NAB Supercoach Significance Report – WB v COLL
Luke Beveridge – a man of genuine integrity as an aside – will be very pleased with what he saw from his proud club here this evening.
And one of his charges – Marcus “The Bont” Bontempeli (FWD/MID $422,300) might sneak into a few forward lines based on what we’ve seen over the last few weeks.
The Bont went head to head with Pendlebury early – and I kid you not – he absolutely wiped the floor with him. He’d had 15 touches, a goal and 50 Supercoach points to quarter time and finished with 29 possessions 9 tackles, 3 goals and 132 Supercoach points. And he’s still a bloody teenager.
He was solid against Richmond (92SC). Came home in the second half v Melbourne (62SC). And I believe we saw the first revelation of the Supercoach beast he is destined to one day become here this evening.
Superstar alert here community. Unlikely to make my team with the likes of Dane Swan commanding selection at a similar price – but I’m now completely confident to class The Bont as a fantasy relevant player.
Interested to hear from you if you’re locking him in – personally I don’t feel he’ll have the consistency we require. While he didn’t maintain that early momentum the damage he imparted early won the game for his team.
Absent players of significance:
Western Bulldogs – Stewart Crameri, Clay Smith, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter, Nathan Hrovat
Collingwood – Jordan De Goey, Patrick Karnezis, Ben Reid, Ben Kennedy, Tim Broomhead, Jarrod Witts, Clinton Young, Brent Macaffer, Lachie Keefe, Sam Dwyer, Big Cox, Nathan Freeman
- Joel Hamling (WBD DEF $123,900) started with the snot vest but was on early for Johannisen. Encouraging to see him named in this round 1 dress rehearsal and there will be a role for him at the kennel based on what we saw tonight. Just the 12 possessions but really impressed me. Could be a suppository to sooth our defensive preseason haemorrhoid and is now a very real option at D7 or D8. Showed poise, showed ability to read the ball in flight, did some very nice things. Inserted into my team.
- Adam Oxley (COLL DEF $123,900) was very solid in an evening.. stuff me.. are we getting some defensive rookie relief here? Defended well on Dixon then went inside 50 enough to be noticeable. Did his round 1 chances no harm at all. Granted – would have to be under selection pressure with a few similar types missing this evening for Collingwood – but had it 21 times and was influential.
- Taylor Adams (COLL MID $378,500) can hold his head up after tonight and has been super impressive all preseason. I’d suggest he was Collingwood’s best – but it would be an individual of significant plum girth to back him in at this awkward price in the guts. 31 possessions at just 58% effectiveness.
- Mitch Wallis (WBD MID $340,700) did not tag tonight yet again (no Dogs have mind you) but nothing has happened that may otherwise hose down talk that Beveridge plans to release him from the scrapper role this year. Libba’s down. They need extractors. He’s been on my mind all preseason and still is.
- Jack Macrae (WBD MID $538,800) continued his relentless rise to significance with another industrious game this evening for 111 Supercoach points. As Higgo mentioned after his hitout v Richmond – was ranked second for uncontested possessions in 2014 and averaged 110 in his last six games. A vicious and savage collector of the pill – question mark for me is his ceiling, kick to handball ratio and his ability to outperform his starting price by enough to be considered.
- Jason Johannisen (WBD DEF $344,500) was knocked out early. Took no further part in the game and will be under a cloud and at the very least underdone for round 1. Could open that rookie list elevation door that bit further for Brett Goodes (DEF $245,200) who started on a wing and was super impressive for 19 touches and 122 Supercoach points.
- Will Minson (WBD RUC $501,400) absolutely dominated the hitouts (50 of the bastards) and found form around the ground the longer the game went on. 123 Supercoach points this evening. Feeble opposition in Brodie Grundy and Gault late in the game but remains my POD R1 selection. I believe in you this year my flute wielding friend.
- Corey Gault (COLL FWD $249,400) was elevated off the rookie list during the week. Started with the snot vest and kept it on till late in the 3rd quarter. At this price and with what we have on offer up forward this year he can’t be considered.
- Caleb Daniel (WBD FWD $117,300) started sub tonight and came on early in the 3rd quarter. The tiny helmeted nugget who captained the South Australian under 18s was lively enough in an up and about Doggies outfit. In my team – but concerned about the vest likelihood.
- Bob Murphy (WBD DEF $475,700) couldn’t give a stuff about the length of his teeth – he just keeps getting it done. I know some good mates who are considering him this year.
- Lin Jong (WBD MID $273,200) has asserted himself as best 18 this preseason and was solid enough tonight with 20 odd possessions. Not at this price for me.
Flaccid Performances & Significant omissions
- Dane Swan (COLL FWD $464,500) was ordinary tonight. Don’t make rash decisions based on tonight as this man is a seasoned warhorse with little to prove in a NAB Challenge hitout.. but would like to have seen a solid showing from Dane so close to kick off. Still locked in. 88 Supercoach points.
- Patrick Karnezis (COLL FWD $133,500). Put a line through him. Missed his chance last week to stake a round 1 claim and fluffed it. Didn’t play tonight and will not be selected in my team round 1. Hope the kid can save his career this season.
- Levi Greenwood (COLL MID $506,100) did his ankle and is very unlikely to be there round 1 she looks a bad one. Regardless – was very ordinary till that point.