Coming into just his third season with a hefty defensive pricetag, Thumper provides us with a significant selection decision to make.
Thumper’s pre-season has been solid and Eade has openly admitted that he played him out of position at times last year;
“I probably blame myself for that because I played him on a wing — I thought he’d be a perfect winger — but he struggled in the role and his decision-making was down as well. Once we moved him back into defence that got better.”
Thumper averaged 22.3 disposals, 5.6 marks and 6.3 contested possessions per game last year. Of great significance is that he ranked 7th across the AFL last year for rebound50 acts, averaging 4.5 per game. The 20 year old can undoubtedly play!
|2016 Prices:||$451K SC, $450K AF, $8.8K CoachKings|
|Games last season:||22|
|Average last season:||89 SC, 84 AF, 109 CoachKings|
|100+ SC Games last season:||8|
|Sub 80 SC games last season:||6|
|SCPrice range last season:||$368 – $451K|
|Missed games last season:||Nil|
The case for:
- Was a very highly rated junior (in a fantasy sense) and performed very well in his second year even given he was played out of position.
- Offers a safe, “set and forget” defensive option.
- Has proven to be very well suited to the CoachKings format with his rebounding run off half back, marking ability and contested ability being rewarded.
The case against:
- Price tag! Is he currently at his price peak? Fantasy squad selection is about extracting value. Is this fact al0ne too much of a deterrent?
- With a glut of guns returning to the Gold Coast in 2016 (GAJ, Swallow, Prestia, O’Meara) and also with the recruitment of Rosa, will Thumper be forced to play a lesser role across half back?
- I like watching Thumper play! This will prove to be a very subjective selection but for me I am selecting him in all forms in 2016.
Community – is Thumper lining up for you in 2016?