Flesh For Fantasy: Pre-Season

G’day community,The Great Mr Crimmins

After an extended off-season with the feet up, I’m stoked to say this old cocko is back for 2015 and gagging for a big year. While the footy may still be a while away and other sports may be taking priority, fantasy football is an all year obsession. Preparation for the season ahead is well and truly underway, and with it, is the return of ‘Flesh for Fantasy’.

In a series of articles leading up to the 2015 fantasy season, I will be dissecting the tactics required to ensure you have a ripper season and give yourself every chance of winning your league/overall prize.

I’m excited. I’m back. I’m raring to go. Let’s get cracking on some FLESH!

Three SuperCoach strategies that will win you a flag

There are more than three strategies that will help you win a flag, and you may have your very own that works – but these are Crimmo’s three strategies that will help me challenge for a flag.

Familiarize yourself with the changes when selecting team

This year you must read up on the changes and familiarize yourself with them. These changes, particularly to the structure of the fixtures, will have a bearing on how you pick your teams. The big one is league games now starting in round 2. This one is significant because it puts all the pressure on round 1 team selection. Failure to nail the team before league games will put you back for the rest of the year. Saving trades for the back half of the season is critical for any tilt at a flag, and if you’re blowing them trying to fix your team, you put yourself at a disadvantage later in the year when the ‘General’ rolls in.

Team selection will also be affected in the structure of the rucks. No longer do we have two rucks on the bench, but we are left with one as that second ruck bench spot now becomes a third midfield bench. While that fourth ruck usually never played, it was the ideal player to conduct the captain’s loophole. Now the decision needs to be made on which line you will use the loophole for, if you do at all now. I’m tipping you will need that third midfield bench spot for a player. How you select your team, as obvious as it sounds, will put you in a position to challenge for the flag, or hold up the rest of the ladder.

Load up on successful sides

The idea that having too many good players from one team is bad because they steal points off each other is a myth. Many have picked Gaz in previous years because a) it’s Gaz and b) GCS have no-one to take points off him and while that may be true, Gary is an exception to the rule. The way the scoring works out, you are much better off picking 2-3 players from Hawthorn than loading up on the star players from the four bottom teams.

The game of SuperCoach coincides with the Champion Data rankings. 3300 points are spread among the 44 active players, with those having the most influence on the game getting a good amount of that 3300. So teams like Melbourne and St Kilda, who in the past have been on the end of some beltings, would not get a great cut of that 3300. On the flip side, teams like Sydney and Hawthorn will tend to take most of the points each week, as there are only 4-5 sides that will challenge them. So you are better off picking someone like Kieran Jack and Travis Boak over Nathan Jones and David Armitage. If it were the other game, no dramas on who you pick, but with SuperCoach, you must think of that 3300 and the greediness of good teams.

Midfielders, midfielders, midfielders.

It’s pretty simple – you need to get as many midfielders in your team as possible. Those who spend more time on the ball are more likely to score higher than those who don’t. I imagine that’s pretty easy to understand. Any midfielder that is also a DPP must be selected as either a forward or defender, depending on their dual position. This frees up more spots in the midfield for, well, midfielders. It also limits the number of key position players, who have a tendency to pump out massive scores one week, but play a poor game the next. You need as much consistent scoring around the ground as possible and midfielders are the ones who will offer that. As mentioned before – more time on the ball = more points. Simple.

Anyway, it is good to be back. Feel free to give the community your strategies in the comment section below. Stay tuned for the next edition of Pre-Season Flesh for Fantasy.

Mr Crimmins.

Connect with Crimmo on Twitter @Mr_Crimmins

Donkey Kong FC · 03/02/2015 at 13:42

These are great points! Specifically about midfielders.

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 03/02/2015 at 13:55

Agree Crimmo,

Midfielders take up a massive percentage of my team this year. With the introduction of the third midfield bench option, and the lack of solid options up back, it's more important to shove as many quality midfielder into one's side.

Great to have you back Crimmo!

skindog · 03/02/2015 at 13:57

Good write up Crimmo, all good points sir,,,,,

General Soreness · 03/02/2015 at 14:27

Could perhaps start listing these as Crimmo's Commandments, three very salient points, all a must.

skindog · 03/02/2015 at 15:23

good call General

Chicko · 03/02/2015 at 20:39

Crimmo you legend. Agree with General (he even gets a quasi-mention in the article) – crimmo’s commandments is a great call.

Muddiemoose · 03/02/2015 at 14:40

Love your work Crimmo

medadsson · 03/02/2015 at 14:48

Given Mr Crimmins advice re successful teams and the fact that Ryan Griffin will now be vying for points with Callan Ward and Adam Treloar would other members take Jordan Lewis over Callan Ward. Love the way Lewis plays and he seemed to have a more attacking rather than negating roll last year. Ward or Lewis?

General Soreness · 03/02/2015 at 14:55

"The idea that having too many good players from one team is bad because they steal points off each other is a myth"

If those two are the only choices, Ward.

medadsson · 03/02/2015 at 15:01

Yes, I guess I am mind wrestling with two theories there. Cheers for the advice. Will go with the gut. It's back to Ward 🙂 … for now!

derek · 04/02/2015 at 17:36

i'm a hawks fan and have had an above average number of Hawks in my team the past few years. That has been a poor strategy and this year i'm doing the opposite and having a hawk free team. No hawk averaged over 100 last year.

Hazey1977 · 03/02/2015 at 16:44

Was I right in hearing that Ryan Griffen is under doubt with his back again? Something I caught on the radio the other week when driving about GWS not even doing a medical.

I N Pieman · 03/02/2015 at 15:04

Excellent points Crimmo. Point pig midfielders are number one priority. I also value the importance of sledging.

BundyBear · 03/02/2015 at 15:53

Sledging ? now ur talking

I N Pieman · 03/02/2015 at 16:33

Has to be done Bundy. There’s nothing like burying a mate after you’ve knocked him over

Dools · 03/02/2015 at 17:50

Was thing I find funny. 1 INP sledging. 2. Collingwood. 3. Beams fusking off 4. Eddie full stop. And 5. INP plays tennis. Things that I do not find funny 1. INP sledging. 2. INP beating me. 3. INP telling me he has beat me. 4. COLLINGWOOD winninig and 5. when Eddie says….Dools I bloody told you and the league! Listen to INP. Get farked McQuire lol

I N Pieman · 03/02/2015 at 18:08

We are in a few leagues Dools. You'll get yours during the season. Whilst we have Buckley don't worry about us winning too often.

Dools · 03/02/2015 at 19:45

So is bukleys and none mate……

Tman · 03/02/2015 at 15:13

Welcome back Crimmo. Looking forward to the regular 'flesh of fantasy'.

BundyBear · 03/02/2015 at 15:42

Howdy people. Set for another year and hoping to do a bit better then last year. I have a lot to learn. Anyway Have room in a league if anyone wants to join. League code is 482562.

medadsson · 03/02/2015 at 18:09

Hi Bundy, I'm in if that's ok. Cheers.

Morse · 03/02/2015 at 18:32

Good Work Bundy.

I'm in also. thanks for the invite. I look forward to the premiership trophy… As a pies supporter, it could be the only thing I win this year…..

Skillsar · 03/02/2015 at 16:35

Rampe or Newnes?

I N Pieman · 03/02/2015 at 17:01

Newnes for mine. DPP & no uncertainty of his involvement. Who knows what they’ll do with Rampe.

tom · 03/02/2015 at 17:03

here is my current team

Back Burgoyne, Shaw, Hibberd, Houli, Waters, H.Goddard ( Rainbow and McKenzie)

Mid: Fyfe, Sloane Treloar, Prestia, Dusty, Rich,Crippsn, freeman, ( Heeney, Lavarde, Krakouer)

Ruck: Kreuzer, Bellchambers ( Read)

Forward: Ryder, Roughy, Dahlhaus, devon smith, Clark, Hogan ( Karpany, J Steele)

I have around 15k in the bank. Do you think i need any improvements.

I N Pieman · 03/02/2015 at 17:35

Tom. No Abblett? If Fyfe doesn't score well I can't see many decent captain options. I'd have Dusty in the FWD line. Wouldn't waste a prized mid spot for a DPP you can have in the FWD line. I like the Darlhaus selection. He was good for me last season. Thank you Jock Reynolds. I have started with Ryder before & it ended in tears. You have 3 Key position Fwds. I don't have any because they don't play in the midfield & scores are erratic to be kind. Clarke is a maybe but I think better options will present ahead of Hogan. I can see Burgoyne being managed to the finals when he really steps it up & reaps havoc. Refer back to Crimmo's advice above & pick blokes that run through the midfeild. They score more & are more consistent. Most of your rookie picks look pretty good. Karpany is an interesting pick. Round 1 I doubt it. But I have him as a potential downgrade target & with Def/Fwd that's tasty. Think he might need some injuries to get a crack.

nick · 03/02/2015 at 18:10

yeah try get nick nat in or a better ruckman granted bellchambers only ruck but he is not a big time fantasy scorer

nick · 03/02/2015 at 18:12

and I am noy going with dusty or any Richmond player every again they are no good maybe 3 or 4 but at the end of the day u need players putting 140 150 scores on the bored for u and some of the Richmond players cant do that

Spifflicator · 03/02/2015 at 20:52

Tom, Theres a big lack of midfielders in your fwd line, also rucks will drop 10% on average with the scoring changes which makes the likes of Mumford, Jacobs and Ryder less attractive. in addition Ryder will become the No2 ruck at PA which impacts his scoring. I would have a rethink on F1-4 at this stage.

Ryan · 03/02/2015 at 17:24

Hey community, my mind isn't completely made up just yet but I'm considering going with a weaker midfield and stacking the forward and backline. I'm contemplating in the fwd line having all of Deledio, goddard, martin,swan,and Walters, leaving only one on field rookie in the fwd line. Also selecting a solid defence with all of smith, shaw, Hibberd, Duffield and newnes. This does leave a weak midfield, however as has been in the past. The best rookies are undoubtedly mid rookies that appreciate the most in price, and often average in excess of 80.
Is this a solid strategy given the diminished defence options, or is too risky to hope that a couple of mid rookies average 80+
Would love any feedback, cheers

I N Pieman · 03/02/2015 at 17:56

Gday Ryan. I'll give you a clue buddy. All the boys who have been writting arcticles over summer for the preseason have been chatting on twitter. We all have 5-7 bonafide stud muffin premo mids. If you start with a weak midfield its going to make chasing the guys you really want really tough. Conversely plenty of the DEF FWD premos will drop in price at some point & when they bottom out you pick them off.

Ryan · 03/02/2015 at 18:08

Thanks INP, I agree with your points, but mid ultra premiums always drop in price as well. I feel however this season could hinge on consistently good defensive output, and in saying this I pick Duffield hahaha.

I N Pieman · 03/02/2015 at 18:15

They do Ryan but it's a lot easier to grab a 450k fwd or def than a 600k mid. Requires more trades. Duffield is a frustrating guy. But I attribute that more to the Ross factor. I'm more interested in Clancee Pearce & Ibbotson. They are undervalued & could be used to skip up to a 500k player that drops to under 450. But the Ross factor always hangs in the air with any Freo player.

ryan · 03/02/2015 at 18:22

Thanks INP

Dools · 03/02/2015 at 17:58

No way on the backline mate go ultra cheap to Generate approx 500 points based on avgs of players who WILL PLAY! For 1st 6 rounds (Trade you’re way up) Go hard in mids or dpp Fwds or go high end rucs .

Ryan · 03/02/2015 at 18:10

Cheers Dools, agree with you as that is my usual tactic. However the fickleness of defence has me concerned that these cheap defenders could go bust and put out scores of 50-80

Dools · 03/02/2015 at 19:52

That my friend is the point…. 2 maybe 3 are keepers beyond R 6 but you have set a tactic that requires you to trade down back. Not on any other line. To which you have to leave the prems alone and you need to fix Def. You already no this!

Tylo · 03/02/2015 at 18:33

Hey Ryan. Your points make sense mate. Premos on all lines will at some time fall in price and the highest scoring rookies are usually in the mids. Imo where the good rookies are should dictate your structure. So if there is a line with few decent rookies it makes sense to spend more there. Something to keep in mind though is how many 'keepers' you are picking on each line. If you pick 5 backs you expect to keep that only leaves 1 spot to upgrade. Do you back yourself to pick 5 of the top 6 at the start of the year? History says it's harder than it looks.

Ryan · 03/02/2015 at 18:37

Cheers tylo, you're right about that, forward line you probably could pick the top 5/6. But I can't look at those I've mentioned and confidently say they will be.

I N Pieman · 03/02/2015 at 18:40

Spot on Tylo. If you have no idea who the best players will be on that line then that's the line you trade through.

Seaford Scouse · 11/02/2015 at 08:11

Nail on the head there INP, and if someone can tell me they can predict this in the back line this year then please feel free to send through the numbers for Saturdays lottery also 🙂

Matt · 03/02/2015 at 17:34

Great write up Crimmo! Agree with loading up on the successful sides, which is just one of the many reasons I am picking Jordan Lewis this season.

nick · 03/02/2015 at 18:07

my team as follows is
Back n malceski k simpson jack newnes waters merchibank goddard rainbow mckinzie

Mids rockcliff fyfe pendelbury goddard scott selwood n van berlow c petarcca j picket bench freeman laverde and heeney

rucks nick nat and kruzer bench griffen

fwds ryder franklin swan tex walker clark Hogan karpany krakour any thoughts I picked swan as I think he will have a great year if he stays injery free also walker think he will explode this year I am starting first time every with out selwood j and stevie j and ablett hoping to get those players later on so what u guys think good team or not

Brazen Wombat · 03/02/2015 at 18:37

History shows it's risky business leaving out Ablett for later, but with the injury from last year, he may just be a slow starter.

I reckon ditch Nic Nat, bit of a Harley Bennell, always potential but never delivers. I'd also jump off Kreuzer. Matt Lobbe a POD could be a thought for your ruck? Indications from growth in previous year tells me he's consistent and young(ish), tamed talent; I think this'll be his year for sure.

nick · 03/02/2015 at 20:49

thanks for that I have lobe know and matty leunburger know and if I was to get rid of fyfe as I have a whole team of caps in swan pendels rocky who should I get in with 695 k could go selwood but as a cat man he sometimes starts of slow what do u reckon

FootyFanatic · 04/02/2015 at 18:25

I'd also switch B Goddard into your forward line as it is a waste having a dpp in your midfield when you could have the player in another position, you want as many midfielders as possible!

@jstorm311 · 03/02/2015 at 18:18

Great common sense advice. Sometimes in the rabble of our brains when selecting then re selecting our starting line ups, we lose focus of the basics. Thanks for re enforcing them Crimmo!

Brazen Wombat · 03/02/2015 at 18:32

NEED HELP!!!
I am a pies supporter (yes, I still have teeth) and I need to make a tough decision.
As much as I want all of Seedsman (who has to be a POD with huge potential), Marley Williams, Travis Varcoe AND Tom Langdon; I cannot contain all four, it's just not right to have that many from one team in any position, let alone defense, especially if they are all mid-pricers.
Need to cull.
Go.

I N Pieman · 03/02/2015 at 18:56

Varcoe Nup. Williams maybe but unlikely for mine. Seedsman…is he best 22. Not sure about that. Tom Langdon well I think he's undervalued. Like most first year players he hit the wall. First half of the season he was brialliant. With another Preaseason under the belt he could be a top 10 defender. His competition isn't great. I think he could average 80+. If your looking at those boys Langdon is the only 1 i'm interested in.

nick · 03/02/2015 at 21:45

don't pick varcoe sorry I am a cat man he might have a great year but you need some one in your team who will not only get 120 plus points but bring in the cash as well

David · 03/02/2015 at 18:39

Please tell me if im crazy to start with Giles and Pyke in my ruck.

Will Giles be any good to be real top dog for Essendon?
Pyke i think has the games behind him now to better his output SC relevant?

What can we expect from these 2 cheaper options?

My thinking is this…. Wait and see how Rucks score after 5-6 rounds and hope to upgrade one of these 2 guys to premo Ruck.

Ryan · 03/02/2015 at 18:43

bellchambers would be number one atm, 90k cheaper and dpp

BBT · 03/02/2015 at 19:56

Durable players are a must, not starting Fyfe or Rockliff for example. GAJ and Swannie are exceptions here. Will save a couple of trades a year.

Keeping under performing premos even if they are a pain in the backside, the under performing mid pricers are the ones that kill ya with burning trades etc. For example, if say this premo mD averaged 110 last year but is only averaging 95 or so, keep them, see out the hard period and upgrade maxed out rookies/mid pricers instead, by mid season that under performer is quality bench cover at M9. The same goes for under performing premo defenders/forwards, would take anything above a 75-80 average then hold onto them and turn them into F7/D7s

Would prefer at least 28 players from my starting squad to be round 1 starters.

Perhaps though with the 11 midfield spots now if we are lucky enough to upgrade well we can hold these sorts of "high risk" players that are prone to "rests" later in the year if there are 10 other starting mids to choose from.

Tom · 03/02/2015 at 20:53

Rockliff has only missed 10 games in 5 years so he's hardly a risk. He missed 4 games last year through two soft suspensions that would no longer result in missed games after the MRP changes and the other two games missed were gastro and tonsillitis in round 23. That said I won't be starting with him as he has large downside and not much upside at his starting price

Cam_H · 03/02/2015 at 19:57

"Rule #2 : Load up on successful sides
Rule #3 : Midfielders, midfielders, midfielders."

Please talk me out of Luke Hodge (Haw) then!

Current backline is: Kade Simpson (Carl) – variable from game to game but solid season averages, Luke Hodge (Haw), Jack Newnes (StK) – still somewhat unconvinced but sticking with it, Beau Waters (WCE) – the 'not totally unreasonable' gamble, Brendan Whitecross (Haw) – verging into risky, and Jock's rookies of; Goddard (StK), McKenzie (StK), and V-Rainbow (Carl).

My like-for-likes (kind-of) D2 options for Luke Hodge include Heath Shaw (GWS) and Michael Hibberd (Ess) – but both are lacking DPP.

People have claimed that Hodge is getting too old, but he's roughly the same age as GAJ (actually a smidge younger) and other premiums.

It'd be appreciated if I could get some pointers on if Hodge is less likely to do well than Shaw, Hibberd, or another similarly priced if not cheaper defender. Thanks in advance. :O)

t_woof · 03/02/2015 at 20:45

Thank you for sharing Crimmo!

An absolute gem hidden in there, that i hadn't even considered. Much appreciated!

"which line you will use the loophole for"

Nathan · 03/02/2015 at 20:51

G’day guys
I’ve been looking at my team and yes I’m not happy/sure about my backline/forward line
My back line consists of
Shaw hibberd docherty ibbotson waters Goddard rainbow Mckenzie
Should I put an extra rookie in my backline or upgrade a forward rookie to premo or close too?

Nick · 03/02/2015 at 20:53

here is my current team

Back Burgoyne, Shaw, Hibberd, Johnson, Waters, H.Goddard ( Rainbow and McKenzie)

Mid: Kennedy, Sloane Ward, Harvey, Boak, Rich,Cripps, freeman, ( Heeney, Lavarde, Krakouer)

Ruck: Kreuzer, Grundy ( Read)

Forward: Ryder, Roughy, Dahlhaus, Dusty, Clark, Hogan ( Karpany, J Steele)

I have 15k. If you think i need any improvements please let me know

Kev · 04/02/2015 at 13:13

G'day Nick, you have got a good balance there of premiums and rookies. Read again Crimmo's take on midfielders. They are so important to your side scoring well so don't skimp on the hefty price tags, they are 100% worth the coin.

ASADEN · 06/02/2015 at 12:12

also bit worried about ryder this year (new ruck rules) and he's going to be no2 ruckman so probably will spend more time forward id say and if he's not kicking them your in trouble. also reconsider rich, i know he's dirt cheap but gotta remember who's going to be in the team this year, puts him down in the pecking order for midfield time and if he's not going to avg atleast 80 is it worth it? im on the edge with him aswell

pauly peanuts · 03/02/2015 at 22:55

Nick, seriously mate your rucks are an issue as kruezer who will play forward, and i think your mids need a bit more fire power,backline Ok, forwards needs more Fwd / Mids , good luck mate

Give It A Go · 04/02/2015 at 00:22

Whats your thoughts on Acres B off STK or Biggs for M7 only 11k diff.

General Soreness · 04/02/2015 at 09:25

Both solid options, I'm wary of Acres body holding up and therefore would favour Biggs.

throttlefinger · 04/02/2015 at 00:27

Welcome back Mr. C! As always, dispensing gold! Agree with the General these should be called the Crimmins Commandments. Very much looking forward to Triple F to be starting again.

Jett · 04/02/2015 at 00:30

Is loading up on players from good teams like Hawthorn a bit risky? Yes they get a higher share of the points but last year there was only one Hawks player inside the top 20 scorers. Great article tho. Thanks.

Kev · 04/02/2015 at 13:19

Good point there Jeff. It's important to do your own research as well. If supercoach was easy we'd all be smashing it.

I personally took from that point there is a better spread of high scores in a team like hawthorn because they are going to win more often. So a mid pricer from the hawks may score 80 or so in a winning side compared to a similar priced player from Melbourne who would score 50 odd because the dees don't win much.

gazza_for_coach · 04/02/2015 at 14:40

Hey community getting bloody excited footy seasons almost upon us. Would love to hear thoughts on
1. Mitch duncan
2. Lachie neale

biologi.untirta.ac.id · 22/02/2015 at 11:07

Quite often when a guy is really fixated on the idea of
being able to patch things up with an ex girlfriend, he is going to act very dramatic
about the situation, even if he cannot see it. As Richard,
Jeff Moffitt shows us a man clearly out for himself, but who is quite clueless to the fact that his marriage is over, while
Ben Prayz as David gleefully gloats of his conquests, professionally and personally, all the way through with a smile on his face.
Emily: But what will people think if we don’t give them something nice.