Will you entertain a break out candidate in your midfield? Swallow
Will you be running with a fallen Premium? Cotchin
Will you be risking it with a POD forward? Ziebell, Reiwoldt
Will you be starting with a stepping stone value mid option? Wells, Bastinac
Will you be going for some value in your defense? Hunt, Thomspon, Vlastuin, McMillan, McDonald
WILL YOU BE STARTING WITH SHAUN HIGGINS?
Absent Best 22 players;
Richmond – Miles, Newman, Foley
North – Waite, Hansen, Daw, Grima, Nahas, McMahon
- Cotchin, Trent (MID $546,500) Priced right in-between Dangerfield and Griffin, it is time to make a call on one of these types in your starting squad. Trent averaged 116 in 2012. Picking him in your team can only be entertained if you feel he can get back to this form. Played his usual inside game today and was a key playmaker but I can’t pick him as I don’t see him ending up in the top 10 scoring midfielders. Ran without much of a tag today which will not happen in the season proper.
- Reiwoldt, Jack (FWD $450,800)A big spend but his form has been very solid. Coming off his first uninterrupted preseason he looks very fit and mobile. Today he was challenged by a very solid defensive unit and stepped up with a dominant performance. Having averaged just 64 against the Roos over the past four years, is this a strong sign that he can perform more than 10 points above his starting price point of 75? Could he be this year’s Bruyn Manoeuvre?
- Martin, Dustin (FWD/MID $534,900)With the return of Trent Cotchin today we saw a more realistic view of his role this year … and he was fantastic again. Perhaps the hype is true this year. Perhaps he does have a “bigger tank”. For the first time of the entire preseason, I am considering having him in my team.
- Deledio, Brett (FWD/MID $553,300)Looking fit contrary to reports of an achilles problem. At some stage you will need him in your team. The question is, do you think you will be able to get him at a cheaper price? A more consistent option than Dusty. Looking like an excellent starting option.
- Lambert, Kane (FWD/MID $102,400)No Foley – in a fight for Thomas to be elevated. Was very quite and looked a little lost on a day where defense was not high on North’s agenda. Even started in the middle at times. At his price, an elevation makes him a lock – no need to read too much into today’s game.
- Maric, Ivan (RUC $535,900)Great contest with Goldstein today. In terms of hitouts – very even. Around the ground he was once again solid with good possession and tackle counts.
- Hunt, Taylor (DEF $290,300)A quiet game as he played a defensive tag role on Higgins. Gave us insight into what we can expect during the season proper – 60’s. While he won’t lose us cash, he won’t offer us any value in my opinion.
- McIntosh, Kamdyn (DEF $123,900)With Chris Newman to miss early games there is a good chance that McIntosh gets a run. He was good against Port with a 71 and solid again today. Possibly a rare defensive rookie option for us. If he is named around Round One lock him in.
- Higgins, Shaun (DEF/FWD $410,900) As I am sure you are aware, Higgins has been in my team for the entire preseason. Today I was desperate to get one more look at his role within his new team. In NAB 1 he played as a forward and did the same again today with some time in the midfield. He offers North a skilful and mobile forward option. He was dangerous and had a hard tag in Hunt but still managed to kick goals and apply forward pressure with a high tackle count. Still in my team!
- Swallow, Andrew (MID $500,600)Potential breakout candidate who is priced with Tyson and a little cheaper than Crouch & Wines. Decision time. Against the Hawks he scored a 95 from just 65% game time. Today he was serviceable with good tackle count and contested ball. Definitely relevant this year. Priced to average 93, I feel he will surely get to 105 this year.
- Wells, Daniel (MID $361,400) Fact: Wells has averaged 90 SuperCoach points in his 222 games of football and comes in priced to average 75. Today he was very good and could be considered as an M5 to enable coaches to go deeper in defense – an important consideration for this year in my opinion. He may be finding his way into my team.
- Jack Ziebell (FWD/MID $449,600)Was dominant early. Went off with a shoulder injury only to come on to get a heavy hit – likely a concussion. Started in a lot of centre bounces and will be unique selection, possibly even more so now given this injury.
- Jacobs, Ben (DEF $258,500)Another good game with reasonable possession and tackle counts. Point of difference still to be considered.
- Goldstein, Todd (RUC $574,400) Clearly the number one ruck who will be supported at times by Brown. Dominated and as Crouching pointed out, “GoldyLock” is a very solid R1 option. Shared the hitouts but had mare hitouts to advantage than Maric. Offered plenty around the ground with 20+ possessions – remarkable for a ruckman. Must be considered as your R1.
- Thompson, Scott (DEF $422,300) Shut down role. No.
- McDonald, Luke (DEF $354,800) Tackle number good and played his role so has good job security. Should hold his value, yet others appeal more.
Over to you community – what significance did you extract from the game?