Norwood Oval is normally the home of the 3 time reigning SANFL Premiers, the Norwood Redlegs, but today it was hosting the NAB matchup between Port Adelaide and the West Coast Eagles.
It was a close game at times, but the Power managed to run away with it in the 2nd half, winning by 40 points. The Eagles still had some nice passages of play though, so there’s still some we can glean from this game.
Absent Best 22 Players
Port Adelaide: Chad Wingard, Patrick Ryder, Jackson Trengove, Angus Monfries, Jack Hombsch, Jared Polec
West Coast: Nic Naitanui, Jack Darling, Eric MacKenzie, Chris Masten, Shannon Hurn, Scott Selwood
Port Adelaide: Hamish Hartlett (groin)
West Coast: Xavier Ellis (hamstring), Sharrod Wellingham (calf)
- Robbie Gray (FWD/MID, $596,900) – Bloody Class. That’s all you need to say about Robbie Gray today. 28 disposals with an 85% DE, along with 4 clearances, 2 rebound 50’s, 3 tackles and 3.2. Was absolutely everywhere on the ground and is looking like a guy you’ll want locked into your forward line come Round 1 if you can afford him. Had a MASSIVE 166 Supercoach Points today.
- Matt Priddis (MID, $606,200) – Continued to do all the Priddis things that made him the Brownlow winner last season. 26 disposals (and in true Priddis fashion, 18 of them were handballs), @ 81% efficiency, along with 5 clearances, 5 tackles and 2 goal assists. Nothing has changed with Priddis; he’ll be a rock solid Supercoach option in your midfield and likely a bit of a POD as well. 135 Supercoach Points for his game spell quality.
- Matthew Lobbe (RUC, $541,300) – Handled the ruck duties solo for the majority of the game, and showed why he’s such a good pick when he does. 11 disposals, along with 26 hitouts and 7 tackles along with a goal for Lobbe. Will be interesting to see if he can continue putting up good Supercoach scores once Ryder is back in.
- Brad Sheppard (DEF, $359,400) – Uh-oh, another mid-priced defender to add to our watchlists. Had a quality game with 17 disposals at 88% DE, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 5 clearances and 2 rebound 50’s. Ended the day with 115 Supercoach Points.
- Karl Amon (MID, $123,900) – Was a solid hitout for the youngster, he was the starting sub, but came on early when Hartlett was injured and ended up with 53% TOG. Had 15 disposals and kicked a ripper of a running goal. Lots of potential there, so the questions remain. Will he be a consistent 22 threat and will he avoid the sub vests? His play today would suggest he’ll be in the side more often than not.
- Tom Lamb (FWD, $117,300) – Spent most of the game playing up forward, but did spent a bit of time in defence on Justin Westhoff. Looked very composed at times and ended the day with 14 disposals (though with a DE% of 64), 6 marks and kicked a goal to total 82 Supercoach Points. Looks like he may be replacing Darling in the lineup if he’s not good to go in Round 1 and with McGovern being forced to stay down back. Exciting bench prospect.
- Ollie Wines finished with 18 disposals, 5 marks, 4 clearances and 97 Supercoach Points. Not the greatest game from him and he struggled a bit early, but worked his way into the game.
- Travis Boak was also sensational, with 22 disposals, 4 clearances, 5 tackles and 3 Inside 50’s for 111 Supercoach Points
- Scott Lycett spent the majority of his time in the ruck, and ended the day with 9 disposals, 20 hitouts, 2 goals and a couple of great marks, but only scored 66 Supercoach Points.
- Nathan Krakouer only had 38% TOG, but showed why the Power picked him back up with some classy play. He has the same question marks on him as Amon does though, but it’ll be very hard to ignore him at his rock bottom price.
- Justin Westhoff had a decent 1st half, but didn’t do a whole lot in the 2nd. Finished the game with 13 disposals and 4 marks.
- Andrew Gaff found a fair bit of it for the Eagles, but 19 of his 22 disposals were of the uncontested variety. Never going to be a big Supercoach scorer in the middle with stats like that.
- Jeremey McGovern was barely sighted all day. Actually thought he must have been sitting on the bench all day since I never saw him near it, but he ended with 82% TOG and only had 4 disposals and 3 tackles and gave away a pair of free kicks. Not a good look for him in Supercoach.