Jock on Essendon's best 22 for fantasy season 2016

Essendon fans – I’m feeling for you.

No doubt about it Community. This Essendon shake-up will shape the way we approach our Fantasy Footy this year. Plenty of rookie options will emerge and perhaps even some mid-range players will step up and shine in the guts.

You know how the saying goes folks – there is no use crying over spilt milk as it passes under the bridge. Let’s pick the positive out of this gut wrenching situation.

Let’s get on with it. Here is my stab at Essendon’s best 22. I reckon half a dozen of these blokes are now fair dinkum relevant. Interested in your thoughts in the comments below community:

B: Baguley, Brown, Francis

HB: Gleeson, Hartley, Dempsey

C: Z. Merrett, Bird, Goddard

HF: Zaharakis, McKernan, J. Simpkin

F: Cooney, Daniher, Kommer

R: Leuenberger, Parish, Fantasia

INT: Laverde, Langford, J. Merrett, Gwilt

Another thing

I called into SEN 1116 this morning to have a bit of a chat to our mate Adam Schneider about the CoachKings In Venue Daily Fantasy revolution. Have a listen here and let us know what you reckon about the CoachKings concept we are set to launch with the team at Full House Group this season:

Jimbo Jones · 14/01/2016 at 16:11

Surely Goddard will be out there to prove a point. Could be a decent selection (if you can get past the 'flog factor').

jockreynolds · 14/01/2016 at 16:16

Agree – although he'll cop attention from all angles.

Jimbo Jones · 14/01/2016 at 16:17

Can he handle it?

jockreynolds · 14/01/2016 at 16:25

Get's too bloody stroppy mate

Skindog · 14/01/2016 at 16:23

I think all their bigger name players will get sat on and won’t have the help they need so won’t score well at all?

jockreynolds · 14/01/2016 at 16:25

I think that's great use of your cortex Skin. My compliments. Will be a very difficult season for their remaining premiums

JROD · 14/01/2016 at 16:25

When picking my starting side I won't be selecting any Essendon players with the thought of them being keepers (too much unknown and risk involved) purely looking from a cash cow or cheap enabler perspective.

gaveday · 14/01/2016 at 16:43

The problem here is that you are missing 12 top up players, Parish and Francis must be locks though.

James · 14/01/2016 at 17:16

Good group of cash cows, if Dempsey can stay fit and has his head on will see a ton of footy down at half back. And unless BJ puts his big boy pants on this season, no premiums/keepers to be seen!

Mark Dempsey · 14/01/2016 at 17:29

Fantasia should be pretty cheap, maybe McKenna the young irishman aswell

Tim Darbyshire · 14/01/2016 at 18:20

Luenenburger I won’t be going anywhere near him. His always a mod price trap. Either spuds it up or gets injured.

Hazey · 14/01/2016 at 18:26

Kommer…wasn't bad in his first year if I remember correctly, then 2 season ruined by injury? Is he rookie priced?

matt · 14/01/2016 at 18:53

TJM · 14/01/2016 at 18:54

Jock who would you suggest picking out of that lot?
The only blokes I will be considering are Parish, Brown, Francis, Bird and Luenberger.

M-Town Ballers · 18/01/2016 at 22:08

Leuy will get so many -1 points for hitouts to disadvantage with so many young kids around him especially as the season goes on
    Brown Hartley kommer and tippa should all make you good money
    Zack Merrett could be a good option if his roll is right

Mac · 14/01/2016 at 18:57

Any chance of having a few rookie cheat sheets or even premium and mid pricer cheat sheets?
Also I think the community would also love a team reveal of you boys just to see what Jock, Higgo, Crouching and the rest of the boys are going to line up with as well as the community posting their current squads as we plan for another hectic season.

Cheers Mac

Kev · 14/01/2016 at 20:16

Don't reckon we'll see cheat sheets until there's some nab cup action

Barron Von Crow · 14/01/2016 at 19:11

I reckon you've nailed it, Jock.

I got my eyes on 2 Bombers in particular, but I won't mention who just yet. Will need to see how the Bombers line up in the pre-season game to see if they're relevant or not. The Brown Bird Burger is certainly an appealing one, though Luey's injury history over the last few years has me thinking I may need to bring a spare pair of pants to the Supercoach party.

Creeker · 14/01/2016 at 21:44

Will be starting Brown, Hartley and Parish. These guys are almost assured of getting games.
Tipungwuti has skills to burn, will see if he gets upgraded from rookie list.
I'm also keen on Yestin Eades, a handy goal sneak. We just have to see how the NAB Challenge pans out.

Liam · 14/01/2016 at 21:58

Now that Paddy Ryder is banned does Lobbe become a valid selection at 389k as number 1 ruck at Port?

TRIGGER HAPPY · 14/01/2016 at 23:12

He is in my team

WombatsFC · 14/01/2016 at 23:18

Good question Liam, if he lasts for the full preseason and plays to the extent of his ability I'll consider him for R1 and start with 4 premo fwds or 6 mid premos.

LEKD0G · 15/01/2016 at 12:51

TRIGGER HAPPY · 14/01/2016 at 23:12

Geez all my plans are being laid bare already! Reckon i will go with 6 bombers at the mo. Parish and francis think will play lots and often, the bird man if going pure mid should score plenty esp if crowly is picked up as their tagger, brown a lock in def as a bench option, the risky one luey but hard to ignore at his price as #1 ruck with his mate nygon on the bench in case luey crumples. Think wallis and tipuwug should also come under consideration.

Gr8 to have u back Jock 2016 was looking bleak, just wouldn’t have been the same. Just put in my first draft into the higginator (love your work) and pretty happy with draft 1 which will no doubt change a 1000 times between now and kick off.

WombatsFC · 14/01/2016 at 23:59

Better put the safety on for a few weeks T H. Just coz they play doesn't mean that they'll score better or make more money than other options. Brown is a certainty for D7/8 or even F8 and you'd be crazy not to consider Luey if he can stand up but there are a lot of options that are a lot cheaper than Parish and Francis that have already proven themselves against full grown men and will have the support of better team mates.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 15/01/2016 at 09:29

Agree at the moment they r in purely based on job security but the nab cup will reveal all and the could form part of the 1000 changes.

WombatsFC · 14/01/2016 at 23:19

Nobody seeing a resurrection of the Coon dog?

TRIGGER HAPPY · 14/01/2016 at 23:21

I think the dog has had his day

WombatsFC · 15/01/2016 at 00:26

Somebody had to start it so here it is. Better put a new page up jock

DEF: Shaw-McVeigh-Bartell-White-McKenzie-Brown-Byrne-Rice
MID:Pendle-God-Bont-Rock-Lib-Jaeger-Bcrouch-Keys-Reid-Adamson-Beech
RUCK:Smartin-Luey-Lowden
FWD:DMartin-RoaldDahl-Roo-Bird-Vardy-Lamb-Petracca-Galluci

40% rookie then 30-30 but Lib,Jaeger and Crouch really make it 40-30-40

Obviously some bench players are just structural at this stage.

In 2015 the wombat burrow was more like a lower intestine than a fortress, almost every trade turned into a steaming hird and off field I was savaged by a black dog to the point of surrender. This year ?

Lebron · 15/01/2016 at 00:37

Looks good as a first draft wombats. Interesting selections of vardy and lamb.

WombatsFC · 15/01/2016 at 10:20

Thanks Lebron, it's almost Australia Day and I needed lamb for the bbq. As it gets closer to round 1 I might replace the lamb with a pie.

TJM · 15/01/2016 at 08:39

Like it wombats, like the Dahlhaus and Riewoldt selection. Vardy is an intriguing one, wether he lines up round one, only time will tell. Spent a lot of money on Heath Shaw, but you have guarenteed yourself those 100+ scores week in week out with him and is also a bit of a POD as not many are selecting him at his hefty price. Good Luck! – TJM

WombatsFC · 15/01/2016 at 10:18

Thanks TJM, I'm sick of waiting for Shaw to drop in price and missing out on 200+ points over 10-weeks due to not starting with him. The other blokes you mentioned usually start really well apart from Vardy who got a change of luck in regards to injury towards the end of LY, this is probably his first proper preseason. If Vardy is fit he will be in a lot of teams come round 1.

Sarah · 15/01/2016 at 09:22

Forgive me Wombats, but who is Roald Dahl? Apart from an author!

Love the selection of Bont! Nice POD.
    I question the Roo selection though… he's bound to start slowing down, but could be a nice POD if he stays strong this year.
    Overall, very nice team and different to ones I've seen so far this year.

Sarah · 15/01/2016 at 09:25

Aaaah, Dahlhaus!!

WombatsFC · 15/01/2016 at 10:13

Thanks Sarah, don't worry about Roo apart from last year when he had serious family issues and injuries he has started every year as a top 10 player after the first 6 rounds and I can't see him going easy this year.
      All my selections are currently based on the player being fully fit and getting a game round 1 Vardy, O'Meara, Crouch and Petracca are 50-50 to meet that criterion at the moment.
      Galluci is a gold kicking dynamo similar to Puopulo and should slot straight in to a fwd line thats lost every goalkicker they had, 102k is lovely.
      I reckon that there are a lot of bargains who could suprise like Mileara, Beech and the young blue irishman who scored at 4ppm during last season but is only 123,900.
      Can't wait for NAB, I might even get foxtel again

northernsoul74 · 15/01/2016 at 10:39

Doggies fan here. I'd be a little wary on the Bont. Doggies seem to have kept it quiet but he's not really training on the track yet after a post season op. Just gym work and was still limping pre xmas.

WombatsFC · 15/01/2016 at 16:24

Thanks Northern I don't trust blokes who can't run, just switched him for Shiel

Lebron · 15/01/2016 at 00:36

Its that time of year again. Id appreciate all thoughts on my 1st draft!
DEF: Mcveigh, Bartell, B. Smith, Rich, Malceski, Francis// Brown, Bonner

MID: Ablett, Pendles, Rockliff, Sloane, Libba, Crouch, J. Anderson, Parish// Kerridge, Lucas, Gore

Ruck: Lobbe, Luenberger// Nyuon

Forward: Bennel, Martin, Franklin, Bird, B. Kennedy, Wells// Petracca, Ahern

Keep in mind this is my first draft and is subject to plenty of changes before round 1. Good to have you back jock

TJM · 15/01/2016 at 08:34

Rucks are the only iffy thing at this stage. If they stay fit long enough to upgrade, thats great, but if they break down you may be in trouble. You have a couple of POD's here with Bennel, Franklin, Sloane which could serve you well. Also like the Daniel Wells selection if he is able to get back on the park. Good luck – TJM

Sarah · 15/01/2016 at 09:24

Hi Lebron, nice team!
    Very strong backline and midfield.
    Just not sure about the rucks… you're leaving yourself a bit vulnerable there in my opinion. Oh well, risk-reward!!

TJM · 15/01/2016 at 08:32

Here's my first squad, it keeps changing but would love some feedback.

DEF: J.McVeigh, E.Yeo, B.Smith, N.Malceski, S.Skinner, R.Bonner, K.Collins, A.Francis
MID: P.Dangerfield, G.Ablett, T.Rockliff, P.Cripps, T.Liberatore, J.O'Meara, C.Oliver, D.Parish, J.Hopper, M.Kennedy, R.Mathieson
RUC: T.Goldstein, S.Martin, L.Lowden
FWD: D.Martin, C.Wingard, M.Barlow, C.Petracca, E.Hipwood, S.Kerridge, B.Kennedy, M.Brown

Feedback much appreciated!

Sarah · 15/01/2016 at 09:28

Nice teamTJM! Good PODs with Wingard and Dangerfield! You've got a few too many expensive rookies for my liking though. History says not all of them will be worth their price tags. Love the rucks. Wish I could afford Goldy this year, but not with the way I've got my team currently structured.

TJM · 15/01/2016 at 09:36

Thanks for the reply Sarah, yeah I'm not sold on all my rookies, I'm looking at getting another premo mid at the moment, thinking along the lines of Wines or even Shiel. I'll have to track pre season closely on rookies as well. There is one more bloke who I would love to squeeze in and that Beams.

TRIGGER HAPPY · 15/01/2016 at 09:34

Agree with Sarah probably don’t need Hopper and Kennedy on the bench at that price. Otherwise looks good. Big $ on the rucks. Set and forget.

Sarah · 15/01/2016 at 09:32

Ok guys, here's the current draft of my team…

Def: Docherty, Bartel, Yeo, B Smith, Wagner, Brown (Morgan, Rice)

Mids: Pendlebury, Ablett, Rockliff, Parker, Wines, Liberatore, B Crouch, Gresham (Cunningham, Keays, Marcon)

Rucks: S Martin, Naitanui (Currie)

Fwds: D Martin, Bennell, Z Merrett, Wells, Kerridge, Petracca (Kommer, Redman)

Would love to squeeze in Sloane or Selwood, and Parker may make way for one of them eventually. We'll see how the NAB games pan out first. As always, rookies will chop and change before round 1.

All comments welcome.

TJM · 15/01/2016 at 09:37

Love it Sarah! Like the selections of Docherty, Wines, Parker, Bennel and Merrett. Few names there which fly under the radar and could prove to be gems! Good luck! – TJM

TRIGGER HAPPY · 15/01/2016 at 09:40

Ah going with good old smithy again I thought about it couldn’t ride that train again. Nicely balanced team
    A couple of queries like all of us at this time of year in wells and crouch but nab cup should tell us more.

WombatsFC · 15/01/2016 at 12:03

Nice team Sarah but I'm not sure that Kommer is actually running yet and I think that there are a couple in front of Kerridge atmo, Clem Smith is the current bolter at Princes Park.
    Docherty Yeo and Smith are interesting. I'm torn on Smith after he burned me last year and I think he's only 1 more head knock away from retiring, but if all goes well he could be a 100+ star. Doch will probably be running through the middle and up front so should score very well definitely needs to be watched during NAB to see where he might play. Personally I think Yeo is only 5 points below his maximum ave so I'd rather gamble on Malceski or Eric the great and pull in some extra cash.
    Mathematical patterns identified that Malceski would ave below 70 last year and the same pattern says he'll go 90+ again this year

TRIGGER HAPPY · 15/01/2016 at 10:08

Here we go Draft 1:

Def: Laird, yeo, Rosa, dureya, Francis, Mullett, hipwood, Wagner

Mid: abs, rocky, treloar, sheil, Duncan, libba, crouch, parish, trengrove, petracca, hibberd

Rucks: lobbe, luey, nyuon

Fwd: Dahl, bennell, wingard, bird, Anderson, Kennedy, brown, kerridge.

Pretty happy rucks are a bit vulnerable. I figure if luey falls over nyuon will step in for him.

Or

Anderson down to Ahern, trengrove to cunningham/keayes, Mullett to rice or similar let’s me go luey to blicavs/sauce.

Sarah · 15/01/2016 at 10:43

Hi Trigger! Love the midfield!
    Word of caution though, I have it on good authority that Mullett has a few players ahead of him before he'll get a gig at North. See how the NAB goes, but you might wanna swap him out.
    How do you think Duncan will go with Danger and Selwood?
    Agree, the rucks are a concern.
    Love the Laird pick!! Love love love him!

TRIGGER HAPPY · 15/01/2016 at 11:02

Thanks for the feedback Sarah.
      didn't know about mullet but now watch the nab north games with interest.
      Being a crows tragic how is otten travelling? if he looks good in nab cup could go down to him?
      I think the arrival of danger at the cats will actually help Duncan and his scoring as I believe he will be fed the ball more.
      He, dureya, and bird are my breakout contenders.
      Picked neale and McDonald last year so hopefully the strike rate continues.

Couldn't squeeze laird into your squad? 🙂 early days I guess.

Rucks we'll see always got option B but gotta cut corners somewhere that's what makes this game so good. Cant afford them all!

Sarah · 15/01/2016 at 14:25

Regarding Otten, the NAB will be the best judge. Haven't heard anything specifically regarding his preseason, but haven't heard anything bad about it either. Also not sure on who is in Pyke's best 22 yet. If he's picked in round 1, get him!

Laird is $90k more than B Smith… with my current squad I don't have that much spare cash unfortunately.

So far I'm going with Z Merrett, Yeo and Docherty as my breakout contenders. Good luck!

WombatsFC · 15/01/2016 at 11:51

Wow Trigger what a unique strategy you'll never be accused of following the pack, to me it looks like 15 PODS and 15 rookies . Well done mate I hope it works for you

TRIGGER HAPPY · 15/01/2016 at 12:18

thanks wombats I'd like to think god and rocky are pods but I'm sure a couple of people will have them in their team 🙂
      yeah went for a different strategy this year as last year followed the pack and lost about 3 games as teams were the same except for one or two and each time the other guys pod scored better. So thought outside the norm/square this time around.

jockreynolds · 15/01/2016 at 13:40

Yep – like the robustness of plum with this team mate. Especially like the Dahlhaus selection – reckon he's in for a pearler this season

TRIGGER HAPPY · 15/01/2016 at 15:21

Thanks Jock sometimes you just have to say WTF let it all hang out and put them on the line!
        Damn glad to have you back was getting worried SC was gonna suffer and slink off into shadows but now with you back at the helm SC can once again thrive and take centre stage under your guidance/tutorage.

Yeah feel Dahl is ready to explode along with Bennell (as long as he stays out of trouble) with sandi tapping it down his throat or getting fed from fyfe, neale, mundy etc.

M-Town Ballers · 18/01/2016 at 22:22

I doubt nyoun will play this year he’s to raw, I think we’ll pick up a top up ruck from vfl, but maybe you could consider GC duo Nicholls and Currie for injury back up, surely Currie plays before brooksby

TRIGGER HAPPY · 19/01/2016 at 08:50

Thanks for the tip. Have upgraded nygon to McKay who by all accounts is doing everything right and let’s face it blues need as many forwards as they can get. Or Wright is another I have my eye on

northernsoul74 · 15/01/2016 at 11:06

First look at it:

Def: McVeigh, M Johnson, B Smith, Suckling, Bonner, M Hibberd (Nth), Collins, M Adams

Mids: Fyfe, Ablett, Sloane, Rockliff, Libba, O'Meara, Hopper, Gresham, Cunningham, Keys, Mathieson

Rucks: Goldstein, Leuenberger, Nyon

Fwd: Deledio, Dahlhaus, Bennell, Wingard, Curnow, Petracca, Kerridge, M Brown

ThatDamnRascal · 15/01/2016 at 11:07

I'll be waiting to see how the dons perform in the NAB. New coach, 12 best 22 players on the side line could suck a lot of people in.
Parish will most likely play the entire season. There's been a question on the tank of Francis so watch him in the NAB.
The top up players will be interesting. Keep an eye out for Dan Coglan. But the real gem out of the lot will be Zach Merrett

Liam · 15/01/2016 at 15:39

Here is my team!!!
DEF: McViegh, Yeo, Smith, Malceski ,Otten, Brown (Bonner, Brynne)

MID: Pendles, GAJ, Rocky, Cripps, Libba, JOM, Crouch, Gresham (Gore, Keays, Petracca)

RUC: Martin, Lobbe (Wyatt)

FWD: Montagna, Martin, Dahlhaus, Bird, Anderson, Kennedy (Kerridge, Kommer)

Rookies might change depending who gets selected for round 1. I think lobbe can average 90 odd until i upgrade him to Goldy after he decreases in price.

Give me your thoughts.

WombatsFC · 15/01/2016 at 16:18

That's a brilliant FWD line Liam but I think you might be a bit light in defense. Otten is a concern, if he's not already broken he will be soon and without Shaw and Bartel you might struggle, maths says that Malceski will have another 90+ year but I might wait for Nab before I consider him again. Like your mids a lot, if they all play to their best you'll only need one onfield upgrade.
    Who is Gresham?

Liam · 15/01/2016 at 18:32

Thanks for the feedback Wombats FC. What would you suggest me to do to strengthen my defence ?
      Gresham is a young St kilda rookie how just got drafted, average over 120 in the TAC cup. Can see him making me some good cash.

wombatsFC · 15/01/2016 at 23:53

Maybe look at shaw, Bartel or McKenzie if you're on a budget. There's some love for Docherty but he was almost stagnant last year in ave growth. I'm a big fan of White he pumped out 1.5ppm every time maddog malthouse played him in the right role and I reckon that the Hawthorn bloke who's coaching Carlton now will take advantage of his offensive aggression.

Liam · 16/01/2016 at 00:10

Thanks wombats. I think i'm going to lock in McKenzie at D5, but will need to downgrade Kennedy to a rookie.

Jimbo · 16/01/2016 at 10:02

Who is McKenzie? Trent McKenzie?

Liam · 16/01/2016 at 10:18

Sorry its Mackenzie, the key defender from WCE who is priced out 240k,

Liam · 16/01/2016 at 10:18

At***

Kuhnie · 15/01/2016 at 18:24

First draft so far!

Def: Shaw, Bartel, Smith, Malceski, adamson, Byrne (collins rice)

Mid: Ablett, pendles, hannabery, sloane, Rocky, libba, B. Crouch, JOM. ( beech, gore, freeman)

RUCK: Martin, lobbe, (wyatt)

Fwd: Montagna, dahlhaus, barlow, petracca, ahern, galucci ( brown redman)

Any comments are welcome!

Going a bit light in fwd line for now but can downgrade montagna for a couple mid prices.

Brendan · 26/01/2016 at 23:15

My side is somewhat similar…..I had montag in and I was advised to take him out which i thought about and did so incline to change take him out. Looks good but as we all know gotta see what happens in nab with rookies and Libba!

Brendan · 26/01/2016 at 23:16

took not take****

CroMagnon Man · 15/01/2016 at 22:07

I'm just gonna throw this out there peeps. If Leuenberger is incapable of running due to an Achilles injury, how the hell is he gonna play senior football?

Brendan · 26/01/2016 at 22:59

Is Goldy really a must???? His price is really high and I'm thinking of not taking him???? Thinking of saving more than 0ver 100.000 and going down to martin as ruck 1?

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Sean · 12/02/2016 at 10:16

Zach Merrett will be one to watch this season. He had a brilliant 2015 and with a bit of consistency and added bulk/fitness he will be a jet. Could become a premium for the 2017 SC season.