Geelong went in full strength, Carlton were missing a few guns & fantasy coaches everywhere panicked when they saw Bartel named sub – but rest easy folks – he won’t start sub in season proper.
The game started almost ping-pong like. Blues kicked forward – Geelong rebounded and kicked forward, only for Blues to clear and repeat. Eventually young Menzel snagged a nice super-goal and the dam walls burst. The cats pulled out to a 5 goal lead, but the blues pegged them back and a relatively even match ensued. For a bonus to Carlton – Judd looks to have wound the clock back. In the end though; Carlton were missing 6 players from their A-team and the cats won by 19 points.
Absent Best 22 Players
Carlton: Yarran, Kreuzer, Simpson, Gibbs, Walker, Casboult
Geelong: Essentially Best 22 on-field.
- Patrick Cripps (MID, $211,400) – Lock him in Eddie! The highest possession getter today. Has shown us this pre-season that he has turned up to play. Seems to be Judd’s heir-apparent. Their new extractor. I still think he is a vest risk though (he bloody shouldn’t after today!). Could kick more and use it better, but for 211k – he gets the ball plenty enough to make us the coin we need. LOCK. Finished with 32 disposals at 62.5% efficiency, 6 marks (1 contested), 4 tackles, 5 clearances, 1 inside 50, 1 rebound 50 and 1 goal 1 for 119 Supercoach Points.
- Chris Judd (MID, $486,900) – Seriously considering Cee-Judd as my M7 – in the hope he starts well and averages 105+ and in the process making me some money to move on to an ultra-premium. Looks to have wound back the clock, bursting from packs and running out games. At 486k, he’s under-priced. Was subbed out at 3QT with 18 Disposals at 61.1% efficiency, 2 marks (1 contested), 1 tackle, 6 clearances, 6 inside 50’s and 2 rebound 50’s.
- Joel Selwood (MID, $649,900) – Did what Selwood does best – Ducked. No, in all seriousness, he just dug in, extracted the pill and tackled. Spotted Carrazzo running off him a few times, but don’t think he was seriously tagging him. You know what you get with Selwood. Currently locked in my Midfield. Finished with 28 Disposals at 71.4% efficiency, 1 mark, 6 tackles, 8 clearances, 2 inside 50’s, 1 rebound 50 and a goal for 111 Supercoach points.
- Nakia Cockatoo (Mid, $177,300) – Did some nice things and set up a nice goal. This guy will be something. If he plays, he’s a big vest candidate. At 177k, he will generate cash – but there is a decent assortment of rookies to pick from at a cheaper price, pass for me. Finished with 7 disposals at 100% efficiency, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 2 inside 50’s and a goal.
- Troy Menzel (FWD, $272,400) – Carlton’s Chad Wingard (minus the exuberant marking, so far). Very good goal-sneak that can run through the guts – roosted a super-goal early in the piece, got into it a bit, but I’d want more from a 272k player. Nice to watch – but the awkward price has me put off. Finished with 14 disposals at 50% efficiency, 8 marks (1 contested), 3 tackles, 2 inside 50’s, 1 super-goal and 2 goals 2.
- Mitch Clark (FWD, $155,200) – Was barely sighted in the first quarter, he had Jacksch keeping him company most of the game. Took some great marks, kicked a few goals – did what we want from a rookie priced player. Also played a bit in the ruck – getting 9 hitouts. Locked in for mine. Massive ceiling and excellent JS – Everything you need. His game finished with what looked like a dislocated finger – but he should be ok for round 1. Finished with 11 disposals at 72.7% efficiency, 3 marks (2 contested), 4 tackles and 3 goals 1 for 97 Supercoach Points.
- Blaine Boekhorst (DEF, $132,300) – Didn’t really do much. I don’t think I spotted him all game. He may not even get a gig early. Pass for mine. Finished with 7 disposals at 85.7% efficiency, 1 mark, 1 tackle and a clearance for 25 Supercoach Points.
- Dale Thomas (FWD/MID, $406,600) – Unlike Higgo – I’m not excited by his prospects. Maybe it’s my bitterness as a Collingwood supporter, but what I do know is he won’t be a top 10 forward. Because of this; he’ll need to be a stepping stone player. He’ll need to average 85+ just to make 50k – but that’s just my opinion. Did a little bit today, kicked a goal and ran around a bit. Finished with 18 disposals at 72.2% efficiency, 4 marks, 0 tackles and 1 rebound 50.
- Jimmy Bartel (FWD $549,000) – Started as sub and still did wonders. A solid pick for F1 this year I think. “Junk-time” Jimmy was subbed on after half-time and remarkably finished with 22 disposals at 86.4% efficiency, 6 marks, 2 tackles and 3 inside 50’s for 92 Supercoach points from only 47% ToG.
- Harry Taylor (DEF, $446,900) – Played majority back, but I did see him kick towards goal a few times. With the options provided to us down back, Taylor finds himself as a relevant mid-price option this year. Didn’t disappoint. Finished with 21 disposals at 90.5% efficiency, 10 marks, 2 tackles, 3 inside 50’s and 4 rebound 50’s.
Alright, folks, that’ll be it from me. For those who watched the games, did any other performances stand out to you as significant? Or see anything that completely put you off a player? Let us know in the comments below!