TBC: Tom Bellchambers or To Be Confirmed?

Big Ben - a man on a missionBig Tom Bellchambers is a big beast of a man. He is the epitome of a genuine Ruckman who was probably born about 20 years too late in regards to his AFL standing. Let’s not beat around the bush here, he isn’t one of these ‘prancin’ around athletic Ruck/ FWD types that can take huge pack marks, win games off his own boot and look majestic all at the same time.

So what is TBC? That is an interesting question and one that might very well be on the minds of many fantasy coaches’ minds. Well ladies and gents, sit back, crack a frothie and relax as it’s time to delve into the workings of the number one Essendon Ruckman for season 2015.

2015 Price: $302,500
2015 Position: RUCK
Games last season: 7
Average last season: 56.29
100+ games last season: 0
Sub 80 games last season: 7
Price range last season: $437K – $286k
Missed games last season: Missed too many to list, Ankle Injury
Significant history: Averaged 80-85 pts seasons 2012-13
Number one big man at Essendon
Drafted at pick 8, 2007 pre-season draft

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Tom Bellchambers season in 2014 was a complete write off. Patrick Ryder was in career best form and TBC was struggling with an ankle injury that kept him out for most of the season. When the big man was back on the paddock, he was playing well below par and was producing some pretty average supercoach scores along the way.

RISK FACTOR

As stated previously, he was injured for the duration of 2014. With the loss of Ryder but the gain of J. Giles, he will be given every chance to cement his spot as the number one big man but if he breaks down with injuries again it will be tough to pry away Giles spot in the ruck

SELECTION PURPOSE

I feel like TBC might very well be the ruck pickup of the year as his average was well down and with that comes a small price tag. I kind of get the feeling that, if you can afford it, Bellchambers might just be the super sub ruckman that every team would want. I am not saying he is going to come out and punch out 100+ per week as a premier ruckman, but with such a low price tag and the opportunity to grasp that main role, he might very well average 80-90 each week.

THE GOOD

• His price tag.
  • Will likely be the #1 ruckman down at Windy Hill
  • Will be fresh after some serious time off injured
  • Will be fighting to hold his spot over Giles

THE DOWNSIDE

• ASADA Infractions, enough said
  • Injury history the last couple of years
  • Might lost his spot to Giles if the former GWS big man goes hard

THE VERDICT

Tom Bellchambers should be on all of your radars for next year. If he can get fit and have a big pre-season, at the very least I can see him being a stepping stone and increasing in value. I see the big man taking up R3 in Big Ben FC next season

YES for me

What are your thoughts on Tom Bellchambers?

Big Ben

Twitter: @Big_BenFC

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock ReynoldsThis article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

@daveywarhol · 13/12/2014 at 01:08

I'm with you on this one… if they're fit RD 1, my starting rucks will be TBC and Kreuzer.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 13/12/2014 at 06:17

Significant Double B. Very very significant. Probably wouldn’t have given him much thought until you delivered this gem. If your thinking of a couple of injury prone cheap rucks to start he’s probably a perfect R3. I’d suggest Dools fridge will be getting one hell of a working over today after he reads this beauty. Well done.

Dools · 13/12/2014 at 13:15

Fridge is working out over time INP Pre chissy work load is impressive.
    So when do we catch up My Esky fridge and SC mate? I have taken up a great drinking game involves Santa's hat on the TV Lots of shots go down range during the Cricket lol

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 13/12/2014 at 19:09

Mouthwatering Dools. Let’s organise something my friend. I’m penning a ripper for you & Wombats on Viojo Rainbow. I like him a lot having dug deep. Anyway I’ve just got home from a tremendously sucsessful day at the beach without having to resort to tinder. A premium & a rookie. If your up for the Boxing Day test I’m keen.

General Soreness · 13/12/2014 at 07:04

Great work BB, love the early R3 call. TBC behind too many ruck options this year even at R3 for my team on various incarnations you could actually have Luey or Kruze at R3. The rucks are shaping as a very interesting line in 2015.

MASO · 13/12/2014 at 08:16

I hope for the Bombers sake he has a massive year , he is right up on top with kruze for me as rucks to watch . great article BB

Jonty · 13/12/2014 at 08:52

Anyone have any information on when prices and full gameplay will be released?

MASO · 13/12/2014 at 22:59

around the 18th for gold subscribers it has been in the past

Kev · 13/12/2014 at 09:31

Cheers BB. Massive risk to take in as a R3 IMO, especially with a Luey and Kruze combo as R1/2. I'd be very nervous about his body holding up under the rigours of being first choice ruck. As you said, not majestic enough so using him as a cash cow or as a stepping stone with his low average disposals/marks i see him as a high risk/low reward scenario.

throttlefinger · 13/12/2014 at 10:38

Top shelf, Double B. He's also going to be a DPP, given AFL Fantasy has him listed as one (and they tend to dupe each other on DPPs). I've already figured him in as either an R3 or F5 depending how the rook rucks look for playing time. As you've expertly stated, the carpet has been laid out for TBC. Will he step up or step off this season? 95/5 if DPP, 75/25 if only ruck.

phil · 13/12/2014 at 12:03

Yeah pretty much agree with Throttle. If DPP 95/5 to start F5. If not DPP Id only have him 50/50 at best, probably fighting out R2 with Leuy. For what its worth he should be DPP because he was this year and he hardly played, and when he did it was mostly up forward.

Great review, Ive been waiting for this one.

throttlefinger · 13/12/2014 at 21:15

So have I Phil.

Not feeling Kreuzer? Think Luey is a better ruck option? Would agree if he was a solo ruck.

Dools · 13/12/2014 at 12:22

Great read Ben
I have been mulling over this player since reading your article this morning.
To be honest I'm no closer to picking him as a Ruck over Kruzer or Luey . Now coupled with the arrival of J. Giles his ruc relevance is less appealing. As a DPP player he has slightly more relevance but a massive risk vs reward (Coin increase to use him as a stepping stone). A firm "No" from me unless things change drastically during the pre season.

jockreynolds · 14/12/2014 at 10:05

Very interesting read Big Ben and I agree mate – if he stays on the park he's the clear #1 ruck at Windy Hill. And if that's ow he's lining up Rd 1 youre right… he will be bloody hard to overlook. There are some other arousing ruck prospects around the joint but he deserves to be named amongst them I reckon. Game changing review Big Ben you're a ripper

Leighroy · 14/12/2014 at 10:11

Great article, all preseason I was thinking kreuzer and giles. Going to depend on preseason and dpp. If nic nat is a fwd/ruck then lock in forward line. Hope giles or bell chambers is also ruck/fwd and that dpp will be enough to sway me I think unless we have another dpp surprise. The ruck position could be a big saving in you can get 2 starting rucks at around 300-350k and that means more money to be spent in other positions. Big Berger will also be cheap after only 5 games. Things to think about

lostlarrikin · 14/12/2014 at 23:56

Nice work BB!
Pretty tempting price point, just hope he grabs that R1 mantle, dangling like a neon carrot at a raging mule dance party.
Tbh I'm not sold on TBC or Giles as quality ruck men but at least TBC has some value as an SC R3.