it comes to consistency and he tops this list when it comes to fantasy averages.

2016 Prices: $470K SC, $494K AF, $7.7K CoachKings
2016 Position: DEF/MID
Games last season: 11
Average last season: 87.2 SC, 89.2 AF, 96 CK
100+ SC Games last season: 5
Sub 80 SC games last season: 3
SCPrice range last season: $430K – $549K
Missed games last season: 11

I’m not dumb, I can hear you all saying “Bartel was rubbish last year, too old, you’re insane, too pricey, you have a bad moustache etc.” but let me respond with this, Bartel still averaged 87.2 Supercoach points and 89.2 AFL Fantasy points in what many would consider to be a terrible year.

The reason he has the putrid smell of a disappointing 2015 campaign is because we are so used to him playing every week and playing well. Yes it’s true he missed half the season and yes it’s true that he’s very, very long in the tooth but in typical Lekdog fashion, prepare to have some numbers thrown at you.

In the Single J Top 10 Countdown Jock Reynolds declared this man the new Corey Enright; I think he’s always been a Corey Enright type and here’s why…

Jimmy Bartel Supercoach 2016

2005 was Bartel’s lowest averaging year on record (outside of 2015) averaging 96.4 Supercoach points. Guess what? That means he had a DECADE of averaging higher than 96.4. In fact in the last eleven seasons Bartel has an average of 104.5 Supercoach points and 20 games per season (that’s including his 11 games in 2015), he is consistency incarnate. I’ll say this about his 2015 season just to give him a fair shake of the sauce bottle, if we remove his round 3 Supercoach score of 5 from the stats sheet his average jumps to an impressive 95.4 for the year.

I’m no fool, Bartel is past his prime but my rule is defenders need to be cheaper than $500K and average more than 90, Bartel has already achieved one of those requirements and should do the other.

The case for:

• I love my consistent players and Bartel is one of those. Should excel off halfback this year with stints through the midfield.
  • Geelong has an improved list this year and additions like Dangerfield and Henderson should compliment Bartel’s play style.
  • Age is just a number baby, he’s done it before and there’s no reason to think he can’t do it again despite being almost 33 years old.
  • At $470K Bartel is priced to average around 87 Supercoach points, if we look at his non-injury affected average of 95.4 in 2015, there is actually scope for Bartel to increase in value slightly.

The case against:

• Number of games. There are concerns that Bartel will be rested against weaker teams. I personally see Enright being rested before Bartel and I don’t think he’ll want to be rested if he’s playing well with the new boys.
  • Won’t set the world on fire. Bartel won’t be setting any new records, whilst he is still capable of racking them up (41 possesions against north Melbourne in 2015) he isn’t going to break out like an Elliot Yeo or Kade Kolodjashnij might.
  • Other options. There are a fair few cheaper options that might outscore or at least equal what Jimmy Bartel will produce in 2016. Yeo, KK, Smith, Malceski are all examples of players who will cost less and potentially score more. By selecting Bartel you are paying an insurance premium of around $20K.

The Verdict

• CoachKings – Should be a midpricer and if he’s gelling with the new Geelong structure then I think he’s a very safe option.
  • Supercoach/AFL Fantasy – I love the older blokes, especially when they are consistent. Now if I’m being offered a player who effectively averaged 95 in 2015, has Midfield and Defensive eligibility and has been one of the most consistent fantasy footballers for over a decade all for a discounted price of $470K, I’m taking him to the bank every time in Supercoach. For AFL Fantasy he’s actually too expensive for me, a definite upgrade target after his bye.

Over to you – will you select old man Bartel in your 2016 fantasy teams?

Tulendeena · 26/01/2016 at 17:15

Was concerned about being rested with the old blokes, but seeing his consistency over the last decade and Luke Hodge's success last year…

D1 Lock for me, rest of the backline is looking tricky however

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 17:52

Very similar thoughts here mate, love the positive look at things!

SCaddict · 26/01/2016 at 17:26

Lockety Lock LOCK!

A likely top 8 defender at a handy discount.

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 17:52

Addict you are a very smart human.

How Many Sleeps!? · 26/01/2016 at 17:40

Footy is life.

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 17:53

Couldn't agree more mate

Phil · 26/01/2016 at 17:43

I've already lost the key…

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 17:53

One of the easier selections I would have thought Phil haha

Dools · 26/01/2016 at 17:50

He is an auto pick for defence , no fear of being rested imo either. He is a general across 3 lines no rest for him this is Geelongs chance to win a permiership with the mass influx of players over 2 years and mass retirement of the old and bolds (Forced or otherwise)

And the changed sub rule also suits Jimmy , so He is an auto pick for me and the Fridge in the KrakenKats!

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 17:56

I think we can all rest easy with this man in our backlines, the type of player we all needed in 2015 in defence!

Only thing more consistent than this bloke is the Fridge!

Dools · 26/01/2016 at 18:18

Fridge has grown several inches in Diameter Lol . Thanks Lek i can get anotner 6 pack in there now Whoop whoop! ” To the Fridge!! ”
      HAPPY STRAYA DAY !

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 18:24

Fridge must have put in a big preseason, happy straya day to you too mate

TRIGGER HAPPY · 26/01/2016 at 18:28

The 3 B’s. Beer, beaches and BBQ! Only way to celebrate what makes us great!

TRIGGER HAPPY · 26/01/2016 at 18:07

GR8 player but my strategy this year is the next generation. The new breed.

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 18:12

I respect a man with a strategy

TRIGGER HAPPY · 26/01/2016 at 18:21

Thanks lek. Looks like we will have vastly different teams based on our strategy but the two keys to SC remain the same. Do your research and back your gut. I’m with you in not spending over $500k in def.

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 18:23

Yeah I agree, don't let anyone else make your decisions mate!

@lewiswgrant · 26/01/2016 at 18:08

Cats man and its sad to say but have to say no – was ordinary last year disposal and marking let him down and I even had him retired at years end. Still think Stevie J should have been kept for Jimmy.

I'm going SHAW, SMITH, MALCESKI and SEEDSMAN as D1-D4.

BONNER, BROAD, HARTLEY, McDONALD – TEPENYAKI (or similiar) as my rookies.

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 18:14

I like the big spend on Shaw, Smith and Malceski will SURELY give us something this year.
    Seedsman is an interesting one, is he in the best 22?

Steele22 · 30/01/2016 at 22:35

Seedsman is their best 22 for sure. seedsman will start at half back, allowing brodie smith to push into the midfield.

Cyrils delicious · 26/01/2016 at 18:54

I think Jimmy is an absolute lock in defence, the question I have is should we select Shaw? He was super consist last year, and pumped out some quality scores, but with his big price tag is he worth it? Is our money spent better elsewhere? I’m leaning towards selecting him. Cheers

SCaddict · 26/01/2016 at 19:05

Don't think he's a bad selection and he'll probably have another super productive season but I struggle to pay more than $500K for a defender let alone $600K plus.

Just would rather spend that sort of coin on another line but that's more a personal philosophy than anything.

Derek · 26/01/2016 at 19:53

Any defender who will score 100+ is welcome in my team, not matter the cost.

My first draft team I started with defence and went Shaw, McVeigh, Bartel. Lock. Lock. Lock.

Liam · 26/01/2016 at 20:17

You have to lock Shaw in. Pay the price, he's going to be a top 3 defender, guaranteed.

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 22:33

I don't have him locked in yet, might have to sacrifice a premo in the midfield for him, play an extra rookie…

Liam · 26/01/2016 at 23:04

I think you're better off, you don't want to have lots of 50/50s. You want to lock in the guns from day dot, the ones who are a sure fire top 10 in their position.

Jimi · 29/01/2016 at 15:22

Although he's expensive he actually finished 2015 with a price of $604k so he hasn't copped a huge pre-season price rise like many other players do. He also hovered around the 600k mark for a lot of 2015. I don't see his average dropping dramatically this year so I think his price, although high, is quite fair. Season keeper, locking him in.

Kev · 26/01/2016 at 19:08

Solid argument for his inclusion Lekdog, love your work. I’m a bit on the fence at the moment, reckon his price will win me over though. Defence is a notoriously fickle beast and Jimmy really logs a bad game

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 22:39

Thanks Kev! You're right, defence is always a fickle beast and I think Jimmy's consistent past is enough to get him across the line.

Stirlsy · 26/01/2016 at 19:41

Finished last season with a 125, walked up to me and said im going around again. I looked at the price tag and said pick a spot, he went str8 to D1 and hasn't moved since and I expect he wont move from my def all year.
Age is just a number and numbers are Jimmy's second name.

Dools · 26/01/2016 at 19:54

I like it , alot Stirley have him D 3 atm may even slip to 4 , but he is a starter in the KrakenKats . Lock! Nuff said

Dools · 26/01/2016 at 19:58

Bloody hell sorry mate , Spell check is a wank3r . Stirlsy my apologies

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 22:39

You just brought a bloody tear to my eye mate :')

Alex · 26/01/2016 at 19:54

Love your work Legdog, happy Australia day, l am picking all the oldies, Shaw, Mc Veigh, Bartal and Malceski, looking forward to another supercoach season, cheers

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 22:40

Cheers Alex, love people who back the old blokes.

LuskinStar · 26/01/2016 at 21:34

He is certainly under consideration by me.but i am keen to go with 12 keepers that i think provide the best value regardless of position rather than a few on each line and not sure if i will be able to fit him in on that basis.

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 22:40

Fair enough Luskin, keep coming back to our articles and let me know who you'll be locking in!

throttlefinger · 26/01/2016 at 21:46

5 star assessment, L-dawg. Why you are one of the few whose SC powers can touch the hem of the SC gods.

Been dickering back and forth with Shaw and McVeigh. Both are going to do well but have a feeling not to warrant their initial price tag. Also, like you I like going cheaper in the backline as it is the least predictable. But Bartel could be the gold. That Cats team suffered from top to bottom last year. With Danger in the fold and making some cuts will breath new life into the team

The injury concern is the only thing locking me in. More greys = more naggers. Again, brilliant review.

LEKD0G · 26/01/2016 at 22:42

Ah Throttle, you always now how to brighten my day with your kind words. There is a slight injury concern but hey history says Jimmy will play 20 games, McVeigh will certainly drop in price and when he does he'll be welcomed to the Puppies.

wombatsfc · 26/01/2016 at 23:16

Hiya Throttle how much snow out front mate?
    I know that you've already welded JB into into your backline and I share your conundrum on heater and McV.
    Heaters $ are my concern as he might have his bad games early equally as much as he might have them late whereas McV doesn't usually have real stinkers although, the number of grey hairs is almost an issue.
    Version 212 of my backline is McVeigh, Bartell, Yeo, Smith, Brown, Byrne + a couple of bombers smokies on the pine.
    I'm thinking of ditching yeo and 1 bench for McKenzie and Simon the 'un-likeable' White. Depends on what that hawthorn bloke does with whitey in NAB.

Do you already have enright locked?
    These articles are SC 101 compared to what was once available here.

throttlefinger · 27/01/2016 at 00:08

Hey Wombats. Got about 28 inches of snow on Saturday. Many don't like to shovel their sidewalk (actual law to do so) so the snow boots have been getting quite a work out the last couple days.

Not locked in Enright. Like him Right now, after this stellar writeup, I have McVeigh/Bartel, B. Smith, Malceski, Luke McD (boy screams talent and just had the 2nd year shots), Byrne and 3 other rookies (2 will probably be Bombers as well. Do you mean M. Brown from the Eagles? He's in the mix as well. Shall see.

Your insights, especially about your Blues, will be significant.

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 00:44

Throttlefinger do you mind if I ask are you American???

throttlefinger · 27/01/2016 at 00:49

Ha. Yes, I am Brendan. Living in NYC.

THE SALTSHAKERS · 31/01/2016 at 18:11

hey throts glad to see your still alive, obviously you took the treloar news better than I expected. Go Pies.

Yeah my American buddies from Washington/Oregon have me on the Seattle Seahawks where they at? They did have a good team a couple of year ago, is it in rebuild, they lost players, be gone for another 20 years or still in the window relevant?

throttlefinger · 31/01/2016 at 22:33

Hey Salty, how you been?

Once you've gone through the LeBron leaving, you can deal with anything else. Wasn't happen when Adams left either. But it's a business so they should go where they want and are paid what they want.

Seattle made it to the playoffs. They just need a couple players and they'll be fine. Browns haven't been to the Super Bowl in my lifetime…now THAT'S a lot of waiting. Hell, GWS might make it to a GF before the Browns hit the big game!

wombatsfc · 27/01/2016 at 09:40

Nah the eagles Brown is an SC numpty.
        Blue newbie/ish to watch for income generation and points – Byrne ( apparently he's embarrassed by what the Irish have done in AFL so far!), super agro draftee D. Cunningham, Clem the cruncher Smith, The Tractor for $ and points ruck POD and, depending on his role White.
        Obviously the crippler is a lock at M5 for anybody who's serious about the game.

With snow like you've had recently I understand why my Westchester county friends always had the snow plow driver at the top of the Xmas present list.

I see that Kerridge is in a lot of teams and I'm sure that he'll star for the Bullants/Nthn Blues. Sadly for Sam scrotal deficiency isn't cured by switching to a lesser team.

throttlefinger · 27/01/2016 at 09:51

Ah, can always count on you for the lively Blues report.

Cripps is a definite on my team. Feel he'll go to the next level.

Clem is a maybe given how he looks in NAB. Cunningham as well who seems intent on making an impact early.

Ha. I have Kerridge. Could turn on to be a fwd version of Jimmy Webster, you say? Hmmm. Shall see. Considering Gregson as my F5. Did well last year for me as a rook. Not the strongest basis but the kid just has a strong fight in him and makes the most of his opportunities. Solid goal kicker. Pricey…much rumination ahead, my friend.

wombatsfc · 27/01/2016 at 16:22

This one is just for you mate.
            Expect A Walker or somebody to retire or be put on the LTI list and this bloke to be upgraded.
            Blues have sold or lost every small forward that they had and only drafted 1.

The VFL's most lethal small forward in 2015, only 13 goals less than the VFL's leading goalkicker.
            Named in the VFL team of the year.
            A Key player in the Williamstown VFL premiership team against the Hawks where his 3 goals were equal highest for the game, most of the game he was on a wing against Whitecross.
            The box hill team also included, Litherland, Spangher, Simpkin, O'Rourke,Grimely, Ceglar and Langford.

Had the best beep test of all VFL players tested at the draft combine, fifth-best time in the 20m sprint test (2.98s) and a top-10 time in the agility test (8.28s).

The williamstown coach who has also coached Box Hill Hawks says that Gallucci is the quickest player he has ever seen. He also said Gallucci had the tools to walk into an AFL club and make an instant impact at the elite level.

throttlefinger · 27/01/2016 at 21:45

HAHA. I saw you mention G-man last week and did a bit of research. Now he's on TF's squad on the Fbench.

THE SALTSHAKERS · 31/01/2016 at 18:04

Shaw overs, had a brilliant year, wait for the price drop, then jump on

throttlefinger · 31/01/2016 at 22:34

Agree. Leaning towards McV, Bartel and either KK (maybe B. Smith but confidence not as high). Lock and load, set and forget.

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 00:55

Hmmm Cool!!! I'm From NY…..I lived in Amittyville, and West Windsor NJ (by Princeton). I lived in Melbourne and now live in Brisbane!!! I saw ur comment last yr and I just saw this one! Surprised to see american in footy……..you are the first Ive met. All my friends back in states make fun of me for watching footy and playing SC! They just don't want to understand all about the NFL!!!! LOve the NFL by the way by far my fav sport but footy is 2nd!!!

Well nice to meet you!!!

Brendan

throttlefinger · 27/01/2016 at 01:53

Fellow New Yorker! Nice to meet you as well, Brendan.

Grew up in Ohio but have been into footy for the last four years. Got into SC after seeing the Pies-Saints epic Grand Final. Was such an amazing game.

Watch more college football than NFL (i.e. Browns fan). Most of my friends don't "get" footy. Same reasons as yours. They see why I like it but just don't have the patience to learn a new sport. Don't even bother explaining the intricacies of SC, which is by far the best fantasy game.

Was actually looking to move to Oz but couldn't get any bites on the job front. Long shot but I tried.

What's your footy team? I'm a GWS guy. Started watching footy when GWS came into the league and didn't want to jump on a bandwagon. Glad I did. Enjoy watching them grow as a team. Might have a chance to make the finals.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/01/2016 at 09:57

Hey throttle surely sheil has gotta pick up some of treloars points and push him into elite this year?

throttlefinger · 27/01/2016 at 10:08

Hey Trigger! You know who I think will go take his game to another level with Treloar gone. Ward. Shiel should do better but Ward seems ready just to take it to the next level. Had a bit of a down year but think turning 25 and being a leader of this team, he's the one I peg for hitting elite before Shiel. But that's my 2 cents.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/01/2016 at 10:53

Interesting. Like it. Always liked ward. About the same $ so will check out gws nab cup and make the call from there. My other option for m4 is Adams or Duncan but Duncan has had a interrupted pre season. Again make a call after nab cup.

throttlefinger · 27/01/2016 at 10:57

Like Duncan too. Considering him for my M5 but pretty set on Cripps for that spot )Rocky is my M4 so far). Like you will see how he goes during NAB.

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 11:50

Hey Throttle, I'm a Buffalo Bills fan and well you might not like this but a Michigan fan. I am a Magpies fan since 1984 when I first came to Melbourne and learned of OZ rules. I am originally from Buffalo NY. If you are a die hard Browns fan which I think you might be??? SORRY!!!!! That franchise is totally screwed up!!!!!! I loved the browns back in the late 80's when Schottenheirmer was the coach and they were good!!!! Ive have friends that live in Loraine OH who I visit and take a ride at good old CEDAR POINT, Sandusky OH.

Just defect to OZ that's what I did lol!! I have dual internship USA and OZ.

Not sure what leagues you will be in, but would love to be in SC league with ya??? Be nice to BS with someone this time around, leagues I join no one ever talks?

Brendan

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 12:08

Oh yeah same situation with the friends on footy and SC!!!!! Yes Pies -Saints was epic!!! CARN THE PIES!!!!!

Pinidu · 27/01/2016 at 20:27

Great choice m8. You didn't need much time to find the best team in the AFL. What're your thoughts about our fortunes this season? I'm excited by the recruiting spree.

throttlefinger · 27/01/2016 at 21:53

Born and bred in Akron so a to the cradle-to-grave Browns fan. Was alive to see the Kardiac Kids (early 80s) and Kozar's team you speak of. Even went to the epic game OT playoff, comeback victory game between the Browns and the Jets (-20 degress at the stadium).

Dude, I lived at Cedar Point in the summer. Blue Streak is still one of my favorite rides. Cyclone at Coney Island is pretty good but the Streak blows 'em away. Heard they got a bunch of ridiculously fast rides now. Might have to take the kids when they get older.

Let's definitely get a league together. My email: [email protected] And don't worry, we talk massive smack in my leagues (led by yours truly).

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 22:35

Yes…..I love Bernie Kosar he was awesome!!!!!! My favorite player was Hanford Dixon I bought his Jersey back in the 80's when I lived in Buffalo….and the Bills were coming of age! Sweet man my email is [email protected]

Is the viper still there??? I haven't been to Cedar Point since 2012.

throttlefinger · 27/01/2016 at 22:46

Think the viper is still there. Haven't been to CP since 1992.

Hanford still drinks for free in C-town. Ozzie was my favorite until he defected to the Ravens. Business decision but didn't like he left. Mike Pruitt and Doug Dieken were my other favs. "Webstar" Slaughter was also great. Could go on and on…

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 22:49

Oh yeah forgot about Webster!!!!! He was a bad ass WR!!!!!!

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 22:50

Yeah all my Cleveland friends hate the Ravens Modell and Ozzie!!!!!!

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 22:39

I just emailed ya

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 22:47

I forgot Eric Metcalf was one of my favorite players to…..I played football with his Cousin Will Metcalf for 6 yrs we were both WRs on the same team……..coolest guys you will ever meet!!!!!

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 22:58

Earnest Bynar

throttlefinger · 27/01/2016 at 23:32

Kevin Mack! Clay Matthews (sons are in the NFL). Middlefield who paired with Dixon in that killer secondary.

Metcalf was in my college years. Loved watching him play.

magpie4ver · 27/01/2016 at 23:57

Oh Yeah that team was good!!!! They should have won a SB!!!

throttlefinger · 28/01/2016 at 00:00

Crushing, Magpie4ver. Simply crushing.

magpie4ver · 28/01/2016 at 00:31

Sucks the Browns have crap management!!!! Browns are my 2nd fav team!!!

throttlefinger · 28/01/2016 at 00:49

Think the problem is they have new owner who is just starting to understand what it takes to win in this league. Think Hue is a great selection as coach. And the management and talent evaluation moves have been unusual but inspired. Think going off the beaten path is best course of action.

Now if we could only get a decent RB and LBs!

magpie4ver · 28/01/2016 at 00:54

Hue is a good selection….the best available!!!!! But he has his work cut out for him!!!!! They need a QB!!!! QB is where it all starts and go from there!

throttlefinger · 28/01/2016 at 01:03

HAHA. Very true. Usually a cursed position at the "new" Browns. Hope they draft one. Doubt it. Will probably get an experienced guy who won't have as high of a learning curve.

We shall see soon how good the new regime is at spotty talent. Glad Johnny Football is gone. Horrible waste of a pick.

magpie4ver · 28/01/2016 at 01:09

He's a BUM!!!! Wouldn't be surprised if hes dead in 5 yrs? He is so arrogant and egotistical! He's a fool!!!!

throttlefinger · 28/01/2016 at 07:52

Great college football players, especially QBs, don't always make great NFL players. He's another you lead to that heap.

magpie4ver · 28/01/2016 at 09:20

Isnt that the truth!!!

magpie4ver · 28/01/2016 at 09:25

Manzell reminds me of Ryan Leaf

throttlefinger · 28/01/2016 at 09:32

Ryan Leaf had a shitload more talent and had a couple strong games. Not the same. But agree, both had rotten craniums.

magpie4ver · 28/01/2016 at 09:45

Yes but I'm talking about attitudes and arrogance and their how both are self centered and think they are above everyone else!!!

Ryna Leaf sitting in prison!!!! Ego got the best of him!

throttlefinger · 28/01/2016 at 09:48

Yep. Very true. And sad truth.

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 00:56

They don't want to understand footy…..all about the NFL. Sorry for poor sentencing typing fast.

Pinidu · 27/01/2016 at 10:09

Who is a better selection at D2, Jarrod McVeigh or Jimmy Bartel? Both experienced and consistent campaigners and fantasy selections. I'd especially like to hear your thoughts Lekdog as you love selecting the older blokes.

LEKD0G · 27/01/2016 at 12:38

Hey brother, I'll be slotting in Bartel over McVeigh initially. Save a few dollars and should have similar output. We probably need two of Shaw, McVeigh and Bartel to begin with. I'll likely move someone out of my midfield to fit Shaw in…

Pinidu · 27/01/2016 at 12:41

Thanks mate. I appreciate the help.

Derek · 27/01/2016 at 12:06

i have both (and Shaw). The lack of premium defenders this year means that you will need to put Shaw, McVeigh, bartel in your team at some stage. You could wait and hope they drop a bit in price, but even then it won't be much and you burn a trade. Put them in now and forget.

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 12:10

Yes Derek I have those as 1-2-3 as well!

@wheels_1987 · 27/01/2016 at 12:08

i can see him sneaking into the 8-10 defenders of the year

based on this i say LOCK now.

Those who wait for after the bye, could be a good stregey in case of injury, however you may miss crucial points

LEKD0G · 27/01/2016 at 12:39

Agree Wheels, history says he won't miss much gametime either

Derek · 27/01/2016 at 12:24

the more i look at Libba, O'Meara & Crouch i believe i need at least two. There is so much value with O'meara at M7 when you compare to Smith/yarran at D4 (O'Meara $100k less than Smith).

only problem then is D4. What is Whitecross's chances of playing for the Hawks this year?

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 12:27

I took Libba and O'meara….I have Malceski @ D4

Derek · 27/01/2016 at 13:20

do you have Libba at M5 or M6?

Brendan · 27/01/2016 at 21:01

I have Libba m5

LEKD0G · 27/01/2016 at 12:41

Whitecross doesn't play is my feeling. Last year I went with three rookies onfield in defence and up forward…might be my plan this year too

Derek · 27/01/2016 at 13:21

3 onfield rookies in defence…i wouldn't be able to sleep at night. last year i went with only 1. (had KK @ D5)

LEKD0G · 27/01/2016 at 13:48

Some times you have to YO before you LO

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/01/2016 at 17:29

Yeah 3 rooks that is some massive plums there. I’m going 2 and have reservations with 2.

throttlefinger · 27/01/2016 at 21:44

Same, Trigger. Luke McD is my D4. A touch plummy but think he has the good and had second year blues.

Sarah · 28/01/2016 at 08:27

Hey Throtts! Only if he gets his attitude right. Heard that was his problem last year more than anything else.

throttlefinger · 28/01/2016 at 08:48

Hey Sarah! How ya been? Read an article focused on him where he basically admitted that and falling short in his second year. Motivate was very high to contribute more and push himself a bit rather than shoot 'tude.

Sarah · 28/01/2016 at 09:13

I've been good. So happy that the guys are back! I missed my supercoach chat! Ready for a big year. Think I played it too safe last year so I'm looking to take a few more risks with my team this year. How's your team coming along?

throttlefinger · 28/01/2016 at 09:20

It's moving along. Only things I've really decided on is going stronger in the mids and lighter in the defs. But that could change. Shall see. Still plenty of time. Last year went into a little too hard preseason and don't think it served me well.

You up for playing in the Tdome again?

Sarah · 28/01/2016 at 09:32

Of course, I'd love to give the Tdome another crack!

LEKD0G · 27/01/2016 at 12:42

Also like the way you're comparing the midfielders to the defenders price-wise. Very smart way of valuing correctly

Derek · 27/01/2016 at 13:19

sounds good, but i still need a reliable player at D4 and probably at D5.

Liam · 27/01/2016 at 15:08

Is it worth dropping Bird for a rookie to upgrade another rookie to Crouch/O'Meara

Swans2012 · 28/01/2016 at 11:58

I may be completely wrong but I’m expecting bird to average 90+ and just about be a keeper f6. With him being a popular pick I think there is more to lose by not selecting him than to gain. I’d find another way….

TRIGGER HAPPY · 27/01/2016 at 17:27

I did the same with luey and JOM. same price think JOM has him covered so spent $ on martin/nic nat and JOM in the middle.

damien · 27/01/2016 at 15:59

Im torn between Bartel, Docherty and Langdon…. Thoughts??

THE SALTSHAKERS · 31/01/2016 at 18:30

Bartel will get his points from possessions in a pretty strong team. He is the guy that manages to sneak out the side or forward at a crucial time. Langdon intercept marks but I dont see him ever being a high possession high scoring defender. Docherty has some serious dash off the half backline, you would think he will improve on that. Was a classy TAC player, great kick, and ball will be down there a lot.

Personally Jimmy has the runs on the board, can play forward, back and is never out of a game. Will go 90s then next game 130. Rarely out of a game of footy. He is my pick. Docherty should be around the same as Bartel. If he was in a better side he would be a great choice. Will be one of the better defenders in the next few years. I just think he is going to be short on support down back and it will be down there a lot.

Langdon, he has been consistent since he came into AFL I cant see him improving on that too much more SC wise.

Jacko · 27/01/2016 at 20:33

Yeah I like him a lot at that price. Might play loose man quite a bit a lot throughout the season. D2 for me at the moment behind fellow old timer Matty Boyd

Sarah · 28/01/2016 at 08:28

Locked Bartel in the moment he hurt his knee and scored a 5 in round 3. Is underpriced, so represents value.

Youngy_ · 28/01/2016 at 10:25