Is The Cannon Obsolete?

Maso“The Cannon” has been a Sun since day one after being selected as 1 of 12 pre-listed 17 year olds. He has been on my radar since playing 21 games in his debut AFL season way back in 2011.

Trent has been a solid rebounding defender who can cut through a team defence like butter with his long effective kicking. He ranked 5th for R50’s in 2014. Being one of best in league at hitting a target over 50 metres – he is a deadly weapon for the Suns, and also offers plenty of promise to become a weapon in our Supercoach sides.

After a pretty stagnant first two years where Trent averaged 68 and 67 Supercoach points respectively, he had somewhat of a breakout year in his third year averaging 88.6 in 2013. Many including myself thought this was the start of even further improvement that would have Trent locked into our backlines for years to come.

However 2014 didn’t pan out that way. Unable to complete a full preseason due to an ankle sprain he picked up in training, Trent never pushed on or even matched the form he showed in 2013.

Just as we hope that Trent can finally complete a full preseason and get back to the levels he showed in 2013, an even bigger problem has emerged. One Nick Malceski.

2015 Price: $431,400
2015 Position: DEF
Games last season: 19
Average last season: 80.3
100+ games last season: 2
Sub 80 games last season: 9
Price range last season: $381K – $478K
Missed games last season: 3
Significant history: If “The Cannon” is in the shop getting repairs done it’s hard to stop the enemy from taking your position and unfortunately Trent has consistently missed games over the last 3 seasons playing 18, 18 & 19.

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Risk Factor

Knee tendonitis and a few other niggles have restricted him over the last few seasons. In fact Trent has never completed a full preseason. With Malceski joining the Suns the air raid sirens are ringing loud! Both play a similar role.

Image 1

So does McKenzie get a new role or Malceski??

Selection Purpose

At $430k I wouldn’t select him for anything other than SC draft. If you were to select him for the pure form of our great game I can’t see him been anything but a stepping stone to a Premo who is down on price around the byes. The most optimistic you could be is that he repeats his 2013 form and possibly you could keep him all year in your D5-D6 position.

The Good

● Loves to kick. Has a kick to handball ratio of 4:1
● Massive kick
● Accurate with disposals averaging 73% over his career
● Good age/game bracket – 23yrs & 76 games

The Downside

● MALCESKI
● Has never completed a full pre-season
● Priced at 80 which is bang on his output

Verdict

Until Malceski signed Trent was high on my defence radar, but I can’t see him being worth a spot in Maso’s Muppets for 2015.
He may be able to get his average up to around the 85-90 but with guys like Ablett, Omeara, Prestia, Swallow, Bennell, Malceski and Co. I just can’t seeing him being able to consistently get a good share of 3300 on offer every game.

Anyone keen on him?

Maso

Twitter: @Maso_78

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock ReynoldsThis article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

Sarah · 04/12/2014 at 10:42

Great write up Maso. I'm with you on this one and it's a NO from me at this stage. If it turns out he is having a break out year then he may be an upgrade target, but he's a definite NO as a starter for me.

throttlefinger · 04/12/2014 at 10:55

Excellent review, Big M. The price is attractive for the back line yet too many SC point hogs for him to make that worth slotting in from the jump. Think Thumper may even outdo him for points. Again, solid job on the Cannon.

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 04/12/2014 at 10:57

Great write up Maso.

Agree.

Firm NO for SoapOnARope. Can't see higher than 75-85 average.

WombatsFC · 04/12/2014 at 11:00

Excellent Maso. Concise, insightful and honestly accurate, you have saved me the time of even looking in this donkeys direction.

Tman · 04/12/2014 at 11:04

The cannon is obsolete, at least from my team for 2015. He's on my 2017 watchlist. 😀

Kev · 04/12/2014 at 12:37

Lovely stuff Maso. 'Eski still comes on top when you compare Cannon's break out 2013 average stats to his. I also can't see Rocket telling a premiership winning rebounding defender that's time for a role change… Pretty solid NO for me unless Malceski's knee goes pop.

Malceski's 2014 averages

1.9 I50
1.1 bounces
2.9 tackles
4.4 contested
11.8 uncontested

@LekBlog · 04/12/2014 at 14:15

Love the comparison with Malceski, I think the ex-Swan makes "The Cannon" Supercoach redundant. Had him in 2013 and served me alright but doubt I'll be looking at him this year, much rather have a look at the Saints draftee Goddard.

General Soreness · 04/12/2014 at 14:57

Great work Maso, concur with everyone here on the NO! My backline is likely to read as a whos who of defensive rookies. 10 tons in four years with 6 in 2013 and none of them big = no way.

Dools · 04/12/2014 at 16:21

An Enlightening Piece Maso,
Not even looking at him mate now that you brought up Malceski Solid NO from me

jockreynolds · 04/12/2014 at 20:05

Flawless Maso. Absolutely flawless mate – and a pretty robust no from this end as well mate.

Trent McKenzie · 04/12/2014 at 20:21

They didn't give me my nickname because of my kicking, Jock

jockreynolds · 04/12/2014 at 22:39

You like taking the odd photograph?

WombatsFC · 04/12/2014 at 22:50

Cryptically hilarious!
      That's what I donated for.

Chicko · 04/12/2014 at 21:50

Maso, outstanding review mate. He was on my radar at the start of this year after sharing a few drinks with him at a Gold Coast nightclub, but I didn't select him. He is a ripping young fella, but better value for mine elsewhere – and great comparison to Malceski – some bald bloke I know wrote an article about him recently!

MASO · 05/12/2014 at 12:59

Thanks for the kind words all 😛
another player the "malceski effect" could play a part in is Jarrod Harbrow he was probably the other guy in the suns that played the mckenzie/malceski roll

Barwick's Soilders · 05/12/2014 at 20:01

Great one Maso, 100% no, better options in defence. Me thinks cheap def = $$$$$Mid