Zorko the Magnificent, will his magic hold up?

LekdogCommunity, for those of you who have read all of my articles it would have become painfully obvious that my favourite part of the season to analyze is the second half of the year.

Well today that is where we begin.

It’s round 11 2014, Brisbane have just had their bye round and Zorko is coming off a pitiful score of 12 in his round 9 clash against North Melbourne.  This is to be his first 100+ score of the seven he will produce in the remainder of the season. Zorko put on a clinic, scoring 131 Supercoach points and amassing 23 disposals, 2 goals and 7 tackles in a win over my disappointing Blues.

I was depressed I’ll admit but through my sorrow I saw a light and that light was Zorko the Magnificent.

2015 Price: $531,900
2015 Position: MID/FWD
Games last season: 21
Average last season: 98.95
100+ Games last season: 10 (including seven 120+ games)
Sub 80 games last season: 7
Price range last season: $403K-$548K
Missed games last season: One in round 23 (the round from hell)
Significant history: 4 Best and Fairest awards in QAFLCaptained Queensland U21 sidePicked by GCS with a priority pickFive 150+ scores since debut

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Zorko was not without fault last year as he had five sub-80 scores for the season including his score of 12 in round 9. But his upside was so tantalizing that I have found a way to forgive him for the stress he put me through in 2014. After scoring 121 in round 1 and 161 in round 2, Zorko looked set to have an amazing year. This thought however was crushed as Zorko managed to only score in the triple figures once in the next seven games before the bye. I know that I was not alone in thinking I had made a massive mistake but I had a feeling in my gut that he could turn it around and boy oh boy did he do that.

From the bye onwards Zorko averaged 107.7 for the rest of the season, far better than his average of 86.1 from round 1-9. While 107.7 isn’t massive by any stretch of the imagination, both you and I dear reader know that I’ll be delving a little deeper into Zorko’s output than that. In his final 8 games in 2014 Zorko averaged 115.3, now this is an average I can get excited about. He cracked 100 Supercoach points in 5 of his final 8 games including a 159 and a 162 (his second 160+ in 2014)!  Even more remarkably if we remove his poor performance of 56 against Melbourne in round 19 Zorko’s average hurtles its way to 123.9.

Another statistic that excites me is the fact that in 2014 Zorko averaged 122.7 in games where Brisbane won. As someone who thinks that Brisbane will win more games in 2015 than they did in 2014 Zorko looks very appealing. The downside however is that in losses Zorko doesn’t do too well, averaging just 87 Supercoach points.

Lekdog Table

Now I know that I can’t just remove poor scores and accurately assess a player, however in this instance I think it’s almost viable. The Brisbane Lions coaching staff have said in several articles in the off-season that Zorko is likely to remain in the midfield. To me this means that with the quality of Beams being thrown into the guts, the Lions midfielders will see a higher quality of ball and a higher quantity of potential Supercoach points. Now it’s obvious that Beams and Christensen will steal some points from the rest of the team but I also think this will be balanced out by more Supercoach points being awarded to the Lions in general.

As for Dayne Zorko I believe that with all of the talent being injected into the Lions this off-season his Supercoach average will increase from 98.95 to at least 105 if not pushing for 110. However I think his ceiling of 160 will greatly decrease. I’m not expecting Zorko to get any 150+ scores next year (5 in the last 3 seasons), in fact I don’t think he’ll break the 130+ barrier very much either. I believe that his average increase will stem from him raising his low scores. I don’t think that in a midfield with Beams, Redden, Rockliff and Martin/Leuenberger that Zorko will be getting the low scores he is prone to getting (scores of 46, 59, 12, 47 and 56 in 2014). I expect him to lift his floor (opposite of ceiling) from the low 50’s to the mid 70’s at worst. If he lifts his basement but he is incapable of scoring 150+ then we should still see his Supercoach average increase to over 105 for 2015. In the best case scenario Zorko maintains his high ceiling but also raises his floor, this is an outcome that would excite me.

Now community I am merely analyzing and hypothesizing over what may happen in the 2015 season. If my predictions come to pass we must then ask ourselves “is it worth selecting Zorko in 2015?”

Selection Purpose

If you were to select Dayne Zorko in your starting squad it would clearly be as a premium keeper in the forward line however with other FWD/MID’s such as Swan, Deledio and Goddard it’s going to be bloody hard to fit him in. The only way I see him fitting into a starting lineup is if you don’t want to risk a position on Swan (ageing, poor year in 2014 etc.) or Goddard (ageing, plays for Essendon etc.).

It’s far more likely that I will look to pick up Zorko at a later date just as I did last year. His price will inevitably drop in the early part of the season and he may be available as an upgrade or to replace an underperforming player.

Risk Factor

Though I’ve read that he’ll be in the midfield because Christensen and Robinson will be in the forward line, I am still worried that he’ll spend more time up forward than I would like him too.

There is also a chance that only half of my predictions will come true and he will suffer from Beams and Rockliff stealing all of his points.

The Good

• Has a massive ceiling, cracked 160+ twice in 2014.
  • Brisbane Lions will likely score more Supercoach points than last year meaning that Zorko could snaffle them up.
  • Entering his 4th season and naturally will be fitter and smarter on the field.
  • MID/FWD eligible provides flexibility and can prevent unnecessary trades.
  • Averaged 115.3 over his last 8 games of 2014
  • Can be a Supercoach match winner
  • I have used him as captain before #YOLO
  • Averaged 100 in 2012 (16 games), 82.91 in 2013 (22 games) and 98.95 in 2014 (21 games)
  • Averaged 122.7 in wins

The Downside

• Susceptible to very low scores
  • Safer options for MID/FWD available
  • Better midfielders around him could negatively affect his scores
  • A little too pricey at $530K
  • Sub-90 average in losses

The Verdict

Zorko could be a league winner, he could propel your team up the ranks, and he could even win the bloody Brownlow! However he could also be the worst forward line selection of the year. With players such as Goddard, Deledio, Gray and Swan available in our forward lines it’s pretty hard to justify picking Zorko at his risky starting price.

The flipside of that is that over his last 8 games in 2014 Zorko averaged a massive 115.3 whereas: Swan averaged 75.6, and Goddard 93.5. Zorko is clearly the choice based on those stats however there is still inherent risk in picking him.

My personal opinion is to pick him up later community…

it might be a genius move picking him early but to play on the sensible side and avoid disaster we should probably avoid selecting him in our starting lineups. The upside that Zorko could provide our teams is mostly reliant on Brisbane performing, and with games against Collingwood, North Melbourne, Richmond and West Coast to start the season, Brisbane will likely struggle early resulting in lower scores for Zorko.

Lekdog

Twitter: @lekblog

JOIN CLUB JOCK – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

The Jock Reynolds Preseason Magazine

mag plug for webThere will be two kinds of Fantasy Footballer when the season kicks off. Those who have been enlightened by this 130 page blueprint for Supercoach mastery. And those who haven’t. Simple.

It will take you to the next level in this caper re: game strategy. Ladies will go nuts over the centrefold. And all will be inspired by the story of my rise to prominence. Lock one in now while you can..

The Intense Patch · 31/01/2015 at 10:47

Beautiful write up Lekdog. I have to agree with you on picking up later, especially if we see Tom Mitchell get game time.
It will also be interesting to see what role he will play with Hanley missing the first part of the season; will this see him pushed up onto a wing for more points?

Ryan · 31/01/2015 at 11:01

Agreed, even if he stays in the fwd line you'd have to think, given the new mid group there will be much more and better delivery.

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 13:47

Intense and Ryan, Hanley's injury has actually made me more inclined to take the monetary hit and start with Zorko, the points should be worth it.

lostlarrikin · 31/01/2015 at 23:25

Spot on Lek. The loss of Hanley has got to improve Zorko's stocks.
        Brilliant piece btw the mate.

@LekBlog · 01/02/2015 at 01:06

Thanks Larrikin

WombatsFC · 31/01/2015 at 11:00

Thanks Lekdog. Definitely no Zorko for me this year unless he drops 200k before the byes. He's good but, Christianson, Beams, Kamikaze Kid, Rich and baby beams all added to the squad or finally fully recovered from injury. He might win the NEAFL BF this year.

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 13:48

Oh he'll drop in price no doubt, not sure he'll be demoted to the NEAFL haha, will be watching Brisbane structures in the NAB closely

Eastman · 31/01/2015 at 11:00

Yet again another great analysis lekdog, you are the metaphorical equivalent of Gary Ablett in the SuperCoach world, just wondering if you could do some more write ups on rookie players, Joel Hamling, Kane Lambert, Biggs just to name a few,
All in all keep up the good work mate

BBT · 31/01/2015 at 11:19

Gday Eastman, I’m a Doggies fan and Biggs could be relevant as he seems likely to be part of our backline rotation, whether he’s infront of Johannisen, Darley and Wood is unknown though as only two of them 4 would play with Bob Murphy as the smalls, then Morris or Picken would play as a lockdown, watch the NAB Cup but Biggs knows how to get the ball and he’s 23 already, could be a better option than NVB and the expensive rookies.

Hamling I would say has Roughead, Talia and Roberts ahead of him, Roberts or Hamling could be used up forward at a pinch though, as a KPD I can’t see him averaging more than 50 and Roberts is a solid intercepting type already that was underutilised by McCartney (for Mark Austin of all people).

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 13:49

Looks like I don't need too^ haha, I think we have some Rookie related stuff in the works Eastman so keep an eye out mate. Thanks for the knowledge bomb BBT

Nathan · 31/01/2015 at 11:04

Great write up again
He’s one of those players who you only want for one week when he scores 150+ but out the next when he scores 60
And I used him to win a few games last year too
But saying that I can’t see him in my side with more consistent fellas at the same price

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 13:50

I'm slightly more inclined to pick him over some other blokes, Bennell etc. But he certainly is a sporadic scorer.

Nathan · 31/01/2015 at 15:53

Yeah I agree with that
      At least to start I’m looking for someone with a consistent scoring power
      So defs someone to look into later during the season
      I was thinking bennell but on the same boat also doesn’t have as many big games

BBT · 31/01/2015 at 11:09

Good stuff bruv. Zorko was great last year after his price bottomed out after that virus effected 12 he scored, the only thing that worries me is even though BLs staff have said he will be a midfielder he could spend significant time up forward due to BL being inexperienced up there and they need some goalkicking power. Perhaps Rockliff would pinch hit up there again also and Robinson should definitely play as a big bodied HFF but yeah hhhmmm. Hanley’s injury could see him get extra minutes in midfield for the first month also. Just too risky for me at the moment.

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 13:52

It is risky that's for sure, i'll be keeping a close eye on him…i'd say christensen and robinson are locked in the forward line for Brisbane right now probably with Lewy Taylor and the like so I hope the Lions midfielders stay in the midfield

MangroveJack · 31/01/2015 at 11:11

Nice one Lekdog, waiting to see the starting structure for the Lions in NAB to see what it will divulge.

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 13:53

Agreed Jack

throttlefinger · 31/01/2015 at 11:18

Excellent review, Lekdog! I'm going back and forth on Zorko. Reasons I like is that with the inclusion he won't have no or nearly no tag pressure on him. He moves well in the open and, I'm almost certain, he's not going to be the 1st, 2nd or 3rd thing on any teams mind most of the game. Agree the opening schedule is a bit daunting yet he could benefit from that. Maybe not a 120+ score but without being the primary focus he could go 3+ goals and 18+ disposals as the attention will be elsewhere…also those 4 are probably the most unsteady of the teams vying for the Finals bottom 4 seats.

Right now liking his potential more than Dusty and Bennell. If Swan comes out fiery, I may change my mind. Right 80/20 on him in TF. Again, highly nutritious take on the Magnificent One.

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 13:57

Since writing the article I have moved towards selecting him, he's currently in my forward line. I have a very strict set of calculations I use when choosing players (pre-nab cup) and he comes up roses in all of them. He had a season average of 98.95 in 2014 but ended the season on a massive upward trend average 107.7 post bye.
    I have him above Dusty and Bennell and even Deledio at this stage…structures at the Puppies will however change many times before the season starts.
    Thanks for reading Throt

vcloophole · 01/02/2015 at 13:32

Fantastic writeup Lekdog. As Throtts said, highly nutritious food for thought!
      Great discussion between you two blokes. Great stuff.

General Soreness · 31/01/2015 at 11:20

Superb as always Lekdog, The roller coaster that is Zorko is so frustrating I can’t start with him especially as you point out there are plenty of fwd options in 2015.

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 13:58

I'm hedging my bets a little and not ruling him out completely, Hanley's injury helps Zorko's cause a lot! But there are a heap of forwards who are viable selections this year.

Kev · 31/01/2015 at 11:29

Brilliant write up Lekka. Frustrating as he is I've still got a bit of soft spot for ZtM after his debut year where he was smashing out 100+ scores all over the shop.

You highlighted BL's somewhat difficult first month and I think this will be perfect to see how the lions are lining up with their influx of new talent, and also whether Zorko can close that gap between points in wins v losses

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 13:59

I've softened to him since I wrote the article, he currently is lining up in my squad but that could well change come the season proper.

I N Pieman · 31/01/2015 at 11:35

I am a fan of the magnificent. Take the gastro affected score out of 12 & it’s a 100 plus average. That was painful to watch that gastro game. Subbed straight to the bathroom. I won’t be starting with him this season. Far too much uncertainty over his role & how Beams & Christiansen could eat into his mid time. I’m certain he will drop to the low 400’s again & that could be the time to strike. Great article Lek.

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 31/01/2015 at 12:47

Agree Pie.

Excellent piece Lek.

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 14:00

Will be in The Puppies this year just depends when, honestly considering him since Hanley's injury but obviously it's a classic watch the NAB cup and see. Thanks for reading boys.

Dools · 31/01/2015 at 14:02

Hi INP,
    I take it you went "Bundy" Christensen instead?
    I have him as F2 ATM bit like beer ATM in Dools Fools "it's very fluid!!" LOL

I N Pieman · 31/01/2015 at 16:08

No Brizzy players in my side Dools at the moment. Can’t work out who’s going to benefit & who’s going to go backwards. Wait & see approach. Sincere condolences on the passing of your old man. Hope your holding up well buddy. I’ll have a few cans in his honour.

Dools · 31/01/2015 at 16:13

Thanks Mate
        We are going to have to meet when your Tinder lets you

I N Pieman · 31/01/2015 at 16:19

For sure. After my expensive divorce I can’t afford a full time girlfriend. A team of casuals is far cheaper & more fun. Nonetheless would love to catch up. Where are you based? I see your conquering tinder as well. Nicely done

Dools · 31/01/2015 at 16:27

I'm out in Point Cook mate but work in St Kilda Road in the city

Dools · 31/01/2015 at 16:24

With My Irish Companion out with minor knee surgery Wombats has a suggestion which I ‘m looking into. Brivsvagas With Hanley maybe a mid/def spot opens up as in Christensen more required then ever or a pure DEF ie Golby
        Just a thought

I N Pieman · 31/01/2015 at 16:40

I’m down near Jock & the boys in Bayside. Work is very close to st kilda rd. A long boozy lunch sounds good. The General isn’t far away either for work. We’ve had a few lunches. I’ll drag him along. He doesn’t need a great deal of convincing. Hanley missing the first part of the season certainly changes dynamics. Hopefully we can see how they will structure up in the NAB. That thought on Bundy has crossed my mind. If he takes that role & makes money then when Hankey comes back maybe a sideways to Gray might be a cheeky move.

vcloophole · 01/02/2015 at 13:42

Gents, *inside info* on Bundy here: his back is VERY dodgy and was the reason he played so little footy in 2014. The Cats weren't that cut-up internally about losing him. Unless Brizzy have some alternative method of treatment that the Cats awesome medical team somehow missed out on (doubtful), I doubt they have magically completely cured him. Time will tell of course, but just be careful!

Leighroy · 01/02/2015 at 11:12

Great article lek, agree with pieman he is a good upgrade target round 12

adrian · 31/01/2015 at 12:12

It’s between zorko and benelle for me. Just can’t split them but might come down to a money thing for me. Got any thoughts on Jed Anderson from the hawks? $141,500 is a great price for him if he can string some games together. The hawks rate him!

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 14:03

If I were choosing between the two it'd be Zorko every time, not interested in Bennell and currently have Zorko in the lineup. Anderson is very injury-prone and probably won't get a lot of games if he breaks through. Keep an eye on game time in NAB cup, if it's more than say 80-85% might be a good option. Hawks like to play rookies in the NAB and then not again til round 20.

Tom · 31/01/2015 at 12:18

Can anybody tell me how the qualifying league works in terms of who gets promoted and things like that?

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 14:03

I think the "Club Jock" podcast will cover all of that, should hit air waves in the next few days. However don't quote me on this.

Kev · 31/01/2015 at 14:08

Hey Tom, Jock will post more about this but from memory if you finished top 6 in the qualifying group last year you'll be in Division 3 this year.

I N Pieman · 31/01/2015 at 16:14

I think your right Kev. Top 6 from donors & qualifiers get into divvy 3. I qualified through the donors

Dools · 31/01/2015 at 16:31

Hi Guys I was in Div2 last year but I cant remember if I m dropped or stay so I'm hanging out for something even the drop is cool as I had a lota fun last year when I could get on the site from OS

Wattsieesq · 31/01/2015 at 15:51

Great write up Lekdog. I picked up Zorko afer the bye last year and he truly was magnificent. With the dearth of talent up forward, I don't think I'll be fitting Zorko in from the start. Potential to upgrade to him post byes but with forwards such as Gray, Floggard, Barry Mitchellson, Lids, Swan, or Buddy around, I don't think it'll happen.

I N Pieman · 31/01/2015 at 16:26

Very good point you raise wattie. I’m looking at starting with 4 hopeful keepers. Gray is the first bloke I’ll be chasing. That could only leave 1 spot. And there could still be a few ahead of him when the time arrives

BCHawks · 31/01/2015 at 16:50

I really want the mag to come!!!!!!

I N Pieman · 31/01/2015 at 17:31

I really want the ex wife to pick the kids up so I can read it lol

@jstorm311 · 31/01/2015 at 17:36

Get the kids to read it to you – they read, you analyse. Win Win!!

I N Pieman · 31/01/2015 at 18:02

Couple of footy seasons & they will be old enough to read. Can’t wait. Great idea though jstorm. Some of the first literature they will read will be from the JR magazine. No doubt

BCHawks · 31/01/2015 at 18:28

Higgo said he was coming to my area today but he didn't. I'm shore that I will get it tommorow.

I N Pieman · 31/01/2015 at 18:57

Bit of patience BC. Hell of a lot of mags ordered & the boys are out in the streets delivering. I’m just lucky because I live close by. Jock was knackered when I saw him. Don’t forget the boys won’t stop till the community is happy.

BCHawks · 31/01/2015 at 20:34

I know these guys put in hours of time and I am very thankful for it. Whenever I get the mag I know it will be good.

throttlefinger · 31/01/2015 at 22:29

My friend, you will LOVE the mag more than you'll ever know. It's so deep in wisdoms that if you don't read each article at least 5x, I'd be shocked (not including the centerfold…I'll understand if you only view that once).

@jstorm311 · 31/01/2015 at 17:04

Beautiful analysis mate! The Zork has been in my side since the first time he set foot onto the SC paddock, however, this year he won't be in my line up (to start with). Will be interesting to see how he is initially played, and of course who the opposition taggers give their attention to, ie, D. Beams/Rocky/Zork.
Is definitely on my radar for inclusion into my team later in the season, form permitting.
Keep up the great work Lekky!!

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 18:43

Thanks mate, tend to agree. Will end up in most teams come season end I'm sure.

medadsson · 31/01/2015 at 17:25

Son Son – Michael Walters – fully fit and WILL play through midfield. To me a mid-pricer that you can't afford to ignore.

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 18:44

Some big value players at Freo this year, I like Walters as a pick

George · 31/01/2015 at 17:46

First of all great article Lekdog
Secondly, sorry that this is unrelated but I really need help with my rucks:
1) Which 2 of Kruez/Luey/Bellch/NicNat do you think will have the best year
2) Which rookie ruck (under260k) will get the most game time and have the best year

George · 31/01/2015 at 17:46

Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Dools · 31/01/2015 at 18:34

I’m in the camp of NicNat and Luehamandegggburger.

Bellchambers “Ding Dong’ to me is a trap due to his DPP he has done nothing to prove his worth and at 300K he may as well be 600K To much for an injury prone cover in the FWD line IMHO.
      Kruzer is interesting to me he gets injured too easy but he is capable when on the park…Luehamandeggburger is 12K cheaper then Kruzer so you limit the expense for the same injury prone player who should be just cover for Nic Nat and another ruc like ….whom ever you want I ‘m in the 2 playing Ruc strategy at the moment with a RUC on the pine NOT in the FWD Line ….but 60 odd days to go I may change my mind
      I’m off “To the fridge!!”

throttlefinger · 31/01/2015 at 22:30

Agree Dools about ding dong. I'm considering spending a little more and get Stretch Nicholls instead of Luey. Preseason will dictate but if Stretch is clearly #1 ruck, I'm going to sell a couple CDs and pay for the GCS big man. First season he was majestic. Injury plagued year 2. Streeeeeeeeeeetch.

Off to the coffee maker!

skindog · 31/01/2015 at 22:50

Coffee??? Throtts,, beer o'clock young fella,,,, hows your team looking??

throttlefinger · 31/01/2015 at 22:54

Well, it's 7am but after looking at my team, I should drink, skindog.

skindog · 31/01/2015 at 23:48

Yeah sorry bout that, is it sat or fri over there? these rucks are still killing me mate, im thinking of set and hoefully forget, what ya think, the Dome is nearly full too I see, awesome, hope my names appropriate???

throttlefinger · 31/01/2015 at 23:58

Saturday morning, my man. I'm going back and forth on rucks. Leaning towards Nic Nat and Nicholls (if he proves to be #1 ruck during NAB) and a playing rookie OR having Ryder as my F3 (again, see what he's doing during NAB). My hope is that Wright or Nankevis does well enough to warrant a consideration down the road.

Regardless, I got SLAYED last year by Ryder and Mummy being out. So ruck coverage is about as mandatory as having Gaz as M1.

throttlefinger · 31/01/2015 at 23:59

Ha! And your name is like 14,000 Scrabble points. Again, didn't mind your name last year. Others were less than enthused. Want everyone to be comfortable…at least until R2 then the fur can fly!

skindog · 01/02/2015 at 00:34

Like I said, totally understandable, I was thinking dig dong to make some cash but just don't trust him!! def gotta go nic nat.hes number one for me from the get go, then that's where I keep switching after that,,, personaly I think it has to be pretty strong to start the season with,, shes gonna be a ripper!!!

skindog · 01/02/2015 at 00:36

do you have to work today or just getting into gear for the kids?

OldOcker · 01/02/2015 at 01:26

Why are you not a professional tickler now buddy? I liked that. Ha Ha. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year in your part of the world. Sorry to say i have just started to look at supercoach this year but i am as committed as ever because i live for it. I am getting older and have had another stroke so the typing is a bit slow but the wisdon is not.

Cheers Buddy.

throttlefinger · 01/02/2015 at 01:39

Ocker! Welcome back, my friend. Great to have you back aboard for another season. Lots of tasty nuggets to read on the site. Me and the boys spent the whole off-season writing player reviews. Sure you'll enjoy. And can't wait to hear some of your wisdoms for 2015, especially with the new SC rule changes.

Again, glad to have you back, ol' wise one.

OldOcker · 01/02/2015 at 03:22

Goodaye you professional tickler, What is your occupation now? Ha Ha. Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year. I am a bit slow on the typing these days after having a stroke and being in the 2% of old blokes on this wonderful site but Super Coach is giving me liffe and all i live for. You are a great contributor mate i appreciate it as much as Jock Crouching and Higgo do. I will offer a speadsheet or exel table for the last four years to the community very soon. That is all I can offer and i hope Jock will make it downloadabel for every one. The last 4 years of stats divided into thirds of the season which will also help everybody decide for themselves who are the players to look for if they want to take the time to do it. Unfortunately I did not get a gig for articles

Cheers Mate, Always here to serve the community.

Phil · 31/01/2015 at 18:40

Mate I reckon Nic Nat by the length of the Flemington straight. The other 3 close but I'd say Leuy, Kreuzer then Belly unless if one gets injured (most likely all 3 will)

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 18:49

Currently I have Kreuz and Nic Nat, not a Bellch fan and I think Martin will steal a lot of Lueys points. As for cheap ruckmen it's hard to say. Adelaide like O'Brien but realistically he won't get any game time. J. Griffin from Freo might get some more games. Others to look at are the Swans rucks or Sam Durdin who has already had his contract extended at North.

Leighroy · 01/02/2015 at 11:40

I’m thinking GWS is the way to go for R3. Last year Mumford as per this year is number 1 ruck. Giles backed up mummy last year, as did Boyd and Patton with pitch hit rolls.

Obviously giles is at essendon, Boyd at doggies and Patton out with a knee. Opens up a backup ruck spot and a perminent R1 spot at GWS when mummy goes for his annual vacation.

Backup ruck options are lobb, downie and Phillips. They may also use Stewart in the role they used Boyd last year. I personally think lobb, downie or Phillips will be the Derrickx of last year. I like Phillips right now but NAB cup will give an indication of which way they look like going.

If your starting with a solid R1 with kruzzz or Berger R2 it would be best to start with your R1 having a round 12 bye as GWS have a round 13 bye you can swap your rucks accordingly to there byes and if no injuries avoid a ruck donut throughout the bye period.

If starting R1 has a round 13 you may need to trade or use swing sets to avoid that donut in round 13.

George · 31/01/2015 at 18:07

Who would be the better pick? Zorko's teammate Rick or Daisy Thomas?

George · 31/01/2015 at 18:07

*Rich

@LekBlog · 31/01/2015 at 18:49

Of the two Rich but he takes a midfield spot, I don't think Daisy will be scoring very highly this year even if he has a better year. Too much time up forward.

BCHawks · 31/01/2015 at 19:02

I can't wait to read the article on ruck structures when my mag arrives.

@LekBlog · 01/02/2015 at 01:09

it's an awesome read mate

BCHawks · 01/02/2015 at 09:35

I can imagine it is really looking forward to it!

T-MAC · 31/01/2015 at 19:21

What are peoples thoughts on Seedsman as D4? My backline structure is currently Smith, Hibberd, Shaw, ______, Waters, Goddard, Viojo-Rainbow, Newman. What are the community planning their defence to look like?

Guest · 31/01/2015 at 20:30

Hey T-MAC, I think that your backline is very good an one of the best one's I've seen but I don't think getting Seedsman as you D4 is a smart move

Benn · 31/01/2015 at 20:34

It was me Tommy ahaha

@LekBlog · 01/02/2015 at 01:12

Seedsman is a solid pick, I've seen a few people with him, I'm looking at clancee pearce for my d5 at this stage but I could easily see Seedsman filling that role too.

T-MAC · 01/02/2015 at 10:19

Thanks LekBlog, who would you have, Seedsmen or Newnes?

Leighroy · 01/02/2015 at 11:48

Seedsman has had hip surgery. My backs at the moment are looking like: Heath shaw, Hibbard, newnes, yeo, waters, lever, Goddard, rainbow.

I would like to go cheaper but at this stage can’t see many rookies playing. nab cup will determine if say one of my D1-4 becomes say whitecross, c Pearce or a Roberton etc

Dan · 31/01/2015 at 20:43

Guys I need your opinion. For my midfield I have 596k left and 1 spot remaining. I am considering 3 people on filling that position: Crouch, Griffen or Harvey. Could anyone please help me out with picking one, or if anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear it 🙂

Phil · 31/01/2015 at 22:42

Hi Dan, I'd pick Dangerfield, Boak, or Cotchin before any of those guys but that's just me….Out of them I'd go Griffen.

@LekBlog · 01/02/2015 at 01:10

Fallen premium in Griffen over unproven Crouch and old prick Harvey

BundyBear · 01/02/2015 at 16:31

LOL. That old prick you mentioned was one of the best players last year. And will continue to play well

Ice Cubes · 31/01/2015 at 21:07

What's up guys. There's something I need advise on. I've always liked having Corey Enright in my team but this season I'm not too sure. Many people are saying he's getting too old and he won't go as well this season. However, I still think he has a bit of fight left in him, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd love to hear anyone's opinion on whether I should start off with Enright this season or just leave him out and go with Shaw or someone like that. Cheers guys

skindog · 31/01/2015 at 22:45

Go ya gut Cubes, I like him, could still give you constant decent scores, is getting up there, I cant fit him but I do keep looking at him?? gut son, go the gut, you could do plenty worse than him!!

@LekBlog · 01/02/2015 at 01:14

Currently manning my D2 spot mate, ended the season with a 10 game average of 95 odd and had an injury niggle at the start of the year which brought his overall average to 89. At this stage I've locked him in for one final year, i think he'll end up as the 5th best defender at least.

Ice Cubes · 01/02/2015 at 09:49

Cheers Guys. I'm sure good old Boris has enough in him for one last season

Leighroy · 01/02/2015 at 11:51

There was a player review done on him. Read that it may sway you one way or the other

oDognutZo · 31/01/2015 at 22:17

Great article, I'm liking Zorko's potential but have concerns about his consistency. I think i'll watch his preseason form before giving him a gernsey. Having said that, i have the same concerns about DSwan, his price is tempting but hes either gunna hit the ground running or faceplant 🙂

@LekBlog · 01/02/2015 at 01:14

I'm more concerned about Swan and Goddard than Zorko but I have them all in my forward line at this stage. Of course we must wait til NAB cup.

UNCLE DOC · 31/01/2015 at 23:04

Surely another big reason to not pick Zorko The Great… apart from the arrival of Christiansen, Mitch Robinson and Beams, plus Rich coming back is the fact that when Zorko really killed it was from round 15 onward and thats when Redden was also out with injury. Zorko will average 85-90 this year and is way to inconsistent to consider. Brisbane need grunt in the middle field which will see Robinson spend more time in the Mids than Zorko.

OldOcker · 01/02/2015 at 01:03

Uncle Doc, YOU are 100% correct in my opinion and you also have players like Taylor and Aish who are outside players that can also play inside so i find it very hard to include any Brisbane players from the midfield in my team from the word go until they have played a few games. I have only just started my research for the season and at this early stage Rockliffe and Zorko are OUT.

@LekBlog · 01/02/2015 at 01:18

Averaged 107.7 post-bye last year. Started the year with some niggles and illness but still got several 150+ scores. He's an outside player so the inside grunt player in Robbo and Rocky should feed him nicely. By my calculations should average around 103.9 for the season so it's completely up to people to decide whether he is starter worthy. At this stage in his career i see more upside in him than some of the older blokes we have on offer in the forward line.

In my team at this early stage but will likely be a mid-season pickup. Hanley being out also excites me because his early season scores should pick up a little more than they otherwise would.

throttlefinger · 01/02/2015 at 01:42

Agree with you Lek. More fortified midfield with Hanley out for the first month will mean some deliciousness from the Magnificent One. I mean, the man can go 130+ with relative ease. Midfield there are much better options but the forward line, you're not going to get that type of numbers as often as Zorko can deliver.

OldOcker · 01/02/2015 at 02:46

Cheers Bloke.

throttlefinger · 01/02/2015 at 03:09

LOVE those spreadsheets you create, Ocker. Can't wait for the first batch. They were super helpful last season.

As you boys like to say, good on you, Ocker.

OldOcker · 01/02/2015 at 06:15

The spreadsheet number one to complement the Higginator is coming your way before I send it to Jock. Email coming very soon. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK before I send it to Jock because he may not answer me? I am sure you and the community will enjoy.

Maybe tomorrow i am still working hard for the community.

Cheers Bloke.

OldOcker · 01/02/2015 at 07:35

Spreadsheet on the way buddy. Please tell me what you think by email.

Cheers Buddy.

Dools · 01/02/2015 at 11:44

G'day Ocker,
              Glad to you see you back on line …I was worried that you had given this away mate!!!
              Hope your team is taking shape, you have a lot of reading to do as the lads have been busy for the last 3+ months

OldOcker · 01/02/2015 at 13:09

Goodaye Dools,
                I have been studying what you have all put together and read everything and enjoying every minute I have spent reading. i do not like to make comment or contribution until I have sorted out what I am doing myself.

The back-line is a real worry at the moment, believe me I never give anything up mate as long as i am alive i am here when it matters for the community.

More to come shortly if Jock replies to me.

Cheers Bloke

OldOcker · 01/02/2015 at 13:25

Goodaye Dools,
                I offered my services last year but never heard back
                I sent Throttle a copy of an excel sheet that i am willing to make available to the community. (Sure you will like it) I think Throttle jizzed all over his computer screen.
                my email is ([email protected]) if you want a look i will send it to you.
                I have been busy trying to help the community too.

Cheers.

Dools · 01/02/2015 at 14:58

Hi Ocker I sent you an e-mail just now

Cheers matey

Phil · 01/02/2015 at 11:18

Call me greedy but I want 105 from my forwards this year (should offset the measly 95 from my defenders) and I reckon the following players are capable of getting there.
      1.Gray 2.Franklin 3.Delidio 4.Goddard 5.Martin 6.Swan.
      I'm not as scared off as others about selecting Brisbane players from the start and as such I'm looking at Rockliff. The way I see it, the only time Rocky (and Zorko's) scores have suffered in the past is when they've played as small forwards right? So the inclusion of Robinson and Christensen will benefit them. And if Beams is such a poison chalice does that mean Pendles will average 140?

@LekBlog · 01/02/2015 at 14:38

I wouldn't clal him a poison chalice he's just too damn good! As I have done more research I found Beams tends to buff the scores of players around him which is why I'm not as scared of Brisbane blokes as I was. As someone who never starts with Pendles (usually pick him up post-bye) let's just say I've locked him in for a big year and into my starting lineup.

OldOcker · 01/02/2015 at 02:11

Hi LekBlog, This is my first comment for this year and I did give praise to the Author if that was you but it did not show in my comment for some reason. Zorko's first 8 games which is what I have my excel table worked on for one third of the season has him at 96.8 average. Brisbane had the bye in round ten and Zorko the Great scored 12 in round 9 which would have significantly reduced that average. Zorko first part of season rounds 1-8 = 96.8, rounds 9-16 = 86.9, rounds 17-23 = 116.0, With an average of 99.0 for the season which is nothing to sneeze at as a forward. The query is how is BRISBANE going to structure and who is going to take what role this year with the new guns and up coming rookies. I have no doubt they will cause trouble this year. Zorko is someone that everybody should be thinking about but the year is young and i am sure there will be many more options for top six forwards before crunch time comes. The worry starts with players going to a new team, how they fit into the team and how will it affect other players. IS Rocky truly worth that money. (NO WAY) IS Zorko worth the risk if you like him yes but I am not sure yet.

If this is your article thank you for your effort and contribution to the community,

Good on you LEKDOG.

@LekBlog · 01/02/2015 at 14:42

Thanks mate, love the reply! You're the type of community member that brings a tear of joy to my eye. I'm a big fan of blokes whose average in the last third of the season was higher than their overall average, that upward swing represents value to me. Obviously we need to see how structures work but I think I'm taking a calculated risk with Zorko that should pay off. Rocky is a whole other kettle of fish, big NO for me but lock him in as an upgrade target when he bottoms out.

OldOcker · 01/02/2015 at 14:57

Thanks mate, but unfortunately Zorko did have a gastro complaint at some stage through the early part of the year and he was being crucified my many for that without knowledge. I had him in my team to start with last year. This year is different with the new forward options we have.

Cheers LekBlog.

PS: We have plenty of time before round 1 we are all very likely to make a lot of changes to our teams by then, I may end up on Zork again myself but I will need to get some reliable inside info for that to happen.

Punter · 01/02/2015 at 10:27

G'day, I would like to know if the community believes having Ablett, Pendlebury and Fyfe is the same team is dangerous due to them all having the same bye rounds. My current midfield is Ablett, Pendles, Fyfe, Selwood, Sloane, Cripps, Boekhorst, Heeney, Freeman, Steele, Lambert. If I were to drop one of Pendles or Fyfe, who would it be and what player would come into replace them. I really like Wines, Griffin or Crouch.

Phil · 01/02/2015 at 11:27

To answer your first question I'd say definitely not risky to pick 3 midfielders all with the same bye (it's actually impossible not to when you have 8 starting) You only need 18 playing across all lines so as long as you don't have more than 12 premiums from Round 12, 10 would be more safe. But the 3 guys you mentioned are elite midfielders so you need them. A good argument would be should be, do you pick risky Round 12 players like Bellchambers and Newnes.

Probably Griffen outta 3 mentioned, but if money's not an issue he's nowhere near Ablett, Fyfe or Pendles.

Punter · 01/02/2015 at 11:33

Thanks Phil, you mentioned young Newnes, would you have him as a D4 or would you have someone else like a Clancee Pearce or Paul Seedsmen. I saw a comment further up about Seedsmen just wondering your thoughts

@LekBlog · 01/02/2015 at 14:44

I'm banking on Newnes improving his output from last year, he's my d4 currently but may even end up with d3 position. As for the midfield I'm running with two ultra-premos ABlett and Pendles with Griffen and the like supporting them. Will pick up Fyfe after he's had his inevitable suspension

BCHawks · 01/02/2015 at 19:44

How many premo mids are you starting with Lek?

David · 01/02/2015 at 20:32

I want wines toooooo he is a beast and the finals……. I mean c'mon he is going to be Ports best player by far and I'm not a Port fan lol

@LekBlog · 02/02/2015 at 17:14

At this stage four premo guns and two underpriced players in Griffen and Swallow.

BCHawks · 02/02/2015 at 19:16

Looks to be the right thing to do!

skindog · 01/02/2015 at 20:32

Wow, with that starting midfield you are definitely lacking in other areas!! good luck!!

RooBoy · 01/02/2015 at 21:35

Been wrestling with the same issue as many have suggested this problem – another way I've looked at it is, if Fyfe is, say 10 points per game better than the next best option, then if you wait 'til after his bye to pick him you're down 11 x 10 = 110 points.
    So imo it's line ball whether you lose his points in Rd 12 or lose his points in Rds 1 to 11.

Phil · 01/02/2015 at 13:33

Tough one punter personally I like Newnes but a lot of people seem to be liking Seedsman as well.

@LekBlog · 01/02/2015 at 14:45

Newnes for me

Tom McVilly · 01/02/2015 at 14:02

Is there only 10 spots in a league now??? Or this just my league

@LekBlog · 01/02/2015 at 14:45

Whoever made the league chooses how many people, games etc.

Tom McVilly · 01/02/2015 at 18:31

How do I make it 18 teams and every game??

BundyBear · 01/02/2015 at 16:34

What league are you talking about ? maybe i missed something somewhere

Tom McVilly · 01/02/2015 at 19:28

Like a private league

David · 01/02/2015 at 20:26

Call me crazy but im thinking of of Pyke and Giles as my starting Rucks :0

David · 01/02/2015 at 20:30

Need to save that coin for better fwd and back line this year because last year shows that the old reliables are getting a bit long in the tooth. Also the new scoring system has thrown me off even Naitanui at his sweet price.

@LekBlog · 02/02/2015 at 17:13

You are crazy! I actually don't hate the idea of Giles, read my article on him if you haven't. Can't support you on Pyke though, I'd look for a different pick than him.

Trab Pukcip · 04/02/2015 at 14:42

Made the mistake on taking pyke over Jacobs last year! Don't do it, you will only end up frustrated, behind the 8 ball and trying to offload him at a cheaper price!! In his 4 game draw rounds 2-5 he will be rucking against LOBBE – MUMFORD – SANDILANDS – MINSON! He averaged 72 against those opponents over 6 games last year! Coincidently if you go Giles he and Pyke may be rucking against each other 1st week.