Moving Forward with Lids

ThrottlefingerEveryone has a second favorite team, right? Not YOUR team but one when they aren’t playing your gang you like to see win.

I haven’t lived in Ohio in some 20 odd years. While I still rawk hardest for my Cleveland teams, they aren’t usually shown nationally (usually for good reason). So I pick up a local team to root for.

In LA it was the Clippers, Angels and Raiders (lived there when they had them). In San Francisco it was the Warriors, Giants and Raiders (49ner fans are the WORST). And in NYC, I favor the Nets, Mets and Jets. (no, I’m sorry Yankees fans ARE THE WORST)

In footy, obviously, I don’t have a logistical problem rooting for GWS. But my best buddy Seldon is a lifelong Tigers fan. So is his brother Action Lew, who is credited for getting both of us into Supercoach. (and whom I finally beat in tipping last season after three seasons. Down goes, Action! Down goes Action!).

So we talk Tigers all the time. In fact, in 2013 I was thinking of abandoning my Giants for full patronage to Punt Road. Couldn’t do it. But I still root for the Tigers . And probably watch almost all of their games. They are a confounding bunch — a mishmash of players of varying talent that rarely repeat their best performance, yet are sterling at mirroring their worst. They are very much like my Browns. So in a way, the Tigers remind me of home.

One of my favorite Tigers is Brett Deledio. Lids is very hard not to like from a footy standpoint. Great skills, fearless, never misses a game and can rack up Supercoach points whether winning or losing (unlike one of his teammates, cough, Cotchin, cough).

What was significant 2014 is that instead of allowing Lids wilt in the midfield (along with their chances of winning), Mr. Wonderful Anthony Miles came in and Hardwick moved Lids into the half forward line. His impact – and the Tigers fortune – soon changed.

Will this new role make him a DPP and very Supercoach relevant in 2015? Why don’t we shotgun a couple cans of Tooheys, throw on a couple clown wigs and drop some Lids on our way to the Data Freak Out at SC Park.

2015 Price: $553,300
2015 Position: MID/FWD
Games last season: 18
Average last season: 103
100+ games last season: 10 (went ton last 8 of last 9 games)
Sub 80 games last season: 3 (Low 68, R12 vs Roos)
Price range last season: $441K (R15) – $559K (R1)
Missed games last season: 1 (rested for sure)
Significant history: Ironman. 1st time in 7 years hasn’t played all 22. (Achilles)
7th in Inside 50s 2014
Best season 117 SC ave in 2012.
Rumour: Collects rare talcs and harvests exotic ant honey.

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

I picked Lids for my R1 team. And he repaid Throtts by going 136 in his first game. Next game he had a 92 yet the Achilles problem that reportedly had been nagging at him for some time decided to become more annoying. And in a year of rash decisions, I cut him after round 5 sensing Lids would have a hard time returning to form.

And after his return Round 7, the scores he posted made it seem like a genius move, as he averaged 84 the next 7 rounds. Then Round 15 Hardwick moved him up across the half forward line and the Tigers made their move. Before he was playing a little all over. Committing him to the half forward had a profound effect on his game. From Rounds 15-23, Lids averaged 115. And was the only bright spot against that bare-bottom-in-front-of-your-friends spanking from Port with 126.

Comparing his last two seasons, Lids’ numbers are basically the same (103 vs 104) with some numbers going up, some dropping. Nothing super significant. He was 7th in bounces in 2013, yet those numbers dipped a point in 2014. His Inside 50s rose from 4.1 to 4.7 a game (7th best). Goals doubled to 20 total (even though shorter season), yet tackles went down from 3.7 to 2.7. Marks went up 5.1 to 5.4/a game (featuring two 10+ mark games). Most importantly, disposals went from 23.8 to 25.4 that came with a snazzy 72% efficiency.

OK, given his time more up the field, we take bended knee to ask the SC Gods to make Lids a DPP this season. I’ll tempt faith and say it should happen. And if it does, I can say with typical American confidence and bluster that he will be worth the coin…especially if he can repeat 2012 form where he averaged 117 with only 3 sub 100 games!

RISK FACTOR

Tigers are like a beautiful girl with bad breath. Great to have on your arm yet when you go for the kiss…PAIN! And will up, down, all around Hardwick keep him at upfront or play mad scientist with him some more?

SELECTION PURPOSE

Lots of good reasons to pick Lids. Not crazy price and kid doesn’t shirk from the field when the action is on, winning or losing.

THE GOOD

• DPP status most likely (hell to the yeah!)
  • Strong and steady (rarely misses games)
  • Growth of Miles gives a strong midfield to push ball forward
  • More half forward means more inside 50s, marks and goals

THE BAD

• Hardwick fusses and moves him back to mid (not a bad bad thing)
  • Tigers didn’t do much to improve their side offseason
  • Can go sub 80 more times than desired
  • Facial hair made Douchey’s Top 100 Looks of 2014.

THROTTLE DECREES

Simply, if Lids is a DPP, he’s a lock for my forward line. Will be almost the same price as Dusty was last year and far more predictable with the scores. 90/10.

If Lids is a mid only, he’s still worthwhile to consider. First 5 games are Blues, Doggies, Lions, Dees and Cats. Not exactly murderers row. Plus, if he’s in good health I’m sure he is very unlikely to do worse than last season, especially if the Tiges mids take it up a notch. 60/40 if mid only. And even with a no, definitely high on the Throtts watch list.

WORTH CONSIDERATION

Think I’ve gone man-crush again or rocked it right for a change? Hit me community?

Throttlefinger

Twitter: @throttlefinger

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock ReynoldsThis article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 01:18

You sneaky bugga

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 01:23

Like that?

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 01:27

Wasn't even considering this bloke until now.
$550K for a fwd/mid who will turn up even after nuclear holocaust locked for me.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 01:33

I really wasn't either. But like I said I had him and get did have a good run home. If he is DPP (which isn't a certainty, he'll be a close to lock in the front line. Mid is still worth the money if that Achilles is fully recovered. And think the Tigers will be less erratic than last year.

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 01:48

Averaged 115+ from round 15 onwards. Sort of.

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 01:31

Is it more than just coincidence that this review replaced JimmyB?

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 01:38

Like to think it "strategically followed" JimmyB's. If you read my replies on JB's review, you can see where I was leaning.

And you didn't have to take down the Magpies stuff. LOVE when you recount those days. And is footy relevant (albeit just by a hare). Oldest has day off so taking to Museum of Natural History. Have a good sleep, my friend.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 01:31

HAHA. When I've pressed you for more info on your NY Magpies days all I get is tales of nightlife escapades and memories of debauchery past.

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 01:43

Channel 7 did a story in 2001 or 2002 on Aussie execs in NYC and recorded a game at Van Cortland Park for part of the story .
    I wasn't one of the Execs interviewed (despite marketing the only Aboriginal Australian brand in the USA) but there are 2-3 seconds of a Wombat shaped blur smashing into a midfield pack front-on and blind-turning out of it with the Sherrin in his hands.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 10:42

You need to find that footage, Womby. It's a must.

Sarah · 25/11/2014 at 07:17

Great write up Throttes!! Like Wombats I wasn't even considering Deledio. But if he does manage to get DPP status then he'll be the first picked in my forward line!! Will still consider for MID only, but unlikely.
Good work!!

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 07:26

Thanks Sarah! Yeah, as a mid he may be a bit of a reach. But I had him from the start (about the same price he is this year) and he treated me fairly well until getting hurt. At worst, high on my watch list.

General Soreness · 25/11/2014 at 08:30

Superb work again Throtts. DPP just about makes him a Fwd lock, he wont be in the mix at mid only, unless he is traded in, already have tooooooooo many hopefuls in my mid starting line up. His ability to play almost every game though makes him even more attractive, I did not realise he had been so durable. Again lovely work from our US correspondent.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 09:37

Awww, your high compliments is making my face blush stars and stripes. Yeah, Lids' durability was one of the reasons I brought him in last season…and he gets freakin hurt. Oh well. This season at worst he should be on the watchlist, especially given their opening run and his success vs the Blues.

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 25/11/2014 at 10:31

Lids is a tasty proposition as a FWD… more than likely will make the team if he is FWD eligible.

Hangin out for the official prices and positions!!!

Bloody ripper article Throtts!

General Soreness · 25/11/2014 at 10:39

Agree cannot wait re prices and positions. Draft only 2 more sleeps as well.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 10:43

Those prices and positions are second only to the Higginator as the most anticipated events of preseason.

Tman · 25/11/2014 at 11:57

Great review and a wonderful read, bloody awesome TF. No question he's a lock with DPP.

On the watchlist if mids only. I agree he's due to have a better 2015 than 2014.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 15:14

Hey, thanks Tman! Hope is Hardwick doesn't dick around with him too much and keeps him upfront where the Tiges had the most success.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 25/11/2014 at 14:43

Magnificent throttle. That durability has caused some serious arousal. If he gets DPP in the fwd line that’s pretty much where do I sign. He is one guy id happily spend that coin on in the fwd line. Throttle the mailman has delivered again.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 15:16

My man, INP, thanks buddy! I'm pretty much taking Lids as DPP as an early sign from the SC Gods will be more benevolent this season. I'm starting a small shrine in hopes to ply them with beer backwash and old cheese as a peace offering. Hope it works.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 25/11/2014 at 15:53

Surely that's got to be enough for that deal to be signed off. Delidiou & Sawn in the FWD line would be very tasty. Perhaps then I may consider not bagging the crap out of FWD's if this happens.

Sarah · 25/11/2014 at 16:06

I'm crossing my fingers for Dal Santo in the backline… Ssssshhhhh

Dools · 25/11/2014 at 17:01

If he make s that DPP I'm on him again this season Sarah. Nice!

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 20:53

It's dangerous getting my arousal curve so elevated first thing in the morning, Pieman.

Kev · 25/11/2014 at 14:57

Another brilliant piece of work, throtts! Let's say he doesn't get DPP for 2015, you could do worse than snagging a durable 115ave player for 550k (assuming dimma keeps him in that forward role)

With a fairly quiet off season at punt road, it would be reasonable to expect minimal personnel changes on the park. 75/25 in the mids, dependent on those at a similar price. 100% lock as DPP

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 15:18

Appreciate the kind words, Kev! He's high on the list no matter what. Too much good history. If Cotchin is healthy and plays with a little more attitude, could signal better times ahead for both Lids and team. Just so hoping he's a DPP to make things easier on us. Think Dusty gets DPP it will prevent Lids being assigned it as well?

Tman · 25/11/2014 at 15:34

Good point. I hope they look at percentage of time spent and possesions in th fwd arc plus goals. When do the positions and prices get released anyway? Jan? Feb?

Throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 15:38

Believe it’s in Jan. Not 100% but seems like it was last year.

Tman · 25/11/2014 at 15:42

Thanks Throttle. Cant wait. 😀

Tman · 25/11/2014 at 15:38

Mind you he may be irrelevant as a dpp as 80/90% of teams will have him in the fwd line.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 20:54

That's a risk yet I very much doubt he'll have that level of enthusiasm that Dangerfield had. More will be skeptical than jump aboard.

Dools · 25/11/2014 at 16:56

Great sell TF
Not even close to being considered unless he has DPP, He was great the last 7/8 rounds $445K was his purchase price Round17 before he tonned up from that round 'till round 23.
Keyboard is reminding me I had him 2012 AVG 116, man the good ol days for Dools , 2013 Started with Delids and The Crotch and they stank it up big time Iswore then Never again Ultimate Burnman and The Crotch.
No No Nope Never again……..Until now Maybe! Damn need a drink to stiffen my resolve…
Nawh, Never, Damn it TF Maybe alright!
"To the Fridge!!!" I want to forget the scarring left in 2013, Preening Hairstyle and all… But No Cotchin!!!

General Soreness · 25/11/2014 at 17:19

The burns do leave a lasting reminder.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 25/11/2014 at 18:56

Cotchin lasted 2 weeks in my team Dools. I sacrificed him for his team meate Matt Thomas. Turned out to be a good trade. Cotchin is close to Piemans ever expanding "banned for life" list! Sam Mitchell & Andrew Walker were recently elevated.It's a star studded line up of the who's who of the NO NO!

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 20:57

"Ultimate Burnman"? That's a VERY heavy tag, my friend. If he's playing at half forward in preseason then you may want to have a heavy think on him. Cotchin, yes, I understand. But Lids has shown better since the 2013 burn.

Also, I heard he's got a new stylist. And as the famous footy saying goes, "Simpler grooming ways mean less burnman days."

General Soreness · 25/11/2014 at 17:23

Throtts, on a side note, is the "BROWNS" the worst name for a side in sport, allegiances aside, it doesn't evoke ferocity, fear, joy, love, lust or anything of the sort, it basically says that Hi we are SH!T.

Dools · 25/11/2014 at 18:27

That General is hilarious !!!

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 21:04

Worse than the "Houston Texans", "Orlando Magic" or "Anaheim Ducks"?

Browns were named after their first coach who was a Ohio coaching legend Paul Brown. He was also renown for holding his breath under sub-arctic waters over 5 minutes, skinned a bear with his left molar and right pinkie finger and boxed Joe Louis to a disputed draw outside a Euclid bar. Oh, and he collected butterflies…killer butterflies. He was a BAD man.

And said shit Browns are 7-4 right now. So no fecal scented play this year, my friend.

WombatsFC · 27/11/2014 at 01:15

It's still a crap name.

throttlefinger · 27/11/2014 at 01:18

Naw. It is badass in not trying to be badass which makes it badass. And a legion of worldwide browns backers (an actual club which I have been a member for many years) would agree.

Barwick's Soilders · 25/11/2014 at 17:40

Lids is high in watchlist, locked 100%!!!! if DPP, no Dpp = high on watchlist, I had him from 2009 to 2012, havn't picked him in past 2 seasons, will he make a return??? On a side note I have moved gaz and brodie smith up on my wathclist.

Barwick's Soilders · 25/11/2014 at 17:41

ps nice article throtts, I am in fact a browns supporter my self .

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 21:09

Thanks my fellow Browns fanatic. We're looking much better this year, huh? Although Hoyer damn near gave the game away on Sunday. Uggggh.

Gaz is a lock. Dex cemented that one for me. Brodie will be highly considered for R1.

Like everyone else, cannot wait until prices and positions come out. Make all this SOOO much easier.

Barwick's Soilders · 25/11/2014 at 17:58

Lids:
2014 Ave: 103
In wins: 113.36
In Loss: 86.5

2013 Ave: 103.6
In wins: 111.1
In Loss: 87.5

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 21:06

Nice breakout, my man Barwick. Like most he didn't do that great in loss. But if you look at the end of the season, especially his last game against Port, he held form and still went 110+. Most of those scores this year was coming back from injury.

lostlarrikin · 25/11/2014 at 18:18

Rocked it again there Throts!
Yeah he's definitely ahead of Jimmy B (not sure I can fit them both in).
tbh i've never picked him from the start before, so u have my attention on this one.
80/20 with DPP.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 21:07

Hey Losty! Less mystery around Lids than Jimmy B. Thanks for the rawkin review, my friend.

Tom · 25/11/2014 at 19:29

Peoples thoughts on Daniel Rich next year?

jockreynolds · 25/11/2014 at 20:31

Little birdie told me Dexter might be deploying a belter of a Daniel Rich overview in a week or so Tommy 😉

jockreynolds · 25/11/2014 at 20:33

All the way with your views here Throtts – if he gets the DPP then he's a likely starter. Even without the DPP – like Barwick above – still on the watchlist

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 25/11/2014 at 20:54

Praying for Phil Hughes right now. Tragic events. A nation stunned. Left the ground today on life support. He's in the best of hands & lets hope it's enough for him to pull through.

lostlarrikin · 25/11/2014 at 21:10

With you there INP.
    No words…

Chicko · 25/11/2014 at 23:30

Agreed. Sickening. Absolutely hope for the best for little Hughesy

ReltonRoberts · 25/11/2014 at 21:38

As many have already stated, if DPP (which seems pretty likely) absolute 100% lock. Averaged over 105 in his last 150 games. Far too good to pass up as a Fwd.
If Mid only, no chance he'd be in my starting 4/5 premo mids. Potentially a upgrade target, probably as a POD.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't like having players from the team they support? Lids and Dusty being the exceptions.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 22:33

I think that's a tough call. Truly think you need a split personality: the fan and the SC coach. Think more times than not, bringing the fan into the coach can have disastrous results. Better to make the decision purely through a SC lens and if you happen to like him, that's an added bonus.

I mean, looking back on your final team, how many players from your team do you have? I had 1 (Mumford).

ReltonRoberts · 25/11/2014 at 22:48

Understand where you're coming from, picked Cotch as a starter instead of JPK after weeks of jumping between the two.
      It's frustrating enough being a Richmond supporter but then when it also hurts your SC scores it becomes a nightmare.
      Last year I finished with 2 (Cotch and Dusty), with one being exceptional and the other quite lackluster, albeit not terrible for a M7/8.

The selection of Lids as a Fwd/Mid for me is a no brainer, probably biased as a Tigers support and the fact that he is my favourite player!

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 22:52

Yeah, Lids is my favorite player on the Tiges as well. Maric would be my second. Hope the lack of offseason moves means more progress with the core team. Everyone needs to step up a bit more.

Like you, if Lids is DPP he will be either the first or second lock on my front line.

Tom · 25/11/2014 at 22:02

First time I've ever seen a threat of being moved into the midfield as a negative. Only downside I can see would be losing his 2016 DPP status. Great article though, didn't cross my mind he would be forward eligible until now

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 22:35

Thanks Tom. Great point. Usually the other way for sure. Yet, Bartel has been going DPP up and back the last few years. He probably be a POD upgrade if mid only but has been a must as a DPP.

crackman · 25/11/2014 at 22:06

Hay throttle don’t you just hate that even on an aussi website you get posts of. Go dem boyz

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 22:36

Hey Crackman, what cho saying? My morning brain ain't smell what you cooking.

Chicko · 25/11/2014 at 23:32

Champion work Throtts. Like most here, Lids was nowhere for mine, if he gets his DPP, he will get a likely starting berth. Question, do you think Lids and Dusty will both get DPP, if so, do you both? If could choose just one, which one? Top notch work mate, generated a shed load of discussion.

throttlefinger · 26/11/2014 at 02:06

Thanks my man! Think Dusty has the more upside yet from an SC standpoint if they were both DPP, I'd go Lids. Especially if he stays at half forward. Just killed it at that role at the end of the season. And even in mids at the start, Lids did really well before the Achilles flared up. Dusty was an aggravation last season, so he would fall under the "fool me once, shame on you" rule. Comfort level higher with Lids. What's your take, my man?

WombatsFC · 27/11/2014 at 00:53

Here's something for the late November arousal curve.
      Lids Mid/for Dusty Mid/def

throttlefinger · 27/11/2014 at 00:59

Not going Dusty again if he's DPP. Lids will for sure if he gets the DPP tag.

@BarronVonCrow · 26/11/2014 at 16:23

I kinda hate Deledio, because I always end up saying his last name to myself like Sussudio, and then I spend the rest of the day singing Phil Collins songs to myself. Which isn't the worst thing in the world, but other people do find it tiresome.

Anyway, if he does become FWD eligible he automatically takes over from Dangerfield in my forward line. I may very well run with both him and Martin, but i'll have to wait and see. Great stuff, Throtts.

throttlefinger · 27/11/2014 at 01:02

Thanks B! Not feeling Dusty again. Don't think he'll do too much better than last season. Lids I can see the potential to best last year's numbers if he isn't hampered by his Achilles.

Sussudio is ok to have stuck in your head. Easy Lover on the other hand…rubbish. Like older, Peter Gabriel Genesis more. Although sometimes I get Abacab and Lonely Man in the Corner stuck in my head (thankfully for a short time)

NumbatsFC · 05/01/2015 at 23:42

Hi TF, I hate to disagree with a member of the panel but I think Lids lost his SC relevance when he lost his def/mid status.
Sure he is a courageous and consistent player but to ave less than 105 for a teams #1 mid is very very ordinary and even as a fwd/mid it is still scary low for $550,000.

Thanks for the laugh though, keep 'em coming. please

vinnymac · 01/02/2015 at 22:57

Out of all the fwd premium options, Deledio seems to be the safest option, more so than Bartel, Goddard, Gray, Swan or any key fwd. I want reliability when it comes to starting premiums and by selecting him to start I’d say money well spent.