Will he take the next step?

Big Ben - a man on a missionI am one of those people that look back on the 2014 Fantasy season thinking “If only I followed my gut and slotted Swallow into my back line” but by the time the gravy train had rocked up to the station, it was already too late and Swallows price had risen. By about round four was the time when I realised my mistake, at that stage of the season he was averaging 117.5 points per game and tearing it up.

Fast forward to round eleven and he was still averaging a very solid 100 points and looking to have a huge season. With the DEF/MID swing option (confirmed position MID only), Swallow was one of the pick-ups of the season and looking to cement himself into the fantasy realms for years to come.

2015 Price: $554,600
2015 Position: MID
Games last season: 22
Average last season: 106
100+ games last season: 12
Sub 80 games last season: 2
Price range last season: $429K – $488K
Missed games last season: Didn’t miss a step
Significant history: Significant upwards points trend last year
Ranked 13th in total clangers
Drafted at pick 1, 2010 National Draft

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

It’s no secret that Ablett is the number one midfielder at the Gold Coast Suns however there are a number of extremely talented players that get in and around it with him, David Swallow is one of those players. With a young, talented team the GCS are looking to have a huge year and make the finals for the first time

RISK FACTOR

Attracting the tag. There is no hiding the fact that when the little master went down, Swallow took the tag at times and his points output dropped significantly. From round 17 to 21 he didn’t break the ton.

SELECTION PURPOSE

If you are thinking about running with David Swallow in your team it will be with the feeling that he can continue his football growth and probably crack 110 points a game on a consistent basis. If the Suns are looking to make the finals again I would imagine this young team will be hell bent on making sure they do not fade out again.

THE GOOD

• His fantasy growth
  • Wont normally attract the tag
  • Is young and in a team looking to make finals
  • Has a new coach, might be looking to impress

THE DOWNSIDE

• Could lose his MID/DEF swing?
  • His price tag is pretty hefty all things considered
  • Will Rockets gameplay style suit the Suns?

THE VERDICT

If Swallow keeps his MID/DEF swing then he is most likely going to find a spot on my team however if he loses dual position availability I would have to have a long hard think about him. He has had an upwards trend in his output which is a great sign of things to come.

MAYBE for me

What are your thoughts on David Swallow?

Big Ben

Twitter: @Big_BenFC

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock ReynoldsThis article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

David · 28/11/2014 at 01:41

Highly considering. Can see him averaging 110+

General Soreness · 28/11/2014 at 09:11

Hi David, your last name isnt Swallow is it? Either way I tend to agree 110+ is possible but is not certain, therefore if no DPP I will go with the greater certainties.

rosco_peco · 28/11/2014 at 09:37

Gut feel says close to 110. 106 average in 2014 from 77.5% TOG makes an interesting case for, but as the other guys suggest, there are a lot of unknowns for the suns in 2015.

throttlefinger · 28/11/2014 at 06:37

Excellent review, Double B. I missed out on him too. Left a bad taste for sure. Even if he's DPP, not sure if I would slot him in. Lots of changes at GCS (coach, McV, emerging players like Prestia and Martin, etc). Wondering how indeed Swallow fits in. Can he go 110+ with that mighty midfield? Not sure. Gonna see how he comes out of the game and where he's spending the most time. 50/50 if DPP, 30/70 if only mid. Top notch, my man.

General Soreness · 28/11/2014 at 09:14

I reckon Swallow is in the cream of the crop of emerging players ahead of Martin, O'Meara (knees) and on par with Prestia imho. Strong chance for 110+ especially if Gold Coast start winning more and therefore attract some better loading to the stats.

throttlefinger · 28/11/2014 at 09:58

Very good point, General. Be interesting how Malceski affects the SC point distribution. Regardless, $550K for Swallow is not in my plans. Need more evidence that last year was not a fluke.

Barwick's Soilders · 28/11/2014 at 07:09

Great review Big Ben. I did have him from the start of 2014, no chance he will start in 2015, even with DPP. Lot of changes at the suns and development of payers like throttle said. No for 2015.

General Soreness · 28/11/2014 at 09:10

Nice work BB, with the expected dearth of talent filling DEF spots if he is DPP he is almost a lock for my team, cant ignore the fact he played every game at 106 average, durability and output. Can see him going 110+ but is more risky than others that will go 110+ if mid only. No DPP = no way too many certainties for my mids already. I started and held him all year last year, was one of my better decisions.

throttlefinger · 28/11/2014 at 10:23

I'm not as optimistic with him hitting 110+. Before this season, Swallow didn't even hit 80. Could be a step up to his potential or could be his best season. At that price, you want certainties, DPP or not. Could see him as a corrective or upgrade at best.

ReltonRoberts · 28/11/2014 at 10:03

Would need DPP to consider a starter, too much going on at the GC and they've already taken 700k+ off me in the mids alone!

Could potentially pick up later on as an upgrade, would depend on form and ownership % though.

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 28/11/2014 at 10:42

Great piece BB.

On the watch-list, but not really considering him as a mid only.
Will be a corrective at best – or a mid year upgrade target.
Can't see him retaining DPP and at 550k – I probably wouldn't start him in defense, I'm loath to spend lots down back.

WombatsFC · 28/11/2014 at 11:06

Thanks Big Fella like most others I have my concerns.
I think if he has DPP status he will be my D1 or D2. No DPP status he's about 18th for a spot in the Wombats midfield.

D7 or 8 = Viojo-Rainbow the name alone is enough to strike fear into the hearts of Ladybugs and Unicorns all over the world.

General Soreness · 28/11/2014 at 11:53

ROFL Womby, nickname suggestions? Judy?

Now Im finding myself singing, Somewhere Viojo – Rainbow, Way up High, Theres a land that I heard of, once in a lullaby.

WombatsFC · 28/11/2014 at 15:10

Wow!
      Who would've guessed that the General would publicly out himself as enjoying Musical Theatre to the extent of being a Judy Garland fan.

I admire your courage Sir. Let's hope that you don't get demoted to Major Catastrophe.

I was thinking that 'Somewhere' would be the perfect nickname for Dillon.

General Soreness · 28/11/2014 at 15:37

Anyone with sisters would be as sick of the Wizard of Oz as I am.

Well I am off to Les Mis, tootaloo! 😛

WombatsFC · 28/11/2014 at 16:30

I'm guessing that your sisters used to dress you up to play wizard of oz and you particularly liked the role of Dorothy?
          The sister thing is the classic psychological profile General, how's your relationship with your mum?
          Nice neat home, well dressed, educated and articulate, lots of female friends but no actual female partner?
          It's OK General I don't care one way or the other just as long as you keeping producing the SC Gold.
          🙂

jockreynolds · 28/11/2014 at 12:47

Haaa. Viojo-Rainbow!! Please Wombo – tell my its true – has a bloke with the name Viojo-Rainbow been drafted?!

General Soreness · 28/11/2014 at 12:48

WombatsFC · 28/11/2014 at 14:59

Yeah mate it's a ripper. I was just about to award Clem Smith the BEST ROOKIE NAME AWARD when I noticed that blues had drafted the quinella for that award and Clem was actually second.
      Dillon Viojo-Rainbow I think he might be Malthouses Harry O Mk2.
      South American Ancestry, 3rd up Defender with great kicking skills (either side)

MM sure to try him out early he doesn't favour players that he didn't personally draft.

Mob · 28/11/2014 at 11:43

Where is the 106 average coming from? He average 103.2 in 2014. Priced at around 555k, he would be competing with the likes of K.Jack and Deledio at his price, Ryan Griffin at 530k, his brother Andrew at 500k or Cotchin at 545k. I think all of these guys have shown more and are more likely to break the 110 average in 2015.

Given that he should be MID only, shares the bye Ablett, Pendles, Fyfe, JPK, Parker, Watson, Heppell, Prestia and Jack Steven, I will be very unlikely to consider him.

Goes from out of consideration to LOCK if he is a DEF/MID.

jockreynolds · 28/11/2014 at 12:45

Ripper BB – great assessment mate. I dont see a jump to $600K+ hood as out of the question for Swallow – but not sure enough to have him compete for a MID spot with The Brumby. As above – DPP and I'd slap his straight in.

Kev · 28/11/2014 at 14:45

Same thoughts here, corrective or upgrade at best. Can't take too much from his 2014 stats as it was obviously a breakout year for him. I had him from the start and remember some big 4th quarter efforts from him which has plumped up his average a little bit.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 28/11/2014 at 15:05

Quality write up Double B. I overlooked him last year & by the time I wanted to get on the ship had sailed. Agree with many above DPP retained & it's a big look, as a MID only can't see me picking him. Well done again big fella.

lostlarrikin · 28/11/2014 at 15:40

Great stuff BB!
Yeah reckon he's got Buckleys of retaining DPP.
As a pure mid he's a bit too much of a circus ride to entertain.
The competition for points in the Flaming Guts will be huge…Gaz, JOM, Meatball, Bennell, Martin…Lottery!

Dools · 28/11/2014 at 17:07

Nice review Ben,
He is on the definte watch list ATM, When Garry went down he was on of the few who stood up. Plays more consistant with GAJ there. His AVG increased from 79 to 103 SC points ..That is a massive jump and he is only 22, his birthday was last week. He is a future star of the game and I'm 50/50 on picking him up to start this season. I hear the for's and against's and both parties make sense.
My 50/50 is reliant on GAJ playing forward, If GAJ makes it to the 1st bounce, No GAJ he is in 95/05, with GAJ 50/50 call ATM
Great debating points from the community and thanks for the review Big Ben
I'm off "to the fridge!!"

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 28/11/2014 at 18:13

It’s Friday night. Probably the night te fridge gets it’s biggest work out. 95/5 with no GAJ. Dools that’s a ballsy call. Even by your standards. Provoking the community as always. Love ya work.

Dools · 28/11/2014 at 20:32

I'm not trying to "poke the bear" I think he is valid without Garyyyyyyyyyyyyy! as a mid

Seaford Scouse · 01/12/2014 at 15:33

Cheers BB nothing much to add here except in agreement with what most seem to be siding with, DPP lock, mid only, forget about it! His brother looks better value if just a mid plus a dozen more at least and I’m sure by the time you boys have finished your wrote-ups that would have probably doubled!