NAB Supercoach Significance Report – ESS v STK
Hard to know what to take out of this game community…
St Kilda looked good but who were they playing? Hard to know if their good performers will keep it up against tougher opposition, on the plus side St Kilda fans got to see a high scoring St Kilda win a game.
A poor Essendon VFL side showed up today and effectively got smashed. Two of their best players on the day were Brown and Marigliani who aren’t even AFL players. If Essendon receives any bans at least we know which rookies to select…
Absent Best 22 Players
Essendon: Effectively their entire list.
St Kilda: Billings, Fisher, Gilbert, Ray, Riewoldt
St Kilda Analysis:
- Steven, Jack (MID $455,900) looked quick breaking away from packs and getting some clearances, one of the best on the ground. Worth pondering.
- Montagna, Leigh (MID $480,300) had a lot of the ball over the ground, found himself in defense a lot. Slightly underpriced but with so many other midfielders to choose from it’d be hard to select him.
- Ross, Seb (MID $317,100) had a good pre-season from all reports and looked good today… until he did his hammy. If he is fit there are still better value players around his price.
- Dunstan, Luke (MID $400,800) doesn’t look like the second year blues will hit him, if you want a midprice midfielder he could be your man.
- Acres, Blake (MID $220,700) had a very good game, got better as the game went on and showed that he can keep up at AFL level. Prefers to kick, which is a tick.
- McCartin, Paddy (FWD $222,300) young key position player and looked like one. Not worth his price tag, better options available in the fwd line.
- Saad, Ahmed (FWD $151,100) touched it 10 times but didn’t take advantage of his attempts at goal. Has potential but needs to do more to be elevated into St Kilda’s senior side.
- Membrey, Tim (FWD $172,000) got enough of it to excite St. Kilda fans but needed to kick straight. Had some bad misses but pushed up the ground. With Saint Nick back in the team Membrey will likely play deeper up fwd and probably won’t increase in cash enough for him to be a good selection.
- Geary, Jarryn (DEF $332,400) was one of the better players for the Saints and is shaping up to be a reasonable selection in our teams. Will be a choice between one of Geary, Newnes and Fisher for most, not sure our defensive lines can hold multiple Saints.
- Newnes, Jack (DEF/MID $436, 800) 21 disposals and 6 marks. If the last two weeks haven’t sold him I don’t know what will.
- Goddard, Hugh (DEF $122,300) the main thing is that he played. Took a few good marks and had a 9 disposals. If he keeps getting named then he may prove vital for our backline bench.
- Lonie, Jack (FWD $117,300) staked his claim for a small forward/ midfield role today. Could be a better option for our fwd bench than Saad.
Essendon Listed Players Analysis:
Almost everyone who played for Essendon is NOT in their best 22. I have reviewed each player who is currently on their senior list, if Essendon are hit with bans we can consider some of these young players.
- McKenna, Conor (MID $102,400) had 6 touches, nothing to write home about.
- Gleeson, Martin (MID $292,300) one of the better Bombers, 20 touches. Awkward price for the midfield.
- O’Brien, Nick (MID $123,900) had 2 games in 2012 and 3 in 2013. Had 22 touches and might get his 4 games in 2014.
- Kavanagh, Elliot (MID $145,100) BJ talked him up before the game, could be an ok midfield selection if named round one.
- Merrett, Jackson (FWD/MID $317,100) was probably Essendon’s best. Had 27 touches but 19 were handballs. If he keeps up this form might be worth looking at him for a forward spot.
- Giles, Jonathan (RUC $396,600) will be playing as a forward behind Bellchambers. If Bellchambers goes down with injury (suspension) then Giles should be looked at as a potential midprice R2. Kicked 3 goals.
- McKernan, Shaun (FWD/RUC) might occasionally pinch hit in the ruck but will have to contend with Essendon’s plethora of talls to get a spot in the best 22.
- Chapman, Paul (FWD $516,000) captained the side and acted like a captain. Ran hard and got a fair bit of the ball. Not sure his output will be enough to warrant selection. Unless bans hit he won’t play every game especially with the addition of Cooney who will fill a similar role.
- Langford, Kyle (FWD $142,300) talked about a lot this preseason but didn’t show too much. Very solid tackler though, had 5.
- Edwards, Shaun (DEF $123,900) played off half back in the first half and then played deep forward in the second. Probably the most exciting Essendon rookie today, consider for backline.
- Dalgleish, Lauchlan (DEF $145,100) played 3 games in 2013 but with just 11 disposals today doesn’t look likely to break into Essendon’s best 22.
- Long, Jake (DEF $102,400) if promoted off rookie list he might be worth looking at but still hasn’t quite got the body for AFL.
Over to you community – what significance did you extract from the game?