NAB Supercoach Significance Report – BL v STK
I’m big on this kid. Saw enough of him in the intra club last week to have him slotted in at D2 at this stage of the preseason. And let me tell you…
I’m approaching rigidity over Newnes after his showing today against a near full strength Brisbane Lions outfit.
He was in the game up to his neck all afternoon here and he’ll play a lot through a young St Kilda midfield. I’ve had a few tins – and I love my Saints – but I need to advise you all to lock Jack Newnes into your teams now at $437K.
Other significant performances
- Daniel Rich (BRL MID $348K) did what he needed to do. Came out like a train early and had it a dozen times before quarter time. Cleared it out of defence more than any other Lion- looks as if he’s being set to take the Pearce Hanley role off half back pinching in the guts. Was in my team before the game – and remains a member of JR Brumby FC.
- Dayne Beams (BRL MID $621K) was very solid in his first hitout for his new mob and seemed to gel pretty well with his new teammates. Had it 25 times and left me feeling happier that he’ll take up where he left off as a player this year. Encouraging first up.
- Veteran Saint Jarryn Geary (STK DEF $332K) had Wayno highly aroused here at the bungalow this afternoon and I’m tipping you’ll hear all about his performance in the podcast on Sunday. And he was good. He worked into the game and ended up with 25 possessions (9 of them contested), took it out of the defensive 50 six times and pumped it into the Saints top end 3 times. An impressive performance – emerges as a defensive option after this showing.
- Hawk defect Shane Savage (STK DEF $372K) should remain on the watchlist as a defence option. Was good today. Played exclusively off half back, had it 20 times and went at 80% disposal efficiency.
- Josh Bruce (STK DEF $294K) came across to St Kilda as a potential gorilla defender – but it looks as if he’s being groomed to compete with Riewoldt, Membrey, Lee and McCartin as a big FWD option. He impressed today as a forward with some genuine contested marking – with Richo suggesting he has something to offer in the ruck as well. Interesting.
- Tim Membrey (STK FWD $172K) had his chance to prove that he deserves a stab up forward alongside Nick Riewoldt but did nothing to show us he should be locked as a target for the Saints up forward. Slightly disappointed by his performance today. 6 touches and 1 goal 1. Needs to do more to get ahead of McCartin, Lee, Bruce and co.
- I wanted to see Matthew Leuenberger (BRL RUCK $358K) put one big arse hand up and claim the #1 ruck role as his own in the absence of Stefan Martin today. He went to the quarter time break with -4 Supercoach points and was luke warm at best for the rest of the arvo. Yeah I know – early days – but this big bastard sits in a hell of a lot of ruck lineups and I’m not convinced.
- A lot of uncertainty in the St Kilda forward line with Lee, Membrey, McCartin and Bruce all vying for position up there.