PiemanIf you were going to turn for 1 bloke it would be Jimmy Bartel.

“Donuts, is there anything they can’t do”. Jimmy Bartel, “is there anything he can’t do”. One of footy’s ultimate Mr fix it’s. In the last 8 seasons it’s worth noting Jimmy has only missed 11 games. But he hasn’t played 22 games in any of them. But 6 seasons of 21 games is durable, very durable. I’d suggest being “rested or managed” would constitute a few of those missed games as well.

Jimmy was a product of the 2001 super draft. What an absolutely incredible draft that was. Abblett, Judd, Hodgey, Swan, Ball, NDS, Bartel, Sam Mitchell, Brian Lake, Steve Johnson, James Kelly, LRT, Montagna, Waite, & the list goes on & on. It was the who’s who of modern day champions.

The cats picked the eyes out of that draft, snaring Abblett, Bartel, Kelly, & SJ. Without them they would not have won 3 flags. And possibly none at all. Bartel, SJ & the emergence of Tom Hawkins were the difference in the 2011 GF. I forgive you Jimmy.

Bartel was pick 8 in the Super draft. And upon reflection that was a value selection. Of the 4 directly picked before him Graeme Polak, Xavier Clarke, Ashley Sampi & David Hale, he’s better than all of them combined. Of all the stars from that draft I’d say that Jimmy is the most versatile player. Super Midfielder, & can play at either end. And he can play key position at either end. Hodgey wouldn’t be too far behind but he doesn’t play as a Key forward. But to be fair with the Key Forwards the Hawks have had over the past decade he doesn’t need to.

But stack up the achievements of Hodgey & Bartel & the similarities are incredible. Both came from the Geelong Falcons, both have become absolute elite utility players, best in the business for mine. Both have won 3 flags, both have won Norm Smiths (Hodgey 2, Bartel 1), but Bartel cancels that out with a Brownlow. Hodgey leads 3-2 in AA selections & is a premiership Captain. You could argue till the end of time who is better. I don’t think I could pick a winner just yet. Wait till they both hang up the boots for that one. I get the feeling the accolades are not done with yet.

There were 2 clear winners in the 2001 Superdraft. And it was the nucleus for each to snare 3 flags. The Hawks got 2 Premiership captains & superstars in Hodge & Mitchell, eventually they got their hands on Brian Lake. Who has proven to be a Norm Smith medallist & dual premiership player in just 2 seasons with the Hawks. The Cats did just as well, as I mentioned above.

2015 Price: $549,000
2015 Position: FWD
Games last season: 21 (pretty much what he plays every year)
Average last season: 102
100+ games last season: 10
Sub 80 games last season: 4
Price range last season: $451K-$572K
Missed games last season: 1 (rested for sure)
Significant history: Triple Premiership player & Brownlow Medalist in 2007. They don’t give out Brownlow’s to spuds. Well unless you’re Shane Woewodin. Throw in the 2011 Norm Smith & 2 All Australian selections & it’s fair to say he has done it all.

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Given the Cats have recruited Mitch Clark & Rhys Stanley I find what role Bartel will play next season all the more intriguing. I’d love to see Chris Scott’s whiteboard to see what his plans were for Jimmy. But if they are going to Play Hawkins, Clarke & Stanley I could see a rebounding defender role for Jimmy next season. Will those additions mean more Midfeild time. It’s a noodle scratcher.

Risk Factor

He can throw in some ordinary scores. His worst score of the season was against Melbourne a 57. He also scored sub 80 against GWS & GC. His other sub 80 game was in rnd 22 against Hawthorn. Given his versatility we have no idea what position he will play next season & how that may impact his scoring.

Selection Purpose

He’s a premium set & forget. He could be a nice safe player to have in your Fwd line at some point during the season.

The Good

• Elite player of the competition.
  • Elite Disposal.
  • For his height he’s the best overhead mark in the business.
  • Can play any position when needed.
  • Super durable.
  • Bye friendly for 2015

The Bad

• Throws in the occasional frustrating score.
  • Can get rested in SC finals.
  • Tough draw for the Cats
  • Took Nadia Coppolino off the market.

The Verdict

He’s returned a season ending average of 99-125 for the last 8 years. So you know what you’re going to get from the Cats superstar. It’s all going to come down to everyone’s structures & whether you can fit him into your team. As a Mid/Fwd (confirmed position FWD only) it’s a tasty proposition. If I was choosing between say a Buddy & Bartel I’d take Bartel in a heartbeat. Key position forwards completely do my head in. If he does pick up The Mid/Fwd status I’ll certainly think about it. You could do a lot worse than Jimmy as a F1, F2 pick. Probably more likely to take a look at his role & put him on my upgrade target list.

35/65 as a starting player
95/5 upgrade target

Pieman

Twitter: @paulmaltman

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock ReynoldsThis article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 06:40

Sterling review, Pieman. Does age factor into equation? He's not a spring chicken anymore so he's high-flying ways may be coming to an end. Regardless, you made an excellent point about where the hell he will be playing. All in all, probably won't start with him but heavily consider bringing in later depending where he ends up playing and its impact on his SC relevance. Well done, my friend.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 07:38

Coming into a 14th season you would start to write blokes off. But not the super draft. GAJ will be sitting in a fwd pocket when he’s 40. Bartel, Hodge, Mitchell & swan look far from done. Can’t see any of them playing 22 games, but certainly worth some thought. Where will Bartel play? Who knows. So probably not a starter throts.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 07:51

Honestly Man of Pies, don't know if I'd have him in R1 even if I did know. Feel he'll start off slow. Better to bring him in later. Cats a dynamic club so not as reliant as Suns are with Ablett.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 08:39

Agree throttle. Better options out there for rnd 1. Not keen on spending over 500k on FWDS or DEF. They always drop in price at some point. If Jimmy drops under 500 that’s value.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 08:54

Don't you need 1-2 "set'n'forget" $500K def and fwd to carry you throughout the year, INP? Can't be just fallen prems as your D/F1 and D/F2, right? Dat be KRAZY, man.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 09:58

McVeigh Parker Danger Dusty & Hanley all high on the radar. I hope they all reatin DPP. But I wont have them all from the start. 2 maybe 3.

Sarah · 24/11/2014 at 10:04

Something to point out is that Bartel only really dropped in price late in the year. Every few weeks he seemed to pump out a 130+ score and maintained his price around the $550k mark.
              If you want Jimmy, it's probably a good idea just to start with him.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 10:22

Still a lot of unknowns regarding the Cats for that to be true, Sarah. Plus, Cats start off with Hawks and Freo, 2 teams he hasn't done as well against. He's either post bye or not at all. Other DPPs will be more enticing…like tomorrow's review (cue foreshadowing music).

General Soreness · 24/11/2014 at 10:39

Is that music like when Jaws is circling the boat, or more like Ross about to get it on with Rachel on friends?

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 10:42

I don't know which of those is more frightening, General.

General Soreness · 24/11/2014 at 10:44

Neither do but I know which outcome I would prefer.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 10:46

Jaws circling Ross and Rachel?

General Soreness · 24/11/2014 at 11:01

Jaws circling Ross, I would be happy to console Rachel.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 21:40

Be fine if he took down both.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 10:26

Yep. Thinking 2 max each line. Hope to fit a third but won't happen if I want to go forth with the prem-enriched midfield.

General Soreness · 24/11/2014 at 10:06

My D1 & D2 may just be that this season or even a full compliment of mid pricers / rookies, struggling to find Defensive value I could spend better elsewhere. I may be a little bit crazy though.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 10:24

Yeah, have to see the prices and who makes the DPP list. And of course, the lot of rooks available. Best plans lay spoiled once the cards are dealt. (christ that sounds stupid)

General Soreness · 24/11/2014 at 10:38

I have no doubt that the data boys will deal some cards that will excite and disappoint and overall I will continue to change my team over 1000 times regardless.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 10:41

Agree, my friend. I'm backing up my computer now so I can start dumping files to make room for the 500+ screenshots I'm gonna take of the Higginator.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 11:33

I can hear higginators begging for mercy already!

Chicko · 24/11/2014 at 07:53

Top notch Pieman! I'm with you, I love Jimmy, think I've had him in my side one way or another for the past 3 years. If he is a DPP (I'm hoping MID/DEF) then I will be very interested. WIll be interesting to see his role in 2015, so along with a lot of players, may need to see where he plays in the pre-season. At the moment, I'm leaning more torwards an upgrade target for Jimmy. Thanks again mate!

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 08:41

Thanks Chicko. 24 goals says I think he will go back to mid fwd. But who knows. He deserves mid fwd def status.

Barwick's Soilders · 24/11/2014 at 08:01

Good none Pieman. It will come down to the structure I use whether or not I slot im in, unlikely at this stage but agree he looks tasty for an uprade prospect.

Barwick's Soilders · 24/11/2014 at 08:01

*one

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 08:42

Always been an upgrade target for me in the past Barwick. And I can’t see that changing. Thanks for your input as always

Kev · 24/11/2014 at 09:20

Cracker as always, Pieman. Even if we do get a look at his role pre-season there's no guarantee he'll stay there. Has the talent to play all over the park. As you pointed out, due to the odd stinker and looking at his price range from last year, he could very well drop 40-50k off his starting price.

Cats only travel twice after their round 13 bye (v Crows and GWS), with 4 of those at Simonds. Could be a tasty upgrade at the back end of the season when trades become a premium.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 10:41

Thanks Kev. I noticed those factors as well & post bye very tasty prospect.

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 24/11/2014 at 10:01

Majestic read Pieman!

When Bartel doesn't play the Pies, I love watching him play…

I agree, a definite upgrade target – a wait and see how Geelong function before swooping…
At the moment it feels as though I have about 500 upgrade targets!

General Soreness · 24/11/2014 at 10:09

I am in the same boat my watchlist is massive, starting to think it would be easier to get the whole list of AFL players, rename it my watchlist, then just put line through blokes when the time is right, might save me some time.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 10:24

Hahaha. Yeah, that watch list grows with each review.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 10:42

Thanks Dex. I have been thinking about my watchlist as well. Post drafts I am going to print off every teams list & start red lining the no chance boys. I think it's the best way to go.

General Soreness · 24/11/2014 at 10:04

Another belter Pieman lovely work. If he doesn't obtain DPP he will be a no for mine, with DPP I am 100% with you on the upgrade target form permitting. I too am also very curious as to his role, I expect that with not only the large inclusions in the forward line, but the departure of Varcoe and Christensen I can see him going middle more often or coming of half back, this may just test his durability at his age. I will be watching with interest pre season but expect he will only find his way into my side if he is in form around the byes.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 10:59

Interesting point you raise General about Vacoe & Christiansen. I thought with Clarke & Stanley added he probably would't be needed up forward. But he's so versatile who knows what they will do with him.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 21:41

That's an excellent point, General. He's a post byes consideration at best.

Sarah · 24/11/2014 at 10:09

Great write up! With only 4 games under 80 last year and the potential to score 120+ (6 times), I don't think you can go passed Jimmy as a starter. He also held his price very well last year, only dropping below $500k after round 18!! Are you prepared to wait that long for him???

General Soreness · 24/11/2014 at 10:47

he does have a high ceiling but 102 average not good enough if Mid only. DPP, 102 might hold down Def spot but not premo Fwd spot in a starting line up. I would be happy to pick him when the price is right, even if that is round 18.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 11:03

Hi Sarah. The only thing i'm not certain on is his role. If he was playing majority mid time then BANG. But no one knows so I think ill go after him when I know more. General's point about Varcoe & Christiansen could add more substance to a mid role. It's a tricky one.

Sarah · 24/11/2014 at 11:32

A knock on effect from losing Varcoe and Christiansen could also mean more midfield time for Josh Caddy?? Although it'll be tough to go there again after taking the gamble this year.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 13:35

Glad I passed on Caddy & Rohan Sarah. Both were not what many hoped for. Caddy for next year is an interesting one. He will be a POD. And as you say he should see more mid time.

Sarah · 24/11/2014 at 13:42

I passed on Rohan, so was able to dodge 1 bullet at least. But got caught with Caddy and went Mitchell instead of Parker… costly!

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 14:07

I hear ya on the Mitchell over Parker call. That was painful. Many of us fell for that one.

General Soreness · 24/11/2014 at 14:53

Made exactly the same calls last year, Caddy was my only real regret as I didnt really rate him but got caught up in the hype. Mitchell was a sound decision at the time it was only in hindsight it was rubbish.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 18:45

There was method to the Mitchell madness
          General. It just turned to shite rather quickly. At least I didn’t pick Rohan.

phil · 24/11/2014 at 13:25

Its a tough one. We dont know his role but it couldnt be any worse from a SC scoring perspective than his role this year and he still knocked out a 100 average!!!!

As far as his DPP goes, as Pieman points out 24 goals will all but guarantee he is a FWD….Hopefully DEF as well, but probably MID

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 13:58

They should give him FWD MID DEF. And iv'e seen him 3rd man up plenty of times so give him Ruck as well.

Tman · 24/11/2014 at 14:16

Jocksta,

Would ylove to see your almost locked for round 1 list, as it stands now (drooling).

Also does anyone know when the player possition listing and prices are released by SC?

Thanks heaps

Tman

jockreynolds · 24/11/2014 at 21:35

Gday there Tman,
    I generally draw up the first team the day after I whack the Christmas decorations up mate. Not sure if I'll get them up this weekend or the one after – depends on the weather.
    I heard a whisper we might see some positions and prices early/mid December mate
    Hope alls well,
    Jock

WombatsFC · 24/11/2014 at 15:16

Thanks Pieman the info is valuable but I am still no nearer to deciding what to do with JimmyB. Even if he's DPP I'm concerned that he might be a bit slower, weaker etc in 2015.
If SC experience has taught me anything it is that when I don't feel 100% confident in a $450k+ player I should preach his obvious advantages to all but not put him in my team.

Jimmy Bart is a Brownlow medal winning superstar and will save many in 2015

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 18:41

Fair call wombats. Im much more of a no for rnd 1. More of a maybe later. We could have our own cliche in this place. “Need
    To see more mid time to consider him”!

WombatsFC · 24/11/2014 at 23:38

The conversation has increased my confusion. That starting history is very attractive even at 500k+ keen to see what sort of position SC give him

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 21:41

Giving away trade secrets so early, Womby?

WombatsFC · 24/11/2014 at 23:22

Haha Nah just covering my butt for when people whinge that my tips were no good.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 23:36

C'mon man. You're usually transparent enough. And the advice is usually top notch.

WombatsFC · 24/11/2014 at 23:45

This is definitely the year for IronBars boy. if he's sub 300k def lock him into D5 for first 10 weeks. Mark my words, before the end of season 2015 the navy blue #7 will again be drawing high praise and insults from the opposition. He's currently my D5 and unless there's a surplus of defender rookies he'll stay there.

throttlefinger · 24/11/2014 at 23:55

I had him last season based on our discussions last year. Made good money off him last season before getting injured. Kid is a player. Given our projection formula, he should be around $301K. Hmmmmmm.

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 00:04

Yeah the qualification to the statement is an obvious 100% recovery. I like watching him play he's a complete 21st century afl footballer.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 00:09

Yep. Sure his style won't show where he's hurting as the kid only knows one gear. Signs may be how much they play him preseason…save him from himself if he isn't 100%.

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 00:21

Yep, future Captain so he'll definitely be a bargain at some stage.

F1 Saint Nick. Talk about a starting history.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 00:25

He is a R1-5 BEAST. Will come in cheaper than last year. And Saints first 5: Dees, GWS, WCE, Crows and Dons.

Hmmmmmm. As always, another fruitful conversation you've instigated, my friend.

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 00:29

I know right!
                  Doesn't matter how far back you go he's as solid as Gaz for the first 5. First 5 has been my weakness for past 3 years

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 00:33

R2 on has been typically mine.

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 00:40

LIAR!
                    I nearly choked on my drink.
                    Throttlefinger smashed wombats by 18 points in round THREE 2014

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 00:46

Well, my downhill descent started around then. That was one of the few highlights.

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 00:56

I have to admit that I felt that Kharma gave you an absolute toweling early on in 2014. So, unless you deserved it you're in with a huge chance for the cash in 2015.

Me, based on 2014 I need to cure Ebola to avoid the spoon in 2015

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 01:00

Hahaha. You did really well in 2014, my man. Tore up the Throttledome.

Naw. I made some horribly rash decisions. 2nd Year beatdown. Did great in planning yet in-game strategies were abandoned for too many "gut" calls. And truthfully, didn't rely on you and the others in the community for feedback. Went on an island hoping to build it into a city. A true fools errand if there ever was one.

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 01:12

I had a massive increase on previous 2 years due mainly to dropping all 300k+ players that I wasn't absolutey 100% positive about during the first 10 rounds. It meant I lost Hodge, BoomBust, Dusty, Cotch, Jeansch and Smitch plus cash from early trades on Tyson, Wright and Impey.
                    But I gained Rocky, Selwood, Gray, Zorko, Libba, Swallow, Wines and Smurph.

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 01:16

Yeah. That's strong planning and execution. Think that rule of thumb for $300K players are key. And being 100% sure on your $500K guys that you can ride them for the whole season.

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 00:35

To add to the reward/value of getting involved in /reading the full conversation at JR I suggest we keep this one here only

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 00:38

Agree. Done.

Tman · 24/11/2014 at 17:22

Lmao. Nice one wombat. Im not sold on Jimmy either. Though his output hasnt changed all that much and 100 avg for def dpp player, dont sound bad at all for 450k. Or am I doing a wombat! 😀

WombatsFC · 24/11/2014 at 23:28

No idea Tman but I'm curious about your name.
    It's sort of like 'TheMan' without the he. Are you perhaps y chromosome deficient?
    I'm not suggesting that blokes of the female gender aren't welcome I'd just prefer it if they were honest and proud like Sarah.

Jimmy B for $450k. Only if the cats take him to cash converters.

rainman · 24/11/2014 at 18:58

Love your write ups Pieman. Aging Jimmy is losing his lustre with me. Can’t see a place for him in 2015, but available DPP will be the key.

He has been a stalwart in my side for many years, but there comes a time when the sun sets on your fantasy career and I think that time might be soon for Jimmy.

As for turning……my unhealthy fascination with Sloane Ranger knows no bounds.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 19:39

Fair point rainman. He’s not anywhere close to my must have list. But he’s never let me down as an upgrade target. Thanks for your kind feedback.

Dools · 24/11/2014 at 19:13

I loved this profile INP,
Delivered with an eye for accomplishments and neutrality,
This is my boy, always come out firing Last 5 years AVG 108 in first 5 games (Stay with me now) from last 5 years. .
2010 – 114, 2011 – 117 (Prem year), 2012 – 101, 2013 – 106, 2014 – 106.
He is a fast starter and has been for the last 5 years (I only went back 5 years).
This guy is a master at reinvention, You need me back I'll play back (better then anyone else) you need me forward? Give me the ball for a clutch kick I'm your man! You want me to say G'day to your mom I'm your man!!
If its dependability you need: Jimmy is the man. If it's a POD: Jimmy is the man. If it's Lock , set and forget: Jimmy is your man, and if you hate Jimmy for taking Nadia Coppolino off the market; Jimmy is your man…..
Keyboard and Next 'G' device love session over!!! Please remain to complete survey Blah! Blah, blah. Blah! Blah, blah.
Up grade if you wish but understand that he has not depreciated until late each season.
Great write up Itchy. 60/40 starter as he has been for last 2 years……."To the fridge!!"

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 24/11/2014 at 19:59

Cheers Dools literally. How can you not like the bloke. In his spare time he fights fires, reunites estranged families & sells cookies for the girl guides. Even as a neutral I love the bloke. Not ashamed to say it. The first 5 games stat is worth some follow up research. It was hard to swallow what he did to my mob in the 2011 GF. But as a purist of the game champions stand up when they are needed. He does it week in week out & wherever his team needs him to do it. Don’t think I’ll find a starting place for him but it’s November & there will be many trips to the fridge & esky before a final call is made.

Dools · 24/11/2014 at 20:31

Mud in your eye INP,
      I have been going to the fridge, listening to Keyboard and next 'G'……… Silent Slipper is well 'Silent'
      great write and even better response's from all the community. yes he is 30 but so is Gary and you all seem to get hard if the wind whispers his name "Gaaaarrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"
      Well my trouser swelling name is "Jimmy" has been since 2007. Most saw Stevie J, I saw Bartel brilliance, 2009 all saw Gary, I saw Jimmy 2011 most saw the value in team play I saw Jimmy at the heart of it all..
      He is my Garry Ablett, My Kryptonite, My Precious!!!
      Thanks Itchy for the solid write up on me man. Still a bit dark that he removed Nadia from the market but!

WombatsFC · 24/11/2014 at 23:35

from what I just read I think perhaps your more angry at Nadia than you are at Jimmy.

Dools · 25/11/2014 at 17:15

I still have not forgiven her for missing a "Shout" at the last shindig!!! Womby

@cafosk · 24/11/2014 at 19:54

Great stuff mate, really appreciating all the off-season work you lads are putting in!

lostlarrikin · 24/11/2014 at 23:00

INP ur work is outstanding and ur a credit to the community.
'twas great to stroll down memory lane and the super draft hall of fame.
It'll take a large codpiece to enshrine the nuggets needed to pick Arbtel from the start.
Risk – Reward…u gotta hang it out somewhere.
I'm with Dools, 60/40 for an F1 gig

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 00:15

I apologise for 'off piste-ing' your outstanding and confusion creating review of a SC icon pieman but it was Mum's birthday so I've had a enough drinks to reveal part of my 2015 strategy.
Beware of suspension and injury history.
Stack for points first 5 rounds
Trade to correct ALL rookies and maximise cash first 2 rounds
Trade heavily into byes. Dump any non top 10 premos for highest $ maker
Trade heavily during byes use all 3 each week if required to get at least 1 new premo p/week
Drink heavily to replace trading addiction.
Pray for good injury/suspension run

throttlefinger · 25/11/2014 at 00:36

Brilliant. And happy belated birthday to Mummy Womby.

WombatsFC · 25/11/2014 at 00:52

Bugga.
It's 12:47am and JimmyB is still the most recent review. I thought this was meant to be updated daily!
C'mon Chicko, General, Dexter, Throttle,Big Fella, Pies people Itchy and otherwise, lift your bloody game.
The first 20 minutes are the most important.

Reckon I might be smashed. No offence intended.
Few more from Sarah would be appreciated.