Jock Reynolds Supercoach GodRyan Griffen goes WHACK

Ryan Griffen (MID $530,700) took to the field in GWS colours for the first time today and delivered the Supercoach world a decisive message. I’m fit. I’m keen. I will tear the competition a new one this year. He delivered 161 points today in a performance that had the GWS faithful reaching for the tissues.

And while we have to be aware that he wasn’t exposed to a hard tag (he will be when the real thing starts) I daresay that those with him in their team will be feeling a lot better about themselves today. Those without him need to have a good hard think.

Absent Best 22 Players:

GWS: Shane Mumford, Adam Treloar, Heath Shaw, Devon Smith, Jon Patton, Tom Scully, Rhys Palmer, Tim Mohr, James Stewart

Gold Coast: Gary Ablett, Charlie Dixon, Jaeger O’Meara, Hallahan, Sam Day, Steven May, Dion Prestia

CLICK HERE TO ORDER YOUR 2015 JOCK REYNOLDS FANTASY FOOTY MAGAZINE

Other significant performances:

• Could Gold Coast lad Adam Saad (MID/DEF $102,400) be a big arse answer to our defence rookie woes? Liked the kid today. Needs to be elevated to the senior list but he looks a find to me. Watch his very closely for the remainder of the preseason. 16 disposals.
  • Cameron McCarthy (FWD $210,700) was vested till Q4 but came on and cut sick. Best 22 from what I saw – regardless of the fact he came on late. 7 disposals, 3 goals and 3 marks in a quarter to the young man.
  • Harley Bennell (MID/FWD $514,600) is one bloke I could watch play all day every day. True – I have a soft spot for this future champion – but he should remain in calculations with his FWD eligibility. 3 classy goals, and was best on for Gold Coast today. Remember there was no GAJ, Jaeger and Prestia today – so hard to get your bearings on him.
  • Nick Malceski (DEF $566,600)was killing em early but I reckon he put the cue in the rack after half time (only touched it twice in the last half). Had it 14 times with 6 marks, most of all that early. Solid NO for me regardless of what he does.
  • The Canberra Cannonball Jack Steele (MID/FWD $117,300) made the tail end of the first rookie cheat sheet. Didn’t come on till late in the third term looks a fair dinkum Ryan Griffen clone. Surprised by his big body – physically he’s ready, only had it a few times but used it very well. Want to see more of him.
  • I reckon Kade Kolodjashnij (DEF $367,600) must have put on 5kgs over summer. Had 20 possessions and 6 marks as one of Gold Coast’s best. Not for me but those looking at him as a DEF pod would be encouraged by today.

Flaccid Performances:

• Both teams for resting so many bloody players. Mumford, Adam Treloar, Heath Shaw, Devon Smith, Scully, Rhys Palmer, Gary Ablett, Charlie Dixon, Jaeger O’Meara, Sam Day, Steven May, Dion Prestia. Give us a spell – the game was structurally stuffed with so many missing so very difficult to extract a great deal out of it.

Over to you community – what significance did you extract from the game?

ARE YOU A CLUB JOCK MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE AND REAP THE BENEFITS

King Menace · 07/03/2015 at 18:59

Kolo could be a lock down back. He looked good. Griff may get a tag during the year but still a solid performance

Jimmy Joe · 07/03/2015 at 19:01

Top stuff Jock. Love your work. Where do you stand on a Wines v Griffen debate for mid 5? Tough call. Cheers mate.

Damien · 07/03/2015 at 19:24

Griffen Mid 5?… you must be spending big time on your midfield… respect!!

Chino · 07/03/2015 at 19:30

Griffen is my M5, i also have TMitch at F5!

Adnan · 07/03/2015 at 20:43

i have Van Berlo as M5 :D, choosing to stock up in the backline with no cash cows at back

@LekBlog · 07/03/2015 at 21:29

Griffen has been my m5 all year #GetLekt

TheLiamNeesons · 08/03/2015 at 16:47

That is an interesting thought. I hadn't given much thought to stacking the back line. Thanks for giving me something to ponder

@t_woof · 07/03/2015 at 22:43

No brainer, even before today. Griffen.

t_mitch · 08/03/2015 at 03:09

griffin has m5 written all over him guys, lock it in, 180 in his last game last year then 160 in his first hit out this year LOCK LOCK LOCK

themisfitssc · 11/03/2015 at 19:43

i went griffen mid 5

@t_woof · 07/03/2015 at 19:05

Griffen is healthy.

Crossed off the GC Ruck's off my short list.

Shezza · 07/03/2015 at 19:08

Beneell's left foot goal in the 2nd quarter was unreal. I noticed Toby Greene played on wing, high forward today and not in the guts as much as he has in the past. Griffen played a great game but as Jock said, no hard tag on him.

Sharker · 07/03/2015 at 19:11

How did Toby Greene go?

Shezza · 07/03/2015 at 19:32

He was serviceable and Terry Wallace kept banging on how if he was on the GWS coaching panel, he would get Toby Greene to focus more on his ball use instead of accumulating possessions. Having said that, when guns like Treloar and maybe even Dev Smith come back into the midfield, Greene could rack them up on the wing so he is worth watching.

@t_woof · 07/03/2015 at 22:48

Plough did have a point…..Tobes does turn over the ball too much.

MarcoPolo · 07/03/2015 at 19:13

Great analysis jock! just as you pointed out very important not to get too high on our arousal curves with all those key players missing. However as i was already weighing up griffen, it's now going to be very difficult not to select him…

Tom · 07/03/2015 at 19:15

How did Zac smith go? And do you think griffin would get the tag over ward?

Shezza · 07/03/2015 at 19:22

Yes, for sure. Zac Smith wasn't noticeable. He shared ruck duties with Nicholls. Both don't warrant to be on your watchlist IMO. They were up against two young ruckmen who held their own.

Matt in Sydney · 07/03/2015 at 23:01

I went down today, Zac smith was ok, 100% their number 1 ruckman, moved as well as ive since since hi first year. there are some many great GWS mids im not sure who i would tag. Grif copped a tag in 2013 and still avg 116. do opposition teams tag devon smith or coniglio who you might have a better chance of shutting down.

Phil · 08/03/2015 at 00:07

Ward and Treloar copped it a little bit too but won't anymore

HFerg · 07/03/2015 at 19:15

Jack Martin do anything?

Matt in Sydney · 07/03/2015 at 23:03

martin did a bit, has put on a little bit of muscle, not sure id be starting him fwd.

Shezza · 07/03/2015 at 19:39

I know the lads have banged on about Hampton prior to the pre season commencing, he is worth putting on your watch lists. He looks stronger through the hips and legs and takes on the opposition and did a few nice things today.

vcloophole · 08/03/2015 at 14:12

And he's an ELITE ball user Shezza. Only needs it 20 times to post a big score. Reminds me a lot of Hurn in that respect.

Jacko · 07/03/2015 at 20:16

What do u fellas reckon about Trent Mckenzie??

JoeWoolcock · 07/03/2015 at 21:31

Comments on Nick Haynes? 121 SC pts looked promising, reckon he'll get his chances with Mohr set to return?

matt in sydney · 07/03/2015 at 23:08

he's been on my watchlist since i did a full defender analysis in January. I was happy with him today especially in the first half. play fairly deep in the second when zac smith was resting forward. played loose at times too. i yelled out to him to 'play less like patful and more like shaw' in reference to his preseason interview where he said he was following patfl around everywhere. he gave me the thumbs up

Mick Klavins · 08/03/2015 at 11:12

Nick Haynes was pick 7 mate! He is a class above Tim Mohr.. He'll be playing 3rd tall with Patfull now taking the next best defender. Sweeping across half back taking marks from opposition kicks is where most of his points will come from. According to CD rated elite in metres gained (3rd in the league before getting injured) and was ranked 4th in the league in interceptions before getting injured.

A lot of Michael Johnson about him… kicks more then he handballs and as you saw yesterday only needed the 12 kicks to get over 100 with a DE % OF 87% this is no fluke… great POD this year only in .28% of teams (was in .1% before yesterday) jump on!

JoeWoolcock · 08/03/2015 at 22:43

Cheers mate, sounds hard to resist!

FC HAWKSTOWE · 07/03/2015 at 22:11

For those that watched the game, does Touk Miller look like he'll get a game over Garlett based on he can go in the guts and play that small forward role as well? I watched last weeks game, but not this one. Cheers

Shezza · 08/03/2015 at 10:11

They are different types of players. There is a case that both may play but Gold Coast along with Collingwood are two clubs who is hard to gauge which are their best 22 players.
    Garlett has a lot of zip and provides outside run. I don't think he will accumulate too many possessions whereas Miller can win his own ball but realistically, he isn't in front of similar players like Prestia, Shaw, Swallow, Lonergan etc. Maybe a later downgrade option in the middle to latter part of the year??

Ty Felmingham · 08/03/2015 at 09:52

I’ve got Crouch as my M6. Am I going to big in the midfield

Kev · 08/03/2015 at 10:28

Not at all. Points galore early

themisfitssc · 11/03/2015 at 19:46

dont think can ever go to strong in midfield but dont leave your other lines underdone

King Menace · 08/03/2015 at 09:56

Hampton as F4. Is he worth a shot

Kev · 08/03/2015 at 10:30

Not a bad pick. Started 2014 strong with an average of 89 before injury cut him down. Though KK and Langdon are marginally cheaper

Mike · 08/03/2015 at 10:15

Gee McCarthy looked good in the highlights. Looks like he hasn't bothered with weight training or running in the preseason though. Old fashioned.

vcloophole · 08/03/2015 at 14:16

Mate he dominated the F50 the second he came on. He's a beautiful long kick with great hands who knows where to lead. Very much on the watchlist!

Mick Klavins · 08/03/2015 at 11:02

What about my man Nick Haynes Jock?

Only needed the 12 kicks to get 121! 87% DE, 9 marks 75% game time. I keep saying with Patfull taking the next best tall this year, he'll be loose off half back taking marks left right and centre from opposition kicks. Only in .28% of teams @ 383k just begging to be picked with the giants early draw he'll get his BE of 65 fairly comfortably IMO. JUMP ON COMMUNITY!

themisfitssc · 11/03/2015 at 19:56

sill question where are people getting the percentages in teams stats i have sc gold and doesnt show me thanks

themisfitssc · 11/03/2015 at 19:44

hey unle jock you legend I currently have treloar and griffen in midfield is this wise… and as crouching would say dey welccccome