NAB Supercoach Significance Report – PORT v ADEL
Today both Adelaide and Port Adelaide fought hard all game long. Both teams were clearly focussing on defensive pressure and converting that into scoring opportunities. This is good for the game and this is good for our Supercoach teams. Both teams were missing some of their best 22 but today gave us a clear picture of how they will play in 2015.
Absent best 22:
Port: Wingard, Hartlett, Trengove, Ryder, Monfries
Adelaide: Jaensch, Podsiadly, Reilly, Thompson, Otten, Kerridge
- Boak, Travis MID ($568,200) was arguably Port’s best on ground. Amassed the ball at will and had 10 tackles. Massive POD and wouldn’t expect him to get as many disposals when Wingard, Hartlett or Monfries are back in the team but geez he looked good.
- Ebert, Brad (MID $506,700) has been spotted in a few teams on the Jock forums. I don’t think he’s a bad selection but he will fight for possessions given the midfield he plays in. Kicks more than handballs which I like, tackles hard and hits the scoreboard. Would prefer selecting him to Crouch after today.
- Gray, Robbie (FWD/MID $596,900) is worth every dollar. Commentators compared him to Gary Ablett and deservedly so. He had 29 disposals and 2 goals. Didn’t even seem to be going at 100% effort, if you can get him into your side do so.
- Wines, Ollie (MID $539,200) is an excitement machine. Had 32 possessions and 7 tackles, the only downside is that 22 of his disposals were handballs meaning he only had 10 kicks. If the Crouch v Wines discussion is still happening it is surely over now, good selection.
- Broadbent, Matthew (DEF $440,800) did the same as last week, played serviceably and did his job. 22 disposals with 14 kicks, this could be the year we chuck him in our backlines and just forget about him. Should average around 80.
- Lobbe, Matthew (RUC $541,300) was up against the best ruckman in the competition and took the challenge on. Had 32 hitouts and 10 disposals but it was his 6 tackles that caught my eye. With Ryder coming back I unfortunately think Lobbe will be a poor supercoach selection, which is a shame given how talented he is for a young bloke.
- Clurey, Tom (DEF $150,00) Didn’t do enough and is too expensive at 150k for a guy who’s only played one game.
- Hombsch, Jack (DEF $359, 400) looked solid today. Probably isn’t a better choice than Broadbent but I will certainly be keeping an eye on him and his role as the season progresses.
- White, Matt (FWD/MID $406,200) is an interesting one. Had the 18 possessions but 15 of them were kicks. Were he a defender I’d look at him but as it stands we have enough forwards and midfielders to choose from.
- Betts, Eddie (FWD $426,600) played in the midfield while Danger sat up forward, looked dangerous when he went forward himself. Averages over 85 when Walker plays, may increase if he gets more midfield time (I don’t see that happening in the real season, too good up forward). Would be a bold selection and probably not a good one. No for our starting teams.
- Dangerfield, Patrick (MID $567,600) played forward for a chunk of the game. Reminds me of when Buddy Franklin was leaving Hawthorn, got moved from the forward line onto a wing, Dangerfield has been moved from the center to the forward line and looks dangerous. Shouldn’t lose value this year, solid POD selection, come the real season he’ll be back in the midfield. Played full forward when Walker went off. 21 touches and kicked 1 goal 4.
- Sloane, Rory (MID $616,900) looked as dangerous as ever in the midfield as well as hitting the scoreboard. The man can do it all, found himself free out the back at center bounces and gathered a few easy clearances but found the inside ball as well. Tackling machine, really want to fit him in my starting team, won’t let you down if you start with him. 22 disposals, 7 tackles and 2 supergoals.
- Crouch, Brad (MID $508,200) looked good at the start of the game but went off with a foot injury at half time. Pure talent but his lack of games still concerns me. Won’t be in my starting team but there is still merit in selecting him if he is fit.
- Smith, Brodie (DEF $502,800) had 14 disposals but not enough to warrant his price tag. You’d want more for 500k, like I suggested in my pre-season review here, Smith might be a better option to pick up later in the year.
- van Berlo, Nathan (MID $215,600) had another middle of the run game. Cripps and Newton look to be the better selections around that 200k price. Wouldn’t be surprised if he goes back to a run-with role despite Adelaide saying he won’t be used as a tagger.
- Ellis-Yolmen, Cam (MID $123,900) after four years at Adelaide he is looking to secure his round 1 position. Played like a beast today, ran hard and tackled harder. Shaping up to be the best midfield rookie for 2015. 26 disposals and 5 tackles.
- Henderson, Ricky (DEF $319,800) had 17 kicks and looked good. Had a few decision errors but cemented himself as a midprice option. Wouldn’t hold it against anyone if they select Henderson at D4/D5.
- Jacobs, Sam (RUC $620,100) did what Sam Jacobs does. Had 33 hitouts against a tough opponent in Lobbe as well as 9 disposals. Not exactly what I want for 600k disposal-wise but if you select him you know what you’ll get in the real season. Good R1 option.
- Walker, Taylor (FWD $430,400) was subbed off late in the game. Looked dangerous kicking 2 goals and a super-goal. Not on my radar for Supercoach, will average around 80 for the year.
Over to you community – what significance did you extract from the game?