Defense is fickle in 2015 – Is Johnson a worthy option?

TG Footy Tracgic - DexterWhat were our top 10 options in defense for 2014 from a minimum of 18 games?

In order, they were: Malceski, McVeigh, Hanley, Swallow, Bartel, Simpson, Burgoyne, Smith, Shaw, and Hodge.

How many of these players are available in defense in 2015? 6 – Malceski, Simpson, Burgoyne, Smith, Shaw, Hodge.

How many of those available averaged 95+? 2. (Malceski & Simpson).

What average should we realistically look for in a defender for season 2015? I’d think your top 3 defenders need a 95-100 average, and your D4-6 should average 85-95 come season end.

What do you want from your defenders in 2015?

I would say consistency is much more optimal over ceiling.

Do you want a Scott Thompson type? Who can smash out 170’s every blue moon littered with 40-60 scores in-between.

Or do you want a Michael Johnson type? Johnson has a 120 odd ceiling; but more than half of his scores have been above 90.

2015 Price: $468,500
2015 Position: DEF
Games last season: 18
Average last season: 87.2
100+ Games last season: 5
Sub 80 games last season: 7
Price range last season: $386K-$499K
Missed games last season: 4; RD 13-16 (Medial Ligament Strain – Knee)
Significant history: Averaged 86.9 in 2013, 89.41 in 2012
Suspended for 3 weeks (club imposed) for Cocaine possession in 2010
Drafted at pick 8 in the 2003 Pre-Season draft.

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Johnson Started 2014 in supreme form. Up until the bye, he scored all his 5 tons and dropped below 91 once (76) to average 98.4. Post bye, however, he scored over 75 three times for no 100+ scores to average 75.9.

Johnson injured his knee in the middle of the third quarter in round 12, and subsequently missed the next 4 and he returned in round 17 for a respectable 84. His next three games he topped out at 75 – clearly impeded by his knee. Round 21 saw a season high 29 disposals and 98SC points and a hopeful return to form.

Unfortunately, he sustained a back injury against Brisbane Lions and tried to play through it the following week, resulting in season ending surgery and two more sub 80 scores.

Removing his 3 injury affected scores he would have averaged 91 – for a defender, that’s worthy of a D3 spot.

Digging deeper, you notice his disposal efficiency is exemplary. 2014 netted 77%, and 2013 & 2012 was 81% DE. Over the last three years he’s averaged a shade under 20 disposals and 6.7 Marks. He hates a cuddle (avg 1.8 tackles) and doesn’t mind a rebound 50 (avg 3.6).

Looking at his stats from the last 3 seasons – we see the following:

Image 1

Now, bear in mind – Johnson is a prospective D4-6, so we want an average of 85+. I think he shows enough for that position.

The best prospect I see from the above is the amount of 90’s he gets – in addition to the 100’s. If he can bridge the gap between his best and worst, his average can jump into the mid 90’s.

From 2015; providing he is over his back woes, he should return to his best – an intercepting, rebounding defender that should get a 90+ score more often than not.

Since 2011, Johnson has missed 5 games (excluding finals). If he’s true to this, he could go all season without missing, or if the Lyon effect is to happen – he may get rested.

RISK FACTORS

Season ending back injury in 2014 – could be a slow starter or re-injure.
Is 30, could age catch up?
Ross the Toss Lyon could put a spanner in the works.

SELECTION PURPOSE

Pick him as a D4-6 keeper. Don’t trade him out unless injury strikes.
I see him being a top 10 defender if fit, he should be a potential upgrade target if you don’t start him.

THE GOOD

• Insane levels of Disposal Efficiency. 4 of his last 61 games have been at 100% DE (From a minimum of 12 disposals)
  • Loves a kick, good intercepting marker = SC rolled gold.
  • Playing for a team that wins more often than not & he scores better in wins.

THE DOWNSIDE

• Hates to tackle. (Averaged 1.8 a game in the last 3 years)
  • Season ended by injury. Could re-injure. Could start slow.
  • Ross Lyon. Need I say more?

THE VERDICT

Most players have stinkers & Johnson isn’t any different. His lows aren’t as low as a Scott D. and similarly, his Highs aren’t as high. Those low scores can single-handedly lose you head-to-head matches.

I prefer a lower SD from my players – defenders even more so and seeing how fickle defense is this year; Johnson is a much safer pick. So; providing he gets through the off-season injury free and is picked round 1 – Johnson will be in my team for 2015.

Welcome to Soap-On-A-Rope Michael Johnson.

Dexter

Twitter: @TG_Footy_Tragic

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock ReynoldsThis article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

WombatsFC · 11/01/2015 at 00:15

Excellent Dexter thanks. I agree 100% lock him into the 2nd line, expect 90-105, don't trade him until he breaks.
He has scored 150+ at Patterson's and at the inside one.

NumbatsFC · 11/01/2015 at 00:28

You meatloafed me fatso

throttlefinger · 11/01/2015 at 00:22

After seeing your tasty midfield, I understand why MJ will be on SOAR (was the acronym intentional). The back injury (usually lingers) and Ross factor has me a bit concerned. Been eyeballing Chancee and Ibbo as a bit cheaper and equally risky propositions. Preseason will see which of the three look ready to move upward SC-wise.

One of the three have a decent shot to making the TF side. Solid review. MJ is now on the radar for my M2 or M3.

Rayza Ray · 11/01/2015 at 00:27

I do rate him Dexter but in all seriousness this bloke is equivalent to Bruce Reid held together by sticky tape.

jockreynolds · 11/01/2015 at 09:14

"Yesss… Bruce Reid has snapped in hooaalllf" Champagne

Give It A Go · 11/01/2015 at 01:50

Has had some good scores but on avg, over 9 years has only avg 71, can get a cracking score but only played 18 games with injuries, prone to miss games under Ross! Is he worth the price tag??

Off the subject, whats your thoughts on Brett Goodes, first year avg 79, second year blues 44, 3rd year, worth a punt?

cheers

General Soreness · 11/01/2015 at 09:54

If my memory serves correct, Goodes was delisted then thrown a bone with rookie spot, clearly not seen as a best 22 player I expect the likes of Johannisien, Hrovat & co to go ahead.

Jordan · 11/01/2015 at 07:39

Pretty sure he is still in the rehab group at freo and won’t return to full training until early feb

General Soreness · 11/01/2015 at 08:11

Great write up Dexter, his numbers actually surprised me a bit to have me contemplating him, then I read back injury and I picked up my ten foot pole!

General Soreness · 11/01/2015 at 09:52

General Soreness · 11/01/2015 at 09:55

Bloody posting from iPhone!

Kev · 11/01/2015 at 09:02

Fair bit of coin for a D4 IMO. Would possibly entertain him if he drops to the 380-390k mark. The return of Ibbo/Clancee may also have an impact on those R50 numbers. Not putting a line through him just yet, but on the outer edges of the radar.

Cracker of a piece, Dex!

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 11/01/2015 at 12:05

Hey Kev, thanks for the kind words.

IMO, Ibbo is in the same boat as Jaensch – one good year amongst a few other crap years isn't really worth a look. 94 from 13 games isn't really much to go on.

Clancee is in a similar boat. 91 in 2012, then crap.

I'd say Duffield is higher than the above 2. 3 90+ years is a better formline to go on.

I N Pieman · 11/01/2015 at 09:11

Defenders are very fickle. MJ hmmmm to fickle with injuries. Nice player to watch but but unlikely for my team. Nicely done again Dex.

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 11/01/2015 at 12:01

Cheers INP.
    He did miss a few pre 2011, but 2011-2013 he missed 1 game. hardly fickle mate.

I N Pieman · 11/01/2015 at 18:52

I did read about all the surgery & no training till
      Feb. He won’t get much preseason before the round 1. Risky pick Dex

lostlarrikin · 12/01/2015 at 00:17

Yeah have to agree. I have had MJ on my radar for a while but just can't entertain with next to no pre season.
        Superb stuff none the less Dex.

WombatsFC · 11/01/2015 at 15:16

Hi Itchy, Witts and Grundy anything definitive from the Pies on these two? Whats the general opinion amongst supporters

I N Pieman · 11/01/2015 at 18:54

No significant news on either wombat. Personally I think they are at least another season or 2 away from any relevance. I like Grundys aggression but he gives away to many frees.

Chicko · 11/01/2015 at 09:43

Quality Dex! I had him precisely nowhere in my team but you now have me thinking my man. Question is, if MJ is D3 in your starting squad, and with your mid set up, who is D1 and D2?

MASO · 11/01/2015 at 09:53

Have had him in the past for he's consistency not in my side at this stage due to salary cap pressure and his age .
Great work Dex

FlatChat · 11/01/2015 at 10:37

MJ has had 3 lots of surgery prior to Christmas (back, knee and shoulder). He still hasn’t started training and is getting around on a scooter. Very little chance of him lining up in Round 1.

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 11/01/2015 at 11:56

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I can see where you guys are coming from regarding Johnson's 2014 injuries. They tend to scare us off. But he played every H&A game in 2012 and 2011. Missed 1 game in 2013.

I feel though, if he can overcome them and string together a few good weeks of solid training and match practice before the season regular starts – he could be a cheap D3 option.

Who else do we have? I'll either go Johnson (pending injury), Duffield (my burns are healing), or Hurn – Captaincy is an unknown.

I have Shaw and Hibberd above him in my team at the moment. I won't spend above 500k on a defender, so Malceski, Simpson, Burgoyne, Smith are not starters – all targets to upgrade to…

Gibson is irrelevant at 497k. Not to mention a KPD.
Hodge's age and tendency to miss 2-3 games has me too worried to pick him.
I'm not sold on Jaensch – he could bring up 100's but also throw too many 30-50's out. Not to mention his prev best year averaged 74. I'll need to look at him for a few weeks and contemplate an upgrade.
Enright has been serviceable – but if eel he is past it.
Birchall can pump out 150's, but spits out 40's just as often. needs consistency. shake the tag.
Kelly is past it and irrelevant at that price.
Rance is also irrelevant at that price. KPD.
Murpy – Age, Captaincy, new Coach. No thanks.
Walker is the next Burnman after Higgins – exclude 2013 and he is irrelevant.
Other than the above mentioned, I feel there aren't any other picks to contemplate.

I'm open to your thoughts. These are purely my thoughts and opinions.

taylorwoof · 11/01/2015 at 14:32

Good article TG! Johnson is a good scorer when sound and on song. Unfortunately not for me though. May take a punt on his team mate Clancee instead.

I respect those thoughts re defenders above TG!

There isn't a whole lot to choose from down back, and you make valid reasons 'against' most of them. I'm finding myself going with Malceski. Happy paying early overs to have a 100 > player in my defence. Plenty of savings elsewhere to offset that.

On Michael Johnson, i think his output may hinge on the fitness of Luke McPharlin. If McPharlin can't get on the park, then Johnson has to take the 2nd tall forward (1st Fwd to Zac Dawson). As we know defensive roles are bad. McPharlin stays sounds, Johnson plays the 3rd man up – Drop back in the hole position which provides good scores. Food for thought anyway.

Jock · 11/01/2015 at 17:12

Gday lads, in the caravan till Sat so hope this gets through. If he proves his fitness and gets at least a reasonable preseason under his belt he could be the selection of the season. If he gets to rd 1 fit Dexter – he’ll be locked into JR Brumby FC

WombatsFC · 11/01/2015 at 21:14

Hi Guys,due to too many variables with defensive premiums this year I'm considering a radical change of strategy. No premiums in backline at all and extra premiums in the middle and up front where the points are. an example is Eski at 560k or Treloar at 570k. Simmo at 512k or Ollie at 530k

With newnes, docherty, set for bigger roles and Johnson, waters, ibbo and clancee all expected to score reasonably and increase in price, I don't think a final decision on defenders is required until about week 4.

What are the pitfalls of this strategy? Have any of you tried it before?

dognino · 11/01/2015 at 22:12

At this stage I'm thinking about the same kind of strategy, rather than picking my D1-3 keepers for the season, pick 4 -5 mid prices , who hopefully 3 of end up being keepers at D4-6 by the end of the season, and gives me a chance to see who the top 3 will be , by the bye rounds

WombatsFC · 11/01/2015 at 22:20

Hi dognino, yep it's looking like a sound strategy to me but I'd only be looking at 2 of my starters as possible D5,6 keepers. Even if Eski is exactly the same scorer that he was at Swans which is highly unlikely Treloar would still be 10-20 p/round better, for an extra 10k thats a genuine bargain.

dognino · 11/01/2015 at 22:26

Current backline I have in the higg,
        newnes, labumba, docherty, rampe, waters, Pearce and 2 rooks . Think I'm going crazy….

Agree on treloar , with Griffey there should take a bit more of the tag from him too. Elite disposal , should be a great pick this year

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 00:08

Not crazy dognino just 1 too many rooks

throttlefinger · 11/01/2015 at 22:35

Thinking along those lines, Womby. Although modified. D1/2 I'm planning on locking in: Heater and Hibbert/Enright then going middies from there. Pierce/Ibbo/Waters (even considering Vlaustin for that cheaper DPP). Def is definitely a wait and see line for both correctives and, more likely, bye round upgrades.

WombatsFC · 11/01/2015 at 23:52

Hi throttle, was that backline insight deliberately provocative? Hibberd has the much desired Wombat atribute of 'see ball get ball' but also the much less desired Human physiology of tissue paper hamstrings, when combined these two characteristics spel INJURED. Like a lot of injury plagued Bombers his only full season was in 2013 (approximately 12months after the commencement of an undocumented supplements regime at essendon) and either side of that he has been costly to supercoaches. I expect his soft tissue to succumb to the strain, again and his average to be closer to presupplement influence levels. I'd spend the money on swan/titch or Bennel upfront instead.Heater and Corey are both backline legends but so was Brian Lake. They are both going the wrong way as far as Supercoach is concerned. Don't pick your defenders to fix last years mistakes.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 00:08

Ah the almighty Wombat finger wag. Thought I'd go a posting without one. Yet, I think this one time it should've stuck to scooping up the ol' Mallomars.

We learn from last year's mistakes. Don't fix them in hopes history is re-written. Moving forward is always my state of mind and being mindful of what I did last year and the past year are good practices overall.

Heater and Corey to Lake is just a poor analogy, SC wise. Lake had a very obvious SC decline. Heater and Corey's had a below their average yet not bad season. Heater had a strong year on a side that is improving. Feel well within him to get 100 . Corey had a down year but that was more due to injury than form.

Hibberd could get injured. Yet, that's the case with MJ. Or Burgoyne. Or Ibbo for that matter. Yet if Sandi can go a full year fit, it's in the cards for all.Think Hibberd is not going any lower than 90 so that would

Not a big Bennel fan at the moment. Bit undercooked. Already going swan/titch in forward. Feeling good about upfront. Mids are stout. Rucks are well covered. Def is the line where I'm gonna roll the dice a bit. Your insight wasn't necessarily provocative as it was affirming a point many have been making.

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 00:19

Hey Throtts.

Shaw isn't in my side, but the recruitment of Joel Patfull could be beneficial for his scoring output.

If GWS have Patfull, Davis and Mohr all healthy, then no 'lock down' defensive roles for Shaw. I didn't watch all GWS games closely last year, but the Fan Footy profile suggests he played a number of defensive/stopping roles last year. Injuries to Davis and Mohr would have attributed to this.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 00:31

I watched most of their games (member since 2013), and the injuries to Davis and Mohr certainly didn't help. Not completely sold on him.

And truth be told, considering just going mid pricers back there and seeing how the def top 10 shakes out. Which I'm assuming that's what ol' Womber is advocating. Starting with Newnes at D1 could be the call of the year.

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 00:36

That you mention Top 10.

Was looking through old spreadsheets last night. Only two players appear on both 2013 and 2014 top 10 point scorers list for Defenders. One now in the midfield, Hanley. The other two expensive for most, The Esky.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 00:43

Wow. That makes this approach more genius than risky. Funny when you look at the top 10 priced DEFs, none give you the feeling you had looking in last year's top 10. Bartel, Hanley, S.Mitchell. McVeigh.

Back to the Higginator.

I apologize Womby. Very provocative insight. You may need to be anointed "Lord of the Defenders."

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 00:50

You're spot on there re last years defenders. We were like kids in a candy store, couldn't fit enough of them in!

FYI

Rance 1918
                  Hanley 1914
                  Murphy 1882

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 00:24

Lol Extremely obvious 99,92,104,58 everybody saw that coming

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 00:29

Ha! Lumphead. Talking what followed. That's the trend that he's not worth as much anymore. Not the one off. Silly man.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 00:46

Fair enough, I could have said it better.Backline is definite Moneyball this year so we should be researching risk minimisation lineups in defense The older an AFL player gets the more susceptible to soft tissue injuries they become. I'd be suprised to see Heater, hibberd or Enright line up in 2016 and doubt any of them will have a 'last season' worth rememberingI'm not attacking you I'm just SHARING  47+ years of footy watching, playing and coaching experience. I became an AFL Certified Coach in 1995/6 (it doesn't say WombatsFC either). I suffered last year the exact same truama that I see the backbone of your backline delivering you this year. If I didn't have injuries to old Premo's and COREY last year I would have got the weekly cash once or twice.Lumphead?

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 00:55

Lumphead = term of endearment. Maybe should've polished with a touch more niceness. Apologies.

My friend, you are admittedly not years but LIGHT YEARS ahead of me in both footy and SC knowledge. Many times I feel you're getting the bad end of the stick since my insights are powered by pure enthusiasm and lots of SC reading. You know I had a bad year last year, so I guess was reacting to your thought that I was leaving in SC past. A deep breath may have helped.

But in the end, I bow to thee in this matter. Like I said below, you should be crowned "Lord of the Defenders." Think your mid price defender strategy is brilliant. And in the last hour I've been playing with it in the Higginator and liking the results. Bravo.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 01:07

No worries. I was going to condemn a pitiful attempt at an insult as Wombats wear headlumps proudly as a testament to their bulldozer lifestyle.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 01:09

I figure like all Wombats you're proud of your battle scars.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 00:12

On an unrelated but equally important note…this is just lame. They need to hang it up. Not a band without Malcolm.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 00:28

Not gonna look, sorry.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 00:33

Please don't, my friend. After viewing I had to immediately had to cleanse with two listens to "Ain't No Fun Waiting to be a Millionaire".

We should start a petition. Don't they have enough loot? Can't Angus do that blues guitar album we all secretly wish he'd do?!/!?

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 00:52

I love Aint no fun.. 'Hello Howard, how ya going friend next door neighbour? Get your effing Jumbo jets out of my airport'. Is just one of several classic shakespearian lines from Sir Bon (the first punk) in that song. Obviously written late on a sunny weekend afternoon.Soul Stripper is my guitar heroin. I hear yidaki (didgeridoo) instead of base and instantly I'm back on the flat bit. it works due to the clapping sticks.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 00:59

HAHAHA. Bon's throw away lines like that are just without peer.

Never has their been a better combo in music and lyrics than Bon Scott-era AC/DC. Let the drones have "Stairway to Heaven" and "Baba O'Reilly". Bon and the boys capture the heart, soul and power of R'n'R. And music.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 02:16

The brilliant thing is that life was like that in 1970's Australia.
                  Rose Tattoo, Cold Chisel, Hush, Daddy Cool, Divinyls just to name a few.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 02:25

Shit man, 70s everywhere. Cactus, Stray Dog, Budgie, Atomic Rooster, Juan de la Cruz Band, etc. Hell, I use to have a radio show on East Village Radio devoted to obscure rock bands, most from the 70s. Such a great period of music.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 02:36

yeah I know I'm old when I complain that the writing element is missing from most song writing and all the music sounds the same.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 02:46

I listen to a lot of metal and there's some great stuff being done there. But in regards to rock, few have the dedication to craft. More interested in singles. Oh well. Plenty of old stuff to listen to.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 21:44

You remember these guys? Seems bird bands were in during the 70s.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 22:00

I think I remember the name but if they weren't on countdown I probably haven't

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 22:21

Aussie hard rock band. Bass player Mark Evans played in the early AC/DC lineup…replacing Malcolm!

taylorwoof · 11/01/2015 at 23:24

When you line them up like that, Treloar and Wines look much better options.

Pitfalls of that strategy would be those 'mid range' players are more susceptible to go ar$e up, and leave you with awkwardly priced turds to move in defence. Especially if all flopped, unlikely but you never know…

Haven't tried it mate. Lowest amount of 490 > defenders i've put through the Higginator so far is two.

Using your strategy what number of 500 > is it allowing you in the mid field….6, 7?

WombatsFC · 11/01/2015 at 23:54

Hi Taylor, I'm currenty at 7 in the middle and of the opinion that I'll lose less in both expected points and dollars if Newdoch doesn't work than I would when Eski/Simmo/Hibberd/Heater/Burgoyne go backwards.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 00:36

This strategy can allow you do to many things: fortify the front line (Garlett as F6…mmmm, tasty!), 3 playing mid price rucks (only $20K more expensive than having Jacob/Kreuze/Cox) and create an explosive midfield.

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 00:45

I'm starting to go cold on Gartlett. Thinking if he can't consistently hit 75 > , then he's a little too expensive. Been thinking purely GnRs up front.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 00:49

He's definitely one to watch preseason for a lock, Twoof. Think all the 5/6 spots are filled by preseason performance and R1 selections. I'm hoping he pans out. If he looks good, hope is that he can average 80. Given that the Dees have an emerging midfield, Garlett could become a nice benefactor of that.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 02:28

We know he's capable of going well above 80 semi-consistently. if I downgrade titch to him I could have Rich at M8 instead of freeman. That will be team 547_aa_067_b

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 00:59

Yep it's an ominous midfield throtts it starts Gaz, Pendle, Fyffe and has Griffen at M7 end up with Clark/hogan as F5/6

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 01:01

DANG. Still leaning on Cripps to be my M7. But you're suggestion just opened up a new credit line.

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 01:11

Jesus……Griffen starting at M7, 'Juggernaut Midfield Strategy'.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 02:25

Gun Midfielders and forwards supported up by recoverers backed up by 8 neverplayeds. Where's the danger in that?

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 01:14

I had to pass up on young Cripps and Biggs and I took a gamble on Freeman/Boek at M8I might end up going back to Cripps and/or Biggs depending on NAB.Really keen to see if SOJ (should be SOIB) ctakes on Simmos role during NAB. That'll makes things a whole lot easier

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 01:24

SOIB is another I'm keen on watching from a fan standpoint yet the $300K makes him tough to fit in.

Leaning on Boek as I'll want him nice and fat for culling R11.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 01:32

I'm expecting 75-110 range from him it all depends on how much of the forward delivery jobs they give him. Training would suggest equal share with Simmo

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 01:36

That's quite a range. You have high and higher expectations for SOIB.

If share with Simmo, could be a perfect D3.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 01:41

I don't really see any other way for his game to go. Lovely kick either foot fast and courageous and, an organically appointed leader.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 01:45

I'm a big fan. He's a natural. Was always a player easy to spot when watching the Blues last year.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 01:37

What's your take on Docherty?

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 01:41

Who? I think they delisted him.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 01:44

Hahaha. Please tell me you're joking. http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-12-10/young

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 02:06

The following is true Story only the names have been changed to protect the guilty. It clearly identifies my opinion of how he'll do in 2015.I was dating a woman who worked in the buying office at Saks 5th Avenue. For MY FIRST weekend away from a city in the USA she took me to Newhope Pennsylvannia. I have no objections to the lifestyle and I immediately identified enormous menage et trois or even menage et quatre  potential. Somehow I got talked into visiting a vegetable winery and most of it was absolute crap until the the 2007 vintage Carrotts schnapps. No menage et anything. My date tried to pick up a hot couple from Lesbia, falsley stating that I'd suggested it and the less feminine one got all agro with me. The problem was that she was from Brooklyn and when she spoke all I heard was Bugs Bunny so i had a big grin on my face as she threated to 'Slap me upside my head'.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 02:14

Delightful yarn bordering on a shaggy dog, yet nice ending.

So you don't dig no Sam Docherty?

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 02:19

Research the philosophical vegetable shcapps.

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 01:47

TrollsFC

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 02:07

I must be a bit too short for that one TW its gone straight over.

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 02:14

TF "What's your take on Docherty?"

Wombats "Who? I think they delisted him."

You had to be trolling right there ^ Hence TrollsFC

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 02:18

Sorry mate I thought I was replying to Throttle.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 02:28

HAHA. He wasn't trolling. Given me a SC riddle. Does that from time to time.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 02:20

Call Wombats the "SC Flu." Hot one minute, cold the next. Good to load up on the vitamin C before conversing.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 11:54

I think he's gold this year TWoof

WombatsFC · 11/01/2015 at 23:57

and three up front plust Titch, no swan

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 00:11

We've got to take risks somewhere. Make them educated as possible. Appears that's your plan down back.

That's a strong MID, FWD structure with 10 x 500 > and Titch.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 00:27

and enough to turn titch to swan. Yeah I firmly believe that's where all the big points are this year. although I'll struggle to 380 out of defense I make up the difference plus a few

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 00:41

Coin up the sleeve handy to make that corrective trade if necessary.

I'm seriously considering all of, or at least two of: Griffen, A.Swallow, J.Steven in my midfield. Or i could just be crazy from the late nights and excessive caffeine.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 00:56

Mr Swallow looking very tasty to me as well TW but his little brother is heaps better footballer. No Way! How is that possible? Yes Way but he costs too much  Not sold on Jack getting away from number 1 tagger

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 01:09

Yep, David is too expensive. On the other hand, Andy isn't…….+ Levi has exited the mid field at Arden St too!

Neither am i, but when i look back at that 2013 season…..it's making it difficult to resist. When a bloke has the ability to find the pill 47 times whilst being tagged by Crowley…respect!

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 01:18

Thanks heaps TW he's back on the radar. I think theres still a few saints games to play on Foxtel I might have a look.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 02:02

Great point, TW. Been going back and forth whether I should do Wells or spend the extra loot for Steven.

Think Dunstan and some of the other youngsters will make things easier on JS. Think last year was a new and frustrating experience…for all the Saints. Only way from there is up, right?

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 02:11

I would spend the extra coin for Steven. He's 25 in March, upside left in him unlike Wells.

Still got Montagna and Armitage in there as well. Hayes gone, and even Clint Jones was given the boot means few more clearances/contested possessions up for grabs.

Up is the only way for the Saints, for sure….though it'll be a slow and grinding climb up the ladder.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 02:20

Yeah, he may be the perfect M7 in this mid-crazed def structure. Thanks for the brilliant insight, Twoof.

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 02:36

No probs TF!

I've got to head back into Higginator and try out this mid-crazed def structure.

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 02:47

Yeah. Been doing that for the last 30 minutes. Wife is giving me the stare to help clean up. Gonna wait until stare turns into a yell.

Dools · 12/01/2015 at 00:23

Wombats I see where this heading . I think you have the rights in this mate. I plugging in all sorts in Defence and my Keyboard and Next G device are laughing at the selection combos.

WombatsFC · 12/01/2015 at 00:31

Yep Dools Backline is pure Politics this year. Everybody walking around smoking cigars or carrying an imaginary slab under eacharm making promises that they know they wont keep

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 00:37

MINT!

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 01:00

More gold from the Dean of the Defenders.

taylorwoof · 12/01/2015 at 01:07

Hahahahahaha…..The Dean, Dean Pritchard!

throttlefinger · 12/01/2015 at 01:10