NAB Supercoach Significance Report – GWS v GCS
Ryan Griffen (MID $530,700) took to the field in GWS colours for the first time today and delivered the Supercoach world a decisive message. I’m fit. I’m keen. I will tear the competition a new one this year. He delivered 161 points today in a performance that had the GWS faithful reaching for the tissues.
And while we have to be aware that he wasn’t exposed to a hard tag (he will be when the real thing starts) I daresay that those with him in their team will be feeling a lot better about themselves today. Those without him need to have a good hard think.
Absent Best 22 Players:
GWS: Shane Mumford, Adam Treloar, Heath Shaw, Devon Smith, Jon Patton, Tom Scully, Rhys Palmer, Tim Mohr, James Stewart
Gold Coast: Gary Ablett, Charlie Dixon, Jaeger O’Meara, Hallahan, Sam Day, Steven May, Dion Prestia
Other significant performances:
- Could Gold Coast lad Adam Saad (MID/DEF $102,400) be a big arse answer to our defence rookie woes? Liked the kid today. Needs to be elevated to the senior list but he looks a find to me. Watch his very closely for the remainder of the preseason. 16 disposals.
- Cameron McCarthy (FWD $210,700) was vested till Q4 but came on and cut sick. Best 22 from what I saw – regardless of the fact he came on late. 7 disposals, 3 goals and 3 marks in a quarter to the young man.
- Harley Bennell (MID/FWD $514,600) is one bloke I could watch play all day every day. True – I have a soft spot for this future champion – but he should remain in calculations with his FWD eligibility. 3 classy goals, and was best on for Gold Coast today. Remember there was no GAJ, Jaeger and Prestia today – so hard to get your bearings on him.
- Nick Malceski (DEF $566,600)was killing em early but I reckon he put the cue in the rack after half time (only touched it twice in the last half). Had it 14 times with 6 marks, most of all that early. Solid NO for me regardless of what he does.
- The Canberra Cannonball Jack Steele (MID/FWD $117,300) made the tail end of the first rookie cheat sheet. Didn’t come on till late in the third term looks a fair dinkum Ryan Griffen clone. Surprised by his big body – physically he’s ready, only had it a few times but used it very well. Want to see more of him.
- I reckon Kade Kolodjashnij (DEF $367,600) must have put on 5kgs over summer. Had 20 possessions and 6 marks as one of Gold Coast’s best. Not for me but those looking at him as a DEF pod would be encouraged by today.
- Both teams for resting so many bloody players. Mumford, Adam Treloar, Heath Shaw, Devon Smith, Scully, Rhys Palmer, Gary Ablett, Charlie Dixon, Jaeger O’Meara, Sam Day, Steven May, Dion Prestia. Give us a spell – the game was structurally stuffed with so many missing so very difficult to extract a great deal out of it.
Over to you community – what significance did you extract from the game?