Diamond Saw Liam Duggan

ThrottlefingerBeing in Brooklyn USA has many disadvantages being a footy fan and SC coach. Mostly with time, as you could guess. Yet, probably my other main whinge is not being able to see future stars play before they hit the AFL.

I am a fanatic about college basketball and (American) football. And when I was younger (and didn’t have kids), I’d like to check out local high schooler games as well. See the raw talents and those one in a lifetime players dominating before they start gaining national attention and college highlight reels.

I’m from Akron, Ohio so I got to see LeBron play as a high school sophomore (i.e. 16 years old) when I went home for the holidays. (I was tipped by my dad who saw him as a freshman and said he would probably be the best player to come out of Ohio ever).

So for this piece about a rookie, I’m on much shakier ground. But I found a player who I think is very promising and worthy for our consideration, and gathered enough articles and videos to feel I can make a convincing case for that.

There’s a lot to like about Liam Duggan. Taken #11 in the draft by West Coast Eagles from his stellar time playing for the Western Jets, Duggan is a player that stands out when you see him play: aggressive yet not sloppy with the ball who has earned high marks for his excellent decision-making skills, poise under pressure and ability to affect the scoreboard.

Will he be one of the rookies we deem worthy of Round 1 inclusion in 2015? Whadda say we grab a bag of marbles, hit the Duggan playground and throw some data semi-bowlers around.

2015 Price: $172,300
2015 Position: MID
Age: 17
Height: 183 cm
Under 18 Team: Western Jets
Draft Pick: #11 West Coast Eagles
Price range last season: N/A
Missed games last season: N/A
Significant history: Won the Ben Mitchell Medal in the NAB AFL Academy Level 2 squad
Registered 26/30 in kicking test at the NAB AFL Draft Combine
Rumour: Has a Pokemon tattoo on his ankle

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Let’s take a look at some other stats that may whet your SC whistle a tad for young Duggan: averaged 15 disposals at 76 per cent efficiency, 8.6 kicks to 6.6 handballs and 2.8 marks in five games in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. And he kicked three final-quarter goals against the Northern Knights earlier in the year in a come-from-behind win.

Footage that I watched (which admittedly was mostly highlights), what impressed me most about Duggan is that he’s a ball magnet that can put the ball on a string with either foot, whether hitting a KPF or sending one between the posts.

Here’s what Paige Cardona wrote about Duggan in her pre-draft evaluation:

“Duggan’s penetrating kick is his primary asset, but his ability to read the ball well in the air — along with both good vision and speed — suggests his best position will eventually be situated in the midfield with resting stints at half back.”

What is clear is that Duggan is a take charge player who doesn’t lack any confidence with the ball. Doesn’t shirk from contact or mixing it up, yet goes gazelle once the pill is in his hands. Man of action who seems naturally gifted to distributing the ball. Also, has a great paws. Extends arms well and if hands hit the ball the pill sticks.

Compared to other draftees, he comes equip with many ways to help your team, cutting up defenses for some SC jewels. That’s why with a nod to the WWF legend, I’m calling him Diamond Saw Liam Duggan. Cool precision who can turn nothing into a jewel for your squad.

Most importantly, I think the Eagles are a good match for him, especially with guys like Priddis and Scotty Selwood to help him along. As I said in my Priddis review, how the Eagles do is dependent on the health and form of the rest of their midfield. Duggan will be able to learn much from old warriors such as Priddis, Selwood and Masten AND if some of the others don’t perform to expectation (Gaff and Wellington in particular) it gives Diamond Saw Liam Duggan a chance to get some valuable experience.

And seems Duggan has a good enough head on his shoulders to realize the same:

“I am looking forward to getting stuck in and to win the respect of my teammates. I can’t wait to train alongside guys like Matt Priddis and Scott Selwood.”

Always a good sign when you have a willing student who’s eager to work with the game’s finest.

RISK FACTOR

According to many write-ups, at the start of the year many wondered whether Duggan had the inside game to be an effective midfielder at AFL level. His play with the Jets this season washed those away. Concern would be at that price and the Eagles midfield, will he see that much time this season or be send to?

SELECTION PURPOSE

Naturally, it’s tricky making a call on these players before seeing them playing preseason with the big boys. What is working for him is that Diamond Saw Duggan is a well-rounded player, who is more comfy in the guts yet can play half back as well. That will help a team that has a history of injuries affecting their team.

THE GOOD

• Can play mid and def (DPP possibility) (confirmed position MID only)
  • Highly efficient with the ball, both hand and foot
  • Can win his own ball and tackles strongly
  • Natural leader who plays in control no matter the situation

THE BAD

• No blistering speed (he runs a 3.1-second 20-metre sprint)
  • Eagles returning with packed midfield (can help in back?)
  • 18 year old body may need seasoning

THROTTLE DECREES

While all the draft experts had him listed as a half back, most of the highlights I saw Diamond Saw Duggan was in the guts. In fact, I think that’s where he sees himself and given his strong decision-making and passing skills, so do the Eagles.

While I haven’t researched the rest of the draft picks as comprehensively, I’m pretty sure you won’t find one that has the combo of talent, range of abilities, smarts and leadership skills as Diamond Saw Liam Duggan.

In other words, a rookie arousal curve is moving North, my friends. But I’m going to wait and see how Simpson uses Diamond Saw Duggan preseason and how much time he gets on the field. But anything under $190K that’s gonna get time on the field and possesses this level of promise, ol’ Throtts won’t hesitate to slot in as an D6/M8 or mid bench cover.

WAIT AND SEE

What do you think about Diamond Saw Liam Duggan, community?

Throttlefinger

Twitter: @throttlefinger

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock ReynoldsThis article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

skulldonkey · 02/12/2014 at 06:30

Always hard to tell with these guys. Bring back the Under 19's, another year with bigger bodies and pressure always sorted the wheat from the chaff. Looks good though, but so do many and so many do fail. In Oz, there isnt any much more viewing of the kids in the TAC than we do in USA so youre certainly not making any more uneducated guess than those back home. Student sports mean nothin oz. Big boys are all that matter.But none the less great detailed summary of what is available Throttle!

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 06:36

Thanks Skulldonkey. Passing the eye test only matters when you're playing with professionals. Eager to see how well DSD does preseason.

General Soreness · 02/12/2014 at 06:52

Amazing work mate, can only imagine the extra degree of difficulty doing a rookie write up from the states. Wait and see is all we can do until teams are announced round 1 for our rookies but I reckon that Duggan may be in the mix. Agree that appears to be Mid rather than Def therefore if playing may provide def value in what may well be a pretty lean line in SC 2015.

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 07:56

Damn General, thanks for the kudos. I sooooo hope he gets DPP. Really nice having rooks so you can swing if injuries come in. Always a bonus. Coaches like me need EVERY bit of help they can. Honestly he looks a bit thin to be able to mix it up this season. But smart ball magnets can compensate. Diamond Saw is another reason of many to give the Eagles a very hard look this preseason.

Seaford Scouse · 02/12/2014 at 08:15

Wow, hats off to you throts doing a rookie piece this early in the game is ballsy stuff, even more so when you’re based in Brooklyn NY. Insightful comments, don’t know if I can see him getting a starting berth from the off for the weagles, with sheed, gaff ellis plus all their premos) but will certainly be monitoring him pre-season now and he’s been added to the rookie WL. Given the weagles luck with injuries to their mids he should get a run at some point though if he proves himself.

Interesting to see how gaffne goes this year as well, (he’s a no for me at the moment), as he seems to have deceived us after his 2nd year breakout but has the promise and potential to go bang, another west coast boy I’ll be keeping my eye on along with Scott lycett and nic nats hammys!

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 10:54

Thanks Double S. Great point about Gaff. Jocko has always been big on him. I don't see it. Lycett and NicNat are delicious. A fallen prem that I really like is Scottie Selwood. Had a bad ankle injury that slowed his game. 80 av. Got 100+ the 2 seasons before. If Simpson doesn't have him tagging, he could be a nice little pickup.

Thanks for the killer comments about the review. Not sure what we got but glad I gave someone you'll be keeping an eye on.

Barwick's Soldiers · 02/12/2014 at 09:40

Tough gig you just completed Throttle, nice work. Yeah very hard to talk about and write an article on a rookie, but you did pretty well. I really like this kid and if dpp and looks okey in preseason I will slot him in, no dpp still a chance.

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 10:56

That means a lot, Barwick. DPP and R1 makes the Diamond Saw a no brainer. Only mid and R1 still heavily considered. Think worst case he comes in mid season and be a nice little cash cow.

WombatsFC · 02/12/2014 at 11:16

Thanks Throttle these are the blokes who are of most interest to me.
My Wombats superhero senses tingled when I saw the name Duggan but I don't know why. I've never seen a single second of him playing or read any review other than this but, BEFORE I read your article the Wombat Fur was standing on end and stiff enough to impale flys as I crashed through the wild undergrowth of SC rookies.
Normally this would be enough for me to write his name in ink but he's at the bloody eagles. From memory WCE don't like giving young blokes a run in the AFL until they've made some sort of mark in the WAFL and Duggan wont be any different.

Rock or Bust will be the final, it is minus Mal and Phil but I'm sure it stills beats in time will a wild heart….On the ABC last night (our abc is like your pbs) Angus showed that he possibly has a career as an AFL coach when he hangs up the Gibson. Asked why they always give more in the studio and on stage than any other band he said "I might not be here tomorrow…… play great now"

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 21:15

I hope Angus hangs up the Gibson soon. At least with the band. Wouldn't mind if he started another project.

Think your take on Diamond Saw could be prove to be true. Certainly be the more prudent thing to do, especially given their glut of midfielders. Appreciate the kind words on the review. Means a lot coming from you, Womby.

Kev · 02/12/2014 at 11:27

Solid write up TF. Difficult to assess the SC relevancy of draft picks right now. He's an elite kick (26/30 at the combine) so could very well find a place running off half back until he fills out a bit for the middle (he is listed at 75kg). A bit of value elsewhere ahead of Duggan, such as Goddard (#21), Wigg (#35), and Clem Smith (#60)

One to keep on the radar is Josh McGuiness, taken at pick 81 by the lions. He missed out last year but is an 189cm running defender. In U18's he averaged the most disposals of any defender and number 1 for rebound 50's. Was also AA

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 21:17

Definitely the Saints and Blues have players that will be more SC relevant this seasons, Kev. Will throw those three along with McGuiness on the ol' rookie watchlist. Great tip.

WombatsFC · 02/12/2014 at 11:32

I agree with Kev on Clem Smith and reckon that MM has marked him as Eddie's replacement. Tough elusive defender with outstanding kicking skills sounds very much like Micks recipe for a fwd pocket.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 02/12/2014 at 13:24

Awesome Throttle. Now we are into the delicious rookies. Yum. That's an awkward price for a young fella. But if he's getting game time then maybe not. Absolutely on the watchlist. Lovely piece.

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 21:20

Thanks, my man. It is awkward yet not that bad given the range of things he can do. Sure there will be better values out there for sure, especially ones who will get R1 consideration.

Dools · 02/12/2014 at 17:10

Wow buddy that was a hard article.
Picking a rookie with eyes off, See there is nothing this web internet thingy can't over come. Excelllennt trip down memory lane with your dad and then build a young un up with the comparison ,…Champion Effort TF, Pure Champion…
I will not be picking him …WCE have a habit of unleashing their new boys v late or cover a short term injury, then them gone,
This is a buyer beware product IMO, It does not detract from your piece mate, if anything it reinforces the research before commitment to the page, thanks…..
Of course I will watch , ATM he is so low on the RADAR he is part of the background terrain ,( when you are flying map to ground)
Cheers TF, I'm 'Off to the fridge" …. Pre Christmas work out……..Begin LOL

General Soreness · 02/12/2014 at 17:19

For pre christmas workout just move fridge further away, 10,000 steps smashed!!!

Dools · 02/12/2014 at 19:41

10,00 steps …sounds like a meeting I went to..Just once. I never came across so many people who just talked about themselves. and 10,000 steps smashed! was prop. not the correct thing to mention whilst in the meeting LOL
      Mate after traipsing all over the Middle East, gettin' IED'd. Shot at. Ambushed and calling all hell down of M fos who are trying to upset my SC day.
      I have 3 fridges! and an Esky INP, a big fu3k off one with wheels bro
      Being Irish I have to be sure, to be sure!!! Just to be sure !
      Just kidding I never got ambushed… Except for that bloody meeting!
      Now which fridge to choose,Esky, Meany, Mini, Moe……"To the Fridges!!"

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 02/12/2014 at 17:50

You should get a bar fridge for the fridge for Xmas. Get him a little buddy. And additional booze storage!

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 21:23

Pre-Xmas Dools! Now does that come with a special wardrobe? And does keyboard like to get dressed up for the holidays? Elf or does he prefer being a mistletoe and watch all the holiday party groping?

Thanks for the lavish thanks, my friend. Yep, he's a long shot to start out of the gate. Too many midfielders already. More likely to get some seasoning in the WAFL and get pulled up if someone isn't delivering or injuries again attack the Eagles.

Big_BenFC · 02/12/2014 at 17:38

Great article mate, top shelf stuff

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 21:23

Thanks Double B!

Phil · 02/12/2014 at 18:51

Top top review, I appreciate the ones when you guys put up a bloke I've never heard of, throw some stats at me and my watchlist gets one player added to it….Especially down back too, I'm a bit thin there. Also cheers for the Josh McGuiness tip from Kev.

It's a pity they don't have a separate prize for SC players outside Australia. I have the feeling this author might just blow the field away!

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 21:35

HAHAHA. My form last year wouldn't of made me top 100 OUT of Oz. Plus, who wants a "kissing your aunt" prize. I want to the big boy $50K (think the Herald would spring for my flight out to receive the check…if so, party at Flapping Tarp!).

Appreciate the kind words, Phil. Yeah, he's someone to put on the watchlist. Most likely won't come up until mid-season. Kev's tip may prove to have more R1 relevance.

jockreynolds · 02/12/2014 at 21:14

All the way from NYC – and not afraid to grab a difficult pick 11 rookie review by the gonads. You impress the bejeezus out of me Throtts. Will be interesting to see how WCE blood their new kids. I'm also keeping a very close eye on Tommy Lamb who will come in nice and cheap, is a beautiful size and I reckon he's ready to roll as well.

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 21:43

Cheer, Jocko! Warms my slightly blackened heart that I'm able to provide some sort of value to my SC footy cohorts. Be interested to see how much Simpson bloods the new crop or sends them to WAFL. Yeah, Lamb will be interesting watch as well. Read they are looking for him to play half forward. Kicked 6 in a game against the Stingrays so he may be up to the task.

jockreynolds · 02/12/2014 at 21:55

Know the family personally as well old mate. His Dad played at the highest level. His maternal grandpa is a St Kilda Premiership player (needless to say – aren't too many of them around!)

Jaydos · 02/12/2014 at 21:29

Beautiful article Throttlefinger.

I must say I too was lucky enough to watch The Chosen One play in high school, I was in the US on holidays and my mates and I went to Cleveland just to see him play, not the Cavs, just to see some high school kid. He was like nothing I'd ever seen before. He would've blown Nic Naitanui out of the water at 17.

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 21:50

Nice Jaydos. He was a man beast in high school. His passing and court vision was what truly blew me away. You get to see a lot of players who can score. And LBJ could've scored every time he came down the court. But he made his whole team better. Why his team won state title 3 out of his 4 years. That said, I hope you didn't waste too much time in Cleveland on your US trip. Only so much to see!

Appreciate the kudos on the review.

Jaydos · 03/12/2014 at 21:49

He was like poetry in motion. We were only there 3 days flew in the day before the game and flew out the day after, place is a bit of a shit hole really, like a large percentage of the country.

I look forward to more articles.

throttlefinger · 03/12/2014 at 22:29

Ha. Well, I disagree about the last part about being a shithole as the land has many majestic spots. But glad you got to see LBJ.

Thanks Jaydos.

BoydosBest · 02/12/2014 at 21:36

Does anyone know when we find out DPP’s for 2015 ?

Great work Throttle not sure how you keep up with all this from the U.S. legendary stuff mate !!

throttlefinger · 02/12/2014 at 22:34

Barely, Boydos. Barely. But the community keeps me fueled (along with many cups of coffee).

Think DPPs come out in January. Not 100%.

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 03/12/2014 at 10:34

Bloody majestic Throtts!

I'll hope to get as many cheap rookies in my team to get as many risky mid-pricers (waters) and uber premo's (abletts, etc.) as i can.
He's on the growing watchlist. just too early for picking up, especially with a few 2nd year cheap rooks on the horizon (freeman comes to mind)

I'm a bit anxious about writing my rookie piece, as there are far fewer stats and resources around to use.

Ball tearer matey. Hats off!

Tman · 03/12/2014 at 11:57

Thanks for the awesome review Throttle. Someone I hadn't considered and will definitely track.

Love me a mid season cash cow. They as good as r1 rookies.

PS: I agree, Selwood might prove to be a great fallen premium. Personally feel taggers should be for 1st/2nd year players. Gives them a chance to learn from the best in the competition.

Black on White · 19/01/2015 at 16:49

Big thanks to all those who contribute articles, always plenty of thought provoking material.

Question for the community, given Selwood maybe be nursed into the season, especially with further setbacks, which of the younger Eagles brigade could fill his role in the side come round 1?

An article regarding Cavka’s hard running endurance got me thinking it could be he.