Dex Files – Marcus Bontempelli

Published by Jock on

Concrete Booking Agency

TG Footy Tracgic - DexterCommunity, I think I need to clarify this segment to you. I used the wrong analogy last week. I mentioned the “player of the week” – this may have confused you. What I’m getting at is; this segment is more about the “value pick of the week” or similar.

The player I select may not have smashed out a 150, or even been in the top 50 scores for the week – just a value selection for our teams.

Now, this week I look at Marcus “Bont” Bontempelli.

Gee-Whiz, this kid can play. 2 weeks in a row, he’s knocked out 120+ scores with a 126 and a 142. At 422k; if you started him – you’d be tickled pink! He’s on the bubble (so to speak) and even if he scores a 94, as projected; he will rise by 50k this week. What we need to work out is:

Is he worth a trade if we don’t have him?

We need to remember; “Bont” is only in his second year. Make no mistake – the kid will be a star, but will he get the “second year blues”?

I don’t think he will.

Let’s look at his numbers this season: Bont is averaging 24.5 disposals (15.5 kicks, 13.5 Contested) at 68% DE, 3.5 marks, 10 – I repeat TEN – tackles, 6 clearances, 1 rebound 50, 7 inside 50’s and 3 clangers for 134 SC from 85.5% ToG. Granted; he hasn’t been tagged – he tackles and he can win his own ball.

Yes; only two weeks have passed, and yes; Dogs have won both games – BUT… let’s say Bont averages 100 from here to the bye – which considering he averaged 95 in the nab challenge from similar ToG and similar game stats – he should appreciate around 110k.

One thing a lot of people are mentioning is the “certainty” he will be tagged. Yep, I think he will – but look at his numbers, he’s a tackling machine (4 pts per tackle) and a shade over 55% of his disposals have been contested. I don’t think a hard tag will affect his output drastically. I think the Doggies new game-plan suits his style of play and consequently – his SC output.

Last year, with McCartney as coach and being sub once, “Bont” Averaged 15.9 disposals (8.3 kicks, 7.5 contested) at 67.3% DE, 2.9 marks, 3.4 tackles, 2.3 clearances, 1 R50, 4.2 I50’s, .9 goals and 1.6 clangers a game. He averaged 76.8 SC in this time.

Take out his sub game, his SC average jumped to 82.8 in a turd of a Dogs team, and in his first year. He’s only going to get better community.

The question is – these are all hypotheticals by the way – if he averages 100 until the bye; he should be around 535k, and if a super-elite like Selwood drops a spud; you could move him on for a Selwood pre-bye, for effectively a straight swap.

What are the risks of trading to “Bont”?

There is really only one I can think of – unless you plan on keeping him.

If “Bont” drops a 60-70 point game, his appreciation will be severely stunted. He’ll either make little coin, or even lose value.

Have a backup plan for the event this happens.

Will you downgrade him or will you keep him? Don’t sideways from “Bont” if you decide to trade him in.

Does a prospective 110k appreciation warrant two trades?

I remember last year – it was post round 2 and Cotchin hadn’t given me much. I wasn’t happy, and I remember our good friend Pieman called in that week and suggested a move that I too was contemplating – Cotchin out, Matt Thomas in. WHAT?

“You must back your premiums” we always say. I say, yes this is true. But post round 2 trades are your correctives. Thomas was averaging 120 from his two games; Cotchin was averaging an ordinary 101 (for a 570k+ “Premium”).

I moved on Cotch for Thomas for an immediate 322k in kitty. Thomas only averaged 82 for the time I had him (Cotch averaged 100 until bye), I moved Thomas on in round 6, making 122k. Not that much in the scheme of things – but it did let me instantly upgrade Rohan pre-round 3 and I had enough cash left over next round to move Caddy up to Breust. Admittedly I should have gone Gray – but what I’m getting at is one downgrade can get you enough funds to upgrade 2 or 3 mid-priced players.

Aren’t trades worth gold though?

We’re always going on about plans, and I’m going to re-iterate this sentiment. If you plan your trading, you should do fine – even if you get thrown an LTI.

At the end of round 6 last year, I’d already used 8 trades, but I’d moved in 4 keepers and made around 5-600k in funds (mixed from rookie appreciation and risky downgrades that paid off).

I planned to use the funds to move on an underperforming player, with the aim to strengthen my other lines – I worked for me, and it is something I’m planning on doing this year again.

For me, “Bont” will come in with the aim to move him on by his bye to a super-elite. (I will be downgrading an under-performing premium). Thus making me money and only (hopefully) suffering a small drop in output.

I can see plenty arguing that I’m trading too aggressively; I say it’s a viable strategy to make money.

Is “Bont” a keeper?

Libba is out for the season. Everyone knows this; but what you may not know is – including NAB 2015 – “Bont” averages 110 SC without Libba in the team.

Combining 2014 (McCartney coach), Season 2015 and NAB 2015, “Bont averages 102.42 SC.

“Bont” averages 79.4 with Jong in the team (110 this year including NAB).

He averages 103.8 with Wallis in the team (122.5 this year including NAB).

I’ll just say, if “Bont” is averaging 110+ by the bye – I will keep him. It’s as simple as that.

Well Community, What are your plans for “Bont”? Is he a keeper or is he fool’s gold? We would love to hear from you below.

lm11 · 15/04/2015 at 16:16

Nice article!

Dean · 15/04/2015 at 16:21

Had the bont in my team all pre-season…traded him out at the last minute for TBC so I could afford R.Gray. Regrets? No because even tho TBC is not exactly on fire, he will still make a good 50-100k, and Gray will avg 115 for the rest of the year

I think the bont may avg 100ish if lucky….however I will say I'd be happy if I started with him because he's going to give a good output at least for the short term, and give you 100+k cash generation that you could flick off for a premium whenever you like.

Personally I wouldn't trade him in because I think we've seen the best of him and he's not in my long term plans, however I do think he will average around the 95-100 mark for the rest of the year, so you really can't go wrong if you were looking to bring him in.

Dean · 15/04/2015 at 16:22

Also provided TBC averages 75ish on the year, he will have done his job as my security for Nic Nat's groin, and I can flick him off or bench him right before finals for a premium

The Patty Catz · 15/04/2015 at 16:28

Ive got TBC in that F4 spot, its nice to have the ruck secruity, but geez are we missing the Bont train?

Redd · 15/04/2015 at 16:24

Great article dex i feel youve covered all the points that i was looking for a bit of info on. Wont be bringin the bont in myself just cant quite work it. I have the choice of Fasolo to B.Smith or A.Rance Cripps to NVB or Salem to The Bont i think im goin with Fasolo to Rance gaining hopefully a top 5 defender. Currently ranked 1178 hope i can keep improving keep up the good work

@supercoach_101 · 15/04/2015 at 16:24

Do you think i should get the bont rich or shiel as risky moneymakers

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 16:29

How many underperforming premo's do you have? I would condone a GAJ to Shiel, Cripps/Salem/Clark to Bont move, despite the risk.

@supercoach_101 · 15/04/2015 at 16:31

I have andrew swallow , luke parker and joel selwood.
      Both swallow and parker have high break evens should i downgrade one?

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 16:33

I would have no hesitation in pulling the trigger on swallow, if I had the luxury of a trade. Therefore if your rookies are solid and no other forced trades, you could afford this luxury.

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 16:37

Hold Parker and Jelwood.

medadsson · 15/04/2015 at 16:37

Don't forget Parker's game last week was almost certainly affected by his concussion the previous week. Very few players who are concussed one week and play the next have good games. I can think of Bartel and Selwood as being two who had poor games following concussions. Parker probably should not have played but I guess medical staff know him best. For the same reason, out of interest, keep an eye on Brodie Smith, if he plays this week.

The Patty Catz · 15/04/2015 at 16:45

Im happy Parker had an average consussion affected game last week – he now becomes a POD for us Parker owners.
          Im also pleased Lewis didnt go too big so he stays less picked from the Gaz dumpers – Lewis will go nuts this year.

Charlesy · 15/04/2015 at 20:33

I’ve decided to do this General. Gaz to Shiel and Cripps to Bont. I ve got a gut feel that it’s Shiels breakout and the Bont will give me early season points while making me cash. It’s risky not taking Sloane or jpk for Gaz but I’m gonna take the chance.

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 16:27

The brilliance of the strategy is so compelling, had to put my socks back on.

For those that are able to adopt this strategy (which is not for all, Dex is quite clear in his reasoning) this may go some way to making your supercoach season.

I am highly unlikely to bring him in as my under performing premo's did so round 1, and the round 2 score is the reason they are called premo's. That is I cannot see anyone I want to downgrade for the coin. Accordingly if he goes at 110 average I will pay the premium at that time. Additionally I cannot see a situation whereby not selecting will cost you your supercoach season.

However for those that choose to adopt this, the back up plan for the Bont failing will make or break a few SC teams imho.

Again Dex pure genius mate.

Tappa10 · 15/04/2015 at 16:39

I have a question both General and Dex:

What if you have a mid-price who hasn’t performed in the opening rounds? (e.g. Wells).

Would a GAJ to JPK and a Wells to Bont be a good move? It feels quite good at the moment but would love to hear your thoughts.

P.S. Great write up Dex!

Tappa10 · 15/04/2015 at 16:40

It also opens up DPP (as an added bonus)

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 16:45

Would not hesitate to do that move Tappa.

NateCrows · 15/04/2015 at 17:30

Hey General,

what about if you had enough for shiel too? I mean Gaz to JPK and Wells to Shiel

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 17:49

I like that even more, Shiel will outpoint Bont no worries, but will cost more as well.

Tappa10 · 15/04/2015 at 18:51

Cheers General 🙂

Matthew · 15/04/2015 at 16:30

Two games against two below average teams, for two wins. cant see him scoring 130 against teams like Hawthorn or Sydney. People want to get him expecting the same output as rounds one and two. 95-105 is the max he'll average. Not saying he isnt a gun – he is, but not going to continue to produce the same quality scores

Chicko · 15/04/2015 at 19:19

I'd take 95-100 from this point on Matthew. Means he should grow in about $115k in value. And if he averages 100, I think that would be enough to justify his position as F6 or swinging bench cover come late in the season.

Charlesy · 15/04/2015 at 20:36

I’m with you Chicko

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 07:43

This is exactly my thinking at the start of the year and why I have him and not Martin. Enable me to start with Gray, Bartel, Swan and Bont at F4. Martin will go through a cold spell and can be upgraded later. Would I be happy to have him at F6 at end of the year. Bloody oath. If he looks like tiring towards end of year will be an upgrade to fallen premo for me.

Bigger issue is bloody GAJ. Said all season to big a risk to start and then last couple of days did a GAJ team and started the bloke. Want to shoot myself now. not really just trades and cash I could have used better at start of season. Started with Smith instead of upgrade. Well it is not as if I am in the boat alone. 🙂

@AusSports84 · 15/04/2015 at 16:31

Great read mate cheers.
I started with him and have obviously been stoked.
Not sure I would be trading him in though this week if I didn't have him.

The Patty Catz · 15/04/2015 at 16:41

This year like no other, Ive noticed people are falling into traps.

Preround 1: If you picked GAZ like everyone did you made that mistake.
Round 1: If you brought Tex in after round 1 you made a mistake.
Round 2: Bont is talk of town now, he plays hawks next, hasnt been tagged properly yet. I think he is this weeks 'popular trap'.

Think of the advantage you have if you dont pick him and he starts getting sub 100. Im not getting this young legend in as a POD!.

Matthew Trathen · 15/04/2015 at 17:00

Thanks Captain hindsight (re Gaz).

The Patty Catz · 15/04/2015 at 17:03

That wasn't hindsight. He hurt shoulder 8 months ago, and he didnt play NAB, and he was working hard to be fit for round 1. Highest priced player with a cloud over his head isnt hindsight, its common sense?

Sarah · 15/04/2015 at 19:45

Agree Patty! I'm thrilled with my decision not to pick him, the warning signs were all there.

shane · 15/04/2015 at 23:33

Ahh, AGREED.

r2d2 · 15/04/2015 at 16:44

Gaz to jpk or Lewis and tbc upto bonts ? Am seriously still considering this move ..

lincoln · 15/04/2015 at 17:23

Certainly considering this move myself

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 07:48

Why are you considering it. Is it a stepping stone to a premo or for a keeper for the year. If a keeper you have lost the points already and is more likely to average 95-105 rest of the year maybe lower. If as a stepping stone cant you make more money on a rookie that is missing. TBC to Bonts might get you 30 points a week. Rookie can get you 40-50, save cash and be an upgrade.

Me i want smith and cant get him this week. So GAJ to JPK/Sloane and Lambert to NVB. Next week may be downgrade Maric to TBC and upgrade KK/Goodes to Smith.

Cozza · 16/04/2015 at 09:25

If you have TBC in your forwards as ruck cover, you will be playing with your structures too much. If you have no bench ruck cover, you should think seriously about holding TBC

Asada Bin Testin · 15/04/2015 at 16:46

Haha those that don't have him are all too quick to suggest he's not worth bringing in and he'll sprout spud shoots! I just want to get him to the bye rounds, see where he's at and make a judgement call thereafter. Injury aside, he's a set n forget until after round 9!

Rick Grimes · 16/04/2015 at 06:32

Has played nobody. See you on here Monday and we'll discuss how he went against the Hawks.

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 07:50

Rick, will be here. Kid is a superstar. looking forward to see how he goes over next 5 weeks, I expect him to average 100 against premo teams. If he doesnt then my bad. It is a game of risk remember.

Asada Bin Testin · 16/04/2015 at 08:54

Haha i'm up for the challenge Rick! Probably can chat about it around 4:30pm Sunday arvo rather than wait till Monday!

@Seekersupacoach · 15/04/2015 at 16:46

A lot of social media talk with GAJ being downgraded to the Bont then swinging Bont into the forward line. Too big a risk maybe?

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 17:29

It will be for some and only time will tell. Where is McFly with his Deloreon when you need him.

D Man · 15/04/2015 at 18:19

That’s what I’m thinking. Bont could be one of the top 6 fwds come season end, if not at least he’s made you some cash

Tyler · 15/04/2015 at 18:37

Well if you keep him it doesnt matter if he makes you money, and if you trade him out it doesn’t matter if he is a top 6 fwd at seasons end

I N Pieman · 15/04/2015 at 16:48

It was a ballsy call last year on Cotchin. But it paid the table & then some. We got to full premo faster than almost all. I’m considering an unspeakable act this week which I’m sure you can figure out.

Chicko · 15/04/2015 at 19:20

I can see you do it Pieman – GAJ TO THE BONT!

Dools · 15/04/2015 at 21:46

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.
      INP has not, No Way, Fridge will visit and kick the bejezuzzzz outa him

I N Pieman · 15/04/2015 at 21:55

Chump move chicko. Big ball move

Jimi · 15/04/2015 at 17:00

This has article has changed my plans.

I was going to go Ablett to Sloan, Cripps to NVB.

I will now go Ablett to Bont, Goodes to Oxley. $450k in the kitty, Cripps to Sloan rd 4.

Good plan or am I just taking myself for a ride?

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 17:23

Good plan.

Juzzy · 15/04/2015 at 17:06

Great article Dex.
Without boring everyone with my team structure my decision this week is …..
Swan or Bontempelli into my forward line ??
Swan is proven and looks pretty safe to be a top 8 forward. He also has a much better draw over the next few weeks.
Bontempelli looks awesome though .
Hard decision.

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 17:26

I went with Swan over Bont from the get go, proven over unproven. But I expect my decision will be ratified before seasons end with Swan providing a larger total SC score.

Juzzy · 15/04/2015 at 17:30

Thanks General.
      That's how I am leaning , just trying to ignore the hype.

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 07:55

I went with both. Swan to me reeked of potential risk. But a bit of research answered my questions and so started with him. I found the money for bont by going 4 Mid Prem and Wells. If I didnt have both at this point in time I would be doing Swan over Bont.

Not sure what to do with Wells figured i would keep him until byes. Hope the bugger plays and stays on the ground. If Scott "manages" him I going to have to downgrade him toosweet.

marty · 15/04/2015 at 17:14

I’m trading B Goodes to the Bont this week. Under performing dog out. Performing dog in. I also had him numerous times preseason but couldn’t quite afford him. Team looks right with him in. Expecting him to be a great f6 season keeper at worst.

Rascal · 15/04/2015 at 17:14

SO many contradicting articles on this site. /sigh Go sheep grab the Bont

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 17:28

The articles provide the tools.

You have to build it using those tools.

Dan · 15/04/2015 at 19:02

They all have different opinions, which is good. If u want a team thats the same as every I other team then go follow some other paige.

shane · 15/04/2015 at 23:36

I see what you did.there

Carloss · 15/04/2015 at 17:25

Tossing up 2 strategies to deal with Gazza:
1. Gaz to Lewis – B Goodes to Oxley, Obviously extra $300k in the bank for my next upgrade. Or:
2. Gaz to Bont- Bont & Lambert switcheroo, Lambert to Rich.

Thinking the Lewis strategy is lower risk, but Bont could pay Huge divs. I am torn!

Tyler · 15/04/2015 at 18:47

If you plan on trading bont out later, go #2, but I reckon #1 is the smarter move, because lewis is a definite keeper whether bont may not be a keeper, so #1 has less chance of losing you a trade and I reckon oxley should go up in price a fair bit

NateCrows · 15/04/2015 at 17:27

Great Article!

Creates more questions for me….

Rich, Shiel, Bont all in calculations for me

Gaz –> JPK. Wells to the above, not sure which.

keenbutclueless · 15/04/2015 at 21:00

I wouldn't trade Wells sideways. Either do it for cash – so go down to a Van Berlo if you don't have him, or upgrade Wells to a keeper. If you think Bont is a keeper – then that's the best option. The third alternative is to leave Wells and just make the one trade

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 07:57

Spot on, keep looking at Wells and how to get Smith into backline. Heart says trade brain says sit on my trades so, No downgrade or upgrade for Wells at the moment.

Luviboy1 · 15/04/2015 at 17:29

Is Bontempelli really a must have? He is in an out of my team and I cant make up my mind. How do we think hell all do against Hawks, Adelaide and Sydney?

I N Pieman · 15/04/2015 at 17:34

Great question & that’s why I’m letting him slide. Think the young enthusiastic pups will tire. And if he gets a hard tag & surely it’s coming how will that affect him.

NateCrows · 15/04/2015 at 17:40

I agree Pieman. But, geez he does look good. Watched both games and just delivered the ball well which will help his cause.

sam siddall · 15/04/2015 at 17:40

Agree pieman

sam siddall · 15/04/2015 at 17:41

Hes so badly priced if he was 360k id be all over it

Luviboy1 · 15/04/2015 at 18:26

Imo, I dont think hell score over 100 in the next 3 weeks.

sam siddall · 15/04/2015 at 17:36

Only get him if u dont need 2 get the right rooks in and have an underperformed prem or have enough to upgrade a rook who isnt going great eg cripps otherwise dont do it

BBW · 15/04/2015 at 20:58

Scored 42 last year against Sydney and 59 against Hawthorn … but he was only 18 and the dogs have a better set up this year …. interesting dilemma

sam siddall · 15/04/2015 at 17:34

Already got tex walker cant have both but plan on going the cloke jb move with tex for lids or selwood with dwan in my mids when both drop hope tex can go 100+ this week to set it up

Conor · 15/04/2015 at 17:35

Great article, Loving it Dex

Super Coach wisdom in need!

Is it better to trade Gary to NVB this week and have 600 grand in bank, I am seriously considering it because I feel like I need the cash generation from NVB more than I need the extra 50ish points that Super premo will score over him.

Is 50 points worth more the 60k he will go up?

Thoughts Community

My other trade this week will be H Goddard to Oxly

sam siddall · 15/04/2015 at 17:38

Go nvb i reckon aslong as u upgrade with that cash next week i just left 125k in bank to get mcgarth nvb in 4 goodes and cripps

I N Pieman · 15/04/2015 at 17:44

Oxley is a must have. Good move. Like your thinking with Gary.

Hubris · 16/04/2015 at 14:46

I'm doing something similar (Gary to Bont, Cripps to NVB), but on the proviso that I spend that money soon. Like Selwood next week.

Luke · 15/04/2015 at 17:46

Hi,

Good article bont is a 100% forward keeper! for you those with ablett, it is a simple downgrade bont/tex for ablett and under performing rookie, you then have 2 keepers instead of one! Plenty of midfielders are misfiring early so there will be plenty of value in the midfield when rookies mature! Get on these 2 they won't let you down

Gordo · 15/04/2015 at 17:51

Goodes to bruce or hunt and cripps or newton to vanberlo?

sam siddall · 15/04/2015 at 17:52

Not worth wasting a trade with goodes unless ur going up or down dont go sideways

Gordo · 15/04/2015 at 17:59

just thinking about bruce's price jump for the next two weeks and been able to bring in a keeper after that. what are your thoughts on getting in vanberlo?

Derek · 15/04/2015 at 18:23

Sideways trades. No

Steve · 15/04/2015 at 18:27

Could be classed as correction I don’t really see Goodes rising a lot

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 18:29

I do not like any of these Gordo.

Chicko · 15/04/2015 at 18:55

Completely agree with General on this one Gordo.

Nick · 15/04/2015 at 17:59

Its wrong to say he hasn’t been tagged, Adam Selwood tagged him round 1

Nick · 15/04/2015 at 18:52

Make that Scott Selwood

@randomcliche · 15/04/2015 at 22:24

the guy who played not much footy with ankle injury… yeah definitely not the bloke for the job round 1….doesnt count imo

Northerner · 15/04/2015 at 17:59

Great work Dex. I was at the Rd 1 game and Sellwood actually tagged him. The Bont's half time score was average and it was a dominant quarter in the 3rd and then followed into the last that scored him the points. Sellwood may well have played the second half with the injury that now has him out for 3-4 weeks, so not sure on whether that allowed him off the leash. However, I was impressed that he did not let the tag, nor a quieter start for him perpetuate for the whole game – normally a second year blues scenario. He is a massive midfielder, e.g. as big and imposing as a JPK or Fyfe, covers the ground the ground quicker, has arguably better use by foot and almost has Fyfe's level of coordination. I was lucky enough to grab him up front and I can see arguments both ways if you don't have him between getting him in or putting on your future watchlist.

Tofor · 15/04/2015 at 18:00

Martin to Bont? Could, Should and/or Would you do it?
Martin, potential high ceiling, low bottom, inconsistent – projected to drop 15k
Excellent write up on Bont here. High potenital – projected to increase 50k this week alone…
I'm tempted.
I also have Swan..

Gordo · 15/04/2015 at 18:02

martin is a keeper he will be one of the top forwards this year don't waste the trade

Tofor · 15/04/2015 at 18:12

Cheers Gordo. I think I'm actually just going to sit and hold trades…
    I have Goodes (and rest of must have rookie defenders), who I wouldn't mind ditching… but for who??? Jackson Ramsay?
    I have Lamb who I wouldn't mind switching up for Hogan (have Salem, Clark and Lonie as other rookies)…
    Nothing in the bank atm to work with, so might just wait on cash gen.

Gordo · 15/04/2015 at 18:15

if you can i would defaintly go lamb to hogan. I'm having the same problem with goodes think of going to hunt or bruce just for there price rises over a couple rounds then been able to straight swap them to someone i can keep all year

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 08:05

The time for this decision was preseason. Dusty inconsistency has p'd me off for two years now but always had him. This year I will grab him at Byes time and hope the mongrel doesnt spud it in the finals again. So Gray, Bartel, Swan and Bont and bloody happy with it. Salem, Clark, Hogan and Lamb as rookies. My forwards are set until bye time at the moment.
      My backs are a disaster? Problem is I have the good rookies and cannot afford the premo's my mid pricers are struggling but early days and outside of Smith who will average a 100 down back?

Derek · 15/04/2015 at 18:22

Keep dusty

Chicko · 15/04/2015 at 19:21

G'day Tofor – I wouldn't get rid of Martin for The Bont

Northerner · 16/04/2015 at 05:14

Dusty BE is high this week because of his 53 in rd1. That’s gone after this week. His 139 will then be in the calc for 2 weeks which will create an increase in his price. If he goes down $15k this week he’s just as likely to recover that back the week following.

nick · 16/04/2015 at 15:28

remember he is a mid fwd so u could always try if u have some money bring bont in by a rich etc just a idea

Bails95 · 15/04/2015 at 18:01

I have Minson and TBC. I am not fussed with TBC as at his price will still rise in value even if he averages 75. At 500k I am a bit concerned with Minsons average of 78 and 60 last weekend which is shithouse for his price and with a breakeven of 137 is sure to drop in value. Not sure whether I should upgrade to Goldy or sideways to nic nat or any other ideas????need help

brucees pasted jocks · 15/04/2015 at 19:34

you've chosen your ruckmen now stick with them. too late to change now- you had unlimited trades for months leading up until round 1.

or to put it another way- let me ask you this. Why did you choose to start the year with TBC and Minson?

Jimi · 15/04/2015 at 20:00

I wouldn't trade out TBC right now. Essendon just played arguably the two of the toughest teams in the comp and their draw opens up for the next 3 weeks. I expect TBC's scores to rise.

Tyler · 15/04/2015 at 20:27

I think Minson to goldy is a good trade no matter what but only sideways trade him to nic nat if you have spare trades and no other corrective trades

Youngster · 15/04/2015 at 20:47

Hold. You can trade Minson anytime, right now there is no reason to think he will be any worse than any other ruck option. Get your rookies sorted, ditch a failing mid pricer who won't come good. Right now Minson is scoring you points and there's more money to be made else where if that's what you're after.

Tim · 15/04/2015 at 18:07

Hi guys, great article.

I have both lamb (wce) and miller (gc) in my side and have concerns about future playing time.

Community, what are your thoughts? Hold or trade?

Derek · 15/04/2015 at 18:20

Hold hold

I N Pieman · 15/04/2015 at 18:34

I think lamb will see plenty of game time. West coast need players. Miller still a low BE. Unless you have a glaring miss sit tight

Tim · 15/04/2015 at 18:58

No real glaring hole as such. Was thinking Nathan vb and perhaps Sinclair from st k. That kid is hard at it.

Tim · 15/04/2015 at 19:05

Thanks guys

Jamie · 15/04/2015 at 19:56

Hold Lamb. I think he should play this week with Tunbridge.

Jamie (cont) · 15/04/2015 at 19:56

-'s injury.

Luke · 15/04/2015 at 18:08

With frawley out for sometime will gibbo play as a key defender

Derek · 15/04/2015 at 18:17

I think the Hawks will find room for either Spranger or shoemakers. Gibbo will be free to do what he does best

SCOTLAND THE BRAVE · 15/04/2015 at 22:10

What about white x?

gillie44 · 15/04/2015 at 18:17

Minson out for bont by swinging TBC into ruck. Thoughts? Will pocket 80K from this as well.

Don't feel I need ruck cover any more and need another good option up forward as I have gray and swan rest are rookies and mitch Clark. TBC scoring similar to Minson anyway. Also had all the rookies needed from start only problem is I had Patrick cripps who I will probably trade to van Berlo.

Brook · 15/04/2015 at 18:47

Thinking the same

brucees pasted jocks · 15/04/2015 at 19:31

LOL don't need ruck cover anymore???? what makes you think that?? do you know how many ruckman have played all games in a season? Its in jocks book. AND youre choosing to keep TBC over Minson? email me some of that stuff youre smoking. TBC was already sore after game 1 and that weak dumpling will be giving you donuts in the next month- guaranteed!!!

they even upgraded mckernan before others because they know after round 1 TBC is close to cooked.

on avge you will need at least on 6 occasions ruck cover- or 6 donuts if you prefer. but there will be ruck problems and donuts this year that is guaranteed- and everyone will have to waste a trade brininging a ruckman- that's only if they have the cash available on the round they need to do the trade.

Brook · 15/04/2015 at 20:33

You make some good points and I gave given it some more thought. I am weighing up two options:
      1. Minson->Bont; Cripps->NVB
      2. Goodes->DEF rookie; Miller->NVB

It’s a tough one … Pros and cons on both sides. Ruck cover is just one if the issues.

I must admit, option 2 maybe the more sensible option. Gives me 11 solid rookies (including cripps, but not lamb) and a solid basis for following the trading plan outlined in the magazine.Could easily pick up the bont as part if that, even if he is more pricey.

The trade off will be possible loss of points between the bont and Minson. However, over eight week @ 20pts differential I am only looking at 160pts. This could be made up thru def loophole, ruck cover plus a saved trade. I also get to see how the bont goes against good opposition.

As it turns out, I may be more likely to trade Goodes out if he is named! If he is dropped, he keeps his value and works as an emergency loophole. Gotta love this game!

nick · 16/04/2015 at 15:32

what about dahlihaus or bennell from the suns as I have bomp dahlihas bebbell Hogan cark Hawkins think this weekend the hawk and cark will takes bags of marks ad kick bags of goals against a week suns back line those 2 over the next 3 or 4 weeks will do well I think I have swan in the midfield

Alex · 15/04/2015 at 18:17

Dex do you reckon rich is a better pick?

The Pensta · 15/04/2015 at 18:20

tossing up Cripps>Rich or NVB myself….

Paul · 15/04/2015 at 18:17

Hey community!

I am having trouble with 1 player.

This player is Travis Boak. He cant handle a tag and is only averaging 75, which in my opinion is shite.

Would you rather trade Boak for a 580K Mid? If so Who?

Or

Would you rather swap Martin or Bont into the Mid so I can get a 580K FWD? If so who?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Derek · 15/04/2015 at 18:19

If this your only problem you are doing well.

Keep Bock

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 18:22

Danger, Heppel or go to Shiel pocket some coin and get him on the up, he will rise to $580K then pick off whomever you like. If he hasnt turned into a keeper that is.

SCOTLAND THE BRAVE · 15/04/2015 at 22:12

Get on Wines!

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 08:11

Only high priced forward I would consider would be Gray. If under 580 Dangerfield. I am hoping to get Boak for b'all come rnd 8/9/10.

The Pensta · 15/04/2015 at 18:19

One trade will be Hambly>Oxley, other trade – Cripps>Rich Or NVB or Lambert>Salem? Thoughts….

Luviboy1 · 15/04/2015 at 19:39

I'd hold onto Cripps for now.

Jake · 15/04/2015 at 18:32

Haven't got the Bont as yet… But wondering who everyone thinks will be say the 'Top 8' forward eligible players this season? Surely at say an average of 90-100? He'd be in and around that conversation. I'm not wanting him as a mid like many people are suggesting.. purely as a forward.. Upgrading him from Rookie Lamb with the extra money from GAJ.

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 18:49

Top 8 will go between 100-110. He is in and around the conversation if he goes 90-100. A steal if he maintains 100 average at his price.

Stevo · 15/04/2015 at 18:58

I guess a top 6 forward would average 100+ to be considered one of the best. Then 7-10 would average 95-100. I think Bont should be capable of averaging over 95 due to the amount of monster tackles and finds his own ball really well. I was also playing on upgrading Lamb too (if you read below).

BundyBear · 15/04/2015 at 18:38

Is Shiel the real deal ?

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 18:43

I believe so, will he be a top 8-15 mid by years end……maybe, on current form yes.

Chicko · 15/04/2015 at 19:23

Similar to General. Think he is. I've got Shiel in my draft team and couldn't be happier. Gun. Unlikely to cop a tag with Ward, Griff and Treloar in the same midfield.

@emhoy · 15/04/2015 at 18:42

I see Bonti as an upgrade target if he turns into a premium. I want to wait and see if he can score this well against the better teams. The dogs have some tough matches coming up.

brucies pasted jocks · 15/04/2015 at 19:25

yeh great thoughts- but this is SC not DT so which team you play is irrelevant.

many players in lower teams score highly against the better teams!!!!!

in fact how many times over the years have you thought to yourself 'gees my premo scored that low against GWS/melb/stK'???

Infact a lot of premos score poorly against bottom teams- and that's a fact. DT and SC are totally different.

Bobby · 15/04/2015 at 18:45

should i get rid of cripps

Chicko · 15/04/2015 at 19:00

Differing thoughts on this one Bobby. I have Cripps and will likely trade him down to a rookie on the bubble in my forward line. I can also see why you might wait and see if he plays this week and what he produces to see what price rise he gets. by waiting, you obviously miss the chance to pick a rookie on the bubble.

Luviboy1 · 15/04/2015 at 19:37

Hold. For now.

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 08:14

Cripps is likely to get support and games at Carlton cause they need a body in the contest. Think Miller is a bigger problem and for me lambert was even bigger problem. Last year on review my biggest mistake was trading too much and too quick.

Stevo · 15/04/2015 at 18:54

Can I have some help please?
My trades are gary to Bont and Lamb (if he isn't named) to Pavlich. The reason why I got pav is that his BE is 3 and is 459k. His scores so far have been 136 against port and 128 against geelong. So, if he gets another 110+ against a depleted WCE backline, he'll probably move up to 510k. If however he starts backfiring like he always does, he will probably be up at around 550k where I can upgrade him to a proven FWD premo. Thoughts?

Chicko · 15/04/2015 at 19:27

G'day Stevo, perhaps have a listen to Jock on the podcast about Pavs tooth length. He does normally start quite well, but if you are looking at him as a keeper then I would wait. I really like Pav as a player, and he is a gun. Not sure though he is for the world of Supercoach this year. I'd hold fire.

Derek · 15/04/2015 at 19:28

Now that is a Shark move!

Stevo · 15/04/2015 at 19:42

-Appreciate it Chicko, I'm probably not gonna keep Pav, key forwards are never keepers to me (except for buddy). Like I said above when I think he will peak in price which I hope is over 550k i upgrade him to a proven FWD premo. I've only got Pav for the quick cash n points grab.
      -Derek, I considered it a shark move too haha. I actually have EXACTLY 0 remaining salary left over…

ToneStar · 16/04/2015 at 16:48

Wasting trades. Upgrade to players you want in final rounds at the end.

Chicko · 15/04/2015 at 18:58

Dex, just when I thought I had my trade or two sorted for this round, you release the hounds on this outstanding piece of research.

In terms of some of the comments on this loop, yes The Bont has been prolific in the first two rounds, yes he is likely to cop a tag, yes the young Doggies may tire BUT if he can keep tackling at 7-10 tackles a game then the floor in his scoring is raised and he gets anywhere between 28-40 points without touching the pill. For this reason alone, I am thinking seriously about bringing him in and maybe keep him as a long term DPP for finals as a F6 or F7 swinging into M8 or M9 cover.

Thank you Dex, a tremendous amount of thought has gone into this little beauty.

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 08:16

Chicko, great thinking and best explanation of why to bring in Bont and how he fits your strategy. Top stuff mate.

Dingo · 15/04/2015 at 19:05

Lambert to CEY or nvb?

General Soreness · 15/04/2015 at 19:17

CEY for mine

Bruds · 15/04/2015 at 19:46

Go CEY, saves 100k and will have similar output

Dingo · 15/04/2015 at 20:55

Thanks guys. Was favouring CEY but a lot of talk of nvb as a rookie option so had me thinking.

Chaz · 15/04/2015 at 19:12

Bont was tagged both games, first by Scott Selwood and then by Dustin Martin

Bruds · 15/04/2015 at 19:46

Wouldn't say tagged Chaz, it was said that Dusty "ran head to head" with Bont as you could tell by them both being off the chain racking up around 30
    If you have Bont bloody well played by picking him but i'm not bringing him in because i doubt he'll be a top 6 fwd by years end

ToneStar · 16/04/2015 at 16:52

Agree… You trust this guy in the final rounds or its another trade gone…

Rob · 15/04/2015 at 19:14

Josh kennedy(syd) or Jordan Lewis

Chicko · 15/04/2015 at 19:24

You won't go wrong with either Rob. If you need some further food for thought. Check out the pre-season article Dex wrote on Lewis and that I wrote on JPK. It will only serve to make the decision harder. I've started with Lewis in my squad and targeting JPK and Sloane as upgrade 1 and 2.

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 08:19

Geez Chicko I like the way you think mate. DG from GAJ to JPK or Sloan for me. I am going JPK with upgrade to sloan later. Lewis I am not yet comfortable with. I have to get Pendles and Sloan as 1/2

steph · 15/04/2015 at 19:25

hi community thoughts on
savage or mcdonald
and
prestia or jack

Luviboy1 · 15/04/2015 at 19:36

McDonald and Prestia.

Bruds · 15/04/2015 at 19:43

Savage and McDOnald are awkward midpricers and have both had easy runs in the first two weeks so i'd steer clear
    Prestia and Jack are interesting PODs, i like prestia with Gaz being out for a little bit but i think Jack with be overshadowed by JPK and Parker as the year wears on

Marcus · 15/04/2015 at 19:27

Gaz to shiel and bank 230 k
What are your thoughts ?? 🙂

george · 15/04/2015 at 19:38

Yeah I did that, but also Upgraded Cripps to Bont

Charlesy · 15/04/2015 at 21:01

Me too George!

Bruds · 15/04/2015 at 19:42

Have you got JPK and Sloan. If not they're proven performers and shiel has had really easy opposition so far, wait till he plays a top 4 side and struggles to make 70/80

Marcus · 15/04/2015 at 19:56

I have kennedy i was also thinking about sloane or lewis

jake · 15/04/2015 at 19:34

thinking of going 1 of these 3 options would love your thoughts

1: Trade GAJ- JPK then upgrade SHEED OR CRIPPS to RICH?
2: Trade GAJ- LEWIS then upgrade SHEED OR CRIPPS to BONT?
3: Trade GAJ- JPK and hold CRIPPS and SHEED?

Bruds · 15/04/2015 at 19:40

Wait and see if Cripps is going to play and where. If he's sub/bench go to rich assuming you have NVB because i think that's a sign that mick doesn't rate him enough for much time on the ball
    Bont has such a tough run coming up so i don't think he'll be averaging 100 in another 4-5 rounds so i'm not jumping on his bandwagon
    Up to you with JPK or lewis, go with your gut
    Good Luck!

jake · 15/04/2015 at 19:45

i dont have nvb hahah

Stevo · 15/04/2015 at 19:45

I like 2 a lot. However, if Cripps is named hold him. You can't really judge a performance from a rookie after his first game, I was there and watched Cripps and he looked like he was adjusting to AFL in the first quarter, then started racking up points in the second half

Derek · 15/04/2015 at 22:24

3. Keep your trades

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 08:21

If I was going to do one of these it would be GAJ – Lewis and Sheed to Bont. Bont should be a keeper at F6 or M8/9 Assumes Lewis will be a keeper. Rich is not a keeper.

Boofa · 15/04/2015 at 19:37

Plan has always been to get 95 average out of Bont as a Fwd, either keeping or upgrading to a top 6 if others start surpassing him. I’m confident he’s actually going to hold at least a 100 now though

He was tagged in the first game (Selwood) and broke it

jamie · 15/04/2015 at 19:41

just need some help i'm not sure who to get out of jack Mundy and Shiel

Jambo · 15/04/2015 at 19:58

Shiel. Higher ceiling.

brucees pasted jocks · 15/04/2015 at 19:46

As much as I love watching Cyril and testing the industrial and tensile strength of the elastic stitching in the front of my trackie dack seams when I see the young lad play I love my SC ohhhhhh its almost as speshal…

But year after year Brucies Pumpers (hidden team) has noticed a trend with his scoring and trading.

Brucies Pumpers always start well and score of around 2100 and 2200 and then once trading begins the score seemingly drop for a few weeks. Infact a lot of times it takes the Pumpers (previously called the YankJackers) until mid season to score 2500+ scores. Yet I see round 1 scores of 2400+ which would mean with a score like that who needs to trade? with just under 2300 round 2 this year I think the Pumpers will be patient with trades. My first ever team BruciesPorkSword was banished to the lower percentages but not this year. After going from round 1 40,000 ranking to a round 2 ranking of 8000 I will be holding trades. Or this team will fold at the end of the season if its not a high percentile finish and I will start planning for BruciesMeatedPipe 2016 campaign

throttlefinger · 15/04/2015 at 19:48

Pure genius, Dex. Was considering going to from Beams to Sloane but this beaut has me reconsidering. Can't argue with the moola and flexibility to upgrade it will grant. Only thing is contingent if Bont can either keep at it or not hit the 2nd year blues round 3. As you pointed out, the tackling proficiency will definitely help when he's struggling with the harder tags. He doesn't need 30 possies to go 110+.

Well done, my friend!

Gratefully,
Your #1 Fan from Brooklyn

Brewmaster · 15/04/2015 at 22:00

Was thinkings similar Tf, Beams to JPK or Mundy as a pod. I've been fortunate with the right rookies so wasting a sideway trade doesn't hurt as much. Beams just hasn't clicked at the Den and JPKs and Mundys inside work and DE are both awesome.

The extra 100k will come in handy too.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Thoughts??

throttlefinger · 15/04/2015 at 22:09

Think you can't go wrong with either JPK or Mundy, Brewmaster. Both steady ton masters. First year I haven't had both on my team. Big scores won't come in bunches but they'll deliver most rounds than not. And rarely go down with injury.

Right now struggling with the same sort of move to Sloane or the long-term trading benefits of going to Bont. Hmmmm.

Brewmaster · 15/04/2015 at 22:20

No doubt Beams will find his feet, but I'm not that patient. A weakness of mine, and always loved picking the best from the best teams. Both Swans and Freos mids are looking strong.

Beams may drop 30k and Mundy add 30k so makes the decision easier.

It seems I've talked myself into the clean hands of Mundy.

Thanks for reply, best of luck.

Brewmaster · 15/04/2015 at 22:28

Bonts is a must I think.

I started with Bonts and Sloane, both are awesome to watch. So good luck with picking one over the other. Sloanes consistant 120+ are too hard to ignore.

throttlefinger · 15/04/2015 at 22:30

Same impatience, I'm afraid. As long it isn't rage trading and you're backing your decision with a firm understanding of what the gains and losses could be, can't fault that. That said, I've given myself just this corrective. No more. Backing the rest of the premos.

Best of luck to you, Brewy!

Mac · 15/04/2015 at 19:51

If Cripps doesn't come in this week is it time to trade him to someone like van Berlo?

Derek · 15/04/2015 at 22:21

Cripps should play. Was just a sore back last week

Jordo · 15/04/2015 at 20:23

Saad or McGrath for the Lambert straight swap?

keenbutclueless · 15/04/2015 at 21:40

I like McGrath. Lower price, will generate more cash. St Kilda have had a good start, but from their line up, I would expect them to go backwards a bit and Saad to get a bit more starved of opportunity. McGrath is actually playing down back for Brisbane, so I reckon his points (and therefore cash generation) might hold up better.

John · 15/04/2015 at 20:31

G'day community, I've got a bit of a dilemma here, is it worth me keeping Gibbo in my backline, frawley out for 4-6 could impact his output and there are more reliable options out there smith, simpson and birchall, I tend to stay away from sideways trades but the prospect of straight swapping Gibson, for a proven premo is very tempting.

Jordo · 15/04/2015 at 20:41

Your first priority this week should be getting rid in the rookies with the lowest BE's and disposing of injured players eg. Ablett. I'd stick fat for a couple of rounds to track his scoring patterns without Frawley, and Gibbo won't change in price until after round four anyway.

Derek · 15/04/2015 at 22:20

Gibbo will be ok. The Spranger will be back this week, or even Shoemmaker

Liam · 15/04/2015 at 20:40

Can someone tell me how to calculate how much a player will rise in price of they meet their breaking even? Thanks

keenbutclueless · 15/04/2015 at 20:44

I am only missing one rookie – Oxley. But I am only playing 1 def rook (with KK at D5)
I can trade KK and Cripps – but only want to do so if I can create a keeper. There are really only three available choices for me – Fisher in Def (ave 110.5), Bont or Ziebell. I know there is views for and against Bont being a keeper. I am a nay. Does anyone else think that either Fisher or Ziebell can be keepers? Fisher is a past gun – does he have enough in the tank to go the full season? Ziebell has all the tools to be a gun, but finds ways not to get there. can this be his year?

Derek · 15/04/2015 at 22:14

Go Cripps to Oxley. Using Saad as a swing

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 08:26

At various stages had Ziebel in preseason but of the three you mention I think Bont is the only likely keep at F6/M8-9

Seb · 15/04/2015 at 20:45

With brisbane not looking to win many games this season, and beams not having those elite players around him anymore, is beams worth trading out?
If so, who do you guys think I should trade him to?

tom · 15/04/2015 at 21:08

he still scored 108 in his first game. I know he only scored 70 this week but dont think it is worth trading him.

dannyyboyy · 15/04/2015 at 21:53

if this is what you consider one of the weaknesses of your side then you are cruising bud, take a breath and HOLD

Brewmaster · 15/04/2015 at 22:43

Hi Seb, I'm considering the same. Beams just hasn't clicked at the Den. If yr got all the right rookies then go for it.

Brewmaster · 15/04/2015 at 22:44

JPK, Sloane, Barlow and even Mundy look the best replacements.

Good luck.

Tom · 15/04/2015 at 20:51

Need to field two of these: CEY, Vandenberg, Van Berlo, Heeney.

Who will score highest?

keenbutclueless · 15/04/2015 at 20:55

with Adelaide playing Melbourne, its hard to go past CEY and Van Berlo

Charlesy · 15/04/2015 at 21:05

Cey and vb versus Melbourne in Adelaide mate. I’d go with them

Brook · 15/04/2015 at 21:25

Thinking of bringing in a def rookie for Goodes. Gave all the good ones. If one is named thud week may jump on him but having emg loophole option may bd good for a few weeks. Thinking rainbow from Carl may be an option as he is sure to play once after mick milestone game when they are 0-6 or thereabouts. Goddard anc hamling are options but not sold as I think they are KPPs. Thoughts?

keenbutclueless · 15/04/2015 at 21:37

Goodes will still make money, so better to keep. If you are not trading him for cash generation, but only to create a loophole, I don't think that is worth a trade.. Better to wait to trade him when another def rook is on the bubble

Derek · 15/04/2015 at 22:12

If you had some coin, whitecross

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 08:28

Hope your right. Carlton have confirmed Mick for rest of the year so pretty sure they will finish bottom of ladder below Saints. Sooner they start putting time in to the rookies the better.

Locked and Loaded · 15/04/2015 at 21:38

Community need some advice a sneeky move is on the cards need to know your thoughts.

Gaz to Van Berlo/ Rich/ Newton/ Sheed?
Cockatoo to Bont/ Bennell
??
Will use Bont or Bennell as a keepe who I'll swing into forwards once my forward rookies have generated enough cash to upgrade to premo mid!

Derek · 15/04/2015 at 22:10

That’s just the same as cockatoo to NVB and Gaz to the Bont. Lots doing that.

Locked and Loaded · 15/04/2015 at 22:24

Yeah sounds better my way haha asking if Bennell is a better option than Bont

shaun · 15/04/2015 at 21:47

Anyone thoughts on these trades?

Beams to Rich
Goodes to b.smith/gibson

possible good cash generation while bolstering my backline.
thoughts?

keenbutclueless · 15/04/2015 at 21:53

might be better to wait and see if Smith actually plays this week. Good chance he wont. With Gibson missing last week, you could find yourself in the position of having one more week to pull the trigger. With Goodes low BE, you might make some cash by delaying it one week. Still pull the trigger on the first one though, just save the second for a week.

shaun · 16/04/2015 at 11:11

thanks heaps mate, which one should i trade this week though the rich and d.beams one? goodes BE is 67 if hes sub though he probs will go down in price what do you think?

keenbutclueless · 16/04/2015 at 15:35

I reckon the Rich Beams trade this week.
        If you go Gibson – you can wait until Sunday – with WB playing Haw, you can wait to see if Goodes is named sub first. More tricky if Smith is named – but I reckon there is a strong chance he wont be.

shaun · 16/04/2015 at 18:29

awesome thanks mate, noone else has backed me on tradding out beams but i just see alot a value in terms of money gain to be had

Higgo · 15/04/2015 at 22:22

Does Minson need to go at a BE of 140

Cozza · 16/04/2015 at 09:30

If you brought him in as a keeper, then no. BE is irrelevant if he is staying in your side all year.

Caz · 16/04/2015 at 01:48

Hi community, does anyone think with the possible return of scott Thompson that nvb scoring may suffer due to this.

I N Pieman · 16/04/2015 at 08:07

Possibly but he’s still going to make a pretty reasonable amount of cash over the next few weeks. If your uncertain put him on the pine

Crowls · 16/04/2015 at 08:30

Hadnt thought of that. Bloody well hope not. Now I have 2 days to review my options…

Gilly · 16/04/2015 at 09:35

I took a punt on Rohan Bewick as a smoky mid price option in the back line and he has been a bit smelly so far. So do I hold my nerve and hope that he turns things around and starts to average closer to 75 than his current 45. Options I am looking at are Rory Laird and Shane Savage, any thoughts?

keenbutclueless · 16/04/2015 at 15:31

Considered McDonald from Melbourne? Of the 2 options you are considering, I think Savage might be the better choice, but McDonald might be better than both of them.

Gilly · 16/04/2015 at 18:45

Thanks KBC, I had looked at McDonald, I read/heard someone saying that yes he has had a good start but from now on he will have to play more key position and his output may drop but thanks again for the suggestion.

Bruds · 16/04/2015 at 19:14

i'm liking the look of laird gilly, only 300k but Adelaide have had their own pill in the first two games so i can imagine him dropping to scores of around 60 in a more contested physical game so i'm steering clear

Gilly · 16/04/2015 at 20:47

Cheers Bruds, I haven’t seen any of Adelaide’s games to see what role he is playing but at 300k and averaging better than 90 it’s tempting

Brillsy21 · 16/04/2015 at 12:30

Is it worth sideways trading Michael Johnson to Alex Rance??

Locked and Loaded · 16/04/2015 at 12:45

Wouldn't think so no!!

Brillsy21 · 16/04/2015 at 13:02

al of my rookies are set and the only other issues I have are Goodes and Cripps?

Charlesy · 16/04/2015 at 14:41

I reckon Goodes may play this week mate. The dogs will need strong bodies v the Hawks and if he’s picked I doubt they’d make him sub again. If he’s picked I’m going to have him on field with Brown the emergency. I’ve traded out Cripps due to the doubts on his back injury. Just a couple of thoughts for you to consider

Locked and Loaded · 16/04/2015 at 12:50

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Bontempelli struggling while being tagged by Scott Selwood in round 1 then when was let off the leash after Selwoods injury finished strongly! He ran head to head with Dusty where they both exploded. Not sold on him, he is a freak but has never had to deal with any attention. Teams could continue to run head to head with him but he has proven he is damaging and can't see that happening. Therefore am more inclined to go with Bennell as a downgrade from Gaz and use him as a keeper in my forward line after swinging him there when the time is right, thoughts?

Brillsy21 · 16/04/2015 at 13:03

Probably a good move as Bennel is proven to play better when GAZ is out, best of luck!!

Damian · 16/04/2015 at 13:53

I think Bennell's proven ability to play better in "life without Gaz" is an urban myth. In the games without Ablett last year he averaged 91.6 (with a high of 144 and a low of 35) which is below he current breakeven price.

I will actually be trading Bennell out this round before he slides and pocketing the cash to upgrade a mid pricer to a premium.

But this is what I love most of this game. the variables and the many options available to players.

Locked and Loaded · 16/04/2015 at 14:09

Yep I've noticed that the difference between his floor and ceiling is massive. I am confused if I downgrade to someone in that bracket I need it to be a swing man so 1. I'm not weakening my midfield and 2. This trade will eventually strengthen my forwards.

Locked and Loaded · 16/04/2015 at 14:33

How about moving gray into mids and bringing in Buddy?

Jules · 16/04/2015 at 13:05

Bloody Deledio out again!!! Shouldve traded to the Bont last week as I was thinking. Oh well this wk maybe cant trust Lids with his injury

Beato · 16/04/2015 at 13:27

Ablett and crisp for Lewis and Bont!! Woo hoo!

Charlesy · 16/04/2015 at 14:43

That’s brilliant Beato. Great work.

Josh Lyons · 16/04/2015 at 14:36

Lift Dex. Bring a value trade that is a bit more clever and less obvious. Every man and their dog has Bont high on their radar….

keenbutclueless · 16/04/2015 at 15:26

which is in fact why the article was absolutely necessary. we all needed some informed opinion, which Dex provided in spades.

BlakeyP · 16/04/2015 at 15:39

How bout you give some better input then complaining about the work someone else has takin the time to do

Gilly · 16/04/2015 at 18:59

Perhaps you could be clever Josh and make an alternative suggestion to the Bont. Or are you just wanting someone to spoon feed you the information?

Josh · 17/04/2015 at 00:06

Not backing down from this being a space filler article.

Charlesy · 16/04/2015 at 14:47

Ok people all week I’ve debated these two trades. Gaz and Cripps out for 1. Shiel and Bont or 2. Sloane and NVB. Thoughts from the wise?

keenbutclueless · 16/04/2015 at 15:20

I would goy option 2. Option 2 has one guaranteed keeper, Option 1 has 2 chances at keepers. Option 1 might be higher risk, higher reward, but might also burn 2 trades further down the track. If you didn't burn any trades in Rd 2, then maybe take the risk on Option 1, but if you burnt trades in Rd2 then shore it up with Option 2

The big dog · 16/04/2015 at 14:59

Thoughts on downgrading Luke Parker to the Bont? Parker hasn't shown a lot of his 2014 form as and will depreciate in value?

keenbutclueless · 16/04/2015 at 15:23

he was going great in Rd 1 – on track for a 140+ score. Not too much of a surprise to see him struggle next game back. Probably shouldn't have played. I would keep, reckon he is a gun. Also, you are probably trading a guaranteed keeper into a maybe keeper. Not sure the reward is worth the risk

Conor · 16/04/2015 at 18:27

Hold.

Gilly · 16/04/2015 at 18:52

I’d hold Parker he is a definite keeper. The Bont looks like being a lock and load in future seasons I think your trade would be better spent elsewhere.

keenbutclueless · 16/04/2015 at 15:16

See that Jack Viney for Melbourne is out for a month. Thinking that Vandenberg might get that role now. While it increases js, maybe his scores might suffer. Price will still go up, but maybe it makes him more of a bench option, than on the field.

nick · 16/04/2015 at 15:39

so anyway my team is as follows and will stay for the year unless I get hurt players.

Backs k McIntosh r murphy j newnes h taylor a Oxley g Ibbotson bench saad and ramsey

mids n fyfe lewis b ebert d rich d swan j selwood n vanberlow I heeney cye j nelson n cockatoo

rucks mumford maric

fwds bomp dahilhaus benell Hogan clark hawk bench membrey lamb what u guys reckon think this team might take me to the top I took clem smith out for vanberlow and lambert out for cye

Dee · 16/04/2015 at 18:20

Great work Dex! Good on ya mate….

eatemalive · 16/04/2015 at 18:28

LEUENBERGER omitted

KJU FC · 16/04/2015 at 18:33

Cripps starting in the middle.
HOLD for me

tom · 16/04/2015 at 18:36

Tom Lamb not named for west coast.

Is this a worry? Should we trade?

Jacob · 16/04/2015 at 19:22

Im thinking Lamb to Byrne next week. Dont think Lambs gonna get much time this year and when he does hell be sub. Byrnes looking like a great corrective, FWD/DEF swing which is also very handy.

Tyler · 16/04/2015 at 18:45

Whitecross named for hawthorn. Possible rookie option now? Goodes to Whitecross??

Gilly · 16/04/2015 at 18:56

Only on extended bench, I think prime sub candidate when he gets back. Clarko loves him so will play but I would take the short term hit on Goodes, think he is in doggies best 22

Azza · 16/04/2015 at 19:08

Wait until Whitecross plays his 2nd game before even considering him.

Stickman · 16/04/2015 at 18:58

The teams are up and I'm thinking Gaz to the Teen Wolf and Lids to Gray.
Thoughts?

Bruds · 16/04/2015 at 19:10

Outstanding decision, they'll be keepers for the rest of the year and be top of their positions for mine.

Dunno · 16/04/2015 at 19:24

Who’s teen wolf?

Stickman · 16/04/2015 at 19:27

Fyfe

Dunno · 16/04/2015 at 19:28

Cheers

harry · 16/04/2015 at 19:01

Should I trade Cripps to RIch?

Bruds · 16/04/2015 at 19:09

i'd hold, cripps is named centre so should get a decent score and it's not worth a trade and 120k to go up to rich because he's not a keeper

Bruds · 16/04/2015 at 19:11

Just curious if Jaden McGrath or Jack Lonie are on anyone's radar. Averaging 61.5 and 55 is anyone bringing one of them in for the injured Lambert?

Jacob · 16/04/2015 at 19:23

Started with Lonie which im very pleased with. Wish i started with McGrath. Looks a very good pick!

Bruds · 16/04/2015 at 19:28

great call with Lonie, i've got Lambert sitting there and am just weighing up if a trade is worth bringing one of these boys in

Gilly · 16/04/2015 at 20:52

Started with Lonie but have the Lambert problem as well, thinking about McGrath but Krakour has been named this week, if he gets a game I might hold off and watch his first two games.

Fletcher · 16/04/2015 at 19:12

Docherty or Rance??

Bruds · 16/04/2015 at 19:18

I think both will average around 85-90 by the end of the year. Rance has averaged that consistently in seasons past whereas Docherty is more of a risk but for 60k less i'd take Docherty

Nash · 16/04/2015 at 19:18

Goodies to oxaly or Cripps to Van berlo?? Help

Jacob · 16/04/2015 at 19:24

Goodes to Oxley for me. Everybodies jumping of Cripps but i dont see the point. He had ONE average game. I still see him as a great pick.

Bruds · 16/04/2015 at 19:30

Absolutely Jacob, people went straight off cripps last week but he's named in the gutts and i have no doubt that he can pump out 80-100 this week

SwagBoy420 · 16/04/2015 at 20:10

He got 78, 106, 119 in the nab with an average of 74% TOG. I'm pretty confident in him. Could be a great POD

Fletcher · 16/04/2015 at 19:19

Thanks mate!

Dunno · 16/04/2015 at 19:26

Pick 2 to play on field out of mcintosh, oxley and saad

Bruds · 16/04/2015 at 19:33

Saad has geelong whereas ox and mcintosh have st.kilda and brisbane so i'd say them. Saad has been the most consistent out of the 3 but i think he'll have to play a tighter defensive job this week and not be allowed as many touches

NutSack · 16/04/2015 at 19:32

annnnnnnndddddddddd…. the ruck problems begin. Leunburger dropped and cant see him getting back in. Ouch

Thomas · 16/04/2015 at 20:31

Rich and Martin or Cripps Bont and 300k

smohkey · 16/04/2015 at 22:53

I'm predicting the Bont will average 105-110+ by the end of the year regardless of where he's averaging by the bye – the kid is the real deal. Solid rookie keeper like Wines and Polec last year. Traded him out before round 1 to bring in some missing rookies and Dusty but happy to be able to bring him in before he appreciates.

cross fingers he don't go and injure himself

Should we be aware of bringing in under performing premiums around the bye or take the gamble? I held Swan for far too long last year which cost me big time

Mister_Spock · 17/04/2015 at 00:48

G'Day Community,

Strongly considering the Bont, think he's potentially a keeper at F6 but struggling to fit him into my side. Bulldogs have a decent run in the SC finals, playing Demons (139 last year), Eagles (126 this year), North (139 last year) and Brisbane (potential wooden spooners). Risks such as 2nd year blues or future tagging is outweighed I think by the potential reward.

As I see it, I currently have the following options:

1. Gaz to Sloane | Cripps to Bont via Lambert swing (leaves me with a non-playing rookie on the bench, 3 on field rookies)
2. Gaz to Dangerfield | Touk Miller to Bont (again swing Lambert into mod)
3. Gaz to Shiel | Lambert to Bont

I'm still not sold on either option. Not keen on trading out Cripps in case he goes big like he did in pre-season, Option 2 makes most sense as Danger is a keeper (although I feel as though Sloane will have the bigger year), but Miller still has low break even. Option 3 is the most risky bringing in 2 unknowns.

Keen to get some feedback – should I go with Option 2, or just bring in Sloane and build the war chest to use once my cash cows have fattened, and potentially bring in Bont as a matured premo ($550K+) once he has proven himself over 7-8 rounds??